Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lee County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Auburn - Alabama Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim & Renda Carr, January 16, 2011
Auburn - Alabama Marker
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn - Alabama
Settled by Judge J. J. Harper and others from Harris County, Georgia, in 1836. This region was opened to settlement in 1836-37 by the removal of the Creek Indians to lands west of the Mississippi River. Erected by The Alabama . . . — Map (db m39830) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village"
Side 1 Auburn 1865~Present Only one house was built in the village in the decade after the Civil War, and though the state took over the bankrupt college in 1872, the institution received no state appropriation until 1883. . . . — Map (db m79947) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel
In 1836 Judge John Harper with 34 other Methodists from Harris County, Georgia settled here. They built a log structure on this site, the first church and school in Auburn. In 1856 church leaders inspired the Methodist Conference to open East . . . — Map (db m74442) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn UniversityAlabama’s Land-Grant University
This title given by Legislature in 1960 followed start of second century of growth in diverse services to state, nation. This act confirmed name “Auburn” used popularly from its founding by Methodists as East Alabama Male College in . . . — Map (db m39814) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn University Chapel
Side A: The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader . . . — Map (db m39831) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn WWI Memorial
In memory of The Auburn Men who gave their lives in the World War — Map (db m106948) WM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Baptist Hill
(Side 1) Auburn's first separate black community cemetery offers a rich source of the city’s black heritage. Much of the history is oral but it is known that a white man gave most of the land in the early 1870’s. The four acre cemetery . . . — Map (db m74453) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Cary HallBuilt 1940 — A Memorial to Dr. Charles Allen Cary (1861-1935)
(Side 1) Dr. Charles Cary, a native of Iowa and graduate of Iowa State in 1887, came to Auburn in 1892 and taught the first class of veterinary medicine at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He has been called the Father of Veterinary . . . — Map (db m74436) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Chewacla State Park(CCC)
Side 1 Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to . . . — Map (db m85164) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — City Hall
Side 1 In 1846, Auburn's founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original . . . — Map (db m79948) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Desegregation at Auburn
The first African American student entered the library to register at Auburn University at this site. Acting on a court order, Auburn president Ralph Brown Draughon accepted the application of Harold Franklin as the first African American student in . . . — Map (db m90861) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Dillard-Lawson House
Built by Auburn merchant A.L. Dillard in 1894, the home was once part of the old Scott Plantation. It was one of the first homes in Auburn to have an indoor bath and electricity. An unusual feature of the house is the gray stone, for which Dillard . . . — Map (db m74445) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Ebenezer Baptist ChurchBaptist Hill — East Thach Avenue
(Side 1) This simple frame structure was built by newly freed black men and women before 1870. The property on which the building stands was given to a member of the Ebenezer congregation in 1865, the year the War Between the States . . . — Map (db m74450) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Founders' Oak
This post oak started growth in 1850 and was 6 years old when East Alabama Male College was established. It was 33 years old when the Alabama Agricultural Station was established, 91 when the nation entered World War II, and over 100 when this site . . . — Map (db m74430) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — General James Henry Lane HouseWoman's Club of Auburn
The Lane House, built in 1853 at the corner of Thach and College Street, was home to several Auburn University notables, E. T. Glenn, Treasurer, leased it in 1873. Gen. James H. Lane, Aide to Gen. Stonewall Jackson and Head of Engineering, purchased . . . — Map (db m85165) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — J. F. Drake High School / Alma Mater
(Side 1) J. F. Drake High School J.F. Drake High School, formerly Lee County Training School, educated Black children of the community from 1958 to 1970. It bears the name of Dr. Joseph Fanning Drake. Drake consisted of 12 . . . — Map (db m74457) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Max Adams Morris / Max Adams Morris Drill Field
(Side 1) Max Adams Morris Max Adams Morris b. December 7, 1918, of Blountsville, Alabama, entered Alabama Polytechnic Institute (API) in 1938, was a varsity football player and became a member of "A" club, Scabbard & Blade, and . . . — Map (db m85166) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Noble Hall
Marker Front: The Greek Revival rock and mortar house was built by Addison Frazer (1809-1873) between 1852 and 1854 and served as the center for a 2,000 acre cotton plantation. Frazer owned 100 slaves and was on the Board of Trustees of . . . — Map (db m25988) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Pine Hill Cemetery
(Side 1) Pine Hill was established in 1837 and is the oldest cemetery in Auburn. Judge John J. Harper, Auburn's founder, donated almost six acres to the new town to be used as a community burying ground for white settlers and their . . . — Map (db m74474) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Robert Wilton Burton1848-1917
(Side 1) Near this site once stood "Four-Story Cottage," the home of Robert Wilton Burton. A one-story house with wide porch and bay window, Burton built it in 1885 with proceeds from the sale of four stories to children's magazines. Born . . . — Map (db m74440) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Scott-Yarbrough House
(Side 1) Colonel Nathaniel J. Scott, from Harris County Georgia, built this house, which he called Pebble Hill, on 100 acres in 1847. With its pyramidal roof and symmetrical lines, the frame house reflects the Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m74446) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Sigma Alpha Epsilon
The Alpha Mu chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on June 15, 1878 at the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama (now Auburn University). John E.D. Shipp came to Auburn as a student determined to organize a chapter at a time when . . . — Map (db m66726) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Crescent
Front The Crescent was an exclusive train of Southern Railway (SR) and Alabama affiliates, Western Railway of Alabama (WRA), Atlanta & West Point Railway (AWPR), and Louisville & Nashville Railway (LNR). Excepting SR, these . . . — Map (db m98305) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Auburn Guards
. . . — Map (db m106949) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis
At the Auburn train depot on February 16, 1861, Jefferson Davis reviewed the Auburn Guards, the first Confederate military company thus honored. Davis was en route to his inauguration as President of the Confederacy. The Auburn Guards were comprised . . . — Map (db m74455) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Baughman-Honour-Stiles House
Designed by William Dryden Baughman and built by Fred Burk in 1929, the house was not finished due to the Great Depression. Because of its two-story turret and French Norman Style, it became known as "The Castle." In 1949, the home was sold to . . . — Map (db m74443) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Bottle
Built in 1924 and billed as the "the world's largest bottle", The Bottle (also know as the "Twist Inn") was built by John F. Williams, owner of the Nehi Bottling Company in Opelika, Alabama. A wooden replica of a bright orange Nehi soda bottle, it . . . — Map (db m85167) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Cullars Rotation / The Alvis Field and Cotton Rust
Side 1 The Cullars Rotation The Cullars Rotation is the oldest, continuous soil fertility study in the South and the second oldest cotton study in the world. It was started in 1911 by the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station . . . — Map (db m74463) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Lathe
Built in Selma, Alabama, during the early part of the Civil War for the manufacture of military supplies for the Confederate Army. During the war an attempt was made to move it to Columbus, Georgia to prevent its being seized by Federal troops. En . . . — Map (db m39815) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Old Rotation
Established in 1896 by Professor J.F. Duggar, the Old Rotation at Auburn University is: (1) the oldest, continuous cotton experiment in the U.S.; and (2) the 3rd oldest continuous field crop experiment in the U.S.; and (3) the 1st experiment to . . . — Map (db m74429) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Toomers Corner And The Bank Of Auburn
This famous intersection, now known as Toomers Corner was named for businessman and State Senator Sheldon Toomer who founded the Bank of Auburn here in 1907. He served 45 years as bank President and 25 years on the Auburn City Council. Toomers . . . — Map (db m39813) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Wittel Dormitory
Wittel Dormitory has long been admired as one of Auburn’s most significant examples of classic nineteenth-century design. Built in the early 1900’s by Samuel S. Wittel to house professional women, it also served as a home for three generations of . . . — Map (db m66725) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Wright’s Mill
Side 1 A popular recreation area for more than 100 years. Original dam located a short distance below Chewacla Lake Dam. Mill located on the west bank and ground both corn and wheat. Earlier mill owners from 1840's were Echols, Hiram . . . — Map (db m85168) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Cusseta — Fort CussetaChambers County
Following the signing of the Creek Treaty in 1832, the early white settlers constructed a 16 by 30 foot hand hewn log fort for protection against a possible Indian uprising from Cussetaw Indian Village on Osanippa Creek just north of here. Walls of . . . — Map (db m71643) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — Boom and Change
Coming of the railroad from Montgomery in 1845 started a new era, with Loachapoka's name revived. It became the trade center for Waverly, Roxana, Rome, Camp Hill, Dudleyville, and Dadeville. Rousseau's Raiders hit Loachapoka at sun down, . . . — Map (db m31356) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — Dr. Alexandar Nunn / Lee County Historical Society
Side 1 Dr. Alexandar Nunn Dr. Nunn was born in Loachapoka on September 17, 1904. Beginning in 1924 he contributed to and edited the Progressive Farmer Magazine for 43 years. He helped to start Southern Living . . . — Map (db m73537) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — First Rosenwald School
Side 1 On this site once stood the first of over 5,300 Rosenwald schools for black children built between 1913 and 1932. The schools were started in a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears, Roebuck, and Company and Booker . . . — Map (db m73539) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — Loachapoka Historic District
One of the larger settlements of the Upper Creeks at the time of Indian removal to the west, 1835-1837. Their last council fire was held here before their forced migration to Oklahoma. Pioneer families began pouring in after 1836. Today's cemetery . . . — Map (db m85169) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — African-American Rosemere CemeteryLee County
Side 1 On February 9, 1876, the City of Opelika paid D.B. Preston $80 for two acres of land to establish an African-American section of Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area of the cemetery contains 176 blocks, with 16 being partial . . . — Map (db m75139) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Bean's Mill
Side 1 Here in 1897 the first iron bridge in Lee County was built. In 1903 George W. Bean bought the mill, operating it until his death in 1952. About 1910 Bean installed an iron overshot wheel to replace the old turbine. Later, the dam . . . — Map (db m73533) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Camp OpelikaWorld War II Prisoner of War Facility
Located on this 800 acre site was an enemy prisoner of war camp. Construction of Camp Opelika began in September 1942. The first prisoners, captured by the British, were part of General Erwin Rommel’s Africa Corps. The camp prisoner population was . . . — Map (db m85170) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Darden House
Dr. John Wesley Darden, was the first African American physician to treat patients within a 30-mile radius of Opelika. He built the Darden House in 1904, and later married Maude Jean Logan of Montgomery. Dr. and Mrs. Darden shaped many lives through . . . — Map (db m75131) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Organized in 1858, Trinity Mission was admitted to the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama on May 5, 1860. When the first church was consecrated on this site in 1862, it was renamed Emmanuel, meaning "God With Us." That building was destroyed by a tornado . . . — Map (db m75132) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — First United Methodist Church
Established as the first religious organization in the area in 1837 with 22 members as Lebanon Methodist Episcopal Church, around which the village of Opelika developed. Moved to present location in 1879 as Opelika Station, Montgomery District, . . . — Map (db m68097) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Killgore Scholarships / Some Terms of Scholarships
Side 1 Killgore Scholarships Here James A. Killgore (1888-1966) and his wife, Ophelia Parker, operated a grocery store from 1916 to 1944. The Killgores worked hard, practiced frugality, and invested money wisely, desiring to help . . . — Map (db m75123) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Lebanon Methodist Meeting House
Here in 1837 was Lebanon A Methodist meeting house around which grew up Opelika — Map (db m75149) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Lee County Courthouse / Lee County Probate Judges
(side a) Lee County Courthouse Lee County was created from portions of Russell, Macon, Chambers and Tallapoosa by act of the Alabama Legislature, approved December 5, 1866. The County’s first election was held January 21, 1867. . . . — Map (db m85171) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Lieutenant Colonel Dallas B. SmithMarch 9, 1883 - August 1, 1935
Dallas “Dal” Smith was a veteran of the First World War. During his time of service, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Purple Heart and a Regimental Citation. He commanded the 3rd Battalion of the 167th Regiment. After the . . . — Map (db m75133) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — New Rosemere CemeteryLee County
Side 1 The City of Opelika purchased 19.6 acres of land to expand Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area is the newest portion. There are 193 blocks with varying numbers of sections and spaces in each. 467 grave markers have death dates . . . — Map (db m75140) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Old Rosemere CemeteryLee County
Side 1 On July 23, 1869, the City of Opelika purchased ten acres of land for a cemetery from Dr. A.B. Bennett for $100 an acre. On November 23, 1869, he accepted his choice of a lot in exchange for the debt. The earliest marked grave is . . . — Map (db m85335) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Railroad Avenue Historic DistrictOpelika, Alabama
obverse The Railroad Avenue Historic District was the downtown nucleus of Opelika when the city was incorporated as part of Russell County, Alabama in February, 1854. The city limits extended a mile in every direction from the Montgomery . . . — Map (db m85336) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Rosseau's Raid to East Alabama
With orders from Gen. Sherman, Gen. Lovell Rousseau left Decatur with 2,700 cavalry, beginning his raid into East-Central Alabama. That raid ended successfully in Opelika July 19, 1864, after miles of track were destroyed along with other railroad . . . — Map (db m75126) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Salem Shotwell Covered Bridge
obverse This is the last surviving covered bridge in Lee County. It was constructed about 1900 by Otto Puls over Wacoochee Creek in the Town's lattice truss design. Materials used in the 75 foot long bridge included longleaf heart pine, . . . — Map (db m85337) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Shady Grove Christian Church
Organized November 15, 1846, as the Church of Christ at Shady Grove, under the New Covenant of 2nd Corinthians, 3rd chapter, agreeing to believe all the New Testament teaches, and to obey all its injunctions to the best of their capacity and submit . . . — Map (db m85338) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — South Railroad Avenue
The earliest buildings in the South Rail Road Avenue block between 9th and 10th Street were constructed by William O. Harwell around 1900 and were occupied by his agricultural supply store. His daughter, Alice Inez Harwell married Lum Duke who . . . — Map (db m84735) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Thompson ChapelAmerican Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
Organized c. 1872 by Rev. John Ford, Tom Isaiah, Julius Crockrum, Daniel Billingslea, Fannie Bryant, Charity Harris, Sarah Chambers and others, and named for presiding Bishop J. P. Thompson. This congregation first met in a house near the oil mill . . . — Map (db m75157) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Top Rock Millstone
This "Top Rock" Millstone was in a grist mill owned and operated by W.S.A. Bence on Sweetwater Creek in Clay County, AL 1919-1947 Donated by H.S. Bence — Map (db m75160) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Salem — Salem, AlabamaFounded 1835
Side A: Among the earliest settlers were the families of Henry Crowder, Dr. D. W. Floyd, Charles Nelms, W. W. Burt, George Heard, John Askew, Moses Pruitt, and Dr. McCoy. Rev. F. L. Cherry, leading historian of East Alabama’s first 50 . . . — Map (db m39832) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Smiths Station — Line 32° 28´ North Latitude
Northern Boundary of: British W. Florida 1764-83 Spanish W. Florida 1783-95 Mississippi Territory: 1798-1804 Washington County 1800-12 Clarke County 1812-15 Southern Boundary of: British Illinois 1764-83 United States . . . — Map (db m73532) HM

59 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement