Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Brookings County South Dakota Historical Markers

 
Brookings County South Dakota Veterans Memorial Marker image, Touch for more information
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, June 16, 2018
Brookings County South Dakota Veterans Memorial Marker
South Dakota (Brookings County), Brookings — Brookings County South Dakota Veterans Memorial
Near 6th Ave.
1922 To The Unknown Dead — Map (db m118952) WM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Brookings — Brookings/Hillcrest Park
Near 6th Street (U.S. 14) at 17th Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Brookings: The county seat of Brookings County was platted October 3-4, 1879, when the Northwestern Railroad reached here. Some of the early store buildings were moved overland from Fountain and Medary, which soon became ghost towns. In November . . . — Map (db m63968) HM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Brookings — First Convention in Brookings County
On 471st Ave at 219th St, on the right when traveling south on 471st Ave.
Created 1862: Organized 1871: Convention 1877 The County, created on paper in 1862, was organized July 3, 1871 and by 1877, there were communities at Lake Hendricks, Oakwood, Lake Village and Medary, and all had delegates to the . . . — Map (db m121188) HM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Brookings — Heart of Brookings
On 4th St at 6th Ave. on 4th St.
Brookings County Courthouse The Renaissance Revival-style courthouse was built in 1911 for $100,000 to replace the original 1885 two-story $7,000 wooden courthouse. Oscar Lee, an amateur artist from Volga, South Dakota, painted . . . — Map (db m118947) HM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Brookings — Medary
On 471st Ave at 219th St, on the right when traveling south on 471st Ave.
. . . — Map (db m121186) HM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Brookings — Medary Townsite1857-58 1871-79
On 471st Ave at 219th St, on the right when traveling south on 471st Ave.
The Dakota Land Company of St. Paul, hoping to make this site the capital of a proposed Dakota Territory, started a town here, naming it for Samuel Medary, Governor of Minnesota Territory. Towns were also begun at Flandreau and Sioux Falls, . . . — Map (db m121187) HM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Elkton — Hole-In-The-Mountain
On Highway 14 0.5 miles east of 487th Ave, on the right when traveling west.
  All early maps (1838-1879) showed the Hole-in-The-Mountain or Mountain Pass where Coteau Perce creek drained SW from Lake Benton to the Big Sioux. It is 8 miles SE. Nicollet & Fremont, first explorers, visited the "Hole" on July 6, 1838 . . . — Map (db m140766) HM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Elkton — South DakotaYou are now Entering
On 215th Street (U.S. 14) 0.5 miles east of 487th Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Front

Created with its Twin North Dakota, 2 November 1889, Its 77,047 square miles ranks 15th in size. Those square miles include: exceptional corn land in the SE, grass land in the W, wheat land in the N and productive land all . . . — Map (db m140765) HM

South Dakota (Brookings County), Volga — Volga, South Dakota Veterans Memorial
On Samara Ave. at W 3rd St., on the right when traveling south on Samara Ave..
Veterans Memorial — Map (db m118931) WM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement