Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fulton County Georgia Historical Markers

356 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 356 are listed. Previous 200
 
Springvale Park Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, September 10, 2010
Springvale Park Marker
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-91 — Springvale Park
July 22, 1864. Brig. Gen. John C. Brown’s div. of Chatham’s A.C. [CS] moved astride the Georgia R.R., E. from the Atlanta fortifications to attack the Federals at the Troup Hurt house. Manigault's brigade, followed by Sharp’s, were north of the . . . — Map (db m35613) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-60 — Standing Peach Tree
A Creek Indian village on both sides of the river at mouth of Peachtree Cr. Whether it was named for a "pitch tree" or a peach tree, it occurs, officially, as Standing Peach Tree in Gov. John Martin's letter of May 27, 1782, to Gen. Andrew Pickens . . . — Map (db m22090) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-74 — Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector
A point in the intrenched line of the Federal 4th A.C., July 20-22, 1864. Stanley’s & Wood’s divs. marched to this sector from Buckhead via Old Cheshire Bridge Rd., LaVista, Williams Mill & Johnson Rds., crossing S. Fork of Peachtree Creek at . . . — Map (db m22296) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-81 — Stanley's Sector
N.E. of this point (near Highland School) was the intrenched line held by Federal forces in the siege of Atlanta, July 22-Aug. 25, 1864. This was the extreme left of Howard’s 4th A.C.; its right flank rested at Tanyard Branch in Land Lot 107, . . . — Map (db m35573) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Stepping Up510 Auburn Avenue
With its fish-scale gable shingles, ornate porch brackets, and diamond-shaped and octagonal windows, this Queen Anne Victorian house symbolizes financial success. White Atlantans who had become successful in business or the professions built and . . . — Map (db m73177) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-77 — Stevenson's Division
A point in the intrenched line held by Gen. Carter L. Stevenson’s div. of the Cheatham’s (formerly Hood’s) A.C. [CS] -- a sector of Atlanta’s outer defense line. July 18-22, 1864. Stevenson’s troops were on the right of Bate’s div. (Hardee’s A.C.), . . . — Map (db m22286) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-126 — Surrender of AtlantaSeptember 2, 1864
Gen. Hood, in person, with Stewart’s A.C. & the Georgia Militia abandoned the city, Sept. 1, as a result of Hardee’s defeat at Jonesboro August 31, & marched S. to Lovejoy’s Station. Federal forces at Chattahoochee River crossings since Aug. 25, . . . — Map (db m31447) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Swan House
Swan House was completed in 1928 for Mr. and Mrs. Edward Hamilton Inman, heirs to a cotton-brokerage fortune. Named for the swan motif found throughout the interior, the house was designed by architect Philip Trammell Shutze (1890–1982), of . . . — Map (db m108769) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-95 — The 15th Corps Sector
July 20, 1864. Posted on this ridge, astride the Georgia R.R. was the right flank of Hood's old corps, (CS) Gen. B.F. Cheatham commanding. July 22. These troops were withdrawn, before daylight, to the city fortifications. The vacated line was . . . — Map (db m8884) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Battle of Atlanta
Sherman´s grand objective in this campaign was the capture of Atlanta. The strategic importance of the Georgia capital as a military stronghold and depot of supplies was recognized by the Federal commander. On account of its central location, . . . — Map (db m87451) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Battle of Peachtree CreekJuly 20, 1864 — Tablet #1 —
The battle of Peachtree Creek was the first of three desperate Confederate attacks on the armies commanded by Maj. General Wm. T. Sherman which were closing in on Atlanta. Although heavy skirmishing occurred between the Federal right and the . . . — Map (db m87187) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 51-8 — The Battles for Atlanta
Between July and Sept. 1864, during the American Civil War, U.S. and Confederate armies struggled for control of Atlanta, the major manufacturing center and railroad hub of the Deep South. Four inconclusive battles occurred inside the present day . . . — Map (db m37176) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Birthplace
For his first 12 years Martin Luther King, Jr., lived in the comfortable middle-class home across from you. Two cultural values distinguished the King household: a strong sense of family and the ever-presence of religion. Bad behavior often met . . . — Map (db m64772) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 60-9 — The Burning and Destruction of Atlanta
After capturing Atlanta in September 1864 during the Civil War, Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, before leaving Atlanta on the March to the Sea, ordered the destruction of all railroads, factories, and commercial buildings of possible use to the . . . — Map (db m41944) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Confederate AttackThe Battle of Peachtree Creek — Tablet #5 —
On July 20th, Hood ordered the attack to begin at 1:00 P.M. Hardee and Stewart were to advance, drive the enemy back to the creek, and then west into the angle formed by the creek and the river; but events east of Atlanta caused the line to be . . . — Map (db m87191) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Confederate Attack, Cont.The Battle of Peachtree Creek — Tablet #6 —
On the right, Harrison placed two regiments across Tanyard Branch, to connect with Candy´s left, and three on the slight rise east of it. Scott´s brigade advanced across the thickly wooded hills between Northside and Whitehall drives, routing the . . . — Map (db m87192) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-96 — The DeGress Battery
July 22, 1864. Light Battery H, 1st Ill. (four 20-pounders), Capth. Francis DeGress, was posted here on right of M.L.Smith’s div., Logan’s 15th A.C. Shells from these guns are said to have been the first to fall in Atlanta. Late afternoon, . . . — Map (db m9512) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-160 — The Embattled Ridge
Aug 6, 1864. The ridge just S. (densely wooded at the time) was fortified & held by Gen. W. B. Bate's div., Hardee's A.C. (CSA). It extended west from the Atlanta to East Point works, & blocked further Federal moves toward the railroads. To . . . — Map (db m8839) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-138 — The Errant Line
July 28, 1864. Anticipating a Confederate attack on the Right of the 15th A. C. [US], aligned W. of Ezra Ch., Sherman sent Davis’ div. (14th A. C.), on a circuitous march W., so as to come in on Logan’s Rt. via Lick Skillet (Adamsville) Road. . . . — Map (db m50624) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Eternal Flame
The Eternal Flame symbolizes the continuing effort to realize Dr. King's ideals for the "Beloved Community" which requires lasting personal commitment that cannot weaken when faced with obstacles. — Map (db m73174) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Eternal Flame Of The Confederacy
Erected under the auspices of the Old Guard and Atlanta Chapter U.D.C. A.D. 1919 in memory of Andrew J. West. Beloved citizen Captain C.S.A.-General U.C.V. The damage at the base of this lamp post was caused by a shell during The War Between . . . — Map (db m18622) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Evacuation of Atlanta
On July 30, 1864, General Hood, retaining Stewart´s corps in Atlanta, sent Hardee and Lee to Jonesboro to dispossess the enemy whose seizure of the railway at this point was ominous of the approaching end, since it threatened communication on the . . . — Map (db m87454) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-5 — The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer was founded in 1903 as the first English-speaking congregation in Atlanta. The church’s first building was erected in 1905 near the state capitol. The church moved in 1937 to Peachtree and Fourth Streets where in . . . — Map (db m23043) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-136 — The Exterior LineJuly - August 1864
When Federal forces E. of Atlanta were shifting to the W. side, to move against the Macon and West Point rail roads (entering the city from the S.W.), the Confederate defenders intrenched a line W. and parallel to them. This line began at W. Fair . . . — Map (db m96774) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Federal AdvanceThe Battle of Peachtree Creek — Tablet #3 —
After noon on July 9th, Schofield´s Army of the Ohio (23rd Corps) had forced Johnston to cross the Chattahoochee River that night by a surprise crossing up river at Soap Creek. On the 12th, Howard´s 4th Corps of Thomas´ Army of the Cumberland . . . — Map (db m87189) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Federal Advance, Cont./The Change of CommandThe Battle of Peachtree Creek — Tablet #4 —
The Federal Advance, Cont. It finally reached the golf course area and deployed with Wood´s brigade on the left, Coburn´s in the center and Harrison´s on the right. Earlier, Newton´s division of Howard´s corps had crossed the creek and . . . — Map (db m87190) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Federal Forces Engaged/The Confederate Forces EngagedThe Battle of Peachtree Creek — Tablet #2 —
The Federal Forces Engaged (Sherman’s right wing) The Army of the Cumberland Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas Fourth Corps* 2nd Division Brig. Gen. John Newton (Kimball’s, Blake’s and Bradley’s brigades) Fourteenth Corps** 1st Division . . . — Map (db m87188) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-144 — The Federal Salient
July 28, 1864. The N.E. cor. of Laurel & Archer was the location of a salient angle in the line of Logan’s 15th Corps troops [US] in the Battle of Ezra Church. N.W. from the angle, Harrow’s & M. L. Smith’s divs. extended to Anderson Ave.; Wood’s . . . — Map (db m53693) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Georgian Terrace Hotel
Built by Atlanta native, Joseph Gatins and designed by New York Architect, W. L. Stoddard, the Terrace opened October 2, 1911. Over the years most of Atlanta’s famous visitors have chosen the Georgian Terrace Hotel as their temporary home on . . . — Map (db m47425) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Hanging of Andrews Raiders
280 feet south of this location on June 18, 1862, seven of the Union Army's brave Andrews Raiders were hanged and buried. On April 12, 1862, 22 Andrews Raiders seized the General, a tender and three boxcars at Big Shanty (now Kennesaw) and raced . . . — Map (db m64905) HM WM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-47 — The Hiram Embry Plantation
500 ft. W. stood the ante-bellum residence of Hiram H. Embry (1805-1877), a notable landmark during the battle of Peachtree Cr. At 4 P.M., July 20, 1864, Walthall’s div. [CS] advanced N. on this road to attack the Federal line above Collier Road . . . — Map (db m17762) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Home
Young Martin Luther King. Jr.'s, childhood here was entirely normal. He did his chores and received his allowance. Neighbors often saw him bouncing a ball off the side of the house or riding his bike along the street. He fought with his brother (he . . . — Map (db m73182) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Indian Trail Echota
In this place the Indian Trail Echota crossed the Peach Tree Trail 1812 — Map (db m29384) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-117 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864 after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the north, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his Army [US] (60,000 infantry and artillery and . . . — Map (db m41847) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-33 — The Mississippi Brigade
Brig. Gen. W. S. Featherston ~ Loring’s div. It consisted of the 40th, 31st, 22d, 3d & 33d regts., (deployment sequence W. to E.) Stigler’s sharpshooters in skirmish line. Brigade was on extreme rt. of Stewart’s A.C., joining Hardee’s A.C. which . . . — Map (db m29381) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-94 — The Railroad Cut
In 1864 the single track of the Ga. R.R. ran through a deep cut opposite this point. Crossing it & the Decatur rd. was the entrenched line of the Federal 15th A.C. as of July 22. This was a sector of McPherson's Army of the Tenn. which occupied . . . — Map (db m8758) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Saga of Gold Tooth John(Or: How the Holiday Inn Central Came To Be)
First the Cherokee Indians were here. Then the White settlers were here. Among the first of these was Edwin Plaster who built his home near here. He grew cotton on this plot of land, and built the first permanent bridge across Peachtree Creek. He . . . — Map (db m14413) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Sandy Springs
This community is named for the natural springs bubbling up through clear white sand in the meadow below. The Springs were a Cherokee and Creek Indian campsite which became the property of the orphans of John Medows of Henry County in the 1821 Land . . . — Map (db m9544) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Seige of Atlanta
Following these sanguinary Battle of July 22, 1864, enemy entrenched himself to the east and south of Atlanta. Then began the long and fearful seige which, lasting for six weeks, was veritably a reign of terror. From batteries planted upon the . . . — Map (db m87456) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-163 — The Siege Lifted
Aug. 26, 1864. After 35 days of futile siege operations, the Federals withdrew from their lines north & west of Atlanta & by a wide flanking march, moved against the two railroads entering the city from the southwest. The 15th, 16th, & 17th corps, . . . — Map (db m36141) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-97 — The Troup Hurt House
The Plantation house of Geo. M.T. Hurt, begun the Summer of 1862, never completed & never occupied as a residence, stood on the site of the stone church. It faced the Decatur Rd. July 18, 1864. A sector of the outer line of Atlanta's defense works . . . — Map (db m8885) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-152 — The Valley of Utoy Creek
Federal Forces conducting siege operations on North & West fronts of Atlanta's fortified lines were, at intervals, moved S. toward East Point, in attempts to seize the 2 railroads that entered the city from the Southwest. Palmers XIV A.C. marched . . . — Map (db m71607) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-175 — The Winecoff Fire
This is the site of the worst hotel fire in U.S. history. In the predawn hours of December 7, 1946, the Winecoff Hotel fire killed 119 people. The 15-story building still stands adjacent to this marker. At the time, this building had neither fire . . . — Map (db m59667) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-190 — The Wren’s NestHome of Joel Chandler Harris
Creator of the Uncle Remus stories and exponent of the New South, Joel Chandler Harris was born December 9, 1848 in Eatonton. After serving an apprenticeship on a plantation newspaper The Countryman near Eatonton and working on several . . . — Map (db m55306) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Theodore “Tiger” Flowers(1895-1927)
Theodore “Tiger” Flowers was the first African-American boxer to win the world middleweight championship in 1926. Born in Camilla, Georgia in 1895. Flowers moved to Atlanta in 1920 where he began training seriously to be a professional . . . — Map (db m108823) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Third Division 23rd Corps Attack / Second Division 23rd Corps AttackUtoy Creek Military Battlefield Park
(side 1) Third Division 23rd Corps Attack At 0830 hours, August 6, 1864, the advanced elements of Cox's Divison (USA), Riley's and Byrd's Brigades advanced to Sandtown Road (now Cascade) and deployed skirmishers to get around the . . . — Map (db m96668) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Thomas E. Watson
. . . — Map (db m87462) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-173 — ThrashervilleWhere Atlanta Began
In 1839 “Cousin John” Thrasher built a settlement called Thrasherville at this then forested site near the peg marking the planned terminus of the Western & Atlantic R. R. This railroad was later built by the State of Georgia to provide . . . — Map (db m59670) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — To Robert BurnsImmortal Scottish Bard-Ardent Freemason — (1759-1796) —
Here in 1910, was erected by the Burns Club of Atlanta, Georgia, a building unique in the world—the only exact replica of the Burns cottage near Kirk Alloway, Ayrshire, Scotland, birthplace of the world’s most beloved poet, and “poet . . . — Map (db m45916) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Transfer of Command
Under orders from President Davis, on July 17, 1864, General Joseph E. Johnston, the masterful tactician and soldier, relinquished command of the Army of Tennessee. To succeed him, General John B. Hood, one of his corps commanders, an intrepid . . . — Map (db m87453) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-128 — Union Defense Line
In August 1864, after four weeks of siege operations, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman withdrew his forces to move them secretly around Atlanta on a wide circuit beyond East Point and destroy the railroad at Jonesboro. He had found Atlanta's fortifications . . . — Map (db m10857) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-32 — Ward’s Div. Deployed
July 20, 1864. Gen. W. T. Ward’s 3rd div., 20th A.C., having crossed the creek at Peachtree Road, moved to the low ground at stream-side, its three brigands aligned westward, facing S. From East to West were Wood’s, Coburn’s and Harrison’s . . . — Map (db m16501) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-29 — Ward's Div. Crossed Peachtree Creek
July 20, 1864. Ward’s 20th A.C. div. crossed a short distance downstream, leaving the artillery on this side, because of difficult terrain south of the creek. Moving S.W., it occupied the section between Geary’s div. (W. of Collier’s Mill), & the . . . — Map (db m23343) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-28 — Ward's Div. Encamped
July 18, 1864. Ward’s 3d div., 20th A.C. moved to this position from Pace’s Fy. to occupy the sector on the immediate right of Howard’s 4th Corps which had marched from Power’s Fy, reaching Buckhead at noon. The other two 20th A.C. Divisions were . . . — Map (db m22891) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-140 — West Side Siege Line
Howard’s Army of the Tenn. 3 corps), which had fought E. of Atlanta July 22, were shifted to this area West of the city, July 27, 28, 1864. Dodge’s 16th and Blair’s 17th A.C. were aligned along Chapel Rd. which, in 1864, led S.W. directly to Ezra . . . — Map (db m45768) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 60-6 — Whittier Cotton Mill and Village
Whittier Cotton Mills of Lowell, Massachusetts opened a new Atlanta factory on this site in 1896. Development of the mill complex included the construction of Whittier Mill Village, a mill-centered residential community for workers and their . . . — Map (db m8969) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — William Allen FullerBorn April 15, 1836 • Died Dec. 28, 1905 — Captain, Independent State Troops of Ga. C.S.A. —
On April 12, 1862, Captain Fuller pursued and after a race of 90 miles, from Big Shanty northward on the Western & Atlantic Railroad, re-captured the historic war-engine "General" which had been seized by 22 Federal soldiers in disguise, thereby . . . — Map (db m64788) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — William Ambrose Wright
To the Memory of William Ambrose Wright Born at Louisville, Georgia, January 19, 1844. Died at Atlanta, Georgia, September 13, 1929; Soldier, Statesman, and Christian Knight:A gallant officer in the Army of the Confederate States of America; for . . . — Map (db m130181) HM WM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-57 — Williams' Div. Deployed
July 20, 1864. Williams' div., 20th A. C., having crossed Peachtree Cr. 750 yds. N., deployed his 3 brigades - Robinson's, Knipe's & Ruger's in the order named, on this ridge from this point W. This was part of a general move on Atlanta by Fed. . . . — Map (db m16408) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-18 — Williams' Ky. Cavalry at Nancy's Creek
A concerted, but scattered endeavor was made by Wheeler’s cavalry [CS] to oppose the advance of Federal forces from four Chattahoochee River crossings toward Atlanta, July 1864. July 18. Brig. Gen. John S. Williams’ (formerly Grigsby’s) . . . — Map (db m27984) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-75 — Wood’s Div. 4th Corps
On adjacent hill was the right or western end of the intrenched line held by Gen. T.J. Wood’s div. of the Federal 4th A.C., July 20-22, 1864. The line extended E. 1.5 mi. to intersection of Rock Spring & Cumberland Roads. This was a part of . . . — Map (db m28923) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-23 — Wood's & Newton's Divs. at Peachtree Creek
July 19, 1864. Wood’s & Newton’s 4th A.C. divs. moving S. from Buckhead to effect crossings at Peachtree Cr. found the bridge burned. Wood improvised one & crossed two brigades which, after a sharp contest with Hardee’s troops [CS], drove them to . . . — Map (db m23346) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-34 — Wood's Brigade
Col. James Wood's brigade, Ward’s div., [US] was the left of the 20th A.C. line. It was posted in the ravine N. of Collier Rd. where its left joined Kimball’s brigade. Newton’s div. 4th A.C. Featherston’s [CS] attack was delayed by skirmishers while . . . — Map (db m16381) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Campbellton — Site of the Campbell County Court House
Where, in June 1867 the widow of Captain T.C. Glover called a reunion of the survivors of Company A, 21st Georgia, C.S.A. who agreed to hold annual meetings. — Map (db m21432) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), East Point — 060-118 — East Point
East Point owes its origin to an 1847 Act incorporating the Atlanta & LaGrange RR (now Atlanta & West point). The charter stated its eastern terminus should be at a convenient point on the Macon & Western RR (now Central of Georgia) between . . . — Map (db m35256) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Fairburn — 060-24A — Old Campbell County←—«
This was the Courthouse of Campbell County at the time it was merged with Fulton County Jan. 1, 1932. When the County was created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 20 & 22, 1828, the Site was at Campbellton on the Chattahoochee but it was moved to . . . — Map (db m32709) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Hapeville — 60-10 — Delta Air Lines
Delta Air Lines began in 1924 as a crop dusting company, based first in Macon, Georgia, and then Monroe, Louisiana. C.E. Woolman led a group of investors in buying the company in 1928 and renamed it Delta Air Service. Passenger service began between . . . — Map (db m108974) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Hapeville — Hapeville, Georgia
Hapeville is situated on the Central Railroad of Georgia, eight miles from Atlanta, upon a water-shed extending from Atlanta to Macon. When chartered on September 16, 1891, Hapeville was considered the most attractive suburban town around Atlanta . . . — Map (db m10906) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Hapeville — Historic Christ Church, Hapeville
With the involvement of Hapeville’s first Mayor, Samuel Hape, the oldest standing church structure in the City of Hapeville, situated at Georgia Avenue and Chestnut Street, was consecrated in November 1895. From 1895 until 1906 the building . . . — Map (db m57833) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Johns Creek — 060-1 — State R.R. SurveyJuly 4, 1837
Near here began the survey for the State R.R. (W&A), by Chief Engr. Stephen H. Long and Asst. Engr. Abbott H. Brisbane. Trial lines were run to the Etowah River, 38 mi, N, to determine if a Chattahoochee River crossing here would conform to levels . . . — Map (db m21573) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Boiling Springs Primitive Baptist Church — A City of Milton Historic Site —
In November 1837 fen original members chartered the Articles of Boiling Springs Primitive Baptist Church, the first church of its denomination in North Georgia. The original church was a log structure. The first pastor was John Wayne. Solomon Peek . . . — Map (db m118170) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Broadwell Building — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Circa 1902 Local cotton farmer, John Broadwell built this structure with brick manufactured nearby. John's half-brother, Newport H. Broadwell, Jr., operated the original dry goods store. Later the building served many uses: lodging for travelers, a . . . — Map (db m118150) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Dinsmore Barn — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Circa 1890. This iconic barn was owned by Joe and Patsy Dinsmore who raised cotton, corn, and vegetables on 150 acres during the first half of the last century. Patsy maintained a telephone exchange in their nearby house to supplement their income. . . . — Map (db m118162) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Double Branch Voting District Courthouse — A City of Milton Historic Site —
This structure served the Birmingham community as one of seven militia district courthouses in Milton County. Rolls were maintained of eligible males between the ages of 15 and 50 who could be called up in times of emergency. The Courthouse also . . . — Map (db m118169) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Hagood Store — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Charles B. Hagood, an entrepreneur in Milton County, built the Hagood Store at the turn of the 20th Century. This brick structure housed a millinery, run by Bunche Devore, and a post office from 1902-1905, where Hagood served as the Postmaster. This . . . — Map (db m118165) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Hopewell Baptist Church — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Spiritual home to many of the area's first families, Hopewell Baptist was constituted on April 14, 1851, with 15 original members. The church joined the Hightower Baptist Association in June 1851. Members first met in the home of Rhoda Byrd Rogers . . . — Map (db m118167) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — John B. Broadwell House — A City of Milton Historic Site —
John B. Broadwell was the great grandson of Jesse Broadwell, an early (1838) settler of the area. Jesse obtained four land lots (160 acres) in Crabapple. John was an agriculturalist who developed prize-winning Broadwell Big Boll cotton (aka . . . — Map (db m118152) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — McConnell-Chadwick Homestead — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Circa late 1830s, homestead of Brigadier General and State Senator Eli McConnell and his wife Savilla Garrison. This house was one of the first in the original Cherokee County, established in December 1832. Governor Troup authorized McConnell to . . . — Map (db m118146) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Nix - Bell House — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Circa 1896. Early in the 20th Century this house was owned by William Henry (Will) Nix (1886-1953) and Clara Maddox Nix. Clara was the daughter of Dr. Cicero Cincinnatus Maddox a prominent Alpharetta physician. In addition to farming, Nix raised . . . — Map (db m118172) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Phillips Homestead — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Abner Phillips and wife Nancy Beck came to this area in the early 1830s, eventually acquiring 240 acres. She died in 1837 In 1841, he married Nancy Broadwell. The two unions produced 15 children. Five sons served in the Civil War. Only one survived. . . . — Map (db m118161) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Providence Baptist Church — A City of Milton Historic Site —
The original church building, a log cabin, was constructed by Abner Phillips and Joseph Walker. The first organized service took place on December 20, 1834. At the meeting, Solomon Peek and Peter Kuykendall were elected elders. Drucilla Walker and . . . — Map (db m118156) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Reese House — A City of Milton Historic Site —
The Cantrell and Nallie Reese House was built in 1912 by the Reese family. Cantrell was the son of Ervin and Ann Devore Reese. Nallie was the daughter of John Broadwell, a prominent cotton farmer and merchant. These were early settlers in the area. . . . — Map (db m118147) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Rucker Cotton Gin — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Joel Jackson (J.J.) Rucker (1880-1960) founded the Rucker Cotton Seed Company and subsequently built a cotton gin at this location, circa 1930. Farmers entered the rear of the gin with their wagonloads of cotton, where it was weighed, combed, washed . . . — Map (db m118151) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Summit School — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Near this location stood the Summit School, one of the earliest public schools in rural Milton County. In 1895, A.S. Cantrell and John Cowart donated one acre each to the Trustees of the Summit School to erect a public school house. In 1908, The . . . — Map (db m118160) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Thomas B. Newton House — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Formerly known as the Old Birmingham Hotel, the building was constructed by Thomas B. Newton, Jr. around 1865. It originally stood next to Hickory Flat Road, but was relocated here in 2007 to preserve it. The building served in numerous capacities . . . — Map (db m118174) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Thomas Byrd House — A City of Milton Historic Site —
In 1834, Thomas Byrd of Hall County purchased Land Lot 403, consisting of 40 acres, in Cherokee County for $400. Circuit riders often stayed in the two parsons rooms in the house. It also served as a stagecoach stop on the mail route to the gold . . . — Map (db m118175) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Walker Barn — A City of Milton Historic Site —
Atlanta physician John Walker (1902-1977) purchased a 500 acre farm here in the 1930s. The barn was built in the late 19th century. Originally, the transverse frame barn, with several cribs, was joined together under one roof, separated by an aisle. . . . — Map (db m118164) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Willis Cass Tucker, Jr Home — A City of Milton Historic Site —
This clapboard house was built in 1899 by Willis Cass Tucker, Jr., and his wife Dealphia Jane Wheeler on an original 40-acre land lot from the 1832 lottery of Cherokee Indian lands. It typifies turn of the century Georgia farmhouses. Tucker sold it . . . — Map (db m118159) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Palmetto — 060-112 — Confederate Army of Tennessee
The Army of Tennessee [CS] abandoned Atlanta Sept. 2, 1864, moved to Lovejoy, then to Palmetto, Sept. 19. Most of the Army entrenched 3 miles N. Gen. John B. Hood had headquarters here from Sept. 19 to 29, 1864. Pres. Jefferson Davis visited here . . . — Map (db m22044) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Palmetto — Confederate Monument
Company I 2nd Regiment Georgia Volunteers Wheeler's Cavalry. Company C 19th Regiment Georgia — Map (db m107340) WM
Georgia (Fulton County), Palmetto — 29 I-B — Palmetto
Palmetto was named by a member of the Palmetto Guards, a Regiment from South Carolina enroute to the Mexican War. This was in appreciation of the hospitality shown them by the community while encamped here in January, 1847 — Map (db m26267) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Palmetto — Ramah Baptist Church
The first Baptist Church established in Campbell County in 1828, it became the mother church for many Western and Fairburn Baptist Association churches. James Rainwater (1795 - 1871) was the first known pastor, serving for 26 years, and is buried in . . . — Map (db m61617) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Palmetto — Willis Pentecost MenefeeFather of the Town — 1814 – June 24, 1855 —
Buried here are Willis P. Menefee and his mother Nancy Collier Menefee (Feb. 6, 1771 – Dec. 2, 1852). Major Menefee donated his land for businesses, schools, parks and the Palmetto Methodist Church and gave all land necessary for the . . . — Map (db m60990) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Riverdale — Bethsaida Baptist Church and Cemetery
Bethsaida Baptist Church, formed in 1829, was led by itinerant preachers traveling in the area. In April, 1843, John S. Dodd, was called to pastor the church on a permanent basis. He faithfully served the church for 50 years, retiring January 25, . . . — Map (db m44063) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Riverdale — 060-170 — Howard's March to Jonesboro
Aug. 1864. Howard’s Army of the Tenn. [US], having abandoned siege operations on the W. side of Atlanta, moved S. in a flanking march to cut the West Point R.R. at & below Shadnor Ch. On the 30th, the army moved E. toward Jonesboro to seize and . . . — Map (db m44414) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 2 — Allenbrook
circa 1840, built of handmade brick. Originally home and office of the Lauren Woolen Mill; Near Allenbrook is historic site of Laurel Woolen Mill (burned by Sherman’s Forces); Lovers Rock, popular antebellum picnic spot. — Map (db m108987) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Archibald Smith
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111501) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-125 — Barrington Hall
Barrington King, co-founder of Roswell with his father, Roswell King, for whom the town is named, selected this spot for his home, which is in the Greek Revival style of architecture. Willis Ball, a carpenter from Connecticut, was the builder. After . . . — Map (db m16647) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 4 — Barrington Hall
circa 1842, Greek Revival home of Barrington King, son of Roswell King, one of the founders of Roswell. — Map (db m112246) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Barrington King
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111552) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Brantley-Newton House1919
Built for D.H. Bradley by noted Atlanta architect Neel Reid, a Roswell resident from 1917-1926. The home exhibits Reid’s sense of scale and proportion. A later occupant was Charles Newton, a teacher at Roswell High School for 28 years and the . . . — Map (db m109193) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-40B — Bulloch Hall
Built in the early 1840's by Major James Stephen Bulloch. His second wife, married in 1832, was Martha Elliott. Their second daughter, Martha (Mittie) Bulloch and Theodore Roosevelt married here in 1853. Their son Theodore Roosevelt was the 25th . . . — Map (db m55963) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 7 — Bulloch Hall"A Founders Home"
Major James Stephen Bulloch Greek Revival, circa 1840 — Map (db m109394) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — C.J. Perry Housecirca 1880
Home of Charles Jefferson Perry who organized the Citizens Bank of Roswell and developed the north Roswell business district along present-day Canton Street in the late 19th Century. — Map (db m109118) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Elizabeth King Hand
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111554) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Founders' Cemetery
This cemetery, the first in Roswell, was burying ground of the village from 1840 to 1860. Among the distinguished dead who rest here are Roswell’s founder, Roswell King; Major James Stephens Bulloch, grandfather of president Theodore Roosevelt and . . . — Map (db m21712) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 28 — Francis J. Minhinnett House
Cotton Mill Superintendent house built circa 1849. — Map (db m109170) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-113 — Francis Robert Goulding
Francis Robert Goulding, author, clergyman, inventor, lived in this house at the time of his death, August 22, 1881, and is buried in the Roswell Presbyterian Cemetery. The son of Rev. Thomas Goulding, founder and first president of the Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m10860) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-5 — Garrard’s Cav. & Newton’s Division
July 9, 1864. Roswell bridge, having been destroyed by the retreating Confederates, Garrard’s cav. [US] waded the river at Shallow Ford in face of opposition from the south side. Wilder’s brigade (Miller, commanding) led off ~ its 4 regiments . . . — Map (db m33557) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Great Oaks1842 — A Founders Home —
The Reverend Nathaniel A. Pratt, first minister of the Roswell Presbyterian Church. During the Civil War, Union troops camped here in 1864 while occupying Roswell on their way to Atlanta. — Map (db m109145) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Hembree Farm
In the 1830s, Amariah Hembree brought his family here from South Carolina to farm the former Cherokee lands. His son, James, a carpenter, built this house. James’ brother Elihu and his descendants lived on this land for 8 generations. They raised . . . — Map (db m109380) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-200 — Hightower (Etowah) Trail
At this point the noted Hightower (Etowah) Indian Trail crossed today’s Azalea Drive. With connections from Charleston, via Augusta, the old thoroughfare ran through this section to reach the Indian towns of present - day northwest Georgia. The . . . — Map (db m33436) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Historic Roswell Square Bicentennial Restoration Project
For years called “The Park,” this area was set aside by Roswell’s founders. Present walks duplicate original paths. President Theodore Roosevelt spoke here from a bandstand in 1905. Historic Roswell Square Bicentennial Restoration . . . — Map (db m112081) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Holly Hillcirca 1845
Greek Revival raised-cottage-style home of Savannah cotton broker Robert Adams Lewis. His wife was Catharine Barrington, as niece of town founder Roswell King. A later resident was noted author Evelyn Hanna, whose 1938 novel Blackberry Winter . . . — Map (db m109119) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — James S. Bulloch
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111558) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — John Dunwoody
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111549) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-6 — McPherson’s Troops at Shallow Ford
Here, in 1824, Jacob R. Brooks established a ferry at Shallow Ford where the old Hightower Trail crossed the Chattahoochee. July 10, 1864. Dodge’s 16th A.C., after a forced march of 27 mi. from the Sandtown Rd. (near Mableton), via Marietta, . . . — Map (db m33560) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Miss Sallie’s Placecirca 1893
Two sisters, Miss Sallie Kimball and Mrs. V.L. Williams lived in this house which operated as the first boarding house in Roswell for a period of time. It had six bedrooms, each with a coal burning fireplace. Visiting ministers were welcome to come . . . — Map (db m109213) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Nathaniel A. Pratt
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111556) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Naylor Hallcirca 1840
Built by Barrington King for Roswell Manufacturing Company textile mills manager H.W. Proudfoot. The columned portico and porte-cochere were added and the house enlarged in the 1920s by Harrison Broadwell. The house is named for his mother’s family. — Map (db m109009) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 25 — Old Methodist ChurchCirca 1859-1920
Became Masonic Hall in 1952 — Map (db m109171) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Old Roswell Cemeterycirca 1840s
This cemetery is located on the site of the Mt. Carmel Methodist Church which was established in 1836. The church was a log cabin built on the highest point of these cemetery grounds. It no longer stands. Many early settlers of the Roswell area . . . — Map (db m109593) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 11 — Original Mill
Original mill destroyed by General Sherman’s forces in 1864. Mill rebuilt on present site in 1882. Destroyed by lightning in 1929. Rebuilt and continued operation until July, 1975. — Map (db m109236) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 35 — PastoriumFirst Baptist Church — Erected 1940 —
R. Lee Buice First Pastor to live here — Map (db m109120) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church traces its roots to as early as 1836 when Amariah Hembree organized Lebanon Baptist Church in his home near the town of Lebanon, Georgia. Church records show that Burl Hembree, a negro slave, was ordained to preach and . . . — Map (db m109271) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Pleasant Hill Cemetery
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church traces its roots to as early as 1836 in the Lebanon Baptist Church. Sometime after 1847 the Black congregation of that church organized the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church on a site near this cemetery. The church building . . . — Map (db m109255) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Primrose Cottage1839
Primrose Cottage was the first permanent residence constructed in Roswell. Built for Eliza King Hand, a daughter of town founder Roswell King, the home features a hand-turned fence executed by an English craftsman. The house was designed by . . . — Map (db m109142) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-4A — Roswell Factory>>>------>
Chattahoochee River water power caused Roswell King to establish a town here in 1837. He had a cotton mill in operation by 1839. By 1853 two cotton mills, a woolen mill, flour mill, and tannery were in operation, employing two hundred and fifty . . . — Map (db m21713) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Roswell King
1839 “He was founder of the village which bears his name. 1939 A man of great energy, industry and perseverance; of rigid Integrity, truth and justice. He early earned and long enjoyed the esteem and confidence of his fellow men.” . . . — Map (db m111633) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-122 — Roswell Presbyterian Church
In 1839, 15 Presbyterian men and women, 'members of the colony' of Roswell, invited the Rev. Nathaniel A. Pratt, D.D., of Darien, to organize the first Presbyterian church of Roswell. These charter members included the Bulloch, Dunwody, Hand, King, . . . — Map (db m9174) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 15 — Roswell Presbyterian Church
Historic First Church, 1840 — Map (db m111989) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Roswell Town Squarecirca 1840
The Square was part of town founder Roswell King’s original town plan and is the center of the Roswell Historic District. The District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. President Theodore Roosevelt visited Roswell, his . . . — Map (db m112003) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-121 — Roswell’s Distinguished Men
In this cemetery lie some of Roswell’s leading early citizens, most of whom came here from Georgia’s coastal counties: Francis Robert Goulding (1810-1881), clergyman, inventor, author of The Young Marooners and other juvenile classics; . . . — Map (db m70425) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Archibald Smith Plantation Home, Outbuildings and Grounds
In 1838, Archibald and Anne Smith left their home in coastal Georgia and, along with five other families, became founding citizens of the tiny community of Roswell, located on what was then the Georgia frontier. In 1845 they constructed their . . . — Map (db m70057) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Castlecirca 1839
Site of the home of Roswell King, the founder of Roswell, Georgia. A now-vanished large log dwelling sheltered King, his family, and friends until their own homes could be built in the new village. He died in 1844 before building a permanent home . . . — Map (db m109192) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Fowler Housecirca 1830
Originally constructed by a Cherokee Indian as a one room cottage with a fireplace. It was enlarged and the front entrance turned to face Canton Street in the early 1900s. The house was occupied for many years by Mr. & Mrs. Charles C. Fowler, . . . — Map (db m109212) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Goulding Housecirca mid-1800s
Once called Colonial Place this became the home of author, inventor, naturalist, and retired Presbyterian minister Dr. Francis R. Goulding (1810-1881) of Liberty County. In 1842 he built the first practical sewing machine, but never secured a patent . . . — Map (db m113942) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-120 — The Old Bricks
Erected in 1839 for workers in the Roswell Cotton Mill, these apartments were the first built in the South and are believed to be the oldest in the United States. They served briefly as a hospital for wounded Federal soldiers in 1864. The Roswell . . . — Map (db m21730) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 6 — W.J. Dolvin House
Victorian Architecture President Jimmy Carter Roswell White House — Map (db m109173) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Waller Park
Land for Waller Park was given to fulton County in 1946 by James Isaac Wright in memory of his uncle, J.H. Wright, who had founded and operated (1896-1913) a water-powered pants factory on this site under the name of the Oxbow Falls Manufacturing . . . — Map (db m113046) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Waller Park
In 1946, James Isaac Wright donated and deeded 16.1 acres of land to Fulton County for a public swimming pool and park. This site was named Waller Park in memory of his uncle, J. H. “Pony “ Waller, founder of Oxbow Falls Manufacturing . . . — Map (db m113148) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Willeo Baptist Churchcirca 1835
Named after a well known local Native American, Willeo, who lived along present-day Willeo Creek in the early 1800s. According to legend, he may have been an original church member. Willeo Baptist has played an important role in the Christian life . . . — Map (db m109387) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Zion Missionary Baptist ChurchCirca 1871
Organized in 1871, by a group of dedicated African-American Christians, on land donated by white members of Lebanon Baptist Church was established at 929 Zion Circle, Roswell, Georgia as a one-story structure that also housed a school. Zion . . . — Map (db m108801) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-10 — 23d A.C. to Decatur
July 17, 1864. Schofield’s 23d A.C. left its river positions near Isom’s ferry on a march designed to gain the N.E. sector of the final approach to Atlanta by Federal forces. Cox’s (3d) div continued to Sandy Springs on this road where a rt. turn . . . — Map (db m22964) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-15 — 4th & 23d A.C. Advance
Howard’s 4th A.C. was aligned along this ridge (Mt. Vernon Rd.) from a point .5 mi. N.E. of Crossroads Ch. to 1.5 mi. S.W.. at the river. These troops reached this ridge July 12, 13, 1864, having crossed the Chattahoochee at Power’s & Isom’s . . . — Map (db m10818) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-12 — Gen. J. D. Cox's Div. To Old Cross Keys
Maj. Gen. J. M. Schofield`s 23d A.C. (US) having crossed the Chattahoochee July 8, 1864, remained near Isom`s Ferry until the 17th. On that day the corps moved toward Sandy Springs (on Mt. Vernon Rd.). Hascall`s div. turned S. (on Long Island Drive) . . . — Map (db m10819) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-11 — Hascall’s Div. Camped
Brig. Gen. Milo Hascall’s (2d) div., 23d A. C., having crossed the Chattahoochee River at Isom’s Ferry (mouth of Soap Cr.), July 8, 1864, reached this point, evening July 17. This date marked the initial Federal moves upon Atlanta. Hascall’s march . . . — Map (db m17861) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-13 — Hascall's Div. Joins Cox's Line of March
July 17, 1864. Gen. J. D. Cox’s 23d A.C. [US], enroute from Isom's Ferry via Mt. Vernon Rd., turned S.E. at Sandy Springs & followed a rural trail (now Johnson’s Ferry and Chamblee roads) to & beyond Nancy’s Creek in DeKalb Co. Cox’s div. was . . . — Map (db m16424) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-114 — Hightower (Etowah) Trail<------->
Hightower (Etowah) Trail, one of the best marked Indian trails in Georgia, and a main road along which many settlers built their homes until the 1840’s, crossed this highway near here on its way to a nearby ford on the Chattahoochee River. A . . . — Map (db m33435) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-14 — Howard's 4th A.C. Line
These troops [US], having crossed the river at & near Power’s Ferry July 12, 13, 1864, occupied an intrenched line on this ridge facing S.E. until the 18th ~ the rt. resting on the river, the left near Crossroads Church. Stanley’s & Newton’s men . . . — Map (db m17848) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-16 — Howard's March to Buckhead
July 18, 1864. Howard’s 4th A.C. left Crossroads Ch 4:30 A.M., Newton’s div leading, followed by Stanley’s & Wood’s. Just below Mt. Paran Rd. Newton’s column was assailed by Williams’ Kentucky Brigade of Wheeler’s cav., which opposed the Federals . . . — Map (db m17852) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-7 — McPherson's Troops March to Decatur
July 17, 1864. The three Federal armies, commanded by Gen. W. T. Sherman, having crossed the Chattahoochee River at Soap Creek, at Power’s & Pace’s ferries, & at Shallow Ford near Roswell, began the moved toward Atlanta on a wide front, designed to . . . — Map (db m39359) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — Sandy Springs United Methodist Church Historic Cemetery
Formerly Sandy Springs Methodist Episcopal Church South Founded 1848 — Map (db m51422) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — The History of the City of Sandy Springs, Georgia
Sandy Springs, Georgia, the unincorporated community just north of Atlanta, began a 30-year campaign for incorporation when the City of Atlanta tried to annex the area in the 1970s. The Committee for Sandy Springs formed in 1975 to incorporate Sandy . . . — Map (db m53430) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-9 — To Sandy Springs and Old Cross Keys
Schofield’s 23rd A.C., the first of the Federal forces to cross the Chattahoochee River at Isom’s Ferry on July 8, remained on this ridge from July 8 to 17, 1864. On the 17th the corps began its march to make contact with McPherson’s Army of the . . . — Map (db m10525) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Union City — 060-169 — Shadnor Baptist Church
Organized in 1840 as New Hope Baptist Church; named changed to Shadnor, 1853. The original log structure that stood a short distance N. of present one, was a prominent landmark during the foray of Federal forces to cut the West Point R. R. in this . . . — Map (db m16709) HM

356 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 356 were listed. Previous 200
Paid Advertisement