Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Petersburg Virginia Historical Markers

 
Markers at Battery 9 image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2007
Markers at Battery 9
Virginia, Petersburg — “A Splendid Charge”
On Siege Road, on the left when traveling south.
Here at Petersburg on June 15, 1864, African-American troops recorded their first major success of the war in Virginia. “They made a splendid charge…and won great favor in the eyes of white soldiers by their courage and . . . — Map (db m7075) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — “A Stupendous Failure”
Near Siege Road.
“It is agreed that the thing was a perfect success, except that it did not succeed.” - Major Charles F. Adams, Jr., USA The explosion cleared the Union path to Petersburg. But instead of pushing through, the first waves of Union . . . — Map (db m7061) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — A Fatal Error
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
A division of African-American troops in Burnside’s Ninth Corps was to have led the attack that followed the explosion of the mine. But just hours before the assault, Union army commander George G. Meade changed the plan. The result: chaos and . . . — Map (db m7052) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — A Final Effort
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
Desperate to relieve the Union noose strangling Petersburg, on March 25, 1865, General Lee used pre-dawn darkness and stealth to pierce the Union Line here at Fort Steadman. “We were very much elated at first, as we thought we had won a . . . — Map (db m7035) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — A.P. Hill Death Site
Near Sentry Hill Ct..
Spot where A. P. Hill was killed. — Map (db m63392) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — African-Americans in Petersburg
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
The Petersburg area has an extraordinarily rich African-American heritage. In 1625, most of the Africans in Virginia were servants at Flowerdew Hundred, nearby in Prince George County. In the 18th century, tens of thousands of newly enslaved . . . — Map (db m57366) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Appomattox River Heritage Trail
On Fleet Street (Virginia Route 36) 0.1 miles north of Grove Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Trail Sites 1. Pocahontas: In 1784, four small towns at the convergence of three counties (Pocahontas in Chesterfield, Blandford in Prince George, and Petersburg and Ravenscroft in Dinwiddie) were combined and incorporated as . . . — Map (db m66952) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Architectural Heritage
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Petersburg’s architectural heritage has a long and rich history, reflecting centuries of occupation by Native Americans and over 300 years of European settlement. Beginning as a frontier trading post with the Virginia Indians, Fort Henry was . . . — Map (db m57338) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Artillery at Petersburg
Near Petersburg Tour Road, on the left when traveling north.
"The campaign became quite scientific, so that after the first few weeks, we learned to tell by the sound the nature of every missile that passed over us, and knew which ones to dodge. The mortar shells had the most terror for us. The ordinary . . . — Map (db m14602) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Arts & Recreation
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Petersburg is in the midst of a downtown renaissance, fueled by the arts and driven by the creative spirit of the community. Historically a center of culture and trade for the region, Petersburg’s abundant natural resources and rich history are . . . — Map (db m57369) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-9 — Battersea
On West Washington Street (U.S. 1) at Battersea Lane, on the right when traveling west on West Washington Street.
Battersea was the home of Colonel John Banister, a member of the House of Burgesses, the Revolutionary conventions, and the Continental Congress, as well as a framer of the Articles of Confederation and the first mayor of Petersburg. The elegant but . . . — Map (db m17624) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Battery 31Confederate Defense Line
On Coggin Street 0.1 miles north of Glenroy Street, in the median.
Part of the original Confederate defense line constructed in 1862 – 1863. On April 2, 1865, the battery located in this position took part in stopping a heavy Union attack at Fort Mahone, one third of a mile east. Severe fighting continued . . . — Map (db m17504) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Battery 45
On Defense Road/Fort Lee Road, on the left when traveling east.
Salient of Confederate Line Siege of Petersburg ---------- Erected Apr. 2, 1914 By A.P. Hill Camp S.C.V. — Map (db m7994) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Battery 5 of the Dimmock Line
Near Petersburg Tour Road, on the left when traveling north.
In 1862 – two years before the first Federals appeared at the city’s gates – Confederate Captain Charles Dimmock oversaw the construction of a ten-mile line of defensive works ringing Petersburg. In front of you is Battery 5 one of the . . . — Map (db m6899) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Battery 5 Trail
On Petersburg Tour Road, on the left when traveling north.
On the ground before you the first major attacks against Petersburg occurred. This bloodletting marked the beginning of nine months of siege. This 0.6-mile trail will take you through Battery 5 of the Confederate Dimmock Line, captured by the . . . — Map (db m14601) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Battery 8 of the Dimmock Line
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
On June 15, 1864, after seizing Battery 5, Union troops swept southward along the Dimmock Line. Men of the 1st and 22nd Colored Troops captured Battery 8, overcoming heavy resistance from part of Brig. Gen. Henry A. Wise’s Virginia brigade. By the . . . — Map (db m7029) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-12 — Battle of Petersburg
On Crater Road (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling north.
Here was fought the Battle of Petersburg, April 25, 1781. The Southside Militia, 1000 strong and commanded by Baron Steuben and General Muhlenberg, made a brave resistance to 2500 British Regulars under Phillips and Arnold. — Map (db m6540) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Battle of Petersburg
On Crater Road (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling north.
From Blandford Heights to Pocahontas Bridge April 25, 1781 Here was fought the opening engagement of the decisive campaign of the revolution. 1000 American militia under Steuben, Muhlenberg, Dick and House opposed 2500 British under Phillips, . . . — Map (db m6543) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-20 — Battle of Petersburg25 April 1781 — Artillery Position —
On S Little Church Street at E Washington Street (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling north on S Little Church Street.
On 25 Apr. 1781, Maj. Gen. Friedrich von Steuben’s 1,000 Virginia militiamen, driven from the eastern edge of Blandford, established a strong defensive line along the western summit (now Madison Street) above Lieutenant Run valley. Maj. Gen. William . . . — Map (db m14546) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-21 — Battle of Petersburg25 April 1781 — British Line of Attack —
On Washington Street (Virginia Route 36), on the right when traveling west.
On 24 Apr. 1781, Maj. Gen. William Phillips’s force of 2,500 British regulars landed at City Point, 12 miles to the east on the James River, as part of a major campaign to disrupt the American force’s main line of communication through Virginia. The . . . — Map (db m14552) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-24 — Battle of Petersburg25 April 1781 — Flanking Movement —
On Graham Road, on the right when traveling west.
About midday on 25 April 1781, Maj. Gen. William Phillips discovered that the right flank of the American militia, on the edge of Blandford was vulnerable to attack from the south and rear. He ordered Lt. Col. John Simcoe’s Queen’s Rangers and a . . . — Map (db m14558) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-22 — Battle of Petersburg25 April 1781 — East Hill —
On North Madison Street 0.1 miles north of East Washington Street (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling north.
To the west stood East Hill (Bollingbrook), home of the widow Mary Marshall Tabb Bolling. After the 25 Apr. 1781 Battle of Petersburg, British Maj. Gen. William Phillips and Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold located their headquarters at the house. The . . . — Map (db m17633) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-23 — Battle of Petersburg25 April 1781 — First Line Of Defense —
On East Bank Street at East Street, on the right when traveling west on East Bank Street.
On 25 Apr. 1781, American Brig. Gen. Peter Muhlenberg formed his first line of 500 Virginia militia here to meet the British. The line extended along East Street from the Appomattox River to present-day Washington Street and consisted of two . . . — Map (db m17634) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-25 — Battle of Petersburg25 April 1781 — Second Line Of Defense —
On North Madison Street 0.1 miles north of East Washington Street (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling north.
On 25 Apr. 1781, American Brig. Gen. Peter Muhlenberg’s Virginia militia fell back west from Blandford, under heavy British fire, to a prepared line of defense here along the crest of this hill. This second line of Virginia militia, consisting of . . . — Map (db m17635) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Battle of the Crater - Covered Way
On South Crater Road (U.S. 301) 0.1 miles from Stratford Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
At this place located by participants in the Battle of the Crater, this road, known as the Jerusalem Plank Road, was crossed by a covered way leading eastwardly to the ravine in rear of the Confederate breastworks which run northwardly from . . . — Map (db m17579) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-31 — Bishop Payne Divinity School
On Halifax Street at Farmer Street, on the left when traveling south on Halifax Street.
The Bishop Payne Divinity School began here in 1878 at the St. Stephen's Episcopal Church Normal and Industrial School. For 71 years it prepared black men for the ministry in the church. Giles B. Cooke (1838-1937) headed the vocational school and . . . — Map (db m74017) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Blandford ChurchIn Harm’s Way
On Crater Road (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling north.
This church, built circa 1737, was in ruins at the time of the Civil War. Nonetheless, located behind Gracie’s, Colquitt’s and Elliott’s Salients in the Confederate defense lines, the structure served as a temporary field hospital during the . . . — Map (db m6516) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-11 — Blandford Church and Cemetery
On Crater Road (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling north.
The brick church on Well’s Hill, now known as Old Blandford Church, was built between 1734 and 1737, the British General Phillips was buried in the churchyard in 1781. In the cemetery is a monument to Captain McRae and the Petersburg Volunteers, who . . . — Map (db m6538) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-8 — Bollingbrook Hotel
On 2nd Street (U.S. 1) at Pelham Street, on the right when traveling north on 2nd Street.
After a fire destroyed John Niblo's tavern in 1827, Niblo assembled a group of investors who constructed on this site in 1828 the three-story Bollingbrook Hotel, attributed to Otis Manson. The hotel became known as "one of the best taverns in the . . . — Map (db m17130) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Campbell's BridgeVital Crossing — Lee's Retreat —
On Fleet Street (State Highway 36), on the right when traveling north.
When General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia began its retreat from Petersburg and Richmond on the evening of April 2, 1865, part of the army crossed the Appomattox River at Campbell's Bridge here. Other columns crossed the river on three . . . — Map (db m14593) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA 38 — Charles Stewart(ca. 1808-After 1884)
On Sapony Street at Pocahontas Street, on the left when traveling north on Sapony Street.
Charles Stewart, horseman, was born into slavery near Petersburg and spent part of his childhood on Pocahontas Island. At or about age 12 he was sold to William R. Johnson, one of the foremost figures in horse racing, the America’s most popular . . . — Map (db m130190) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — City Sights
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Petersburg. Appamattuck Indian Fish Traps, Appomattox River near Old Town. Considered to be the largest and most intact fish dams in Virginia, these sturgeon dams are made of loose stones forming a series of v-shaped tunnels by . . . — Map (db m57324) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Col. George W. Gowen Monument
On South Crater Road (U.S. 301) at South Sycamore Street, on the right when traveling south on South Crater Road.
Erected by the surviving Comrades, school children and Citizens of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, and dedicated to The memory of the dead of The 48th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. Col. George W. Gowen, Killed in . . . — Map (db m17528) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Colquitt’s Salient
Near Siege Road 1.6 miles south of East Washington Street (Virginia Route 36).
On June 18 1864 the Confederates on this hill repulsed the charge of the First Maine Regiment On March 25 1865 from this salient General John B. Gordon led a body of picked men to surprise and capture Fort Steadman — Map (db m37414) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Colquitt’s Salient Trail
Near Siege Road 1.6 miles south of East Washington Street.
The Colquitt’s Salient loop trail will lead you over ground involved with two of the most dramatic events of the Siege of Petersburg. On the walk to Colquitt’s Salient, you will shadow the advance of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery during its . . . — Map (db m37410) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Concrete Bunker
On Pike Street at North Market Street, on the left when traveling west on Pike Street.
This monument stone sits on a 10’ deep concrete bunker that was discovered during construction, together with portions of an abandoned railroad track. The bunker was used to store coal for the furnaces in the large buildings which once stood on the . . . — Map (db m48485) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Confederate Battery 6
On Petersburg Tour Road, on the right when traveling north.
This battery fell to the Union forces on June 15, 1864. — Map (db m14618) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Confederate Counterattack
Near Siege Road.
“I counted 21 Union flags flying from the Crater and these works. The sight gave me no hope of ever getting away alive.” - Capt. James E. Phillips, 12th Virginia Infantry Union disorganization gave the Confederates the time they . . . — Map (db m7062) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Confederate Countermine
Near Siege Road 0.4 miles east of South Crater Road (U.S. 460).
Suspecting a Union mine, the Confederates dug two listening galleries here. They narrowly missed striking the Union tunnel, which was deeper. The depressions you see were caused by the cave-in of these galleries. — Map (db m37417) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-26 — Corling's Corner
On North Sycamore Street at West Bank Street, on the right when traveling south on North Sycamore Street.
By the 1820s, Petersburg was developing into a major industrial city. The backbone of the city's workforce was enslaved labor. At this highly visible downtown intersection known as Corling's Corner, local manufacturers, railroad companies, building . . . — Map (db m17640) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — S-43 — Cottage Farm
On Boydton Plank Road at Defense Road, in the median on Boydton Plank Road.
A little north stood the McIlwaine home, Lee's field headquarters whence on the afternoon of April 2, 1865, the evacuation of Richmond and Petersburg was ordered. Upon issuing the order Lee granted leave to his only staff officer to go to Richmond . . . — Map (db m17555) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Courthouse
Near Courthouse Avenue at North Sycamore Street.
This Greek Revival building was constructed between 1838 and 1840 and designed by New York architect Calvin Pollard as the city’s Husting’s Courthouse. The term “hustings” derives from a British form of court system loosely in place in . . . — Map (db m17656) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Crater of Mine
Near Siege Road 0.4 miles east of South Crater Road (U.S. 460).
Excavated by The 48th Regt. Penn. Vet. Vol. Inf. Burnside's 9th Corps, July 30, 1864. — Map (db m37416) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Dash into the Crater4:45 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.
Near Siege Road 0.4 miles east of South Crater Road (U.S. 301), on the right when traveling south.
On the morning of July 30th, 1864, the Union high command became anxious as to why the mine under the Confederate position, had not been sprung. While General Meade was sending dispatches to General Burnside asking when the mine would detonate, at . . . — Map (db m80572) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Defending Fort Haskell
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
Daylight on March 25, 1865, brought furious fighting to Fort Haskell. “Our thin line mounted the banquette – the wounded and sick loading the muskets, while those with sound hands stood to the parapets and blazed away.” . . . — Map (db m7032) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Dictator
Near Petersburg Tour Road, on the left when traveling north.
Sept. 1864: “…the enemy frequently shoot very large shells into Petersburg & do some damage to buildings, but the people are getting used to it, so they don’t mind them….” - A.I.P. Varin 2nd Mississippi Famous but militarily . . . — Map (db m6896) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Digging the Mine
Near Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
“We could blow that damn fort out of existence if we could run a mine shaft under it.” - A private of the 48th Pennsylvania June 23, 1864 Spurred by the offhand suggestion of a former coal miner, on June 25, 1864, Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m7067) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Dividing Point
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
Twice during the Siege of Petersburg, Harrison’s Creek became a dividing point between contending armies. June 15, 1864 After being driven out of the Dimmock Line, the outnumbered Confederate defenders of Petersburg formed a new line on . . . — Map (db m7030) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — 12 — Earliest Known Public High School for African Americans in VirginiaPetersburg, Virginia
On Harrison Street at Maple Lane, on the left when traveling south on Harrison Street.
Petersburg established a public school system in 1868, two years before the state’s mandate. Colored Elementary School #1 was conducted in the old church building of the African Baptist Church, which stood to your left. The building had been . . . — Map (db m26011) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — S-76 — Early English Exploration
On North Sycamore Street at West Old Street (Virginia Route 36), on the right when traveling north on North Sycamore Street.
In 1650 Fort Henry, now Petersburg, marked the western and southern extent of English settlement in, and knowledge of, Virginia. On 27 Aug. 1650, Edward Bland, merchant and land speculator, and Abraham Wood, frontier militia commander, left Fort . . . — Map (db m1994) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-13 — East Hill
On 4th Street at E Bank Street, on the right when traveling north on 4th Street.
On the hilltop to the south is the site of East Hill, also known as Bollingbrook. There the British General Phillips, Benedict Arnold and Lord Cornwallis stayed in April and May, 1781. The house was bombarded by Lafayette, May 10, 1781. There . . . — Map (db m14565) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Fight for the Weldon Railroad
On Halifax Road (County Route 604) at Flank Road (County Route 676), on the right when traveling south on Halifax Road.
After failing to bludgeon his way into Petersburg in June and July, Grant decided to strangle the city instead. His plan: cut the railroads into Petersburg - cut the Confederate's lifelines. On August 18, Maj. Gen. Gouverneur Warren's Union Fifth . . . — Map (db m78952) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — First Battle of PetersburgKautz’s Effort Stopped Here — Lee vs. Grant – The 1864 Campaign —
On Graham Road at West Roy Smith Drive, on the right when traveling west on Graham Road.
In May 1864, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant launched attacks on Confederate armies across the South. He accompanied Gen. George G. Meade’s Army of the Potomac as it fought Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia from the Wilderness to Cold Harbor. . . . — Map (db m14569) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — First Maine Heavy Artillery Monument
Near Siege Road 1.6 miles south of East Washington Street (Virginia Route 36).
(front) Maine. First Heavy Artillery in memory of 604 brave members who fell charging here June 18, 1864 Union Maine - Virginia Peace (rear) Members of the First Maine Heavy Artillery who were . . . — Map (db m37412) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-1 — Folly Castle
On West Washington Street (U.S. 1) at Perry Street, on the right when traveling west on West Washington Street.
This house was the town home of Peter Jones, who built it in 1763. It was called "Folly Castle" because it was a large house for a childless man, but Jones later had offspring. Major Erasmus Gill, Revolutionary soldier, also lived here. . . . — Map (db m17613) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-15 — Formation of the Southern Methodist Church
On East Washington Street (U.S. 1) 0.1 miles west of South Adams Street (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling west.
One block west stood the Union Street Methodist Church, completed in 1820. There was held the first general conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, May 1-23, 1846. At this meeting the Southern Methodist Church, which had separated from . . . — Map (db m17626) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Fort DavisUnion Stronghold
On Flank Road at Crater Road (Highway 301), on the right when traveling south on Flank Road.
After four days of unsuccessful trying to capture Petersburg by direct assault on June 15-18, 1864, Gen. U.S. Grant’s Union army began siege operations against the city. Grant’s immediate objective was to cut one of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s supply . . . — Map (db m5824) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Fort Davis
On Crater Road (U.S. 301), on the right when traveling south.
On this site in June, 1864 General U.S. Grant gained control of the Jerusalem Plank Road. — Map (db m14658) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Fort HaysA Silent Witness
On Flank Road, on the right when traveling west.
The land on which Fort Hays is built was fought over on June 22, 1864, when the Union army first attempted to cut one of Lee’s vital rail supply lines, the Petersburg Railroad (usually called the Weldon Railroad) located about three miles west. . . . — Map (db m3765) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-6 — Fort Henry
On North South Street at West Washington Street (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south on North South Street.
Four blocks north is the traditional site of Fort Henry, established under the Act of 1645. In 1646 the fort was leased by Abraham Wood. From it, in 1650, Wood and Edmund Bland set out on an exploring expedition; and, in 1671, Batts and Fallam on . . . — Map (db m17623) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Fort Stedman
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
It is quite interesting to see a fort going up. The men work in the manner of bees. The mass throw the earth; the engineer soldiers do the ‘rivetting,’ that is, the interior facing the logs. The engineer sergeants run about with tapes and stakes, . . . — Map (db m7031) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Fort Stedman
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
In the last grand offensive movement of Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, Fort Stedman, with adjacent works, was captured at 4:30 A.M., March 25, 1865, by a well selected body of Confederates, under the command of General John B. Gordon. An advance . . . — Map (db m7033) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Fort Wadsworth
On Halifax Road (County Route 604) at Flank Road (County Route 676), on the right when traveling south on Halifax Road.
Built following the Battle of the Weldon Railroad in August 1864, Fort Wadsworth anchored the extreme left of the Union siege lines for more than a month. It secured the the Union grip on the Petersburg & Weldon Railroad - a major Confederate supply . . . — Map (db m14673) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-7 — General Lee's Headquarters
On West Washington Street (U.S. 1) at Lafayette Street, on the right when traveling west on West Washington Street.
Three blocks north and a half a block west is the Beasley House where General Robert E. Lee had his second headquarters in 1864 during the siege of Petersburg. He moved thence to Edge Hill to be in closer touch with his right wing. . . . — Map (db m17544) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-2 — Golden Ball Tavern
On West Old Street at North Market Street on West Old Street.
Here stood a dwelling house, constructed about 1764 by prosperous tobacco merchant, Richard Hanson, who, as a fervent Loyalist, fled Virginia in 1776. During the latter part of the Revolution, the structure became known as the Golden Ball Tavern. . . . — Map (db m17618) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-19 — Grace Episcopal Church
On High Street at Cross Street, on the right when traveling west on High Street.
The third home of Grace Church, a brick Gothic Revival-style building, stood on this site from 1859 to 1960. The congregation was founded in 1841 by Dr. Churchhill Jones Gibson, rector until 1892. In 1928 a majority of the members, led by the . . . — Map (db m17632) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Gracie’s Salient
Near Siege Road 1.6 miles south of East Washington Street (Virginia Route 36).
This salient named for Brig.-Genl. Archibald Gracie of Alabama, faced the Federal Forts Stedman and Haskell and was successfully held by the Confederates during the entire siege of Petersburg. — Map (db m37415) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-16 — Graham Road
On South Crater Road (U.S. 301) at Graham Road, on the right when traveling south on South Crater Road.
On June 9, 1864, Kautz's Union cavalry, 1300 men, after overwhelming Archer's militia, one mile south, moved westward on this road to attack the city. Upon the hillside, one mile west, they were repulsed by the battery of Captain Edward Graham, and . . . — Map (db m17627) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-17 — Graham Road
On Graham Road at Clinton Street, on the right when traveling east on Graham Road.
Upon this site, on June 9, 1864, Captain Edward Graham, commanding two guns of the Petersburg Artillery, repulsed the attack of Kautz's cavalry, 1300 men. And by this gallant defense the city was saved. Later the Union forces were driven to retreat . . . — Map (db m17628) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Hagood’s BrigadeA.N.V. — C.S.A. —
On Halifax Road (County Route 604) at Flank Road (County Route 676), on the left when traveling north on Halifax Road.
Here a brigade composed of the 7th battalion, the 11th, 21st, 25th and 27th regiments South Carolina Volunteers, commanded by Brig. Gen. Johnson Hagood, charged Warren’s Federal Army Corps, on the 21st day of August 1864, taking into the fight 749 . . . — Map (db m7954) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Hare House Site
Near Siege Road 1.6 miles from East Washington Street (Virginia Route 36).
About this house swirled the tide of battle on June 18, 1864, and during “Lee’s Last Grand Offensive,” March 25, 1865. — Map (db m37411) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Infantry Earthworks
On Siege Road, on the left when traveling south.
“Attacking entrenchments has been tried so often and with such fearful losses that even the stupidest private now knows that it cannot succeed, and the natural consequence follows; the men will not try it. The very sight of a bank of earth . . . — Map (db m7085) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Jordon Family Cemetery
On Petersburg Tour Road, on the right when traveling north.
Buried with his parents are Josiah Jordan, his wife, Mary and four of their children - Watson, 10 months, Laura, 3 years, Charles, 4 months, and Lemuel, 24 years. This land was Josiah's farm at the time of the siege. — Map (db m14617) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-36 — Joseph Cotten(1905-1994)
On West Washington Street (U.S. 1) at Guarantee Street, on the left when traveling west on West Washington Street.
Joseph Cotten, actor, was born in Petersburg. At school he excelled in football and on the stage. He appeared in several Broadway productions during the 1930s and joined Orson Welles’s Mercury Theater company. Cotten made his film debut in 1941 . . . — Map (db m102266) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Joseph Jenkins Roberts
On W. Wythe Street (U.S. 1) at S. Sycamore Street, on the left when traveling east on W. Wythe Street.
[Southwest face:] Resident of Petersburg 1815-1829 First President of the Republic of Liberia 1848-1855 + 1871-1876 [Northeast face:] Joseph Jenkins Roberts worked on Union Street, about 100 yards northwest of here. . . . — Map (db m16004) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-33 — Joshua L. Chamberlain Promoted “On The Spot”
On Winfield Road (Business U.S. 460) at County Drive, on the right when traveling west on Winfield Road.
In this vicinity on 18 June 1864 Col. Joshua L. Chamberlain received a near-fatal wound while leading a Union brigade in a charge against Confederate works defending Petersburg. Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant promoted him to Brig. Gen. of Vols. “on . . . — Map (db m79063) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Ladies Confederate Hospital
On Bollingbrook Street at 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on Bollingbrook Street.
Original building of the Ladies Confederate Hospital 1862—1865 — Map (db m48466) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Lest We Forget
On South Sycamore Street (U.S. 301) at North Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on South Sycamore Street.
. . . — Map (db m17642) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Lincoln In PetersburgLast Meeting
On South Market Street at Brown Street, on the left when traveling south on South Market Street.
After Union forces secured Petersburg on April 3, 1865, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant established his headquarters here at the Thomas Wallace House. He sent word to President Abraham Lincoln at City Point that Petersburg had fallen and invited Lincoln to . . . — Map (db m48442) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Lincoln In PetersburgPresidential Visit to Centre Hill
On Centre Hill Court 0.1 miles north of Franklin Street, on the left when traveling north.
At noon on April 7, 1865, President Abraham Lincoln and his party left City Point for Petersburg in a special train on the newly repaired City Point Railroad, arriving in the city half an hour later. His wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, and their young son, . . . — Map (db m48656) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Lincoln In PetersburgTears at Fort Mahone
On Wakefield Street at Goodrich Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Wakefield Street.
On the morning of April 3, 1865, President Abraham Lincoln awoke at City Point to the news that Petersburg had fallen just hours before. He immediately arranged to visit the city and meet with Gen. Ulysses S. Grant that morning. Lincoln and his . . . — Map (db m48662) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA 39 — Lt. Col. Howard Baugh, Tuskegee Airman
On West Old Street at North Sycamore Street (Virginia Route 36), on the right when traveling east on West Old Street.
Howard Baugh (1920-2008) was born and raised in Petersburg. He graduated from what is now Virginia State University in 1941, joined the U.S. Army Air Corps, and completed pilot training at Tuskegee Army Air Field in 1942. Deployed to Sicily with the . . . — Map (db m130185) HM WM
Virginia, Petersburg — Mahone
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling west.
To the memory of William Mahone Major General C.S.A. A distinguished Confederate commander, whose valor and strategy at the Battle of the Crater, July 30, 1864 won for himself and his gallant brigade undying fame. A citizen of Petersburg, Virginia, . . . — Map (db m6752) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Mahone’s Brigade
On Siege Rd, on the right when traveling south.
This stone marks the approximately the extreme right of Mahone’s Brigade Virginia Volunteers when it captured the Confederate Breastworks on the 30th of July, 1864. Placed by the Petersburg Chapter U.D.C. November 1910. — Map (db m7034) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Major Peter Jones
On North Market Street at Grove Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North Market Street.
Site of Trading Station of Major Peter Jones. About 1675. Owner of Peters Point. Afterwards Petersburg. Frances Bland Randolph Chapter D.A.R. 1909. — Map (db m17641) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Massachusetts
On Siege Road at South Crater Road (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling west on Siege Road.
(Front):In memory of the soldiers and sailors from Massachusetts who lost their lives in the armies of the Potomac and James in various battles in Virginia 1861 - 1865 This monument erected by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (Back): . . . — Map (db m14619) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — McKenney House
On South Sycamore Street (U.S. 301) at Marshall Street, on the left when traveling south on South Sycamore Street.
The McKenney House was originally constructed as a residence for Mayor John Dodson in 1859. It was the residence of Confederate General William Mahone after the Civil War. The property was purchased by William R. McKenney in early 1911. The McKenney . . . — Map (db m17652) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — 13 — McKenney LibraryPetersburg, Virginia
On South Sycamore Street (U.S. 301) at Marshall Street, on the left when traveling south on South Sycamore Street.
Petersburg's main public library, the William R. McKenney Library, is housed in a fine dwelling constructed in 1859 by John Dodson, a prominent lawyer and mayor of Petersburg. After the Civil War, the Confederate General and railroad magnate . . . — Map (db m20609) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Monotonous Toil
On Siege Road, on the left when traveling south.
“The romance of a soldier’s life disappears in a siege. The change of scenery and the lively marches are gone, and the same monotonous unvaried rounds of toil take their place. Sunday and weekday are all alike.” T.M. Blythe 50th . . . — Map (db m7079) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — North Carolina Confederate Hospital
On Brown Street at Perry Street, on the right when traveling west on Brown Street.
Site of the Confederate Hospital for soldiers from North Carolina 1861-1865 — Map (db m48468) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — ObstructionsThe Military Encampment — Pamplin Historical Park —
Near Boydton Plank Road (U.S. 1) 0.2 miles south of Duncan Road (Virginia Route 670), on the left when traveling south.
Obstructions, like the reproductions displayed here, played an important role in Civil War field fortifications. These obstacles broke the forward momentum of assaulting troops and maximized and attacker’s exposure to the defenders’ fire. . . . — Map (db m69935) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Old Market Square
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Appomattox Point & the Indian Trade In the 1600s, just north of the present day market, the Appomattox River took a sharp turn around a horn of land known as Appomattox Point. The Quaker Indian traders Robert Hix and John Evans set up a . . . — Map (db m57327) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Old Men and Boys of Petersburg
On South Crater Road (U.S. 301) 0.1 miles south of East South Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.
This stone marks the spot where the Old Men and Boys of Petersburg under Gen. R.E. Colston and Col. F.H. Archer 125 strong on June 9th, 1864 distinguished themselves in a fight with 1300 Federal cavalry under Gen. Kautz gaining time for the . . . — Map (db m17521) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office
On West Tabb Street at North Union Street, on the left when traveling west on West Tabb Street.
Built of Petersburg granite and constructed between 1856 and 1860, the U.S. Customs House and Post Office was designed by Ammi B. Young, architect of the U.S. Treasury Department building in Washington D.C. The decision to add the third story was . . . — Map (db m17653) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Opportunity Lost
Near Petersburg Tour Road, on the left when traveling north.
“At that hour, Petersburg was clearly at the mercy of the Federal commander, who had all but captured it.” - Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, CSA Confederate Commander, June 15, 1864 “Deeming that I held important points of the . . . — Map (db m6900) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Pamplin Historical Park
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Pamplin Historical Park & The National Museum of the Civil War Soldier “Walk along these fortifications, take the time to learn something about the story of what happened here, use the museum to understand who these men were, and the . . . — Map (db m57351) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Pamplin Historical ParkThe Bivouac Monument
Near Duncan Road.
Pamplin Historical Park & The National Museum Of the Civil War Soldier Base of Sculpture: My Thoughts And Heart Are With You At Home, But My Duty Lies Here With Cause And Comrades Back of . . . — Map (db m86077) WM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-27 — Peabody High School(1870-1970)
On Harrison Street at Liberty Street, on the left when traveling south on Harrison Street.
Peabody High School, originally the Colored High School, was established in 1870 in the old First Baptist Church located on Harrison Street. The second school was built here on this site facing Filmore Street. The current site of the school is on . . . — Map (db m65662) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Pennsylvania Monument3rd Div. 9th Corps, Army of the Potomac
On Wakefield Street 0.1 miles from Goodrich Avenue, in the median.
Bermuda Hundred Weldon Raid Hatcher’s Run Petersburg Fort Stedman Fort Mahone — Map (db m17537) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Peter Jones Trading Station
On North Market Street at Pike Street, on the right when traveling south on North Market Street.
Of rubble stone construction, this building appears to have been built sometime between 1650 and 1750. Its type of construction is unique to the Fall Zone where stone can be quarried from the building site’s environs. Between 1785 and 1791 the . . . — Map (db m48483) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Peter Jones Trading Station
On North Market Street at Pike Street, on the right when traveling south on North Market Street.
The building before you was built as part of a trading station set up during the middle of the 17th century by Peter Jones I and his father-in-law Major General Abraham Wood. The building is known variously as Peter Jones Trading Station, Peter . . . — Map (db m48484) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Peter Jones Trading Station
On North Market Street at Grove Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Market Street.
You are looking into the bowels of this building from near the attic downward to the second, first, and basement levels. You see a massive, rubble-stone structure with stone walls approximately 2’8” thick at the basement level which taper . . . — Map (db m48488) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg Breakthrough Battlefield
On Duncan Road (Virginia Route 670), on the left when traveling south.
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. In the predawn darkness of April 2, 1865, the Union Sixth Corps successfully breached the . . . — Map (db m6253) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg DefensesBatteries 35-38
Near Defense Road at Baylors Lane, on the right when traveling east.
You are facing Battery 37 in the 10-mile-long Confederate defensive line constructed between 1862 and 1864 east and south of Petersburg. Named the Dimmock Line for supervising engineer Capt. Charles H. Dimmock, it consisted of trenches linking 55 . . . — Map (db m17508) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg Museums
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Blandford Church Blandford Church was built in 1735 as the seat of worship for colonists who were members of the Anglican Church. The church building was abandoned in 1806 when membership in its congregation dwindled as a result of the . . . — Map (db m57352) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg National Battlefield
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Beginning on June 15, 1864, less than three miles east of where you are standing, 18,000 Union troops attacked the Confederate line of defensive fortifications surrounding the city. When all attempts to take the city by direct assault failed by June . . . — Map (db m57350) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg Region
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
The Petersburg Area. Throughout this are you will find attractions for the entire family, from museum houses and gardens to a zoo, from fine dining to camping, from Civil War Trails and battlefields to white-water kayaking. Charles . . . — Map (db m57322) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg Volunteers 1812
On Centre Hill Court north of Franklin Street, on the left when traveling north.
This tree is dedicated in honor of the Petersburg Volunteers who left this site on Oct. 21, 1812 to fight the British at Fort Meigs, in the Ohio Territory. — Map (db m48668) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg’s Natural Parks
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Lee Park Typical of the uniquely American “wilderness” tradition of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Lee Park was developed with an emphasis on natural scenery and native flora as a symbol of local pride and a . . . — Map (db m57343) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg’s Old Towne
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Virginia Indian Trade You are standing in the oldest part of Petersburg, known today as Old Towne. In 1646, Fort Henry was established here, along the colonial frontier, to protect settlers in the region and to capitalize on trade with the . . . — Map (db m57326) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg’s Role In Trade
On North Market Street at Grove Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North Market Street.
Immediately to your right is a mural adapted from a drawing by William Waud which appeared in Harper’s Magazine during the Civil War. The mural is an artist’s impression of the Petersburg waterfront on the Appomattox River - probably at City Dock . . . — Map (db m48482) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — PocahontasThe Revolutionary War
On Pocahontas Street at Bridge Street, on the right when traveling north on Pocahontas Street.
Positions in the Battle of Petersburg On 25 April 1781, this part of the community of Pocahontas served as the rear guard staging area for American Major General Frederick von Steuben’s Virginia militia in their defense of Petersburg against . . . — Map (db m26831) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-35 — Pocahontas Island
On Sapony Street at Pocahontas Street, on the left when traveling north on Sapony Street.
The town of Pocahontas, established in 1752, became part of Petersburg in 1784. By 1860, more members of the city’s large free African American community lived here than in any other neighborhood. Their work in tobacco factories and on wharves . . . — Map (db m88809) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-5 — Poplar Lawn
On South Sycamore Street (U.S. 301) at East Fillmore Street, on the right when traveling north on South Sycamore Street.
Poplar Lawn is now known as Central Park. Here the Petersburg Volunteers camped in October 1812, before leaving for the Canadian border. Here Lafayette was greeted with music and speeches in 1824. The place was bought by the city in 1844. Volunteer . . . — Map (db m17621) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Prelude to the Crater
On Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
“The mine is all finished, the powder in, the fuse all ready. I hope that the attack will be successful, for if it is, we shall have Petersburg in our possession.” - Col. Stephen M. Weld, 50th Massachusetts July 28, 1864 The . . . — Map (db m7054) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Prince George Court House Road
Near Siege Road, on the left.
This trail follows the old road which ran between Petersburg and Prince George Court House. It was used by both armies to move men and supplies. — Map (db m7093) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Prince George Court House Road
Near Siege Road 1.6 miles south of East Washington Street (Virginia Route 36).
This old road was used by both Confederate and Union Armies in the fighting around Petersburg. — Map (db m37409) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-37 — Prince Hall Masons in Virginia
On Harrison Street south of College Place, on the right when traveling south.
In March 1775, a Masonic lodge attached to the British army initiated Prince Hall and 14 other free black men as Freemasons in Massachusetts. Meeting provisionally as African Lodge No. 1, the black Freemasons gained full privileges in 1787 when they . . . — Map (db m103874) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Rock Garden
Near Grove Avenue at North Market Street, on the right when traveling west.
The disastrous fire of 1980 destroyed the roof and interior wood components of the building which caused the huge stone walls to collapse mostly into the interior. Approximately 4,700 cubic feet of stone waIls were a part of the rubble. A view of . . . — Map (db m48487) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Rohoic Dam
On Dupoy Road north of Boydton Plank Road (Virginia Route 142), on the left when traveling north.
Erected by Genl. R.E. Lee Aug. 1864 — Map (db m65663) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Second Pennsylvania Veteran Heavy Artillery
Near Siege Road 0.4 miles east of South Crater Road (U.S. 460).
The Advance Position 2nd Pa. Vet. Heavy Art. July 30, 1864. Went into action July 30, 1864, 780 men - answered roll call. After battle 286 men; Lost killed and wounded 494 men, including 8 officers. — Map (db m37418) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Siege of Petersburg—Grant's Fourth OffensiveAugust 18-21, 1864 Battle of Weldon Railroad
On Halifax Road (Virginia Route 604) at Flank Road, on the left when traveling north on Halifax Road.
Union General Ulysses S. Grant pursued a strategy of two-pronged attacks on Petersburg and the Confederate capital at Richmond. Grant first attacked Lee's positions around Richmond and struck again south of Petersburg. By the end of Grant's fourth . . . — Map (db m78098) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Siege of Petersburg—Lee Strikes BackMarch 25, 1865 Battle of Fort Stedman to Battle of Jones Farm
On Siege Road 2.4 miles south of Oaklawn Boulevard (Virginia Route 36), on the right when traveling south.
By March 1865 Confederate General Robert E. Lee had suffered through nearly nine months of fighting, had repulsed seven Union offensives, and had his men spread along a 37-mile-long front. Knowing that it was only a matter of time before his lines . . . — Map (db m85861) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — South Carolina
Near Siege Road, on the right when traveling west.
On this hill for one month South Carolina troops guarded the entrance to Petersburg and here July 30, 1864, suffered death from a mine exploded by the Federals. Here the surviving Carolinians under the command of Stephen Elliott by their valor . . . — Map (db m6751) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — South Side StationThe Retreat Begins
On Cockade Alley at River Street, on the right when traveling north on Cockade Alley.
Begin the 26-stop auto driving tour of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Retreat from Petersburg to Appomattox at this point. The tour covers over 100 miles and takes approximately four to five hours to complete. A map can be obtained at the nearby Visitors . . . — Map (db m3592) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — South Side StationBeginning of the End — Lee vs. Grant - The 1864 Campaign —
On Cockade Alley at River Street, on the right on Cockade Alley.
This original South Side Railroad station, the oldest such building in the state, was built around 1854 when the line was completed from Petersburg westward to Lynchburg, a distance of 123 miles. An express train could run this distance in five . . . — Map (db m3593) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-10 — St. Paul's Church
On North Union Street 0.1 miles south of West Tabb Street, on the right when traveling south.
St. Paul's Church was built in 1856. Here Robert E. Lee and his staff worshipped during the siege of Petersburg, 1864-65. Lee attended the wedding of his son, W.H.F. Lee, in this church in 1867. Virginia Conservation & Development . . . — Map (db m17625) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Tavern Park
Near Grove Avenue at North Market Street, on the left when traveling east.
You are standing within Lot Number One of the Old town of Petersburg, as laid out for Abraham Jones, Jr., in December of 1783. The first owner was William Byrd II of Westover. William Pride purchased the lot in 1745, and, entrepreneur that he was, . . . — Map (db m48486) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — The Battle at the BridgeThe Revolutionary War
On Pocahontas Street 0.1 miles west of 3rd Steet, on the right when traveling west.
25 April 1781 In the late afternoon and evening of 24 April 1781, Virginia militia regiments of Brigadier General Peter Muhlenberg’s Corps of about 1,000 men marched into Petersburg in order to counter an expected attack by the invading . . . — Map (db m26829) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — The Crater
Near Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
“There was utmost consternation. Some men scampered out of the lines; some, paralyzed with fear, vaguely scratched at the counterscarp as if trying to escape. Smoke and dust filled the air.” - Col. William McMaster, 17th South . . . — Map (db m7058) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-18 — The First Methodist Meeting House
On Fleet Street at Grove Avenue (Virginia Route 36), on the right when traveling north on Fleet Street.
The first Methodist Meeting House in Petersburg was a theatre on West Old Street near the river rented by Gressett Davis. Robert Williams, a follower of John Wesley, came to Petersburg to preach in 1773 at the invitation of Davis and Nathaniel . . . — Map (db m26014) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — 14 — The Peabody-Williams SchoolPetersburg, Virginia
On South Jones Street 0.1 miles south of Lee Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
Disrupted by the convulsions of the First World War, efforts to replace the increasingly inadequate Peabody School on Fillmore Street stretched out from 1913 until 1920, when the new Peabody-Williams School opened on Jones Street. Charles . . . — Map (db m26012) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — The Petersburg Campaign1864-1865 — Petersburg National Battlefield —
On Siege Road.
In 1864, the Union Army’s plan was to press relentlessly and destroy Lee’s Army. On May 4, Grant crossed the Rapidan and started south. Unable to accomplish his objective at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania and Cold Harbor, he nevertheless succeeded in . . . — Map (db m100716) WM
Virginia, Petersburg — The Revolutionary War in Petersburg
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
On April 25, 1871, a British army force of 2,500 soldiers under the command of Genera! William PhilIips attacked Petersburg, hoping to capture the American military supplies here and eventually link up with General Cornwallis’ army coming to . . . — Map (db m57368) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — The Siege of Petersburg
On Petersburg Tour Road 0.1 miles north of Oaklawn Boulevard (Virginia Highway 36), on the left when traveling north.
"I would not believe before I came here that man was capable of enduring so much." -Lawrence Bradley, 1st Mass. Heavy Artillery If Petersburg fell, the Confederate capital at Richmond would fall too. Grant knew it; Lee knew it. And for nine . . . — Map (db m14600) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Touring Old Towne
On East Old Street at Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street.
Today, Old Towne Petersburg is alive with reminders of four centuries of American history and thousands of years of Native American habitation. With a growing mix of residential, commercial, and industrial uses, new life is being infused into the . . . — Map (db m57325) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-14 — Two Noted Homes
On West Washington Street (U.S. 1) at North Market Street, on the left when traveling west on West Washington Street.
Half a block south is the home of Major General William Mahone, famed for his gallant conduct at the Battle of the Crater, July 30, 1864. Two blocks south is the Wallace Home, where Abraham Lincoln conferred with General Grant, April 3, 1865, . . . — Map (db m17553) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — U.S. Colored Troops
On Siege Road, on the left when traveling south.
In memory of the valorous service of Regiments and Companies of the U.S. Colored Troops Army of the James and Army of the Potomac Siege of Petersburg 1864 – 65 — Map (db m7081) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Uprooted by War
Near Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
“Every tree, stump, and fence has disappeared… What was once verdant is now a wasteland of dust and dirt.” - John Haley, 17th Maine Infantry January 26, 1865 The gentle depression in front of you is the only vestige of the . . . — Map (db m7092) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Ventilation Shaft
Near Siege Road, on the right when traveling south.
“Regular Army wiseacres said it was not feasible – that I could not carry the ventilation that distance without digging a hole to the surface… But I have succeeded.” - Lt. Col. Henry Pleasants, 48th Pennsylvania July 23, . . . — Map (db m7068) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Waiting Their TurnPetersburg National Battlefield
On Siege Road 0.8 miles east of South Crater Road (Route 301), on the left when traveling west.
By 6:00 am on July 30, 1864 the trenches before you were filled with black Union soldiers waiting to enter the Battle of the Crater. Ahead of them in line were white Union troops struggling to advance because of Confederate fire and the . . . — Map (db m102265) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Wasted Valor
Near Siege Road 1.6 miles from East Washington Street (Virginia Route 36).
On the plain below you, the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery enacted one of the tragic dramas of the Civil War. “The field became a burning, seething, crashing, hissing hell, in which human courage, flesh and bone were struggling with an . . . — Map (db m37413) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-30 — Weddell-McCabe-Chisholm House
On South Sycamore Street (U.S. 301) south of College Place, on the right when traveling south.
Scottish emigrant James Weddell (1807-1865) built this Greek Revival house about 1845 and lived there until his death. In 1865, Capt. W. Gordon McCabe (1841-1920) bought the house. Over the second half of the 19th century, he published many works on . . . — Map (db m65661) HM

143 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement