The Atlanta public library was founded in 1873 by public spirited citizens who realized the importance of books. In 1973, the museum was added for the purpose of preserving Atlanta's heritage. In 1979, this octagonal structure was listed on the . . . — — Map (db m56326) HM
Near this site Abraham Lincoln christened the Town with the juice of a watermelon when the first lots were sold on August 27, 1853.
President-Elect Lincoln spoke here, November 21, 1860, while traveling to Chicago, and Lincoln's Funeral Train . . . — — Map (db m12347) HM
In Eternal Memory of those from Lincoln and Logan County who served their country in all her wars, and of their Gold Star Mothers and Widows, we dedicate this park. From these grounds those who served entrained to answer their Country’s call. . . . — — Map (db m12443) HM
On this site Dr. John Deskins erected a tavern in 1836. Abraham Lincoln, David Davis and other lawyers frequently stayed overnight here while the Eighth Judicial Circuit Court was in session at the Postville Court House. The judge, lawyers, . . . — — Map (db m56327) HM
On Abraham Lincoln's last birthday, February 12, 1865, ground was broken for Lincoln University, now Lincoln College. The town proprietors, Robert B. Latham, John D. Gillett and Virgil Hickox, donated the tract of land for the original campus, and . . . — — Map (db m105968) HM
The Lincoln Public Library is a fine example of public neo-classical construction. This W.A. Otis structure was completed in 1903. A stained glass dome and oak woodwork highlight the interior. Major benefactors were Steven Foley who guided its . . . — — Map (db m105969) HM
In the Spring of 1876 a gang of counterfeiters plotted to steal the body of Abraham Lincoln from the Tomb in Springfield, Illinois. Hoping to be paid a ransom of $200,000.00 and the release of one of their gang, Ben Boyd, their engraver, who was in . . . — — Map (db m12319) HM
Town Christening Site
On August 27, 1853 the first sale of lots in the new town of Lincoln took place near this spot. In attendance was Abraham Lincoln, in whose honor the town had been named. “Nothing with the name of Lincoln has . . . — — Map (db m12305) HM
On this site stood two former Logan County Courthouses in which Abraham Lincoln practiced law from 1856 to until elected President. During the March term, 1859, Lincoln substituted for David Davis as the presiding judge of the Logan County Circuit . . . — — Map (db m105970) HM
From 1839 to 1848 the seat of Logan County was Postville, which centered in the Court House located on this site. In this structure Abraham Lincoln, a member of the Traveling Bar of the Eighth Judicial Circuit, attended Court twice a year. — — Map (db m12185) HM
In 1835 Russell Post, a Baltimore adventurer, laid out the town of Postville which became the first Logan County seat. The town square is now Postville Park. Here Abraham Lincoln and his friends played townball a predecessor of baseball, threw the . . . — — Map (db m106028) HM
At this site was located the law office of Samuel C. Parks - a friend of Abraham Lincoln. Born in Vermont in 1820, he eventually moved to Logan County, where he served with Lincoln on the Eighth judicial Circuit. The two men shared law offices in . . . — — Map (db m12352) HM
On this site during the senatorial campaign of 1858 Stephen A. Douglas spoke to a Democratic political rally in a circus tent on September 4th. Douglas' opponent for the Senate seat, Abraham Lincoln, was on the train from Bloomington to Springfield . . . — — Map (db m105971) HM
This internationally known African-American author (1902-1967) acknowledges in his autobiography The Big Sea that he wrote his first poem while attending Central School here in Lincoln. Ethel Welch, his eighth grade teacher, asked him to write the . . . — — Map (db m105976) HM
On this site the Town proprietors erected the original Lincoln House in 1854.
Leonard Volk met Abraham Lincoln on the sidewalk in front of the hotel on July 16, 1858, and arranged to make Lincoln's life mask later. — — Map (db m12349) HM
The Niebuhr family, called “The Trapp Family of Theology” by Time magazine, produced four distinguished professors of Christian studies. In 1902, the Rev. Gustav and Lydia Niebuhr came to Lincoln, where he became pastor of St. John’s . . . — — Map (db m105975) HM
William Maxwell (1908-2000), author and editor, lived in this home from 1910-1920. He often returned to this home and Lincoln in his novels and short stories. His Midwestern childhood, particularly his mother's death in the Spanish influenza . . . — — Map (db m106025) HM
Middletown was founded in 1832 by Hiram S. Allen. Middletown was an excellent business location because stagecoaches already ran through the area, going from Springfield to Galena, carrying both passengers and mail. The first lot to be sold in . . . — — Map (db m41279) HM
The historic race between a Wright Brothers bi-plane (2 wings) and an Illinois Central Steam train took place September 29, 1910 from Washington Park in Chicago to the State Fairgrounds in Springfield.
Wilbur Wright was a passenger on the train. . . . — — Map (db m12323) HM
Mid-19th Century Lawyers riding the eighth judicial circuit sometimes found that local accommodations left much to be desired. If they were lucky, a prosperous local resident would invite them into their home. If not, they were at the mercy of . . . — — Map (db m41239) HM
Lincoln illustrator Lloyd Ostendorf imagined this scene in connection with Mt. Pulaski's "cast iron tombstone" case that Lincoln handled on appeal in the Illinois Supreme Court in Springfield (1859). Two local residents separately sued Reuben Miller . . . — — Map (db m41242) HM
Mt. Pulaski served as the seat of Logan County from 1848 to 1853. The First County Court was at Postville, now part of Lincoln, Illinois.
In 1848 Logan County voters approved the removal of the Court from Postville to Mt. Pulaski. Local citizens . . . — — Map (db m12327) HM