Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Solomons, Maryland Historical Markers

 
<i>Scoot</i> (Reproduction) Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, August 30, 2019
Scoot (Reproduction) Marker
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Scoot (Reproduction) — 20' ื 4'6" — V Bottom —
Scoot was built in 1989 by Winslow Womack of St. Michaels, Maryland. Her design is based on plans by Howard I. Chapelle for a 20-foot Chesapeake "sharpie," a craft with a double-ended hull and a shallow, V-shaped bottom. The boat is similar . . . — Map (db m138601) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Spirit — 22' ื 7' — Round Bottom —
Spirit was designed and built by Ernest H. "Dick" Hartge at Eustis, Florida, in 1976. Dick Hartge was originally from Galesville, Maryland, where he built many of the well-known Chesapeake 20s. Spirit resembles a Chesapeake 20 but with . . . — Map (db m138599) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Volunteer
This land-locked "boat" was built over 2011-12 in the form of a scaled-down classic Chesapeake bugeye. The two-masted bugeye was originally developed in the 19th century for oyster harvesting. Solomons built more bugeyes than anywhere else on the . . . — Map (db m138564) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Anchor
Five thousand pound anchor from the USS Valcour, a seaplane tender and a research vessel. Vessel was stripped for salvage at the U.S. Navy Ordinance Testing Station at Solomons in 1976. Anchor was originally aboard USS Portsmouth . . . — Map (db m138562) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Anchor
Iron anchor from round stern, gaffed-rigged bugeye Catherine. The anchor was found in the Chesapeake Bay off Dares Beach and recovered by Capt. Martin O'Berry. The Catherine was built by M. M. Davis in Solomons in 1911 and owned by . . . — Map (db m138563) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Apt Anchorage — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
The point to the north protruding into the river is appropriately called “Point Patience” as it was difficult to maneuver around in the era of sail. The south side of the point provided good anchorage, visibility, protection from other . . . — Map (db m81121) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Becker House — 145 Charles Street — Outreach classroom and guest apartments. —
Built in 1924 by Clarence Davis as a general store operated by Gus, Sam and Hyman Becker; later converted to a laundromat. Acquired by CBL in 2000. — Map (db m138618) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Benning Crab Skiff — 16' ื 5'3" ื 1'8" — Flat Bottom —
This flat-bottom crabbing skiff was built around 1920 by Harry Benning at Galesville, Maryland. A Clinton air-cooled engine was installed in the 1930s, but the former sail rig was retained. She is currently outfitted for trotlining. A trotline . . . — Map (db m138575) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Box Stern Workboat John A. Ryder — 40'6" ื 12' ื 2'6" — V Bottom —
John A. Ryder represents the most common type of Chesapeake Bay workboat, with its V-bottom and flat box-stern. These gradually replaced earlier powerboats like the adjacent Penguin. John A. Ryder was built in 1944 as the . . . — Map (db m138589) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Built for Work — Built for Pleasure — Traditional Boats of Southern Maryland
"The Chesapeake Bay has been known from the earliest times for the speed and beauty of its vessels" — Henry Hall, 1884 For centuries, wooden boats served as the primary means of transportation and communication, and chief tool . . . — Map (db m138566) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Calvert County
Established as Patuxent County in 1654, it was given Lord Baltimore’s family name in 1658. Now the state's smallest county, it once encompassed most of Prince George’s County and parts of Anne Arundel and St. Mary’s counties. A narrow peninsula with . . . — Map (db m3416) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Calvert Marine Museum's Dee of St. Mary's
Stats Like all Chesapeake skipjacks, the Dee of St. Mary's has a shallow draft to negotiate the waters along the shorelines and a wide bottom for stability. She is constructed mostly of white oak and spruce pine.
56' . . . — Map (db m138610) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Chaney Rail Skiff — 16'7" ื 3'4" ื 1' — Flat Bottom —
Rail skiffs were used almost exclusively for hunting rail birds in season in the early autumn. The marshes of the upper Patuxent River were once one of the most well known hunting grounds in the mid-Atlantic region. In use, a gunner stood in front, . . . — Map (db m138595) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
Founded by R.V. Truitt, 1925. Sponsored by Maryland Conservation Department since 1931, in cooperation with Carnegie Institution, Johns Hopkins and Maryland universities, Goucher, St. John's, Washington, and Western Maryland colleges "to afford a . . . — Map (db m3456) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Colonial Dugout or Punt (Reproduction) — 15'3" ื 2'2" ื 1' — Round Bottom Log —
During the early colonial period, boatbuilders were in short supply. As most settlements were built along the Chesapeake's rivers and creeks, there was a great need for small boats of any kind. Colonists, using metal-edged tools, were able to refine . . . — Map (db m138584) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Crab Skiff Pep (Reproduction) — 18'6 ื 3'8" ื 1' — Flat Bottom —
In 1940, noted maritime historian Howard I. Chapelle documented a small flat-bottom, double-ended crab skiff at Deal Island, Maryland. This was one of the many varieties of Chesapeake crab skiffs noted by Chapelle in two articles written for . . . — Map (db m138591) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Drum Point Lighthouse — 1883-1962
This lighthouse, installed in 1883, originally stood 125 yards offshore at the entrance of the Patuxent River to the Chesapeake Bay. The foundation on which the cottage living quarters rest consist of seven wrought iron screw piles, hand bored into . . . — Map (db m3457) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Drum Point Lighthouse
“The necessity of a light at this point is very great, as all vessels bound up or down the Chesapeake put in at this place during the winter to seek protection from floating ice; and as the entrance is formed by a low sand spit, which cannot . . . — Map (db m60232) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Enemy Blockade — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
British warships blockaded the mouth of the Patuxent River after the Chesapeake Flotilla and Royal Navy skirmished off Cedar Point to the south June 1, 1814. Drum Point to the north served as a major British anchorage. The British made mischief in . . . — Map (db m81120) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Five-Log Canoe Shamrock — 40'8" ื 9'4" ื 3'10" — Round Bottom Log —
Shamrock was built around 1908 near Poquoson, Virginia. She has the dimensions of a sailing "brogan," a predecessor to the larger bugeye, but was probably designed as a powerboat. By the time of her construction, few large log-hulled boats . . . — Map (db m138587) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Hooper Island Launch Penguin — 45' ื 9'8" ื 4'2" — V Bottom —
Penguin represents a once-numerous class of V-bottom boats known as Hooper Island launches, draketails, ducktails, or torpedo-sterns. Many were built on Hooper Island, Maryland, in the 1920s and 1930s; hence the name. The launches were . . . — Map (db m138592) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Humphreys Rowing Skiff — 12'6" ื 4'2" ื 6 — Flat Bottom —
Flat-bottom skiffs offer the advantage of simple design and low cost construction. This skiff was built around 1928 by Harry Humphreys of Rousby Hall, Maryland, a carpenter at M. M. Davis & Son shipyard, who intended it for local transportation and . . . — Map (db m138568) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — J. C. Lore & Sons Oyster House
Joseph C. Lore, Sr., began shipping seafood from Solomons Island in 1888 and established a packing house at this site in 1912. Three generations of Lore family packed and shipped Patuxent River oysters, crabs and fish until 1978. Present building . . . — Map (db m3459) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Jenkins Creek Crab Scrape Geda — 17'6" ื 6' ื 2'2" — V Bottom —
Geda is a scaled-down version of a wide V-bottom boat once commonly found in the area of Tangier Sound. The boat was built by Leon Marsh of Rodes Point, Smith Island, Maryland, around 1955, but has its origins in earlier sailing crab scrapes. . . . — Map (db m138576) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Jolly Boat — 16' ื 4'8" ื 8" — Round Bottom —
A jolly boat is a general purpose ship's boat usually carried about deck or on stern davits. This example was formerly carried by the 75-foot gasoline launch Chicago, built in 1916 by the St. Louis Boat Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. . . . — Map (db m138578) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Leatherbury Sailing Bateau — 19'8" ื 7'2" ื 1'8" — V Bottom —
Traditionally, Chesapeake V-bottom sailing craft were commonly referred to as "bateaux," a term not much used today. This bateau was built by Capt. Ed Leatherbury (1863 - 1952) of Shadyside, Maryland, in the early 1900s and was used as part of his . . . — Map (db m138582) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — M. M. Davis Shipyard — 1885–1974
1885 Marcellus M. Davis established his shipyard at this location, in 1913 the yard was moved to larger quarters across the harbor on Mill Creek. During the 1930’s, Davis’ yard produced many outstanding wooden yachts which brought international fame . . . — Map (db m3460) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Mansueti Laboratory — 146 Williams Street
Built in 1980 and dedicated in 1992 to honor Dr. Romeo Mansueti (1923-1964), a former CBL fishery scientist, naturalist, and biological illustrator. This building is home to CBL's administrative offices. Housed within are the Business . . . — Map (db m138619) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Marine Railway Gears
Gift: Gorman A. Buckler CMM74.521 Set of cast iron gears formerly used to operate the marine railway at M.M. Davis and Son shipyard on Mill Creek, Solomons, Maryland: The gears were originally powered by steam and later converted to electricity. A . . . — Map (db m60231) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Menace on the Horizon — Star-Spangled Banner National Historical Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Terror reigned along the Patuxent River in 1814. British invaders plundered and burned towns and plantations on both sides of the river. Menacing warships within view on Somervell’s Island (present-day Solomons) blockaded the river’s mouth, cutting . . . — Map (db m81097) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Oyster Skiff — 25' ื 8' ื 2' — Flat Bottom —
This large, flat-bottom, oyster-tonging skiff was built by Ruby Dixon at Olivet, Maryland, in 1948. From 1959 until its donation in 1990, the skiff was owned by Melvin Owen Grover who used her to hand-tong for oysters in the Patuxent River. The boat . . . — Map (db m138580) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Parish House — 180 Farren Avenue
Built in 1954. After acquisition by CBL in 1991, it was named after the Solomons Episcopal Rectory and Parish House formerly occupying the site part of which had been used by CBL founder Dr. R. V. Truitt as a research laboratory. Home . . . — Map (db m138620) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Ped-L-Craft
In 1939, the M.M. Davis shipyard of Solomons built a fleet of a wood pedal-powered pontoon boats called the Ped-L-Craft for the Pedal Boat Company of America. The Ped-L-Craft consists of a stable platform mounted on two pontoons and propelled by one . . . — Map (db m138603) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Perils along the Patuxent — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Southern Maryland was a dangerous place to live in the hot summer of 1814. British raiding parties traveled the Patuxent River and swept through the countryside terrorizing civilians and taking provisions for British troops gathering in the area. . . . — Map (db m81096) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Portion of Hull, Unidentified Bugeye — Round Bottom Log
The hull fragment from an unidentified bugeye was recovered from the Magothy River in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The fragment forms part of the bottom of a seven- or nine-log bugeye of early vintage. Clearly evident is the slot in the center log . . . — Map (db m138588) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Potomac River Dory Boat Let's See — 26' ื 8'8" ื 2'8" — V Bottom —
Potomac River dory boats were one of the few V-bottom workboats built on the Chesapeake that were planked fore-and-aft on the bottom, rather than cross-planked. This type was developed on the Potomac River in the later 1800s for oystering under . . . — Map (db m138581) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Power Bateau — 19' ื 6'9" ื 1'4" — V Bottom —
This nineteen-foot oystering and crabbing boat was built in 1983 by Francis Goddard of Piney Point, Maryland. Although of relatively recent origin, her design is traditional and she is one of the last of her type to be built in Southern Maryland. . . . — Map (db m138602) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Pre-Colonial Dugout (Reproduction) — 14'8" ื 2'2" ื 1'1" — Round Bottom Log —
Dugout log canoes were used (and still are used) by many primitive societies throughout much of the world. The first colonists to the Chesapeake found the local Indian using the dugouts for transportation and fishing. A suitable tree trunk was . . . — Map (db m138583) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Sailing Bateau Witch of the Wave — 16' ื 5'11" — V Bottom —
Ernest H. "Dick" Hartge started building boats at Galesville, on the West River in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, in the 1920s. He later acquired a fleet of hire boats built and formerly owned by Ed Leatherbury of nearby Shadyside. Hartge moved to . . . — Map (db m138600) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Saunders House — 140 Charles Street — Faculty and Staff offices and meeting facilities —
Built in the early 1890s as a general store and ice cream parlor run by Thomas and Bertie Saunders. In the 1930s it became a gathering place for local watermen. Acquired by CBL in 1994. — Map (db m138617) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Sewell Draketail Workboat — 36' ื 7'6" ื 2'8" — V Bottom —
This 36-foot powerboat is a local type usually described as a Hooper Island "draketail" or "ducktail." It was developed in the early years of the twentieth century and known for its sleek lines and round, reverse-rake stern. Built at Broomes . . . — Map (db m138597) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Solomons House & Visitor Center — 200 Farren Avenue — CBL Visitor Center. —
The oldest structure in Solomons, dating from ca. 1780. Isaac Solomon, the island's namesake, lived here after he bought the island in 1865, establishing the first oyster cannery on the Patuxent River. Acquired by CBL in 1994. — Map (db m138621) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Solomon's Island
Originally called Bourne's (1680), then Somervell's Island (1740). It became known as Solomon's Island (1867) because of Isaac Solomon's oyster packing facilities here. Shipyards developed to support the island's fishing fleet. The famed "bugeye" . . . — Map (db m8929) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — The Ark of Hungerford Creek
The Ark of Hungerford Creek has its origin thousands of miles away in Stettin, Germany, with the construction in 1906 of passenger liner Kronprinzessin Cecilie for the North German Lloyd company. After a number of transatlantic voyages the . . . — Map (db m138614) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — The Business End of a Screwpile
Screwpile lighthouses like Drum Point get their name from the pilings which were screwed into the seabed to support the lighthouse structure. This cast-iron auger and attached section of wrought-iron pile were recovered from the original site of . . . — Map (db m138609) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — The Chesapeake Bay Bugeye — A Memorial to Those who Fished the Bay and Built Their Boats
The first frame bugeye, the Carrie, was built on Solomons Island in 1870. The bugeye was a Chesapeake Bay work boat. It was used in the oystering industry for hauling freight. The bugeye is a symbol of the Chesapeake Bay Heritage of Solomons . . . — Map (db m138615) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — This flagpole
This flagpole is reputedly made from the mast of the sailing brogan James Aubrey. The mast was removed when the vessel was converted to power and used to transport students to the Solomons School from 1925 to 1935. The Solomons School is now . . . — Map (db m138611) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Three-Log Canoe — 31'7" ื 6'11" ื 2'4" — Round Bottom Log —
The three-log canoe such as this was the classic oystering tonging boat of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Watermen used long-handled tongs, in a scissors-like fashion, to scoop oysters from the shallower waters of the bay and . . . — Map (db m138586) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Two-Log Canoe Bar Dog — 26' ื 5' ื 2' — Round Bottom Log —
Bar Dog got its name from the oyster toadfish, called "bar dogs" by watermen. This is a rare two-log canoe, built in Virginia around 1870. At some point, the canoe was converted from sail to power. It had a Palmer Bros. marine engine when it . . . — Map (db m138585) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Waterman's Shed
This shed was built ca. 1900 at Otterpoint, Patuxent River. Orrie Laveille lived in this shed during the oyster season, from which he oystered on the Patuxent River. The shed was moved by barge around 1910 to Tongue Cove, Helen Creek by the Tongue . . . — Map (db m138612) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Welcome to Drum Point Lighthouse
"The necessity of a light at this point is very great, as all vessels bound up or down the Chesapeake put in at this place during the winter to seek protection from floating ice; and as the entrance is formed by a low sand spit, which . . . — Map (db m138607) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Whittington Rail Skiff — 16' ื 3'2" ื 1' — Flat Bottom —
Luther E. Whittington built this rail skiff in 1926 for Clifton O. Whittington, who started as a professional "pusher" of rail skiffs on the Patuxent River in 1923. In the marshes, boats were pushed using a long push pole. Two oak paddles were also . . . — Map (db m138596) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Wm. B. Tennison
Wm. B. Tennison was built in 1899 by Frank Laird at Crab Island near Oriole, Maryland. Her hull is constructed in traditional Chesapeake log canoe fashion-nine large pine logs. Hollowed out and fastened together. She was built as a two-mastered . . . — Map (db m60233) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Wm. B. Tennison
Wm. B. Tennison was built in 1899 by Frank Laird at Crab Island near Oriole, Maryland. Her hull is constructed in traditional Chesapeake log canoe fashion — nine large pine logs, hollowed out and fastened together. She was built as a . . . — Map (db m138608) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Yawl Boat — 17'3" ื 7'3" ื 2'8" — Round Bottom —
Chesapeake Bay sailing vessels typically carried a small boat, commonly referred to as a "yawl boat." This was used to help maneuver in and out of harbors, or other restricted waters, or when the wind dropped. This yawl boat was built in Deltaville, . . . — Map (db m138594) HM

55 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement