Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Port Lavaca, Texas Historical Markers

 
Battle of Norris Bridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
Battle of Norris Bridge Marker
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17992 — Battle of Norris Bridge
On Buren Road 0.2 miles east of State Highway 238, on the right when traveling south.
In November of 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, the Union Army arrived in Calhoun County. Union and Texas troops rarely met on the field of battle in Texas, as most of the war was concentrated in the east and south of the country. The Union . . . — Map (db m120714) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 12452 — Calhoun County Hurricanes
On South Ann Street at West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ann Street.
Severe storms with high winds, heavy rains and tidal surges, hurricanes have played a significant role in events that shaped Calhoun County's history. Entire towns, including Indianola (a key Gulf seaport and Calhoun County seat) and Saluria . . . — Map (db m120674) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17137 — Calhoun County Participation During World War II
On South Ann Street at West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ann Street.
Before World War II, Calhoun County was primarily involved in farming, ranching and commercial seafood but after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the county became a major participant in the war effort. In November 1940, much of the county's shoreline . . . — Map (db m120676) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 18423 — Cotton Gins of Calhoun County
On State Highway 35 0.3 miles west of Whatley Road, on the right when traveling west.
After Texas was annexed into the United States in 1846, part of what was once De Leonís Colony was organized as Calhoun County, giving the county access to valuable cropland and bays—the most important being modern-day Matagorda . . . — Map (db m117439) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 2268 — Green Lake
On State Highway 35 at State Highway 185, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 35.
Named for the nearby tidal lake of the same name, the community of Green Lake began to develop in the late 1840s, although records indicate there were some settlers in the area before that time. A group of wealthy planters from Kentucky migrated to . . . — Map (db m61292) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 2332 — Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse
On State Highway 35 at State Highway 328 on State Highway 35.
Constructed in 1858, this three-story hexagonal lighthouse was originally located in Matagorda Bay, at the southern tip of Half Moon reef. The beacon served as an aid to ships trading in Port Lavaca and the nearby town of Indianola (14 mi. SE). . . . — Map (db m53111) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17477 — Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr.
On South Ann Street at West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ann Street.
In the mid-twentieth century, Calhoun County was beginning an unprecedented period of growth. Howard G. Hartzog, Sr. was an active community leader who guided the county as a private citizen, county judge and as a state representative by diligently . . . — Map (db m120672) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 18201 — Original Mission Refugio
On State Highway 35 1.6 miles west of State Highway 185, on the left when traveling west.
In 1791, Spaniard priests Manuel De Silva and Joseph Francisco Mariano Garza endeavored to spread the doctrines of Christianity among the native tribes along the Gulf Coast, now called Karankawa, with the added benefit of giving Spain a foothold . . . — Map (db m117448) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 1279 — Port Lavaca
On State Highway 35 at State Highway 238, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 35.
Founded in the aftermath of a Comanche raid on the nearby settlement of Linville, the town of Lavaca (the cow) was established in 1840. The busiest port in the Matagorda Bay area and a major center for over-land export of cattle and other goods, . . . — Map (db m53110) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 3091 — Site of the Town of Linnville
On Farm to Market Road 1090 1.8 miles west of Texas Highway 35, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m75088) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement