Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Delaware, Ohio Historical Markers

 
"Meet Me In St. Louis" Home and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
"Meet Me In St. Louis" Home and Marker
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — "Meet Me In St. Louis" Home
This was the first residence of movie director Vincente Minnelli when his family moved to Delaware. At that time Vincente was eleven years old, and the home belonged to his grandparents, Vince and Nina Minnelli. Vincente credited pleasant . . . — Map (db m18250) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 1897 Memorial Tree
Provided for at the 40th Anniversary of the class as a memorial to their departed class mates — Map (db m19659) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — American Legion Post 115 Veterans Memorial — Flame of Freedom
Dedicated to the memory of all who serve or have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. — Map (db m18237) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 2-21 — Camp Delaware — 1862 - 1864
Near this site, the Union army established two camps on either side of the Olentangy River during the Civil War. Both were known as Camp Delaware. The first camp, situated on the west side of the river in the summer of 1862, was where the white . . . — Map (db m12816) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Cherry, Judge, Luckett Memorial
IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR FRIENDS Douglas MacMillan Cherry '85 Ann Campana Judge '73 and Edward Hobbs Luckett '84 who lost their lives September 11, 2001. These gardens and benches are given in their honor by The OWU Friends Fund . . . — Map (db m18328) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Concord Township Veterans Memorial
This plaque is set here in memory of those people from Concord Township who served in the armed forces of the United States of America erected by Concord Township Trustees — Map (db m89534) WM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Cornstalk's Visit and the Negotiators' Escape
In the late days of September, 1776, negotiators William Wilson and Joseph Nicholson left Fort Pitt which is today Pittsburgh. Their goal was to convince the tribes north and west of the Ohio not to join forces with the British. For support, the . . . — Map (db m93221) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Courthouse Hill / The Plum Orchard
(Side A): Courthouse Hill In the early years of Delaware, this area was known as Briar Hill. It is the highest elevation in the city. Situated facing south and approximately at the center of the existing Courthouse, was the site of the first . . . — Map (db m18247) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County Civil War Memorial
In memory of the soldiers and sailors of Delaware County, Ohio, who served in the War of 1861 to 1865 “Their heroic valor ensured our lasting peace” — Map (db m18227) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County War on Terrorism Memorial
Dedicated by the people of Delaware County in memory of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and those who are still fighting to keep us free. Sept 11 2001 - — Map (db m18241) WM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County World War I Memorial
Dedicated to the W.W.I. veterans 1914 - 1918 — Map (db m18242) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County World War I Memorial — For God and Country — Lest We Forget
In honor of the men and women of Delaware County who served their country during the World War 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m88703) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County World War II Memorial
In Honored Memory of Our Heroes Who Gave Their Lives Dedicated to the men and women of Delaware County who served their country in World War II 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m18244) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County: Anti-Slavery Stronghold / The Underground Railroad — Historic Underground Railroad
Delaware County: Anti-Slavery Stronghold A unique combintation of strong-principled religous communities, free black settlements, and tightly knit extended families fostered a wide-spread attitude of willful defiance that made Delaware one of . . . — Map (db m12829) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Eddy, Kroener, and Riesz Memorial
In Memoriam This rock and these three flowering crab trees are placed here in loving memory of three Ohio Wesleyan University students, who died in an auto accident while attending a conference on Russian studies at Oberlin College on September . . . — Map (db m12833) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments
Edwards Gymnasium The gym was dedicated February 22, 1906. It is named in memory of OWU Trustee John Edwards whose initial gift made its construction possible. At the time of its completion it was considered the largest and finest basketball . . . — Map (db m12854) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 8-21 — Elliott Hall — Original Building at Ohio Wesleyan University
Built in 1833 as a health resort named the Mansion House Hotel, Elliott Hall is noted as Ohio's oldest collegiate Greek Revival building. The closure of the Bank of the United States and an economic panic in 1837 created nation-wide financial . . . — Map (db m12822) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 5-21 — George W. Campbell Home
George W. Campbell originally built this highly picturesque structure in 1854. Designed with Romanesque and Norman Revival architectural features - a round tower, arched windows and doorways - and constructed of locally mined blue limestone, the . . . — Map (db m12817) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Oak Grove Cemetery and Arboretum
In 1850, this eighty acre tract known as the Kilbourne farm was purchased for use as a cemetery. The “Old Burial Grounds,” located where Ohio Wesleyan's Selby Stadium now stands, had deteriorated and most of those remains were removed to . . . — Map (db m12851) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Old City Hall and Opera House
The old city hall opened in 1882. Its clock tower rose to a height of 92ft. The first floor housed administrative offices, the police department, the jail, and the fire department. A 1,050 seat auditorium known as the Opera House graced the second . . . — Map (db m12852) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Old Stone Church
This original Old Stone Church bell welcomed familes to worship for 140 years It was replaced after the church fire in 1989 — Map (db m89484) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Patrick J. Foley Memorial Bridge
Dedicated in memory of the former Mayor and Council Member who loyally served the citizens of Delaware from 1920 - 1948. — Map (db m12825) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 1-21 — Pioneer Radio Telescope / Big Ear Radio Telescope
Pioneer Radio Telescope One-half mile east is the site of the former BIG EAR radio telescope. Designed by Dr. John D. Kraus, pioneering radio astronomer at Ohio State University, it had a collecting area of 340 by 70 feet (104 by 21 meters). . . . — Map (db m12813) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — C — Pluggy's Town — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m93688) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — President Hayes Memorial
This tablet marks the birthplace of Rutherford B. Hayes Nineteenth President of The United States Born October 4th, 1822 — Map (db m39762) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Radnor Presbyterian Log Church
Site of the Radnor Presbyterian Log Church, of the Joint Delaware- Liberty- Radnor Congregation built 1819 Distinguished Sunday School Missionary Benjamin W. Chidlaw was a member of this church 1829- 1836 erected 1960 — Map (db m89485) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #1 — The McClure Road — A Series of Four Stones
The McClure Road or Wilderness Way crossed a permanent stream at this point. An “S” bridge has been placed here for utility, flood and wash control. Originally the bridge consisted of large granite boulders as buttress walls, over . . . — Map (db m89680) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #2 — The Atkinson Farm — A Series of Four Stones
The Atkinson Farm was located at this location since the McClure Road ran by this site approximately 500 feet north of here. The holding had ready access to a main road and was not hampered by being isolated deep in the fields as it is today. The . . . — Map (db m89681) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #3 — A Major Road — A Series of Four Stones
Passing this point in the eighteen hundreds was a major road. It was a more direct route from Delaware than the more indirect #36 to this point. Here it was a four corner crossing the Atkinson Lane and the lane leading north to one of the . . . — Map (db m89682) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #4 — Stage Coach Rock — A Series of Four Stones
From the early 1800’s until the early 1900’s a stagecoach road, coming directly from Delaware, passed this point on it’s way to (Millville) Warrensburg, Marysville and Prospect. It was closed by the property holders (the McClure Family) as . . . — Map (db m89683) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Site of Pluggy's Town
Near this location was a large Mingo town of significance during the Revolutionary period of the 1770's. The chief was Te-caugh-ye-te-righ-to, known to the settlers as Pluggy. The village consisted of perhaps 300 inhabitants. Among them were . . . — Map (db m93220) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Site of the First Ohio State Football Game
On the morning of May 3, 1890, Ohio Wesleyan University and The Ohio State University met at this location for a football game. It was the first game in Ohio State football history. Ohio Wesleyan had invited the newly organized team to a contest as . . . — Map (db m18316) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — The Delaware County Fair / Little Brown Jug
Side A The Delaware County Fairground June 28, 1833 a meeting of the citizens of Delaware County convened under an act of the Ohio Legislature to establish The Delaware County Agricultural Society. Officers were elected with Milo Pettibone . . . — Map (db m18301) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — The March 1913 Flood
The rain swollen Olentangy River flowed seven feet above the William Street Bridge during the March 1913 flood, the greatest natural disaster in Ohio history. Statewide, the flood claimed 428 lives and destroyed more than 20,000 homes. In . . . — Map (db m89362) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — The Sulphur Spring
Ohio Wesleyan owes its location to the initial efforts to establish a resort for healing purposes on the site of the Sulphur Spring. When the business faltered, Adam Poe, a pastor and several citizens purchased it and gave it to the Methodists for a . . . — Map (db m18313) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — University Hall and Gray Chapel
University Hall was completed in 1893. It is constructed of Amherst Sandstone. The bell tower rises to a height of 148 feet. The structure houses administrative offices, classrooms, and the legendary Gray Chapel. Among the celebrities who have . . . — Map (db m12845) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — War Savings Stamps
In recognition of the patriotism of the people of Delaware County who oversubscribed their War Saving Quota in 1918 this tablet is gratefully erected by the Ohio War Savings Committee — Map (db m18239) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Wesley Branch Rickey — 1881 - 1965
. . . — Map (db m12843) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 13-21 — Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church
Organized in 1845, Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest congregation of African descent in Delaware, with Reverend Daniel Winslow serving as the first minister. In 1853 the cornerstone of the first church was laid, which was . . . — Map (db m12823) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement