Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bethesda, Maryland Historical Markers

 
All are Welcome to the <b>Healing Plaza</b> image, Touch for more information
By Richard E. Miller, September 15, 2013
All are Welcome to the Healing Plaza
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — "All are Welcome to the Healing Plaza"Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
This plaza is a tribute to the history and legacy of two great military medical institutions and their contributions to military medicine. Through this garden’s peaceful landscape, sculpture, and memorials, visitors are reminded of our commitment to . . . — Map (db m70946) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — "The Linden Oak"- 1976 -
Known locally as "The Linden Oak," this white oak tree (Quercus alba) is the fourth largest of its species in the state of Maryland and the largest in Montgomery County. How it came to be called "The Linden Oak" is unknown. Recognized in the . . . — Map (db m22317) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — A Totem For Healing
The National Library of Medicine's healing totem was created to promote good health, in keeping with the mission of the doctors and scientists who work here at NIH to advance our knowledge of health and medicine. Master carver Jewell James of the . . . — Map (db m77836) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — A Way for FishChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
If you walk down the short path to the water's edge and look upriver to your right, you can see Snake Island in the middle of Little Falls Dam. Just behind the island, hidden underwater, is a fishway—a passage that enables fish to swim beyond . . . — Map (db m136927) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — At This LocationQuercus alba -- White Oak
The 192 year old, 84 foot tall white oak that grew here was felled on February 14, 1998 to make way for the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center. The U.S. Navy used the 14 ton, 35 foot trunk segment for repairs to the USS Constitution, . . . — Map (db m73322) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Battery Bailey
During the Civil War, fortifications were constructed around the perimeter of Washington to defend the city from attack by the Confederate Army. Paramount to survival under siege was protection of the city's water supply. Forts Sumner and Mansfield . . . — Map (db m17647) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Bear and the Steelhead
The carvings on this bench depict a story from the Salish people of the northwestern United States and British Columbia, Canada. The story teaches respect for natural cycles, represented by the salmon’s annual migration upriver from the sea to . . . — Map (db m77878) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Bethesda Meeting House
Bethesda Meeting House Founded 1820 – Rebuilt 1850 — Map (db m77717) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Cemetery of the Bethesda Presbyterian Church
The Bethesda Meeting House was erected on this site in 1820. The original sanctuary was destroyed by fire. A second edifice was built in 1850 about 100 yards south of the cemetery. In 1926 the church was moved to its present location at Wilson Lane . . . — Map (db m78047) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Col. Guilford Dudley Bailey — The Fallen Union Officer for Whom the Battery Was Named —
Born June 4, 1834, in Martinsburg, New York, this 1856 West Point graduate returned to his alma mater as an instructor following a tour of duty in the west and midwest. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Bailey organized the First New York Light . . . — Map (db m17695) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Five Points, historic crossroads
This commemorative site known as "Five Points," has been used as a commercial crossroads for almost 300 years. Its name was derived from the old Indian trails which are now merged and identified as Edgemoor Lane, Wisconsin Avenue, East West Highway . . . — Map (db m84) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Fort Sumner
Forts Alexander, Ripley and Franklin, built to protect the Washington water system in 1861, were connected by earthworks in 1863 and renamed Ft. Sumner to honor Maj. Gen. Edwin V. Sumner, A hero of Antietam. The fort’s 28 cannon providea a . . . — Map (db m3448) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — From Trolley to TrailA Brief History
After the Civil War, America's cities created new transportation systems that enabled them to prosper and grow. During this time, major rail lines were built to connect Washington, D.C. with other cities. Smaller electric streetcar or 'trolley' . . . — Map (db m116775) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Home of Samuel Wade Magruder1728-1792
Lieutenant of Volunteers French and Indian War, Magistrate of the 1st. court, Montg. Co. MD. 1777 Major of Maryland Battalion Member of Committee to effect resolutions of first Continental Congress. — Map (db m72752) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — In Loving Memory of Robert W. LeblingHusband | Father | WWII Captain | Community Leader | Executive — 1923 - 2000 —
Robert W. Lebling gave to the community with passion, just as he loved his family and friends. Highly respected for his civic and business leadership, Mr. Lebling served on numerous boards and committees for the economic betterment of Bethesda. . . . — Map (db m85) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Inlet LocksChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Seven dams and one steam pump were built along the river to funnel water into the canal. In times of drought or low water, usually during the height of summer, river levels dropped dramatically. The canal could not get enough water from the river . . . — Map (db m136925) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Lockhouse 6Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
From its inception the vision of the C&O Canal has evolved, constantly finding ways to be relevant. Built in 1829, Lockhouse 6 stands a mile upstream from Little Falls, site of the canal's July 4th groundbreaking the previous year. Lockhouse 6 . . . — Map (db m112119) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Locust Grove
Locust Grove, the home of Lucy Beall, Daughter of George, and of Her Husband Samuel Wade Magruder, a local leader in the Revolutionary War, was built around 1770. Located near Montgomery Mall Shopping Plaza (at the intersection of Westlake Terrace . . . — Map (db m72958) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Looking North up Wisconsin Avenue at Old Georgetown Road in 1940
Looking north up Wisconsin Avenue at Old Georgetown Road in 1940. The Bank of Bethesda building, now Crestar Bank, is to the left. The sign to the right announces that the Hot Shoppe was coming soon — it opened in January, 1941. Behind the . . . — Map (db m129431) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — 12 — Madonna of the Trail
(East Face) N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days. (North Face) This the first military road in America beginning at Rock Creek and Potomac River, Georgetown, Maryland, leading our pioneers . . . — Map (db m18437) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Moreland
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137995) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — National Naval Medical Center — [Walter Reed National Military Medical Center] —
Panel at main entrance: National Naval Medical Center Tower and View has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Cornerstone inscription at main entrance, north . . . — Map (db m70906) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — National Naval Medical Center in the 1940’s
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt selected this site on July 5, 1938. At the time, the site was a cabbage patch on a run down farm. This property was originally part of the “Clagetts’ Purchase” recorded in 1715. The original 772 acre . . . — Map (db m61969) HM WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Old Georgetown Road
Part of Old Georgetown Road Was once an Indian trail going from what is now Wisconsin Avenue to the Potomac River. In 1806, The Maryland Assembly created the Washington Turnpike Company to improve the Georgetown-Frederick Road. — Map (db m73385) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Old Georgetown Road
Old Georgetown Road looking west, in the years just before World War II. Edgemoor Lane intersects — at the left. The Acme Market, a grocery store, is in the center of the picture. — Map (db m129432) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — NW5 — Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northwest 5
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791 - 1792 Protected by John Hall Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m140895) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northwest 6The District of Columbia Boundary Stones
In 1790, Congress authorized the establishment of a territory 10 miles square on the Potomac River to be the Capital of the United States. It was President Washington's recommendation to use land on both sides of the river. Surveyor Andrew Ellicott, . . . — Map (db m140887) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the NIH Bethesda campus on this site, October 31, 1940
"The National Institute of Health speaks the universal language of humanitarianism. It has been devoted throughout its long and distinguished history to furthering the health of all mankind....In dedicating this Institute, I dedicate it to the . . . — Map (db m67765) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Raven and the Sun
The carvings on this bench depict a story from the Salish people of the northwestern United States and British Columbia, Canada. The story explains how Raven delivered the sun, moon, stars, and fire to humanity. These treasures are necessary for . . . — Map (db m77864) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tennallytown and Rockville Railroad
In 1890, the Tennallytown and Rockville Railroad ran along Old Georgetown Road to Bethesda Park, a favorite amusement spot in the area. The park entrance was located on the corner of what is now Old Georgetown Road and Sonoma Road. — Map (db m73284) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Bank of Bethesda Building
The Bank of Bethesda building, now Crestar Bank, as it is looked in the 1940's. The bank was established in 1919. This structure was built in 1926, with an addition in 1940, and is constructed of locally-quarried stone. — Map (db m129433) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Centennial AnchorOctober 16, 1987
This centennial anchor, originally from a Coast Guard cutter, rested for many years in front of the Staten Island Marine Hospital where the National Institutes of Health began in 1887 with the founding of the Hygienic Laboratory. It was presented to . . . — Map (db m69105) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Church that Named a Community
The Church that Named a Community was built on this site in 1820 and called Bethesda House of Mercy The entire district came to be called by that name. The community of Bethesda is known the world over as a center of . . . — Map (db m77895) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The First Building for the Bethesda Fire Department
The first building for the Bethesda Fire Department, which is shown here, was located at 7620 Old Georgetown Road. It was built in 1926 and an addition was completed in 1931. The photograph was taken in the 1940's. — Map (db m129430) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Georgetown Branch Railroad
The Capital Crescent Trail follows the route of an old railroad line called the Georgetown Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O). It's all that remains of an unrealized attempt by the B&O to construct a major rail link between the . . . — Map (db m83) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Louis Stokes Laboratories
By Act of Congress This building is designated as the (sic) The Louis Stokes Laboratories Congressman Louis Stokes served as a distinguished member of the United States Congress for 30 years, representing his native state of Ohio. He was . . . — Map (db m68454) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education
Mary Woodward Lasker (1900-1994), with her husband Albert, founded the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation in 1942 to deepen the national commitment to medical science, and to raise awareness of extraordinary basic and clinical research discoveries . . . — Map (db m73073) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Walter Reed Memorial
The 1903 Walter Reed Memorial Association's vision for a memorial in honor of Major Walter Reed was finally realized on 21 November 1966 on the ground of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington DC. After the center's closure on 15 September . . . — Map (db m75846) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Washington and Glen Echo Railroad
From 1891 to 1900, the Glen Echo Railroad Company, later known as the Washington and Glen Echo Railroad, operated a trolley line through what is now Willard Avenue Park. This line comprised part of a series of interconnecting systems that provided . . . — Map (db m126644) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — This Complex of Buildings and Gardens
This complex of buildings and gardens stands on part of the land associated with Descendants of Ninian Beall, who came to Maryland in 1650. His son George reputedly gave his name to Georgetown which in 1752 was carved out of property he owned. — Map (db m73142) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tree of HippocratesPlantanus Orientalis
From the Greek Island of Cos, Hippocrates is said to have held classes under the parent tree. The cutting for this tree is a gift the town of Cos presented to the National Library of Medicine at the dedication of its new building. — Map (db m62940) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tree of HippocratesPlatanus Orientalis
From the Greek Island of Cos, Hippocrates is said to have held classes under the parent tree. The gift Tree was presented by the town of Cos to the National Library of Medicine at the dedication of its new building on December 14, 1961. This . . . — Map (db m73312) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tree of HippocratesPlatanus Orientalis
From the Greek Island of Cos, Hippocrates is said to have held classes under the parent tree. The gift Tree was presented by the town of Cos to the National Library of Medicine at the dedication of its new building on December 14, 1961. This . . . — Map (db m74964) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Walter Johnson
. . . — Map (db m84499) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Walter Johnson House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m84498) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Walter Reed MonumentHealing Plaza — Walter Reed National Military Medical Center —
Text inscribed on north face of monument: Walter Reed 1851 - 1902 Bacteriologist Research Scientist In honor of his great work in the fight for the eradication of yellow fever Text inscribed on south face of monument: . . . — Map (db m68989) HM

46 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement