Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lamar County Texas Historical Markers

 
Central National Road Marker near Union Station. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
Central National Road Marker near Union Station.
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8188 — Central National Road of the Republic of Texas
Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820s. This was part of the national effort of Republic of Texas to open a good road system. Congress in 1839 . . . — Map (db m96917) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 17580 — Evergreen Cemetery
The Evergreen Cemetery is the final resting place for many notable citizens of Paris and Lamar County. Due to the steady growth of the area, the old cemetery of Paris, located near the center of town, quickly became too small. In 1866, the Evergreen . . . — Map (db m111857) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 13063 — First Baptist Church of Paris
In 1854, the Rev. Willis M. Pickett and six charter members formed the Union Baptist Church of Paris. Remaining in its original location, the church grew dramatically, eventually becoming First Baptist Church. Many prominent Baptist leaders have . . . — Map (db m110810) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8195 — First National Bank of Paris
Organized and opened for business at its present location in 1886 by William J. McDonald (1844-1926), Civil War veteran and lawyer. Earlier he had opened the Citizens Bank of Clarksville and in 1889 he established a Delta County Bank. Under his . . . — Map (db m97619) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 12008 — John James Culbertson (March 16, 1853 - September 27, 1932)
Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, John James Culbertson grew up in large northeastern cities. He married Emily Lou Lee of New Jersey in 1882 and soon became a salesman for a cotton product company based in Alabama. During his southern travels, . . . — Map (db m97618) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8204 — Lamar County
Created December 17, 1840 from Red River County Organized in 1841 Named in honor of Mirabeau B. Lamar, 1798 – 1859 Father of Texas education President of the Republic of Texas 1838 – 1841 Lafayette, 1841 . . . — Map (db m96841) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 12313 — Lamar County Courthouse
The March 1916 fire that left downtown Paris in ruins ravaged Lamar County's massive 1897 Romanesque courthouse and tower, once thought indestructible. On April 20, 1916, the Lamar County Commissioners Court chose local designers and builders . . . — Map (db m97623) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8205 — Lamar County, C. S. A.
On uneasy border of Indian Territory in the Civil War. A military transport center, on the Old Central National Road surveyed in 1844 by the Republic of Texas, to run from San Antonio, crossing Red River north of Paris. A rich farming area. Lamar . . . — Map (db m97621) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8214 — Paris
This site marks the first call for survey of the city of Paris, Republic of Texas, 1844. Geo. W. Wright, early settler, soldier in Texas War for Independence, congressman of the Republic, donated 50 acres of land for Lamar County Seat. Plat of lots, . . . — Map (db m97626) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 17903 — Paris Cotton Compress
In the early 1880s, cotton began to dominate Texas agriculture as a principal cash crop, with over two million cultivated acres producing 800,000 bales of cotton per year. With the 1876 arrival of the first railroad line to Paris, local businessmen . . . — Map (db m96687) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8217 — Paris Fire Department
Fire protection in Paris dates to the early 1870s, when a group of businessmen led by Willet Babcock organized a volunteer fire company. Known as Phoenix Fire Company No. 1, the volunteer unit continued in operation until the city created a paid . . . — Map (db m96913) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8218 — Paris Lodge No. 27, A.F. & A.M.
The 1845 charter establishing Paris Lodge No. 27 was the last charter issued by the Grand Lodge of Texas during the Republic of Texas period. The Lodge was organized by George W. Wright, founder of Paris, as a refuge for transient immigrant Masons. . . . — Map (db m110845) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8219 — Paris Public Schools
Although attempts to provide a public school system in Paris were made as early as 1877, it was not until 1884 that the system as it is known today was organized. Under the strong leadership of Mayor John C. Gibbons, W.B. Aikin, E.L. Dohoney, and . . . — Map (db m110812) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8185 — Robert Cooke Buckner (January 3, 1833 - April 9, 1919)
Outstanding Baptist Minister. Born in Tennessee, he moved to Texas 1859, and became pastor of this congregation in 1861. A new church building was erected here, and through his guidance, the congregation grew. First Baptist “Ladies . . . — Map (db m110808) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8203 — Site of Lafayette
First county seat of Lamar County A clapboard courthouse was built by John Lovejoy on 40 acres donated by John Watson Here court was held June, 1841 to June, 1843 John A. Rutherford, Chief Justice; John R. Craddock County . . . — Map (db m110614) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8223 — St. Joseph's Hospital
In 1911 the Catholic bishop of Dallas, Joseph Patrick Lynch (1872-1954), beseeched the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to administer St. Joseph's Infirmary in Paris. The congregation, based in San Antonio and experienced in hospital care, . . . — Map (db m97599) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8216 — The Paris Fire, 1916
Although Paris was founded in the mid-1840s, many of its historic structures were lost in a fire that destroyed almost half the town in 1916. The blaze started about five o'clock on the afternoon of March 21, 1916, at the S. J. Long Warehouse near . . . — Map (db m97609) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 13023 — Travis Clack Henderson
One of eight children, Travis Clack Henderson was born in Alabama on June 24, 1836 to John Henry and Minerva Bernard Henderson. In 1856, he moved to Paris, Texas, and established himself as a farmer. He joined the local militia in 1860. During the . . . — Map (db m112218) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 13688 — Union Station
Attempts to bring rail service to Lamar County began in the mid-1800s, but a line did not reach the city of Paris until one was built to the south side of town in 1875. Residents raised money to entice the St. Louis & San Francisco (Frisco) to . . . — Map (db m96916) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the books title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.