Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jefferson County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Koikos Marker image, Touch for more information
By Anita C. Nyambo, August 26, 2010
Koikos Marker
Alabama (Jefferson County), Bessemer — Bright Star / Koikos Restaurant"Alabama's Oldest Restaurant" / "An American Classic"
On 19th Street N, on the right when traveling south.
Bright Star In 1907, Greek immigrant Tom Bonduris invested his savings and opened a small cafe with only a horseshoe shaped bar at First Avenue and 21st Street in Bessemer, Alabama. Outgrowing three locations, the Bright Star moved to this . . . — Map (db m83797) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Bessemer — Canaan Baptist ChurchJefferson County's Oldest Baptist Church
On Morgan Rd, on the right when traveling north.
Organized September 5, 1818 in home of Isaac Brown 3 miles west of Elyton. Met in homes and schoolhouse near Old Jonesboro until 1824. First building erected on site now the 14th Street entrance to Cedar Hill cemetery. Canaan Association (now . . . — Map (db m37218) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Bessemer — Doughboy Monument
On 3rd Avenue North south of 17th Street North, on the left when traveling south.
North side To the memory of our World War heroes who died that civilization might not perish from the earth. West Side HONOR ROLL WORLD WAR Allbright Rufie PVT. Co. D. 167th Inf. KA Bailey Andrew SGT. Co. D. 167th . . . — Map (db m39928) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Bessemer — Hosea Holcombe1780-1841 — "Alabama's first church historian" —
On 14th Street South (State Highway 150) south of Fairfax Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
In 1840 he published his study, History of Rise and Progress of the Baptists in Alabama. Also an evangelist and missionary. In 1818 moved to Alabama from Carolinas, organizing five churches in vicinity. President of Alabama . . . — Map (db m27025) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Bessemer — Sweet Home / Henry W. Sweet
On Arlington Avenue at 19th Street South, on the right when traveling west on Arlington Avenue.
This house was built in 1906 by architect William E. Benns for H. W. Sweet at a cost of $10,000. The house uniquely blended the Queen Anne and Neo-Classical architectural styles, featuring two identical pedimented entrance porticos supported by . . . — Map (db m27024) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Bessemer — Union Baptist Church And Cemetery
On County Road 18, on the left when traveling west.
Union Baptist Church was organized in 1834 by 18 or 20 members from Canaan Church. The Libscomb area was then known as East End. Members of the Rockett and Ware families donated the original two acreas of this site and a log cabin, which served as . . . — Map (db m24352) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — "Lest We Forget"Avondale World War II Memorial
Near 5th Avenue South at 41st Street South.
Dedicated to the sacred memory of the Avondale Boys of World War II who made the Supreme Sacrifice for Liberty and Humanity. Thomas Nelson • Albert W. Moore • James A. Williams • John L. Warner • Wayne Daily • Chester Smith • . . . — Map (db m55950) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — "Peace Be Still"Mark 4:39
Near 17th Street N.
On Palm Sunday, 1963 Rev. N. H. Smith, Rev. John T. Porter and Rev. A. D. King led a sympathy march from St. Paul United Methodist Church down 6th Avenue North in support of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth and Rev. Ralph . . . — Map (db m73023) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 1963 Church Bombing Victims
Near Messer Airport Highway at University Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This cemetery is the final resting place of three of the four young girls killed in the September 15, 1963 church bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church. Addie Mae Collins, Cynthia Wesley and Carol Robertson are buried here. The fourth victim, . . . — Map (db m61197) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 4th Avenue District
On 4th Avenue North at 17th Street North, on the right when traveling west on 4th Avenue North.
The Fourth Avenue "Strip" thrived during a time when downtown privileges for blacks were limited. Although blacks could shop at some white-owned stores, they did not share the same privileges and services as white customers, so they created tailor . . . — Map (db m26985) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — A New CityBuilding early Birmingham
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
The arrival of two railroad lines in Jones Valley opened nearby deposits of iron ore, limestone, and coal to commercial development and helped make Birmingham one of the great industrial cities of the post Civil War South. In 1871, the year of . . . — Map (db m69018) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — A.B. Loveman House
On Rhodes Circle, on the right when traveling west.
The house was built c. 1908 for Adolph B. Loveman, a Hungarian immigrant who in 1887 founded the dry goods business that evolved into one of Birmingham’s signature retail establishments, Loveman, Joseph & Loeb. Its English-style neighbor to the . . . — Map (db m83800) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Alabama Veterans MemorialLiberty Park
On Liberty Parkway.
            Pearl Harbor               May 31, 1941 Dear Friend, I hope all is well with you. I am doing well but due to the present state of emergency the Pacific Fleet is held in a place known as Hawaiian Territory. Would you do me a . . . — Map (db m27409) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Arthur D. Shores"Dean of Black Lawyers in The State of Alabama."
On 5th Avenue North, on the right when traveling east.
During the first 30 years of his 54-year-old practice, Attorney Shores practiced all over the State of Alabama - from the Tennessee line to the Gulf of Mexico at Mobile Bay, and from the Mississippi borders to the Georgia limits. During the period . . . — Map (db m26720) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Before Birmingham: Jones Valley
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
Red Mountain, where you are standing, and Jones Valley, which stretches before you, were sites of human activity long before Birmingham's founding in 1871. Native American presence Recorded history and archaeological evidence indicate the . . . — Map (db m83805) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Belview Heights Neighborhood
The Corey Land Company, a group of prominent local businessmen headed by Robert Jemison, Jr., developed Belview Heights as a neighborhood for the professional employees of U.S. Steel in the 1910's. Extending the grid system being used in Ensley over . . . — Map (db m24351) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Birmingham - Southern College
On Arkadelphia Road, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m37711) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Birmingham District Minerals
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
The availability of seemingly limitless mineral resources was the key to the success of the Birmingham District, an area defined by geologic deposits that span five counties (Jefferson, Shelby, Tuscaloosa, Walker and Bibb). Some of the minerals . . . — Map (db m69026) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Birmingham Water Works Company (1887) / Cahaba Pumping Station (1890)
On Cahaba Heights Road at Sicard Hollow Road and Blue Lake Drive, on the right when traveling north on Cahaba Heights Road.
Side A The Elyton Land Company, which had founded the city of Birmingham in 1871, established a subsidiary, the Birmingham Water Works Company in 1887. Dr. Henry M. Caldwell, President of the Elyton Land Company, contracted with Judge A. O. . . . — Map (db m83806) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — BoilersSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North.
The Process The boiler was the source of power for most of Sloss. The boilers burned blast furnace gas to provide the heat necessary for converting water into steam. The steam produced here powered the blowing engines and turbo-blowers, the . . . — Map (db m43728) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Brock Drugs Building
Near 4th Avenue North at 18th Street North.
The Brock building was established in 1915, located at the intersection of Fourth Avenue and 18th Street North, was built while the area was residential. The three-story building housed a hotel upstairs that catered to professional musicians and . . . — Map (db m26723) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Building The ParkVisiting the Park — Restoring Vulcan Park —
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
Side 1 - Building the Park In the mid-1930’s, civic leaders worked to move Vulcan to a place of honor on Red Mountain. The park was built through the combined efforts of several groups: the Kiwanis Club of Birmingham, the Birmingham Parks . . . — Map (db m83807) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Carrie A. Tuggle1858 - 1924
On 5th Avenue North at 16th Street North, on the left when traveling east on 5th Avenue North.
In Tribute to Carrie A. Tuggle 1858 - 1924 Scholar, Teacher and Christian. A life of unselfish service to the troubled and the homeless black boys and girls. In 1903, she founded a school and orphanage, the Tuggle . . . — Map (db m27391) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Casting PigsSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north.
The Process The technology of casting molten iron into bars called pigs changed dramatically over the years. Prior to 1931 casting at Sloss took place inside the cast shed. Men cut molds into the sand floor of the shed, allowing the . . . — Map (db m69083) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — CDR "Snuffy" SmithNavy Light Attack Aircraft A-7 Corsair II
On 73rd Street North.
(First Plaque): Navy pilots typically had their names painted on the side and just below the cockpit of one of the squadron aircraft. Most also had "Call Signs," some of which became the nickname of the pilot. On the display aircraft this . . . — Map (db m83808) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Civil Rights Freedom RidersMay 14, 1961
On 19th Street North at 4th Avenue North, on the right when traveling north on 19th Street North.
On Mother's Day, May 14, 1961, a group of black and white CORE youth on a "Freedom Ride" from Washington, D.C. to New Orleans arrived by bus at the Birmingham Greyhound terminal. They were riding through the deep south to test a court case, "Boynton . . . — Map (db m83809) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Clark Building
On 20th Street North.
This building was constructed in 1908 by Louis V. Clark (1862-1934), who also built the historic Lyric Theater located nearby on 18th Street. The Clark Theater on Caldwell Park is named in honor of Mr. Clark’s generosity to the Birmingham Little . . . — Map (db m27515) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Concord CenterTime Capsule
Near 3rd Avenue North near Richard Arrington Jr, Blvd North.
To Be Opened March 1, 2022 Dedicated at the construction completion March 1, 2002 Project Team Owners - BLH Group, LLC Brookmont Investors II, LLC Spire Holdings, LLC Developer - Brookmont Realty Group, LLC General . . . — Map (db m27010) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Designing Vulcan Park
Vulcan Park isn’t just Vulcan’s home; it’s also a public park. The original project, funded by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) aimed for “general beautification of the entire acreage” to create” an ideal spot for untold . . . — Map (db m69015) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Dewberry Drugs and Phenix Insurance Company Buildings
On Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north on Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard North.
The two commercial buildings on this corner lot are some of the earliest surviving business houses in Birmingham. The Dewberry building appeared on the corner about 1881, and it housed the first and longest surviving drug store in the city, starting . . . — Map (db m36740) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Disabled American Veterans
Near 2nd Avenue North near 3rd Street North.
(Side 1) Disabled American Veterans Formed December 25, 1920. Birmingham Chapter No. 4 Chartered January 25, 1926. This Memorial Dedicated To Our Military Forces And To All Who Have Given Their Blood And Lives That The Republic Might Live . . . — Map (db m24347) WM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Donnelly House
On Highland Avenue South, on the right when traveling west.
This neoclassical structure was built in 1905 for James W. Donnelly, "the father of the Birmingham Library System." Donnelly moved to Birmingham from his native Cincinnati, Ohio after retiring from Proctor and Gamble. A much respected . . . — Map (db m26740) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Don't Tread on Me
On 6th Avenue N.
Leaders of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) learned they could apply economic pressure to White businesses with more effective results than moral persuasion alone. Therefore, the central strategy of the Birmingham Campaign . . . — Map (db m73037) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Don't Tread on Me
On 6th Avenue N.
1963 A female protestor remains defiant as police drag her away from a demonstration in Birmingham's nearby retail district. Activists in Birmingham--led for seven years by Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth before the 1963 Birmingham Campaign--put their . . . — Map (db m83814) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
On 6th Avenue N at 16th Street on 6th Avenue N.
Born Jan. 15, 1929 Assassinated Apr. 4. 1968 "...yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice; say that I was a drum major for peace..." His dream liberated Birmingham from itself and began a . . . — Map (db m73007) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 8 — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Near 16th Street N.
Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth invited Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. to Birmingham in 1962. Shuttlesworth saw potential in the young minister, and their combined efforts were instrumental in Birmingham's desegregation. The campaign catapulted King into the . . . — Map (db m73031) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Dr. Ruth J. Jackson1898 - 1982
Near 5th Avenue North at 16th Street North, on the left when traveling east.
Dedicated to Dr. Ruth J. Jackson 1898-1982 This woman of strength and vision graduated from the Poro School of Cosmetology, the first black registered school in the State of Alabama. At the vanguard of the Civil Rights Movement, she was . . . — Map (db m27090) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Duncan House
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north.
The Duncan House was build in 1906 as a home place for James and Lelia Duncan and their eight children in what is now Tarrant City, Alabama. Duncan worked throughout his life in the nearby shops and yards of the L&N Railroad (know CSXI) as water . . . — Map (db m86613) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Birmingham
Near 12th Avenue at Cahaba Street, on the left when traveling east.
Marker Front: Founded in 1886 on 600 acres of land, East Birmingham was the agricultural area consisting primarily of dairy farms extending to the present Birmingham airport. The East Birmingham Land Company that developed the area was . . . — Map (db m83827) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Lake Community
On 1st Avenue North (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north.
The Creek Indian Cession of 1814 opened this section of Alabama to settlement. At the time of statehood in 1819 many pioneer families had located here in what later became known as Jones Valley. By 1820 the area was called Ruhama Valley as a result . . . — Map (db m26680) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Lake Park
Near 1st Avenue North (U.S. 11) south of 83rd Street North.
East Lake was planned in 1886 by the East Lake Land Company to help sell home sites to the men who came in the 1870's to work in Birmingham's steel industry. First named Lake Como, after the lake in the Italian Alps, it soon came to be called East . . . — Map (db m83828) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Eddie James KendrickDecember 17, 1937 - October 5, 1992
On 4th Avenue North at 18th Street North, on the left when traveling west on 4th Avenue North.
Eddie James Kendrick, nicknamed "cornbread", was born the eldest of five children to Johnny and Lee Bell Kendrick in Union Springs, Alabama. After attending Western-Olin High School in Ensley, Alabama, Eddie was persuaded by his childhood . . . — Map (db m26724) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Emory Overton Jackson1908 - 1975
On 17th Street North, on the right when traveling south.
Emory Overton Jackson was born on September 8, 1908 in Buena Vista, Georgia to Will Burt and Lovie Jones Jackson. E. O. Jackson and his seven siblings were raised in the middle-class Birmingham enclave of Enon Ridge, located on the west side of . . . — Map (db m64736) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Five Points South
On 20th Street South at 11th Avenue South, on the right when traveling north on 20th Street South.
This neighborhood developed in the 1880s as one of Birmingham's first streetcar suburbs. It was the Town of Highlands from 1887 to 1893, when it became part of the City of Birmingham. The heart of the neighborhood was Five Points Circle, a major . . . — Map (db m83829) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Foot Soldier TributeRonald S. McDowell, Artist I.B.J.C.
Near 5th Avenue North at 16th Street North, on the right when traveling east.
This sculpture is dedicated to the Foot Soldiers of the Birmingham Civil Rights Movement. With gallantry, courage and great bravery they faced the violence of attack dogs, high powered water hoses, and bombings. They were the fodder in the . . . — Map (db m27394) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Forest Park
On Essex Road South at Clairmont Avenue South, on the left when traveling north on Essex Road South.
A residential district extending from the crest of Red Mountain to the floor of Jones Valley with roads built along natural land contours. Birmingham real estate promoter and civic leader, Robert Jemison, Jr., began development as Mountain Terrace . . . — Map (db m26983) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Forrest Camp No. 1435
On 60th Street North, in the median.
We salute the Confederate soldier with affection, reverence, and undying devotion to the cause for which he fought. — Map (db m12240) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Fourth Avenue Historic District.
On 4th Avenue North at 17th Street North, on the right when traveling west on 4th Avenue North.
Marker front: Prior to 1900 a "black business district" did not exist in Birmingham. In a pattern characteristic of Southern cities found during Reconstruction, black businesses developed alongside those of whites in many sections of the . . . — Map (db m83830) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Fraternal Hotel Building
On 4th Avenue North west of 17th Street North, on the right when traveling west.
The Fraternal Hotel Building was built in 1925. Some of the businesses that were located in this building included: 1925 - 1980 Fraternal Hotel 1925 - 1970 Fraternal Café 1950 - 1966 Monroe Steak House 1985 - 1994 Grand Lodge Knights of . . . — Map (db m27518) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Frisco No. 4018
On 32nd Street North, on the left when traveling north.
"No. 4018 made its last run from Bessemer, Alabama to Birmingham, Alabama on February 29, 1952 and was given by the railway to the City of Birmingham on May 29, 1952." — Map (db m134921) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Glen Iris Park
On 16th Avenue South at Glen Iris Park, on the right when traveling east on 16th Avenue South.
Founded in 1898 by Robert Jemison, this 30-acre historic district is a private residential park containing an almost intact collection of some of Birmingham's finest 20th century houses. It was the first professionally landscaped residential . . . — Map (db m27520) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Green Acres Café1705 - 4th Avenue, North
On 4th Avenue North, on the left when traveling west.
Businesses that occupied this building between 1908 - 1970 1908 - 1913 Southern Bell Telephone Company Stockroom 1915 - 1926 OK French Dry Cleaning Company 1927 - 1938 George Kanelis Billiards 1940 - 1945 Alex’s Steak House 1946 - . . . — Map (db m27521) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 1 — Ground Zero
Near 17th Street N at 5th Avenue N.
You are standing at Ground Zero of the 1963 civil rights struggle in Birmingham. When African-American leaders and citizens resolved to fight the oppression of a strictly segregated society, they were met with vitriol and violence despite their own . . . — Map (db m73015) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — History of the 117th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing
Near East Lake Boulevard at 57th Street North, on the right when traveling east.
January 1922 Federal Recognition 135th Observation Squadron May 1923 Redesignated 114th Observation Squadron January 1924 Redesignated 106th Observation Squadron October 1943 Redesignated 100th Bombardment Squadron November 1946 . . . — Map (db m27388) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Howard College(Now Samford University)
On 2nd Avenue South, on the right when traveling north.
Founded in 1841 at Marion in Perry County by Alabama Baptists, Howard College was named for British prison reformer John Howard. The liberal arts college moved to this site in 1887 and relocated to its present campus in Homewood, Alabama in . . . — Map (db m26693) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Independent Presbyterian ChurchFounded 1915
On Highland Avenue South at 31st Street South, on the right when traveling west on Highland Avenue South.
The church was founded when the Rev. Henry M. Edmonds and many members of a Southern Presbyterian congregation withdrew from the local Presbytery. During the first seven years it met in Temple Emanu-El synagogue and held evening services in the . . . — Map (db m27093) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — IndustryIron and steeel manufacturing
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
Heavy industry, the reason for Birmingham’s founding, is still an economic force here today. Foundries and pipe plants dot the landscape, the railroad runs through the city’s center, and steam rises periodically in the distance from the quenching of . . . — Map (db m69019) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — IronmakingSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North.
The Industry That Built A City The minerals needed to make iron-iron ore, coal, and limestone-are abundant in the Birmingham area, and for ninety years men turned these materials into pig iron at Sloss. Sloss pig iron was sold to foundries, . . . — Map (db m43973) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Jefferson County Courthouse Site
On Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd North north of 3rd Avenue North.
The county seat of Jefferson County was moved from Elyton to Birmingham in 1873. On this site stood the first Courthouse in the City of Birmingham. The Italianate style structure was designed by architect W. K. Ball. Completed in 1875, the two-story . . . — Map (db m27095) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Jefferson County Courthouses
Near Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North.
Side A Territorial legislature designated home of Maj. Moses Kelly (in Jones Valley) as site of first court in this area of Alabama, 1818. After creation of Jefferson County, 1819, court held at Carrollsville (Powderly) until county seat . . . — Map (db m25743) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — A1 — Jim Crow on the Books
On 6th Avenue N.
The first march to City Hall was organized in 1955 by Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth when he petitioned the city to hire Negro policemen. By 1963, thousands of Blacks marched on City Hall to protest Jim Crow laws that were a constant reminder of Blacks' . . . — Map (db m73036) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Jordan Home2834 Highland Avenue
On Highland Avenue South, on the right when traveling west.
Dr. Mortimer Harvie Jordan and his wife, Florence E. Mudd, constructed their home between 1906 and 1908. After service in the Confederate army, Jordan studied medicine in Cincinnati and New York (under Alabama's famous gynecologist, Dr. J. Marion . . . — Map (db m26743) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Julius Ellsberry
Near 16th Street North north of 5th Avenue.
In dedication to Julius Ellsberry, the first Black Alabama man to die in World War II; born Birmingham, Ala, 1922. Enlisted in the U.S. Navy, 1940; First Class Mate [sic] Attendant aboard battleship Oklahoma in the Battle of Pearl . . . — Map (db m63761) HM WM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Julius Ellsberry Memorial Park
On Finley Avenue North 1 mile east of 13th Place North, on the right when traveling east.
In honor of Julius Ellsberry of Birmingham World War II Hero First Jefferson County Citizen to die for his country at Pearl Harbor while serving aboard the U.S.S. Oklahoma December 7, 1941 — Map (db m70261) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — King's Spring
Near 5th Avenue South at 41st Street South.
Avondale Park, dedicated in 1886, is one of Birmingham's earliest parks. The park site was chosen because of its natural spring, which was a popular attraction with the local people, as well as a favorite stopping point for weary travelers along . . . — Map (db m55951) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 6 — Kneeling Ministers
Near 17th Street N.
Responsible for much planning and leadership, the clergy played a central role in the Birmingham Campaign--like the famous Palm Sunday incident in 1963 (see nearby plaque). Local clergy like Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth worked with out-of-town ministers, . . . — Map (db m73080) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Lane Park
On Cahaba Road at Park Lane, on the right when traveling north on Cahaba Road.
In 1822 William Pullen, Revolutionary War veteran, acquired this land from the Federal Government for farming. In 1889 his heirs sold the land to the City of Birmingham for use as the New Southside Cemetery which operated from 1889 to 1909 with . . . — Map (db m27096) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Mineral Railroad Trestle
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
The railroad trestle support wall across the road is a remnant of L&N's 156-mile Mineral Railroad, the backbone of the local iron industry. This segment ran along the north edge of Vulcan Park on its route around the Birmingham District, linking . . . — Map (db m83831) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Morris Avenue Historic District / Elyton Land Company (Successor, Birmingham Realty Co.)
On Morris Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Morris Avenue.
Created 1972 by the Jefferson County Historical Commission, the district is based on this avenue. Morris Avenue was named for one of the founders of Birmingham, Josiah Morris, who paid $100,000 for 4,157 acres of the original site of the city in . . . — Map (db m27156) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — New Hope CemeteryJefferson County
On Grantswood Road, on the right when traveling east.
New Hope Baptist Church and Cemetery were established here on land with a log house donated by Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Jackson Glass on August 21, 1884, for religious and educational purposes. The five-member church began with trustee Manson Glass. On . . . — Map (db m83832) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — A3 — Non-Violent Foot Soldiers
On 6th Avenue N.
The central principle of the American Civil Rights Movement was non-violence, based on the strategies of Mahatma Gandhi, who led India's independence struggle against the British Empire. Being non-violent did not mean being passive. Using "direct . . . — Map (db m83833) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Non-Violent Foot Soldiers
On 6th Avenue N.
Those who participated in the marches and other demonstrations in the Birmingham Campaign agreed to a pledge of nonviolence. A few of the "Ten Commandments" of the pledge were: "Meditate daily on the teaching and life of Jesus. Remember always that . . . — Map (db m83834) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — North Birmingham
On 27th Street North at 31st Avenue North, on the left when traveling north on 27th Street North.
On October 1, 1886, the North Birmingham Land Company was formed to develop a planned industrial and residential town on 900 acres of land, formerly part of the Alfred Nathaniel Hawkins plantation north of Village Creek. The plan included sites for . . . — Map (db m26700) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Oldest House In Shades Valley / Irondale Furnace CommissaryCummings - Eastis - Beaumont House
On Montevallo Road west of Glenbrook Drive, on the right when traveling east.
The original log structure was built c. 1820 - 1830, with the board and batten addition dating to as late as the 1860s. The log cabin was at first one and one-half stories and is believed to be the oldest structure in Shades Valley. Members of the . . . — Map (db m26697) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Osmond Kelly Ingram1887 - 1917
On 17th Street North at 6th Avenue North, on the right when traveling south on 17th Street North.
(Front):Osmond Kelly Ingram 1887-1917 First American sailor killed in action in World War 1, aboard U.S.S. "Cassin" October 1, 1917. Medal of Honor War Cross - Italy (Back):U.S. Destroyer DD-225 U.S.S. Osmond Ingram . . . — Map (db m63762) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Oxmoor Iron Furnaces1863 - 1928
On Shannon Oxmoor Road at Shades Creek Circle, on the right when traveling west on Shannon Oxmoor Road.
First blast furnace in Jefferson County erected near this site (1863) by Red Mountain Coal and Iron Co. Destroyed (1865) by Federal troops: rebuilt (1873) and second furnace added. Successful experimental run made in Furnace No. 2 (1876) using local . . . — Map (db m27280) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Pauline Bray Fletcher1878 - 1970
On 5th Avenue North at 16th Street North, on the left when traveling east on 5th Avenue North.
In Tribute to Pauline Bray Fletcher 1878 - 1970 The First Black Registered Nurse of Alabama Through self-sacrifice, perseverance founded in 1926 Camp Pauline Bray Fletcher. Renewing the faith and the good health of all black . . . — Map (db m27393) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Police Presence
On 6th Avenue N.
May 1963 Helmeted police stand ready in Kelly Ingram Park outside the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, one of many strategic hubs from which "Project C" organizers launched marches. Police try to keep marchers away from City Hall, usually stopping . . . — Map (db m73032) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Powell School
On 6th Avenue North at 24th Street North, on the left on 6th Avenue North.
Birmingham's first public school was named for Colonel James R. Powell, the city's first elected Mayor. This energetic promoter also served as the first President of the Elyton Land Company (now Birmingham Realty), which founded the city in 1871. . . . — Map (db m83835) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Redmont Park Historic District
On Arlington Avenue at Aberdeen Road, on the right when traveling south on Arlington Avenue.
Extending across the crest of Red Mountain, is the state’s second oldest garden-landscaped residential area. Developed from 1911 to 1935 by Robert Jemison, Jr., Hill Ferguson, and Henry Key Milner using landscape architects C. W. Leavitt of New York . . . — Map (db m41129) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 5 — Reflecting Pool
Near 17th Street N.
Throughout May 1963, the pressure continued to build. The downtown business district was closed, a prominent black-owned motel was bombed, and 3,000 federal troops were dispatched to restore order before Birmingham was officially desegregated. This . . . — Map (db m73021) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 9 — Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth
On 16th Street N.
No one did more to bring about positive change in Birmingham than the Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth. In his struggle for equal rights, he survived a series of assaults, including the bombing of his home and a brutal armed beating by the Ku Klux Klan. . . . — Map (db m73025) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth Bethel Baptist Church
On 29th Avenue North at 33rd Street North, on the right when traveling east on 29th Avenue North.
Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth's tenure as pastor of Bethel Baptist Church (1953-1961) was marked by demonstrations, bombings and passionate sermons critical of segregation laws. His activism earned him a house bombing, frequent beatings, arrests, and . . . — Map (db m83836) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Rickwood Field
On 12th Street West at 2nd Avenue West on 12th Street West.
Built by local industrialist A. H. "Rick" Woodward, this park opened on August 18, 1910. It is the oldest surviving baseball park in America. Rickwood served as the home park for both the Birmingham Barons (until 1987) and the Birmingham Black . . . — Map (db m22526) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Rickwood FieldOpening Day: August 18, 1910
On 12th Street Southwest at 1st Court West, on the right when traveling north on 12th Street Southwest.
Built by Birmingham industrialist A. H. “Rick” Woodward, Rickwood Field served as home to the Birmingham Barons and Birmingham Black Barons for most of the 20th century. Recognized as “America’s Oldest Baseball Park,” . . . — Map (db m83837) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Roebuck Spring
On Roebuck Boulevard, on the left when traveling east.
In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located . . . — Map (db m26688) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Roebuck Springs Historic District
On Cumberland Drive east of 4th Avenue South, on the right when traveling east.
Roebuck Springs was the first large residential suburb in Birmingham where planning and development were tied to the automobile, and the first community in the city associated with a golf course development. The 1910 land plan was designed to . . . — Map (db m26684) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Ruhama Baptist Church
On 2nd Avenue South, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m26695) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — S. H. Kress Five-And-Ten Cent Store
On 19th Street North at 3rd Avenue North, on the right when traveling north on 19th Street North.
Built in 1937, Birmingham’s S. H. Kress Five-and-Ten Cent Store was the second completed of the three great mercantile buildings on this intersection. Its construction reflected Kress’s confidence in Birmingham’s economy and marked a break by its . . . — Map (db m38557) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — School of Medicine
On 7th Avenue South at 19th Street., on the right when traveling south on 7th Avenue South.
Front of Marker: Opened as Alabama Medical College in 1859 in Mobile by Josiah C. Nott and other physicians as part of the University of Alabama. Closed by the Civil War in 1861 it reopened in 1868. Reorganized in 1897, it became the . . . — Map (db m83838) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Site of the First Alabama - Auburn Football Game
On Clairmont Avenue South at 32nd Street South., on the right when traveling west on Clairmont Avenue South.
The first Alabama - Auburn football game was played on this site, formerly known as the Base Ball Park, on February 22, 1893. The Agricultural and Mechanical College's "Orange and Blue" met the University of Alabama's "Tuskaloosa" squad before a . . . — Map (db m23500) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Sixteenth Street Baptist ChurchHas Been Designated a National Historic Landmark.
Near 6th Avenue North at 16th Street North.
This property possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the United States. In 1963 it was the staging ground for the Birmingham Campaign Civil Rights Youth Marches and the place where a bomb killed four young girls, "Martyred . . . — Map (db m63733) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — SlagSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north.
In addition to making iron the furnace produced a molten waste called slag. Workers drained off the slag periodically through the cinder notch, a hole at the base of the furnace. After processing, the slag was sold for use in road building and in . . . — Map (db m83839) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Sloss Furnaces
Near 1st Avenue North (U.S. 11) near 32nd Street North.
The crossing of railroads in 1872 adjacent to this site gave rise to the industrial city of Birmingham. In 1881 Alabama railroad magnate and entrepreneur James Withers Sloss, capitalizing on the unusual coincidence of coal, iron ore and limestone in . . . — Map (db m23498) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Smithfield
On 8th Avenue West at Center Street North, on the right when traveling east on 8th Avenue West.
Marker Front: This residential area was carved from the Joseph Riley Smith plantation, a 600 acre antebellum farm, one of the largest in 19th century Jefferson County. Smithfield lies to the west of Birmingham's city center on the flat land . . . — Map (db m26990) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — SouthSuburban neighborhoods south of Birmingham
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
At the turn of the last century, Birmingham residents seeking home ownership and escape from the smoke, congestion, and unhealthy living conditions of an industrial city, began moving south. New streetcar lines encouraged the move “over the . . . — Map (db m83840) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — St. Vincent’s HospitalBirmingham’s Oldest Hospital
On St. Vincents Drive at University Blvd South, in the median on St. Vincents Drive.
Named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Daughters of Charity in France in 1633, the hospital opened December 20, 1898 in the temporarily rented Henry F. DeBardelaben mansion at 206 15th Street South. Father Patrick A. O’Reilly founded the . . . — Map (db m27523) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Stock Trestle/TunnelSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north.
Construction of the stock trestle/tunnel complex was part of the extensive modernization that Sloss carried out between 1927 and 1931. Much of the work focused on mechanizing the charging operations and equipment—the stock trestle/tunnel . . . — Map (db m69077) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II / Tutwiler HotelMarch 22, 1923 - March 1, 1982
On 20th Street North at 5th Avenue North, on the right when traveling north on 20th Street North.
Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II “Tutwiler Green”, this section of Birmingham Green was so named in a resolution passed by the Birmingham City Council to honor the life and work of Temple Tutwiler II, who contributed greatly to the . . . — Map (db m27525) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Alabama TheatreBuilt 1927
On 3rd Avenue North, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Publix Theater division of Paramount Studios. This movie palace opened on December 26th, 1927. The theatre, in Spanish / Moorish design by Graven and Mayger of Chicago, seated 2500 in a five story, three-tiered auditorium. Paramount's . . . — Map (db m27337) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Berry Project
On 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling west.
This row of buildings from 2009 to 2017 Second Avenue dates from the early years of the 20th century and has undergone a variety of changes and modernizations over the years. Originally part of a larger building that burned in 1944 (now the site of . . . — Map (db m38563) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Birmingham Public Library / The Linn - Henley Research Library
Near Park Place.
Birmingham’s first library was organized in 1886 and in 1891 became a subscription library for the general public. In 1908 the Birmingham Public Library Association established a free public library, and the City created an independent Library Board . . . — Map (db m83856) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Blast FurnaceSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north.
In the blast furnace the combination of iron ore, flux (limestone and/or dolomite), coke, and hot air produced molten iron and two waste products: molten slag and blast furnace gas. The molten products collected in the bottom of the furnace and . . . — Map (db m69078) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Blowing Engine RoomSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North.
The blast furnace required a tremendous amount of air - about two tons for every ton of iron produced. These three rooms, known collectively as the blower building, house the equipment used to pump air to the furnaces. Workers called this blast of . . . — Map (db m43628) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Cascade
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
One popular element of the park’s original design was a water feature known as the cascade. Cascading fountains were important features in formal European gardens. Their terraced pools and waterfalls animated the landscape with the sounds and . . . — Map (db m83857) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 3 — The Children's Crusade
Near 16th Street N.
On May 2, 1963, more than 1,000 students skipped school and marched on downtown, gathering at the 16th Street Baptist Church. Bull Connor responded by jailing more than 600 children that day. So the next day, another 1,000 students filled the park . . . — Map (db m73017) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Coe House1908
On 29th Street South at Rhodes Circle South, on the left when traveling north on 29th Street South.
John Valentine Coe, president of Birmingham Lumber and Coal Company, commissioned this two-story Craftsman-Tudor Revival style house in 1908. Coe, who had previously been a lumber merchant in Selma, moved his family and business to Birmingham at the . . . — Map (db m83858) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 2 — The Foot Soldiers
Near 16th Street N.
When notoriously racist police commissioner Eugene "Bull" Connor sicced dogs on the "Foot Soldiers" of the movement, civil rights leaders hoped it would shine a national spotlight on their plight, but the country at large remained woefully ignorant. . . . — Map (db m73398) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Gas SystemSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North.
The Gas System Gas produced in the furnace as a by-product of the ironmaking process was used in the plant as fuel. A large pipe called the downcomer carried gas from the top of the furnace to the gas cleaning equipment, which removed the . . . — Map (db m43669) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Heaviest Corner On Earth
Near 20th Street North at 1st Avenue North (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south.
At the turn of the 20th century, Birmingham was a small town of two and three story buildings with a few church steeples punctuating the skyline. During the industrial boom from 1902 to 1912 which made Birmingham the largest city in the state. Four . . . — Map (db m27500) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Iron Man: Vulcan
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
The giant, cast iron statue you see towering above you is Vulcan, the Roman god of metalwork and the forge. The 56-foot tall statue was commissioned by Birmingham leaders to represent their new, growing city at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. After . . . — Map (db m26297) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre
On 26th Street South at Hatcher Place on 26th Street South.
Built in 1937 by Gen. Louis Verdier Clark from a design by architect William T. Warren as a community playhouse for cultural activities. It was recognized as one of the best of its kind in the nation. Mrs. Vassar Allen - first president, Bernard . . . — Map (db m27513) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Lone Pine Mine
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
You are standing in front of the entrance to Lone Pine Mine Number 3. This mine is one of over one hundred ore mines on Red Mountain that were active between 1860 and 1960.
In the early twentieth century, iron ore was extracted from this . . . — Map (db m83859) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Rainbow ViaductDedicated to the Brave Men of the 167th Infantry who fought to Preserve Our Freedom
On Richard Arington Jr. Blvd North north of 1st Ave South, on the left when traveling north.
On May 10, 1919, soon after its completion, this 21st Street Viaduct was named the Rainbow Viaduct in tribute to Alabama's famous 167th Infantry of the Rainbow Division, renowned for Bravery and Honor. The 167th was the Nation's only regiment in . . . — Map (db m83860) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Stock TrestleSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north.
The raw materials for making iron—iron ore, limestone and dolomite, and coke—came to Sloss by railroad and were stored in the stock bins below. An inclined, steam-driven "skip hoist" carried the stock to the top of the furnace and . . . — Map (db m83861) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Tutwiler Hotel/The Tutwiler-Ridgely Rebirth
Near Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard North at Park Place, on the right when traveling east.
(side 1) The Tutwiler Hotel Est. 1914 In 1913, George Gordon Crawford, President of Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company, complained to Robert Jemison Jr., that when friends and officers from U.S. Steel came to town they had . . . — Map (db m99317) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Works Progress Administration
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
The WPA (Works Progress Administration) funded the design and construction of Vulcan Park in the late 1930s. This was done in conjunction with the Alabama Highway Department’s improvement of U.S. Highway 31, the major north/south route that runs . . . — Map (db m69022) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Title Building
On Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd North at 3rd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north on Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd North.
Designed by William C. Weston and erected in 1902, the Title Building was the second skyscraper built in Birmingham. It was the first building to supply its tenants with electric power with its own power-generating plant and the water supply was . . . — Map (db m27501) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Tuxedo Junction
On 20th Street (Alabama Route 269) at Ensley/5 Points W Avenue, on the right when traveling west on 20th Street.
"Tuxedo Junction" was the street car crossing on the Ensley-Fairfield line at this corner in the Tuxedo Park residential area. It also refers to the fraternal dance hall operated in the 1920's and 1930s on the second floor of the adjacent building, . . . — Map (db m25623) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — United Confederate Veterans
On 60th Street North, in the median.
In Memory of the Confederate Soldiers. In Memory of the Women of the Confederacy. In God we trust. — Map (db m12241) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — United Confederate VeteransCamp Hardee No. 39
On Martin Luther King Drive, on the right when traveling south.
(front): United Confederate Veterans Camp Hardee No. 39 Camp Hardee No. 39 was organized as a camp of the United Confederate Veterans on August 7, 1891. This cemetery plot was acquired by the camp to provide a final resting place for the men . . . — Map (db m12487) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — United States Pipe and Foundry Company
Near 1st Avenue North (U.S. 11) at 34th Street North, on the left when traveling east.
On March 3, 1899, the United States Pipe and Foundry Company was incorporated consolidating 14 iron and steel foundries in 9 states. One of these foundries, the Howard-Harrison Iron Company of Bessemer, was founded in 1889. In 1911, the Dimmick Pipe . . . — Map (db m27526) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Walker Memorial Church
On Tuscaloosa Avenue SW at 3rd Street SW, on the left when traveling east on Tuscaloosa Avenue SW.
In 1818 before Alabama, Jefferson County, Elyton or Birmingham existed, The Elyton Methodist Church was established on Center Street. It was moved to 14 Second Avenue, and in 1909, to its present site. Renamed in 1910 for Corilla Porter Walker . . . — Map (db m24348) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 4 — Water Cannons
On 6th Avenue N.
Bull Connor ordered the fearless "Child Crusaders" to be blasted with high-pressure fire hoses, and he once again loosed the dogs on the young demonstrators. When the media finally exposed the nation to the cruel scene, President John F. Kennedy . . . — Map (db m73019) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Wilson Chapel And Cemetery("The Little Brown Church in the Wildwood")
On Cumberland Drive at Balcourt Drive, on the right when traveling east on Cumberland Drive.
Wilson Chapel was built in 1916 as a memorial to James and Frances Wilson by their daughters, Rosa Wilson Eubanks and Minerva Wilson Constantine. At the time of its construction the area was developing into a community of country homes known as . . . — Map (db m26681) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Wilson's RaidersHeadquarters March 28-31, 1865
On Cotton Avenue SW.
Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, having crossed the Tennessee River with a large force of well equipped cavalry, grouped them here at Elyton. Their mission: to destroy Alabama's economic facilities for supporting the War. From these headquarters he . . . — Map (db m24358) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Zion Memorial Gardens
On Tarrant Huffman Road at Marshall Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Tarrant Huffman Road.
Mt. Zion Baptist Church began burying here in the mid-1800s. On June 2, 1970, New Grace Hill Cemetery, Inc., a subsidiary of the Booker T. Washington Insurance Company in Birmingham, purchased this cemetery and officially named it Zion Memorial . . . — Map (db m35602) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmington — Vulcan Statue
On Valley View Drive.
When it was first proposed in 1905 that Vulcan be placed on Red Mountain, the time was not right for such a move. But by 1935 when the idea for Vulcan Park was proposed, iron ore mining had ceased here, the mineral railroad had been abandoned and . . . — Map (db m95335) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Brighton — Lynching In America / The Lynching of William Miller
On Woodward Street at Huntsville Avenue on Woodward Street.
Side 1 Lynching In America Thousands of black people were the victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between 1877 and 1950. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism . . . — Map (db m101159) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Brookside — Brookside's Unique Heritage / Brookside Russian Orthodox Church
On Park Avenue at Pastor Street, on the left when traveling south on Park Avenue.
(side A) Brookside's Unique Heritage Originally settled by the Samuel and Mary “Polly” Fields family in the 1820s, Brookside enjoyed a quiet life as an agricultural community until industrialists discovered rich coal . . . — Map (db m43223) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Center Point — Center Point, AlabamaA Great New City Springs Forth
On Center Point Pkwy (State Highway 75), on the right when traveling north.
In 1700s, Native Americans occupied the Springs property. Robert Reed's family arrived in the area from North Carolina in 1816. They obtained a land grant; soon others moved to the area. In 1871, Dave Franklin built a log cabin in the area which was . . . — Map (db m37230) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Clay — Clay Methodist CemeteryJefferson County
On Clay-Palmerdale Road at Old Springville Road, on the right when traveling north on Clay-Palmerdale Road.
Local Methodist connections for Clay Methodist Church were Cedar Mountain Church and Shiloh Methodist Church. Samuel, a Revolutionary War soldier, was a notable member of these early churches. Many of his descendants are buried here. James Self . . . — Map (db m117209) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Clay — Mount Calvary CemeteryClay, Alabama — formerly Ayers, Alabama —
On Cedar Mountain Road, on the right when traveling west.
The oldest marked grave is that of Nancy Paerson, daughter of William S. Turner who was born September 23, 1813 and died September 19, 1830. Jesse Taylor deeded land for this church and graveyard on February 15, 1856. Listed in the Alabama . . . — Map (db m25134) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Clay — Pioneer Massey Cemetery
Near Advent Circle.
Samuel Massey and his brother - in - law, Duke William Glenn, first came to this Territory in February 1814 with Lt. Col Reuben Nash's Regt. South Carolina Volunteer Militia to help defeat the Creek Indians in the War of 1812. Samuel Massey returned . . . — Map (db m25088) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Clay — The Cahaba Heart River of Alabama
On Old Springville Road / County Road 30, on the left when traveling north.
On Cahaba Mountain to the NW, springs form a fragile stream that grows as it carves through the steep, rocky terrain of Birmingham suburbs, flowing south on the Gulf Coastal Plain to the Alabama River, at the site of Alabama's first capital, . . . — Map (db m25110) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Clay — The Clay Community
On Springville Road (County Road 30) north of Deerfoot Parkway, on the right when traveling north.
The clay soil of the area, first cultivated by Creek Indians, gave this agricultural community it name in 1878 when a post office was established. Clay’s historical roots date to the early 1800s through two small communities, Ayres and Self’s Beat, . . . — Map (db m83863) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Clay — Wear Cemetery
On Old Springville Road / County Road 30, on the left when traveling north.
Established about 1850, Wear Cemetery is located off Old Springville Road to the northeast at Countryside Circle. In the 1800's the Wear family was among the first settlers of the community later known as Clay. Twenty-three remaining graves were . . . — Map (db m25113) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Fultondale — None — Black Creek Park, Five Mile Creek Greenway Partnership and the Fultondale Coke Oven Park
On Yarbrough Road, on the right when traveling east.
Black Creek Park, part of the Five Mile Creek Greenway Partnership, encompasses the Fultondale Coke Oven Park development. The Fultondale Coke Oven Park preserves the environment and history of the old mining communities of north Birmingham, . . . — Map (db m50823) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Gardendale — Gardendale, Alabama
On Main Street at Bell Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Side A When Andrew Jackson defeated the Creek Nation at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in 1814, the subsequent Treaty of Fort Jackson and other treaties that followed ceded Indian land that made up most of what is now Alabama. Abraham Stout . . . — Map (db m39111) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Gardendale — Virgil Allen Howard
On Main Street north of Mt. Olive Road/Civic Center Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Virgil Allen Howard, who was born in South Carolina in 1859, came to Alabama in 1884 seeking employment with the Alabama Waterworks. He and Ollie Grace Hogan were married on July 15, 1903 and made their first home in Gardendale on property they . . . — Map (db m39221) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Graysville — Downtown Graysville
On South Main Street south of 2nd Avenue SE, on the right when traveling south.
(side A) In the latter 1800s and early 1900s, the city of Graysville was called Gin Town. Because Graysville had the only cotton gin for miles around, the town and community grew. As the community grew, the need for businesses and houses of . . . — Map (db m43221) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — “We Love Homewood”
On 29th Avenue South at 18th Street South, on the right when traveling west on 29th Avenue South.
Side A Located in Jefferson County in Shades Valley, Homewood came into existence with the combination of Edgewood, Rosedale, and Oak Grove. Hollywood, a fourth community, joined Homewood later. The City of Homewood was incorporated in 1926, . . . — Map (db m37712) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Edgewood
On Oxmoor Road at Broadway Street, on the right when traveling west on Oxmoor Road.
Nathan Byars, II settled here in 1836, followed by William D. Satterwhite in 1853, and Phillip Thomas Griffin and his wife Mary Ann Byars Griffin in 1854. These early settlers cleared land, built homes and farmed in what was a vast wooded . . . — Map (db m26946) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club(Demolished 1930's)
On Lakeshore Drive at University Park East, on the right when traveling east on Lakeshore Drive.
The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles. . . . — Map (db m26963) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Hallman Hill
On Oxmoor Road west of 19th Street South, on the right when traveling west.
In the early 1900's, among the many craftsmen who migrated south to build the booming industrial cities was Swedish brick mason A. G. Hallman. Hallman moved from the Lake Michigan area and purchased an acre of farmland along the north side of Oxmoor . . . — Map (db m26986) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Hollywood / Hollywood Town Hall / Hollywood Country Club
On Hollywood Boulevard at Laprado Place, on the right when traveling east on Hollywood Boulevard.
Clyde Nelson, born in Columbiana, Alabama, was only 26 when he began development of the Town of Hollywood in 1926. With a sales force of 75 and the slogan "Out of the smoke zone, into the ozone" his beautiful community soon took shape. Homes were . . . — Map (db m27091) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Homewood
On 19th Street South, on the left when traveling north.
Beginning in the mid 19th century settlers first emigrated into a vast wooded wilderness now known as Homewood. On February 11, 1927, the merger of Edgewood, Grove Park and Rosedale became the new City of Homewood. On October 14, 1929 . . . — Map (db m51156) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Rosedale
On 18th Street South at 26th Avenue South, on the right when traveling south on 18th Street South.
Benjamin F. Roden formed the Clifton Land Company in 1886 to develop this area. The development was reorganized in 1889 as the South Birmingham Land Company. Theodore Smith, nurseryman and florist, moved here from Bedford, New York in the 1880's . . . — Map (db m24344) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Samford University
On Lakeshore Drive at Sherman Circle, in the median on Lakeshore Drive.
Multiple purpose Christian university founded 1841 as Howard College by Alabama Baptists at Marion. Moved to East Lake, Birmingham, 1887. Established on this campus 1957. Acquired Cumberland School of Law, Lebanon, Tennessee 1961. . . . — Map (db m27296) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Shades Valley High SchoolOriginal Site (1949-2000)
On 20th Pl South south of Williamsburg Way, on the right when traveling north.
Nationally acclaimed Jefferson County School which originally served students from Homewood, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Oak Grove, Irondale, Cahaba Heights, Hoover, Rocky Ridge, etc. Opened Fall 1949, closed 1996, demolished 2000. Designed by . . . — Map (db m47786) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Union Hill Cemetery
On Hollywood Boulevard east of Malaga Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Union Hill Cemetery is the burial ground of many pioneers and early settlers of the Shades Valley area. It was established in the 1870s, but includes gravestones dating back to the early 1850s due to the relocation of two earlier, smaller cemeteries . . . — Map (db m83873) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School
On Hollywood Blvd at Union Hill Drive, on the left when traveling east on Hollywood Blvd.
This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Shades Valley's pioneer residents. A few of the earliest headstones date from the mid-1850s. Descendants of these settlers helped mold the cities of Mountain Brook and Homewood. Located on property . . . — Map (db m26294) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Bluff Park Elementary School / Hoover Community Education
On Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Summit/Hale Sps., a one-room school, opened on the mountain in 1898. It moved to this site and was named Bluff Park Elementary School with 50 students and funded with community support in 1923. From two-rooms, it expanded to 32 classrooms in 1988. . . . — Map (db m28486) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Briarwood Presbyterian Church PCA
Near Briarwood Way.
The Presbyterian Church U.S. began an effort in May 1960 to organize a new Presbyterian Church in the Cahaba Heights area. Rev. Frank M. Barker, Jr. was asked to begin the process and began contacting prospective members in a door to door campaign. . . . — Map (db m52185) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Brock’s Gap / Historic Gateway To BirminghamThe South and North Railroad Cut.
On South Shades Crest Road 0.8 miles south of Bessemer Cut Off Road (State Highway 150), on the right when traveling south.
In 1858, the State of Alabama, wanting to develop coal and iron industries in Jefferson County, Had John T. Milner survey Shades Mountain for the most practical route for the South and North Railroad to cross. He selected Brock's Gap, named for . . . — Map (db m26773) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Founding Of Hoover
On Montgomery Highway (U.S. 31) at Braddock Drive, on the right when traveling south on Montgomery Highway.
The City of Hoover has grown rapidly since its incorporation in 1967 from a small four block area west of this site. A metal shed behind Employers Ins. Co. became the first fire station and “city hall.” A bank, grocery, hardware, drug . . . — Map (db m28448) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Hale - Joseph HomeBuilt in 1910
On Bluff Road at Cloudland Drive, on the right when traveling east on Bluff Road.
William M. and Evan Hale built this home on the 400 acres purchased by Gardner Hale in 1862. The Hales descended from two signers of the Mayflower compact, 1620. Purchased in 1993 by Carlo and Dianne Joseph, it was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — Map (db m28487) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — HooverA Great Place to Live
On Municipal Lane, on the right when traveling east.
The City of Hoover was founded in 1967 by William H. Hoover and consisted of four city blocks and only 410 citizens. Hoover grew rapidly in the following 43 years to more than 75,000 residents within 50 square miles, making it the sixth largest city . . . — Map (db m52179) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Lover’s Leap1827 - 1973
On Shades Crest Road south of Park Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
The poetic lines inscribed on the boulder below is a replica of those carved in 1827 by Thomas W. Farrar. Thomas W. Farrar was the Founder and first Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge in Alabama 1821-22-24. This historical site donated to the . . . — Map (db m28490) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Monte D'OroA Historic Hoover Neighborhood
On Wisteria Drive at Monte D'Oro Drive, on the left when traveling west on Wisteria Drive.
A neighborhood of 158 homes, Monte D'Oro was established July 23, 1964, which was prior to the incorporation of the City of Hoover. The neighborhood was build by developer William M. "Bill" Humphries. These homes were designed by architect and noted . . . — Map (db m83253) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Overseer’s HouseBuilt in 1889
On Park Avenue at Chapel Road, on the left when traveling south on Park Avenue.
This house was provided for the overseer of the 560-acre A. B. Howell Peach Orchard. William Morgan and William and Evan Hale were overseers. The house was purchased by John and Marie Taylor in 1989 and was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — Map (db m28494) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Patton Chapel Church 1866
On Patton Chapel Road west of Montgomery Highway (U.S. 31), on the right when traveling west.
Just after the War Between the States Robert Berry Patton gave seven acres of land, logs from his sawmill to build a church, school and cemetery. He served as the first pastor. Fire destroyed the church in 1908 and 1938. The school served the area . . . — Map (db m83915) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Rocky Ridge Elementary SchoolFirst School in Hoover Area
On Old Rocky Rodge Road (County Road 115) at Acton Road, on the left when traveling north on Old Rocky Rodge Road.
A subscription school organized in the 1850’s in Rocky Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Land deeded by church in 1881 to build a log school. In 1912, Professor E. D. Watkins taught all classes to the 30 students. In 1918, his 15 year old . . . — Map (db m73065) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Ross Bridge
On Ross Bridge Parkway 2.7 miles north of State Highway 150, on the left when traveling north.
In 1858 James Taylor Ross, a Scotchman, migrated to the South, acquired land and homesteaded in what is now Shades Valley. He provided land for the construction of a railway, including a bridge spanning Ross Creek. After the Ross family moved . . . — Map (db m27302) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Shades Crest Road Historical District
On Shades Crest Road (County Road 97) at Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Shades Crest Road.
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m27311) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Shades Crest Road Historical District
On Shades Crest Road east of Mimosa Lane, on the right when traveling east.
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m28517) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — The Park Avenue Historical District
On Park Avenue at Rockland Drive, on the right when traveling north on Park Avenue.
51 Structures, 70% residential, built early 20th century to post World War II period. The 1885 sale of Gardner Hale’s land began the housing development. The 33 acre 1924 Independent Presbyterian Church Children’s Fresh Air Farm, 1923 Bluff Park . . . — Map (db m28518) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Congressional Medal Of Honor RecipientsSSG Henry E. Erwin - 1 LT William R. Lawley, Jr. - PFC Alford L. McLaughlin
On Montevallo Road (State Road 119) at Cleveland Street, on the left when traveling west on Montevallo Road.
Staff Sergeant Henry E. Erwin Citation: Staff Sergeant Henry Erwin, U.S. Army Air Corps, 52d Bombardment Squadron, 29th Bombardment Group, 314th Bombardment Wing, 20th Air Force. He was the radio operator of a B-29 airplane leading a group . . . — Map (db m83916) WM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — John HenryLedgendary 'Steel Drivin' Man'
On Thornton Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
The story of "steel driving' man" John Henry is one of America's most enduring legends. The strong ex-slave became a folk hero during construction of the Columbus & Western Railroad between Goodwater and Birmingham. He drilled holes for explosives . . . — Map (db m22207) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Jonathan Bass House MuseumCirca 1863
On Montevallo Road, on the right when traveling east.
Jonathan Bass was born January 30, 1837, in Jefferson County. His father arrived in Jefferson County in 1816, and Jonathan was a life-long resident. Although the Bass House was under construction as early as 1863, Jonathan left the farm to join the . . . — Map (db m24697) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Leeds Benchmarks In History(Settled circa 1818-1820); (Incorporated 1887)
On Parkway Drive (U.S. 78) at 6th Steet Southeast, on the right when traveling east on Parkway Drive.
Front: The War of 1812, geography, geology, and three cultures shaped the history of Leeds. Lying at the crossroads of ancient Indian paths in the center of Alabama, Leeds drew Europeans, Cherokee, and African-American settlers to a land . . . — Map (db m49351) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Mt. Hebron CemeteryJefferson County
Near Eastern Valley Road (State Road 119), on the right when traveling east.
In April 1836, William White donated land for a church and cemetery. In December 1904, William T. Simmons and his wife R. A. sold adjoining land to the church adding to the cemetery. The oldest marked grave is for Hepsey Herring who died October 8, . . . — Map (db m83917) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Mt. Hebron School
On Eastern Valley Road (State Road 119), on the right when traveling east.
Front: In 1915, the men of the Mt. Hebron Community cleared the land donated by Bess Simmons for a school. Trees donated by Mitch Poole were placed on Rufus Brasher’s wagon and taken to Will Scott’s sawmill. The school opened in the fall . . . — Map (db m83918) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Rowan House
On Montevallo Road (Alabama Route 119) near Woodruff Parkway, on the left when traveling east.
Thomas Rowan, son of Irish immigrants who settled in St. Clair County, Alabama, purchased his first 130 acres at auction and built a house here by c. 1854 that probably forms the core of the two northeast rooms. Heir John Thomas Rowan and his wife, . . . — Map (db m24716) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Shiloh CemeteryEstablished Circa 1820
On Ashville Road Northeast at Morgan Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west on Ashville Road Northeast.
Shiloh Cemetery is the first recorded Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery in middle Alabama. Burial at Shiloh began in 1820, a year before the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church organized in 1821 at Oakridge, now Leeds. The cemetery stood back from . . . — Map (db m49350) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — The Depot
On Thornton Avenue, on the right.
The Depot was built by Richmond & Danville Extension Co. in 1883-84 following the completion of the Georgia & Pacific RR line between Birmingham and Atlanta, three years before the Town of Leeds was incorporated. Richmond Terminal Co. operated . . . — Map (db m22209) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — John Wesley Hall Grist Mill & Cotton Gin
On Tannehill Road 0.7 miles north of Confederate Parkway, on the left when traveling north.
The John Wesley Hall Grist Mill & Cotton Gin operated on this site from 1867 to 1931, was successor to one of Alabama's earliest grist mills located a mile west on Mud Creek. Burned during the Civil War, Hall's Mill was moved to this location . . . — Map (db m107515) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Pioneer Farm BuildingsCirca 1870's
Near Tannehill Road 0.5 miles north of Confederate Parkway, on the right when traveling north.
1. Gear House 2. Smoke House 3. Corn Crib 4. Double Pole Barn Donated by Mr. & Mrs. Carthell Kornegay. These buildings were located on the George Stewart Farm in Bibb County and restored in 1975… — Map (db m107513) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Tapawingo Bridge 1902
Near Tannehill Road 0.5 miles north of Confederate Parkway, on the right when traveling north.
This iron truss bridge was used by thousands of Birmingham area residents in the early 1900s while visiting Tapawingo Springs, once a popular swimming spot and tourist location in northeast Jefferson County. The bridge was originally located . . . — Map (db m107514) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Williams HouseCirca 1889
On Tannehill Road 0.5 miles north of Confederate Parkway, on the right when traveling north.
James Monroe "Jim" Williams married Martha Evaline George. Mr. Williams was a farmer and a coal miner at Gray Hill in Bibb County, Alabama. They raised ten children, of which seven were born in this house. Donated by Mrs. Audry . . . — Map (db m107511) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — America's First Office Park
On Office Park Circle 0.1 miles west of Cahaba Road, on the right when traveling west.
In 1955, Ervin Jackson and Newman H. Waters developed the first office park in the United States. Since 1871 office buildings had been located in downtown Birmingham so the concept of thousands of workers coming to a suburban work-place was a . . . — Map (db m83252) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — Canterbury United Methodist Church
Near Overbrook Road, on the left when traveling north.
Canterbury is the oldest existing establishment in Mountain Brook. It was organized in 1867 as Irondale Methodist when enough settlers to support the church moved into the area around the Irondale Furnace. The first time the North Alabama Conference . . . — Map (db m83919) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — First Tuberculosis Sanatorium
On Fairway Drive east of Cahaba Road, on the right when traveling east.
1,000 feet East a small group of tents erected May, 1910 by the Anti Tuberculosis Association of Jefferson County constituted the first effort to aid victims of tuberculosis in North Alabama. — Map (db m26964) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — Mountain Brook
On Church Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1821 the first settlers came to this area, later called Waddell. Large numbers of people first migrated here in 1863 with the construction of the Irondale Furnace. Destroyed in the Civil War, the furnace was rebuilt and operated from 1867 to . . . — Map (db m26769) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927)
On Mountain Brook Parkway east of Old Mill Lane, on the left when traveling east.
Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) The Father of Mountain Brook A man of great vision, dreams and enthusiasm, Robert Jemison, Jr. was by far the greatest real estate developer of Birmingham’s 20th century. The Post-Herald newspaper . . . — Map (db m83922) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — None — The Early Mountain Brook Village Area
On Cahaba Road, on the right when traveling north.
Once an Indian hunting ground, this land was opened for settlement after the War of 1812. The first settlers, who fought in that war under Andrew Jackson, came here in the early 1820’s after the U.S. acquired the land in the Creek Cession of 1814. . . . — Map (db m83923) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — Wallace S. McElwain / Irondale Furnace Ruins
On Stone River Road north of Old Leeds Lane, on the left when traveling north.
Wallace S. McElwain (1832-1888)McElwain trained in a gun factory in New York and in a foundry in Ohio before moving to Holly Springs, MS, where he operated Jones, McElwain and Company Iron Foundry. He was well known in the Southeast for his . . . — Map (db m26266) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mulga — Historic Lakeview Cemetery
On Port Birmingham Rd (State Highway 269) at Finland Road, on the right when traveling west on Port Birmingham Rd.
This cemetery is owned by St. John Baptist Church in Edgewater and operated by Scott-McPherson Funeral Home, Inc. US Steel Corporation previously owned the area and it is historically associated with the Edgewater Mining Camp community established . . . — Map (db m37221) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Pinson — Jefferson Warriors
On Center Point Road (State Highway 75) south of Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
In honor of the men from Mt. Pinson who formed the "Jefferson Warriors" in mid-July, 1861. Marching to Huntsville, they were mustered into the Confederate army on August 12th as Company C of the Nineteenth Alabama Infantry Regiment under the command . . . — Map (db m26988) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Pinson — Pinson, Alabama
On Main Street east of Center Point Road (State Highway 75), on the left when traveling east.
Pinson, one of Alabama’s oldest communities, was settled by General Andrew Jackson’s soldiers in the early 1800s, after victory at Horseshoe Bend during the War of 1812. The community was originally known as Hagood’s Crossroads for settler Zachariah . . . — Map (db m88406) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Tarrant — Tarrant City HallOriginally the Main Office for National Cast Iron Pipe Company
On Pinson Valley Parkway (Alabama Route 79), on the right when traveling south.
Front: A pipe foundry was established in 1912 by the following founders, A. H. Ford, F. M. Jackson, E. E. Linthicum, Charles Green and Charles Day. Originally the main office was located approximately 100 yards west of this building. The . . . — Map (db m83928) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Cahaba Project"Slagheap Village" — A government project under President Franklin D. Roosevelt —
On Main Street (U. S. Highway 11) at Parkway Drive, on the left when traveling east on Main Street (U. S. Highway 11).
A total of 243 houses and 44 duplex units were constructed from 1936 - 1938 at an overall cost of $2,661,981.26. Cahaba residents rented from the government until 1947, when the houses and duplexes were sold to individuals at prices ranging from . . . — Map (db m26227) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Confederate Storehouse Burned By Federal TroopsApril 20, 1865
On North Chalkville Road at Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south on North Chalkville Road.
On this site stood the stone warehouse of Captain Thomas Truss and Marcus Worthington. Stored here were meats, grains and clothing collected by the Confederate government as a war tax. Disabled C.S.A. veteran Felix M. Wood was receiver of the tax at . . . — Map (db m25819) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — First Baptist Church of Trussville
Near Main Street (U.S. 11) at Raimond Muscoda Drive, on the left when traveling east.
Organized as Cahawba Baptist Church, 1821 Elder Sion Blythe, pastor Anderson Robertson, Sherwood Holley, deacons John Stovall, Jordan Williams, trustees. Member of Canaan (now Birmingham) Baptist Association since its beginning in 1833. . . . — Map (db m78805) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Trussville
On Main Street (U. S. Highway 11), on the right when traveling east.
The Town of Trussville was named for the Truss Family who emigrated from North Carolina in the early 1820's. Trussville was incorporated in 1947. The present City Hall was constructed in 1959 on land patented in 1821 by Warren Truss. — Map (db m26225) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Trussville Furnace1889-1919
On Parkway Drive at North Mall, in the median on Parkway Drive.
Operated on this site under the ownership of seven companies to produce foundry pig iron. Supplied pig iron during World War 1. Closed for the last time in the Spring of 1919. Dismantled in 1933, and the land sold in 1935 for a Federal Housing . . . — Map (db m26229) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Trussville, Alabama
On Parkway Drive at Lake Street, on the right on Parkway Drive.
Trussville was settled between 1816 and 1819 by a few settlers from the Carolinas prior to Alabama becoming the 22nd state in December 1819. The First Baptist Church, Cahaba, was organized in 1821. Trussville’s first postmaster in 1833 was Arthur . . . — Map (db m34338) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Vestavia Hills — A History Of Vestavia Hills
On Montgomery Highway (US Highway 31) 0 miles north of Shades Crest Road, on the right.
In 1924, George Ward, a former mayor of Birmingham, 1905-1909, 1913-1914, visited the City of Rome, Italy. He was so intrigued by the unique beauty of the Temple of the Vestal Virgins on a Roman hilltop that he vowed to build a replica of it on a . . . — Map (db m25352) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Vestavia Hills — Sibyl Temple
On Montgomery Highway (U.S. 31) at Shades Crest Road, on the right when traveling south on Montgomery Highway.
Side A Sibyl Temple was moved to this site from its original location in 1975. George Ward built it on the brow of his 20-acre mountaintop “Vestavia” estate in 1929. It marked the entrance to the lower 10 acres where he planned a . . . — Map (db m37708) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Vestavia Hills — Vestavia Hills Baptist Church / George Ward 1867-1940
On Vestavia Drive east of Beaumont Drive, on the left when traveling east.
Vestavia Hills Baptist Church Vestavia Hills Baptist Church, constituted May 6, 1957, first met at Vestavia Hills City Hall. The church purchased the George Ward estate in 1958. On the property was Ward’s home, “Vestavia,” a replica . . . — Map (db m83931) HM

200 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement