In rich Brazos River basin; had settlers early as 1825. Site in 1830 of Tenoxtitlan, one of 3 forts built by Mexico in Texas, situated above El Camino Real (The King's Highway) crossing on Brazos River. North of the road was Sterling Robertson's . . . — — Map (db m125668) HM
During World War II, out of a population of 18,000 close to 1300 men and women from Burleson County joined the military, with 450 who attended Caldwell High School drafted or voluntarily enlisted. Many had never been outside the county before their . . . — — Map (db m125665) HM
On Feb. 23, 1861, citizens voted for secession, 422 to 84. On March 1, the "Burleson Guards" organized and offered its services to the state. Most "Guards" were mustered into Co.G, 2nd Texas Infantry Regt., and others served in Walker's Texas . . . — — Map (db m125671) HM
In 1840 the Republic of Texas Congress annexed to Milam County all of Washington County north of Yegua Creek and west of the Brazos River. The name Caldwell, which honored Mathew "Old Paint" Caldwell, a noted pioneer and a signer of the Texas . . . — — Map (db m125666) HM
Founded about 1840 where colonial road from southeast crossed San Antonio Road.
Settler Gabriel Jackson had two-story log cabin-trading post here. Community was named for Silas L. Cooke, who surveyed much land in this vicinity. It is now a . . . — — Map (db m125653) HM
When Mexican Dictator Santa Anna revoked national rights, 30 or more men from this sparsely settled area left to resist his armies: in Grass Fight (Nov. 26, 1835), Siege of Bexar (Dec. 5-9) and other actions. While able men were absent, the foe came . . . — — Map (db m125670) HM
Born in Tennessee c. 1836-37, John Mitchell came to Texas in 1846. He began purchasing land in this area in 1870, the same year he married Viney Cox. As a member of both the 12th and 14th Legislatures, Mitchell championed increased educational . . . — — Map (db m125669) HM
Situated where the Old San Antonio Road crossed the Brazos River, this public ferry was begun by Michael Boren (1806-75) about 1846. The ferry and a settlement nearby were named for Daniel Moseley (1787-1856), who took over the service in 1849 and . . . — — Map (db m68684) HM
Noted pioneer leader. Member Virginia House of Delegates (1844-45). Piloted to Texas (1854) a mile-long wagon train of 200 people, who built Salem Baptist Church - reminder of their Virginia home.
Broaddus debated the Hon. Sam Houston at . . . — — Map (db m125652) HM
Created in 1840 (same year Caldwell was laid out) when lots 3 and 12 were made a "Grave Yard and Church lot" forever.
Town founder Lewis L. Chiles (d.1864) is buried here. Oldest legible stone is for Margarette A. King and infant daughter . . . — — Map (db m74389) HM
In 1906 Somerville hosted the annual reunion of the Hood's Texas Brigade Association, a group established in 1872 for veterans of the celebrated Confederate unit. For two days, June 27-28, 74 veterans were honored with a celebration which included . . . — — Map (db m74293) HM
This railroad bell was given in memory of James W. Lauderdale (1854-1914), Burleson County pioneer. He came by covered wagon caravan from Mississippi to Texas. In 1888 he married Florence Brooks. They had four children: Cyrus, Davis, Charles and . . . — — Map (db m74296) HM
Fred Harvey, a native of England, began operation of his Santa Fe Railroad dining rooms in 1876. In 1900 a Harvey House opened in Somerville, Divisional Headquarters of the Santa Fe Line. The 2-story, galleried structure was 260 ft. long and . . . — — Map (db m74294) HM
Located where two branches of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway joined, town was named for Albert Somerville, first president of the railroad. First settlers arrived after town was surveyed about 1883; the post office was permanently established . . . — — Map (db m74295) HM
Emerging from the Great Depression, the Somerville school board partnered with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to build a football stadium. Known as "The Rock," the stadium was designed by Travis Broesche in the Rustic style of architecture. . . . — — Map (db m117792) HM
In 1690 the Spanish gave the name "San Francisco" to this 62-mile Brazos River tributary; but on an 1822 map, Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas", marked it "Yegua", Spanish for "mare". Mustang mares and foals then grazed among the Indians on the . . . — — Map (db m74292) HM