Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clinton County New York Historical Markers

 
View from McGregor Powerhouse image, Touch for more information
By Ellen Adams, July 30, 2017
View from McGregor Powerhouse
New York (Clinton County), Altona — McGregor Powerhouse
McGregor Powerhouse and LaSalle Dam est. 1923 by William H. Miner — Map (db m106442) HM
New York (Clinton County), Beekmantown — Culver Hill Memorial
Culver Hill, September 6, 1814. Near this spot fell Corporal Stephen Partridge of the Essex County New York State Militia, also Brevet Lieut. Colonel James Willington and Ensign John Chapman of the 3rd Foot British Army. — Map (db m106395) HM
New York (Clinton County), Beekmantown — Philip Farnsworth's Tavern
On Sept. 6, 1814 the left wing of the British Army, on its invasion route to Plattsburgh, passed here. It fired upon this house, according to tradition, thinking it to be a fort. — Map (db m105807) HM
New York (Clinton County), Beekmantown — Point Au Roche Methodist Episcopal Church
The Point Au Roche Methodist Episcopal Church stood west of this sign. It was built in the early 1850s on land from the Moore family. This red brick church was the community focal point, a place where people came to worship and socialize. — Map (db m105857) HM
New York (Clinton County), Beekmantown — The War of 1812
Culver Hill site of bloody skirmish between American forces and the invading British army Sept. 6, 1814 — Map (db m106392) HM
New York (Clinton County), Champlain — First School
In the first school which stood near this site Dr. William Beaumont surgeon and physiologist was schoolmaster, 1807-10. — Map (db m106843) HM
New York (Clinton County), Champlain — Jehudi Ashmun
Site of the birthplace of Jehudi Ashmun, April 21, 1794. First colonization agent at Liberia, Africa, 1822-1828. — Map (db m106844) HM
New York (Clinton County), Champlain — Point au Fer Historic Site
This wasn't always the quiet, peaceful place you find today. Point au Fer was once an important strategic military post. The northern half of Lake Champlain used to be controlled by the French. On June 6, 1760, during the French and Indian War . . . — Map (db m48732) HM
New York (Clinton County), Champlain — The "White House"
In 1774, a two-story white stone garrison was built here by the British, fortified by American Gen. John Sullivan with entrenchment and stockade in 1776 and destroyed by fire in 1805. British occupation 1774 - 1775 and 1776-1796. American . . . — Map (db m49069) HM
New York (Clinton County), Chazy — 1805 Log Home
Built by John B. Trombly who had a family of eleven. Oldest inhabited log home in Clinton County. — Map (db m106114) HM
New York (Clinton County), Chazy — A. Vantine Farm
Muron Regt. of 1000 men camped here prior to the Sept. 11, 1814 Battle of Plattsburgh. They never reached Plattsburgh. — Map (db m105808) HM
New York (Clinton County), Chazy — Chazy Central
This marker is to signify that Chazy School was the first central school in the state of New York and the U.S.A. Nov. 14, 1916. — Map (db m107203) HM
New York (Clinton County), Chazy — Homestead Site of Jean LaFramboise
1763 homestead site of Jean LaFramboise first settler in Clinton County driven out by Burgoyne in 1777-Returned 1783 Estab. 1st North Country apple orchard — Map (db m105856) HM
New York (Clinton County), Chazy — Riverview Cemetery
In 1811 Dr. Nathan Carver gave land for a cemetery. This is the burial place of local philanthropist William H. & Alice T. Miner. — Map (db m106416) HM
New York (Clinton County), Chazy — Sept. 11, 1814
Near this spot survivors of the British gunboat Simcoe buried their dead comrades left on board following the American naval victory on Plattsburgh Bay. — Map (db m105855) HM
New York (Clinton County), Chazy — The Scott Home
1814 British headquarters in Chazy village under Gen. Prevost with his staff of ten officers prior to the Battle of Plattsburgh — Map (db m106113) HM
New York (Clinton County), Dannemora — First State Hospital for Criminally Insane
1899 Governor Theodore Roosevelt signed bill establishing first state hospital for criminally insane - opened 1900 — Map (db m74882) HM
New York (Clinton County), Keeseville — Underground Railroad
Station where Negro slaves were aided to escape to Canada — Map (db m84244) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Battle of Valcour
Commemorating the valor of American Forces - led by - Benedict Arnold at the Battle of Valcour October 11, 1776 — Map (db m126078) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Jonas Platt Homeca. 1820
Jonas Platt (1769 – 1834) 2nd son of Zephaniah Platt and bro. of Robt. Platt. Jonas was Mem. NYS Assembly 1796, NYS Senate 1810 - 1813. — Map (db m126086) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Peru Landing
Est. ca. 1787 by John Craig as only port between Essex & Cumberland Head. 9-11-1814 VT. Militia landed here to join Battle of Plattsburgh. — Map (db m126083) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — 24 Pounder Cannon
These replica cannon are similar to those used on American Commandant Thomas Macdonough's flagship Saratoga on September 11, 1814. The 24 pound round iron shot from the long-range, smooth bore, muzzle-loaded "24" was effective up to one-half mile. — Map (db m76383) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Afghanistan and Iraq/ Plattsburgh Barracks Monument
We honor all those who served in Afghanistan and Iraq — Map (db m47535) WM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — B-47 Strato-Jet Bomber MemorialPlattsburgh Air Force Base
This B-47 Strato-Jet Bomber stands as a lasting memorial to the valiant men who flew and supported B-47’S from March 21, 1956 to December 14, 1965, while they were assigned to Plattsburgh Air Force Base.

This monument has been presented by the . . . — Map (db m92743) WM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Battle of Plattsburgh Bay
Throughout the War of 1812, British forces targeted Lake Champlain as an invasion route. United States Navy Lieutenant Thomas Macdonough was able to confine them in the Richelieu River of Quebec throughout the summer of 1813. American shipbuilders . . . — Map (db m48447) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — British Hospital
The British army used the basement of this house for a hospital during Battle of Plattsburg September, 1814 — Map (db m106552) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — City Hall - 1917

City Hall was built by John Russell Pope, who later used its classical lines to design the Jefferson Memorial in Washington.

L hotel de ville fut construite par John Russell Pope. Il reprit ce style de lignes classiques pour la . . . — Map (db m115220) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Col. Thomas Miller's Home
Site of Col. Thos. Miller's Home Cdr. 8th Reg. N.Y. Militia Battle of Plattsburgh. British troops occupied house Sept. 6-11, 1814. Orig. house burned 1844. — Map (db m106326) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — FB-111A Strategic Bomber(1971-1991) — Plattsburgh Air Force Base
The role of the FB-111A, Strategic Air Command’s premier penetrating bomber, spanned the last 20 years of the Cold War. This aircraft and the people in the 380th Bombardment Wing who flew, maintained and supported it, contributed to America’s most . . . — Map (db m92744) WM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — First Building
Erected in this settlement stood here in 1767. It was the home of Count Charles de Fredenburgh. — Map (db m48731) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Fort Brown
The embankment on this spot is all that remains of Fort Brown which constituted the left flank of the American line of defense at the Battle of Plattsburgh September 6-11, 1814 It was manned by detachments of the 30th & 31st Regiments of Infantry . . . — Map (db m46964) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Headquarters
Headquarters British Officers During Battle of Plattsburg, September, 1814 — Map (db m46139) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Headquarters Plattsburgh Barracks
Known as the Administration Building, this edifice stands at the apex of the parade ground and surrounding structures of Plattsburgh Barracks, an active U.S. Army post until 1944. It overlooks the site of the earthen fortification Fort Moreau which, . . . — Map (db m47531) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Heritage TrailFirst Blockhouse and Government Center
In 1789, four years after settling in Plattsburgh, residents built a block house for protection against the British - only miles away on Point au Fer on Lake Champlain. Though no British or Indian raids initially materialized, the . . . — Map (db m46595) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Isaac Platt Home
Maj. Gen. Robinson Hdas. Battle of Plattsburgh 1814 British soldiers wounded at Halsey's Corners brought here — Map (db m106325) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Loyal L. Smith

In memory of Loyal L. Smith who died February 11, 1908 Donor of this building to the City of Plattsburgh — Map (db m115222) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — MacDonough Monument
MacDonough Monument Erected to commemorate the victory of Commodore MacDonough The Battle of Plattsburgh — Map (db m47946) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Macdonough Monument - 1926
Macdonough Monument - 1926 Designed by John Russell Pope this 135 foot tall memorial commemorates the American naval victory at the Battle of Plattsburgh in 1814. Un monument a la victoire navale americaine en 1814 ce grand monument a ete . . . — Map (db m110157) HM WM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Memorial Chapel
Dedicated on 24 October 1933 in memory of those stationed here who gave their lives in WWI. The project was sponsored by the Churchwomen's League For Patriotic Service. Costing $22,472. It was constructed of weathered brick from a . . . — Map (db m47944) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Officers' Mess Plattsburgh Barracks
The stately structures surrounding the parade oval are the facilities of Plattsburgh Barracks, an active U.S. Army Post until 1944. The original installation was built during 1893-97 on the site of a military outpost which was established during the . . . — Map (db m76385) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Old Post Cemetery
Last resting place of soldiers from this nations wars Est. 1812 - 1970 PFC Robert A. LaFountain — Map (db m47375) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Plattsburg Bay
Plattsburg Bay has been designated a REGISTERED NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the . . . — Map (db m46524) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Plattsburgh Barracks Veterans Park
Dedicated to all Veterans who served this great nation in her time of need from the battles of the Revolution to the present — Map (db m47532) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Samuel Champlain
This monument was dedicated on July 6, 1912 to the memory of Samuel Champlain first European to behold our great forests and lofty mountains, and first to traverse this inland waterway, which later became so rich in fame. Champlain was born in . . . — Map (db m46525) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — State Normal School
State Normal and Training School at Plattsburgh chartered 1889, first class graduated 1891. After 1929 fire, Normal Hall replaced by present building 1933. Dedicated as Hawkins Hall 1955. — Map (db m106301) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The Ark-c 1803

The Village of Plattsburgh elected its first officers at The Ark, a popular hotel on May 2 1815.

Le village de Plattsburgh a elu ses premiers officiers le 2 mai 1815 dans i hotel de renom The Ark. — Map (db m115254) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The Delord House1810-1913
The DeLord House, 1810-1913, A Social Hub During the War of 1812 La maison Delord 1810-1913: bastion de la vie sociale Durant la guerre de 1812 In August 1810, Henry and Betsey Delord purchased the house they would enlarge and their family . . . — Map (db m110120) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The Remarkable One-Armed Joe Forkey
. . . — Map (db m47536) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The War of 1812
Halsey's Corners. 250 American soldiers plus militia met 4,000 British troops in bloody battle here on Sept. 6, 1814. — Map (db m107390) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Thomas Benedict IV
Thomas Benedict IV homestead - Hdqrs. Maj. Gen. de Rottenburg British occupation forces 1814 — Map (db m106159) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Thomas Macdonough Memorial Monument
Thomas Macdonough Monument This majestic memorial to the American naval victory at Plattsburgh in September 1814 was designed by John Russell Pope (1874-1937) and commands the park opposite Plattsburgh City Hall, also designed by Pope. . . . — Map (db m110126) HM WM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Trinity Episcopal Church - 1830

Plattsburgh's oldest public building. Reverend John Henry Hopkins, who authored the hymn We Three Kings was the rector here from 1872-1877.

Le plus ancien batiment publique de Plattsburgh. Ce fut le Reverend John Henry Hopkins . . . — Map (db m115224) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Trinity Square - 1803

This former swamp became horse stalls before the War of 1812. Hay-weighing scales were located on the east end.

Cet ancien marecage devint une ecurie avant la guerre de 1812. Les balances de foin etaient situees a l'extremite . . . — Map (db m115223) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Troop Barracks
This structure was the first of three barracks built between 1893 - 1897. Each housed one infantry battalion of 320 men. This barracks was first occupied in June 1894 by companies D, F and G of the 21st Infantry Regiment transferred from Fort . . . — Map (db m47380) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — U.S. Fort Brown
1 of 3 forts built Aug. 1814 by Gen. Macomb & successfully defended against British assault in the Sept. 11, 1814 Land Battle of Plattsburgh. City of Plattsburgh, Clinton Co.Map (db m46926) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — War Memorial

Erected by the Clinton County Gold Star Mothers in Memory of Their Sons Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in World Wars I and II

[Roll of Honored Dead]

[Added panels for other wars?] — Map (db m115225) WM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — War of 1812 Trail
Commemorates British and American Navy and troops who fought on land and lake Battle of Plattsburgh September 11, 1814 — Map (db m76384) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Zephaniah Platt Home
Site of home Zephaniah Platt 1735 - 1807 Founder of Plattsburgh Built in 1799 — Map (db m47945) HM
New York (Clinton County), Rouses Point — David Mayo's Sail Ferry
Near Site of David Mayo's sail ferry, 1805. Crossed Lake Champlain from the foot of Champlain St. to Windmill Point, Alburgh, VT. — Map (db m108104) HM
New York (Clinton County), Rouses Point — Fort Montgomery
Named for Amer. Gen. Richard Montgomery, Rev. War Hero killed at Quebec 1775. This fort begun 1844. Armaments removed 1900. — Map (db m49070) HM
New York (Clinton County), Rouses Point — Site of First School House1816
Built of stone from Fort Blunder was house of worship for Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterians — Map (db m74435) HM
New York (Clinton County), Saranac — Caldwell Mine Site
Caldwell Mine Site--1841. Supplied ore to forges along river & to Standish. Bowen-Williams operated 1863. 1871--A. Williams & C.O.&I. — Map (db m108144) HM
New York (Clinton County), Saranac — Saranac Iron Works
Saranac Iron Works. Catalan Forge--rolling mill. First forge on the River--1826. Baker-Hull-Hopper--World's best quality iron used in Civil War ironclads. Bowen-Signor closed 1887. — Map (db m108145) HM
New York (Clinton County), Sciota — Ober's Corners
1815 Ober's Corners (now Sciota) settled by Joseph & Mary (Wallingford) Over from Massachusetts. Ober built three mills. — Map (db m106324) HM
New York (Clinton County), Standish — Catalan Forge Furnace - 1881
Catalan Forge Furnace - 1881 Standish (Williamstown) made brick-like blooms from one of Saranac River Mines 1886 - Replaced by blast furnace & ore from Lyon Mt. — Map (db m57311) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Peru — Battle of Valcour
11 October 1776. Across this strait a small colonial fleet fought the British to a standstill causing a 3 day running conflict that delayed the British advance to divide the colonies. This action allowed time for the Americans to rebuild their . . . — Map (db m108649) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Peru — Port Jackson
Est. by Robt. Platt ca. 1820 This busy Lake Champlain port was an important transportation hub for both people and goods during the 1800's. — Map (db m108681) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Peru — Robert Platt Home
Robt. Platt, Mem. NYS Assembly 1814-15, built this home in 1809 on 700 acres given by his father, Zephaniah, founder of Plattsburgh. — Map (db m108682) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Peru — To Site of Peru Blockhouse
One of five erected in northern New York in 1794 as a refuge for settlers from Indian attacks. — Map (db m108683) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Blast Furnace
Erected in 1809 by Alfred Keith. First on Lake Champlain in northern NY State. Operated by Keith 1809-1822, Jacob Sax 1822 until destroyed by the flood of 1830. — Map (db m108644) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Catholic Summer School
Catholic Summer School of America 1896-1941 on this site. Resort and educational campus with cottages, chapel, dining hall, auditorium & post office. — Map (db m106622) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Friswell Patent
2000 acres settled in 1766 by William Gilliland (1734-1796) first named Janesborough, later Port Gilliland. A port for lake shipped goods c. 1820-1900. — Map (db m108643) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Gilliland Cemetery
First burials were in 1810. Cemetery ground donated by Henry and Abigail Gilliland to the Port Gilliland community in 1848. — Map (db m108642) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Gilliland Homestead
House and barn erected in 1809 by William Gilliland, Jr. (1768-1847). 1814 American militia encampment prior to Battle of Plattsburgh. Barn became the Royal Savage Inn 1918 - 2002. — Map (db m47372) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Pike's Cantonment
A War of 1812 military camp stood to the west of this marker. Many occupants died defending Plattsburgh and lie buried not far from here. — Map (db m106841) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Possession House
Site of first home raised by a European settler in the Town of Plattsburgh and Clinton County. Erected September 10-13, 1766 by William Gilliland (1734-1796). — Map (db m108645) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Sax House
Erected c. 1820 by Jacob Sax. Sax family home c. 1820-1832, William Gilliland III (1812-1886) family 1845-1880, Day family 1881-1958. — Map (db m108646) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Sheldon-Hagar Homestead
Barn used by British forces to house mules, 1814 — Map (db m107389) HM
New York (Clinton County), West Chazy — Benedict Arnold
1776. Benedict Arnold for twelve September days opposite Chazy readied his fleet and planned his strategy for the Battle of Valcour. — Map (db m106264) HM
New York (Clinton County), West Chazy — Benjamin Franklin
1776. Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Chase & Charles Carroll of Carrollton paused near here April 26 en route to Montreal as Delegates of Congress. — Map (db m106115) HM
New York (Clinton County), West Chazy — R.R. Station
C. 1852 Plattsburgh-Montreal R.R. Station Built c. 1852 as Chazy 1876 became West Chazy Second station built 1905-07 — Map (db m106300) HM

81 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.