Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Orange County California Historical Markers

 
“Big Red Cars” Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Kindig, February 19, 2017
“Big Red Cars” Marker
California (Orange County), Anaheim — “Big Red Cars” — of the Pacific Electric Railway
On South Knott Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101471) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — “Big Red Cars” — of the Pacific Electric Railway
On Knott Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101472) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 49 — Anaheim Cemetery
Near East Sycamore Street. Reported missing.
In 1866, German Colonists established the Anaheim Cemetery as the first public cemetery in Orange County. Many of the early leaders of Anaheim and Orange County are interred here. The Community Mausoleum was built in 1914 as the first mausoleum on . . . — Map (db m58908) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Ca๑ada De Los Bueyes — Canyon of the Oxen
On Mwd Access Rd west of Eastern Transportation Corridor (Highway 241).
Through this canyon in Mexican days oxen drawn carretas carried hides to the embarcadero at San Juan Capistrano. — Map (db m49945) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Helena Modjeska
On West Sycamore Street, on the right when traveling east.
This statue is the oldest public works of art project of its type in Orange County. Sponsored by the State Emergency Relief Administration, the Anaheim Rotary Club and the City of Anaheim, it was originally dedicated on September 15, 1935. . . . — Map (db m51967) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Kate and Ella 1895 — "Katella Ranch"
Near West Katella Avenue west of Interstate 5, on the right when traveling west.
Kate and Ella, the daughters of the Rea family, were early settlers of Anaheim. The family named their ranch "Katella Ranch" after their daughters. The original Anaheim wagon track was later named after them and is now Katella Ave. Artist: . . . — Map (db m123516) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Loara School Bell
On West Broadway at South Loara Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broadway.
In 1869, near this location, Mr. Benjamin F. Kellogg helped establish the pioneer farming community of Fairview. In 1870 Mr. Kellogg donated land for the first Fairview school, built at today's Ball Road and Euclid Avenue. By 1888 the school, one of . . . — Map (db m59762) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Michelle Carew Community Courtyard
Near East Gene Autry Way.
This courtyard was dedicated September 17th 1999 in loving memory of Michelle Carew. Her spirited battle against leukemia raised awareness of the National Marrow Donor Program throughout this country. In the process, her legacy has saved countless . . . — Map (db m311) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 201 — Mother Colony House
On North West Street, on the right when traveling north.
First house built in Anaheim, 1857, by George Hanson, founder "The Mother Colony", group selecting name given settlement. This German group left San Francisco to form grape growing colony. Southern California Vineyards became largest in California . . . — Map (db m50119) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Mother Colony House
On North West Street, on the right when traveling north.
This house was built in 1857 by Mr. Geo. Hansen the promoter of that little colony of Germans who founded what is now the City of Anaheim, and originally stood on N. Los Angeles St. between Chartres & Cypress Sts. The building was a gift from . . . — Map (db m51963) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 112 — North Gate of City of Anaheim
On South Anaheim Boulevard at West South Street, on the right when traveling south on South Anaheim Boulevard.
Anaheim Founded 1857 Location of North Gate — Map (db m51976) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 48 — Old Anaheim Library
On South Anaheim Boulevard 0.3 miles south of West Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Anaheim's first building constructed exclusively for library use was erected in 1908 with a grant of $10,000 from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The site was purchased with funds raised by popular subscription. This building was designed by Los . . . — Map (db m50042) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 33 — Peralta Adobe
On East Santa Ana Canyon Road, on the right when traveling east.
Ramon Peralta built this adobe dwelling in 1871. His grandfather, Juan Pablo Peralta, was co-grantee with Jose Antonio Yorba of the only Spanish land grant in Orange County, the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana, upon which the old Peralta settlement was . . . — Map (db m50017) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 11 — Site of San Pedro Gate — 1857
On West Center Street.
The original townsite of Anaheim was surrounded by a living fence of willow trees to keep out the livestock which roamed freely on the open range. This is the site of the gate that was opened to permit travel to and from San Pedro and Los Angeles. — Map (db m49990) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 15 — St. Michael's Episcopal Church — Erected 1876 — Consecrated May 17, 1880
On West South Street, on the right when traveling west.
The walls of this House of God are hallowed by the prayers of countless worshippers. For nearly a century the mellow tones of its bell have called the faithful to prayer, announced weddings with joy, and tolled in grief for those who have passed . . . — Map (db m49995) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — The Pelton Wheel
On South Disneyland Drive, on the right when traveling south.
According to legend, Lester Pelton got his idea for a more powerful waterwheel from seeing a cow stick its nose into a stream of water. Patented in 1878, the divided metal cups of Pelton's wheel worked much the same way as the cleft between the . . . — Map (db m55369) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — The Steam Donkey
On South Disneyland Drive, on the right when traveling south.
How the Dolbeer Donkey steam engine got its name is one of the real mysteries of the West. Some folks say it was called a "donkey" because loggers thought it was too puny to merit a horsepower rating invented by John Dolbeer, this portable steam . . . — Map (db m55365) HM
California (Orange County), Balboa Island — Balboa Village
On E Bay Ave at Main Street, on the left when traveling east on E Bay Ave.
The Pavilion, built in 1905, and this building were prominent features of Balboa Village in 1918. Henry Huntington's Red Car Trolleys ran regular schedules between the Balboa Terminus and points north to Los Angeles. Today the Pavilion . . . — Map (db m112985) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — Don Gaspor Portola
On Brea Boulevard 0.5 miles north of Central Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Don Gaspor Portola with 60 men camped here July 31, 1769 on his first exploring route from San Diego to Monterey. — Map (db m76454) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — 918 — Olinda
On Carbon Canyon Road at Santa Fe Road, on the right when traveling east on Carbon Canyon Road.
The course of oil production was changed in 1899 when the Olinda area became the first site in California to use the technique of drilling with the hole full of water. Having been developed as a source of fuel oil for for the Santa Fe Railroad, . . . — Map (db m50337) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — 50 — Olinda Oil Museum and Trail
On Santa Fe Road east of Railway Avenue.
On this site, Edward L. Doheny drilled the first oil well in the Olilnda field in 1897. Olinda #1, drilled to 806 feet, pumped about 50 barrels per day (bpd). By 1898, ten wells were drilled, some producing up to 100 bpd. In 1899, the Santa Fe . . . — Map (db m50045) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — “Big Red Cars” — of the Pacific Electric Railway
On Holder Street, on the right when traveling north.
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101470) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 43 — Buena Park Woman's Clubhouse
On Beach Boulevard at 11th Street, on the right when traveling south on Beach Boulevard.
Since its establshment in a newly created Orange County (1889), the Buena Park Woman's Club has influenced the civic life of its community. The club helped establish a volunteer fire department in 1915, a library district in 1919, and the town's . . . — Map (db m50036) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 20 — Knotts Berry Farm
On Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Founded as a 10-acre farm in 1920 by Cordella and Walter Knott, developer of the boysenberry. From berry fields came a tea room, berry market, nursery and one of the Nation's oldest themed amusement partks now on 150 acres with authentic replicas of . . . — Map (db m50002) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — Knott's Classic Carousel
Near Beach Boulevard, on the right when traveling west.
Knott’s classic wooden carousel was carved at the turn–of-the–century in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania shop of Gustav A. Dentzel. The young Dentzel had come to America in 1864 after learning the carousel carving trade from his father . . . — Map (db m103384) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 729 — Rivera School — (Old Maizeland)
Near Beach Blvd when traveling north.
This was the first school in the Rivera District, constructed in 1868, and previously located on Shugg Lane, now Slauson Avenue — Map (db m103382) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — School House
Near Beach Boulevard, on the right when traveling west.
Typical of one room schoolhouse of the 1800's is this one from Beloit, Kansas. Built in 1879, it housed 8 classes at a time from the first through the eighth grades. Schools rarely had more than two rooms in those days, due not only to the limited . . . — Map (db m103383) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 7 — Site of Lily Creamery
On Beach Boulevard south of Santa Ana Freeway, on the right when traveling north.
Established 1889 as the Pacific Condensed Milk, Coffee and Canning Co. by J.M. Pitblado. First evaporated milk cannery in California and the first industry in Buena Park. The Bixby family owned the factory from 1896 until it closed in 1907. Site was . . . — Map (db m49986) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Alpha Beta Store 1924(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Alpha Beta Store 1924(c) — Map (db m59892) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Bank of Balboa, Costa Mesa Branch 1923(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Bank of Balboa, Costa Mesa Branch 1923(c) — Map (db m59886) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Braddy's Barber Shoppe 1921(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Braddy's Barber Shoppe 1921(c) — Map (db m59896) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Chapman Billiard Parlor 1928(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Chapman Billiard Parlor 1928(c) — Map (db m59897) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Costa Mesa Garage 1922(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Costa Mesa Garage 1922(c) — Map (db m59893) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Davis Barbershop & Soda Fountain 1921(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Davis Barbershop & Soda Fountain 1921(c) — Map (db m59880) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — 227 — Diego Sep๚lveda Adobe
On Adams Avenue at Mesa Verde Drive West, on the right when traveling west on Adams Avenue.
This home of early Spanish Californians, erected in the 1820's, once served as an "estancia" or station for mission herdsmen. It was dedicated in 1963 for public use by the Segerstrom Family and restored by the City of Costa Mesa. It is jointly . . . — Map (db m50306) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — F.M. Bloom Shoe Repairs 1923(c)
Near Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa F.M. Blum Shoe Repairs 1923(c) — Map (db m59878) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Mesa Cleaners 1926(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Mesa Cleaners 1926(c) — Map (db m59899) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Mesa Tavern 1928(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Mesa Tavern 1928(c) — Map (db m59894) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Meyers Department Store 1924(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Meyers Department Store 1924(c) — Map (db m59881) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Middaugh Shoes 1929(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Middaugh Shoes 1929(c) — Map (db m59900) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Model Drug Store 1928(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Model Drug Store 1928(c) — Map (db m59883) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Ozment General Store & Post Office 1908(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Ozment General Store & Post Office 1908(c) — Map (db m59876) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Pennant Bakery 1925(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Pennant Bakery 1925(c) — Map (db m59898) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Pink's Drugs 1933(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Pink's Drugs 1933(c) — Map (db m59890) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Post Office 1925(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Post Office 1925(c) — Map (db m59884) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Safeway Store 1929(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Safeway Store 1929(c) — Map (db m59901) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — 16 — Santa Ana Army Air Base Site — Memorial Garden — Established 1954
On Fair Drive.
The Air Base was one of the largest of its kind in the nation. It was activated in February of 1942. Pilots trained here for Europe and the Pacific during World War II. — Map (db m58598) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — TeWinkle Hardware 1922(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa TeWinkle Hardware 1922(c) — Map (db m59887) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — 138-5 — The Diego Sepulveda Adobe
Near Adams Avenue at Mesa Verde Drive West.
This adobe building was constructed about 1820 as part of an outlying mission stock headquarters to shelter the herdsmen who cared for the cattle from Mission San Juan Capistrano. After secularization, the property continued as a cattle ranch . . . — Map (db m79043) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Wayside Market 1920(c)
On Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Wayside Market 1920(c) — Map (db m59885) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars” — of the Pacific Electric Railway
On Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101467) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars” — of the Pacific Electric Railway
On Moody Street, on the right when traveling south.
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101468) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars” — of the Pacific Electric Railway
On Valley View Street, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101469) HM
California (Orange County), Dana Point — 189 — Dana Point
On Blue Lantern Street at Santa Clara Avenue on Blue Lantern Street.
Named for Richard Henry Dana, author of "Two Years Before the Mast", who visited here in 1835. El Embarcadero, the cove below, was used by hide vessels trading with Mission San Juan Capistrano. This trade reached its peak in 1830-1840. In 1818 . . . — Map (db m50346) HM
California (Orange County), Dana Point — Don Hansen, Dana Wharf Sportfishing — 40th Anniversary 1971-2011
Near Golden Lantern Street south of Dana Point Drive, on the left when traveling south.
In dedication to Don Hansen and Dana Wharf Sportfishing, the first business operating out of Dana Point Harbor. Dana Wharf Sportfishing originated Whale Watching for Orange County and founded the Dana Point Festival of Whales and Dana Point Boat . . . — Map (db m60798) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 22 — "All Saints Anglican Church"
On Bushard Street south of Talbert Street, on the right when traveling north.
Around the turn of the 20th Century, Tom Talbert donated land and 40% toward erecting the "Country Church of Talbert". The land was later deeded to the Methodist Church. — Map (db m59490) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 3 — Blacksmith Shops
On Talbert Avenue at Bushard Street, on the right on Talbert Avenue.
In 1898 John Corbett opened a blacksmith shop here. It was later purchased by Charles Archer. Two other shops were located nearby. — Map (db m59054) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 21 — Buddhist Church
On Bushard Street north of Swift Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Built in 1935 and dedicated in 1936. First Buddhist Church in Orange County. In 1954 the Church was moved to Stanton then moved to present location in Anaheim in 1965. — Map (db m59057) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 18 — Callens Home
On Ellis Avenue just west of Jacaranda Street, on the right when traveling east.
Rene and Virginie Callens came here in 1910. He developed and farmed 60 acres. Present home of son Joseph R. Callens and family. — Map (db m59757) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 6 — Colonia Jaurez
On Ward Street, on the right when traveling south.
Established in 1923 with six streets on lots sized 50 by 300. A complete community with stores, recreation facilities, and churches. (Holy Family Mission still exists). — Map (db m59056) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 30 — Courreges Ranch
On Talbert Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Homesite of Roch and Magdalena Mogari Courreges. Roch, a Basque sheep rancher, farmer and businessman, came to the area n 1878 and purchased "the Bluff" in 1896. He was a founder of the First National Bank of Huntington Beach, the Smeltzer Telephone . . . — Map (db m50014) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 25, 1 — First City Hall / First School
On Talbert Avenue at Bushard Street, on the right when traveling west on Talbert Avenue.
First City Hall In the early 1960's a new Elementary School was built and the old school was used as City Hall from 1962-1964. The old school was built in 1920 First School The first school was started in Sycamore Hall during the . . . — Map (db m62269) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 26 — Fountain Valley Drive-In
On Brookhurst Street at Talbert Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Brookhurst Street.
Opened on July 12, 1967 and was part of the Pacific Theater Group. The Nations largest Drive-In and it contained the only fountains in town. Demolished in 1984 — Map (db m59759) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 20 — Gisler Home
On Garfield Avenue just west of San Antonio Street, on the right when traveling west.
Robert and Anna Gisler came here in 1903. On 220 acres, he started a dairy herd, cleared the land, and then farmed it. A home was built near here in 1912. — Map (db m59758) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 27 — Helicopter Landing Pad
Near Brookhurst Street near Heil Avenue, on the right.
Navy purchased the land in 1943. Fixed wing planes used the airstrip into the 1950's. In 1952 Marine Helicopter pilots practiced take-offs and landings at this site up through the Vietnam era. — Map (db m59761) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 7 — Helm Tract
On South Third Street at Talbert Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Third Street.
The Helm Tract was recorded and laid out in 1923. Four streets ran north and south while Helm Street was the east - west connection. — Map (db m59738) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 11 — Hoffman House
On Slater Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
The Hoffman family arrived here about 1910. A son Ed and his wife Elsa were very active during the City incorporation. Many meetings and City business were conducted in their home. June 13, 1976 — Map (db m79867) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 23 — Horse Ranch
Near Los Alamos Street.
The property was purchased by Lena and George Titus from an unknown person in 1918. It was later sold in 1945 to people that raised horses. Thus the name "Horse Ranch". — Map (db m62273) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 15 — Ishii Home
On Bushard Street at La Luna Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Bushard Street.
Kyutaro Ishii, Japanese settler, came here in 1905 and by 1910 was farming 40 acres. Returned to Japan in 1912 to marry Sada. They built a home here in 1913. — Map (db m59742) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 13 — Joint Outfall System
On Ellis Avenue at Unnamed road to Orange County Sanitation District, on the right when traveling east on Ellis Avenue.
Created in 1923 to serve sanitation needs of Western Orange County. Reorganized into Sanitation Districts in 1954. — Map (db m62272) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 12 — Nimocks Home
On Talbert Avenue at Brookhurst Street, on the right when traveling east on Talbert Avenue.
Mrs. Martha A. Nimocks built a large home here in 1934. She owned 184 acres south of the home. — Map (db m62298) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 2, 4 & 16 — Original Circus Site / First Post Office / Country Stores
On Talbert Avenue at Bushard Street, on the right when traveling east on Talbert Avenue.
Original Circus Site The Escalante Circus placed its tent here for its annual performance. The circus parade started here, moved east to Ward, north to Warner, west to Wintersberg (now in Huntington Beach) and returned. First Post . . . — Map (db m59053) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 28 — Rancho Lucero
On Warner Avenue at Newhope Street, on the right when traveling west on Warner Avenue.
In 1944, Frank and Dolores Lucero purchased 40 acres at this intersection. They previously farmed in Seal Beach. Dolores didn't want to leave the house so it was moved to this location while Dolores and a few kids were inside. — Map (db m59554) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — School Bell
On Bushard Street at Talbert Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Bushard Street.
In 1900, the Wardlow Family donated one acre of farm land for a school located on this site. This bell is from the first school in Fountain Valley. — Map (db m59739) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 17 — Section Houses
On Talbert Avenue west of Cypress Street, on the right when traveling west.
Used by Pacific Electric Railroad for track maintenance workers and their families. Equipment and supplies located nearby Freight house located across Talbert Avenue — Map (db m59488) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 5 — Slaughter House
Near Bushard Street 0.1 miles north of Talbert Avenue.
Talbert Meat Co. established in 1899 by August L. Martel. Later operated by Joe Betschart in the mid-thirties. — Map (db m80686) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 19 — Talbert Drainage District
On Talbert Avenue at Bushard Street, on the right when traveling west on Talbert Avenue.
Local landowners gave Sam Talbert the job of draining "Gospel Swamp." He built a river levee, and dredged huge ditches on the east side of all major roads that ran south to the ocean. — Map (db m59489) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 10 — Talbert Home
On Bushard Street, on the right when traveling south.
Sam and Hattie Talbert came here in 1897. He built a river levee and huge ditches so that the land would drain to permit regular farming. — Map (db m59740) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 8 — The Bluff
On Talbert Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Site of home of Roch and Magdalena Courreges who came here in 1878. He farmed 80 acres of bluff and lower land. Present Home of grandson, Joe and his Family. — Map (db m59058) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 9, 24 — Wardlow Home / Red Car
On Bushard Street, on the right when traveling south.
Wardlow Home Bruce and Martha Wardlow came here in 1896. He farmed 300 acres and was very prominent in local affairs. Red Car The Santa Ana/Huntington Beach Pacific Electric Spur Line began transporting people in 1909. In 1922 the . . . — Map (db m59492) HM
California (Orange County), Fullerton — 19 — Fullerton College
On East Chapman Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Offering its first courses on September 25, 1913 to 28 students, Fullerton College is the oldest community college in continuous operation in California. All the college classes were held in the Fullerton High School facilities until 1937 when the . . . — Map (db m50001) HM
California (Orange County), Garden Grove — “Big Red Cars” — of the Pacific Electric Railway
On Trask Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101475) HM
California (Orange County), Garden Grove — 13 — Stanley House Museum — Built 1891
On South Euclid Street, on the right when traveling north.
This two-acre site is dedicated to preserving a visible link to early Garden Grove. Edward G. Ware settled here in 1876 becoming a prominent rancher. His daughter L. Agnes Ware Stanley, was an early school teacher. Deeded in 1970 to the Garden Grove . . . — Map (db m49992) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — 126 Main Street — Historic Site of the Standard Market
On Walnut Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
A stylish two story Zigzag Moderne market was built and operated in 1926 by Roy de Britton and his son Bob. The open air market contained a meat market, produce counters and the rainbow lunch counter, a popular meeting place. Night time . . . — Map (db m51965) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — 36 — Auditorium and Tower
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
This 1926 structure is an excellent example of Lombard Romanesque Revival architecture. The school site was donated in 1908 to the five year old Huntington Beach Union High School district by the town developers, the Huntington Beach Company. . . . — Map (db m50021) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — Duke Kahanamoku — August 24, 1890 - January 22, 1968
On Pacific Coast Highway at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Pacific Coast Highway.
Duke Kahanamoku, three time Olympic gold medalist swimmer, public servant, goodwill ambassador of the State of Hawaii, and considered by many to be the father of modern surfing. In the early 1920's, the Duke surfed under Huntington's Pier. In his . . . — Map (db m51964) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — 9 — Newland House — Built 1898
On Beach Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
Wm. Taylor Newland and Mary Juanita Newland settled in Huntington Beach in 1898. An early civic leader and agricultural developer. Newland was a pioneer in clearing the Santa Ana River lowlands for productive farming. Restored by Huntington Beach . . . — Map (db m50081) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — Scout Cabin — City of Huntington Beach Historical Site
On 11th Street, on the right when traveling west.
This rustic cabin was erected in 1924 by the Lions Club, local carpenters union and Edison Company as a center for scouting in Huntington Beach and has been in continuous use by Troop 1, Boy Scouts of America, ever since. The cabin was . . . — Map (db m59874) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — Site of the S.R. Bowen Buildings — 1920-1989
On Yorktown Avenue at Lake Street, on the right when traveling east on Yorktown Avenue.
Three industrial buildings were located at 1980 Lake Street and were operated by Samuel R. Bowen and his partner, Sisti Siracusa, as the S.R. Bowen Company and the Bowen Fishing Tool Company. The S.R. Bowen Company was founded in 1920 and was . . . — Map (db m59873) HM
California (Orange County), Irvine — Jim Olson — In Memory of — 1939 - 2002
On Riparian View, on the right when traveling south.
This windmill is one of 1,200 such water-pumping devices that once served the Irvine Ranch before modern water systems were available. Jim, a long-time employee of Irvine Ranch Water District, was responsible for dismantling and reconstructing it on . . . — Map (db m52247) HM
California (Orange County), Irvine — 1004 — Old Town Irvine
On Sand Canyon Avenue at Burt Road on Sand Canyon Avenue.
The townsite began in 1887 with the arrival of the AT&SF RR. James Irvine II chose this site to be the shipping center for crops grown on the Irvine Ranch, due to its high elevation. Original buildings remaining include the Bean Shed (1895), Bulk . . . — Map (db m50339) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra — 14 — La Habra Pacific Electric Depot — Completed 1909
On South Euclid Street south of East 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
This structure symbolizes the beginning of a new era of development in the rich La Habra Valley. The La Habra Line was one of the most significant in Southern California progress. Early crops and supplies to the new oil fields could be rapidly . . . — Map (db m117189) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra — 21 — La Habra's Birthplace
On South Euclid Street at East La Habra Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on South Euclid Street.
The first post office, officially naming this settlement "La Habra," was granted in 1896 and was established in a corner of Coys Store, located on this site. El Camino Viejo, the old road between the missions, passed this corner, which became a . . . — Map (db m50004) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra — West Coyote Field, The La Habra Research Laboratory
On West Imperial Highway (California Route 90) near Beach Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
This site is on the northern edge of the West Coyote oil field, one of the largest fields in the Los Angeles Basin. This field produced about 250 million barrels of oil from sandstone at a depth of about 3,000'. West Coyote was active from 1903 to . . . — Map (db m58909) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra Heights — The Original Hass Avocado Tree
On West Road 0.5 miles west of Hacienda Road, on the left when traveling west.
Through its progeny, this tree, planted in 1926 by Rudolph Hass, has played an important role in the development of the California avocado industry. — Map (db m117267) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Beach — 17 — Irvine Bowl — Dedicated June 30, 1941
Near Laguna Canyon Road, on the right when traveling north.
Home of the Festival of Arts and Pageant of the Masters. The originator was Laguman John Hinchman. The first living pictures were presented in 1933 as The Spirit of the Masters Pageant. The Festival of Arts Association was formed in September, 1934 . . . — Map (db m121908) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Beach — 6 — Laguna Beach Art Museum
On Cliff Drive. Reported missing.
The Laguna Beach Art Association, started by Edgar Payne, was a natural development of the art colony established about 1900. The first gallery was in Old Town Hall. The permanent gallery, constructed on this site in 1929, houses a collection of . . . — Map (db m49985) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Hills — 28 — Fossil Reef
On Via Lomas, on the left when traveling east.
Before you are the white limestone remains of an 18,000,000 year old tropical shell reef. Formed in a shallow bay, it contains fossils of scallops, clams, and tube worms. Mudstones of the same age, found nearby, held fossil whales and shark teeth. . . . — Map (db m101952) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forest — 32 — Heritage Hill Historic Park
On Serrano Road, on the right when traveling west.
Vivid reminders of El Toro's past are preserved in Orange County's first historic park. The Serrano Adobe (circa 1883), El Toro Grammar School (1890), St. George's Episcopal Mission (1891), and Harvey Bennett Ranch House (1908) reflect the history . . . — Map (db m50016) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forest — 199 — The Serrano Adobe
Near Serrano Road.
State of California Historic Landmark No. 199 La Casa de Adobe de Jose Serrano Home of Jose Serrano, original grantee of Rancho Canada de los Alisos Restored A.D. 1932 — Map (db m50117) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forrest — Heritage Hill Historic Park
On Serrano Road north of Lake Forrest Drive.
The building and artifacts on this site are significant remnants of the history of Saddleback Valley. They serve as reminders that the efforts and accomplishments of those who lived here before us, are the basis of our communities today. — Map (db m76718) HM
California (Orange County), Los Alamitos — 46 — Los Alamitos Sugar Company and Town's Founding
On Sausalito Street, on the right when traveling west.
The first sugar beet processing plant in Orange County was built here in 1897 on land donated by the Bixby Land Company. The industry brought jobs and development that created the new town of Los Alamitos. Although nematode infestation of the sugar . . . — Map (db m50041) HM
California (Orange County), Los Alamitos — St. Isidore Historical Plaza
On Reagan Street, on the left when traveling north.
The St. Isidore Catholic Parish was established in 1921. Parishioners met for services at the local Felts Market or the Harmona Hotel, whichever could accommodate them. In 1922, the parishioners asked the Bixby Land Company for a piece of the land . . . — Map (db m89835) HM
California (Orange County), Los Alamitos — This Big Saw
On Los Alamitos Boulevard at Catalina Street, on the right when traveling south on Los Alamitos Boulevard.
This nine-foot band saw is among the largest log saws ever used in the sawmill industry. It weighs over 38,000 pounds and has a blade that stretches over 56 feet in length. This saw was used to cut Douglas Fir and Ponderosa Pine logs up to ten feet . . . — Map (db m66262) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — 44 — Aliso Creek Adobes
Near Charlinda Drive.
This spring and the sycamore trees mark the area of an adobe house and outbuilding built in the 1840s by Jos้ Serrano, whose Rancho Ca๑ada de los Alisos stretched to the north. Within a short distance were the two adobes of Juan Avila's Rancho . . . — Map (db m50038) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Fossil — Whale Exhibit
On Christiana Road, on the right when traveling north.
The main exhibit displays a fossil right whale skull in profile. It was recovered from the marine siltstone member of the Capistrano Formation (3.5 to 5 million years old) in the 1970's right here in Mission Viejo. It is a fossil skull from the . . . — Map (db m72036) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Mormon Battalion Marker
Near Charlinda Drive.
Dedicated to the valiant members of the historic Mormon Battalion who stopped here on March 20, 1847, as they marched from San Diego to Los Angeles. A division of the U.S. Army of the West, these brave soldiers, trusting in God, overcame incredible . . . — Map (db m50351) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Sergeant Matt Davis Park
Near Oso Parkway.
This park is dedicated in loving memory to Sergeant Matthew Ray Davis. A son, husband, father and hero to those he served in this community. He unselfishly gave his all to help those in need and was a dear friend to all who had the privilege of . . . — Map (db m72143)
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Whale Fossil
On Christiana Road, on the right when traveling north.
Originally dedicated on June 4, 1977 by the Mission Viejo Cultural and Heritage Association. The Fossil was unearthed in the southern part of the city in 1976, and is a partial skull of a Baleen whale belonging to the Bowhead or right whale . . . — Map (db m72035) HM
California (Orange County), Modjeska Canyon — 205 — Modjeska's Home
On Modjeska Canyon Road at Olive Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Modjeska Canyon Road.
Famous as the home of Madame Modjeska, one of the world's great actresses, it was designed by Stanford White in 1888 on property called the Forest of Arden. Sold soon after her retirement, it remains a monument to the woman who contributed . . . — Map (db m50303) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 959 — Balboa Pavilion
On Main Street at East Balboa Boulevard on Main Street.
This is one of California's last surviving examples of the great waterfront recreational pavilions from the turn of the century. Built in 1905 by the Newport Bay Investment Company, it played a prominent role in the development of Newport Beach as a . . . — Map (db m50338) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — First Ferry Service Between Balboa and Balboa Island
On Agate Ave at South Bay Front, on the right when traveling south on Agate Ave.
First ferry service between Balboa and Balboa Island 1909 — Map (db m112983) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 775 — First Water-to-Water Flight — Historic Flight
On Balboa Pier.
On May 10, 1912, Glen L. Martin flew his hydroplane, built in Orange County, from the sea near the Balboa Pier to Catalina Island. This was the fastest and longest flight over water at that time. [Original Marker, Removed in 2010:] Glen L. . . . — Map (db m119321) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — Hang Gliding
Near San Miguel Drive 0.3 miles north of Port Sutton Drive, on the right when traveling north.
On this site, May 23, 1971, with a gathering of enthusiasts for personal human flight, began the worldwide sport of Hang Gliding. — Map (db m114180) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — Mariner's Mile
On Pacific Coast Highway 0.3 miles north of Tustin Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The Santa Ana River once made an estuary along Mariner's Mile. The 1916 flood prompted efforts since to confine the river to its concrete bed on the border with Huntington Beach. A 1920 county bond issue enhanced the dredging of the bay to establish . . . — Map (db m81924) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 794 — McFadden (Newport) Wharf
The original wharf at this site was completed in the winter of 1888-89 and was connected by railroad with the hinterland in the winter of 1890-91. It served as a shipping and distributing point for Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties . . . — Map (db m50335) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 198 — Old Landing
On Dover Drive near Pacific Coast Highway (California Highway 1).
On September 10, 1870, Captain Samuel S. Dunnells and William A. Abbott opened Newport Bay to commerce when they entered it for the first time on the Sternwheel steamer Vaquero. The landing was designated "Newport" - a new port - by James . . . — Map (db m50345) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 35 — Rendezvous Ballroom
On Washington Street at Palm Street on Washington Street.
Built near this site in 1928, the Rendezvous became a showcase for Big Bands, especially during "Bal Week." For 38 years, the sounds of dance music echoed from this block-long ballroom, which was destroyed by fire in 1966. The music and dancing have . . . — Map (db m50019) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — Site of 3rd National Boy Scout Jamboree
On Jamboree Ave at Santa Barbara Dr, on the right when traveling north on Jamboree Ave.
The site of the 3rd National Boy Scout Jamboree held on the Irvine Ranch July 17-23, 1953 — Map (db m112984) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — The Salt Works
Near University Drive.
Over 500 tons of salt produced per season! The upper end of Newport Bay was developed into a commercial Salt Works by the Irvine Company in 1934 to produce water softener salt. The plant was leased by the Western Salt Company in 1950. . . . — Map (db m81929) HM
California (Orange County), North Tustin — Red Hill
On Red Hill Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
In early descriptions it was known as Cerrito De Las Ranas, meaning the Hill of the Frogs. In the 1890s this hill became the scene of mining excitement. Its soil composition, very red in color, had caused early American settlers to name it Red Hill. . . . — Map (db m51966) HM
California (Orange County), North Tustin — 203 — Red Hill
On Red Hill Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
A promontory which served as a landmark for early travelers. It was called "Katuktu" by the Indians. — Map (db m52087) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 45 — Grijalva Adobe Site
On South Rancho Santiago Boulevard south of North Hewes Street, on the right when traveling north.
Juan Pablo Grijalva, a Spanish soldier, came to California with the Anza Expedition in 1776. On this hill he built one of the first adobes in what is now Orange County. In 1801 he petitioned for use of the land that became the Rancho Santiago de . . . — Map (db m50040) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 5 — Irvine Park — 1897
Indians gathered acorns here long before Columbus' time. In 1897, James Irvine, Jr. gave the people their long-time favorite "picnic grounds." The original 160-acre grove was known as Orange County Park until 1928. — Map (db m94658) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 204 — Old Santa Ana
On North Orange Olive Road at East Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Orange Olive Road.
Portola camped on bank of Santa Ana River in 1769. Jose Antonio Yorba, member of expedition, later returned to Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana. El Camino Real crossed river in this vicinity. Place was designated Santa Ana by travelers, and known by . . . — Map (db m50302) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 37 — Submerged Dam
Near Windes Drive.
This pioneering water project, a model of efficiency and economy, was first built of clay in 1879. After flood damage, it was rebuilt with rock and concrete in 1892. Each dam reached down to bedrock, forcing ground water to the surface where it was . . . — Map (db m50028) HM
California (Orange County), Placentia — 22 — Bradford House
On East Palm Circle, on the right when traveling east.
This is the home of Albert Sumner Bradford, built in 1902 on his Tesoro Rancho. Bradford founded the town of Placentia, helped to bring the railroad, and was president of the Chamber of Commerce from its beginning to his death in 1933. He organized . . . — Map (db m50005) HM
California (Orange County), Placentia — 34 — Macadamia Tree
On Macadamia Lane, on the right when traveling west.
These Australian nut-producing trees are the oldest Macadamia tetraphylla in California. They were planted prior to 1890 by a local spiritualist health colony, the Societas Fraternia. Members experimented with many varieties of fruits and nuts to . . . — Map (db m50018) HM
California (Orange County), San Clemente — 562 — La Cristianita
On Avenida Presidio.
Two miles inland from this point, in Los Cristianitos Valley, the first Christian baptism in Alta California was performed by Padre Francisco Gómez, a member of the Portolá Expedition, in 1769. — Map (db m400) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — "El Adobe de Capistrano"
On Camino Capistrano, on the right when traveling north.
An historic landmark uniting the "Miguel Yorba Adobe" 1778 "Juzgado" (Court and Jail) 1812 — Map (db m51945) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — "Oliveras Home"
On Los Rios Street, on the right when traveling south.
Circa 1890-1900 Restoration 1980 In memory of Delfina Olivares Matriarch of the San Juan Capistrano Historical Society — Map (db m51944) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Blas Aguilar Adobe
On El Camino Real, on the right when traveling north.
May date back to 1794. It was part of two buildings known as Hacienda Aguilar. This adobe is associated with Don Blas Aguilar, the last Alcalde (Mayor) of the Mexican period. — Map (db m51943) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Capistrano Depot
On Verdugo Street, on the right when traveling west.
Built in 1894, renovated in 1974-75 as a restaurant. The original Mission style, one of the first stations to use it, was retained. The interior is so small freight and passenger cars were added, and the exterior of the platform enclosed in glass to . . . — Map (db m51941) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Combs House
On Verdugo Street north of Los Rios Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built in 1878 in Forester City (near San Onofre). Moved to San Juan Capistrano in 1882, it has served as a general store, post office and residence. — Map (db m51936) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Domingo Yorba Adobe
On Camino Capistrano, on the right when traveling north.
This 1830 structure is typical of San Juan Capistrano adobes of this period; thick walls and a wood shingle roof. The house was purchased by Domingo Oyharzabal in 1880 and occupied by his family for over 100 years. — Map (db m51939) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Egan House
On Camino Capistrano, on the right when traveling north.
Neo-Victorian, built in 1883 by Richard Egan, surveyor, school trustee and justice of the peace. Rebuilt in 1898 after a fire. Known as "Harmony Hall", it served as Judge Egan's home, office and courtroom until his death in 1923. — Map (db m51940) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Garcia Adobe
On Camino Capistrano, on the right when traveling north.
Built in the 1840's by Manuel Garcia, it originally had a second story over only half of the ground floor. In 1880 the remaining space was covered by a second floor and a balcony was added. It was a post office in the 1870's, a hotel from 1880 to . . . — Map (db m51938) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Historic Town Center Park / The Mendelson Inn
On El Camino Real, on the right when traveling north.
[Eastern Side] Historic Town Center Park Today the San Juan Capistrano down town and Mission San Juan Capistrano are situated on the site of the Juane๑o village of Acjachema. History explains that in 1769 the first Spanish . . . — Map (db m51947) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 23 — Manuel Garcia Adobe
On Camino Capistrano, on the right when traveling south.
Built in the 1840's by Manuel Garcia, a Portuguese merchant, this is the only surviving Monterey style adobe in Orange County. Owned by the Oyharzabal family since 1880, its uses have included: French Hotel, a general store and the town's first . . . — Map (db m50007) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Mission San Juan Capistrano
Near Ortega Highway, on the right when traveling west.
"Jewel of the Missions" founded on November 1, 1776 by father Junipero Serra, most renown and most beautiful of the California Missions, Quaint little Serra Chapel is California's oldest building still in use. The magnificent ruins of the Great . . . — Map (db m51942) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Montanez Adobe
On Los Rios Street, on the right when traveling south.
Constructed in 1794 as one of forty adobes built to house mission Indians. Named for Polonia Montanez, a nineteenth century resident. Owned by Mr. and Mrs. Forrest Dunivin. Preserved by San Juan Capistrano Historical Society. Restored in 1981 by . . . — Map (db m51935) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — O'Neill Museum
On Los Rios Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built in the 1880's, this Victorian house was one of the town's first wooden buildings. It was moved from its original location across the tracks and about a block south. The building was restored in 1979. — Map (db m51937) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Pablo Pryor Adobe-Hide House
Near Stonehill Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Situated below this hill, directly below the hotel, is the Pablo Pryor Adobe-Hide House. Built perhaps as early as 1790, it is possibly the oldest standing adobe in California. During the Rancho period, it was used for storing cattle hide from the . . . — Map (db m93033) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 31 — San Juan Capistrano Jail Cell
On Los Rios Street, on the right when traveling north.
This jail cell was built in 1896 to serve as a holding cell for miscreants on their way to County jail. Originally located on the west site of Camino Capistrano at the intersection with Ortega Highway, it was the scene of several jailbreaks and one . . . — Map (db m50015) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 200 — San Juan Capistrano Mission
On Camino Capistrano (State Highway 74) at Ortega Highway on Camino Capistrano.
Founded in 1776 by Padre Junipero Serra. The seventeenth in the chain of twenty-one missions established in Alta California to Christianize and civilize the Indians. Stone church destroyed in 1812 earthquake. Expropriated during Mexican rule. . . . — Map (db m50226) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Site of the Valenzuela Adobe
On Camino Capistrano, on the right when traveling south.
Antonio Valenzuela, early pioneer of the town of San Juan Capistrano, built the adobe in the early 1840s, probably on the ruins of a mission Indian adobe dating to the 1790s. Later Valenzuela family members worked as local cowboys or vaqueros. The . . . — Map (db m51934) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 1 — The Founding Documents of Mission San Juan Capistrano — With a Translation by Monsignor Vincent Lloyd-Russell
On Ortega Highway, on the right when traveling west.
Va. Jhs Ma. Jph The Mission of San Juan Capistrano which is about to be established in the valley of the same name or in its vicinity between the Missions of San Diego & San Gabriel of the Earthquakes, about twenty leagues from both & too . . . — Map (db m54230) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Welcome to the Los Rios Historic District
On Verdugo Street.
The Los Rios Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places April 4, 1983. This District includes 31 historic structures which line both sides of the street from Del Obispo to Mission Street. The District's registered . . . — Map (db m51946) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 837 — Orange County Courthouse
On West Santa Ana Boulevard at North Broadway, on the right when traveling west on West Santa Ana Boulevard.
Built in 1900 of Arizona red sandstone, this is the oldest existing county courthouse in Southern California. Significant and far-reaching court decisions were handed down here, including the "Whipstock" case which dealt with slant oil drilling, . . . — Map (db m50526) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 12 — Santa Ana's Birthplace
On West 5th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Here on October 10, 1869, his 40th birthday, William H. Spurgeon climbed a sycamore tree to inspect this mustard covered valley. Impressed, he bought 74.9 acres of the Santiago de Santa Ana, and laid out a townsite between First and Seventh, . . . — Map (db m49991) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 3 — The Episcopal Church of the Messiah
On North Bush Street. Reported missing.
Santa Ana's oldest assembly on its original site was completed on 1888 and dedicated Easter 1889. Consecrated by Bishop Joseph Johnson October 31, 1887, with Rev. W.B. Burrows, Rector. The building was designed of redwood by Ernest Coxhead with . . . — Map (db m49983) HM
California (Orange County), Seal Beach — 219 — Anaheim Landing
On Ocean Avenue at Electric Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Ocean Avenue.
Soon after the founding of the Mother Colony at Anaheim in 1857, Anaheim Landing was established as a port of entry for the Santa Ana Valley by the Anaheim Landing Co. Despite the treacherous entrance conditions which caused several disasters, . . . — Map (db m50304) HM
California (Orange County), Seal Beach — 10 — Pacific Electric Red Car
On Electric Avenue, in the median.
The Pacific Electric Southern District was completed in 1902. In 1903 Philip A. Stanton organized the Bay City Land Co. which developed the townsite of Bay City. "Red Car" service began in 1904 transporting tourists and early residents. The town was . . . — Map (db m49989) HM
California (Orange County), Seal Beach — U.S. Submarine Veterans W.W. II — National Memorial West
On Seal Beach Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
U.S. Submarine Veterans W.W. II National Memorial West — Map (db m50404) HM
California (Orange County), Silverado — 144 — Death of the California Grizzly — 1908
On Silverado Canyon Road, on the right when traveling west.
The Santa Ana Mountains, which encompass the canyons of Silverado, Modjeska and Trabuco, provided one of the last refuges for the state symbol, the Grizzly Bear. At the turn of the century, beekeeping was an important local industry, providing . . . — Map (db m78516) HM
California (Orange County), Silverado — 202 — Silverado
On Silverado Canyon Road.
Located in Canada de la Madera (Timber Canyon), Silverado was a mining boom town founded in 1787 when silver was discovered nearby. During the colorful life of the boom, 1878-1881, miners, flocking to the area, established a thriving community, . . . — Map (db m50344) HM
California (Orange County), Silverado — 1 — Site of Carbondale
On Silverado Canyon Road, on the right when traveling east.
In 1881, after the Southern Pacific took over the Santa Clara Coal Mine northeast of here, a bustling mining camp complete with hotel, saloons, shacks, store, and post office sprang up on these flats. Three years later the mine played out and . . . — Map (db m50343) HM
California (Orange County), Stanton — “Big Red Cars” — of the Pacific Electric Railway
On West Cerritos Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101473) HM
California (Orange County), Tustin — 26 — First Advent Christian Church
On West Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
This church is the oldest in Tustin, having been in continuous service since 1881. The original sanctuary contains pews which came around the Horn from the East Coast by sailing ship. — Map (db m50010) HM
California (Orange County), Tustin — 4 — Hewes Mansion — Built 1881
On South B Street at West Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South B Street.
This 14-room Victorian mansion was built by prominent California pioneer David Hewes (1822-1915). Known as the "Maker of San Francisco," he donated golden spike at Promontory Point and contributed greatly to local civic church, and agricultural . . . — Map (db m49984) HM
California (Orange County), Tustin — Loma Hanging Tree
Near Eastern Transportation Corridor (State Highway 241).
Under this tree General Andres Pico hung two banditos of the Flores Gang in 1857. — Map (db m50022) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — 8 — McCoy-Hare House
On Westminster Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
This board and batten house, built in 1874 as a drugstore by Dr. James McCoy, first physician of Westminster Colony (founded 1870 by Rev. L.P. Webber), was the home of Marie Larter Hare, local educator, from 1912 to 1984. Restored in 1976 by . . . — Map (db m59556) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — Midway City Women's Clubhouse
On Westminster Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
(Circa 1929) Bolsa Avenue and Monroe Midway City, California Midway City Women's Club Organized 1928 - Federated 1935 - Incorporated 1935 Primary purpose: To promote moral, educational, welfare and civic measures. Donated to Westminster . . . — Map (db m59907) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — 24 — Post Brother's Plow
On Brookhurst Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built by Charles R. Post in 1937 to reclaim farmlands ruined by floods, the Post Brothers' Plow is considered to be the world's largest plow. Measuring 37 ft. long, 12 ft. high, and 11 ft. wide, with a blade of 86 in. it was pulled by five 100 . . . — Map (db m50008) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — Warne Family Barn
On Westminster Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m59908) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — Warne Family House
On Westminster Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m59905) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — Birthplace of Richard Milhous Nixon
On Yorba Linda Blvd..
President of the United States of America. Inaugurated January 20, 1969. Inaugurated for second term January 20, 1973. We are proud of our native son, a man who has spared nothing of himself to help build a great nation. — Map (db m82467) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 40 — Irrigation in Orange County
Near Santa Ana Canyon Road.
Water from the Santa Ana River was largely responsible for the transformation of this arid valley into productive agricultural land. Irrigation companies in Orange County were in operation as early as the 1860s. The two largest were the Santa Ana . . . — Map (db m59529) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 1015 — Richard Nixon Birthplace — "I was born in a house my father built." — President Richard Nixon (1913-1994)
On Yorba Linda Boulevard at Eureka Avenue on Yorba Linda Boulevard.
In 1912 Frank and Hannah Nixon built this modest farmhouse on their small citrus ranch. Here Richard Nixon was born, January 9, 1913, and spent his first nine years. He served his country as Congressman, U.S. Senator, Vice President, and 37th . . . — Map (db m50342) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 226 — Site of Don Bernardo Yorba Hacienda
On Esperanza Road at Fairmont Boulevard, on the right when traveling west on Esperanza Road.
On this land, portion of Santa Ana grant awarded by King of Spain 1810 to Jose Antonio Yorba, and additional grants to his son by Governor Jose Figueroa 1834, was created Hacienda of Don Bernardo Yorba. Greatest ranchero of golden age, Bernardo . . . — Map (db m50305) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 25 — Yorba Cemetery
On Parkwood Court, on the right when traveling north.
In 1858, Don Bernardo Yorba, son of one of the first land grantees in Southern California and major landowner in his own right, set aside this land as a cemetery. For almost a century, members of many early California families were buried here. — Map (db m50009) HM

171 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement