The building of the Colorado County Courthouse began with a public celebration on July 7, 1890. About 3,000 people attended a barbecue in a grove north of town. They later marched to the Courthouse Square in a procession led by a local marching . . . — — Map (db m76845) HM
In the 1820s, Abram Alley (d. 1862) came from Missouri to join his brothers in Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300” colony. He settled a few miles south of here on the east side of the Colorado, and in 1835 married Nancy Millar (1817-1893), of . . . — — Map (db m130387) HM
Born as war clouds gathered, Alleyton was a key point on the supply line of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War. It was both beginning and end of the cotton road leading to the Confederacy's back door on the Rio Grande River. . . . — — Map (db m36906) HM
Benjamin Beason, one of Stephen F. Austin's original 300 colonists, settled by a widely used Colorado River crossing near here in 1822. He and his wife Elizabeth proceeded to build a large home (also used as an inn) and established a gristmill, . . . — — Map (db m29691) HM
Oldest surveyed and platted Anglo-American town in Texas. About Christmas, 1821, Robert and Joseph Kuykendall and Daniel Gilleland settled at this place-in vicinity of old Indian campgrounds on Mexico-to-Sabine River Trail. Stephen F. Austin had . . . — — Map (db m130348) HM
A part of Stephen F. Austin's
Created March 17, 1836
Organized in 1837
The river traversing the region was called “Colorado” (red) by Spanish explorers who mistook it for the reddish Brazos. From the river, the . . . — — Map (db m71994) HM
Site of projected capitol of
Stephen F. Austin's colony, 1823.
First settlement at this point shown on
Stephen F. Austin's map of 1835 as Montezuma.
The municipality of Colorado was created by the
provisional government of Texas . . . — — Map (db m130393) HM
This classic revival building - erected in 1890-1891 in form of a Greek cross - is now one of 28 oldest existing courthouses in Texas' 254 counties.
Contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnson built the structure of brick and Belton stone. Local . . . — — Map (db m130392) HM
History is preserved in this structure. At founding (1919), this institution, in erecting its bank, retained a wall of 1857 Boedecker Building that had housed many ventures, including city's first bank (1875). In 1969 rebuilding, Columbus State Bank . . . — — Map (db m130347) HM
In 1824 the Mexican government granted to Elizabeth Tumlinson and her heirs the land and water rights to this area in the center of Stephen F. Austin's colony. The town of Columbus developed from a small frontier community. A fire in May 1883 . . . — — Map (db m28807) HM
Built 1883 by town of Columbus, using over 400,000 handmade bricks. Has 32-inch walls. Served as water tower and fire house until 1912. Since 1926 owned by Shropshire-Upton Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Recorded Texas . . . — — Map (db m76869) HM WM
Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris moved from Houston to Columbus in 1845. Ira served as County Sheriff and City Marshall, and Dilue wrote of her experiences during the Texas Revolution, later published. They built this house in 1858 and lived in it . . . — — Map (db m130388) HM
Dilue Rose Harris (1825-1914) is best known for her journal writings concerning events of the Texas Revolution. Her 30,000 word "Reminiscences" were published in the "quarterly" of the Texas State Historical Association, and have provided a valuable . . . — — Map (db m130390) HM
In 1837 this oak sheltered Texas jurors. Courthouse was unfinished because logs coming down-river for building had swept past in strong current. R. M. Williamson, presiding, was called "Three-legged Willie" due to appearance: he had good leg, . . . — — Map (db m28804) HM
Known as first drugstore in Republic of Texas. Founded 1844 by Dr. John G. Logue (1815-1861), who came here after graduation (1842) from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. A partner of his for a time was Dr. John H. Bowers, physician (1836) to . . . — — Map (db m76891) HM
Henry M. Ehrenwerth built this two-story commercial structure in 1873-75 of bricks from a local kiln. Designed for his mercantile store, it housed L.G. Smith's Red Elk Saloon and Gambling Hall in the 1880s. In 1896 the building was purchased by . . . — — Map (db m130346) HM
Most of the "Old Three Hundred" settlers in Stephen F. Austin's first Texas colony in the early 1820s came from the United States and were proud of their Anglo-American Heritage. Austin discouraged any display of American loyalties which might anger . . . — — Map (db m130386) HM
Built 1886 by R.E. Stafford, 1834-1890, millionaire cattleman. Stately interior (which seated 1,000) had gas-burning chandeliers and an elaborate hand-painted curtain. Architect was N.J. Clayton, who designed many opulent Texas buildings. Opening . . . — — Map (db m76852) HM
Robert Robson (1804-1878), one of many Scotsmen seeking fortune in North America, came to the Texas Republic in 1839. On land he owned at this site, he built a concrete "castle," using native lime and gravel. It had running water, pumped from the . . . — — Map (db m28325) HM
Dr. Robert Henry Harrison (1826-1905), graduate of the Botanico Medical College, Cincinnati, and Alabama Medical College, moved to Columbus in the 1870s, while the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio (later Southern Pacific) railway was building . . . — — Map (db m76922) HM
Site of the Camp, March 20-26, 1836, of one division of General Santa Anna's Army under the command of General Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma. It crossed the Colorado at Atascosita Ford, eight miles below Columbus. — — Map (db m29707) HM
Ornate Victorian house built for millionaire cattleman - banker Robert E. Stafford (1834-1890), one of organizers of Columbus Meat & Ice Co. Stafford built home and Opera House in same year, 1886. By design, he could sit in his bedroom and see . . . — — Map (db m76848) HM
Nineteenth-century stagecoach operations in Texas were closely tied to mail delivery, and contracts with the U.S. Postal Service more often than not made the transportation of passengers and freight by stage economically feasible. As an early . . . — — Map (db m76899) HM
The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado—first railway built in Texas—in the 1850s mapped its route from Houston to Austin through Alleyton (3 mi. E), bypassing Columbus. To retain their town's supremacy in its trade area, Columbus citizens . . . — — Map (db m76842) HM
By March 1822, Stephen F. Austin had attracted about 150 colonists to Texas. The pioneers faced many hardships, including concern for their protection form Indians along the Colorado and Brazos rivers. In December of that year, Trespalacios, the . . . — — Map (db m29767) HM
Eastlake style embellishments make this a Victorian jewel. It was built in 1890 by contractor Jacob Wirtz for Marcus H. and Annie (Burford) Townsend. A State Representative (1883-85) and Senator (1889-93), Townsend sponsored bill for state purchase . . . — — Map (db m76923) HM
John (1776-1823) and Elizabeth Plemmons (1778-1829) Tumlinson were born in Lincoln County, North Carolina and lived in Tennessee, Illinois, and Arkansas before coming to Texas with their seven children as members of Austin's Old Three Hundred . . . — — Map (db m29965) HM
Early Texas settler. Came here from Kentucky, 1822, when Texas was part of Mexico. Received a large land grant in 1824 as one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists. Worked as blacksmith and trader.
After Columbus was burned in Texas . . . — — Map (db m130389) HM
William L. Menefee, born ca. 1796 in Knox County, Tennessee, served in the Tennessee Militia in the War of 1812. He studied law and was admitted to the bar sometime prior to 1824 when he moved to Alabama. In 1830 he and his wife Agnes (Sutherland) . . . — — Map (db m130391) HM