Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jackson County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Brooklyn Presbyterian Church image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., September 22, 2013
Brooklyn Presbyterian Church
Michigan (Jackson County), Brooklyn — L853 — Brooklyn Presbyterian Church
Thirteen lay members founded the First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn in 1838. The Reverend C.W. Gurney became the church's first installed pastor in 1841. Dedicatory services for the church were held on October 7, 1845. Built with hand-hewn beams . . . — Map (db m84885) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Brooklyn — L29 — Brooklyn's Founder
This village was founded by the Rev. Calvin Swain, who filed the first land claim on June 16, 1832. Elder Swain, who had been a chaplain in the War of 1812, was a Baptist minister and the postmaster in Adamsville, New York, before coming to Michigan . . . — Map (db m84886) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Concord — L2068 — Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church
Concord Universalists (Side 1) After migrating from the East, primarily New York State, thirteen families brought their faith to Concord and formed a Universalist Society in 1854. Society members erected this building in 1866 and . . . — Map (db m78876) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Concord — L1842 — Paddock-Hubbard House
Side 1 In 1843 New York natives Alfred and Ruth Paddock migrated to Concord Township. Within two years they erected this Greek Revival house, reminiscent of those in their home state. A prominent merchant, Alfred Paddock (1805-1870) owned . . . — Map (db m78877) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Grass Lake — L1854 — Grass Lake / Michigan Central Railroad Depot
(side 1) Grass Lake The first settlers arrived in Grass Lake in 1829. Two years later a post office, the second in Jackson County, opened at the settlement. In 1832 Grass Lake Township was created; the current boundaries were . . . — Map (db m55223) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Grass Lake — 233 — The Jackson Area
Pioneers in the 1830's by the tens of thousands traveled west over the Territorial Road (roughly parallel to I-94). Many of them stopped in the Jackson area to take up land. Jackson County was named after Andrew Jackson and organized in 1832. The . . . — Map (db m86567) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Henrietta Township — This Boulder
This boulder marks the site where John Batteese Berrard built the first Indian trading post in Jackson County Erected by Thomas Wincad William E. Flemming 1816 — 1985 — Map (db m88896) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Horton — L0740 — Wellman General Store
This triple-brick Victorian-style structure, built in 1886 by Newton Sears and Milford Tanner, exemplifies small town midwestern general stores of the 1880s. In 1891, Ernest Wellman and his mother bought out Tanner's interest. The following year, . . . — Map (db m88685) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — S0559 — Austin Blair
Austin Blair began his political career in Eaton Rapids, where he was elected Eaton County clerk in 1842. As a member of the Michigan House of Representatives (1846-1849), he served in the Judiciary Committee and was a leading supporter or the 1846 . . . — Map (db m54275) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — S0703 — Camp Blair
During the the American Civil War (1861-1865) one of Michigan's military headquarters was In Jackson. Camp Blair was planned 1863 as a draft rendezvous point and as a center for convalescing troops. Named for incumbent governor Austin Blair, a . . . — Map (db m54315) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L147 — Ella Sharp Museum
In 1855 Abraham Wing purchased this farm for his widowed daughter, Mary. Within a year she married Dwight Merriman, and under their guidance, “Hillside” became a model farm, with over 600 acres of orchards and cultivated fields. In 1881 . . . — Map (db m63843) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L1171 — First Baptist Church
In 1834 thirteen Jackson pioneers established the Barry-Jackson Baptist Church in Sandstone Township. Five years later the Reverend David Hendee and seventeen members of that church formed the First Baptist Church in Jackson. Meetings were held in . . . — Map (db m54348) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L1410 — First Congregational Church
This monumental Romanesque Revival church was erected in 1859 according to plans by architect Horatio N. White of Syracuse, New York. It is this congregation's third church. In 1871 the building was raised eight feet to accommodate lower-level . . . — Map (db m54349) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L2166 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
The origins of the First United Methodist Church can be traced to 1831 when preacher Elijah Pilcher arrived in “Jacksonburgh” to serve the town's growing Methodist community. Services were held around town until a small church was . . . — Map (db m54374) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — S0178 — First State Prison
This was the original site of Michigan's first state prison, approved by the legislature in 1838. A temporary wooden prison, enclosed by a fence of tamarack poles, was built on sixty acres donated for that purpose here. In 1839 the first 35 . . . — Map (db m54645) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L2025 — Horace Ismon / Ismon Building
(side a) Horace Ismon This building was erected for Jackson dry goods merchant Horace Ismon in 1853. Ismon had begun his mercantile career in Paw Paw during the 1840s. Although established in Jackson, he continued his Paw Paw . . . — Map (db m54647) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L1852 — Jacksonburg Public Square
On March 30, 1830, a commission appointed to choose Jackson County's seat of government reported: "A territorial road, call the St. Joseph's road, was last winter laid.... Where this road crosses the Grand river... a flourishing village is . . . — Map (db m54313) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L0884 — McCain School
This typical one-room schoolhouse was built for School District No. 2 of Summit Township in the 1880s. Named for a school board member, McCain School is the second schoolhouse erected on this site. The first was built in the early 1850s shortly . . . — Map (db m88676) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument
To the soldiers and sailors of Jackson County who gave their services and many their lives to their country in the war for the Union 1861-1865 Erected as a tribute of love and admiration by one of their companions-in-arms May 30, . . . — Map (db m89603) WM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L0587 — St. John's Church
Constructed in 1857, St. John's is the oldest Catholic Church in Jackson and was the only church of this denomination in this city until 1901. Bishop Peter Paul Lefevre laid the cornerstone for this structure in 1856. St. John's began as a mission . . . — Map (db m55417) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L0885 — St. Mary Star of the Sea Church
In 1880 Bishop Casper Henry Borgess of the Detroit Diocese approved the establishment of a second Catholic parish in the city of Jackson. The cornerstone ceremony for the parish church was held July 4, 1881. The present limestone Romanesque . . . — Map (db m55220) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — L1221 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
On December 8, 1838, the founders of St. Paul's Parish met and began the task of drafting the Articles of Organization for a “new Protestant society.” The Parish of St. Paul's Church was officially established with the signing by . . . — Map (db m54646) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Jackson — S0015 — Under the Oaks
On July 6, 1854, a state convention of anti-slavery men was held in Jackson to found a new political party. Uncle Tom's Cabin had been published two years earlier, causing increased resentment against slavery, and the Kansas-Nebraska Act of May, . . . — Map (db m55195) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Pleasant Lake — 737 — Meridian - Baseline Intial Points
Side 1 The 1875 Land Ordinance organized the system of surveying land in regular square six-mile units called townships and square one-mile subunits called sections. Surveyor General Edward Tiffin set the Michigan Meridian (north-south . . . — Map (db m89644) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Spring Arbor — l2099 — Ed Cross Farm
Ed Cross and his wife, Edith, built this house, barn and granary in 1919. As a young man Cross (1863 - 1938) spent several years working as a logger in Mackinac County, eventually returning to Spring Arbor. During the last fifty years of his life he . . . — Map (db m88675) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Spring Arbor — 11 — Michigan Central College Residence HallSpring Arbor Historical Committee
This building, constructed in 1845 and pictured here in 1903, served as a residence hall of Michigan Central College. The connecting living quarters t the right were built in 1873 by Moses L. Hart, father of Rev. E.P. Hart. Moses Hart, the . . . — Map (db m86569) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Spring Arbor — S0246 — Spring Arbor College
Three Michigan institutions of higher education have had their roots here. The predecessor of Albion College, the Spring Arbor Seminary was chartered in 1835. Michigan Central College, founded in 1844, was located here until its removal in 1855 when . . . — Map (db m88681) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Spring Arbor Township — L1910 — Huron Potawatomi Village / Spring Arbor
Huron Potawatomi Village As early as 1825 large numbers of Potawatomi encamped at this location. One of the most prominent Huron Potatwatomi located here was Wabkezhik (Whapcazeek), who was wounded during the 1811 Battle of Tippicanoe Creek . . . — Map (db m84726) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Springport — Springport (MI) and Vicinity Civl War Memorial
In memory of our soldiers and sailors of Springport and vicinity 1861 - 1865 Erected A.D. 1915 Vicksburg Shiloh Antietam — Map (db m56269) HM

29 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.