Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Harford County Maryland Historical Markers

 
Close up of the map on the "O! say can you see..." Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, January 30, 2015
Close up of the map on the "O! say can you see..." Marker
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — "O! say can you see..."Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail traces the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake. Along the trail you'll encounter tangible evidence of the war and stories that bring the people and events to life. Discover the far-reaching impacts of the . . . — Map (db m80609) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — ENIAC
The first large-scale, general-purpose electronic digital computer, ENIAC (electronic numerical integrator and computer) was delivered to the U.S. Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory (BRL), Aberdeen Proving Ground, in 1947. Built by . . . — Map (db m5434) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — 2008 Restoration of P.B. & W. Railroad Crossing and Later Pennsylvania Railroad Watchman's Shed
Some 100 or 150 years ago, the watchman was protected from the weather by the shed that sat at the post road crossing of the north/southeast coast Washington to New York Highway, later known as route 7. When the crossing was closed the small . . . — Map (db m71992) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — Aberdeen Proving Ground Four Miles
Military reservation of 55000 acres of land and water. The Ordinance Department, U. S. Army operates here; the Army Proving Ground for Arms, Ammunition and Automotive Equipment; the Ballistic Research Laboratory; the Ordinance School. Established . . . — Map (db m1260) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — Aberdeen Veterans Memorial
Dedicated May 30, 1975 In honor of all who serve honorably in the military forces of their country in wars declared or undeclared Erected by American Legion Post 128 Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10028 Catholic War Veterans Post . . . — Map (db m68574) WM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — Colony Of Maryland1634–1776
Maryland founded as a Proprietary Colony by Lord Baltimore, March 25, 1634. Religious toleration established by Act of Assembly, 1649. Mason-Dixon Line surveyed 1763-1767. The British Stamp Act repudiated, 1765. "Peggy Stewart" Tea Party, . . . — Map (db m21) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — Explore the ChesapeakeCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
Explore the landscapes of the early 1600s along the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail. Learn about the thriving American Indian communities John Smith encountered and imagine the bountiful Chesapeake he observed. Experience the . . . — Map (db m80611) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — Hall’s Cross Roads
At intersection of Old Post Road (established 1666) and Bush Neck Road (1670) were a tavern and relay point for stagecoaches in 18th Century. In 1835 nearby stop on Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad was named for Aberdeen, Scotland, . . . — Map (db m1258) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — Old Post RoadSpesutia P. E. Church — Established 1666
Old Post Road Established 1666. Founded in 1671. First church erected at Gravelly near Michaelsville. The three succeeding churches erected on the present location. One mile south of this point, colonial vestry house erected 1766. — Map (db m1264) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — Spesutia ChurchSt. George’s Parish — Episcopal
Founded in 1671 at Gravelly, where original wooden structure no longer stands (about 2 miles southeast, on Aberdeen Proving Ground). Parish moved here in 1718. Present church, erected in 1851, is third on this site. Brick Vestry House here dates . . . — Map (db m1263) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — State Of Maryland1776–1964
General Washington resigned his commission at Annapolis, December 23, 1783. American Revolution officially ended by Congress meeting in Annapolis, January 14, 1783. District of Columbia given to Nation, 1791. Francis Scott Key wrote "The . . . — Map (db m25) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — This is a Section of “The General’s Highway”
Route of General Washington’s trimphant journey, December 2-23, 1783, New York to Annapolis, to resign as Commander-In-Chief of the first American Army. Originally erected 1932 by Dorsey Chapter N.S.D.A.R. to commemorate George Washington . . . — Map (db m1267) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen Proving Grounds — Spesutia Island
The name is derived from the Latin for Utie's Hope, a 2,300-acre manorial grant in 1661 to Col. Nathaniel Utie, for whom this island was surveyed in 1658. Settling here from Virginia, Utie traded with the Indians, became a member of the Maryland . . . — Map (db m4707) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — “Constant Friendship”
Acquired 1761 by Colonel Thomas White (1704–1779). Largest colonial landowner in this part of Maryland. Deputy Surveyor-General of Baltimore (then including Harford) County. Father of Bishop William White, first presiding Bishop of the . . . — Map (db m1281) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — “The Bush Declaration”Harford Town
County Seat of Harford County from its origin March 1774, until March, 1783. Here the first Declaration of Independence ever adopted by an organized body of men duly elected by the people was proclaimed on March 22, 1775. — Map (db m1246) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — Captain John Smith
Captain John Smith in 1608 ascended this river to this point. On his map he called it after his home in England “Willowbyes Flu” or river. Now Bush River. — Map (db m1229) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — Gov. William PacaOld Post Road — Established 1666
Signer of the Declaration of Independence. Born October 31, 1740 on Chilberry Hall Farm 1¼ miles south of here. Died October 27, 1799. — Map (db m1249) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — Harford Town, or Bush
The French Troops of Count de Rochambeau in five divisions camped here at the end of August 1782—the 22nd camp on the return march from the Yorktown victory to the north. — Map (db m1248) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — Old Post Road: Cokesbury College
Old Post Road Established 1666. The first Methodist college in the world established at Abingdon June 5, 1785 by Bishops Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury. Destroyed by fire December 4, 1796, located 175 yards east of this point. — Map (db m1233) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — Site of “Old Baltimore”
The first County Seat of Baltimore County, 1659 to 1700, was located on Bush River. In 1683 it was made a Port of Entry by the Maryland Assembly. — Map (db m1230) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — This Tablet
This tablet marks the site of the building in which were held the Courts of Harford County from its organization in March 1774 until March 1783. In this house the Committee of Harford County held its meetings before and during the early years of . . . — Map (db m1251) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — "The Door"
The open door symbolizes the heritage of religious freedom granted to the colonial citizens of Maryland by Cecil Calvert, the second Lord Baltimore in 1657. His belief is such freedom inspired Maryland to become the first colony to create a . . . — Map (db m66485) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Bel AirCounty Seat of Harford County — Established 1783
Court House erected 1791. Burned and re-erected 1858. Enlarged 1904. Portraits of notable men born in Harford adorn court room, including Edwin Booth, who gave his first theatrical performance there. — Map (db m1225) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Bel AirSouthern Sympathizers Sought
On July 31, 1861, 300 men from the 12th Pennsylvania Infantry under Capt. Daniel Leasure marched into Bel Air to arrest Southern sympathizers and confiscate weapons from local militia units. The troops halted at the courthouse square, then dispersed . . . — Map (db m1227) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Built 1898 Liriodendron
A palladian-style summer home built for Dr. & Mrs. Howard A. Kelly. Now a multi-use historical cultural and educational center for Harford County. ← — Map (db m3885) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Daybreak by Richard Goldsborough Brink
Commemorating the local history of the Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad that traveled along this path connecting with the Spenceola Cannery

Commissioned by The Harford County Cultural Arts Board

Funded through "Public Art Project Grant" . . . — Map (db m96734) HM

Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Heavenly Waters Cemetery
These crosses represent a small fraction of the people buried in this field. From the mid - 1800's through 1973, Harford County's poor, unknown and unwanted were laid to rest here.

May they rest in peace. — Map (db m117078) HM

Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Historic Bel Air
Marker features an aerial view and 11 photos.

Aerial Photo 13 Aerial photograph of Bel Air taken in 1964 showing the location of the old racetrack, construction of the bypass and John Carroll. MD Route 24 and the Harford Mall are not yet . . . — Map (db m104816) HM

Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Historic Bel Air
Walking Tour North (60 min) 1. Bel Air Methodist Episcopal Church, 20 North Main Street
Map (db m104847) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — In Grateful Recognition
In Grateful Recognition of Those Men and Women From Harford County Who Gave Their Lives in the Wartime Service of Their Country

World War I Cpl Maurice L. Abbott • Pvt. James Alley • Pvt Everett F. Asher • Pvt Okey R. Chenoweth • Prv. . . . — Map (db m101857) WM

Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Ma & Pa Heritage Trail
The Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad was established in 1901. The route meandered 77 miles over 111 bridges and through 58 stations to connect Baltimore, MD and York, PA. The trail carried passengers and freight including slate products, coal, . . . — Map (db m96738) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Ma & Pa Heritage Trail
In 1994, Harford County Department of Parks & Recreation helped to found the MA & PA Heritage Trail, Inc. to revitalize the former Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad into a pedestrian greenway that will ultimately stretch from Fallston to Forest Hill. — Map (db m96741) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — MA & PA Heritage Trail
The History of the MA & PA Trail The MA & PA Railroad stretched between Baltimore at North Avenue & Howard Streets, on to Towson, through Long Green Valley into Harford County. It ended at Market Street in York, Pennsylvania. Even by the . . . — Map (db m104553) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Ma & Pa Railroad
At the very spot where you're standing, Harford County's past and present converge in an exciting way! The Ma and Pa Railroad, which is short for Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad, was at one time an integral part of Harford County's transportation . . . — Map (db m97824) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad
The 77.2 mile route of the Ma & Pa ran from Baltimore to York. While significantly longer than other railroads, the Ma & Pa passed through the center of Harford County. This is the reason why it is often referred to as "Harford County's Railroad." . . . — Map (db m96731) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Medical HallTwo miles north of this point
Birthplace and home of Dr. John Archer, 1741-1810. First gradate of medicine in America, signer of the Bush Declaration March 22, 1775. Member of Congress 1802. One of the founder of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland. Father of five . . . — Map (db m1236) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Sacred to the Memory of the Men of Harford County
Sacred to the memory of the men of Harford County who made the supreme sacrifice during the World War.

Corporal Maurice L. Abbott Dec. 18th, 1918 • Private James Alley Jul. 18th, 1918 • Private Everett Fred Asbury Nov. 10th, 1918 • Sergeant . . . — Map (db m2643) WM

Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Saint Ignatius ChurchHickory, Maryland
Oldest Roman Catholic Church in continuous use in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. Completed in 1792 by Sylvester Boarman, S.J., while in charge of the nearby Jesuit Mansion of St. Joseph at Priest’s Ford. Early pastors of the church served Charles . . . — Map (db m1254) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — The Hays HouseBuilt 1788
One of the earliest buildings in Bel Air. Enlarged in 1814 by Thomas A. Hays (1780–1861), an attorney, landowner and entrepreneur. Moved to present location in 1960. Retains original interior features and woodwork, weatherboard and shutters. — Map (db m1222) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Tudor Hall
The home of the noted actor Junius Brutus Booth, the elder. Birthplace of his children. His son Edwin Booth was born here November 13, 1833. — Map (db m1216) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Belcamp — Sophia’s Dairy(Probably Sophia’s Dowry)
Left by Captain Hall of Cranberry in 1737 to his daughter Sophia, who married Colonel Thomas White, father of Bishop William White of Philadelphia, Mrs. Robert Morris and Sophia, who married Aquilla Hall. He built this house in 1768, one of the . . . — Map (db m1261) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Churchville — Calvary United Methodist Church
Established in 1821 by Richard Webster and in continuous use, the Calvary United Methodist Church is a rare example of an early Methodist Meeting House. It is constructed of stone from a local quarry and retains its original floor plan, including a . . . — Map (db m1490) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Churchville — Church of the Holy Trinity
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Property by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m68412) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Churchville — Churchville
Formerly called “Lower Cross Roads.” Council of Safety met here 5 April 1775. Considered as site for county seat 1781. George Washington passed 6 May 1775 on way to be made Commander-in-Chief of Army. Lafayette and . . . — Map (db m1243) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Churchville — Churchville Presbyterian Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m64909) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Darlington — Berkley Crossroads
A hamlet settled in the late eighteenth century by free blacks and whites. The Hosanna School built in 1867, was Harford County's first public school for African Americans. Travelers, local farms, and industries such as milling, mining, quarrying, . . . — Map (db m79470) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Darlington — Conowingo
An Indian name meaning “at the falls.” Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehanna River in 1608, to the head of tidewater. He named the first rapids “Smiths Falls.” — Map (db m1240) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Darlington — Keziah's Diary
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior 1810 — Map (db m94509) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Darlington — Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House
Had Lafayette failed in quelling the mutiny of his troops here on Friday, April 13, 1781, the Battle of Yorktown might never have been fought. — Map (db m1286) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Fallston — Annie McGann Cumpston1/7/97 - 3/23/03
Annie was a six year old child who was killed by a drunk driver while crossing the street with her family as they left the Circus. She was known as "Momma Annie" since she always cared for others before herself. Annie loved everyone and everyone . . . — Map (db m13263) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — "O! say can you see..."Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail traces the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake. Along the trail you'll encounter tangible evidence of the war and stories that bring the people and events to life. Discover the far-reaching impacts of . . . — Map (db m59829) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — A Crucial ConnectionWetlands are the vital link between land and water.
Wetlands are a beautiful place to visit. Brightly colored flowers and a variety of birds are just some of the wonderful things to see in a wetland. water rushes off the land in a storm. When the water reaches the wetlands, plants help to slow the . . . — Map (db m9696) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — A Perfect Location
Prior to roads and rails, water was the most significant transportation mode in the growth of our nation's emerging economy. Situated at the juncture of the Susquehanna River and the Chesapeake Bay, the town of Havre de Grace grew and prospered. . . . — Map (db m9699) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Alfred B. HiltonMedal of Honor Recipient
After the Emancipation Proclamation was issued in 1863, the U.S. Army recruited both free blacks and slaves. In August 1863, freedman Alfred B. Hilton and his brothers Aaron and Henry enlisted in the 4th U.S. Colored Troops (USCT) in Havre de Grace. . . . — Map (db m92020) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Alfred B. Hilton Memorial Park
Alfred Hilton lived at his father's farm on Gravel Hill Road until August 1863, when he enlisted in Company H., 4th United States Colored Troops. He fought with distinction in several engagements in Virginia. As the national Color Sergeant, he was . . . — Map (db m101718) HM WM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — America's 25th Earth Day
On this site President William J. Clinton and Vice President Albert Gore, Jr. delivered addresses in celebration of America's 25th Earth Day April 21, 1995 — Map (db m8186) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Attack at FrenchtownStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Frenchtown, on the Elk River, was struck on the morning of April 29, 1813. Rear Admiral Cockburn attempted a surprise attack and was greeted with a barrage from the town's battery. The guns had little effect and the British landed and burned the . . . — Map (db m64176) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Birds by the Bay
Herons, ducks, and geese gather along the shores and on the waters of the Chesapeake Bay. A Great Blue Heron has caught a fish to eat. Who is this? Domesticated geese are not native to this area. They are from Europe and Asia. The geese probably . . . — Map (db m9695) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — British LandingStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The town's defenders -- numbering about 20 -- failed to prevent some 400 British troops from coming ashore May 3, 1813. A gun battery, probably located north of where the lighthouse now stands, was manned single-handedly by John . . . — Map (db m69226) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Capt. Anthony J. Synodinos & 1st Lt. Edward G. Conrad,Civil Air Patrol
In memory of Capt. Anthony J. Synodinos, CAP Chaplain (1 Lt.) Edward G. Conrad, CAP They died April 6, 1954, in an airplane crash off this point while performing a search and rescue mission. Service like theirs with thoughts more for . . . — Map (db m36897) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Concord Point LighthouseHavre de Grace, Md.
Erected at the mouth of the Susquehanna River in 1827, it is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation in the United States. Now under automatic control, it was manned by the O’Neill Family until 1928. John O’Neill was named as the first . . . — Map (db m1485) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Dangerous Waters
On the point where the mighty Susquehanna River meets the Chesapeake Bay stands the lighthouse that protected vessels from dangerous waters for 148 years. Built in 1827 to protect vessels from dangerous shoals and currents at the mouth of the . . . — Map (db m1488) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Deer Creek Harmony Presbyterian Church
This property has been place on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior circa 1870 — Map (db m95651) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Enjoy the Havre de Grace Promenade
Stroll along our boardwalk, stop and listen to the ducks splashing in the water, feel the bay breeze on your cheek, and search the horizon for boats drifting on the water. — Map (db m9705) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Gold Star Families Memorial Monument
The monument is in tribute to and honors families who lost one or more loved ones serving in the Armed Forces of the United States.

The first panel depicts their homeland Harford County and Havre de Grace Maryland of the United States of . . . — Map (db m119075) WM

Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Havre de GraceWar of 1812
Here on the morning of May 3, 1813, British Forces under Admiral Cockburn landed, sacked, and burned the town. The principal defenses were two small batteries on Concord Point. The “Potato Battery” on high ground was manned to the last . . . — Map (db m1273) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Havre de Grace Racetrack
In operation from 1912 to 1950 and nicknamed “The Graw.” The Harford Agricultural and Breeders Association racetrack was one of four one-mile thoroughbred racecouses in Maryland and reflected Harford County’s status as a breeding center . . . — Map (db m1269) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Havre de Grace War MemorialMillard E. Tydings Memorial Park
1917 * This Memorial * 1918 erected by the citizens of Havre-de-Grace as an expression of gratitude to those of this community who served their country in the Great World War. *Honor Roll* Lieut. Col. M. E. Tydings * Capt. Ira . . . — Map (db m39557) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Hero's RewardStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
John O'Neill led a futile defense when British raiders attacked Havre de Grace May 3, 1812. As other defenders fled, O'Neill briefly manned a cannon alone. His courage earned O'Neill a presidential appointment as first keeper of the Concord Point . . . — Map (db m69182) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Home BaseStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Five days before the 1813 attack on Havre de Grace, British ships anchored at Spesutia Island, just south of here. Island residents were "greatly terrified" upon their arrival, but were assured they would not be harmed. The Royal Navy used the . . . — Map (db m64165) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Home of RefugeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
As the British savagely burned the buildings in Havre de Grace during their morning attack May 3, 1813, the townspeople ran west for protection to a home that stood near this location. The home, known as Bloomsbury, was owned by Baltimore . . . — Map (db m80342) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — How a Lock Works
Instead of following the slope of the land, as rivers and streams do, a canal periodically takes a vertical step between long stretches of flat water. Locks were constructed at each vertical step to accomplish moving barges up and down between each . . . — Map (db m1493) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Invasion at DawnStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The British fleet approached Havre de Grace at dawn on the morning of May 3, 1813 in small launches. Rear Admiral Cockburn favored attacking towns at first light. Havre de Grace residents awoke to the terrifying sounds of bombs exploding and rockets . . . — Map (db m64167) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — John O'Neill
This cannon of the War of 1812 marks the site of the battery on Concord Point where John O'Neill 1769-1838 served the guns single handed during the British attack upon Havre de Grace May 3, 1813 until disabled and captured. He was . . . — Map (db m8182) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Keeper of the Light
Each night he left his house to climb the 27 stairs and 6 rung iron ladder to the top of the lighthouse. And he did this three times a night to refill the oil that kept the light burning and the ships safe. This is the house of the . . . — Map (db m1777) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway
Ribbons of green along our shores... The Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway connects natural and historical areas along both shores of the Susquehanna River. Havre de Grace is located on the southwest end of this greenway. Discover Havre . . . — Map (db m9704) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Lure of the Chesapeake
Canvasback ducks float quietly on the water The hunter waits Flocks of ducks appear in the sky, cup their wings and drop down to the waiting canvasbacks The hunter's ploy has worked For it was not real canvasbacks that lured the ducks but well . . . — Map (db m9694) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Luxury on the Bay
Listen, and you can almost hear the jazz music and smell the roasting duck. Edward F. Piersol conceived the idea for the Bayou Hotel and was the first owner. The hotel, considered lavish for a small town was built with field stone from Harford . . . — Map (db m9693) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Matilda O'Neill Home
During the War of 1812, the British sailed up the Chesapeake Bay. After laying siege to Washington, D.C. and burning the White Housee, and having been held at bay by the patriots in Baltimore, they proceeded to Havre de Grace. Most of the residents . . . — Map (db m25562) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Nineteenth Century TravelStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Travelers on the Post Road, the main route of north/south travel, passed through Havre de Grace and crossed the Susquehanna River on a ferry to Perryville. The ferry was chartered in 1695 and remained in use until the first railroad bridge was built . . . — Map (db m64140) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — No RespectStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
St. John's Episcopal Church survived the British attack on Havre de Grace May 3, 1813. The enemy spared the 1809 structure but damaged the interior. According to a newspaper account: "Finding nothing to steal (the raiders) 'magnanimously' . . . — Map (db m69194) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Old Post Road: Count Rochambeau’s Troops
Old Post Road Established 1666. Count Rochambeau’s troops camped here September 9, 1781 after having crossed the Susquehanna River on their way to the siege of Yorktown, Va. — Map (db m1271) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Old Post Road: Susquehanna Lower Ferry
Old Post Road Established 1666. Public Ferry ordered established by the Council of Maryland 1695 for travel between north and south. General Washington and many notable men used this ferry, also, the Continental Army and soldiers of War Between . . . — Map (db m1275) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Out of the FlamesStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Rodgers House miraculously survived the 1813 burning of Havre de Grace. Dating from 1788, this is the town's oldest documented structure. John and Elizabeth Rodgers, parents of U.S. Naval hero John Rodgers, operated a tavern here. They also . . . — Map (db m64144) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — President William J. Clinton
On this site President William J. Clinton and Vice President Albert Gore, Jr. delivered addresses in celebration of America's 25th Earth Day April 21, 1995 — Map (db m9702) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Principio DestroyedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
A target of the British during the War of 1812, Principio Iron Foundry was destroyed on May 3, 1813. the foundry, located on the Northeast River was owned by Samuel Hughes and had a contract with the U.S. Navy. In this raid Hughes' losses included . . . — Map (db m64177) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Prospect School
A hexagonal fieldstone structure built ca. 1850 by local stone mason Joshua W. Stevens, the Prospect School served grades one through eight until 1930. Polygonal buildings - more typically octagons - were promoted in the mid 19th century for their . . . — Map (db m52649) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — River CrossingStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Little evidence remains of what was once the northernmost navigable deep-water port on the Susquehanna River. The “Upper Ferry” crossed between here and Port Deposit.

When the British attacked May 3, 1813, they helped themselves to a . . . — Map (db m80344) HM

Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Rochambeau Plaza
Named for the French General whose troops passed through here in 1781 en route to Yorktown. Records of the French Army noted plans were underway for a town at this place when the troops returned from Yorktown in 1782. — Map (db m1274) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Rock Run
Rock Run House, the home of Brigadier-General James J. Archer, who resigned from the United States Army to join the Confederacy. Wounded and captured at Gettysburg July 1, 1863, General Archer died in Richmond October 24, 1864, shortly after his . . . — Map (db m1242) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Rock Run Landing
Part of “Land of Promise” tract. Original mill (1760), present grist mill (1794), first Susquehanna River Bridge (1818) and Barge Canal (1839) made through this hamlet a thriving commercial center. Surviving are Miller’s House, the Mill, . . . — Map (db m1241) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Rock Run Mill
The Rock Run Mill was built in 1794 by John Stump, a prominent businessman, on land originally known as “Land of Promise.” The mill was in continuous operation until 1954. It is one of the oldest mills still standing in Harford County. . . . — Map (db m1295) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Screaming RocketsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On the morning of May 3, 1813, the British came ashore at several points and set to work plundering and burning the town. they used Congreve rockets, which made horrible whizzing and popping sounds, to create chaos and terror. The British . . . — Map (db m64209) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — State of ReadinessStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
During the War of 1812, Havre de Grace was a fishing village, but also played host to many travelers. The Post Road, the main route of land travel in the day, came through town, and travelers used the local ferry at the north end of town to cross . . . — Map (db m64166) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Surprise AttackStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Cannon and rocket fire shook residents of Havre de Grace from their sleep as the British attacked at dawn May 3, 1813. An eyewitness reported: "Distressed people, women and children half naked" ran from their homes. The local militia fled, . . . — Map (db m59832) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Susquehanna Lower FerryStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The taverns and the ferry made Havre de Grace, originally called Susquehanna Lower Ferry, a successful town in the early 19th century. People arrived via the Post Road, the major route of north/south travel in the day, and crossed the Susquehanna . . . — Map (db m64141) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Susquehanna River Crossing
Beginning in 1838,the cars of the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad were carried across the Susquehanna River by the first railroad ferry in the U.S. A rail bridge replaced the ferry in 1866. The surviving granite piers carried the . . . — Map (db m79601) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Susquehanna River/Chesapeake Bay
. . . — Map (db m9703) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Concord Point Light Keeper’s House and Property
1827-1920. Constructed by John Donahoo of Havre de Grace, Builder of Twelve Maryland Light Houses. The house and property were sold by the U.S. Government in April 1920 as the light had been automated and a resident keeper was no longer . . . — Map (db m1489) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Lafayette Trail
This three-mile trail begins here at the Susquehanna Museum at the Lock House and winds through the historic district. As you follow the fleur-de-lis trail marker, you will travel by our museums and over 800 historic structures within the old town . . . — Map (db m104475) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Lock House
The Lock House is located at the southern terminus of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal, which operated from 1840-1897. The canal was pivotal in the development of the Lower Susquehanna River Valley. It connected with the Pennsylvania Canal at . . . — Map (db m1492) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal
The 45-mile long Susquehanna (PA) and Tidewater (MD) Canal ran from Wrightsville, Pennsylvania to Havre de Grace, Maryland. The canal was built between 1835 and 1839 in order to improve commerce on the Susquehanna River. The new canal would connect . . . — Map (db m1494) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Under AttackStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The British under Rear Admiral George Cockburn attacked Havre de Grace on May 3, 1813. They went from house to house, burning and confiscating belongings along the way. Beds were ripped apart, and furniture and clothing were ruined. "The hills . . . — Map (db m64142) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — War in the ChesapeakeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
During the War of 1812 the young United States was embroiled in conflict with Great Britain. From 1812 to 1815 Americans fought to protect their rights and economic independence. They faced superior enemy forces on the homefront and the high . . . — Map (db m59827) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Welcome to Our Wetland Home
Along the shores of the Chesapeake Bay wetlands provide a home for many different animals. Listen...Look...can you find the animals that call this special place home? Look Up! Can you find the snake? Black rat snakes are skilled . . . — Map (db m9701) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Jarrettsville — Harford County Sheriff's Office
Dedicated to those who serve Courage Honor and Integrity in the Pursuit of Justice In Memoriam Frank Bateman 06-10-1899 DFC William H. Beebe 11-28-2006 — Map (db m5848) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Jarrettsville — King and Queen Seat
The King and Queen Seat to your right is a natural 190-foot rock outcrop that overlooks Deer Creek Valley. This cliff towers directly above Deer Creek and affords a spectacular view of the rolling hills and farmland of Harford County During the . . . — Map (db m79731) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Jerusalem Mills — Harry Gilmor's Raid"Great excitement in... Harford County," July 11, 1864
What caused the “great excitement” in Harford County during the summer of 1864? It was the arrival of a detachment of the Confederate cavalrymen led by partisan Major Harry Gilmor. He and his trooper, mostly Marylanders, were part of a . . . — Map (db m76608) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Joppatowne — “Olney”
Surveyed as “Prospect ye 29th August 1705 for Thomas Preston.” Named changed to “Olney” in 1810 by Mrs. John Norris, an admirer of Cowper, the poet, and his friend the Reverend John Newton, who lived at Olney, England. — Map (db m1257) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Joppatowne — Gilmor's RaidBurning the Gunpowder River Bridge
On July 6, 1864, Confederate cavalryman cross the Potomac River into Maryland as part of a 12,000 man force under Gen. Jubal A. Early, who planned to attack lightly defended Washington, DC., and draw off part of the Union army menacing Richmond and . . . — Map (db m73766) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Joppatowne — Harry Gilmor’s Raid
On July 10, 1864, Major Harry Gilmor’s Confederate cavalry camped in this building (an old stage coach headquarters) on his way to burn the Pennsylvania R. R. bridge across the Gunpowder, where he captured General W. B. Franklin. — Map (db m1252) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Joppatowne — Joppa Town
→ 2 Miles → County seat of Baltimore County from 1712 to 1768. Once a rival of Baltimore, an important point for shipping tobacco and a Port of Entry. Benjamin Rumsey, first Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals lived here. — Map (db m1232) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Joppatowne — Rumsey Mansion
The colonial home of Benjamin Rumsey, influential landowner and member of the First Continental Congress. Erected in 1720-24 with bricks imported from England. It remains an outstanding example of Colonial Georgian architecture. — Map (db m1231) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Kingsville — Jerusalem Mills
Established 1772 by David Lee a Quaker from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. A gun manufactory back of the mill furnished guns for the Revolution in 1776. The original tract called Jerusalem patented 1687. — Map (db m1253) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Monkton — Ladew Topiary Gardensand Pleasant Valley House
Henry Scarff acquired land here about 1747 and soon built a four-room house. Descendants added the three story center section by 1849. Harvey S. Ladew bought the house and property known as Pleasant Valley Farm from a Scarff descendant in 1929. . . . — Map (db m1522) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Norrisville — Crown Stone Mile 40
. . . — Map (db m94756) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Norrisville — Mason and Dixon Line 40th Mile Stone
Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary line surveyed and marked 1763-68 by two English astronomers, Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon. This is one of the "Crown" stones, set every five miles displaying the coat of arms of Lord Baltimore on south and Penns . . . — Map (db m113428) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Street — “Indian Spring”
Count de Rochambeau’s heavy artillery and baggage train camped near this point September 10, 1781. After fording the Susquehanna River at Bald Friar they proceeded to Bush to join the main troops. — Map (db m1283) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Street — Capt. Angus Greme
One of two officers in Lafayette’s Army who, according to tradition, were so struck with the view from here that they vowed to return after the Revolution. Greme did settle nearby with his family and in 1850 he was buried beside Trappe Church, then . . . — Map (db m1303) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Street — Joesting - Gorsuch House
Historic Joesting - Gorsuch House is an example of eighteenth and nineteenth century frame dwellings. Originally built in the late 1700s on property in Bel Air, the house was enlarged in the 1800s and was once part of an agricultural homestead that . . . — Map (db m100037) HM
Maryland (Harford County), White Hall — Black Horse Tavern
George Washington stayed here the night of June 5, 1773 on his way back to Mt. Vernon from Columbia College, New York, where he had left his step-son Jackie Custis. — Map (db m1408) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Whiteford — Peach Bottom Slate Region
A ridge of high quality slate running from southeastern Pennsylvania into Harford County, Maryland, was quarried on a limited scale as early as 1734. Production increased in the 1840s when the opening of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal offered a . . . — Map (db m1285) HM

122 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.