Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Georgia

4789 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 4389
 
Railroad Block-house Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
Railroad Block-house Marker
Georgia (Bartow County), Emerson — 008-7 — Railroad Block-house
On Allatoona Creek in this vicinity, a Federal block-house, guarding State R.R. bridge, was garrisoned by Companies E, F, and I, of the 18th Wisconsin Regt. Oct. 5, 1864, while retreating from Allatoona, 2 mi. N., French’s Div. of Stewart’s A.C. . . . — Map (db m105104) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Euharlee — Black Pioneers CemeteryCirca 1830 – 1900
333 marked graves in 2001 Jim Scott 1871 Hett Powell 1890 — Map (db m56364) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Euharlee — 8-1 — Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge
In 1886 the county contracted with Washington W. King, son of freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King, and Jonathan H. Burke for the construction of this 138-foot bridge. It was adjacent to a mill owned by Daniel Lowry, of which the . . . — Map (db m8478) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-31 — 4th & 14th A.C. March to Kingston
May 18, 1864. Howard’s 4th Corps leading, & two divs. of Palmer’s 14th [US], moved from Adairsville on this direct road to Kingston. They were halted just outside of Adairsville to await the support of the 15th A. C. of McPherson’s Army of the . . . — Map (db m40581) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-39 — Confederate Memorial Day
First Decoration, or Memorial Day, was observed in Kingston in late April of 1865, and has been a continuous observance here since that day, the only such record held by any community in this Nation. The first Memorial, or Decoration Day, was . . . — Map (db m13976) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-37 — Hardee's Corps at Kingston
May 18, 1864. Lt. Gen. Wm. J. Hardee´s A. C. marched from Adairsville on the road parallel to the State R.R. -- turning E. on this rd. to join Polk´s & Hood´s corps [CS] at Cassville, which had moved on the direct Adairsville - Cassville road. . . . — Map (db m13962) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-8 — Historic Price House
2.5 mi. N.E. is the antebellum house of Col. Hawkins F. Price; State Senator 1857-1865; Mem. Ga. Secession Convention. A landmark of military operations near Cassville, where both Gen. Daniel Butterfield & Gen. Hooker (20th A.C.) [US] had . . . — Map (db m13497) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-35 — House - Site Thomas V. B. Hargis
Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman´s Headquarters May 19-23, 1864 Sherman [US] occupied the Hargis house for three days of reorganization of forces in the campaign that ended at Atlanta. Assuming the Johnston´s army [CS] had moved, from Adairsville, . . . — Map (db m13965) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-49 — Kingston Methodist Church
The original church, with another name and at another location, was built in 1845, rebuilt in Kingston in 1854, and dedicated by Rev. Lovick Pierce, a leading preacher of the nation and father of Bishop George F. Pierce. The only church remaining . . . — Map (db m13537) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — Nellie Margaret Harris ApplinIn Memory of Mayor Margaret Martin — Honoring Our Veterans
Dedicated in 2007, the Kingston Veterans Monument, vision in 1999 by Mrs. Nellie Margaret Harris Applin, stands in honor of the lives of four hundred brave men and women whom served their country with valor, honor and dignity. This memorial resulted . . . — Map (db m110317) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-12A — Old Macedonia Church Organized 1847
In 1864, a road southward from Wooley´s Bridge (Etowah River) crossed the road near this point and ran to Van Wert (Rockmart) and Dallas. This was the route of McPherson´s Army of the Tennessee (15th and 16th Corps.), [US] right wing of forces . . . — Map (db m13926) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — Original Hospital Site of Wayside Home
This is the site of Kingston Wayside Home, the first Confederate hospital, established in August, 1861 by the Soldier’s Aid Society and other citizens of this vicinity. More than 10,000 sick and wounded Confederate soldiers received necessary . . . — Map (db m26156) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — Rome Railroad
Incorporated on Dec. 21, 1839 as the Memphis Branch Railroad and Steamboat Co. of Georgia, this was the first railroad in the South designed to connect steamboat traffic to railroads. In Dec., 1849 the 18 mile track from Kingston to Rome was . . . — Map (db m35010) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — Sherman’s March to the Sea
Near this site on November 7, 1864 General Sherman received orders from President Lincoln and General Grant to proceed with his plans to march his army from Atlanta to the sea. Thus, the infamous March to the Sea originated in Kingston. This action . . . — Map (db m35011) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-32 — Spring Bank
Ante-bellum plantation and residence of the Rev. Charles Wallace Howard, where he established a private school. May 18, 1864. Hardee´s A.C. [CS] moved from Adairsville to Kingston on this road enroute to Cass Station. May 19, the 4th and 14th A.C. . . . — Map (db m13195) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-36 — Surrender of Confederate Troops
May 12, 1865 Brig. Gen. Wm. T. Wofford [CS] arranged with Brig. Gen. Henry M. Judah, U.S.A. for the surrender of some 3000 to 4000 Confederate soldiers, mostly Georgians, not paroled in Virginia, N. Carolina, and elsewhere. During final . . . — Map (db m13967) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-34 — The Andrews Raiders at Kingston
Apr. 12, 1862. James J. Andrews with 18 Ohio soldiers [US] in disguise, & 1 civilian, having seized the locomotive "GENERAL" at Big Shanty (KENNESAW) intending to wreck the State R.R., were forced to side track here & . . . — Map (db m13963) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-33 — The Federal Army at Kingston
May 19, 1864. The 4th, followed by the 14th A.C. [US] reached Kingston, 8 a.m. The 4th turned E. to Cassville; a div. of the 14th sent to Gillem´s bridge, Etowah River, finding no retreating Confederates, Johnston´s forces [CS] were at Cassville, . . . — Map (db m13961) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-40 — Unknown Confederate Dead
Here sleep, known but to God, 250 Confederate and two Federal soldiers, most of whom died of wounds, disease and sickness in the Confederate hospitals located here - 1862-1864. These men were wounded in the battles of Perryville, Chickamauga, . . . — Map (db m13980) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-11 — Woolley's Bridge
In 1864, this covered structure spanned the Etowah River on the plantation of Andrew F. Woolley, 0.5 mi. S. Next to the river was the Rome - Kingston R.R. discontinued, 1943. May 19, McPherson´s Army of the Tenn. (15th & 16th Corps) [US] arched . . . — Map (db m13925) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Pine Log — 008-13 — Corra Harris
Author of "A Circuit Rider´s Wife" and many other books and articles, lived from 1913 until her death in 1935. The most productive years of her career were spent in a picturesque log cabin, which, according to legend, was once the home of a Cherokee . . . — Map (db m13230) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Rydal — Historic Pine Log Methodist Church
250´ west of this marker stands, Historic Pine Log Methodist Church, Cemetery, tabernacle, and Camp Grounds, established in 1834. The oldest Church in continuous use in Cass/Bartow County. This Church area is on the national Register for Historic . . . — Map (db m44782) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Rydal — Old Pine Log Indian Town
Pine Log Town, located on Pine Log Creek in the flat fields slightly over a half mile east of Oak Hill Church north of GA 140, (in Pine Log, Georgia), extended almost a mile along the creek. The lots were 293, 294, 295,296, 317, 318, 284,and 283, in . . . — Map (db m13190) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Rydal — Pine Log Church Historic District
The church, built 1842; campground and tabernacle, 1888; and cemetery, begun in 1850, were listed in the National Register of Historic Places September 9, 1988. The Methodist organization was founded on this site by Stephen Ellis about 1845 in a . . . — Map (db m110798) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Taylorsville — Stilesboro Academy1859
Prior to the Civil War the state did not provide for public education. Consequently, the settlers in the Stilesboro community decided to erect an academy for the education of their children. A public subscription raised $5,000 to erect the school. . . . — Map (db m110295) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Taylorsville — Taylorsville High School1900 - 1966
In 1900, while Georgia was struggling to organize a system of schools, Taylorsville citizens founded the first free high school in Bartow County. Leaders included W. D. Trippe, Sr.; W. M Dorsey; W. P Harris, Sr.; W. m Trippe; E. O. Davis; L. W. . . . — Map (db m70985) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Taylorsville — 008-24 — The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro
May 23-24, 1864: The 4th, 20th & two divisions of the 14th corps [US] converged here, from Etowah River crossings at Island Ford, Gillem’s & Milam’s bridges, & moved S.E. up the valley of Raccoon Cr. to Burnt Hickory P.O. (Huntsville). The . . . — Map (db m46621) HM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — 009-2 — Ben Hill County
Ben Hill County, created by Act of July 31, 1906 from Irwin and Wilcox Counties, was named for Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), “one of America’s greatest orators.” A staunch supporter of the administration in the Confederate Senate, . . . — Map (db m40263) HM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902
“You triumphed over obstacles which would have overcome men less brave and determined” President McKinley Hiker of ‘98 (on base of soldier) Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 -1902 By the Camps and Auxiliaries of the . . . — Map (db m62952) WM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — First Baptist Church Bell
This bell was awarded to the First Baptist Church by Governor William J. Northen (1833-1913) to honor the first church built in the Colony City of Fitzgerald. Governor Northen was an outstanding Baptist layman who graduated from Mercer University at . . . — Map (db m11705) HM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — 009-4 — FitzgeraldThe Colony City
Founded at Swan in 1895 by Mr. Philander H. Fitzgerald, lawyer, veteran and publisher of the AMERICAN TRIBUNE of Indianapolis, as a soldiers’ colony in the South. Fitzgerald was settled by Union veterans who, tired of Northern winters, flocked from . . . — Map (db m40377) HM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — 009-1 — Gen. Bush's Home←——«
This was the home of General William Jordan Bush, last survivor of the 125,000 heroes from Georgia who fought for the South. Gen. Bush was born near Gordon, Ga. July 10, 1845, and died here Nov. 11, 1952. In the War Between the States he was a . . . — Map (db m40168) HM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — In Grateful Appreciation of The Boys of Ben Hill Co.
Who gave their service during the World War — Map (db m110406) WM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — 009-3 — Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park
On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (178 miles NE of the Park), where he performed his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed enroute . . . — Map (db m40378) HM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — 077-8 — Ozias Church Bethlehem Church
Ozias Primitive Baptist Church was constituted July 14, 1832. Elders Wilson Conner and John Martial were the Presbytery. Members were John McDonald, Randall McDonald, Elijah Hunter, Penelope Hunter, Catherine McCall, Mary McDonald, Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m57153) HM
Georgia (Berrien County), Nashville — 010-3 — Berrien County
Berrien County, created by Act of Feb. 25, 1856, was named for John MacPherson Berrien, “the American Cicero,” who was born Aug. 23, 1781 and died Jan. 1, 1856. He was Judge of the Eastern Circuit, U.S. Senator and U.S. Attorney General. . . . — Map (db m40122) HM
Georgia (Berrien County), Nashville — 010-1 — Flat Creek Mills
Flat Creek Mills was a trading Post and election precinct many years before the present Berrien County was created in 1856. Officers of the new county were sworn in here, and there being no court house, the first Inferior Court was held here in the . . . — Map (db m50534) HM
Georgia (Berrien County), Nashville — 010-4 — Indian Fights
In the summer of 1836, a company of militia under Capt. Levi J. Knight of near Ray City was sent to protect the settlers from marauding Indians on their way to join the Seminoles in Florida. When a party of Indians plundered the plantation of . . . — Map (db m40123) HM
Georgia (Berrien County), Nashville — 010-2 — Old Coffee Road
The Old Coffee Road, earliest vehicular and postal route of this section, running southwestward from the Ocmulgee River to the Florida Line, passed through today’s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick and Thomasville. The thoroughfare was opened by . . . — Map (db m40124) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-10 — Alfred Holt Colquitt
Governor of Georgia (1877-1882), U.S. Congressman (1853-1855), U.S. Senator (1883-1894), Major U.S. Army in the Mexican War, Brigadier-General in the Confederate Army, Alfred Holt Colquitt is buried here. Born in Walton County, Georgia, April 20, . . . — Map (db m25393) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-3 — Ballard-Hudson Senior High School
Ballard-Hudson Senior High School was built in 1949 as the only high school in Macon for African Americans in grades nine through twelve. The school represents the merger of two schools: Ballard High School, a private school with roots in Lewis . . . — Map (db m38198) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Ballard-Hudson Senior High School1070 Anthony Road — 1949-1970
This marker represents the establishment of a comprehensive high school for black people in Macon-Bibb County. The name is a merger of the Ballard High School and the Hudson High School. This public high school was supported by the Bibb County Board . . . — Map (db m61189) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's RaidOcmulgee National Monument
During the Civil War, Macon, Georgia was a thriving city, serving as a major transportation, medical, and manufacturing center. In 1864, Federal officers were being held at Camp Oglethorpe, a prisoner of war camp. Two battles were fought in Macon; . . . — Map (db m98657) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-5 — Battles of Dunlap Farm
On July 30, 1864, Gen. Stoneman with 2,500 cavalry crossed Walnut Creek & placed his cannon on a ridge on the Dunlap farm. He attacked Macon to capture the gold in the Confederate Depository; to destroy the Armory, Arsenal & Laboratories, the . . . — Map (db m98661) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-9 — Bibb County
Bibb County was created by Act of Dec. 9, 1822 from Houston, Jones, Monroe and Twiggs Counties. It was named for Dr. William Wyatt Bibb (1781-1820) of Elbert County. Dr. Bibb, physician, legislator, Congressman, Senator, was appointed Governor of . . . — Map (db m44892) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-6 — Birthplace of Sidney Lanier
Sidney Lanier, poet, linguist, musician, mathematician & lawyer, was born in this cottage, Feb. 3, 1842. He graduated from Oglethorpe Univ. then at Milledgeville, served as a private in the Confederate Army and was captured while commanding a . . . — Map (db m664) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Camp Oglethorpe"...such large wolfish eyes!" — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
After the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee, on April 6 & 7, 1862, the Confederate government selected Macon as a Federal prisoner-of-war camp site. The Macon Fair and Parade Grounds was used to incarcerate 900 prisoners-of-war later that spring. Named . . . — Map (db m110167) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-21 — Camp Wheeler
Camp Wheeler was an army training camp during 1917-19 and 1940-46. It was named for Joseph Wheeler (1836-1906), Confederate Lt. Gen. who was born in Augusta, Ga. The tent camp was established in 1917 after efforts of local businessmen brought Gen. . . . — Map (db m12415) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-2 — Central City College/Georgia Baptist College
Founded in October 1899 by the Reverend E. K. Love under the auspices of the Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia, Central City College served as a co-educational institution of learning for African-American students at both the high school and . . . — Map (db m23065) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-19 — Christ ChurchEpiscopal
The Reverend Lot Jones, while on a missionary tour of Georgia, founded Christ Episcopal Church on March 5, 1825. It was the first congregation organized in Macon. On December 26, 1826, the Georgia General Assembly enacted, “that Christopher B. . . . — Map (db m49579) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-2 — City Hall & Old Capitol
The Macon City Hall, built in 1837 for the Monroe Railroad & Banking Co. and since remodeled, served from Nov. 18, 1864 till March 11, 1865 as temporary Capitol of Ga. Here Gov. Brown had his office and convened the last session of the Ga. . . . — Map (db m60529) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Civil War Era Maconites of African AncestryLocation of Ellen Smith Craft's Dwelling behind Home of Dr. Robert & Eliza Smith Collins
In 1860 the population of Bibb County was 16,289. The 6,790 slaves and free persons of color were the backbone of “King Cotton.” There were at least three slave depots (markets) on Poplar Street. Many slaves and freedman worked as . . . — Map (db m99469) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-7 — Colonial Trading Path
Colonial Trading Path or “Lower Path” joined the heart of the Creek Nation on the Chattahoochee River to the English Trading Post in Ocmulgee Old Fields, now Ocmulgee National Monument. Here the chief towns of the ancient Creek . . . — Map (db m49624) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-8 — Confederate Memorial Day in Macon
On Thursday, April 26, 1866, the graves of Confederate soldiers in Rose Hill Cemetery and in the cemetery at 7th and Cherry Streets were decorated with flowers by the members of the Ladies’ Memorial Association, organized in March 1866 with Mrs. . . . — Map (db m37572) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-24 — Confederate States Central Laboratory
Approximately 100 feet south of this point stood the Confederate States Central Laboratory. Erected between 1862 and 1865, this laboratory-factory complex spread over 145 acres purchased December 2, 1862. It was intended as permanent facility and . . . — Map (db m12290) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Cowles-Bond HouseRailroads, Planters and Widow Bond — Wilson's Raid Heritage Trail
This impressive home was already more than a quarter century old when Union Major General James Harrison Wilson occupied it in 1865. It is a masterpiece of one of Macon's most notable early master-builders, Alexander Elam who designed this house for . . . — Map (db m103212) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-22 — De Soto in Georgia
In May 1539 Hernando De Soto landed in Florida with over 600 people, 220 horses and mules, and a herd reserved for famine. Fired by his success in Pizarro's conquest of Peru, De Soto had been granted the rights, by the King of Spain, to explore, . . . — Map (db m27272) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Fencing from Findlay Foundry
This fencing was manufactured c. 1856 at the Findlay Foundry and once enclosed the Robert Findlay estate. The Findlay Foundry was operated by the Confederate States Ordnance Bureau as the Macon Arsenal from 1862 -1865. — Map (db m110385) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-11 — First Public Camellia Show
After a revival of interest in camellias, the first public Camellia Show in the U.S. was held Feb. 5, 1932 at Burden-Smith & Co. At the suggestion of Henry T. Conner, immediately after the show, the Azalea and Camellia Soc. of America, forerunner of . . . — Map (db m49669) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-5 — Fort Hawkins
Fort Hawkins was established at this site in 1806 on the eastern bank of the Ocmulgee River at the border of the Muskogee Creek Nation. The location was chosen by the fort’s namesake, Benjamin Hawkins, who served as the U.S. Agent for Indian Affairs . . . — Map (db m59564) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Fort HawkinsThe Battle for Macon — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
During the early 1800s, Georgia grew through a series of treaties with the Creek Indians. After the Louisiana Purchase, President Thomas Jefferson authorized Benjamin Hawkins, Agent for Indian Affairs, to negotiate the 1805 treaty to expand Georgia . . . — Map (db m103214) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Freemasonry in Macon
Freemasonry came to Macon in 1824 when the city was in its infancy. Macon Lodge No. 5, F. &A.M., was organized in 1824 and chartered by the Grand Lodge of Georgia in 1825. Historians have referred to Macon lodge as being the “First society in . . . — Map (db m54733) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe
In Ocmulgee Fields camped Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe and his men on their way to Coweta Town for the purpose of making the treaty with the Creek Confederacy in 1739 — Map (db m59596) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-20 — General Edward Dorr Tracy, Jr.-- 1833 – 1863 –-
Edward D. Tracy, Jr., was born in Macon, Georgia, on Nov. 5, 1833. His father served as Macon’s second Mayor (1826-1828), a Judge of Superior Court, and hosted General Lafayette during his visit to Macon in 1825. The younger Tracy graduated from the . . . — Map (db m25388) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — In Memory of J. Wilson Parker
In Memory of J. Wilson Parker June 26, 1895 ------ July 27, 1966 Grand Master 1940 Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Masonic Home of Georgia, 1946-1966 Raised in Fairburn Lodge No. 180, F. & A. M., 1920; Worshipful Master 1923 and . . . — Map (db m49146) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — In Memory of Max MeyerhardtOctober 18, 1855 – March 2, 1923 — Founder of the Masonic Home of Georgia
Worshipful Master of Cherokee Lodge No. 66, F. & A. M., Rome, 1885-1923; Worshipful Master of the Seventh District Masonic Convention, 1897-1923; Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Georgia 1900-1907; High Priest Rome Chapter No. 26, R.A.M; . . . — Map (db m49193) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-16 — Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House
On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (100 miles NE), where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed . . . — Map (db m25409) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — John Basil Lamar
Col. John Basil Lamer, aide-de-camp of General Howell Cobb, his brother-in-law and close friend, was mortally wounded on September 14, 1862 while vainly trying to rally Cobb’s Brigade at Crampton’s Gap, Maryland. After temporary burial in Charles . . . — Map (db m25121) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-4 — Judge Asa Holt House
This house, built in 1853 by Judge Asa Holt, was struck by a cannon ball from Gen. Stoneman´s guns in East Macon during the Battle of Dunlap´s Hill. July 30, 1864, when the Union army tried unsuccessfully to take Macon. The ball, now in the . . . — Map (db m23376) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — M. W. Grand Lodge of GeorgiaFree and Accepted Masons
The first Masonic meeting in Georgia was held in 1734 at the town of Sunbury in what is now Liberty County, with General James Edward Oglethorpe serving as Worshipful Master. This was just seventeen years after the formation of the Grand Lodge of . . . — Map (db m49663) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — R10 — Macon City HallGeorgia's Temporary Capitol Building — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
The building that houses Macon’s City Hall was constructed in 1837 as headquarters for the Monroe Railroad and Banking Company. In 1845, the Greek Revival temple-style building was converted into Macon’s first “fire-proof” cotton . . . — Map (db m99439) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Macon Defensive FortificationsThe War Comes Home — Wilson's Raid Heritage Trail
Military earthworks, also variously called redoubts, lunettes, entrenchments and breastworks, have been used for centuries as points of lookout and defense. Early in the Civil War, soldiers learned to dig a simple trench behind an earthen parapet . . . — Map (db m103297) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Macon History1839 - 1910
The Reform Medical College of Georgia, Middle Georgia’s first medical school was founded in Forsyth, in 1839. The School moved to Macon in 1845 and remained here for 50 years before moving to Atlanta. Scores of physicians received their medical . . . — Map (db m54940) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor Reverse Sgt. Rodney Maxwell Davis United States Marine Corps April 7, 1942   Sept. 6, 1967 Macon, Georgia   Quang Nam Province, Vietnam For conspicious gallantry and intrepidity at the . . . — Map (db m53214) HM WM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-18 — Mercer University
Founded in Penfield, Georgia, January 14, 1833, as Mercer Institute, Mercer University, the “oldest child” of the Georgia Baptist Convention, has been the chief source of Baptist ministerial and lay leaders through the years. Among the . . . — Map (db m44946) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-23 — Mulberry Street Methodist Church
This church, organized in 1826, is on land deeded to it by the Georgia Legislature in the same year. In 1828, the first church building in Macon was erected on this site. The first appointed pastor was Thomas Darley, who had been ordained by Bishop . . . — Map (db m29210) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge CemeteryEstablished 1840
Oak Ridge Cemetery, also a part of Rose Hill Cemetery, was set aside for Negro slave burials of many prominent Macon families. Many affluent descendants of slaves such as doctors, teachers, and businessmen are also buried here. — Map (db m103153) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge Cemetery1840 to 1865
Macon native Simri Rose, for whom Rose Hill Cemetery is named, established these grounds in 1840. Rose set aside ten acres of the property for slave owners to purchase and bury enslaved people and to bury city-owned enslaved people. On September 12, . . . — Map (db m103166) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge Cemetery1866 To Present
After the Civil War, the three distinct sections present in Oak Ridge today began to form. In addition to the antebellum and Civil War burials of enslaved people, a portion of Oak Ridge was sold to William Wolff in 1879 as a burial ground for Temple . . . — Map (db m103179) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Post 3 Macon
We of the American Legion honor those men who lost their lives in the Viet-Nam Conflict Aug. 5, 1964 to Aug. 15, 1973 from Bibb County, GA. * ARMY * *MARINES* *AIR FORCE* Baker, J. W. Betleyoun, G. C. Brown, . . . — Map (db m53432) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Rose Hill Cemetery"Recollection in a bouquet of yesterday"
Rose Hill Cemetery opened in May of 1840, twenty one years before the first casualties of the Civil War. Seven Macon soldiers were killed in the battle at Pensacola, Fl., in the first year of the war 1861. Four were brought to Macon and buried in . . . — Map (db m99507) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-12 — Site: Wesleyan CollegeWorld’s First College Chartered to Grant Degrees to Women
On December 23, 1836, the Legislature of the State of Georgia chartered The Georgia Female College. The first class graduated July 26, 1840. In 1843, the name was changed to Wesleyan Female College; in 1919 to Wesleyan College. The oldest . . . — Map (db m54616) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-4 — St. Joseph's Catholic Church
The history of Roman Catholicism in Macon dates to a visit in 1829 by Bishop John England of the Diocese of Charleston and the subsequent migration of Irish Catholic families in the 1830s. In 1841 Macon's Catholics received their first pastor, . . . — Map (db m22189) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-6 — St. Peter Claver Catholic Church and School
This African-American parish began in 1888 and was named St. Peter Claver in 1903, in honor of the Patron Saint of Negro Missions. The current school, convent, and rectory were built here after the parish moved from Pio Nono Avenue in 1913. The . . . — Map (db m25123) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-3 — The Dunlap House←←←
The only battles fought at Macon took place here. Twice the Federals attacked Macon, emplanting their cannon on this farm, and twice they were repulsed. In the first attack under Gen. Stoneman on July 30, 1864, they shelled Macon from 10 A.M. until . . . — Map (db m44995) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — The Dunlap HouseOcmulgee National Monument
In 1856, Samuel S. Dunlap constructed this house as part of his 400-acre cotton plantation. The plantation was operated by nineteen slaves who lived in three cabins. The Dunlap family also owned a home on High Street in the city of Macon. On July . . . — Map (db m98654) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-1 — The First Baptist Church of Christat Macon
This church was founded in 1826 as the city’s first Baptist congregation. It was first located at the site of the present Bibb County Courthouse. The fourth and final move, to this site, occurred in 1883 and the current building was dedicated in . . . — Map (db m23046) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-17 — The First Presbyterian Church
Organized as the Presbyterian Church of Macon on June 18, 1826, by the Rev. Benjamin Gildersleeve and the Rev. Joseph C. Stiles, the church dedicated this house of worship, its third, on September 19, 1858, at the close of the ministry of the Rev. . . . — Map (db m44944) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-14 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, began his March to the Sea. His army (650,000 infantry and 5,500 cavalry) moved in two widely separated wings. The Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard, . . . — Map (db m25408) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-13 — The Stoneman Raid
In July, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” Sherman sought to force its evacuation by sending Maj. Gen. Geo. . . . — Map (db m44555) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Unknown, But Not Forgotten
Before you are the known graves of almost 1,000 people who died enslaved. Despite the enormous number of people who died in slavery in the United States, the burial sites of only a small number of the enslaved are known. Oak Ridge Cemetery is . . . — Map (db m103177) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Vineville United Methodist ChurchSouth Georgia Conference — February 12, 2006
Vineville United Methodist Church, the oldest daughter of Mulberry Street United Methodist Church, was begun in 1846 to serve wealthy planners of the village of Vineville, just outside Macon. It has been located on this site since 1897. The current . . . — Map (db m44570) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration
As U.S. Army and Georgia Militia Headquarters, Fort Hawkins played a significant role in the War of 1812. The fort supplied all command and logistics support for the Southern Theatre and fort personnel participated directly in the Creek War and The . . . — Map (db m59575) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 226 — Wesleyan CollegeFirst College Chartered to Grant Degrees to Women — December 23, 1836
Led by the Methodist Community, a citizens’ committee in the city of Macon founded Wesleyan as the first baccalaureate college for women. The Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church accepted the college from the committee, appointed a . . . — Map (db m55010) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — William Arthur Fickling, Sr.Father of Cherry Blossoms
In grateful memory of William Arthur Fickling, Sr. (1903 - 1990), a long time resident of Macon and Bibb County and leader in numerous civic, governmental, religious and charitable organizations and activities. Mr. Fickling’s broad ranging . . . — Map (db m49768) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773–1777 — Deep South Region
In 1775 William Bartram wrote of viewing “Old Okmulgee Fields” and remains of the power and grandeur of ancients of area. — Map (db m419) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777
During his 1775 visit, Bartram noted this area “exhibited a delightful diversified rural scene and promises a happy, fruitful, and salubrious region.” — Map (db m49588) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-15 — Wilson's Raid To Macon
On March 22, 1865, the Cavalry Corps, Military Division of the Mississippi [US], Bvt. Maj. Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, left the Tennessee River near Florence, Ala., and marched south to Selma to destroy its arsenals and foundries. On April 10th, . . . — Map (db m25380) HM
Georgia (Bleckley County), Cochran — 012-1 — Bleckley County
This County, created by an act of the Georgia Legislature July 30, 1912, is named for Chief Justice Logan E. Bleckley, of the Georgia Supreme Court, one of the greatest jurists in the history of this State. Born in Rabun County in 1827, he . . . — Map (db m47553) HM
Georgia (Bleckley County), Cochran — Dedicated to the Memory of James (Jim) Earnest Cook1884 – 1955
Beloved lifelong citizen of Cochran and Bleckley County, he was a banker, farmer, mayor, Rotarian, Mason, Shriner and a never failing friend to all. His example to do all men good helped shape the lives and destiny of this county. His Christian . . . — Map (db m57925) HM
Georgia (Bleckley County), Cochran — 012-3 — Evergreen Baptist Church»—→
Evergreen Baptist Church, built in 1844, was split off from old Mt. Horeb Baptist Church, constituted October 15, 1809, which stood at or near the site of the Centenary Methodist Church. On February 14, 1844, the congregation and pastor found . . . — Map (db m40312) HM
Georgia (Bleckley County), Cochran — In Memory of Perry L. Johnson
July 21, 1908 – October 8, 1986 In memory of Perry L. Johnson, of Bleckley County, Georgia who at age 36 while serving as a Corporal in the United States Army during WW II, single handedly captured fifteen German soldiers at St. Malo, . . . — Map (db m57624) HM
Georgia (Bleckley County), Cochran — 012-2 — Longstreet Methodist Church
Longstreet Methodist Church was organized around 1812 and the original building is still in use. Land for the church was given by Charles Walker, one of the five sons of George Walker, Revolutionary soldier and early settler. The sons built on a . . . — Map (db m40313) HM
Georgia (Bleckley County), Cochran — Lucian A. Whipple
Attorney, Statesman, and Educator of Cochran, Bleckley County, for more than seventy years. This plaque is erected to commemorate the 100th birthday of Col. Whipple and his contributions to this community. — Map (db m57948) HM
Georgia (Bleckley County), Cochran — Sgt. John F. Conner, Sr.
In Memory of Sgt. John F. Conner, Sr. Who gave his life in line of duty. “Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.” St. John 15:13 — Map (db m57947) HM
Georgia (Bleckley County), Cochran — 012-4 — Uchee Path
This highway coincides closely with a segment of a noted east-west Indian route called the Lower Uchee Path. Beginning at Old Town on the Ogeechee, the trail led this way by Carr’s Shoals, on the Oconee, above Dublin, thence via Cochran, . . . — Map (db m40267) HM
Georgia (Brantley County), Hoboken — 84 B-7 — Trail Ridge
This ridge, interrupted only by major streams, extends south from the Altamaha River in Georgia to the Santa Fe River in Florida, a distance of 130 miles. It is an ancient barrier beach formerly many miles off-shore in the sea which covered this . . . — Map (db m12423) HM
Georgia (Brantley County), Nahunta — 013-1 — Brantley County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 14, 1920, is named for Benjamin D. Brantley. It is said that the old B. & W. Railroad, which was partly destroyed, marked the most southern point of advance of Sherman`s Army. Among the first . . . — Map (db m24045) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Grooverville — 014-10 — Grooverville Methodist Church
This church had its beginning in 1832, on the plantation of William H. Ramsey, about 4 1/2 miles Southwest of here. There being no Methodist services in the vicinity at the time he and his family moved to this area. Mr. Ramsey built a brush-arbor . . . — Map (db m10025) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Grooverville — 014-4 — Liberty Baptist Church
Between 1837 and 1841 the Baptists in this section were stirred on Missions, Sunday Schools and ministerial support. In 1841 the Ocklochnee anti-Missionary Baptist Assn. passed a ruling to dismiss members believing in the “new fangled . . . — Map (db m10172) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Morven — 014-3 — Mount Zion Camp Ground
The first Camp Meeting was held on this site in 1828 by a "few scattered Methodists" before any Methodist Church in the area was organized. William Hendry, William Blair and Hamilton W. Sharpe, as a committee, selected the site. Rev. Adam Wyrick was . . . — Map (db m14761) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Morven — 014-6 — Old Coffee Road<–––– ––––>
The Old Coffee Road, first vehicular and postal route of this area, passed here running southwestward from the Ocmulgee River via today´s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick, and Thomasville to the Florida line above Tallahassee. The thoroughfare was . . . — Map (db m14751) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Nankin — 014-7 — Columbia Primitive Baptist Church
Columbia Primitive Baptist Church was formally constituted on the first Sunday in October, 1833, after serving as an arm of Bethany Church more than a year. Moses Dees was the first delegate from Columbia to the annual meeting of the mother church, . . . — Map (db m14749) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Pavo — 014-8 — Bethel Primitive Baptist Church
Bethel Primitive Baptist Church, the second Baptist Church to be organized in the area of old Lowndes County, was constituted September 2, 1826. The organizing Presbytery were: Elders Benjamin Manning. Matthew Albritton and Henry Melton, with . . . — Map (db m51514) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 014-9 — Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church
Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church about 4 miles Southwest of here, was constituted November 29, 1834. The charter members included: William T. Rushing, his wife, Belinda; Asa Geiger, his wife, Nancy; William Jones, his wife, Elizabeth; James . . . — Map (db m14747) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 014-1 — Brooks County
This county created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 11, 1858, is named for Preston Smith Brooks, zealous defender of States Rights. Born in S.C. Aug. 6, 1819, Brooks served in the Mexican War & in Congress. He died June 27, 1857. The first County . . . — Map (db m26977) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — Brooks County Veterans Monument
Brooks County Veterans They All Gave Some Gave All — Map (db m102343) WM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 14-1 — Civil War Slave Conspiracy
In August 1864, during the American Civil War, four men were executed in Brooks County, Georgia, for conspiring to plot a slave insurrection. The conspirators – led by a local white man, John Vickery, and three slaves named Nelson, George, and . . . — Map (db m40368) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 014-5 — Old Coffee Road<–––– ––––>
The Old Coffee Road, earliest vehicular and postal route of this area, crossed here, leading southwestward from the Ocmulgee River via today´s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick and Thomasville to the Florida Line. The thoroughfare was opened by . . . — Map (db m14763) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — Our Confederate Dead
Our Confederate Dead Erected By The Ladies Memorial Association 1878 ( back ) Brothers Rest In Peace. — Map (db m102344) WM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — Quitman Veterans Memorial
To Those Who Gave Much. To Those Who Gave All Quitman and Brooks County Dedicates This Memorial November 11, 1921 Erected by Quitman Chapter United Daughters of The Confederacy 1st Lt. Wilbur Oglesby Privates Arthur Culpepper · . . . — Map (db m102345) WM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 014-2 — West End Cemetery
In this cemetery, during the last year of the War Between the States, a number of Confederate soldiers, 17 of them unknown, were buried. Memorial services for these soldiers were held as early as 1869. In 1871, on Memorial Day, April 26, a group of . . . — Map (db m26978) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Blitchton — 015-10 — Jencks Bridge
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive Campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Left Wing (14th . . . — Map (db m11957) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Blitchton — 015-5B — Old River Road
The highway northward is the Old River Road, one of the earliest routes west of the Ogeechee and a leading way from Savannah to Georgia`s western frontier. It followed an old Indian trial [sic] along the Ogeechee to a point west of Bartow, . . . — Map (db m12474) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Ellabell — 015-11 — Sherman's Right Wing
On Dec. 6, 1864, the 15th Corps (US), the extreme right of Gen. Sherman's army on its destructive March to the Sea, camped near Jenk`s Bridge on Great Ogeechee River, east of Blitchton. On the 7th, Oliver's brigade was sent in advance of Hazen's . . . — Map (db m11939) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Keller — 15-1 — Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church
This church, the oldest congregation in lower Bryan County, was certified by the Presbytery of Georgia in 1830. Its founders included rice planters on Bryan Neck, among them Thomas Savage Clay, Richard James Arnold and George Washington McAllister. . . . — Map (db m18648) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — 015-1 — Bryan County
This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Jonathan Bryan, Revolutionary patriot and member of the Executive Council in 1777. The `lost town` of Hardwick on the Ogeechee River was the first temporary County . . . — Map (db m14952) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — Bryan County
Named for the Honorable Jonathan Bryan, Esq. 1708- 1788 Founder, Father, and Patriot of Georgia. — Map (db m14954) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — Old City Jail
Built in 1912, this structure was originally a simple one-room brick cube with barred windows an an armored door. It was used to house offenders for short periods for fighting, public drunkenness and similar minor offenses. In 1928, the . . . — Map (db m15816) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-8 — "Dead Town" of Hardwicke»—8 mi.—→
On May 10, 1754 GEORGE TOWN was established at the "Elbow" of Great Ogeechee River, eight miles east. In February, 1755, Gov. Reynolds, dissatisfied with Savannah as a capital and as a port, chose this new site because it has a . . . — Map (db m8364) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church
Organized in 1869, this is the oldest African-American church congregation in lower Bryan County. The first structure for the church, a Prayer House, was built in 1870 on this site near the white Presbyterian Church (Burnt Church). London Harris, a . . . — Map (db m54193) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Burnt Church Cemetery
Near this site in 1830 the Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church was established, being the oldest organized congregation in Bryan County. The church served the numerous planter families of lower Bryan, which had become one of the most productive . . . — Map (db m54354) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — C.S.S. Nashville
Built by William Collyer in New York City. She was ordered by New York merchants and launched September 22, 1853. Her maiden voyage was from New York to Charleston, South Carolina, under the name United States Mail Steamship . . . — Map (db m12868) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Canaan Church
The congregation of the Canaan Baptist Church, primarily African-American, was organized in 1913 by Rev. David Boles, Sr., who was pastor, and Brother Fred Gilbert, Deacon. It was the only organized denominational church in what is now Richmond Hill . . . — Map (db m59957) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Capt. John McCradyDesigner of Fort McAllister
Charlestonian, a student of Agassiz at Harvard, then professor of mathematics at the College of Charleston, he resigned his position at the outbreak of the war and became an officer in the Confederate engineers. Transferred to Savannah he spent his . . . — Map (db m12711) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Capt. Nicholas Clinch
When called upon by a Union officer to surrender during Sherman`s assault, December 13, 1864, Clinch responded with a blow of his sword. After three sabre, six bayonet, and two gunshot wounds, he was taken. — Map (db m13075) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Cheves' Rice Mill
From the roof of Cheves' rice mill (2 1/2 miles across the Ogeechee in the direction of the arrow) General Sherman and his staff watched the reduction of Fort McAllister, sunset, December 13, 1864. — Map (db m12914) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Columbiad
This replica of a coast defense cannon known as the columbiad was manufactured, 1964, by Savannah Machine and Foundry Company as a public service. A similar cannon was positioned here during Union naval attacks, 1863. The columbiad fired 87-lb. . . . — Map (db m12776) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Community House
Outside of their expansive home on the Ogeechee River, this is the single most imposing structure built by Henry and Clara Ford during their sojourn in Richmond Hill from 1926 to 1951. Built by local labor in 1936 near the Ways Station School, the . . . — Map (db m54221) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Confederate Land Mines
Land mines or torpedoes buried along the western approaches to the fort caused most of the casualties to the Union troops in the assault on December 13, 1864. After the taking of the fort, General Sherman personally gave orders that the captured . . . — Map (db m13071) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Courthouse Annex
This wood-frame structure, situated on a site known since the creation of Bryan County in 1793 as “the Crossroads”, was built in 1939 with funding provided by Henry Ford. The building came to be familiarly called “the . . . — Map (db m54142) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Damage From Naval Bombardments
The largest naval guns used against land fortifications were fired on fort McAllister in 1863 from monitor-type Union ironclads. 15 in. shells penetrated 17 feet of sand, digging craters 89 ft. in diameter and 7 ft. deep on exploding, but all damage . . . — Map (db m13037) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Destruction of the C.S.S. Nashville
The swift Confederate blockade runner Nashville ( renamed Rattlesnake) was destroyed by the monitor Montauk, February 28, 1863, after she went aground on a sandbar in a hairpin bend of the Ogeechee River. The engagement was . . . — Map (db m11474) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-9 — Fort Argyle
Near here, on the West bank of the Ogeechee River, Fort Argyle was built in 1733, to command one of the main passes by which enemy Indians had recently invaded South Carolina, and to give protection to the settlers of Savannah from anticipated raid . . . — Map (db m29523) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-6 — Fort McAllister»— 10 Mi. →
Situated at Genesis Point, 10 miles east on the right bank of the Great Ogeechee River below the "lost town" of Hardwick, this fort was the right of the exterior line designed for the defense of Savannah. It denied the use of the river to Union . . . — Map (db m8387) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-5 — Fort McAllister← 4.5 mi.—«
East 4.5 miles, on Great Ogeechee River, Fort McAllister was built 1861-62 to guard the "back door" to Savannah. During 1862-63, it repulsed 7 attacks by armored vessels, some mounting 15-inch guns. Dec. 13, 1864, its small garrison of 230 Georgians . . . — Map (db m29452) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-3 — Fort McAllister The Assault From The Rear
Dec. 1864. Fort McAllister, built 1861-62 to close the Great Ogeechee River to enemy ships, mounted 11 siege guns, 12 field pieces and 1 10-inch mortar. Below it, piles and torpedoes obstructed the channel. As the Union forces neared Savannah, the . . . — Map (db m16103) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-4 — Fort McAllister The Naval Bombardments
On July 1st and 29th, 1862, the fort was shelled by Union gunboats and on Nov. 19th by the ironclad "Wissahickon" and two escort craft. Hit below the waterline, "Wissahickon" withdrew after firing 17 11-inch and 25 other shells. The escorts withdrew . . . — Map (db m16102) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — George W. McAllister
Buried here is George Washington McAllister (1781-1850), a prominent planter of Bryan County. In 1817, McAllister acquired Strathy Hall Plantation on the Ogeechee River where he cultivated rice and was one of the largest slave owners on Bryan Neck. . . . — Map (db m59985) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — George Washington Carver School
On these grounds in 1939, Henry Ford built a school to serve the educational needs of the African-American children of lower Bryan County. Professor Herman Cooper was appointed as the Principal when the school opened later that year, originally with . . . — Map (db m54321) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Guale Village at Seven-Mile Bend
Across the Ogeechee River from this point was the northernmost town of the Province of Guale, the village of Satuache. Spanish records place Satuache about 10 miles northeast of Guale’s provincial capital at Mission Santa Catalina (St. Catherines . . . — Map (db m60008) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Hardwicke
This site on the Great Ogeechee, 14 miles from the Atlantic, was selected in 1755 by Governor John Reynolds for the capital of Georgia. He named it for his kinsman, Lord High Chancellor of England, Phillip Yorke Hardwicke. Reynolds said: "Hardwicke . . . — Map (db m11225) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-12 — Hazen's Division at the Canoochee River
On Dec. 6, 1864, the 15th Corps (US), Maj. Gen. P. J. Osterhaus, USA the extreme right of Gen. Sherman's army on its destructive March to the Sea, camped near Jenk's Bridge, on Great Ogeechee River east of Blichton. On the 7th, Oliver's brigade of . . . — Map (db m15812) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Henry Ford at Richmond Hill
In 1925, Henry Ford of Detroit, Mich., a leading American automobile pioneer who perfected the assembly line concept of auto manufacturing, began acquiring large tracts of land on both sides of the nearby Ogeechee River. He sponsored extensive . . . — Map (db m54170) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — J. F. Gregory
For nearly 20 years, J. F. (Jack) Gregory was the general manager and superintendent for all of Henry Ford’s various operations in and around Ways Station, later Richmond Hill. Serving for Ford from the 1920s until 1946, Gregory oversaw the . . . — Map (db m59669) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Jack Fleming Gregory, Senior1888-1960 — Dedicated October 1999
Superintendent of the Henry Ford Plantation at Richmond Hill, Georgia 1929 until the death of Henry Ford in 1947, under his supervision, the dreams Henry Ford envisioned for this community were accomplished. This plaque is placed here in . . . — Map (db m112148) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-13 — Kilpatrick on Bryan Neck
On Dec. 12, 1864, the 3rd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen. J. L. Kilpatrick, USA, covering the right rear of Gen. Sherman`s army which was then closing in on Savannah, crossed the Great Ogeechee River near Fort Argyle and the Canoochee River near . . . — Map (db m29458) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Kindergarten Building
This structure was built in 1940 by Henry Ford to serve as a kindergarten for the children of Ways Station-Richmond Hill during the Ford era. The building included a kitchen and two large classrooms to accommodate children aged three years to six. . . . — Map (db m54435) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Machinery From The C.S.S. Nashville
These portions of rotating machinery were removed, in 1960, from the wreck of the Confederate blockade runner Nashville, sunk in the Ogeechee River by shell fire from the U.S.S. Montauk in Feb. 1863. These relics give some conception . . . — Map (db m16105) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Major Gallie's Gun
In this emplacement, chosen nearest the enemy, was the gun, an 8-inch columbiad, commanded personally by Major John B. Gallie. — Map (db m12995) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Major John B. Gallie
Killed in action while commanding the fort during the second attack of the monitor MONTAUK, February 1, 1863. The 32-pounder beside which he was standing was struck while Gallie was going from gun to gun, encouraging his men to calmness of aim. — Map (db m13072) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Martha-Mary Chapel
Henry and Clara Ford had this chapel built in 1937 near the Community House and the Ways Station School. The chapel was named for the mothers of Henry Ford (Mary) and Clara Ford (Martha). Students from the nearby school utilized the Martha-Mary . . . — Map (db m54319) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Obstruction of River
To block the channel of the Ogeechee River, a double row of piling was placed across the river at a point opposite this marker. — Map (db m12867) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Position of the Monitors
The monitors took positions against the far marsh in the direction of the arrow, between 900 and 1200 yards from the fort during the following series of attacks: by the MONTAUK, January 27, February 1, and February 28, 1863; and by the PASSAIC, the . . . — Map (db m12777) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Rice Cultivation on the Ogeechee
The production of rice on Bryan Neck utilized upstream fresh water and the tidal influences of the Ogeechee River. Heavy wooden trunks, or tidegates, along the levees and embankments in the rice fields allowed the inflow and outflow of fresh water . . . — Map (db m59995) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Richard J. Arnold
Richard James Arnold (1796-1873) acquired nearby White Hall Plantation through his marriage in 1823 to Louisa Gindrat. A Rhode Island native, Arnold invested heavily in White Hall for the cultivation of cotton and in his Cherry Hill and Mulberry . . . — Map (db m59997) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Robert E. Lee
( No Inscription ) No Historical fact mentioned — Map (db m67447) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-7 — Sinking of the CSS ''Nashville (Rattlesnake)"
In July, 1862 the CSS "Nashville", Capt. Baker, ran the Union blockade and entered Savannah via Wilmington river with a cargo of arms. Loaded with cotton for Europe, she attempted to escape via Ossabaw Sound. Thwarted by the vigilance of the . . . — Map (db m16104) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — The "Bottom" Village
The “Bottom” residential village, built in the mid-1930s, was the first housing project developed by Henry Ford for his employees in the Ways Station (later Richmond Hill) area. The name originated from the fact that the area had been a . . . — Map (db m59965) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — The Clay Family of Bryan Neck
In this cemetery are interred members of the Clay family, among the most prominent of Bryan Neck and coastal Georgia from the colonial era of Georgia through the 19th century. Prominent among these are Thomas Savage Clay (1801-1849) and his wife . . . — Map (db m59986) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Tom CatGarrison Mascot
The sole Confederate fatality after seven hours of intensive bombardment on March 3, 1863, by the monitors PASSAIC (Capt. Percival Drayton), NAHANT, and PATAPSCO, supported by the MONTAUK, the WISSAHICKON, the SENECA, the DAWN, the FLAMBEAU, the . . . — Map (db m13038) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Ways Station
In 1856, the Savannah, Albany & Gulf R.R. was built across the nearby Ogeechee River into Bryan County. Near this site a train depot was built, which came to be known as “Ways No. 1 ½” for William J. Way, the first station master . . . — Map (db m54398) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Adabelle — 16-1 — Croatan Indian Community
In 1870 a group of Croatan Indians migrated from their homes in Robeson County North Carolina, following the turpentine industry to southeast Georgia. Eventually many of the Croatans became tenant farmers for the Adabelle Trading Company, growing . . . — Map (db m14156) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Arcola — 016-2A — John Abbot (1751-1839)Ornithologist, Entomologist, Artist »—⅓ Mi.→
In the old McElveen Cemetery, one-third of a mile northeast of this marker, is the grave of John Abbot, pioneer naturalist of Georgia. Abbot was born in London June 1, 1751, and in early youth became devoted to the study and delineation of insects. . . . — Map (db m24018) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Arcola — John Abbot 1751 - 1840
John Abbot of Georgia 1751-1840 Talented artist and searching naturalist of birds and insects. As a tribute to him and his work may you who stand here find pleasure in the natural beauty of Georgia. John Abbot lies buried in this . . . — Map (db m107593) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Brooklet — Brooklet, Georgia
Brooklet, known for its avenue of oak trees, took shape at the end of the 19th century on property owned by A.J. Lee. Optimistic citizens built a new town beside the recently completed Savannah & Statesboro Railroad. Dr. H.K. Thayer, an early . . . — Map (db m107867) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Brooklet — Upper Black Creek Church
(Side 1): Upper Black Creek met each month on the third Sunday and Saturday before from the time she was organized in 1802 until the Church elected to meet every Sunday in 1957. Conference was every month on those Saturdays, and Upper . . . — Map (db m38614) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Brooklet — Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church
Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church was constituted on August 15, 1802 in the home of John Albritton. The organizing presbytery consisted of Henry Cook, Isham Peacock, John Goldwire and Henry Holcombe. With a membership upward of 40 members. . . . — Map (db m38612) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Donegal — 016-5 — Old Savannah Road←—→
The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee River. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, to the south of the present Milledgeville. there it connected with the main . . . — Map (db m11101) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Donegal — 016-1 — Union Meeting House(Organized 1790)
Three miles east of this point, on the old River Road, is located Union Meeting House (Methodist), the oldest church in Bulloch county, and one of the oldest churches in Georgia remaining continuously active since its organization. Title was . . . — Map (db m10890) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Ivanhoe — 016-4 — Old River Road<------->
The highway crossing here is the Old River Road, one of the earliest white man’s routes west of the Ogeechee. The State authorized the opening of this portion of the old thoroughfare in 1777. It followed the course of an Indian trail that led to the . . . — Map (db m54031) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Nevils — Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad>>>>--->
This is the site of the Nevils railroad station. The paved road from Denmark to Nevils is the original bed of The Shearwood Railroad that existed from 1912 until 1937. John N. Shearhouse of Brooklet and George Brinson of Stillmore owned Shearwood . . . — Map (db m107645) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Portal — Old Portal<----<<<<
The original Portal was located 2 miles north of the current site on Old Portal Road. It got its name in 1894, when the U.S. Postal Service approved a post office for Portal. The E. E. Foy Company, of Effingham County, built a mercantile store that . . . — Map (db m107650) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Portal — Upper Lotts Creek Primitive Baptist Church and CemeteryBulloch County, Georgia
Organized circa 1829, the church was originally located at the home of Absolom Parrish and called Parrish Meeting House. Following a fire of the log structure on the Parrish farm, the congregation built a second log structure one and one-half miles . . . — (db m107078) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Portal — GHS 16-2 — Willow Hill Elementary School for NegroesA Georgia Equalization School
Willow Hill School was established in 1874 during Reconstruction as one of the first schools for African Americans in Bulloch County. It was privately supported until being sold to the local Board of Education in 1920. In 1954 the county built a new . . . — Map (db m107702) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Portal — Willow Hill School and Community>>>>--->
In 1874, nine years after the Civil War ended, a group of former slaves of the Riggs, Donaldson, Parrish, and Hall families founded the Willow Hill School to serve the area’s black children. Georgia Ann Riggs, age 15 and a former slave, was the . . . — Map (db m107739) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Register — Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House
Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House c. 1872 Restored 1976 by Dr. C. D. and Mrs. Lois Durrence Sheley Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1987 U. S. Dept. of the Interior — Map (db m63219) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Register — Register, Georgia
Side 1: Register, Georgia, a small turpentine community with a largely agricultural heritage, grew into fruition at the turn of the twentieth century. Originally settled in 1855, the town was earlier known as Bengal, then Herschal. . . . — Map (db m108621) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — United States vs. Darby Lumber Company>>>>---->
The U.S. Supreme Court’s 1941 decision United States vs Darby Lumber Co. is a landmark ruling in American legal history. The case affirmed the federal government’s ability to regulate employment conditions, including a minimum wage, under the . . . — Map (db m107876) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Akins’ Mill Pond / The Families of Akins’ Mill Pond
Akins’ Mill Pond About 1883, using a narrow gauge railroad with mule drawn hopper cars, Green Barnes built a dam on the headwaters of Mill Creek, creating a 300-acre pond, which soon came into the possession of Barnes’ son-in-law, Welcome . . . — Map (db m110737) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Banks Dairy Farm
The Banks Dairy Farm was operated on this site and included 900 acres of cultivated land combined with dairying operations. David Callaway Banks, born April 8, 1882, in Bulloch County, Georgia, was the founder of Banks Dairy Farm and The City Dairy . . . — Map (db m106900) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — 016-2B — Bulloch County
Bulloch County was created by Act. of Feb. 8, 1776 from Bryan and Screven Counties. Originally, it contained part of Evans, Candler, Emanuel and Jenkins Counties. It was named for Archibald Bulloch (1730-1777), Revolutionary leader, elected Pres. of . . . — Map (db m10401) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Bulloch County Courthouse
The United States Department of Interior has placed this property on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m10454) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Eastside Cemetery
Eastside Cemetery was established on this site in 1889 in response to citizens’ requests for a central location for the burial of the dead. Early cemeteries, known is burying grounds, dotted fields of early Bulloch County family farms. Majestic . . . — Map (db m107776) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — First Baptist Church of StatesboroConstituted September 3, 1882 — Rev. W. M. Cowart, First Pastor
Charter Members Deacon Edmond Kennedy, Deacon A. B. Miller, W.B. Corey, Joseph Tillman, James Price, J. J. M. Griner, Moselle Miller, Mary Tillman, Elizabeth Kennedy, Mary J. Proctor "We covenant with God and with each other … . . . — Map (db m10543) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — First District Agricultural and Mechanical School
Georgia Southern University was founded as First District A&M in 1906. Bulloch County won a bidding war with Tattnall and Emanuel counties offering cash, 300 acres of land, and utilities worth $125,500. Often referred to locally as the . . . — Map (db m108123) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Harville House
Samuel’s son, Keebler Henry Harville, purchased the property and built the Harville House as a one-story house around 1894. The second story was added ten years later resulting in a total of 14 rooms to accommodate a growing family. The vernacular . . . — Map (db m106950) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Marvin Summers Pittman1882 - 1954
President of South Georgia Teachers College and Georgia Teachers College 1934-1941 and 1943-1947 A pioneer in developing rural education, President Pittman organized the College to serve the region and state as a comprehensive . . . — Map (db m10678) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — 19 — New Hope Methodist Church1804
Organized from Union by Rev. Lewis Mayers, New Hope was Bulloch’s second Methodist Church. 1804 trustees were David Kennedy, Josiah Everette, Jarvis Jackson, Burrell Whittington and William M. Kennedy: other leaders were Joseph Hodges, Eli Kennedy . . . — Map (db m107020) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — 016-8 — Pioneer Turpentining Experiment
Dr. Charles Holmes Herty of the University of Georgia Chemistry Department conducted experiments in this forest that revolutionized the naval stores industry in America. Inspired by conservative gum resin gathering methods in Europe, Dr. Herty . . . — Map (db m10632) HM

4789 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 4389
Paid Advertisement