Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Texas Independence War Historical Markers

398 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 198
 
McMahon House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Sandra Hughes, June 14, 2014
McMahon House Marker
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — McMahon House
On Jefferson Street at Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling west on Jefferson Street.
Built about 1830 for merchant Joseph Trotter, this house was purchased in 1838 by John J. McMahon, a Virginia-born cotton factor who divided his time between Courtland and New Orleans. The house remained the home of McMahon's descendants for nearly . . . — Map (db m84307) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster
On Alabama St..
Side A Volunteer military company organized at Courtland 1835 to aid Texas in struggle for independence. Commanded by Dr. Jack Shackelford, local physician, company derived its name from color of home spun uniforms, made by citizens of . . . — Map (db m84308) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — The Alamo

Any discussion of the Battle of the Alamo must begin with the Siege of Bexar, named after San Antonio de Bexar which ocurred [sic] in December 1835. In early December, Bexar was controlled by the Mexicans. On December 5th, a group of Texas . . . — Map (db m91496) HM WM

Georgia (Crawford County), Knoxville — 039-1 — Crawford County
On East Cruselle Street (U.S. 80) at Fairplay Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on East Cruselle Street.
This County created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 9 & 23, 1822, is named for William H. Crawford, Georgia statesman who was Secretary of the Treasury at the time the County was established. At the County Site, Knoxville, lived Joanna E. Troutman . . . — Map (db m21435) HM
Georgia (Crawford County), Knoxville — Joanna Troutman
On East Crusselle Street (U.S. 80) at Fair Play Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on East Crusselle Street.
On this site in 1835 Joanna Troutman gave to a company of Georgia soldiers on their way to fight for the independence of Texas, a “Lone Star” flag, which she had made and which was later adopted as the Texas emblem. — Map (db m28024) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Memorial to the Fallen of 1836
Near North Perry Street (Georgia Route 20) at West Pike Street (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling south.
In memory of Gwinnett Company of Mounted Volunteers, under the command of Capt. Hammond Garmany who were slain by Creek Indians 9 June 1836 in a Battle at Shepherd's Plantation in Stewart County: Ens. Isaac Lacy Sgt. James E. . . . — Map (db m85721) HM WM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-6 — Gen. Iverson’s Birthplace>>>------>
On Pulaski Street 0.1 miles east of Randolph Street, on the right when traveling west.
Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, C.S.A., son of Senator Alfred Iverson, also a Brig. Gen., and Caroline Goode Holt, was born here Feb. 14, 1829. He served with the U. S. Cavalry in the Mexican War and Mormon campaign and fought the Comanches and Kiowas. . . . — Map (db m24994) HM
Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — 093-8 — Dahlonega Mustering Grounds
On North Grove Street NE (U.S. 19) 0 miles from Hawkins Street, on the left when traveling north.
During the War Between the States nine companies were organized on this site; five were mustered here in 1861, two in 1862 and two in 1864. Men from other north Georgia counties came to Dahlonega to be mustered here in the companies of Lumpkin . . . — Map (db m21035) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia
On 2nd Avenue north of 11th Street, on the left when traveling north.
Organized October 9, 1828, Columbian Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Georgia in December 1828, as No. 28. In 1849 it became No. 7. It is the oldest Lodge in western Georgia. First Worshipful Master was Luther Blake. The Lodge was organized . . . — Map (db m23053) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Frontier Wars
Near Front Avenue south of West 6th Avenue.
The Creek Indian War of 1835-1836, which centered on Columbus, began when a group of Indians revolted rather than move from East Alabama to Oklahoma they attacked travelers and settlers and threatened Columbus. State militia . . . — Map (db m101487) HM
Kentucky (Logan County), Russellville — 958 — Bowie, A Kentuckian
On West 4th Street (Business U.S. 68) at Winter Street, on the right when traveling west on West 4th Street.
James Bowie, Col. of Texas Rangers and co-commander at the Alamo, was native of Logan Co. With 187 others-P. J. Bailey, D. W. Cloud, W. Fountleroy of Logan Co. among them-he chose death rather than surrender. "Remember the Alamo" was battle cry of . . . — Map (db m123373) HM
Kentucky (Simpson County), Franklin — "Frontier Portraits"19th century heroes
On Steele Road 0.1 miles south of Nashville Road (U.S. 31W), on the left when traveling south.
Born near here were two famous men. Jim Bowie invented the Bowie knife. He died at the battle of the Alamo in Texas. Alexander Majors was co-founder of the Pony Express and hauled freight all over the West for the U.S. Cavalry. — Map (db m83905) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Site of Bowie Residence
On South Union Street (State Highway 182) at East Andrus Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Union Street.
James Bowie lived here with his family from 1815 to 1824. The Bowies operated several sawmills along the bayous of St. Landry Parish. The famous Bowie knife became a legend in Opelousas prior to his heroic death at the Alamo. — Map (db m85968) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Lieutenant Joseph Bonnella Hero of the War for Texas Independence
Near Ridge Avenue 0.1 miles south of West Clearfield Street.
On April 7, 1836, Lieutenant Joseph Bonnell, West Point Class of 1825, 3rd Infantry Regiment, U.S. Army, Fort Jesup, Louisiana, was sent alone into Texas by U.S. General Gaines to quell an uprising of 1,700 hostile Indians which threatened the small . . . — Map (db m40778) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E16 — Where Houston Enlisted
On Broadway Ave. at Cusick St., on the right when traveling west on Broadway Ave..
Here, where Blount County's first courthouse stood, Sam Houston "took a dollar from the drum", thus marking his first enlistment in the United States Army, March 24, 1813. This culminated in his command of the Army of Texas, which decisively . . . — Map (db m28579) HM
Tennessee (Gibson County), Trenton — David Crockett
On Eaton Street (Tennessee Route 104, 77) at South College Street (Tennessee Route 367), on the left when traveling east on Eaton Street.
Pioneer — Statesman — Hero Born August 17, 1786 • Died March 6, 1836 Served three terms in the Congress of the United States while a resident of this county. Emigrated to Texas in 1835, and was killed at the Alamo fighting . . . — Map (db m55211) HM
Tennessee (Lawrence County), Lawrenceburg — 1786-1836 David CrockettA Tennessee Legacy… — “Be always sure you are right, then go ahead!” —
On David Crockett Park Road.
In the 49 years that David Crockett called Tennessee his home he migrated from one end of the Volunteer state to the other. From his birthplace near Limestone on the banks of the Nolichucky River to his last home in present day Rutherford (Gibson . . . — Map (db m107422) HM
Tennessee (Lawrence County), Lawrenceburg — A Summary of the Life of Davy Crockett:
On David Crockett State Park Road.
“Be always sure you are right, then go ahead!”

• Raised in frontier poverty without any education until he is a teenager, David is often hired out to others for additional income while still a child; once held against his will . . . — Map (db m108201) HM

Tennessee (Lawrence County), Lawrenceburg — Col. David Crockett
On Public Square at South Military Street, on the left when traveling north on Public Square.
(front) Erected by gift of the people and the Legislature of Tennessee, to the memory of Col. David Crockett. Born in East Tennessee Aug. 17th, 1786. And gave his life for Texas liberty amid the smoking walls of the . . . — Map (db m82214) HM
Tennessee (Loudon County), Greenback — 1 E 108 — Sam Houston American Giant Homesite
On Salem Road south of Lambert Road, on the right when traveling south.
In 1807, Sam Houston arrived at this 419-acre site with his widowed mother and eight brothers and sisters. The homesite was located just above the spring on the hill. Sam Houston served as general, President of Texas, Governor of Tennessee and . . . — Map (db m58842) HM
Tennessee (Madison County), Jackson — David Crockett
On E Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m87533) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 167 — Andrews County
On Eunice Highway (State Highway 176) 0.3 miles east of County Road 7001, on the right when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m61419) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 1547 — John Fagan
Near Hagy Drive 0.1 miles east of Charlotte Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
John Fagan Soldier in the Texas War for Independence at Goliad, 1835-1836 — Map (db m53825) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 5103 — Stella Maris Chapel
Near Hagy Drive 0.1 miles east of Charlotte Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Irish immigrant James W. Byrne (1787 – 1865), a veteran of the Texas Revolution, was an early settler of this area. He established the town of Lamar and with his wife Harriet, sold land on Aransas Bay to the Catholic Church for a chapel site. . . . — Map (db m53717) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 4819 — Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters(2.3 Mi. SSE)
On Farm to Market Road 1333 at Curvier Road, on the left when traveling south on Route 1333.
This land had once been allocated in the 1700s as a ranch for Mission San Jose in San Antonio (20 mi. N), but in the 1820s was left unsettled. In 1828 prominent San Antonio resident Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) beseeched the Governor of the . . . — Map (db m111187) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 243 — Austin County
On West Main Street (State Highway 36) at Nelsonville Road (State Highway 159), in the median on West Main Street.
A part of the grant to Stephen F. Austin in 1821 Created a municipality under the Mexican government in 1828 Became a county of the Republic of Texas, March 17, 1836 Named in honor of Stephen Fuller Austin, 1793-1836 Pioneer . . . — Map (db m125601) HM
Texas (Austin County), Industry — 1941 — Charles Fordtran(May 7, 1801-Nov. 1, 1900)
On SH 159 (State Highway 159) at Hofheinz Road, on the left when traveling west on SH 159.
In Jan. 1831 Charles Fordtran, a German of Huguenot descent, joined the colony of Stephen F. Austin. His first work was to survey land for Austin's partner, Samuel May Williams. He was given a league (4,428.4 acres) as his fee. Soon he brought in . . . — Map (db m30780) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 5514 — A Town Hall
Near Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles from 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
Near this site stood A Town Hall Built about 1830 in which were held the First and Second Conventions of Texas, 1832 and 1833, and the Consultation of 1835 the provisional government functioned here until March 2, 1836, when . . . — Map (db m43759) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 11707 — Early Roads To San Felipe
On Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
During the mid-1820's, When Stephen F. Austin was founding this town, the only roads in the area were wagon ruts or beaten trails marked by notched trees. Within a decade, however, the village of San Felipe, one of the first Anglo settlements in . . . — Map (db m43718) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 2678 — J.J. Josey General Store
Near Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built by John Crutcher in 1847 on the Plaza de Commercio in San Felipe, this was the last store built in the town after its 1836 burning by military order. Purchased in 1867 by Dr. J.J. Josey, it was in continuous operation as a store until 1942. . . . — Map (db m43760) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — John Bricker
Near Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
In memory of John Bricker a private in Captain Mosley Baker’s company, who was killed just across the river from this site April 7th 1836 by a shot from a Mexican cannon, and was buried where he fell. He was born in Cumberland . . . — Map (db m43758) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4536 — San Felipe de Austin
On Farm to Market Road 1458 0.2 miles north of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling north.
First Anglo-American capital of Texas. Came into being on July 26, 1828, as capital of the Austin Colony, by decree of the Mexican government. Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin had begun under the 1821 grant from Mexico the settlement of more than . . . — Map (db m116924) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 249 — Stephen F. Austin's Cabin
On Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles from 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
Replica of Stephen F. Austin's Cabin This structure is a replica of the only Texas home of Stephen F. Austin, “Father of Texas.” The chimney contains bricks from original (1828) cabin. Other materials were made as authentically . . . — Map (db m43761) HM
Texas (Austin County), Wallis — 6344 — Martin Allen(November 28, 1780 - December 30, 1837)
On 36th Division Memorial Highway (State Highway 36) at Johnston Road, on the right when traveling south on 36th Division Memorial Highway.
As a young man Martin Allen assisted his father, Benjamin, in surveying roads in their native state of Kentucky. He married Elizabeth Vice in 1804 and by 1810 they and their three children were living in Louisiana. Martin joined the . . . — Map (db m61299) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9163 — Captain James Burleson
On Pecan Street north of Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south.
Chosen commissary by General Andrew Jackson, War of 1812 Edward Burleson, his son, accompanied him as book-keeper Participated in the Battle of New Orleans January 8, 1815 Served under his son, Edward, Army of Texas, in the Grass . . . — Map (db m111111) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9151 — Early History of the City of Bastrop
On Loop State Highway 150 at Park Road 1, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 150.
Long before white men arrived, this region was inhabited by Tonkawa and Comanche Indians. In 1691 the first Spanish explorers crossed this territory en route to east Texas. From their route, parts of “El Camino Real” (the King's Highway) . . . — Map (db m126751) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9185 — Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop1770 - 1829
On Park Road 1-A 0.6 miles east of Loop Texas Highway 150 when traveling east.
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop 1770 - 1829 Pioneer Red River empresario. Land commissioner of Austin's colony. Member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. In . . . — Map (db m111113) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9240 — Samuel Wolfenberger(1804 - 1860)
On Farm to Market Road 20 0.1 miles north of Humble Lane (County Highway 232), on the right when traveling north.
Early land grantee in this area. Of Dutch descent, he was born in Virginia. Came to Texas (then part of Mexico) in 1831 as a colonist of Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas."

Received a Spanish league of land (4,444 acres) here. Active in . . . — Map (db m118406) HM

Texas (Bastrop County), Elgin — 9171 — Site of the Home of Col. Robert M. Coleman — (1799 -1837) —
On Farm to Market Road 969 0.2 miles west of Upper Elgin River Road (County Route 127), on the right when traveling east.
Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence Aide-de-camp to Gen. Houston at San Jacinto Commander of a regiment of Rangers 1836-37 Here his widow Mrs. Elizabeth Coleman and son, Albert V. Coleman were killed by Indians and . . . — Map (db m82688) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 3315 — Medio CreekSignificant natural landmark
On U.S. 59, on the left when traveling east.
Named by the Spaniards about 1800 because of its midway position between the San Antonio and Nueces Rivers. Rises in Karnes County; empties into Mission River. Crossed by explorers, padres, soldiers, settlers who traveled on three early ox-cart . . . — Map (db m32271) HM
Texas (Bell County), Belton — 5859 — Wilson Van Dyke(Dec 25, 1817 - Aug. 3, 1881)
On Mesquite Rd 0.1 miles north of Shanklin Road.
A native of South Carolina, Wilson Van Dyke served as a member of the Somervell Expedition, which was organized in 1842 to expel the Mexican Army from Texas. Under command of Col. W.S. Fisher, he crossed the Rio Grande and was captured. A survivor . . . — Map (db m29382) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 141st Infantry Regiment"Remember the Alamo" — Oldest Militia Unit in Texas —
On Market Street at Losoya Street/Alamo Street, on the left when traveling east on Market Street.
Texas Revolution - 1836 Spanish-American War - 1898 Cuban Occupation - 1898 Mexican Border Serivce - 1916 World War I - 1918 World War II 1940-1945 Campaigns Naples-Foggia • Anzio Rome-Arno • Southern France Ardennes • Alsace . . . — Map (db m32656) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Alamo Funeral Pyre
On East Commerce Street east of South Alamo Street.
On this spot bodies of heroes slain at the Alamo were burned on a funeral pyre. Fragments of the bodies were afterward buried here. This tablet is the gift of relatives of Green B. Jemision and of other friends. Second Marker The De . . . — Map (db m30589) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway
On Alamo Plaza, on the right when traveling north.
Mission San Antonio de Valero, established nearby in 1718, was relocated here in 1724. By 1762, the mission plaza was enclosed by thick stone and adobe walls. The 11x14-foot main gateway was located at this site along the south wall. In 1803 . . . — Map (db m30713) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Articles of Capitulation
On Villita Street at King Philip Alley, on the right when traveling west on Villita Street.
In this place General Cos signed articles capitulating to the Texans who under Milam and Johnson took San Antonio Dec. 9, 1835. — Map (db m82889) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 400 — Bexar County Under Nine Governments
On Dolorosa at Military Plaza, on the right when traveling north on Dolorosa.
The administrative government of Bexar County, besides being the oldest in Texas, is distinguished by having served under nine governments. The community served under Spanish rule from May, 1718, until January, 1811, when it was taken over by the . . . — Map (db m53972) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 1287 — Clara Driscoll(April 2, 1881 - July 17, 1945)
On E. Commerce Street, on the left when traveling east.
A descendant of early Texas colonists, including a veteran of San Jacinto, Clara Driscoll was born in Refugio County and grew up as a wealthy rancher's daughter. In 1903, soon after returning from school in Europe, she learned that the Long . . . — Map (db m30130) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Clara DriscollLest We Forget
Title to the Alamo Mission property, acquired through her efforts and her personal fortune, was conveyed by Clara Driscoll to the State of Texas, Sept. 5th 1905: “That the sacred shrine be saved from the encroachments of . . . — Map (db m30734) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Council House
On Main Plaza just north of West Market Street, on the right when traveling north.
Here stood the early Court House, City Council Room, etc., and where occurred the Indian Massacre in 1840, and where the Court was captured in 1842. De Zavala Daughters of the Heroes of Texas. 1924.Map (db m142413) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Dawson Massacre MemorialSeptember 18, 1842
On Austin Highway (State Highway 368) at Corrine Drive, on the right when traveling south on Austin Highway.
Dawson Massacre Memorial September 18, 1842 Erected by Alamo Mission Chapter Daughters of The Republic of Texas — Map (db m85982) WM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Founding of the Mission and Origin of Name
Near Alamo Plaza.
The San Antonio de Padua Mission was founded in San Antonio in 1716 by the Franciscan Father, Antonio Olivares, and after merging with the San Francisco Solano Mission in 1718, it was officially founded as the San Antonio de Valero Mission. The . . . — Map (db m9228) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Gonzales Men at the Alamo
Erected in grateful recognition of the supreme act of heroism of the thirty two men from Gonzales who gave their lives in the Alamo in response to the appeal of Travis. Erected March 1, 1936 — Map (db m30777) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Heroes of the Alamo
Near East Houston Street at 3rd Street.
This oak tree planted in the spring of 1965 in memory of the Heroes of the Alamo. Presented by the First Officers' Training Camp Association of Texas, Leon Springs, Texas, May 8...August 15, 1917. Roster of First Campers filed in Alamo Library. — Map (db m30599) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Japanese Monument to The Heroes of the Alamo
To the Memory of The Heroes of the Alamo [Poem in Chinese follows] Japanese Monument The story of the Alamo reaches far beyond the borders of Texas. More than 2.6 million visitors from around the world came to the Alamo in 1996. The . . . — Map (db m30779) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 4962 — John W. Smith(November 4, 1792 - January 12, 1845)
On King Philip Alley at East Nueva Street, on the right when traveling north on King Philip Alley.
Great early San Antonio leader, a native of North Carolina. Moved to Illinois, then to Missouri, where he was sheriff of Rawls County in 1824. Came to Texas with Green DeWitt in 1826 and settled at Gonzales. Smith moved to San Antonio in 1828 . . . — Map (db m82880) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 4386 — Jose Francisco Ruiz(January 29, 1783 - January 20, 1840)
On Dolorosa at Plaza de Armas, on the right when traveling east on Dolorosa.
One of two native Texans who signed Declaration of Independence and helped found Republic of Texas. Ruiz, born in San Antonio, son of a wealthy rancher, was educated in Spain. Upon returning home, he was appointed school teacher by order of the . . . — Map (db m130094) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — La Villita
On South Alamo Street at Villita Street, on the right when traveling south on South Alamo Street.
La Villita, “The Little Village”, settled about 1722 as “The Town of the Alamo". Here General Martin de Perfecto Cos signed the Articles of Capitulation to Texians December 11, 1835 and General Santa Anna's artillery battery . . . — Map (db m82886) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Letter From The Alamo
Commandancy of the Alamo, Bexar, Feby. 24th, 1836- To the people of Texas & all Americans in the world-- Fellow citizens and compatriots I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans and Santa Anna - I have sustained a . . . — Map (db m78329) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Lt. Col. William Barret Travis
Near Alamo Plaza north of East Crockett Street, on the right when traveling north.
Legend states that in 1836 Lt. Col. William Barret Travis unsheathed his sword and drew a line on this ground before his battle-weary men stating: “Those prepared to give their lives in Freedom’s cause, come over to me!” — Map (db m123951) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Main Plaza Fortifications
On Dwyer Avenue at Kallison Walk, on the right when traveling north on Dwyer Avenue.
During the Main Plaza renovation in 2007, archaeologists discovered remnants of a military fortification underneath this street. This entrenchment would have been part of San Antonio's defense against attacks during the turbulent revolutionary . . . — Map (db m30214) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Masonic Heroes of the Alamo
On Alamo Plaza, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m30821) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 4633 — Near Homesite of Erasmo Seguin(May 16, 1782 - November 7, 1857)
On West Nueva Street east of South Main Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Born in San Antonio; descendant of Frenchman who settled in Mexico before 1714. Always a civic leader, helped found first public school in San Antonio, 1812. Went (1821) with Juan M. Veramendi to escort Austin Colony leaders to Bexar, and . . . — Map (db m118112) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 13379 — Perote Prisoners
On East Commerce Street at Soledad Street, on the right when traveling west on East Commerce Street.
Here 56 Texans gathered in home of Samuel A. Maverick, Sept. 11, 1842, to defend city in surprise attack of 1800 Mexicans under Gen. Adrian Woll. Maverick and 52 others were captured and marched to Perote in southern Mexico. On March 30, 1843, . . . — Map (db m118096) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Remains of the Alamo Heroes
The remains of the Alamo Heroes are entombed in the chapel at the left-hand side of the entrance to this cathedral Visitors Welcome — Map (db m30343) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 3262 — Samuel Augustus MaverickSite of Home (1850 to 1870)
On North Alamo Street, on the right when traveling north.
A native of South Carolina; came to San Antonio in 1835; was guide for Ben Mailam and other leaders in first attack on San Antonio by Texas Army, Dec. 1835. As Bexar Delegate, Maverick signed Texas declaration of Independence at . . . — Map (db m30608) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 11743 — Site of De La Garza House, Gardens and Mint
On Soledad Street at East Houston Street, on the right when traveling south on Soledad Street.
Erected on this site in 1734 for prominent Bexar citizens Geronimo and Javiera Cantu de la Garza, the de la Garza family home was designed by Geronimo's brother-in-law Pedro Flores Valdez. The complex occupied an entire city block and was crafted . . . — Map (db m118527) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Soldiers of the War of 1812 Who Fought for Texas
This tree dedicated in honor of the soldiers of the War of 1812 who fought for Texas liberty March 16, 1935 — Map (db m30735) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Tennessee Volunteers at the Alamo
In commemoration of the 150th Anniversary of Texas Independence and in honor of the Tennessee Volunteers who gave their lives at the Alamo on March 6, 1836 the Citizens of Tennessee present this Tennessee Homecoming Tree and Plaque . . . — Map (db m30775) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The AlamoA Story Bigger Than Texas — (Long Barrack) —
This is the Long Barrack, the oldest building in San Antonio. It was built in 1724 as a convento or residence for priests and was originally part of the Mission San Antonio de Valero, now known as the Alamo. Since then it has been used as a . . . — Map (db m30743) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo / El Alamo
Near Alamo Plaza at East Crockett Street.
Side 1 The Alamo Mission San Antonio de Valero - famed as The Alamo - founded 1718 by Spanish Missionaries. Secularized 1793. Garrison for Spanish Cavalry and Flying Company of San Carlos de Parras y Alamo. Between February 23 and . . . — Map (db m78330) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 95 — The Alamo Cenotaph"The Spirit of Sacrifice"
On Alamo Plaza at Houston Street, on the right when traveling north on Alamo Plaza.
In memory of the heroes who sacrified their lives at the Alamo, March 6, 1836, in the defense of Texas. “They chose never to surrender nor retreat. These brave hearts, with flag still proudly waving, perished in the flames of . . . — Map (db m30709) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo in 1836
Corrals for cattle and horses occupied this space during the famous 1836 Siege and Battle of the Alamo. Small fortifications provided cover for the Texans during the siege. The structures shown in the illustration are (left to right) the church, . . . — Map (db m30714) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo in 1836
The church of former Mission San Antonio de Valero had been converted into a powder magazine and artillery platform by the Mexican Army in the autumn of 1835 during the Siege of Béxar. Following the capture of the town in early December 1835, Texan . . . — Map (db m30736) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo in 1836
On Alamo Plaza, on the right when traveling north.
The fortress known to history as “The Alamo” was originally built by the Spanish in the 18th Century. Named Mission San Antonio de Valero by Franciscan officials, the mission occupied this site from 1724 until it was closed in 1793. The . . . — Map (db m30824) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo in 1836
On Crockett Street at Alamo Plaza, on the right when traveling west on Crockett Street.
One of the weakest points of the fortified former mission was an open space between the old church and the Low Barrack. During the Siege of Béxar, Mexican troops constructed a palisade, or double log-wall, to close the exposed area. The Texans . . . — Map (db m30857) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 335 — The Battle of the Salado
On Holbrook Road, on the left when traveling south.
Decisive in Texas history, was fought here, September 18, 1842. Col. Mathew Caldwell and Capt. John C. Hays, commanding a force of Texas volunteers, opposed the Mexican Army under General Adrian Woll that had captured San Antonio, and with the loss . . . — Map (db m128119) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 748 — The Casas Reales
On Market Street at West Main Plaza, on the left when traveling east on Market Street.
On site chosen July 2, 1731, for "government houses" by people of San Fernando de Bexar, including newly-arrived settlers from the Canary Islands. Structure, erected 1742, had to be rebuilt in 1779 by Don Jose Antonio Curbelo, alcalde of the Villa . . . — Map (db m20332) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 1182 — The Dawson Massacre
On Austin Highway (State Highway 368) at Corrine Drive, on the right when traveling south on Austin Highway.
Occurred in this vicinity on September 18, 1842 when Captain Nicholas Mosby Dawson and 53 men from La Grange, in attempting to join Captain Mathew Caldwell (Old Paint) and his company of Texas volunteers during the Battle of the Salado, were . . . — Map (db m85981) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 5135 — The Storming of BexarVicinity of — (December 5-9, 1835) —
On Dwyer Avenue at Kallison Walk, on the right when traveling north on Dwyer Avenue.
First of four major engagements of the War for Texas Independence, this sanguinary battle ended a siege of six weeks. The assault began at dawn, Dec. 5. 300 volunteers (Texans, Mexicans, and Americans) under Cols. Frank W. Johnson and Benjamin R. . . . — Map (db m30211) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 5888 — The Woll Invasion
On Commerce Street at Main Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Commerce Street.
Mexico’s last invasion of the Republic of Texas alarmed San Antonio on Sept. 11, 1842, when Gen. Adrian Woll and 1300 troops struck the city from the west. Awakened by booming cannon, 56 Texians (including judge, jurors, and citizens in town to . . . — Map (db m30325) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Twin Cypress Mexican Sniper Tree
On River Walk at W. Crockett Street on River Walk.
An old legend describes this twin cypress as a lookout of a Mexican sniper who picked off the Texans as they came to the river for water. — Map (db m119152) HM
Texas (Bowie County), New Boston — 9469 — Bowie County
On James Bowie Drive 0.1 miles east of North McCoy Boulevard (Texas Highway 8), on the right when traveling east.
Named for James Bowie (1799-1836), who fought for Texas freedom from 1819, when he joined the Long Expedition, to 1836 — when he died in defense of the Alamo. Inhabited before 1800 by agricultural Indians, charted 1819 for . . . — Map (db m96141) HM
Texas (Bowie County), Texarkana — James Bowie
On North State Line Avenue at Hazel Street, on the left when traveling north on North State Line Avenue.
Front Hero of the Alamo "They never fail who die in a just cause" Love of adventure brought the young South Carolinian to Texas with James Long in 1819. Romance made of him a Mexican citizen and won for him in San . . . — Map (db m96572) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Bonney — 9568 — Albert Sidney Johnston(February 2, 1803 - April 6, 1862)
On Farm to Market Road 521 0.2 miles south of Cannon Road (Farm to Market Road 51), on the right when traveling south.
Kentucky native Albert Sidney Johnston graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1826. He was assigned to posts in New York and Missouri, and served in the Black Hawk War in 1832. He resigned his commission in 1834 to return to . . . — Map (db m91921) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), East Columbia — 9601 — Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin
Near Main Street (County Route 703) 0.1 miles south of Austin Street (County Road 300E), on the right when traveling north.
John Sweeny, Sr. (d. 1855) moved his family from Tennessee to Brazoria County, Texas, about 1833. With the help of slaves, he cleared his land and established a large plantation. This log cabin, originally located about 9 miles southwest of this . . . — Map (db m49709) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), East Columbia — 9612 — The Ammon Underwood House
On Main Street (County Road 703) at Austin Street (County Road 300E), on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
A structure erected in noted old river port town of Marion in Republic of Texas era. First portion, of hand-hewn cedar, was built about 1835 by colonist Thomas W. Nibbs. Merchant-civic leader-soldier Ammon Underwood (1810-87) bought and enlarged . . . — Map (db m49707) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Jones Creek — 9537 — Major Guy M. Bryan, C.S.A.1821-1901
On State Highway 36 at Gulf Prairie Road and Peach Point Road, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 36.
Born in Missouri. Rode a mule to Texas in 1831 to join his uncle, Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. A private in Texas War for Independence. Legislator, congressman, member of Texas Secession Convention. Enlisted as a private in the Civil War, but . . . — Map (db m53084) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Surfside — 9605 — Velasco
On Blue Water Highway (State Highway 332) near Surf Drive when traveling east.
Here was fought a battle-- the first collision in arms between Texas colonists and the Mexican military-- a conflict preliminary to the Texas War for Independence. On June 26, 1832, when Texans under John Austin and Henry Smith came down river with . . . — Map (db m10332) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Surfside Beach — The Lively
On Monument Drive west of Jettyview Road, on the right when traveling west.
First vessel with emigrants to Austin's colony landed here December 23, 1821. The Battle of Velasco was fought here June 26, 1832. Public and secret treaties of peace between the Republic of Texas and General Santa Anna were signed here . . . — Map (db m96294) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9547 — Columbia
On South 17th Street (State Highway 35) at East Bernard Street, on the right when traveling north on South 17th Street.
In September 1836 Columbia, now known as West Columbia, became capital of the Republic of Texas. This took place with the removal of the ad interim government here from Velasco. After the election called by ad interim President David G. Burnet, the . . . — Map (db m49703) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 14749 — Columbia - The First Capital of The Republic of Texas
On East Brazos Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
In 1836 and 1837, the town of Columbia (Now West Columbia) served as the capital of the Republic of Texas. Josiah Hughes Bell, a colonist with Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, surveyed and platted Columbia in 1824 to serve as a center for . . . — Map (db m41707) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
On East Brazos Avenue (State Highway 35), on the right when traveling west.
Site of First Capitol of Republic of Texas 1836 - 1837 — Map (db m129404) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9575 — Home of George B. McKinstry1802 - 1837
Near Oil Field Road (County Route 467) 0.5 miles east of Texas Highway 36W, on the right when traveling east.
A member of Austin's colony, 1829. Soldier in the Battle of Velasco; delegate to the General Convention, 1832; chief justice of Brazoria County, 1836. In this home, built about 1830, Stephen F. Austin died, December 27, 1836 — Map (db m78618) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9560 — Near Site of First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
Near North 14th Street at Hamilton Street.
Near site of The First Capitol of the Republic of Texas About 1833 Leman Kelsy built a story-and-a-half clapboard structure near this location. When Columbia became capital of the Republic of Texas in 1836, the building was one of two . . . — Map (db m43057) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9546 — Old Columbia Cemetery
On E. Jackson St. 0.8 miles east of S. 17th, on the right when traveling east.
Site given by Josiah H. Bell family out of their grant, the first deeded to one of "Old 300" in colony of Stephen F. Austin. Has graves of many heroes of Texas Revolution of 1836. Deeded in 1852 to Bethel Presbyterian Church. Since 1933 managed . . . — Map (db m46452) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9588 — Phillips Family Cemetery
On Farm to Market Road 1301 at County Route 376, on the right when traveling south on Road 1301.
Zeno Phillips, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists, acquired land here in 1829. Zeno and his brothers John Clark, Sidney, and James Ray (J.R.) Phillips, served in the Republic of Texas Army. The cemetery began with the burial of Zeno and . . . — Map (db m96305) HM
Texas (Brown County), Brownwood — Greenleaf Fisk (1807-1888)"Father of Brownwood"
On South Broadway Street west of North Fisk Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Donor of present townsite of Brownwood, Fisk was noted as a soldier, public servant, surveyor and businessman. The son of English parents, he was born in New York. As a boy he was so studious that he voluntarily gave up recess periods to read. In . . . — Map (db m126061) HM
Texas (Burleson County), Caldwell — 7569 — Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence
On West Fox Street east of South Echols Street, on the right when traveling east.
When Mexican Dictator Santa Anna revoked national rights, 30 or more men from this sparsely settled area left to resist his armies: in Grass Fight (Nov. 26, 1835), Siege of Bexar (Dec. 5-9) and other actions. While able men were absent, the foe came . . . — Map (db m125670) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 17813 — Captain Jesse Burnam
On County Highway 401 at State Highway 71, on the right when traveling north on County Highway 401.
Texas patriot Jesse Burnam (also spelled Burnham), born in Madison County, Kentucky, was the youngest son of seven children. In 1812, Jesse married Temperance Null Baker in Shelbyville, Tennessee. Jesse was a private in the Mounted Volunteers of . . . — Map (db m139958) HM
Texas (Cameron County), Port Isabel — 4082 — Port of Matamoros
Near Maxan Road.
The Port of Matamoros was established in 1824. Commercial cargo, shipped mainly from New Orleans and other U.S. ports, was unloaded at the Port and transported overland to Matamoros, Reynosa, Camargo, Monterrey, and Mier. Mexico maintained a . . . — Map (db m16542) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9123 — Fort Anahuac
On Unnamed roads within the park at Unnamed roads within the park, on the right when traveling west on Unnamed roads within the park.
Known as Perry's Point until 1825, Anahuac was a port of entry for early Texas colonists. In 1830 the Mexican government established a military post here to collect customs duties and to enforce the law of April 6, 1830, which curtailed further . . . — Map (db m117180) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9124 — Fort Anahuac
Near Unnamed roads within the park.
On this site first known as Perry's Point, a fort, established in 1830 by General Manuel Mier y Terán for the purpose of halting Anglo-American colonization was named Anahuac, the Aztec name of Mexico City, then the capital of Texas. The . . . — Map (db m117183) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 12650 — James Taylor White
Near Interstate 10 at milepost 815, on the right when traveling east.
A veteran of the War of 1812, James Taylor White (b.1789) migrated to this area from Louisiana in 1828. As a rancher, he developed one of the largest herds of Longhorn cattle in southeast Texas. On White's ranch in June 1832, area colonists . . . — Map (db m121266) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9113 — Juan Davis Bradburn
On Unnamed roads within the park at Unnamed roads within the park, on the right when traveling east on Unnamed roads within the park.
Adventurer from Kentucky who first came to Texas in 1817 with an expedition seeking to expel Spain from North America. Bradburn served in the Army of the Republic of Mexico in the 1820s, and in 1830 was sent to establish a military post at the mouth . . . — Map (db m117179) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9140 — Robert McAlpin Williamson(1804-1859) — Hero of Colonial Struggle at Anahuac —
On Unnamed roads within the park at Unnamed roads within the park, on the right when traveling west on Unnamed roads within the park.
Crippled by disease at 15, with a leg permanently bent at the knee, wore a pegleg which like his two natural legs was covered with his trousers. Hence he was nicknamed "Three-Legged Willie." Settled in Texas in 1827 to practice law. Here at . . . — Map (db m117181) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9136 — Turtle Bayou ResolutionsNear site of the signing of
On White Park Road 0.3 miles west of Texas Highway 61, on the right when traveling west.
Drafted and signed at Turtle Bayou on June 13, 1832; this first formal protest of Texas colonists against Mexican tyranny formed an early step in events that led eventually to the Texas Revolution of 1836. The settlers were protesting recent . . . — Map (db m60341) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9135 — William Barret Travis(August 9, 1809 - March 6, 1836)
On Unnamed roads within the park at Unnamed roads within the park, on the right when traveling east on Unnamed roads within the park.
Co-commander with James Bowie, siege of the Alamo. Born in South Carolina; moved with family in 1818 to Alabama, where at 19 he was admitted to the bar; came to Texas 1831. In Anahuac he joined William H. Jack and others resisting tyranny of customs . . . — Map (db m117182) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Jacksonville — 6636 — Old Neches Saline Road(Crosses Highway 175 Here)
On U.S. 175 near County Route 3405, on the left when traveling west.
Originally an Indian trail. Used in 1765 by the Spanish priest Calahorra on an Indian peace mission. Gained importance, 1820s, for use in hauling salt from Neches Saline to Nacogdoches. Survivors of the Killough family massacre of 1838 fled via . . . — Map (db m81748) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Wells — 11806 — Mt. Hope Cemetery(2 miles Southeast)
On U.S. 69 at County Road 2626, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 69.
Joseph H. Bowman, a veteran of the Texas War for Independence from Mexico, offered one hundred acres of land to the Rev. W.D. Lewis to come to Mt. Hope community and establish a Methodist church and cemetery. The Rev. Mr. Lewis agreed and the . . . — Map (db m28138) HM
Texas (Coleman County), Coleman — 1090 — County Named in 1857 for Robert M. Coleman(1790 - 1837)
Near Live Oak Street at West Street.
Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas in 1832. Commanded company of volunteers at Siege of Bexar (San Antonio), Dec. 5-10, 1835. Delegate to constitutional convention where he signed Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836. Aide-de-Camp to Gen. Sam . . . — Map (db m94449) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 347 — Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing
On U.S. 90.
Benjamin Beason, one of Stephen F. Austin's original 300 colonists, settled by a widely used Colorado River crossing near here in 1822. He and his wife Elizabeth proceeded to build a large home (also used as an inn) and established a gristmill, . . . — Map (db m29691) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 368 — Benjamin Beason's Crossingof the Colorado River
Near Walnut Street (U.S. 90) 0.2 miles west of Old U.S. 90, on the left when traveling west.
Site of the camp, March 19-26, 1836 of the Texas Army under General Sam Houston, who directed the retreat from Gonzales to the San Jacinto — Map (db m76821) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 4923 — Site of the Camp of Gen. Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma
On Veterans Drive (Old U.S. 90) at Milentz Street, on the right when traveling east on Veterans Drive (Old U.S. 90).
Site of the Camp, March 20-26, 1836, of one division of General Santa Anna's Army under the command of General Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma. It crossed the Colorado at Atascosita Ford, eight miles below Columbus. — Map (db m29707) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 3332 — William Menefee
On Walnut Street (U.S. 90), on the right when traveling east.
William L. Menefee, born ca. 1796 in Knox County, Tennessee, served in the Tennessee Militia in the War of 1812. He studied law and was admitted to the bar sometime prior to 1824 when he moved to Alabama. In 1830 he and his wife Agnes (Sutherland) . . . — Map (db m130391) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Weimar — 3881 — Old Osage
On County Road 208 at County Road 205, on the left when traveling north on County Road 208.
Site of 1820 trading post of Jesse Burnam. His ferry on the Colorado River helped Gen. Sam Houston reach San Jacinto, 1836. To cut off Santa Anna, Houston then burned post and ferry. Town started in 1850s was named for Osage Orange trees. . . . — Map (db m61298) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1110 — Crockett County
On 11th Street (State Highway 466) east of Avenue E (State Highway 163), on the left when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m7413) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1171 — David Crockett
On 11th Street, on the right when traveling west.
(Inscription on front of monument)

.. Be sure you are right - then go ahead ..

(Inscription on rear of monument) David Crockett was born in Tennessee on August 17, 1786 Participated in the Creek Indian Campaign . . . — Map (db m116599) HM

Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6730 — Greenwood Cemetery
On Liberty Avenue at Peace Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Liberty Avenue.
Greenwood Cemetery was part of a Republic of Texas grant, called the John Grigsby League, given for service in the Battle of San Jacinto. W. H. Gaston, pioneer Dallas banker, acquired title to the site in 1874, after the noted local legal battle, . . . — Map (db m72412) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 1370 — Eastland
On South Seaman Street (Texas Route 6) at West Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south on South Seaman Street.
County seat, Eastland County. Named for William M. Eastland—Texas War for Independence hero who was in Mier Expedition against Mexico, and was executed in "Black Bean" lottery at Rancho Salado in 1842. Most noted early local people were . . . — Map (db m105247) HM
Texas (Ellis County), Italy — 7109 — John Marr Hardeman
On Couch Street north of North Ward Street, on the left when traveling north.
A soldier in the Army of Texas in 1836 • Born in Tennessee, Feb- ruary 2, 1804; died October 15, 1891 His wife Mary Hardeman Born in Tennessee, February 12, 1812 • Died February 19, 1857 — Map (db m117284) HM
Texas (Ellis County), Milford — 7117 — James McDaniel
Near Water Street 0.2 miles east of North Main Street (U.S. 77), on the left when traveling east.
Served in the Army of Texas in 1836 • Born in Alabama, September 10, 1810 • Died January 11, 1885 His wife Isabella Weir McDaniel Born in Alabama, March 8, 1818 • Died May 4, 1897 — Map (db m117283) HM
Texas (Ellis County), Milford — 7115 — Thomas J. Jordan
Near Water Street 0.2 miles east of North Main Street (U.S. 77), on the left when traveling east.
Soldier in the Texas Army in 1836 • Born in Tennessee June 17, 1808 • Died November 24, 1880 His wife Stacy Choate Jordan Born in Tennessee, October 15, 1816 • Died January 27, 1884 — Map (db m117282) HM
Texas (Fannin County), Bonham — James Butler Bonham
On East Sam Rayburn Drive (State Highway 56) at North Center Street (Highway 78), on the right when traveling west on East Sam Rayburn Drive.
(panel 1) Born February 20, 1807 in South Carolina • Studied at South Carolina College 1825-1827 • On the staff of the Governor of South Carolina at the time of the Nullification Controversy 1832 to 1833 • Practiced law at Pendleton, . . . — Map (db m128658) HM WM
Texas (Fayette County), Ellinger — 4354 — James J. Ross
On East Farm Road 955, on the right when traveling east.
Born in South Carolina in about 1787, James Jeffres Ross was a member of the ""Old Three Hundred." He arrived in Stephen F. Austin's colony in late 1822 or early 1823, moving onto the league granted him near Eagle Lake in Colorado . . . — Map (db m22753) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 12756 — Monument Hill Tomb
Near Park Drive (State Highway 92 Spur) 0.3 miles west of U.S. 77, on the right when traveling west.
In September 1848, the remains of Texans killed in the 1842 Dawson Massacre and the 1843 “Black Bean Death Lottery” were reburied at this site in a sandstone vault. The Kreische family did its best to care for the grave during their . . . — Map (db m53218) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 575 — Site of Burnam's Ferry
On Farm to Market Road 155 at Anton Salas Loop, on the left when traveling north on Road 155.
(obverse) First ferry in present-day Fayette County. Established about 1824 at the crossing of the La Bahia Road by Jesse Burnam. After the Army of the Republic of Texas crossed on March 19, 1836, the ferry was destroyed by order of General . . . — Map (db m53220) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 1184/2495 — The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree
On North Washington Street at West Colorado Street, on the left when traveling north on North Washington Street.
The Dawson Expedition Under this historic oak on September 15, 1842, Capt. Nicholas Mosby Dawson organized his company of Fayette County mounted volunteers, who rushed to reinforce Col. Matthew Caldwell, after San Antonio was captured by . . . — Map (db m53231) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — The Dawson Memorial
On North Washington Street south of West Colorado Street, on the right when traveling south.
Erected by the State of Texas to the memory of her defenders Captain N. H. Dawson and his command. Who fell at the battle of Salado Texas Sept. 18th, 1842. . . . — Map (db m80829) HM WM
Texas (Fayette County), Round Top — 4363 — Round Top Community
On Main Street (State Highway 237) at Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Home of the Townsends, Hills and McH. Winburn, veterans of San Jacinto; Joel W. Robison, one of Santa Anna's captors; John Rice Jones, first postmaster general, Republic of Texas; and John C.C. Hill, boy captive of Mier Expedition and adopted by . . . — Map (db m49728) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Rutersville — 2486 — Asa Hill of Rutersville(1788? - 1844)
On State Highway 159 at Old College Road, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 159.
Born in Martin County, N.C. Married Elizabeth Barksdale in Georgia, Oct. 6, 1808. Came to Texas 1835. In army in 1836, was sent by Gen. Houston to warn people in enemy's path. Settled here 1839. In 1840, enrolled eight children in Rutersville . . . — Map (db m71582) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1244 — Dolphin Ward Floyd
On South Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
When this county was created by the Texas legislature in 1876, it was named in honor of Dolphin Ward Floyd (1804-1836). A native of North Carolina, Floyd left his home in 1825 and arrived in Gonzales, Texas, about 1832. He married Esther Berry House . . . — Map (db m104622) HM WM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9065 — Erastus ("Deaf") Smith(April 17, 1787 - November 30, 1837)
On Houston Street at South 6th Street, on the right when traveling west on Houston Street.
Most famous scout in Texas War for Independence. Obeyed Gen. Sam Houston's strategic order, then raised San Jacinto Battle Cry: "Fight for your lives! Vince's Bridge has been cut down." A native of New York, Smith settled in 1821 in San . . . — Map (db m126519) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9006 — Jane Long Boarding House
On South 4th Street north of Morton Street, on the right when traveling north.
Born in Maryland in 1798, Jane H. Wilkinson moved to Mississippi (1811) and became the ward of her famous relative, Gen. James Wilkinson, field commander of the United States Army. Jane married Dr. James Long in 1815 and later followed him on a . . . — Map (db m126517) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 15563 — Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar
On Jackson Street (Alternate U.S. 90) east of South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar • The Father of Education in Texas • Born in Georgia August 16, 1798 • Founded the Columbus Enquirer • Came to Texas in 1836 • He commanded the cavalry at the Battle of San Jacinto • Served successively as Secretary of War, . . . — Map (db m126864) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9012 — Morton Cemetery
Near Commerce Street, on the right when traveling west.
Burial place of illustrious pioneers, including 1838-1841 Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar (1798-1859) and one of State's first women settlers, Jane Long (1798-1880), known as "The Mother of Texas." On Labor No. 1 of Mexican land . . . — Map (db m126485) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9001 — Site of the Home of Randal Jones1786 - 1873
On Preston Street, on the right when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m126487) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9066 — Thomas Jefferson Smith
On an unnamed cemetery road, on the right when traveling north.
Born in Virginia 1808, reared in Georgia. Fought in Texas War for Independence, 1836, under James W. Fannin at Refugio Mission. Captured at Goliad, was spared to repair guns for Mexican Army. Escaped during Battle of San Jacinto. Settled in . . . — Map (db m126526) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Rosenberg — 9003 — Mirabeau Buonaparte LamarPresident of the Republic of Texas
On Mustang Avenue at Herndon Drive, on the right when traveling east on Mustang Avenue.
Born 1798 in Georgia. Came to Texas 1835. Became involved immediately in movement for independence from Mexico. Upon fall of the Alamo and news of Goliad Massacre, joined Texas Army as a private, as Houston moved eastward toward San Jacinto. In . . . — Map (db m126520) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Stafford — 9068 — Stafford's Point
On Dulles Avenue at Viking Lane, on the right when traveling south on Dulles Avenue.
One of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300," William J. Stafford (1764-1840), founded the settlement of Stafford's Point on the 6819.7-acre land grant he received in the winter of 1824. Bringing his family and slaves from his Louisiana sugar plantation, he . . . — Map (db m27781) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Bolivar Peninsula — 7544 — Point Bolivar
Near 7th Street just south of Madison Avenue, on the left. Reported missing.
Headquarters for Long's Expedition which attempted to free Texas from Spanish rule in 1819. Named in honor of Simon Bolivar (1783-1830), leader in the Spanish-American War for independence. Here Mrs. Long and a small group remained until news of her . . . — Map (db m34880) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 8240 — "The Cradle"
On Avenue O 1/2 at 29th Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue O 1/2.
Building in which in 1891 Misses Betty Ballinger and Hally Bryan founded the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, a society for historical preservation. This Victorian structure was then library of "The Oaks," family home of the founders, who . . . — Map (db m59424) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 261 — Burial Site of David G. Burnet (1788-1870)Provisional President of Texas (March 16, 1836 - Oct. 22, 1836)
On 57th Street, on the right when traveling south.
A man of strong principle who carried a gun in one pocket and a Bible in the other, Burnet acted as a cohesive force in the chaotic days of early Texas independence, though his dour, quick-tempered disposition kept him from ever winning wide . . . — Map (db m127628) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7449 — Captain William S. Fisher
On Avenue K west of 40th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born in Virginia. Captain of a company at San Jacinto, 1836 and in command of the Mier Expedition, 1842. Died in Galveston in 1845. — Map (db m127598) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 9 — David Ayers(August 10, 1793-October 25, 1881)
Near Avenue K west of 40th Street.
A veteran of the War of 1812, David Ayers brought his family to Texas in 1833. On behalf of the American Bible Society, they distributed bibles to new settlers. Settling first in San Patricio, Ayers moved to Washington County, where he became a . . . — Map (db m127585) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7537 — First Navy of the Republic of Texas
Near 20th Street 0.1 miles north of Wharf Road, on the left when traveling north.
Dedicated to the First Navy of the Republic of Texas Established by Governor Henry Smith November 25th, 1835 The Fleet Brutus • Independence Liberty • Invincible Commemorating the heroism of its personnel . . . — Map (db m65031) HM WM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — Fort San Jacinto
On Seawall Boulevard at Boddecker Drive, on the left when traveling east on Seawall Boulevard.
The northeastern tip of Galveston Island has seen defense fortifications since the early 1800's. Crude Spanish and French forts (1816-1818) gave way to small sand forts and batteries constructed by the Republic of Texas from 1836 to 1844. In 1863 . . . — Map (db m78508) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7457 — Galveston in the Republic of Texas
On Moody Avenue (21st Street) at Avenue G, on the right when traveling north on Moody Avenue (21st Street).
Galveston Island, for centuries a crossroads for Indians, privateers, Spanish and French explorers, for a time was capital of the Republic of Texas. This was during the Texas War for Independence, when Santa Anna was making his 1836 invasion. On . . . — Map (db m36130) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7183 — General Sidney Sherman
On Broadway at 7th Street, in the median on Broadway.
Born in Massachusetts July 26. 1805. Came to Texas February 1836 as captain of a company of volunteers he had recruited in Kentucky and Ohio. Commanded the second regiment of volunteers at San Jacinto. First to sound the immortal war cry opening the . . . — Map (db m49823) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 325 — George Campbell Childress
On Avenue K west of 40th Street, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m127601) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7501 — Henry Journeay
Near Avenue K west of 40th Street.
Who served in the Army of Texas, 1836 and was a member of the Mier Expedition, 1842 Born in New York June 23, 1815 Died July 2, 1870 — Map (db m127602) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 9918 — Major John M. Allen
On Avenue K west of 40th Street, on the right when traveling east.
San Jacinto veteran. First Mayor of Galveston. Born in Kentucky. Died February 12, 1847 — Map (db m127600) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 16833 — Major Leon Dyer
On Avenue K east of 43rd Street, on the right when traveling east.
Leon Dyer was born Feist Emanuel Heim (Haim) on Oct. 2, 1807 in Mayene, Germany, to John Maximilian and Isabella (Babette) Nachmann Dyer. The family immigrated to the U.S. around 1812 and settled in Baltimore where they began a meat packing . . . — Map (db m127579) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 12908 — Nicholas D. Labadie
On Avenue K east of 43rd Street, on the right when traveling east.
Nicholas Descomps Labadie was born in Canada in 1802. In Missouri, he trained for the priesthood and later changed to the study of medicine. In 1831, he moved to Texas, serving as post surgeon at Anahuac. He served in the Second Regiment of Texas . . . — Map (db m127532) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — Texas Revolution and Civil War
Near Moody Avenue at Winnie Street.
Following Laffite's expulsion from Galveston, settlers from the West Indies began to arrive. Within a few years, Galveston became principal port to the Republic of Texas. Galveston was declared a Port of Entry in 1825 by Mexico and a customs . . . — Map (db m50097) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — The Texas Navy
On Seawall Boulevard east of 28th Street, on the left when traveling east.
1836 - 1845 In commemoration of The Texas Navy that played heroic part in the struggle of the Texas Republic and made headquarters at the port of Galveston Erected by the Texas Society Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m90704) WM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7483 — Warren D. C. Hall(1788 - April 8, 1867)
On Avenue K west of 40th Street, on the right when traveling east.
North Carolina native Warren DeWitt Clinton Hall was an early immigrant to Texas who took part in several military expeditions against Spain and Mexico. He served as acting Secretary of War for the Republic of Texas at the time of the Battle of San . . . — Map (db m127530) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Near Bolivar Ferry — 7452 — Fort Travis
Near Anderson Avenue (State Highway 87) at 10th Street, on the left when traveling south.
In early 1836, soon after Texas declared independence from Mexico, Republic of Texas President David Burnet dispatched Colonel Ed Harcourt to Galveston Island to erect a fort. Using army recruits and slave labor Harcourt built an octagonal earth and . . . — Map (db m83304) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Port Bolivar — 16374 — Jane Herbert Wilkinson Long(July 23, 1798 – December 30, 1880)
On State Highway 87 at Anderson Avenue, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 87.
Born in Charles County, Maryland, Jane Herbert Wilkinson Long was a Texas pioneer. She married James Long in 1815, and joined him in Texas during his military invasion of the then-Spanish colony, settling in Nacogdoches. The occupation was . . . — Map (db m83442) HM
Texas (Glasscock County), Garden City — 2187 — Glasscock County
On East Currie Street (State Highway 158) east of Main Street (Ranch to Market Road 33), on the right when traveling east.
Created in 1887. Organized 1893, with Garden City county seat. Named for George W. Glasscock (1810-68), flatboating partner of Abraham Lincoln in Illinois. Came to Texas 1834 and fought 1835-36 in the War for Independence from Mexico. Built . . . — Map (db m115861) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Fannin — 322 — Battle of Coleto and Goliad Massacre
After the fall of the Alamo, March 6, 1836, Colonel James Walker Fannin, with about 400 soldiers, mostly volunteers from the United States in the Texas War for Independence, was ordered by Texas General Sam Houston to retreat from Goliad to . . . — Map (db m116301) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 15677 — Angel of Goliad
Near Fannin Monument Road east of S. Jefferson Street (U.S. 183/77), on the left when traveling east.
Amid the cruelties of the Texas War for Independence, one notable woman committed acts of bravery and compassion. Francisca Alavez (also known by similar names) accompanied Mexican Army Captain Telesforo Alavez to Texas in March 1836. In seven . . . — Map (db m36263) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 13441 — Don Rafael Antonio Manchola
On South Market Street south of North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling south.
Early Goliad leader Rafael Antonio Manchola was born to a Spanish aristocratic family circa 1800. In 1822, he arrived in La Bahia, and two years later he wed María de Jesús de Leon, daughter of empersario Martín de León and Patricia de la Garza. . . . — Map (db m34245) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2200 — Goliad
On South Market Street north of East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north.
One of the three first Texas municipalities. Old Aranama Indian village called Santa Dorotea by the Spanish. Presidio La Bahia and Mission Espiritu de Zuniga established 1749. Here early events leading to the Texas Revolution were expeditions of . . . — Map (db m34142) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2203 — Goliad County
On U.S. 59, on the left when traveling east.
First known to Spanish settlers as Nuestra Senora de Loreto, later called La Bahia del Espritu Santo. Established as a mission in 1749. Became a strategic fort under Spanish, Mexican, Texas occupancy, 1810-1821, 1835-1836. Name changed to Goliad . . . — Map (db m34291) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2257 — Grave of Colonel J. W. Fannin and His Men
On Fannin Monument Road at Cabrera Road on Fannin Monument Road.
After battle of Coleto (March 19 - 20, 1836), where a Texas Army under Col. James Walker Fannin met defeat by Mexicans in superior numbers, the Texas soldiers were held in Presidio La Bahia, supposedly as war prisoners. However, by order of Mexican . . . — Map (db m35516) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2686 — J. W. Fannin
On South Market Street at East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north on South Market Street.
(South Side of Monument) Erected In Memory of J. W. Fannin and his Comrades in Arms April A.D. 1885 Fannin (East Side of Monument) Massacred March 27, A.D. 1836 (North Side of . . . — Map (db m132546) HM WM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4119 — Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de la Bahía(Fort of Our Lady of Loreto of the Bay)
On Camino de Bexar east of Calle Cinco de Mayo.
One of the most historic Spanish forts in Texas. Popularly called Presidio la Bahía, it was founded on Espíritu Santo (present Lavaca) Bay in 1722. Twice moved, it was re-established here in 1749 to protect Espiritu Santo Mission (1/4 mi. NW). In . . . — Map (db m36230) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — Replica of Texas Independence Flagpole
Near Calle Cinco De Mayo east of U.S. 183.
Displays a replica of banner unfurled Dec. 20, 1835, at signing of Declaration of Independence of Texas from tyranny of Santa Anna's regime in Mexico. That declaration, drafted by staunch early patriots Philip Dimitt and Ira Ingram, and signed by 92 . . . — Map (db m132434) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4572 — Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified
On North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling east.
Gen. Vicente Filasola, Second in Command of Mexican armies in Texas War for Independence, fled from area of his nation's defeat at San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Filasola's aim was to go to Mexico with his army. After he had passed through Goliad, . . . — Map (db m34166) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 1867 — First Shot of the Texas Revolution
On State Highway 97 at State Highway 95 Spur, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 97.
One and one-half mile from here the first shot of the Texas Revolution was fired from a small cannon by Texans under the command of Col. John H. Moore October 2, 1835 — Map (db m128146) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 2459 — Here was Fired First Gun for Texas Independence
On State Highway 95 Spur 1.1 miles north of State Highway 97, on the left when traveling north.
Here was fired first gun for Texas Independence. Oct. 2, 1835 Erected by the children of Gonzales city schools. Apr. 21, 1903 — Map (db m118444) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 1866 — Site of the First Shot of the Texas Revolution
On State Highway 97 at State Highway 95 Spur, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 97.
Near here on October 2, 1835 was fired the first shot of the Texas Revolution of 1835-36 - the shot heard round the world. At Gonzales the Texans defied the Mexican government and refused their demand for the Gonzales cannon with the "Come and Take . . . — Map (db m118445) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1221 — 1834 Homesite of Capt. and Mrs. Almaron Dickinson
On St. James Street at St. Matthew Street, on the right when traveling north on St. James Street.
Site of the home to which two of the survivors of the Alamo returned, March 13, 1836. Susanna Dickinson, with her infant daughter, brought news of fall of Alamo into Mexican hands (March 6) and of the death of its heroic defenders from Gonzales, . . . — Map (db m128171) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 3823 — Andrew Ponton — Texas Heroes Square —
Near N. St Joseph Street at St. Lawrence Street.
Born in Virginia to William and Isabella (Mooreland) Ponton, Andrew Ponton came to Texas in December 1829 and settled in Green DeWitt's Colony, receiving a land grant near Hallettsville. He became active in area politics, and in 1834 he was named . . . — Map (db m36591) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 690 — Campsite Marking Start of San Jacinto Campaign
On St. John Street at Water Street (U.S. 183), on the right when traveling south on St. John Street.
On March 11, 1836, Sam Houston, leader of Texas Revolutionary Forces, arrived here to organize the second volunteer army. On March 13, he heard of the massacre of Alamo defenders and that the Mexican army was advancing toward Gonzales. He . . . — Map (db m128172) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2214 — Gonzales Cannon
On County Road 197 west of U.S. 183, on the right when traveling east.
On this site September 29, 1835 the Mexican government troops demanded the return of the Gonzales cannon. After two days delay, awaiting recruits, the colonists answered, "Come and Take It." — Map (db m128151) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2215 — Gonzales Cannon Burial Site
On St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur) at St. James Street, on the right when traveling east on St. Louis Street.
On this site September 29, 1835 the Gonzales cannon was buried from the 150 Mexican Dragoons sent to demand it. Two days later it was mounted on ox-cart wheels, loaded with chains and scrap iron, and fired at the Mexican Army, the . . . — Map (db m128170) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4367 — Route of Gen. Sam Houstonto San Jacinto
On St. Lawrence Street at Smith Street, on the right when traveling east on St. Lawrence Street.
Stricken with news of the fall of the Alamo and threatened by a massive Mexican army, Sam Houston gathered the nucleus of a Texan army here, issued orders to burn this town (to hinder the Mexicans) and marched east, March 13, 1836. He won Victory at . . . — Map (db m128177) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4503 — Sam Houston Oak
On Alternate U.S. 90 at County Road 361, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 90Alternate .
1/8 mile north is Sam Houston Oak where General Sam Houston established his headquarters camp March 13, 1836 after burning the town of Gonzales Under this oak his small army was joined by many volunteers from the eastern . . . — Map (db m128178) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4571 — Santa Anna Mound
On U.S. 183 at Texas Highway 97, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 183.
Extending from this point one-quarter mile west is Santa Anna Mound formerly De Witt Mound now site De Witt Family Cemetery. Here Mexican troops camped between September 29 and October 1, 1835, awaiting delivery of the Gonzales . . . — Map (db m128152) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1215 — Sarah Seely De Witt
On an unnamed park road 0.1 miles north of County Road 197, on the right when traveling north.
Who with her daughter Evaline made the first battle flag of Texas used by the colonists in the Battle of Gonzales, October 2, 1835 Born in Virginia, 1789 came to Texas in 1826 with her husband Green De Witt, Empresario, and their . . . — Map (db m128150) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2624 — The Immortal 32
On St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur) at Smith Street, on the right when traveling west on St. Louis Street.
In Memory of the Immortal 32 Gonzales men and boys who, on March 1, 1836 fought their way into the beleaguered Alamo to die with Colonel William B. Travis for the Liberty of Texas. They were the last and only reinforcements to arrive in answer to . . . — Map (db m128175) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 13 — The Old Eighteen
On County Road 197 at South St. Joseph Street (U.S. 183), on the left when traveling west on County Road 197.
On this site, September 29, 1835 began the strategy of the 18 Texians who by advising with Alcalde Andrew Ponton, held for two days 150 Mexican dragoons sent to demand the Gonzales cannon, allowing colonists time to mass recruits for . . . — Map (db m123671) HM
Texas (Gregg County), White Oak — 9939 — Cherokee Trace
On U.S. 80 at South White Oak Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 80.
In 1821 near this site, Cherokee Indians blazed a trail from near Nacogdoches, Texas, to their home reservation at White River, Ark. They slashed trees, cleared path, planted "Cherokee" roses, and established camps at springs.

Used by Sam . . . — Map (db m139093) HM

Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — In Memory of Jesse Grimes and Mathew CaldwellSigners of the Texas Declaration of Independence — March 2, 1836 —
On South Main Street (State Highway 429) at Buffington Lane, on the left when traveling north on South Main Street.
Mathew Caldwell was called Paul Revere of the Texas Revolution. Caldwell’s daughters Lucy Ann and Martha Elizabeth came to Grimes County from Gonzales. Martha E. Married Isham Dixon Davis and settled N. Grimes County at Mesa, near Iola, by 1846. . . . — Map (db m111903) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — La Bahia RoadUpper Coushatta Trace
On Fanthorp Street 0.1 miles south of Apalonia Avenue (Farm to Market Road 1774), on the right when traveling north.
This short stretch of road is the last remaining local portion of two very important early Texas roads. La Bahia Road (early 1700's) was an old Spanish military road that forked southwesterly from the Old San Antonio Road west of Nacogdoches, to . . . — Map (db m118974) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — 8599 — Veterans Memorial
On South Main Street (Loop State Highway 429) at West Buffington Avenue, on the left when traveling north on South Main Street.
Front: In memory of Colonel Benjamin Fort Smith, Dr. Robert C. Neblett, Veterans of The War of 1812 Colonel Benjamin F. Smith Veteran of the Black Hawk War, 1832 Jared E. Groce, Joshua Hadley William Robinson, delegates to the . . . — Map (db m118943) HM
Texas (Guadalupe County), Seguin — 336 — Battleground Prairie
On Alternate U.S. 90 at Pankau Road (County Road 205), on the right when traveling west on U.S. 90Alternate .
Where 80 volunteers commanded by General Edward Burleson defeated Vicente Cordova and 75 Mexicans, Indians and Negroes, March 29, 1839, and drove them from Texas, ending the "Cordova Rebellion." 25 of the enemy were killed. Many volunteers were . . . — Map (db m128126) HM
Texas (Guadalupe County), Seguin — 2852 — Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch
On State Highway 123 3.1 miles north of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling north.
Born in San Antonio, Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) held several offices in the Mexican government before becoming an active participant in the movement for Texas independence. Navarro possessed numerous landholdings in this part of the state. . . . — Map (db m111184) HM
Texas (Guadalupe County), Seguin — 2875 — Juan Nepomuceno Seguin(1806-1890)
On North River Street at East Gonzales Street, on the right when traveling north on North River Street.
Born in San Fernando de Bexar (San Antonio), son of Erasmo Seguin, whose ancestors came to America about 1700. Juan N. Seguin and his father in 1834 rallied fellow Texans against dictator Santa Anna. Young Juan Seguin raised Mexican-Texan troops, . . . — Map (db m128124) HM
Texas (Hall County), Memphis — 2336 — Hall County
On South 6th Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South 6th Street.
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created   •   Organized August 21, 1876 • June 23, 1890 Named in honor of Warren D.C. Hall 1788 – 1867 Member of The San Felipe Convention in 1832 Second in Command of . . . — Map (db m96346) HM
Texas (Harris County), Cypress — 10623 — Matthew Burnett HomesiteTexas Army Camp - April 16, 1836
On Pleasant Grove Road at Telge Road, on the right when traveling east on Pleasant Grove Road.
Matthew Burnett (1795-1842) and his wife, Sarah (Simmons) (1797-1852), came to Texas from Arkansas in 1831 and settled south of here on Cypress Creek. Their home was near the "Harrisburg Road" which stretched 15 miles northwest to a crossroads at . . . — Map (db m50163) HM
Texas (Harris County), Hockley — 10726 — Samuel McCarley HomesiteTexas Army Camp - April 15, 1836
On Waller-Tomball Road (Farm to Market Road 2920) at A J Foyt Road, on the right when traveling west on Waller-Tomball Road.
Samuel McCarley (1775-1838), his wife Celia (1794-1873), and their ten children settled near here on Spring Creek in 1831. By 1836 the McCarley home was located on a well-traveled road linking Washington-on-the-Brazos (30 mi. NW) with Harrisburg (40 . . . — Map (db m140284) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Alexander Hodge
Near Bagby Street south of Lamar Street, on the right when traveling south.
Erected in 1908 by Lady Washington Chapter D.A.R. in memory of Alexander Hodge one of Marion's Men Born in Pennsylvania, 1760 Died in Texas, 1836 A hero of two Republics — Map (db m116858) WM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10654 — Amos B. Edson
On Valentine Street at West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling south on Valentine Street.
Arrived in Texas January 28, 1836, having been recruited in New Orleans for the Army of Texas by Captain Amasa Turner in whose company he served at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, 1837. — Map (db m59589) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15812 — Anson Jones(January 20, 1798 - January 9, 1858)
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
Anson Jones was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. He earned his M.D. degree in Philadelphia in 1827; by October 1833, Jones had moved to Texas, establishing a successful medical practice in Brazoria. In 1835, he helped organize Holland Lodge . . . — Map (db m122935) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10718 — Archibald S. Lewis
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
A member of Captain Benjamin F. Bryant's company at San Jacinto Died in Houston December 3, 1839 — Map (db m129913) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10646 — Daughters of the Republic of Texas
On Crawford Street north of Capitol Street, on the left when traveling north.
On November 6, 1891, seventeen women met at the home of Mrs. Andrew Briscoe at this site to organize an auxiliary to the Texas Veterans Association. Mrs. Anson Jones was elected president of the new organization, Daughters of the Lone Star Republic. . . . — Map (db m62378) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10674 — David Grieves
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
A member of Captain Henry Teal's company at San Jacinto Born in Scotland Died in Houston June 15, 1837 — Map (db m129968) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10742 — Eli Noland
On Saulnier Street at Valentine Street, on the right when traveling west on Saulnier Street.
In Captain William S. Fisher's company at San Jacinto Born in Ohio in 1804 Died in Houston, December 17, 1841 — Map (db m129948) HM

398 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 198
Paid Advertisement