Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Manatee County Florida Historical Markers

 
WIde view of the “Bean's Point”/Early Legend Marker image, Touch for more information
By PaulwC3, March 14, 2014
WIde view of the “Bean's Point”/Early Legend Marker
Florida (Manatee County), Anna Maria — F-171 — “Bean's Point” / Early Legend
In May 1894, Anna Maria Island's first modern-day pioneer -- George Emerson Bean -- took up a homestead, signed by President Wm. McKinley, that embraced the island's entire north point. Other daring settlers, such as Samuel C. Cobb and John R. . . . — Map (db m72419) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Anna Maria — F-253 — Passage KeyGateway to Historic Tampa Bay
Less than a mile to the north lies Passage Key, marking the southerly entrance into Tampa Bay. Since Ponce de Leon explored this coast in 1513, this island has served to guide ships into the great bay beyond, called by early Spanish explorers . . . — Map (db m72420) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Anna Maria — F-708 — The Anna Maria Pier
Built in 1911, the Anna Maria City Pier welcomed visitors and residents to the island city arriving by steamship. The 776-foot-long pier accommodated paddle wheelers such as the Favorite and the Mistletoe prior to the construction of . . . — Map (db m72421) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Anna Maria — The City of Anna Maria Historical ParkThe Historical Society of Anna Maria Island Museum / Belle Haven Cottage / The City Jail
(side 1) The Historical Society of Anna Maria Island Museum Built in 1920 as an ice house on 402 Pine Avenue, the building was subsequently used as city hall, the police department, a firehouse and the Turtle House before the . . . — Map (db m72447) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Anna Maria — F-792 — The Island Playhouse
The Island Playhouse is one of the oldest buildings on Anna Maria Island. The simple frame vernacular building was once the home of William H. Gillett and was originally located in the Town of Parrish in Manatee County. In 1912, it was barged down . . . — Map (db m72446) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-751 — 9th Avenue West Bridge
At this location over Wares Creek once stood one of the oldest concrete arch deck bridges in the State of Florida. Designed by noted local civil engineer Freeman H. Horton, the former 9th Avenue West bridge was constructed during World War II by the . . . — Map (db m100899) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-786 — Adams and Rogers Cemeteries
Adams Cemetery, once known as the Fogartyville Colored Cemetery, began in 1896 when William H. and Eliza Atzeroth Forgarty donated four acres of land to the community for use as a public cemetery. The cemetery’s earliest marker is the final resting . . . — Map (db m100900) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Bealls Centennial
(side 1) In April of 1915, twenty-two year old Robert M. Beall opened a simple dry goods store on this block of Old Main Street. Pricing nothing over a dollar, he named it the Dollar Limit. Beall invested his money in merchandise so when . . . — Map (db m100947) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-500 — Bradenton Depot
The Atlantic Coastline Railroad Company Passenger and Freight Depot Bradentown Florida, built c. 1925, became the Bradenton Depot when Bradentown dropped the w from its name. The historical significance on local and state levels was tremendous as . . . — Map (db m72428) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Bradenton General Hospital
On this site from January 1, 1921-May 31, 1957 stood the Bradenton General Hospital owned and operated by Dr. C.W. Larrabee and wife, Dovie Collins Larrabee for the use of all doctors and benefit and care of all people in this area. — Map (db m110641) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Camp Weatherford
(side 1) With baseball suspended for the duration of WWII, present-day McKechnie Field was closed between 1941-48 and taken over by the U.S. Army and named Camp Bradenton. Under command of Maj. Joseph H. Dunlap, it was designated a Signal . . . — Map (db m102469) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Courthouse Square
(side 1) In 1892, John Crews Pelot deeded this 200 x 400 square foot parcel of land to Manatee County for the sum of $200.00. The land was cleared at a cost of $62.50, and a new courthouse, the first in "Braidentown" and the county's third . . . — Map (db m100948) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — De Soto PointDe Soto National Memorial
Picture the past as you stand here. Indians once gathered oysters and clams along this shore and fished the river. On your left are remnants of a mound composed of shells they discarded after countless meals. Long after the Indians were gone road . . . — Map (db m125368) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — De Soto Trail MonumentDe Soto National Memorial
The De Soto Trail Monument was placed here by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America. The granite monument was dedicated on May 30, 1939, during the 400th anniversary of the landfall of the Hernando de Soto expedition. In 1948 this . . . — Map (db m125323) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — DeSoto TrailDe Soto National Memorial
Near here Hernando DeSoto with his men landed May 30, 1539 and began his march westward to the Mississippi River. This marker commemorates the 400th anniversary of his arrival on the shores of Florida. — Map (db m125358) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Edmund Lee Family Graveyard and the Lonesome Grave/William R. Whitaker House
(side 1) Edmund Lee Family Graveyard and the Lonesome Grave According to local history, members of the Lee family are buried here. Rev. Edmund Lee, a Presbyterian Minister, his wife Electa, and their daughter Sarah, came to the . . . — Map (db m112518) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-137 — First Manatee Courthouse / Manatee Methodist Church/ Established 1849
Marker Front: Manatee County was created by legislative action signed January 9, 1855, from Hillsborough, St. Lucie, and Monroe Counties. Five years later, in 1860, Josiah Gates and Mary, his wife, deeded to Manatee County a parcel of land . . . — Map (db m72425) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton
(side 1) The First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton is the oldest congregation in the bounds of the original Village of Bradenton and the oldest south of Tampa. In 1885, land was deeded to five trustees for the planned Braidentown . . . — Map (db m81754) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-281 — First Settler's Homesite
Marker Front: Located a few yards from this spot near the banks of the Manatee River is the site of the log home of Josiah Gates. Gates was the first Anglo-American settler in the entire Manatee area which at that time extended southward . . . — Map (db m72426) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Florida Highway Patrol SchoolBradenton, Florida 1939
(side 1) In 1939, the Legislature created the Department of Public Safety and Florida Highway Patrol. Governor Fred P. Cone appointed W.F. Reid director in September. On October 1, Major H. Neil Kirkman was appointed Commandant of the . . . — Map (db m100925) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Florida's Earliest Courthouse Building
Manatee County's first Courthouse was built in 1859-1860, and is the oldest remaining building constructed as a county courthouse in the State of Florida. It was built on the original Courthouse Square at 15th Street East and Fourth Avenue, two . . . — Map (db m43101) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg
(side 1) Former Town of Fogartyville This marker stands on the eastern boundary of Fogartyville, a town founded on land acquired under the Homestead Act after the War Between the States by Fogarty bros., Capt. Bartholomew (Tole), . . . — Map (db m100901) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Hernando de SotoFlorida De Soto Trail — Off to Seek His Fortune
In Panama with Pedrarias Hernando de Soto, second son of a country hidalgo, or minor noble, was born around 1500 in the Extremadura region of Spain. At age 13, he left home to seek his fortune in the New World. After proving he had . . . — Map (db m126567) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Holy Eucharist Monument and Memorial CrossDe Soto National Memorial
The Hernando de Soto Catholic Memorial, also known as the Holy Eucharist Monument, and the Memorial Cross, just across the bridge from here, are owned by the Catholic Diocese of Venice, Florida. The base stone of this monument was quarried and cut . . . — Map (db m125790) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — La Florida's Early PeoplesFlorida De Soto Trail
Born of Nomads The early peoples of the Americas were descended from nomadic tribes that arrived during the last Ice Age—more than 12,000 years ago. Florida’s climate resembled that of savannah Africa. Early hunters tracked mastodons, . . . — Map (db m126568) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Lincoln High School
The Manatee County Board of Public Instruction purchased property from Mr. Alden J. Adams on July 25, 1914, and from Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Singletary on May 17, 1922, “for the purposes of a school for Negro children.” The old Manatee . . . — Map (db m72415) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-132 — Major Adams Cemetery
This plot was donated by Major Alden Joseph Adams to the village of Manatee in 1892 "to be used as a burying ground forever." It was first called New Cemetery. Members of pioneer families, including Major Adams, are interred here. The property is . . . — Map (db m72423) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Manatee Academy
side 1 The first advanced school erected in Manatee County was built about 200 feet east of this site on land deeded 15 August 1876 expressly for education and cultural purposes by Edmund Lee and his third wife, Elizabeth, to Trustees of . . . — Map (db m72937) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-133 — Manatee Burying Ground
Marker Front: This is one of the oldest organized burying grounds on the Gulf Coast of Florida. The property was deeded on May 30, 1850, and since 1892 only immediate members of families already interred here can be buried in the cemetery. . . . — Map (db m72424) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-126 — Manatee Mineral Spring
Here flowed a spring which had been used by Indians and was found by Manatee's first white settler, Josiah Gates, who settled nearby in January 1842. It served Branch Fort, when the early settlers camped nearby for protection from the Seminole raid . . . — Map (db m72422) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-294 — Palma Sola
Marker Front: In 1868, firearms manufacturer James Warner moved his family from Springfield, Massachusetts, to Manatee County, where he hoped to regain his health. He built a home on the shore of the Manatee River about half a mile east . . . — Map (db m72427) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Palma Sola Community Church
(Side 1) This historic non-denominational church, first known as "The Church in the Wildwood" because of location, was established and constructed in 1886 when Asa Pillsbury, Sr. donated land for a church, cemetery and school to trustees . . . — Map (db m102973) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Shaw's Point Archeological DistrictDe Soto National Memorial — Riverview Pointe
Riverview Pointe and De Soto National Memorial are part of the Shaw's Point Archeological District. This thirty-five-acre archeological district is on the National Register of Historic Places and preserves a large prehistoric coastal village site . . . — Map (db m125370) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Tabby House RuinsDe Soto National Memorial
Although the origin of the tabby ruins is not known for certain, William H. Shaw is credited with its construction soon after settling here in 1843. The Shaw family lived and worked here until a Seminole Indian uprising in 1856 drove them to Key . . . — Map (db m125369) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The 1887 Church
Construction of this historic church was started in 1887. Completion was delayed until 1889 due to a yellow fever epidemic which claimed the lives of the pastor and many members of the congregation. Used to house the first Christian congregation . . . — Map (db m43102) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Bunker Hill School
Throughout America, the one-room schoolhouse was a fixture and the educational mainstay for many years. This one-room schoolhouse was built in 1908 to serve the community of Bunker Hill, which is located in the northeast corner of Manatee . . . — Map (db m43108) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Carnegie Library
(Side 1) This Carnegie Library was built in 1918 with funds from the Carnegie Corporation. It is one of the 1,946 Carnegie Libraries built in the United States under the direction of Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish immigrant who rose from . . . — Map (db m81714) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Florida Cracker Trail
This point is the western terminus of the Florida Cracker Trail designated by the Florida State Legislature in 1987. The Cracker Trail follows an east/west route across the State of Florida that has existed since approximately 1850. This trail was . . . — Map (db m43076) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Fogarty Boat Works
In 1866, three brothers, John, Bartholomew, and Bill Fogarty, settled in Manatee County and established a ship building and coastal trading schooner base on the shore of the Manatee River. In the years before automobiles and railroads, Manatee . . . — Map (db m43104) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Stephens House
A prime example of the “Cracker Gothic” style, this home was built in 1912 by the Will Stephens family. It is an excellent representation of a Florida rural frame house during the period between the 1870's and World War I. This third . . . — Map (db m43106) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Town of Manatee
Side A The Town of Manatee was officially chartered on June 19, 1903. This intersection of Central Street (present day 9th Street East) and Manatee Avenue became the heart of the town’s business district after the arrival of the Florida West . . . — Map (db m32409) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Wiggins Store
Restored on the original building site, the Wiggins Store was built by King Wiggins in 1903. The fact that it was one of the areas first brick buildings is significant because, prior to the arrival of the railroad, brick could only be brought in by . . . — Map (db m43107) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — William Bassett Chapter
The Manatee Village Historical Park was created as a gift to the people of Manatee County by the Historical Commission and the HOME Committee in remembrance of our Nation's Two Hundredth Birthday in the year 1976. Two historical buildings, Manatee . . . — Map (db m43100) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Cortez — The 1890 Bratton Store/The 1912 Cortez Rural Graded Schoolhouse
(side 1) The 1890 Bratton Store In the 1890s, William C. Bratton built the first commercial building at Hunter's Point, the original name of the area eventually to be called Cortez. The building served as post office, general store . . . — Map (db m112519) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Cortez — The Village of Cortez
(Side 1) Origin of the name CORTEZ cannot be proved but is thought to have begun with the inhabitants of a Spanish fishing "rancho" in this vicinity. The area was known as "Hunter's Point" to local residents until the 1880's. This is borne . . . — Map (db m102971) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Duette — Duette School
This five-room school was built in 1930 by volunteer labor when three smaller rural schools, Albritton, Bunker Hill, and Duette were consolidated. It is the only one-teacher school remaining in the state of Florida. For many years, it was a . . . — Map (db m25060) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Ellenton — Craig Sugar Mill Chimney
William Pinkston Craig, planter and native of Maryland, came to the Manatee River from Leon County, Florida in the early 1840s. Clearing an original 160 acres, he planted sugar cane and corn and built a sugar and grist mill. Its 45 ft. chimney of . . . — Map (db m92863) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Ellenton — F-162 — Gamble Mansion and Plantation
[Marker Front]: At the close of the Seminole War in 1842, this frontier was opened to settlement. Major Robert Gamble and other sugar planters soon located along the rich Manatee River valley, and by 1845 a dozen plantations were producing . . . — Map (db m15665) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Ellenton — F-218 — Gamble Sugar Cane Mill
In 1842, as the Second Seminole War drew to a conclusion, Major Robert Gamble, Jr. established a sugar cane plantation along the banks of the Manatee River, as did others including Hector and Joseph Braden, William Craig and William Wyatt. By 1850 . . . — Map (db m67098) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Ellenton — Site of Atwood Grove and Origin of World's 1st Pink Grapefruit /Grapefruit Introduced to Florida in 1846
Site of Atwood Grove and Origin of World's 1st Pink Grapefruit Across U.S. 301 stood the Kimball C. Atwood Grapefruit Grove and Manavista, a town that he founded in 1892 and encircled with 100 (mile-long) rows of trees. Here in 1913 grove . . . — Map (db m67097) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Longboat Key — World War II Bombing Range
During the war years of the 1940s, the Army Air Corps had bombing targets set up near here and pilots in training from many bases in Florida took turns shooting at targets set up near the beach. Later on, they tried skip bombing techniques and . . . — Map (db m79431) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-290 — Gillette Community
This area, known originally as Frog Creek, received its first American settlers before the Civil War. Many of them came from Alabama, northern Florida, and Georgia. Among the Georgians was Daniel Gillett, who brought his family to Frog Creek in the . . . — Map (db m67099) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Lincoln Memorial High School
(side 1) Lincoln Memorial High School was established in 1949 and served as the only public high school in Manatee County to allow colored children to attend until it closed in 1969 in order to complete the desegregation of Manatee County's . . . — Map (db m102467) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-787 — Old Memphis Cemetery
Palmetto’s historic Memphis neighborhood was originally plotted in 1904 by Robert F. Willis who sold lots to “a number of very desirable people” who built homes in what he named the “Town of Memphis” after his hometown in . . . — Map (db m100898) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-146 — Palmetto
(side 1) S.S. Lamb came here with his family from Mississippi in a covered wagon and barouche and purchased this property on February 3, 1868. Lamb laid out and named Palmetto. The Lamb home, which stood about 100 yards west of here, was . . . — Map (db m100922) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-153 — Palmetto Baptist Church/Dr. M.B. Harrison
Palmetto Baptist Church The Palmetto Baptist Church was organized on January 5, 1892, and a few months later its first building was erected on this site. The Reverend R.H. Whitehead, under whose leadership the church was constituted, became . . . — Map (db m100920) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Palmetto Riverside Bed and Breakfast
This Historic Landmark residence, recognized by the Department of Interior for the National Register, was constructed in 1913. Built for Julius Lamb, a prominent Manatee County pioneer, the home was purchased as a mail order kit from Sears, Roebuck . . . — Map (db m110638) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Rubonia Women's Club
For the first twenty years, the Silver Leaf Club, also known as the Rubonia Women's Club, met in member's homes. In time, the Club grew and began a search for an affordable larger building. Following World War II, Mead Smith of Palm View purchased a . . . — Map (db m102466) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Snead Island / Seventh Day Adventist School
Snead Island Snead Island takes its name from Edward Snead, who homesteaded 128 acres on the end of this 740-acre island in 1843. A federal project opened a navigable channel in 1898 through the shallow flats on the eastern end of the . . . — Map (db m42261) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The Great Chime Bell
This bronze bell was forged by the E.W. Vanduzen Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio, at the Buckeye Bell Foundry in 1893. Originally placed in St. Paul's Lutheran Church of Indianapolis, Indiana, this was the largest of 9 bells. A musical collection of 9 bells . . . — Map (db m110668) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery
The 'old' Palmetto Cemetery was established prior to 1888 and was used until 1910. The cemetery comprises one acre of land donated by Samuel Sparks Lamb, recognized founder of Palmetto. It is known as the Yellow Fever Cemetery because of the . . . — Map (db m100924) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The Plymouth
This historic property was the site of the Levi Jones homestead. The original house, constructed in 1900, is no longer standing, but had similar architectural details as the current structure. Jennie Jones Melman was born on this site August 23, . . . — Map (db m100923) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Parrish — Parrish
(side 1) The first documented settlers in present-day Parrish in early part of 1850 were William B. Hooker and William H. Johnson. Here they found the ideal climate, fertile soil and a nearby river, all suitable for establishing a . . . — Map (db m102468) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Terra Ceia — F-158 — Atzeroth Home Site
(side 1) This is the home site of Joe and Madam Joe Atzeroth, first permanent settlers of Terra Ceia Island. With their daughter Eliza, a physician friend, and dog Bonaparte, they arrived via Tampa April 12, 1843. Living first in a tent, . . . — Map (db m112514) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Terra Ceia — Danger ApproachesFlorida De Soto Trail — 1539-1540
Bountiful Waters Early peoples living along the warm waters of this coast harvested the vast bounty of the Gulf of Mexico and surrounding lands. They built villages with intricate canals, lagoons, and mounds made of shell and earth. Early . . . — Map (db m126565) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Terra Ceia — Realizing a DreamFlorida De Soto Trail — May 29, 1539
A Name for Himself On May 29, 1539, Hernando de Soto’s fleet of 9 ships passed here, carrying over 700 men, as well as women, children, and slaves. For De Soto, this was the realization of a long-awaited dream. In 1533, after participating . . . — Map (db m126564) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Terra Ceia — Terra Ceia School/Village Improvement Association Hall
(side 1) Terra Ceia School The first school on Terra Ceia was held in the parlor of the W.H. Abel home on Bayshore Drive. In 1894, residents built a wooden one-room schoolhouse here on Center Road. It was designed and built by . . . — Map (db m112516) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Whitfield — Whitfield Estates on Sarasota Bay
(side 1) The southern portion of Whitfield Estates was developed on land originally owned (1876-1912) by Fannie and General John Riggin Jr., an aide-de-camp of General Ulysses S. Grant during the Civil War. In 1924 a corporation led by . . . — Map (db m100919) HM

68 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.