Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Industry & Commerce Historical Markers

872 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 672
 
A Boom for Cumberland Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, March 12, 2015
A Boom for Cumberland Marker
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — A Boom for CumberlandThe National Road Meets the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad — The Historic National Road / The Road That Built The Nation —
The National Road and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad came together at this spot in 1842 at Cumberland’s first railroad station. For a few years, it was necessary for passengers and freight to transfer from railroad cars to coach and wagon for the . . . — Map (db m81402) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — A Canal Boat Replica—The Cumberland
The Cumberland is a full scale replica canal boat, measuring approximately 93 feet long and 14.5 feet wide. It was constructed in 1976 as a Bicentennial project the C&O Canal of Cumberland, Maryland, Inc. (COCCM), a non-profit organization . . . — Map (db m140080) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — A Home on the Boat—The Captain's Cabin
For the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal boatmen and their family or crew, the captain's cabin was their living quarters on the boat. About 10 feet by 14 feet in size, the cabin served as the eating and sleeping area for as few as two and as many as 8-10 . . . — Map (db m140155) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Algonquian Hotel
Algonquian Hotel has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Circa 1926 — Map (db m139109) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — C&O Canal TerminusC&O Canal N.H.P., Maryland — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal was planned to link the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay with Pittsburgh and the Ohio River Valley. Construction began at Georgetown in 1828; by 1850 only 184 of the 365 miles were complete. Financial . . . — Map (db m140078) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Church of St. Patrick, Cumberland
A log chapel dedicated to St. Mary was built on this site in 1791. The first parishioners were mostly English Catholics from Southern Maryland. A brick church replaced the log building in 1939. Cumberland became a major center of transportation and . . . — Map (db m134394) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandTown Map and Directory — Cumberland - The Place To Visit, The Place To Live —
Downtown The Downtown Cumberland Mall is the main shopping and dining district for the city. The brick street is lined with large multi-story commercial buildings, which were built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These buildings . . . — Map (db m139110) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandTown Map and Directory
Downtown Cumberland The Flood of March 29, 1924 inflicted almost $5 million worth of destruction in the City of Cumberland. Telephone, telegraph, roads and electric wires were washed away. Though not as bad, another flood occurred on May 12th . . . — Map (db m139111) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland Terminus: Yesterday and TodayChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Independence Day, July 4th, 1828, would be an important day for Cumberland, Maryland. On that day, far to the east, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad both broke ground. The finish line of these companies' race was the . . . — Map (db m140083) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Explore a Trail NetworkChesapeake & Ohio Canal Towpath Cumberland Maryland — Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, National Park Service —
Hike and bike from Pittsburgh to the Chesapeake Bay. You are standing on part of the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail. Explore the Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay, and the Allegheny Highlands on this trail network that includes both land and . . . — Map (db m140084) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Footer's Dye Works
The Footer's Dye Works building is the last remaining structure of a sizeable industrial complex that was once the largest cleaning and dyeing establishment in the United States—and one of Cumberland's major employers. The building housed the . . . — Map (db m140093) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Irish Laborers
This monument was erected in memory of the Irish laborers who died building the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad 1828 – 1850 — Map (db m140190) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — On this Site Originally Stood the Headquarters of George Washington
On this site originally stood the Headquarters of George Washington, since removed to Riverside Park. He was entertained at David Lynn's house (which later occupied this site) when he came here in 1794 to review the troops during the Whisky . . . — Map (db m17451) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — On This Site Stood Metro Clothes
Owned and managed by Joseph Feldstein, Metro Clothes was established in 1932 and originally located across the street. The business relocated to this site after the 1936 flood. Metro Clothes was a leading outfitter in men’s and boys’ clothing and . . . — Map (db m58358) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — President Washington's Last Visit - 1794
Center Plaque On October 16, 1794, President George Washington arrived in Cumberland to review about 5,000 troops of the Maryland and Virginia militia gathered here during th Whiskey Rebellion. A few days later, this militia army assembled upon . . . — Map (db m17456) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The First Iron Rails
The first iron rails made in the United States were manufactured in 1844 at Mount Savage. Before that time all iron rails were imported from England. — Map (db m445) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The First National Bank and Trust Company of Western Maryland
was originally chartered as the Cumberland Bank of Alleghany by an act of the 1811 Maryland Legislature and opened for business April 1, 1812. this is the oldest bank in Western Maryland and the second oldest National Bank in the state. Local . . . — Map (db m19337) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Life in Pleasant Valley
Before the park was developed in 1974, this valley was rich with farmland and timber. Seven farms worked the soil and grew corn, winter wheat and rye. Two of the farms raised dairy cows. The Raines family farm had approximately 189 acres and had . . . — Map (db m99149) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Martins MountainSunday Drivers and “Tin-Can Tourists"
The National Road enjoyed a revival from about 1910-1960, with the rising popularity of the automobile. Tourist travel began in earnest when cars became reliable enough for the average person to take a long trip. “Waysiders,” people who . . . — Map (db m4922) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Coal Mining
Bituminous coal had been discovered in what is now Allegany County before the French and Indian War. Although farmers worked small individual diggings prior to the Nineteenth Century, it would not be until about 1820 that coal obtained some degree . . . — Map (db m96387) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgMaryland's Mountain City
Established: 1812 Elevation: 1820' Population: 9,002 County: Allegany Situated in the headwaters of the Georges Creek basin, Frostburg was settled in the early 1800's and served as a traveler's stop along the newly constructed National . . . — Map (db m96390) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lewis J. Ort Library
In 1976, the library opened as the fourth location for institutional book holdings. In 1990, this building was named as the Lewis J. Ort Library to honor local business man and philanthropist. — Map (db m134529) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad
The Railroad had reached Frostburg in 1852 and by 1863, the Cumberland and Pennsylvania (C&P) line ran from Cumberland through Mt. Savage to Frostburg and down George's Creek across the Potomac River to Piedmont, West Virginia. This connected the . . . — Map (db m96386) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Baltimore Orioles (1920 - 1924)
In the middle of the 1920 season, John "Jack" Dunn I signed Grove with the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, a minor league team. Grove led the league in strikeouts during his four seasons with the Orioles, and the team won the league . . . — Map (db m139849) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Coming Home to Lonaconing
In 1929, Grove opened "Lefty's Place"—a duckpin and ten-pin bowling alley and pool hall located diagonally from Lefty Grove Memorial Park, on Union Street. He operated the establishment, with help during the baseball season, until 1961. . . . — Map (db m139842) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — First Successful Coke Fired Iron Furnace in AmericaFired May 9, 1839 - Closed 1856
Named to the National Register of Historic Places — June 19, 1973 Presented by the Preservation Society of Allegany County, Inc. May 1974 — Map (db m139084) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — George's Creek Coal and Iron Company (1837-1855)(Lonaconing Iron Furnace)
Midway between the towns of Frostburg and Westernport stands the Lonaconing Iron Furnace - a mute reminder of a once important industry in the George's Creek valley. The George's Creek Coal & Iron Company was founded in 1835. In 1836, an act of . . . — Map (db m139083) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Lonaconing's Tumultuous Past
Founded in 1837 by the Georges Creek Coal and Iron Company, Lonaconing has endured its share of disasters. On September 7, 1881, a devastating fire wiped out the entire business district. Although the town rebuilt, the community suffered through at . . . — Map (db m139064) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — The Early Years — Lonaconing, Maryland
Robert Moses "Lefty" Grove was born in the Charlestown section of Lonaconing, Md., on March 6, 1900, to John and Emma Catherine (Beeman) Grove. Raised in a coal mining community during times of desperate poverty, young Grove had to abandon his . . . — Map (db m139851) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Turnbull Mine Car
Bill Turnbull was the original owner of the coal car. The car was removed from the Turnbull mine in 1985. Second owner of the car was Bob Phillips. The car was then used as a decorative yard item. In 1987 the car was moved to the . . . — Map (db m139087) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — Mount Savage Iron Works1839
In 1844, the first iron rails made in the United States were produced on this spot by the Mount Savage Iron Works. Erected in 1839, the iron works contributed extensviely to the development of the Mount Savage Community. — Map (db m5846) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — On This Site in 1844
On this site in 1844 were rolled the first iron rails made in the United States. For this technological achievement, the Mount Savage Iron Works was awarded a silver medal by the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia This plaque was dedicated in . . . — Map (db m114318) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), North Branch — TwiggtownFounded 1768
Robert Twigg was the first Twigg to acquire land in what is now Allegany County, Maryland. In 1768 he purchased this land known as "Sink Hole Bottom". On this site, Austin D. Twigg (1863-1941) ran the Twiggtown General Store and Post Office as . . . — Map (db m144697) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Oldtown and Lock 70Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
The basin before you, above Lock 70, provided a landing for canal boats. A general store was built adjoining the original lockhouse. Across the lock a feed store was built. Boatmen could leave the hustle and bustle of Cumberland and tie up here to . . . — Map (db m140010) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 159 Main Street
This commercial structure was one of several built between 1908-1913 after a fire destroyed the City Hotel. Merchant James F. Strange had the building constructed during his ownership. The building has remained in the Strange Family and in retail . . . — Map (db m114549) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 167 Main Street at Conduit Street
This site owned by Amos Garrett was surveyed as Lot 46 on James Stoddert's 1718 plan of Annapolis. The Lloyd Dulany family lived here from 1761 until 1783. The group of buildings known successively as Mann's Tavern, City Tavern and the City Hotel . . . — Map (db m6194) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 41 Cornhill Street
In 1771 when Annapolis merchant Charles Wallace laid out plot lines on Cornhill Street, former ship captain Beriah Maybury leased two plots and built this house which he opened as the King's Arms Tavern in 1773. In 1792 he renamed it the Sign of the . . . — Map (db m6450) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Admiral Ben MoreellFather of the Seabees
[First Panel]:] About the Seabees Born in the early days of World War II when the nation was in dire peril, their mission was to build bases for the combat forces, to defend those bases, and to provide other support of whatever . . . — Map (db m9620) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis DepictedCity Dock — Public Art In Annapolis —
2005 Wings and Sails Annapolis has a stunning array of outdoor sculpture, paintings, murals, and other public artwork. Each of these paintings was commissioned by the Art in Public Places Commission. "Wings and Sails" is . . . — Map (db m114800) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis Water Company
Chartered in 1865 by the Maryland General Assembly after a fire at the State House in 1863. Waterworks began operation in 1866, designed by noted civil engineer William Rich Hutton, who had recently completed Washington Aqueduct. Innovative concrete . . . — Map (db m51852) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis: Capital of Commerce
In the decades before the American Revolution, Annapolis was the customs port for the upper Bay western shore. Ships clearing in and out paid duties and fees to the local naval officer. With good shipyards (including Ship Carpenters Lot north of the . . . — Map (db m19288) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 6 — Anne Catharine GreenAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
This image of Anne Catharine Green pays homage to her as the first woman printer/publisher in the country. Appointed by the Maryland Assembly as the Official Printer of the Province, she printed all public documents and currency of the colony. Green . . . — Map (db m114789) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Art in AnnapolisAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
Annapolis Charter 300, the city wide commemoration in 2008 of the 1708 city charter granted during Queen Anne's reign, was especially rich in inspiring original public art, music and choral work, a ballet suite, films, sculpture, photography, . . . — Map (db m114546) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Bay Workboats
Over the past 400 years, distinctive types of boats were developed for seafood harvesting and shipping on the Bay. Native Americans made the first dugout canoe from a hollowed-out log. The earliest English boat builders, called . . . — Map (db m114883) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Beyond the BridgeCity Dock — The Neighborhood of Eastport —
1870 A New Village across Spa Creek The maritime industry and the history of Annapolis are closely intertwined. This connection extends beyond downtown to historic Eastport, the neighborhood located across the Spa Creek Bridge. . . . — Map (db m114799) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Brown-Leanos Memorial Park
Dedicated to the Brown and Leanos families that operated a grocery and restaurant business, respectively at this location since the late 1890's. Originally dedicated on September 10, 1990 Rededicated May 13, 2000 — Map (db m6387) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Cap'n Herbie SadlerThe Legacy of an Eastport Waterman
Herbert Edgar Sadler was born to a waterman's family in 1902. He began learning the trade at the age of 12, earning a penny for each fish he cleaned for a local seafood vendor. His experience led to a life's work on the water. Cap'n Sadler . . . — Map (db m130941) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Coastal EvolutionMarket House — The Shoreline of Annapolis —
1878 City Dock in Annapolis In the 1700s, the shore of Annapolis followed approximately along the line of buildings that now front Dock Street, Market Space, and part of Compromise Street—everything closer to the water is . . . — Map (db m114794) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Commander William Lewis Herndon1813 - 1857 — Naval Officer - Explorer - Merchant Captain —
In command of the Central America, home-bound with California Gold seekers, Captain Herndon lost his life in a gallant effort to save ship and lives during a cyclone off Hatteras, September 12, 1857 "Forgetful of self, in his death he . . . — Map (db m7213) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Cornhill & Fleet Streets
The oldest surviving map of Annapolis, drawn by James Stoddert in 1718, shows that the area now occupied by Corhill and Fleet Streets, had been set aside for Governor Francis Nocholson for use as a garden, summer house and vineyard. In 1771 Charles . . . — Map (db m17689) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Deadrise Defined
Little HES is a classic example of a Chesapeake Bay "deadrise", built for fishing and crabbing in the summer and oystering in the winter. The term "deadrise" refers to the underwater shape of a hull. Little HES has a sharp vee-entry at . . . — Map (db m114886) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Eastport's Oldest House
This is the oldest house in Eastport. For nearly 100 years it belonged to the Williams family. Jonas and Louisa Williams and their eight children moved here in 1876. They used the first floor as a grocery store, selling homemade sauerkraut to . . . — Map (db m114880) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1774 - The "Annapolis Tea Party"Annapolis Maritime Museum
The brigantine Peggy Stewart, named after the daughter of the owner, Annapolis merchant Anthony Stewart, sailed by here on her return from England on October 14, 1774. Like other Maryland merchants, Stewart had agreed not to import tea in . . . — Map (db m114868) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1887 - The Age of SteamAnnapolis Maritime Museum
Robert Fulton launched the first commercially viable steamboat on the Hudson River in 1807, although a Marylander named James Rumsey demonstrated a working steamboat on the Potomac River as early as 1784. Steamboats started running on the Chesapeake . . . — Map (db m114867) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1919 - Oysters: The Bay's "White Gold"Annapolis Maritime Museum
At the turn of the 20th century, eight or more oyster houses surrounded Annapolis City Dock and harbor. Oysters were shucked, packed and shipped all around the country by steamboat and railroad. The market for "Chesapeake white gold" was so . . . — Map (db m114866) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Gateway to DiscoveryAnnapolis
Look around the harbor. Imagine what the first colonists saw more than 350 years ago when they first viewed this Chesapeake Bay peninsula: a pristine, abundant natural site with deep, protected harbors that had experienced little human settlement. . . . — Map (db m19266) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Harvesting the Bay
Methods of harvesting oysters and crabs on the Chesapeake Bay have changed very little over the years. The internal combustion engine, invented at the end of the 19th century, eventually displaced sails on workboats. The addition of . . . — Map (db m114885) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Light House Bistro
Light House Bistro serves the community as a gathering place for patrons from all walks of life. This Artwork by Sally Wern Comport pays tribute to the area's history and the people that make it special. The Presidents Hill neighborhood is named . . . — Map (db m114544) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Mann's TavernSite of the Annapolis Convention — September 11-14, 1786 —
Just north of this building, facing Main Street, stood Mann’s Tavern where twelve delegates from five states met in 1786 to discuss commercial problems of the new nation. Their call for another convention in Philadelphia to render the government . . . — Map (db m130220) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Marion Warren's six photographs capture this historic Annapolis neighborhood in a sleepier timeAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
Marion Warren's six photographs capture this historic Annapolis neighborhood in a sleepier time: a lone midshipman slowly trudging through the snow by St. Anne's Church; the official vehicle in front of Farmer's National Bank; men chatting by the . . . — Map (db m130943) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Maritime Annapolis: An Enduring Legacy
From its earliest history until the 1920s, log canoes, merchant sailing ships, workboats, ferry and steam boats, comprised the majority of vessels in these waters. But after local businessmen developed marinas to accommodate pleasure craft, the . . . — Map (db m19292) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Middleton Tavern
Historic Tavern Commemorating the role of taverns in the political and social life in our country Middleton Tavern Established 1750 Tavern Month, May 1970 — Map (db m6383) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Old Treasury BuildingRestored 1950
This is the oldest state building in Maryland. It was used by the commissioners for emitting bills of credit from 1730 to 1779; by the Treasurer of the Western Shore from 1779 to 1851; by the Maryland State Treasurer from 1852 to 1903; and has been . . . — Map (db m5427) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Oysters: Vital to Commerce. Vital to Culture.
"We wasted our inheritance by improvidence and mismanagement and blind confidence." William K. Brooks, The Oyster, 1891 Vital to Commerce For over 100 years, oysters were one of the Chesapeake Bay's most valuable commercial . . . — Map (db m114863) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Oysters: Vital to Nature. Vital to Our Future.
"State sets new record for oyster restoration; 750,000,000 spat placed in rivers that feed the Bay." The Capital, 2009 Vital to Nature The native Eastern or American oyster (Crassostrea virginica) is a keystone species . . . — Map (db m114864) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Oysters: Vital to the Lifeline of the Chesapeake
1600's Captain John Smith and the Jamestown Expedition wrote: Oysters "lay on the ground as thick as stones." 1700's Chesapeake traveler Francis Louis Michel wrote: "The abundance of oysters is incredible." 1870-1890 . . . — Map (db m114862) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Roger W. MoyerVisionaries of the 1960s — August 16, 1934 —
Main Street, first named Church Street in 1696, provided a route to and from the busy port at City Dock. The street quickly became a corridor of commercial, political, and professional, and entertainment services for the City of Annapolis and the . . . — Map (db m114792) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 3 — Sally Wern Comport's "Shaping a City"Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
Sally Wern Comport's two dimensional artwork "Shaping a City" on the Newman Park fence celebrates the foundation of our city: the working class, its farmers, its watermen, factory workers, carpenters, other highly skilled tradesmen, and suppliers of . . . — Map (db m114859) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Shiplap HouseCirca 1715
One of the oldest surviving houses in Annapolis, Shiplap House served as a store and tavern in the eighteenth century. The house is named for the random-width flush siding (called shiplap) on the rear facade and northeast ell. The building now . . . — Map (db m17690) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Skipjack Lydia DAnnapolis Maritime Museum
The Lydia D is a replica model of a skipjack which made its appearance on the Chesapeake Bay in the late 1800s. The skipjack, with its shallow draft and centerboard, was used primarily to dredge for oysters. The skipjack design was so popular . . . — Map (db m114873) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — State Circle & Maryland Ave.A historic perspective
1849 The Sons of Temperance buy the vacant corner lot. 1853 Temperance Hall is erected, the present two-story brick building. 1891 A grocery store and a market share the 1st floor. The Sons of Temperance occupy the 2nd . . . — Map (db m114554) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Steamboats Give Way to the New Bay Bridge
"There was a wharf where the steamboats came in. Right down at the foot of Prince George Street...The Tolchester boat used to come in and they'd pick up one thing or another, an dbring them all up Prince George Street. Cows, horses, whatever they . . . — Map (db m19290) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 1 — Sy Mohr's City Dock Harbormaster CollageAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
Sy Mohr's City Dock Harbormaster Collage speaks to the magical landscape that welcomes citizens and visitors alike to the City Dock and the historical City of Annapolis. His work takes us on a trip through time, progressively moving from the past in . . . — Map (db m114802) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The City Water SystemAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
The first important work on water sanitation, that of Edwin Chadwick in 1842, finally seemed to have caught local attention in the 1850s when the City Council passed the first ordinances governing disposal of human remains. A decade later, large . . . — Map (db m114561) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Claude House26 West Street
During the second half of the 18th century, shoemaker Allen Quynn owned or leased a large portion of both sides of the first block of West Street. At one time this building was Quynn's home, but in 1767 Quynn leased the house to watchmaker William . . . — Map (db m75681) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Jonas Green House
The 1718 Stoddert survey map indicates William Bladen as the first recorded owner of lot 42. Charles Carroll purchased the property in 1725 and may have been responsible for the construction of the original side hall, double parlor plan when he and . . . — Map (db m75719) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Market House
The current Market House is the third to be built on this site. In 1784, Nicholas Carroll, Jacob Hurst, Charles Wallace, Joseph Williams, Thomas Harwood, John Davidson, James MacKubin and James Williams, all prominent businessmen, donated the land . . . — Map (db m114795) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Old Treasury BuildingThe Oldest Public Building in Annapolis
The Old Treasury Building was built by Patrick Creagh in 1735-36 for the Commissioners for Emitting Bills of Credit who issued the first paper money of the colony. Known in the colonial period as the Paper Currency Office, and the Loan Office, the . . . — Map (db m126271) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Sign of the Bible
Built about 1680 The dwelling house of Mr. Jonas Green Printer to this province 1738 - 1767 Printer and publisher of the Maryland Gazette, 1745 - 1767 Flag Day, June 14, 1932 — Map (db m75718) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The United States Naval Academy Bridge
A bridge has served this area since 1836 when a timber trestle bridge with a swing span was built across the Severn River. It was replaced with a concrete and steel low-level drawbridge in 1924. After more than 70 years it became necessary to . . . — Map (db m22547) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Transportation on the Chesapeake Highway
"...two Ferry boats were procured...we made the mouth of the Severn River but the ignorance of the People on board, with respect to the navigation of it run us aground first on Greenbury Point from whence with much exertion and difficulty we got . . . — Map (db m19289) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Watermen and Working Harbor
More than a dozen oyster houses ringed the waterfront by the 1870s, some built out into the harbor on pilings. Throughout the winter, local watermen harvested shellfish from the Bay and sold their catch to the packing houses. Shuckers, many of whom . . . — Map (db m19291) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Davidsonville — Middle Plantation
600 acres patented in 1664 to Mareen Duval, Esq., great Hugenot and native of France. Appointed Commissioner for Advancement of Trade 1683, he died here 1694. The plantation remained the ancestral seat of a junior branch of the Duvall family for . . . — Map (db m43527) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Arnold C. GayVisionaries of the 1960s — February 14, 1919-January 26, 1994 —
A New England native, sailor Arnie Gay steered into the Annapolis harbor on the wooden schooner Delilah in the late 1940s with $7.00 in his pocket and an enthusiasm to bring a sailing empire to the City’s neglected and abandoned waterfront. He . . . — Map (db m114878) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Eastport's Old "Main Street"
The historic buildings you can see from here date back to before 1900, when the first bridge to Annapolis connected to the end of this street. In those days, Fourth Street was the bustling commercial heart of Eastport. Anything you wanted from . . . — Map (db m114860) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Eastport's Soul
Many African-American families settled here more than a century ago. these families, who have lived here for four generations, are the heart and soul of this neighborhood. Their religious, educational and cultural institutions are pillars of . . . — Map (db m5653) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Murphy's Row
You are standing at the corner of "Murphy's Row." These ten row houses were built in 1888 by Charles James Murphy for laborers employed at his company, the Annapolis Glass Works. The houses bear witness to Eastport's early years. The seventh . . . — Map (db m5729) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Glass Works
The private home at the corner of Severn Avenue and Second Street was once the head office for one of Eastport's largest businesses. The Annapolis Glass Works - later the Severn Glass Company - produced china, glass and pottery from 1885 to 1902. . . . — Map (db m5887) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Maritime Tradition Lives On
Prestigious sailboat racing events have made Annapolis famous. But the real reason for Annapolis' reputation as "America's Sailing Capital" is the community of Eastport. There are more marine-related businesses here than anywhere on the East Coast . . . — Map (db m5727) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Start of Something Big
This is where Eastport's famed boat building industry began. On this site in 1868, a German immigrant named Wilhelm Heller began crafting fine wooden boats. His reputation spread and business flourished. Heller's became the largest boatyard on Spa . . . — Map (db m5734) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Watermen of Back Creek
During the 1920s, the houses on this street belonged to African-American families. Most of the men living here worked on the water, launching often home-built boats from their back yards. They harvested oysters from September to April, and crabs in . . . — Map (db m5650) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Three Great Boat Yards, One Location
As you walk among these buildings, imagine wooden boats taking form. Picture men sweating in the hot sun as they plank a hull, caulk a seam or varnish a rail. Envision Navy officers in khaki uniforms boarding vessels for sea trials. From 1913 to . . . — Map (db m5888) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Welcome to Eastport
Eastport's distinctive history, character and identity grew from maritime roots. The marinas that now serve pleasure boaters were once filled with wooden workboats. So crowded was the shoreline, it was said that an enterprising cat could flit from . . . — Map (db m5890) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Welcome to Eastport
Eastport's distinctive history, character and identity grew from maritime roots. The marinas that now serve pleasure boaters were once filled with wooden workboats. So crowded was the shoreline, it was said that an enterprising cat could flit from . . . — Map (db m5891) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Archaeology at London Town
[photo of archaeological dig] Archaeological Dig: excavation of Rumney's Tavern. Finding the Lost Town of London
Map (db m22107) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Dr. Hill's Medicinal Plants
[photo of plants and tools] Early medicinal plants and tools Colonial Medicine Chest Where did the colonial doctor or housewife turn when they needed to treat the sick? The plants of the field, hedgerow and marsh were their pharmacy. . . . — Map (db m22138) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Establishing a Colonial Town
Scattered Settlements Early Chesapeake Bay colonists did not settle in the concentrated villages typical of their home in England. Instead, they lived on large plots of waterfront land that isolated them from their neighbors. Cheap and . . . — Map (db m22112) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — London Town Ferry
From London Town, and original port of entry, a ferry crossed South River. It linked a north-south system of roads from about 1695 until the 19th century. — Map (db m3419) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Scott Street
The ravine in front of you was once Scott Street. Rumney's Tavern, the Brown Carpenter Shop and the Brown House are on this side of the street. On the other side were a number of structures, some of which were commercial enterprises such as . . . — Map (db m22141) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — The Ferry at London Town
A Transportation Network Ferries were a critical link in the colonial road system. The ferry crossing at London Town was part of a larger transportation network that extended from Virginia to New York, moving people and goods to market along . . . — Map (db m22143) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — William Brown House
Location, Location, Location One of the mysteries that still surrounds the lost town of London is the William Brown House. Built between 1758 and 1764 overlooking the South River, William Brown intended it to serve as his dwelling and an . . . — Map (db m22137) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — School for Bakers and CooksFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
In compliance with instructions contained in a letter from Adjutant General of the Army, dated March 17, 1924, a School for Bakers and Cooks was established at Camp Meade in April of that year. Throughout its existence at the post, the school's . . . — Map (db m19702) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — White Oak(Quercus Alba)
Dedicated September 14, 1986 to commemorate the Becentennial of the Annapolis Convention, September 11-14, 1786. Delaware, New York, Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania Commission on the Bicentennial of the Constitution of the United . . . — Map (db m19629) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Carrie Weedon House
Imagine life in the Carrie Weedon house in 1901. Kerosene lamps provided light for reading, sewing, or playing the piano. Water came from an outdoor hand pump. A privy, a small barn, and a shed were located out back. Food was grown in the garden or . . . — Map (db m6200) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Welcome to Galesville
The members of the Galesville Heritage Society invite you to explore their historic village. First settled in 1654 on the banks of West River, Galesville and its history are fundamentally linked to the Chesapeake Bay. Native Americans, English . . . — Map (db m6201) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — 8 — Women of Hartge Yacht Yard (1934-2006)Hartge Nautical Museum Walking Tour of the Yard
Alice Wayson Hartge was the wife of Cap'n Oscar and the mother of eleven. When Oscar took over the boat yard in 1934, she became the bookkeeper, time keeper, and bill payer. Having the only phone in the area, any calls required her to blow a . . . — Map (db m130030) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Curtis Creek Furnace
The Curtis Creek Furnace, located on the south side of Furnace Creek, one-half mile east of Ritchie Highway, was established in 1759 and with a foundry built in 1829, continued to turn out high grade charcoal pig iron until abandoned in 1851. — Map (db m2867) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Defending the Chesapeake BayStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Curtis Creek Iron Furnace (also calle Aetna or Etna Furnace), established c. 1759, stood on the south side of Furnace Branch Creek in Glen Burnie, where Rte. 10 now crosses. The location ensured access to local iron ore deposits, wood from . . . — Map (db m98379) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Harundale MallOpened: October 1, 1958
This site was originally settled in 1649 and was known as the Westminster parish. About 1780 it was the property of Francis Cromwell, a cousin of the monarch of England. It was obtained by the Curtis Creek Mining Co. in 1850 from the estate of John . . . — Map (db m14158) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — Nike AjaxAnti-Aircraft Missile Radar
In the 1950's there were seven batteries of Nike Ajax anti-aircraft missiles located around Baltimore to protect the city, Friendship Airport, and various industrial sites, as well as the Aberdeen ordnance and Edgewood chemical facilities from . . . — Map (db m131626) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Sawmill
Sawmills were originally powered by water, making ownership of a mill difficult for those who could not harness water power. In the 1880's, smaller sawmills that could be run by steam engines began to be manufactured. Many companies began to . . . — Map (db m145230) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Tobacco Barn
Once harvested, tobacco leaves were placed on stakes and then hung across large poles from the ceiling down, to cure or dry and preserve the leaves. Curing was accomplished by a variety of ways, including using heated metal pipes or flues, wood . . . — Map (db m99088) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Garden GazeboDowns Park History Moment
During the period 1913 to 1937 this property was the summer estate of H.R. Mayo Thom. In Mother's Garden was this thatched roof gazebo. The gazebo was built by Reginald Giddings, a handyman who worked or the Thoms. Mr. Giddings was an Englishman . . . — Map (db m147654) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Hancock's ResolutionBuilt c. 1785
Recorded on the National Register of Historic Places 1975. Second Marker (inside the facility): Hancock's Resolution Unusual for its stone construction, this house was built c1785 by Stephen & Belinda Ridgely Hancock, a . . . — Map (db m9064) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Seven — W B & A Electric Railroad1908-1935
WB&A Road was constructed on the right-of-way of the main line of the Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis Electric Railroad. Using the most advanced technology of the time, the high-speed line provided passenger and freight service between Baltimore . . . — Map (db m35050) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Severna Park — Earleigh Heights Store
Earleigh Heights Store. Historic Home of Charles J. and Mary Novak Katlic and their children Marie, Charles, Eveylyn, James, Helen, Margie and Elizabeth. — Map (db m2898) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — At Work — At Play on the BayFrom Waterman's Home to Fishing Club
The story of the Captain Salem Avery House mirrors that of Shady Side and the larger history of the Chesapeake Bay region. 1860-1921 The Avery Family Home In the mid-19th century, a young man came to Shady Side from New York to make . . . — Map (db m130026) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Boatbuilding in Shady Side
I drew it up, most of the time on a piece of plywood, so it wouldn't get wrinkled up, and I'd use the measurements from that. I always liked to build boats, and I like to change the style of them and try to get something to look pretty good. . . . — Map (db m130019) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Cannon - From Shady Side's Rural Home Hotel
This cannon stood guard over the grounds of the Rural Home Hotel for seven decades at a time when visitors flocked to Shady Side to enjoy summers on the Chesapeake. How did this War of 1812 cannon end up here in Shady Side? In the . . . — Map (db m130024) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Crabbing
You just can't put your line in any place and get a crab. You got to know where they are. I could give some people my boat and line, but they'd starve to death. You have to have a feel for it. — George Procter, age 83 . . . — Map (db m130016) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Edna Florence
Deadrise designed for stability in oystering Built in Shady Side in 1933 by Capt. Perry Rogers — Map (db m130021) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Eels, Ducks, and Clams
I haven't seen 15 bushels of clams in so long... You do worse more days than you do better. Nature can't put it back as fast as man takes it away. — Ellsworth Brown, clammer, age 55 (1977) Eeling Bay . . . — Map (db m130006) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Fishing
He had powerful arms, shoulders, and hands. Pulling and hauling on nets all of his life, his hands were huge. He was a waterman. — Howard Shenton, age 67 (1986) The Catch Fishing has been a year-round . . . — Map (db m130007) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Going to Market
When you got into Baltimore, you'd fall short maybe twenty-five, thirty bushel...'Cause they took a good round bushel, you know, out of it. And this is life, the way we lived it. — Erwood Avery, Age 84 (1991) Rise and . . . — Map (db m130018) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Oystering
Then I took up oystering, went on the water oystering, and, oh my, I stayed out there and worked, and worked, and worked. — Julius Dennis, age 88 (1984) Scooping and Raking — Tonging and Dredging To . . . — Map (db m130012) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Seasons of the Waterman
A bad day on the water is better than the best day on land. — J.R. Gross, age 32 (2000) To make a living, a waterman thinks not in terms of weekly paychecks but rather, how much his family will bring in during the . . . — Map (db m130004) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — The Edna Florence
For tonging oysters — the best built boat there ever was... — Kenneth Nieman, age 72 (1984) In 1933, a boathouse on Parrish Creek in Shady Side, Captain Perry Rogers built the deadrise on display for . . . — Map (db m130020) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — The Changing Waterfront
Erosion has dramatically altered the waterfront you see — washing away more than 200 feet of land in Captain Avery's "front yard." It is said that the Avery family had to move the house back three times in the years they owned it. The original . . . — Map (db m130022) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Transformation of the Avery House and over a Century of Expansion
The house Salem Avery built for his family in 1860 still exists today, but you have to look closely to see it. The original home was modest and had only one room with a loft. Imagine the building in front of you reduced to just the colored . . . — Map (db m130002) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Welcome to the Captain Avery Museum
The Captain Avery Museum is a place to discover Chesapeake Bay life — past, present, and future. This property, first developed in the 1850's, has been continuously owned by the people connected to the water by occupation, recreational . . . — Map (db m130001) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — “…a truly affectionate wife”
Frances "Fanny" H. Peachy, like most women buried here, remains largely anonymous. The daughter of a local minister, Frances H. Andrews (1799-1822) married Baltimore saddlemaker Thomas G. Peachy on February 28, 1821. Less than a year later she was . . . — Map (db m6644) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 6 — Working Point by David Hess1997
While seemingly toy-like, the sculpture neither moves nor did it ever function. It was designed to integrate 90 tons of obsolete machinery from Baltimore's industries, highlighting their many interconnections. All the components were donated to . . . — Map (db m131183) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1781 Friends Meeting House
The Friends Meeting House is the oldest religious building in Baltimore. In 1781, the Patapsco Friends Meeting, formerly located on Harford Road two miles north of the Inner Harbor, moved to this site. In 1784 a group of Quakers established a school . . . — Map (db m6282) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 708 South Bond Street
. . . — Map (db m145939) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 9 North Front Street
A survival from the 18th century, this house was built in the section of the city known as “Jonestown.” Designed and built in the 1790’s in the Federal style, 9 North Front Street was once part of a neighborhood of merchants, . . . — Map (db m2726) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A History of Firsts in BaltimoreThe Baltimore Museum of Industry
From its founding in 1729, Baltimore’s proximity to the Chesapeake Bay was the engine that drove commerce, trade and industry. The most inland port on the eastern seaboard, Baltimore boomed as a leading city, center of industrial innovation and . . . — Map (db m102969) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Neighborhood Goes to MarketLexington Market
Between 1820 and 1945, Baltimore grew from a small port city to a commercial and industrial center of both regional and national importance. Anchored by Lexington Marker this neighborhood still reflects that period of growth. During the 19th and . . . — Map (db m103244) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Swashbuckling Merchant
Irish-born adventurer John O’Donnell (1749–1805) was a native of Limerick who made his way to India as a youth. He sailed into Baltimore on a late summer day in 1785 aboard a ship laden with Chinese goods, thus opening Baltimore’s trade with . . . — Map (db m6635) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Vast Hospital Once Stood Here
"Our work was here and no less heroic than the ones who went over . . ." Emily Raine Williams, Army Nurse Corps. "General Hospital No. 2 has been built entirely around the original fort . . ." Captain . . . — Map (db m145541) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Alex Brown Investment Banking Company — Historic Site —
On this site in 1900 was constructed the banking headquarters for the Alex Brown Investment Banking Company, America's oldest banking house in continuous operation. This building survived the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 with evidence of that event . . . — Map (db m7042) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Alex. Brown & Sons Company Building
This building was home to Alex. Brown & Sons Company, founded in 1800, the first and oldest continually operating investment banking firm in the United States. The building represents the firm's and Baltimore's importance in the financial world of . . . — Map (db m7041) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — An Active Port for 300 YearsThe Port of Baltimore
Proximity to the Chesapeake Bay has been the driving force in Baltimore's eminence in commerce and transportation. But the story of Baltimore's port is actually older than Baltimore itself. In 1706 - two decades before the founding of Baltimore - . . . — Map (db m34845) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — An Old Mill Stream
If you were standing here in the early 1800s, you would have been listening to the waterwheel humming away at the Windsor Mill across this bridge. This section of the Gwynns Falls Trail is built over a three-mile millrace that carried water to power . . . — Map (db m6340) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Archaeological RemainsFrederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park — A Living Classroom —
For the past 300 years, wharfs have jutted into Baltimore harbor, and been home to commercial and residential buildings. What is known today as Chase’s Wharf, where you are standing, had long been a bustling site with one and two-story frame and . . . — Map (db m103331) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Arts Tower
Once known as the Bromo Seltzer Tower, this building is a monument to Captain Isaac Emerson, the imaginative chemist who developed a famous headache remedy, and named it after Mt. Bromo - an active volcano in Java. Emerson came to Baltimore in . . . — Map (db m6982) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Chamber of Commerce
Until the 1850's, Baltimore's grain trading took place in "counting rooms" of individual merchants or on Bowley's Wharf where an effort was made to standardize corn and grain prices by displaying grain samples on barrel heads and window ledges. . . . — Map (db m127236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Equitable Society
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m115208) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Slave Trade
Although the United States banned the Transatlantic Slave Trade in 1808, a domestic trade from the Upper South to the emerging cotton-growing regions of the Deep South thrived until the 1860's. Baltimore-based dealers supplied the trade, operating . . . — Map (db m71935) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore's Great Fire
Started 10-48 A.M. February 7 1904 Under control 11-30 A.M. February 8 1904 Property destroyed - $100 000 000 Insurance paid - $32 000 000 Acres covered - 140 Lives lost - none Beginning at Liberty and German Streets the fire . . . — Map (db m7321) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Beehler Umbrella Factory
On this site, from 1886-1908, stood the Beehler Umbrella Factory, the oldest umbrella house in America. Founded in Baltimore by Francis Beehler in 1828. — Map (db m4895) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bernard von Kapff
Bernard von Kapff (1770-1829) put his stamp on early Baltimore as a merchant, public figure and leader of the German community. A native of Detmold in northern Germany, von Kapff established a tobacco importing business in 1795, and later joined . . . — Map (db m6649) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1 — Bethlehem Steel Shipyard Crane1942
This crane was a fixture on Pier 3 of Bethlehem Steel's Key Highway Shipyard facility. It was one of three identical cranes used to repair war-damaged ships during World War II. The Bethlehem Steel Corporation acquired the Baltimore Dry Dock Company . . . — Map (db m131177) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Brewer’s Park
On this site in 1787, Thomas Peters built the original brewery that he sold to Edward Johnson (Mayor of Baltimore, 1808-1814, 1822). It was during Johnson’s ownership of the brewery, and while serving as Mayor of the City of Baltimore in 1813, that . . . — Map (db m102943) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Brown’s Arcade
Named for the governor who developed it, Brown's Arcade is a unique and early example of adaptive reuse in Baltimore. The four buildings that make up the Arcade were originally constructed as rowhouses in the 1820's. After the Great Fire of 1904, . . . — Map (db m5565) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building a City and a Nation: At the CrossroadsMount Vernon Cultural Walk
Twice in the 20th century, Baltimoreans completely reinvented their downtown-by necessity in the early 1900s and by plan mid-century.

In 1904, Baltimore’s downtown vanished when 140 acres were destroyed by fire. Within ten years, Baltimore had . . . — Map (db m103262) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Building High Society: Captains of CommerceMount Vernon Cultural Walk
The upper part of the Mount Vernon neighborhood was once part of Belvedere, the country estate of Colonel John Eager Howard, a Revolutionary War hero, U.S. Senator, and Maryland Governor. His magnificent late 18th-century mansion stood on the . . . — Map (db m102868) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Buy Where You Can Work Campaign & Higher EducationPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Although the Pennsylvania Avenue of the 1920s was Baltimore’s premier shopping district for African Americans, many of the businesses that served them were owned by whites who refused to hire African Americans from the neighborhood. In 1933, . . . — Map (db m102023) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Canton House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m127233) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Captain John O'Donnell1749-1805
Captain John O’Donnell, the founder of the Canton Community, was a man of great vision and accomplishment. He initiated trade between Canton, China and Baltimore in 1785 operating his own merchant sailing vessels. This public square once the site of . . . — Map (db m62256) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Caretaker HouseCrimea Estate
1920 Eagle Drive, Leakin Park, Caretaker House dedicated to three generations of the Stanley Kirk family for their tireless hard work on the Crimea Estate/Leakin Park from 1895-1979.

Mayor Sheila Dixon, Baltimore City Department of Recreation . . . — Map (db m102653) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Hunting Lodge
This stone house, commonly known as the “Carroll Hunting Lodge,” is one of the oldest in the Mount Washington area, dating from about 1790. It stands on what was once a vast tract owned by Charles Carroll of Carrollton. Carroll was on . . . — Map (db m114584) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Mansion
Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737–1832), the last surviving, and only Roman Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, wintered here during the last twelve years of his life. Built circa 1808, the mansion is the grandest . . . — Map (db m3204) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Caulkers' Houses
In the early 1780s Ann Bond Fell Giles laid out for development the area called Fell's Point, just south of the existing Fell's Prospect community. Development was in part to provide housing needed to meet the demands of the growing maritime . . . — Map (db m109369) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Chamber of Commerce Building
Built between 1904 and 1905, this Renaissance Revival building was once the commercial hub of Baltimore's grain trade. Standing five-stories tall and extending the length of a city block, the building was home to the Baltimore Chamber of Commerce, . . . — Map (db m127235) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — City Center
Just north of the Inner Harbor is Downtown's municipal, business and financial district, also referred to as City Center, a prime east coast location for corporate headquarters and financial institutions. City Center's most pervasive . . . — Map (db m115210) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Craig Law Building
. . . — Map (db m142376) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Creating an African American NeighborhoodPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
The creation of Baltimore’s premier African American neighborhood, which began with African Americans buying houses along Druid Hill Avenue, sparked segregation battles and practices throughout the country and the world. Dramatic change from . . . — Map (db m101714) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Dickeyville's Historic Legacy
Dickeyville has been known by several other names - Tschudi, Franklinville, Wetheredville, Hillsdale - depending on who owned the grist, paper, or textile mills powered by the Gwynns Falls. Both the Wethereds and Dickeys ran their mill operations as . . . — Map (db m6339) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Baltimore: Four Centuries of ChangeHeritage Walk
Baltimore began as a humble waterfront village in 1729. It burst into prominence as America expanded westward, forging a role as a major trading and transportation center that linked the nation’s interior to the world. From a mere 25 wooden houses . . . — Map (db m104058) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Baltimore’s Changing SkylineHeritage Walk
Baltimore’s central business district has constantly reinvented itself in response to changes in building technologies, business practices, and architectural styles. Originally, detached houses that doubled as shops and offices lined the streets. . . . — Map (db m103260) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discovering the Jones FallsHeritage Walk — Powering America's Industrial Revolution —
Baltimore’s industry and trade grew concurrently, a partnership that fueled the city’s tremendous 18th and 19th century growth. You are standing at the mouth of the Jones Falls, a river that flows through Baltimore into the Inner Harbor’s Patapsco . . . — Map (db m115214) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Diversity in a Segregated CommunityPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
The sudden rise of Old West Baltimore’s premier African American community occurred on a foundation of diversity. Even though it was segregated from many white areas, it was still made up of a variety of people. African Americans from all . . . — Map (db m101996) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Downtown
Welcome to Downtown Baltimore-a unique City with southern charm and northern distinction.

Known the world over for being friendly and hospitable, it’s no wonder Baltimore is often referred to as “Charm City.” A place which takes a . . . — Map (db m103921) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Dugan-Hollins Family Vault
This burial vault holds the remains of nine members of two prominent Baltimore families whose live were intertwined through business partnerships and marriage. Cumberland Dugan (1747-1836), the patriarch, left Ireland at age 19, settling briefly . . . — Map (db m6640) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Early Industries
Industries have flourished here in the lower Gwynns Falls Valley since the early 1700s, when the Baltimore Iron Works Co. turned iron into nails and anchors and Dr. Charles Carroll's gristmills ground wheat into flour. The Wilkens Curled Hair . . . — Map (db m6393) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ellicott Flour Mills
The Ellicott Driveway portion of the Gwynns Falls trail follows the route of a millrace that carried water to a flour-milling complex owned by the Ellicott family. In the 1800s, 26 gristmills along the Gwynns Falls and other on the Jones Falls and . . . — Map (db m5533) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fame, Fortune and Financial Scandal
The Calhoun-Buchanan vault holds the remains of 29 members of two of Baltimore's leading Scots-Irish Presbyterian families spanning five or six generations. The neo-classical granite vault is probably the work of Robert Mills (1781-1855), the . . . — Map (db m6637) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Faust Brothers Building
When constructed in 1870, the Faust Brothers Building incorporated the latest innovations in building construction methods and materials. The building’s intricate front and rear facades, composed entirely in cast iron, were once common in downtown . . . — Map (db m101784) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal Hill
Since the founding of Baltimore, 1729, this hill has been a popular point for viewing the city’s growth. Here 4,000 people feasted 1780, to celebrate the ratification by Maryland of the Federal Constitution and in honor of the new government gave . . . — Map (db m2555) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal Hill and Otterbein
The Federal Hill and Otterbein Historic Districts exemplify preservation efforts in Baltimore. Adjacent to the Inner Harbor, they were among the earliest areas developed in the city. After periods of economic prosperity and decline, these historic . . . — Map (db m6357) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick Douglas-Isaac Myers Maritime Park and Museum
Welcome-The Living Classrooms Foundation is a non-profit organization, operates for the benefit of the community at large, providing hands-on education and job skills training to students from diverse backgrounds, with a special emphasis on serving . . . — Map (db m144671) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Free State Pub
The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution banned the manufacture, sale and transportation of alcohol from 1920 to 1933. Maryland - nicknamed "The Old Line State" from George Washington's time - was the only state that never passed a state . . . — Map (db m104269) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — From Bricks and Pianos to FootballGwynns Falls Trail
More than a million bricks were used to construct M&T Bank Stadium in 1998. This reflects not only Maryland’s architectural heritage, but also the history of the site, a one-time colonial brickyard. Alexander Russell produced bricks here, using clay . . . — Map (db m104382) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — G. Krug & Son
"There is hardly a building in Baltimore that doesn't contain something we made, even if it is only a nail." So boasted Theodore Krug, heir to the oldest continuously working iron shop in the country. For more than 170 years artisans here have . . . — Map (db m6619) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gas, Dredges, Beer, and PianosGwynns Falls Trail
This area of Baltimore, known as Carroll-Camden, was one of the city’s earliest industrial districts. Starting in the 1800s, it served as the home of the gas-lighting industry, breweries, and manufacturers of dredging equipment and pianos. Baltimore . . . — Map (db m104052) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — George W. Rayner HouseCirca 1879
George Rayner (1854-1884), lawyer and one of Baltimore's wealthiest men, was the first to call this home. — Map (db m6579) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls Park at Frederick AvenueGwynns Falls Trail
Here at this narrow point in the Gwynns Falls the historic Baltimore and Frederick Turnpike crossed the Gwynns Falls. The Ellicott family built the road to connect Baltimore with the wheat fields and mills to the west. The Ellicotts acquired the . . . — Map (db m102586) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls Park at Wilkens AvenueGwynns Falls Trail
Swimming pools and a basketball court were once located on the floodplain here along the Gwynns Falls. Now, trees stabilize the stream banks to help reduce erosion during periodic floods and restore the stream’s health. The basketball court was . . . — Map (db m102624) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls Park at Windsor Mill RoadGwynns Falls Trail
The two-mile portion of the trail between here and Trailhead 4 at Leon Day Park is the only section with a gravel surface. The trail follows the route of an early 1800s millrace along the Gwynns Falls that carried water from Dickeyville to power the . . . — Map (db m102658) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Historic Canton
Through the efforts of the Canton Improvement Association this old and densely populated ethnic neighborhood was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The two-story red brick row houses are especially noteworthy for their hand . . . — Map (db m2430) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Historic WoodberryWelcome to Historic Woodberry Circa 1790
Woodberry is nestled on a tract of land once known as “Come by Chance.” Woodberry Mill, the first grist mill in the area, was built by Elisha Tyson in 1790. In later years, the location attracted extensive cotton and iron manufacturing . . . — Map (db m138724) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Memory of Edward Fell / William Fell / Colonel Edward Fell / William Fell
In memory of Edward Fell Maryland 1723 from Lancaster, England. Acquired land, Jonestown. Later part of Baltimore Town. Importer, died 1743. William Fell Brother of Edward. Maryland 1730. Married Sarah Bond 1732. Acquired thousand . . . — Map (db m145477) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Inner Harbor Lofts
This complex, once three separate structures built between 1886 and 1905, hosed a wide variety of industries. These included a shoe manufacturer, the nation's leading straw hat company, (M.S. Levy), one of the largest lithographers in the south, . . . — Map (db m6984) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Jacob Epstein1864-1945
Innovative wholesale merchant to the South and collector of Old Master paintings. As a philanthropist, he inaugurated the system of matching charitable grants. — Map (db m6568) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James L. (Jim) Caskey, Jr.(1945-1999)
Jim Caskey, who lived at 523 Scott Street, served his Southwest Baltimore neighbors in many ways. He co-founded and long served as Treasurer of the South Baltimore Federal Credit Union, which for many years was located in this building, 788 . . . — Map (db m103204) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Joe Gans and the Goldfield Hotel
The Goldfield Hotel once stood at the corner of East Lexington and Colvin Streets. Joe Gans, a Baltimore native and the first African American boxing champion, owned the hotel and its nightclub, which was one of the earliest integrated clubs in the . . . — Map (db m40431) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Keyser Quadrangle
Named for William Keyser who was the moving force behind the donation of the Homewood property to Johns Hopkins. He contributed 62 acres and also organized the donation of other land by Samuel Keyser, Francis M. Jencks, William H. Buckler, and . . . — Map (db m6122) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — King Gambrinus, 1879
King Gambrinus originally stood in a niche above the door at John Frederick Wiessner and Sons’ Baltimore brewery. It is the earliest surviving zinc sculpture of this popular icon of the brewing industry in the United States.

In the second half . . . — Map (db m60959) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — 5 — Knabe Piano Factory Cupola1869
This elegantly designed cupola sat atop the William Knabe and Company piano factory in 1869 off South Eutaw Street, near present day Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The original building and cupola is an example of 19th century decorative industrial . . . — Map (db m131182) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Leakin Park at the Crimea EstateGwynns Falls Trail
Leakin Park provides tennis courts, playgrounds, sports fields, picnic facilities, and woodlands for year-around public use. This property was once a part of Thomas de Kay Winans’ country estate, Crimea, purchased by the city in the 1940s with . . . — Map (db m102631) HM

872 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 672
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020