Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Suffolk County New York Historical Markers

375 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 175
 
Coast Guard Beach Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jordan Romano
Coast Guard Beach Marker
New York (Suffolk County), Amagansett — 545 — Coast Guard Beach
U.S. Life-Saving Station Built in 1902. In June 1942, Guardsmen John Cullen Discovered Four German Saboteurs On This Beach. — Map (db m148123) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Amityville Trolley Routes
Between 1909 and 1920, two trolley lines operated through Amityville. The Cross-Island Line came from Halesite, Huntington to the Amityville docks. The Babylon Railroad line ran from the Amityville Railroad Station to the ferry docks in . . . — Map (db m125959) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Bethel A.M.E. Church
Historic Church Bethel A.M.E. Church Founded in Amityville 1815 This building dedicated 1967 — Map (db m133523) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 432 — Brunswick Home
Stephen R. Williams formed 1887 for disabled children and later adults. Became Brunswick Hospital 1931. Building razed 2012. — Map (db m126818) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Cross-Island TrolleyHistoric Site
The Cross-Island Trolley line traveled from Halesite, Huntington to its southern terminus at the Amityville docks, from 1909 to 1919. Trolley passengers could transfer to ferries bound for the barrier beaches. — Map (db m114808) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — First Guided Missile
First Guided Missile September 11, 1916

Here Lawrence B. Sperry first demonstrated to the U.S. Navy the Perry Aerial Torpedo - the first guided missile.

Presented by Sperry Gyroscope Company during 1960, centennial year of . . . — Map (db m114811) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 533 — Ireland's Mill
Purchased in 1793 by Thomas Ireland. Four generations ran saw & grist mill here. Sold feed, grain, hay & ice until ca. 1913. Razed 1915. — Map (db m126763) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 368 — Naomi W. Griffiths
First Amityville suffrage club president, formed 1914. Held local meetings and socials supporting voting rights for women. — Map (db m114716) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 416 — South Side R.R.
Railroad from NYC completed October 1867. First depot erected 1868 for travelers. Local commerce and mail. LIRR assumed line by 1876. — Map (db m126002) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Suffolk County
Organized Nov. 1, 1683 One of the original counties of the Province of New York. Originally East Riding of Yorkshire — Map (db m106733) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon Railroad Company Trolley RouteHistoric Site
. . . — Map (db m64734) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon Town HallOld Town Hall - Town of Babylon History Museum
Built 1917-1918 Seat of town government Until 1957. Served as town and district court house from 1918 to 1979 — Map (db m64733) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon World War I Memorial
Dedicated ★ A.D. 1919 In Honor Of Ralph J. Billingsley • Leroy Johnson Edward Joseph Cockerill • Percy Landwehr Eugene Henry Floyd • Joseph F. Murphy Eugene Matthew Ford • Roland R. Murray John C. Huttle • Arthur Leigh Simrell . . . — Map (db m98881) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon's Heros World War I Memorial
To commemorate the supreme sacrifice made by Babylon's heros Eugene J. Cockerill • Leroy Johnson Charles Duffy • Percy Landwehr Eugene Floyd • Joseph F. Murphy Eugene M. Ford • Roland Murray John Huttle • Arthur L. Simrell . . . — Map (db m98879) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Birth of the American Wireless
This is the site of the birth of the American wireless. A pioneer station here in 1901 first talked with ships at sea.

Guglielmo Marconi — Map (db m122816) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Captain Joel Cook Monument
This monument is erected to honor and perpetuate the memory of Capt. Joel Cook A brave solider who served in the American Army throughout the Revolutionary War, and who also recruited and commanded a company in the . . . — Map (db m108831) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Conklin House
. . . — Map (db m34534) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Porters LandingJuly 6, 1814
On this site American naval hero David Porter landed after escaping from a British Blockade ship. — Map (db m106740) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Robert Moses
Robert Moses, (1888-1981), was responsible for more building than any single person since the pharoahs ruled Egypt. Between 1924 and 1968, Moses was the dominant and sometimes controversial force in the creation of extraordinary public . . . — Map (db m125762) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — 435 — South Side R.R.
First train arrived from Jamaica October 11, 1867. Rail brought NYC visitors spurring resort era boom. LIRR assumed line by 1876. — Map (db m126112) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — 367 — Suffrage Study Club
Local branch organized in 1912 at Alhambra Theatre to debate, discuss and support women's state and national voting rights. — Map (db m114715) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — The Babylon Village Fountain
On Memorial Day, May 31, 1897, the Babylon Women's Exchange presented the Village with an "enduring memorial" to their charitable work. With the last $400 remaining in the treasury, it was decided to purchase a drinking fountain for man and beast. . . . — Map (db m108812) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — The Cuban Giants
Site of Argyle Hotel Birthplace of the famous Cuban Giants First Professional Black Baseball Team 1885 Babylon Village Historic and Preservation Society — Map (db m98897) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Bay ShoreA Historic Community on the Great South Bay
Bay Shore and the surrounding area, were called Penataquit, meaning "crooked creek," by the Secatogue Indians. In 1708, Queen Anne of England validated John Mowbray's purchase of the area from the Secatogues. Mowbray, a tailor and teacher from . . . — Map (db m110955) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Bay Shore 1695
1701 Secatogue Indian land purchased by John Mowbray. Queen Anne granted patent. Known as Awixa, Mechanics- ville and Penataquit. — Map (db m108409) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Dr. George S. King Park
Dedicated on July 27, 1965. Medical doctor and innovator, sailor, author and friend 1878 - 1966 — Map (db m108406) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Still on Patrol
U.S. Navy submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 U.S. submarines still on "patrol." Albacore • Amberjack • Argonaut • Barbel • Bonefish • Bullhead • Capelin • Cisco . . . — Map (db m111776) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — The Silent Service
This monument is dedicated to the memory of all those who served their country in the United States Submarine Service and to those who made the supreme sacrifice to preserve American Freedom. Their legacy will live on in future . . . — Map (db m111779) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — The United States Life-Saving Service on Fire IslandHistoric Coasts
Local history of the United States Life-Saving Service (USLSS) dates back to the War of 1812 between the United States of America and Great Britain when William Baker organized the first team of volunteer surfmen to patrol Fire Island looking for . . . — Map (db m112843) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bayport — Bayport Aerodome
Only LI Airport w/ grass runways. National historic status 2008. Davis Field 1910-52. Then Edwards 1953-77. Islip Town 1978. — Map (db m148403) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bayshore — Site of Vitagraph Company of America
Site of Vitagraph Company of America Motion Picture Studio Bayshore Branch 1916 — Map (db m148335) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Brentwood — 1859 Dame House
Modern Times octagon home designed for economy of space by William Upham Dame. Residence 1st fl. & M.T. assembly hall on 2nd fl. — Map (db m142297) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Brentwood — First School
1857-1907 One room school - Octagon - at 3rd Ave & 4th St. First teacher Mary Swain. Moved to this site 1989. National Register 1994 — Map (db m142296) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Brentwood — Modern Times
1851 utopian community based on equitable commerce. Stephen Pearl Andrews & Josiah Warren, founders. Renamed Brentwood in 1864. — Map (db m142298) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Brentwood — 5 — Red Owl LegendLegends & Lore
In 1877, Charles A. Codman met Indian spirit in form of an owl. His kind act toward the spirit is why the Hermitage of the Red Owl. — Map (db m143385) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bridgehampton — 544 — Auto Races
Start/Finish Line of the Bridgehampton Carnival Automobile Races Organized by Bridgehampton Fire Department. 1914-1921 — Map (db m148260) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bridgehampton — Bridgehampton Founders Monument
[Side One:] To the memory of the patriotic spirit of the people and sacrificing service of our soldiers and sailors who preserved the union one country and one flag

[Side Two:] 1910 The 250th Anniversary . . . — Map (db m113742) HM WM

New York (Suffolk County), Bridgehampton — Triangular Commons
Training grounds for the militias of eastern Long Island in colonial days, 1649-1776 — Map (db m110959) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bridgehampton — Wick's Tavern
Built in 1686 by John Wick and used by American and British Soldiers during the American Revolution. — Map (db m111020) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Brookhaven — 398 — Ca. 1740 Cemetery
Former burial ground for South Haven Presbyterian Church. Meeting house moved from this site to Brookhaven hamlet 1960. — Map (db m132690) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — Camp Alvernia
Estab. 1888, First Catholic Summer Camp in the Country Legendary Coach Vince Lombardi Practiced Football Here With St. Francis Prep. 1932 & 33 — Map (db m147581) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — Eastern Purchase
from the Matinecock Indians in 1656, extended originally to the Nissequogue River in Smithtown. — Map (db m148401) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — Home of Arthur Dove
Arthur Dove 1880-1946 Early abstract painter who lived and painted here from 1938-1946 — Map (db m147946) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — Sergei Rachmaninoff
(1873 - 1943) In 1940-41 the Noted Composer Summered at the Honeyman Estate (1/2 Mile North) Where he wrote "Symphonic Dances" — Map (db m147579) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — Site of Centreport (Upper) Mill
Site of Centreport (Upper) Mill Built By Sylvanus Townsend in 1774, replaced an earlier mill built further south in 1674 — Map (db m148337) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — Suydam House
House built 1730, enlarged 1790 Carpenter shop added in 1840 Purchased in 1988 by the Greenlawn – Centerport Historical Association. — Map (db m42822) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — Swego
Indian place name for this area. Short for Otswego meaning “Flowing Out” also Op-cat-kon-tycke the “Wading Place Creek”. — Map (db m148402) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Centerport — William K. Vanderbilt Estate
William K. Vanderbilt Estate Has Been Placed On The National Register of Historic Places in 1985 By the United States Department of Interior. — Map (db m147977) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Central Islip — 001 — Long Island Ducks
Since 2000, Location of Longest Running Professional Ballpark and Sports Franchise in Suffolk County History. — Map (db m148158) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Central Islip — Methodist
1870 Church & cemetery opened from land donated by G.K. Hubbs. Remodeled in 1939. Closed 1966. Now CI Historical Society Site. — Map (db m114783) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Central Islip — State Hospital
Opened in 1889, grew from 40 patients to 10,000 by 1954. Inc. nursing school, farm, power & train depots. Closed October 10, 1996. — Map (db m55302) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Central Islip — State Hospital
Opened in 1889. Grew from 40 Patients to 10,000 by 1954. Inc. nursing school, farm, power & train depots. Closed October 10, 1996 — Map (db m121088) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — Cold Spring Harbor Fire Department
Founded 1852 Fire house built 1930 & 1970 — Map (db m42814) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — Israel Ketchum
Of Cold Spring Harbor while jailed for counterfeiting revealed a plot to assassinate Washington in June 1776. — Map (db m42813) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — Paper Mill
Built by Richard Conklin circa 1782.   Produced fine linen paper.   Site at end of a mill dam and bridge, northerly 250 ft. — Map (db m42816) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — Port of Cold Spring
District of New York Last U.S. Custom House circa 1890 – 1913 Reuben Hall Surveyor — Map (db m42815) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Cold Spring Harbor — 434 — Wright House
Built 1894 for Captain James Wright. 1843-1923, coastwise trader. Civil War veteran & Town of Huntington constable. — Map (db m127994) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — 1918 Crash Site
In Memoriam

On Aug.16, 1918 an aircraft accident at this site claimed the lives of 2nd Lts. C.S. Gideon & Harold Maxson stationed at Brindley Field.

Erected by the Town Historian — Map (db m139135) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Brindley Field
World War 1, U.S. Army Signal Corps Aviation Section, Flying Training Field, June 1918-May 1919. — Map (db m148599) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Comac Church
Oldest Methodist church building in New York State. Built in 1789, organized in 1783. John Philips, first preacher. — Map (db m143786) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Hubbs House
Built c. 1840 & remodeled c. 1880. A rare survivor of early settlement architecture in the Commack area. — Map (db m139460) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Site of Carll Burr House
Built in 1830 for the prominent Burr family & enlarged in 1885 in the French Second Empire style used as a race horse breeding & training farm in the 19th Cent. — Map (db m148780) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Town of Huntington
First purchase 1653. First school teacher 1657. Gov. Nicolls patent 1666. Gov. Dongan patent 1688. First church building 1686. — Map (db m126774) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Whitman's Hollow
Town of Huntington Whitman's Hollow Sight of muster & training ground for Minutemen before British occupation 1776 - 1783 — Map (db m114681) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — American Warrior (Copiague World War I Memorial)
First Panel: This statue is dedicated to those in uniform who served and continue to serve our country and protect its freedom Second Panel: World War I 1914 - 1918 The U.S. Military was engaged in WW I from . . . — Map (db m99518) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — Babylon Railroad Co. Trolley RouteHistoric Site
From 1910 to 1920, an electrified trolley line known as the Babylon Railroad extended from Amityville to Babylon, passing through Copiague along Oak Street to Great Neck Road and then east toward Lindenhurst. — Map (db m106734) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — Copiague World War I Immigrant Memorial
World War I. 1917 - 1918 Their adopted country found them ready Affusa, Giacomo. Agresti, Michele. Barcellona, Carlo. Balzola, Giovanni. Ball, Frank. Bernagozzi, Giuseppe. Bogni, Angelo. Boselli, Luigi. Campagnoli, Hugo. . . . — Map (db m99526) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — 270 — Drive-In Theatre
28 acre all-weather drive-in opened here 1957. Cafeteria. Tally-Ho train. Indoor seating & amusement park. One of nation's largest. — Map (db m133221) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — Four Chaplains Memorial
Honoring the Four Heroic Chaplains who gave their life jackets so that four soldiers might live. The S.S. Dorchester was torpedoed February 3, 1943. As it sank, the four were seen linked arm in arm, heads uplifted in prayer. [The top panel is . . . — Map (db m98883) HM WM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — Great Neck Road SchoolHistoric Site
First built as a wooden schoolhouse in 1911, the Great Neck Road School is the oldest elementary school in the Town of Babylon. Brick extensions were added to the original schoolhouse, in 1925, 1931 and 1954, to accommodate Copiague's growing . . . — Map (db m98893) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Copiague — 436 — South Side R.R.
Railroad line built 1867 LIRR assumed line by 1876. First depot 1901 named Copiague. Failed attempt to rename Marconiville 1920s. — Map (db m126110) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Baldwin Carriage House
An Eighteenth Century structure, originally part of a larger farm complex. — Map (db m139375) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Central Long IslandHistoric New York
      The first settlers came from New England and in 1653 established Huntington. Settlements spread along the north shore and early in the 18th century to the south shore. Many of the newcomers obtained rights to their land from Wyandanch, a . . . — Map (db m65089) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Central Long IslandHistoric New York
      The first settlers came from New England and in 1653 established Huntington. Settlements spread along the north shore and early in the 18th century to the south shore. Many of the newcomers obtained rights to their land from Wyandanch, a . . . — Map (db m65090) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Dix Hills
'Here was located the wigwam of Dick Pechegan and the fields that he planted.' — Map (db m139430) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Half Hollow School
Estab. 1895; One of two schools in Half Way Hollow Hills District used until 1931, then converted to a residence. Now home to the Half Hollow Historical Assoc. — Map (db m139454) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — John Coltrane Home
Coltrane Home

Musicians John & Alice Coltrane moved here in 1964. In this home, John composed the masterpiece "A Love Supreme" and Alice made innovative recordings. — Map (db m139291) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Long Island Motor Parkway
First concrete limited access highway, built by W. K. Vanderbilt: A. Pardington engineer 1908 - 1910 — Map (db m114682) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Long Island Motor Parkway
First concrete, limited access highway built by W. K. Vanderbilt; A. Pardington, Engineer 1908-1910 — Map (db m139455) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Dix Hills — Squaw Pit Purchase
The surrounding area was purchased from the Secatogue Indians on December 16, 1699 — Map (db m139285) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Farmingdale — SUNY Farmingdale
Founded 1912 State University of New York College at Farmingdale The oldest public college on Long Island   Established to serve the downstate community — Map (db m133524) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Farmingdale — World War II
The men and women of Republic Aviation built 9,087 P-47 Thunderbolt fighters in E. Farmingdale for the USAAF: 1941-1945 — Map (db m114778) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Hampton — Clinton Academy
Founded 1784 By Rev Dr. Buell. William Payne Was First Teacher. It Was The First Academy Chartered By State Board of Regents. — Map (db m148315) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Hampton — First Sheep Fold Site 1684
East Hampton townsmen under care of a shepherd herded earmarked sheep in this common pasturage — Map (db m114782) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Hampton — Indian Landmark Buc-Usk-Kil
Whooping-Boys-Hollow, Resting Place Of Body of Sachem Poggatticut, When Borne to Montauk For Burial, May 1651 — Map (db m148091) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Hampton — 371 — May Groot Manson1859-1917
Home of Leader of Woman Suffrage League of East Hampton & Women's Political Union of Suffolk County. Buried Cedar Lawn Cemetery. — Map (db m148314) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Hampton — Town Church
Largest and Most Costly on Long Island. Used 1717-1861 Here Were Ordained Samuel Buel, Samson Occom, Lyman Beecher, and Stephen Mershom — Map (db m148313) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Hampton — Town of East Hampton

Founded 1648. First Church 1652. First Academy in the State of New York. Gov. Nicolls Patent 1666-7. Gov. Dongan Patent 1686. — Map (db m140090) HM

New York (Suffolk County), East Islip — Brookwood Hall
Site of Stellenwerf's Lake House Hotel 1856-1894. Mansion built by H.K. Knapp in 1903. Knapp and Thorne Estates until 1941. Orphan Asylum of Brooklyn 1942-1995. — Map (db m108391) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Islip — Great River Depot
1867-76 Southside RR, LIRR acquired 1880. 1897 Depot built, burned 1943. 1999 EIHS moved shelter to south side. Platform added 2000. Hist. Landmark Preservation cte.Map (db m114704) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — East Northport LibraryIn Memory of Frank G. Becher
. . . — Map (db m148982) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — First Larkfield Post OfficeIn Memory of Frank G. Becher
Site of first Larkfield Post Office – 1896 in Chester Smith’s Store. Moved across street in 1909. In 1910, it was re-named East Northport. In memory of Frank G. Becher — Map (db m148823) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — Hotel RowIn Memory of Frank G. Becher
In early 1900’s, Leighton’s Hotel was located north of the R.R. tracks. South of the tracks was Larkfield Inn, later known as Mortensen’s Hotel, still later as Powell’s Hotel. — Map (db m148781) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — Northport Railroad StationIn Memory of Frank G. Becher
Original Station was 1 1/2 miles Northwest which Remained Open from 1867-1899. This Station Opened 1873-Also Called Northport — Map (db m148824) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — Oaks Cemetery
In Memory of Ephram Oakes, a Soldier of the Revolution who Fought with General Montgomery at the Siege of Quebec   1753-1846 — Map (db m148342) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — Site of Mabel F. Carrl FarmhouseTown of Huntington
Which stood here from the early 1800's to 1998. This was a working farm for more than 150 years. — Map (db m150204) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — Soper (Later Rothman) Pickle Works 1892-1961In Memory of Frank G. Becher
Produced Pickles and Sauerkraut Sold All Over the East. Building Was Demolished 1966. — Map (db m148981) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — Trolley StopIn Memory of Frank G. Becher
Site of Trolley Stop From 1902 until 1924 trollies ran from the East Northport Railroad station to the foot of Main Street in Northport. In memory of Frank G. Becher — Map (db m148825) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Patchogue — 427 — Monorail
Site of Boynton's Bicycle Railroad. Two mile electrified track ran from Hagerman to Great South Bay in 1890s. Dismantled 1904. — Map (db m127595) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Patchogue — Squire Mott Grist Mill
Near this site in 1814, Charles "Squire” Mott constructed a dam at Swan River and put a grist mill on it and, adjacent to it, a home.

Mills like Squire Mott's, and later factories on Patchogue's three streams, established it as . . . — Map (db m132647) HM

New York (Suffolk County), East Patchogue — The Avery Homestead
(right plaque:) Site of a homestead. This is part of land sold by Tobaccus, Sachem of Unkechaug Indians, to Gov. John Winthrop of Connecticut in 1664, extending from Bellport through Bluepoint, from Great South Bay to the middle of the . . . — Map (db m133904) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Abraham Woodhull
Friend and confidant of George Washington. Head of Long Island Secret Service during the Revolution, and operated under the alias of Samuel Culper, Sr. To him and his associates have been credited a large share in the success of the Army of the . . . — Map (db m96628) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Benjamin Tallmadge
. . . — Map (db m53683) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Richard Woodhull
Patentee and first magistrate of Setauket. Born in Thenford, Northhamptonshire, England, 13 September 1620. Died in Setauket, 17 October 1690.Michael Gressel, Sculptor — Map (db m53684) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Roe Tavern
Roe Tavern stood here. 1703 - 1936 Washington spent the night here April 22, 1790. Austin Roe, inn keeper, was one of Washington’s spies. — Map (db m53625) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Selah B. Strong - Kate Strong House
“The Cedars” Built in 1879 by Selah B. Strong. Home of the renowned local historian Miss Kate Wheeler Strong. Frederick Diaper, architect Private home — Map (db m65112) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Setauket — Zachariah Hawkins
This stone commemorates the life of Zachariah Hawkins Baptized at Charlestown, Mass. Oct. 25, 1639. Died and perhaps buried in this churchyard 1699. He was among early settlers of Setauket, L.I. N.Y. and a prominent citizen. He was an original . . . — Map (db m65209) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Eatons Neck — Buried Village
In Memory of the Indians Who lived in our town from 2500 BC to 1000 AD. They left behind part of themselves and their ways. — Map (db m148378) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Eatons Neck — Eatons Neck
Home of John Sloss Hobart. Revolutionary War Patriot, U.S. Senator & Judge. He Mortgaged all but Honor to Found This Nation. — Map (db m148373) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Flanders — Big Duck Ranch

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m140524) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Fort Salonga — Battle of Fort Slongo
Battle of Fort Slongo took place near this site on Oct. 3, 1781. American forces defeated British forces holding Fort Slongo. Donated by Ft. Salonga Assoc.Map (db m148347) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Fort Salonga — 64 — Richard Smith — Legends & Lore —
Richard Smith Rested here during his legendary bull ride. Lunched on bread and cheese giving valley and road their names. — Map (db m148340) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Fort Salonga — Summer Home of Booker T. Washington(1856 - 1915) — Town of Huntington —
Black Educator, Author, Founder of Tuskegee Univ. Spent Summers here 1911-1915. — Map (db m147985) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Fort Salonga — The Osterby House
Large 18th c. house was boarding house for brickyard workers. Site of illegal liquor sales, knife fights, threats and a deadly fire. Current house built 1900. — Map (db m149111) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Hay Rake
This rake is an original piece of Cutting farm equipment. Initially it was designed to be pulled by a horse, but was later adapted for tractor use. Hay was grown on many of the fields on this estate. It was cut with sickle bar mowers such as the . . . — Map (db m147224) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Locust Bridge
In the late 1800s a bridge was built from here over West Brook to what was called "Paradise." The bridge provided Mr. Cutting with a direct route to the South Side Sportsmen's Club, where he was a member. The bridge was built with locally cut . . . — Map (db m114734) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Manure Spreader
This is an original Cutting farm implement. It was designed to be tractor drawn. It spread horse and cow manure out on farm fields as fertilizer. The concrete bins behind this machine was where the manure was composted before being spread. The . . . — Map (db m147225) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Neighbor Across the Way
Across the river from Bayard Cutting Arboretum stands the large red-brick and gray-stone structure that was part of William Kissam Vanderbilt's estate. W. K. Vanderbilt's "Idle Hour," a 110-room, English-style mansion, was designed by Richard . . . — Map (db m114711) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Oliver Farm Plow
This double furrow plow was built by the Oliver Implement Company. It was tractor drawn and used to turn the fields for planting. The round disc in front of each plow share was used to cut vines, stems and roots. These discs, called coulters, would . . . — Map (db m147226) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Sickle Bar Mower
This is an International Harvester Sickle Bar Mower from around 1900. It was originally designed to be horse drawn but this particular piece was modified in later years to be tractor drawn. These mowers were used to cut the hay on the many farm . . . — Map (db m147227) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — Spike Tooth Harrow
This spike tooth harrow is original Cutting farm equipment. It was originally designed to be horse drawn. The harrow was dragged across the freshly plowed fields to break the dirt clods and level the ground in preparation for planting. — Map (db m147228) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — The Connetquot River
The Connetquot River begins as a small creek and grows into a wide river near its southern end. The body of water in front of you is the Connetquot River. It meanders 11 miles from the center of Long Island, through the Pine Barrens, and into . . . — Map (db m147232) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Great River — The Country Home
This magnificent 68-room mansion, called Westbrook, was the country home of William Bayard Cutting (1850-1912) and his beloved wife Olivia (1855-1949). Their main residence was in New York City. W. B. Cutting was an industrialist involved in . . . — Map (db m114708) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Greenlawn — Old Field
Now Greenlawn, settled shortly after the first purchase of 1653 from the Matinecock Indians — Map (db m148394) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Greenport — Fire FighterHas been designated a National Historic Landmark
This vessel possesses national significance in commemorating the History of the United States of America Designed by Naval Architect William Francis Gibbs and built by the United Shipyards of Staten Island in 1938, Fire Fighter . . . — Map (db m114753) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Halesite — Cross Island TrolleyTown of Huntington
1898-1927 North Terminus of the Trolley from Halesite to Amityville. — Map (db m149959) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Halesite — Ketewomoke Y.C.
Built in 1914 Oldest Yacht Club Building On L.I. Abstract Painter Arthur Dove Lived Here 1929-33 — Map (db m148338) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Hampton Bays — Indian PreacherRev. Paul Cuffee
Grave of Rev. Paul Cuffee of the Shinnecock Tribe 1790-1812. Grandson and successor to Rev. Peter John and Samson Occum. — Map (db m36921) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Captured and Missing Americans in South East Asia Memorial
A Living Symbol of Hope Dedicated to the Courage Sacrifice and Loyalty of Captured and Missing Americans in South East Asia

Capt. James P. Mehl, USN · Col. Peter J. Frederick, USAF · Col. John F. O'Grady, USAF · Major Ronald E. . . . — Map (db m121072) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Gold Star Families War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m121032) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Kerry P. Hein Memorial
. . . — Map (db m121061) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Persian Gulf and Middle East Wars Memorial
Dedicated to
The men and women
who served in the Armed Forces
of the United States of America
during The Persian Gulf and
Middle East Wars 1990 -

The Fight For Freedom — Map (db m122574) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Vietnam War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during the Vietnam War 1961-1975

Longest War In U.S. History — Map (db m121346) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Women of the Armed Forces Memorial
Honoring Women of the Armed Forces — Map (db m121030) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — “The Forgotten War”
The Korean War left and enormous legacy that has changed the very course of the world. The struggle not only saved the southern half of the Korean peninsula from Communist despotism, but also set it on the road toward democracy. 54,246 American . . . — Map (db m42847) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Bethel A.M.E. Church
Incorporated in 1843 Moved in 1845 to the building called “The Seminary” standing here at that time. — Map (db m53674) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Carll House
This Is The Only Example Of Early Hewn Overhang Salt Box Architecture On Long Island Built About 1740 — Map (db m148777) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Conklin House
From c. 1750 to 1911, Home to the Conklin Family, including David Conklin, A British Prisoner in 1777, One of the First Museums on Long Island. — Map (db m147983) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Constitution Oak
Dedicated on the 200th anniversary of New York States ratification of the U.S. Constitution July 26, 1788. — Map (db m53637) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Declaration of Rights
“That every freeman’s property is absolutely his own . . . ” June 21, 1774 — Map (db m43094) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Fire Department
This bldg. housed the first motorized fire engines on L.I. and was the site of the Huntington Fire Department from 1911 to 1958. — Map (db m139403) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Fire Department
Huntington Manor's FD's HQ Stood At This Site From 1903-1971 When the Department Moved to 1650 New York Avenue — Map (db m148332) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — First Synagogue
Built 1911 for the Huntington Hebrew Congregation which was Incorporated in 1907, and Moved to Woodhull Road 1934. And Park Avenue 1961 — Map (db m148320) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Fort Golgotha
This cemetery Huntington’s First Burial-Place was opened about 1700. Within its limits, in 1782, Fort Golgotha was built and occupied by British troops. Here rest the early town’s patriot dead, soldier and civilian, among them Silas Wood author of . . . — Map (db m42819) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Fort Hill
Near this spot was an outpost fort, built by British troops during the Revolution, 1776 - 1783. — Map (db m42781) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Gallows HillTown of Huntington
Near this spot, two American martyrs were hanged by the British during the Revolution — Map (db m147574) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Huntington Post Office
Established Sept. 25, 1794 Ebenezer Platt first postmaster Rev. soldier and judge — Map (db m139368) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Huntington Village Green1653       1909
On which stood the blockhouse for protection from the Indians. Here the early town meetings were held and Militia drilled in Revolutionary times. — Map (db m53636) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Huntington World War I Memorial
Huntington Township records with pride that more than a thousand of her sons and daughters served in the World War of 1914 – 1918 and here inscribe in grateful remembrance the names of those who gave their lives in that service. Harry Raymond . . . — Map (db m43105) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Huntington's Earliest Church
Huntington's Earliest Church Stood on this corner 1665 to 1715 when it was sold for 5 lbs, 2 shillings — Map (db m147572) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Huntington's Old Burying Ground
The Old Burying Ground is one of the most historic and sacred sites in the Town of Huntington. The four-acre site is the final resting place for most of Huntington's earliest inhabitants. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m144981) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Ida Bunce Sammis
Suffragist, Lived Here. Founded The Huntington Political Equality League in 1911. One of the First Two Women Elected to the New York State Assembly in 1918. — Map (db m148251) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — J. Gardiner Farm
House Built 1750, Enlarged 1860 Site of Gruesome Murder in 1842 Bequeathed by H. Gardiner in 2003 to the Greenlawn-Centerport Historical Association — Map (db m147982) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Jupiter Hammon
First published African American poet (born 1711) lived here from 1799 until his death in c1806. First home purchased by an African American in the Town of Huntington. — Map (db m147577) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Kelsey Outrage 1873
Reputed barn where Charles G. Kelsey was tarred and feathered before being murdered by persons unknown. — Map (db m42821) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Kissam House
Built in 1795 For Dr. Daniel Whitehead Kissam. He and His Son in Law Practiced Medicine From the House. Outstanding Example Of A L.I. Half House — Map (db m148709) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Masonic Lodge
Chartered on January 25, 1860 Land purchased 1869 for $1000 Cornerstone laid August 25, 1904 First meeting at this location held March 27, 1905 — Map (db m139312) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Mother Chick's Inn
(Chichester) Reputed to be where Nathan Hale was betrayed on his fateful venture to New York City in September 1776 — Map (db m147575) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Nathan Hale
. . . — Map (db m42817) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Nathan Hale
Nathan Hale in everlasting remembrance AD 1897 < Right Side Marker : > His ancestors were the Hales of Kent, England. He was born at Coventry, Conn. June 6, 1755, Graduated from Yale College September 8, 1773, Enlisted as Lieutenant 7th . . . — Map (db m53645) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — North Meadow
Presented in 1938 by Myrta Cannon and Old Huntington Green Incorporated to The Town of Huntington in memory of Henry White Cannon 1850 – 1934 — Map (db m53673) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Old Burial Hill
Vandalized by American Loyalist Benj. Thompson, later Count Rumford to build Fort Golgotha 1782 after hostilities ceased. — Map (db m42818) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Old Huntington Green
Old Huntington Green Historic District Original settlement area Known as the Town Spot, Founded in 1653 — Map (db m53643) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Oldest House
In Huntington, Built by 1653. Site Of Early Town Offices. All Slaves Manumitted From 1805 to 1823 Received Their Freedom Here. — Map (db m148192) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Patriots of Long Island
This monument is dedicated to the Patiots of Long Island who defended Liberty and Independence during the Revolutionary War — Map (db m42846) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Platt’s Tavern
President Washington dined here April 23, 1790. Early town meeting site. — Map (db m53635) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Sewing & Trade School
Building erected 1905 for school established in 1881 to teach sewing; later manual trades, English, math & cooking. National Reg. Hist. Places — Map (db m43097) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Silas Wood
1769-1847 Author of First History of Long Island His Home Stood on this Site Until 1881 — Map (db m148189) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Site of Browns Pottery
(1863-1905) Earlier Pottery Established in 1805 by Samuel J. Wetmore — Map (db m147945) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Site of Grist Mill
Site of Grist Mill powered by this stream and built for the Rev. Wm. Leverich 1658 — Map (db m53641) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Site of Sweet Hollow School
"Given By Samuel Nostrand in 1779 for the Purpose of Building a School House" — Map (db m147847) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — St. John’s Episcopal Church
Site of St. John’s Episcopal Church and Burial Ground Built 1747. Samuel Seabury Jr. Catechist, 1748 & later First American Bishop 1784 — Map (db m53675) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Street House
Home of Charles R. Street 1824-1894 Town Supervisor Respected lawyer historian Annotated town records — Map (db m139456) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — 422 — Suffrage Rally
On this site in July 1913 a thousand people witnessed anti and pro suffragists clash over a 1776 wagon used as a symbol of votes for women — Map (db m132685) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — The Arsenal
Home of Job Sammis, Weaver. Built About 1740, It Was Used By The Local Militia To Store Their Equipment During The Revolution — Map (db m148191) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — The Long-Islander
The Long-Islander Newspaper was founded by Walt Whitman in a barn on this block in 1838. It is still published nearby. — Map (db m139462) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Thimble Factory
Started on this site by Ezra C. Prime 1837 — Map (db m139054) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Thomas Wickes
in 1739 conveyed to his seven neighbors, their heirs and assigns, for 1 pound and 16 shillings, these 3 acres and 88 rods, “To ly open and in common,” forever, the town spot — Map (db m53648) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington — Woodbury Ave School
Beloved Elementary School Stood on this Site from 1923-71 Later Used By BOCES & Huntington Christian School Bldg. Was Demolished in 1988. — Map (db m148259) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington Station — Site of Civilian Conservation Corps Camp 1934-1938
A federal program to alleviate unemployment and improve the environment. — Map (db m139438) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Huntington Station — 560 — Walt Whitman
Born here May 31, 1819 Wrote "Leaves of Grass." The Poet of Democracy. Teacher & journalist. Tended Civil War wounded. — Map (db m142307) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — "Lady with the Torch"
Louisine W. Havemeyer 1855-1929

Suffragist, feminist, philanthropist wife of Bayberry Point developer, H.O. Havemeyer Financed and actively campaigned for woman's right to vote in New York — Map (db m114717) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Brookville
1880-1915 sparsely settled Also known as "Rabbit Town" Name abolished due to land development & possible confusion W/Nassau Village — Map (db m126896) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Captain James Berry
Capt's home, "Greatest of the light air skippers." Afterguard w/Capt. Haff on Volunteer 1887 & Defender 1895 America's Cup Defenders. — Map (db m111742) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Doxsee Clam Factory
Site of Doxsee Clam Factory 1866 - 1905 — Map (db m114680) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Doxsee Clams
J.H. Doxsee developed unique canning process for clams/ seafood shipped nationwide from factory site 500' west. 1866 - 1905 — Map (db m114765) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Early Schools
1924 Main Street School K-12. Motto: "Enter to learn, go forth to serve." Expanded in '28, '48 & '53 Islip Town purchased 1977 — Map (db m106735) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Early Schools
Site Islip school buildings c. 1808, 1828 "Little Red", 1854 and 1869 Henry Brewster (1825) and Amos Doxsee (1834) were early teachers here. — Map (db m110986) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Early Schools: Monell
Site of 1884 Monell School NYS approved K-12 1897 "Finest school in the county" First in cty. to est. school bank plan / business courses — Map (db m113841) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — First Town Hall
1869-1907 called "Union Hall" First town meeting Apr 1870 Chas. Gillette, Supervisor Early Meridian Lodge 691 Meeting Place. — Map (db m113745) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Gibb Patent
Islip Hamlet land Grant by British rulers William and Mary to Andrew Gibb in 1692 Associate of Wm. Nichol and Leisler Rebellion Foe. — Map (db m108390) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Historic South Bay Avenue
Composed of substantial houses of interesting architectural variety, including two different spanish styles of the 1920s, Some in Queen Anne Victorian vernacular, some in Colonial revival and one in English half-timber Style. Two early houses were . . . — Map (db m111768) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Historic Union Avenue
Includes both sides of Union Avenue from Main Street to Raymond Street. The area consists of 19 houses and the Islip Public Library. #54 is particularly noteworthy with many original and unique Queen Anne features and sawn decoration on rafter ends. . . . — Map (db m111769) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Airport
400' west of this site, 1st municipal airport on L.I. Amelia Earhart/C. Chamberlin attended opening 8-4-28 Pres. C. Lawrence 1928-45 — Map (db m126902) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Beach
Estate of H O Havemayer donated land to town for park 10/27/1924. L P Weeks enlarged gift. KIC/OSICA /Town restored 1992. — Map (db m110987) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Crowd
America's Cup defenders Islip Hamlet 1881-1983, Capts: N & J Clock, the Haffs, L Jeffrey, J Berry Crew: R Boyd & T Raynor — Map (db m111153) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Depot
South Side Railroad 1867- 1876. LIRR acquired 1880. 2nd track 1908. Station house south side 1868 north 1963. Restored 1997. — Map (db m126904) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Manor
1920's housing deve. north east Moffitt Blvd & Rte 111 w/100s trademark capes by Wolpert Realty Co. Advert. as German ethnic enclave — Map (db m126903) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Islip Veterans Memorial
[The memorial consists of three bronze tablets mounted to a large backing stone, along with three stone monuments lined up across the base.]

[Top center tablet:]

1917 · 1918 In honor of those who served their country . . . — Map (db m112030) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Log House
Approx site of early store Owned John Douglas 1780- 1816 & Luther Loper 1817-1826 Used for annual town board meeting. — Map (db m108404) HM

375 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 175
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2020