Three miles west stands the third church of Hungars Parish, begun in 1742 and completed by 1751, one of two colonial churches remaining on Virginia's Eastern Shore. The parish built the glebe house or minister's residence, 5.5 miles west, about . . . — — Map (db m48938) HM
On June 2, 1608, John Smith and his crew set sail on the first of two voyages exploring the Chesapeake region. Their first stop was the Eastern Shore. At a place near today’s Cape Charles, they saw Indian men fishing with . . . — — Map (db m98497) HM
Two miles west stood Arlington, original home of the Custis Family, built by John Custis. The family tombs are still preserved there. Governor Wm. Berkeley made his headquarters there during Bacon's Rebellion in 1676. Arlington on the Potomac was . . . — — Map (db m98646) HM
In 1676, John Custis II was recognized as a wealthy and powerful man, not only on the Eastern Shore, but also in Jamestown. When Nathaniel Bacon assembled a militia to overthrow the royal government at Jamestown, Governor William Berkeley fled to . . . — — Map (db m98786) HM
The Town of Cape Charles was founded in 1884 by Alexander Cassatt and William L. Scott as the southern terminusof the New York, Philadelphia & Norfolk Railroad. The extension of tracks south from Maryland to Cape Charles opened the Northeastern . . . — — Map (db m48952) HM
Constructed in 1928, this school opened about 1930 for African American children in Cape Charles during
legalized segregation. The building was constructed with contributions from the local African American
community, the State Literary Fund, . . . — — Map (db m51004) HM
SS Delmarva, SS Princess Anne, and the SS Pocahontas operated out of Cape Charles to Little Creek, VA, from about 1933 to 1950. The first two vessels handled the traffic from 1933 to 1941. In 1941, the SS Pocahontas was . . . — — Map (db m52213) HM
The Chesapeake Bay, vital to the survival of many species of shorebirds and birds of prey, provides fish, mollusks, and crabs as well as a variety of nesting habitats along the Eastern Shore. Many of these birds can be seen gliding along the hulls . . . — — Map (db m98669) HM
Placed in 1948 to create a breakwater for the ferry system, these nine World War II-era concrete ships provide a unique habitat for birds and marine life.
Due to a steel shortage, these ships were built out of concrete in the early 1940s by . . . — — Map (db m98500) HM
The Eastern Shore has a rich agricultural history--from large British land grant farms to post-civil war tenant farmers and from large commercial outfits to small organic farms. Agriculture continues to be the largest economic activity on the . . . — — Map (db m98668) HM
Virginia’s southernmost barrier island includes about 1,850 acres of constantly shifting sand. Established as a refuge in 1969, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service acquired the last 25 acres of land in 2000.
Protection Fisherman Island . . . — — Map (db m98484) HM
When the English first visited the Eastern Shore in 1608, they found an area which had been inhabited for centuries by Algonquian Indian Tribes. Today archaeologists have found on or near the Arlington Plantation, shards of ceramics known as Roanoke . . . — — Map (db m98787) HM
Exploratory digs here in 1988 and 1994 uncovered a three brick wide foundation of an extraordinary 17th century home. Measuring 54 feet by 43.5 feet, this huge footing supported a structure described in 1709 as a "...Dwelling House built of brick . . . — — Map (db m98785) HM
Shipping traffic, commercial fisheries, recreation and tourism industries and the military rely on the Chesapeake Bay for its logistic potential. Native American canoes, colonial sailing ships, 20th century schooners, and modern cargo ships have . . . — — Map (db m98665) HM
Rails from the original tracks
laid on the riprap jetty in 1884
by the New York,
Philadelphia & Norfolk Railroad,
for officials to spend the night and
dine overlooking the Chesapeake Bay.
Presented in 1995
by the Eastern Shore . . . — — Map (db m61362) HM
During the early decades of the l7th century, natives of Angola were brought to the Caribbean islands to work on the tobacco and sugar plantations. From there they were brought to Virginia. In 1619 a Dutch man-o-war ship brought the first Negroes . . . — — Map (db m98793) HM
A meteor/comet two miles wide crossed paths with Earth 35 million years ago. Moving at the speed of 21 miles per second, it crashed here, and what is today the town of Cape Charles, creating the sixth largest impact crater on earth.
The meteor . . . — — Map (db m85789) HM
An ever-changing dynamic ecosystem, established dune ridges make up the backbone of the Eastern Shore. Over time, tides and wind cause sand to accumulate creating sand dunes. Intense storms and human impacts can cause erosion to the fragile dune . . . — — Map (db m98671)
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses National significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America
This rare fragment of 18th century Chesapeake landscape, with its Georgian house and . . . — — Map (db m94382) HM
1.8 miles east of here stood Salem Methodist Church (1836-1918), scene of the initial violence resulting from the schism between northern and southern Methodists in 1846. A northern circuit preacher was dragged from the pulpit by members of the . . . — — Map (db m7585) HM
Tidewater Institute was incorporated in 1903 with the stated purpose of establishing an industrial, academic, collegiate, and seminary boarding school for the education of black youth. Founded by the Rev. George E. Reid, and supported by the . . . — — Map (db m7586) HM
Benjamin Stratton, a member of the family that had owned the land since 1636, constructed this finely crafted house nearby about 1764, according to dated chimney bricks.Perhaps built on the site of an earlier Stratton dwelling, the house exemplifies . . . — — Map (db m48942) HM
This site, two and a
half miles west, was the first seat of
local government on the Eastern Shore.
Francis Bolton preached there in 1623,
and the first church was built before
1632. The oldest continuous county records
in the English . . . — — Map (db m48533) HM
Erected by the Harmanson-West Camp Confederate Veterans, The Daughters of the Confederacy and the citizens of the Eastern Shore of Virginia; to the soldiers of the Confederacy from Northampton and Accomack Counties. They died bravely in war, or in . . . — — Map (db m7590) HM
"Laughing King of Accomacke Emperor of the Easterne Shoare King of the Great Nussawattocks" A gallant warrior and a loyal friend to the early settlers of the Eastern Shore. His timely warning to the colonists of an intended uprising in 1621, saved . . . — — Map (db m7591) HM
The Gingaskin Indian Reservation was located nearby from 1640 to 1813 and was created from a land patent in 1640 that set aside land for the Accomac Indians. When the Accomacs moved there, they became known as the Gingaskins. They continued to . . . — — Map (db m7605) HM
This bell was installed in the attic of the 1989 Northampton County Courthouse during the original construction. When court was called into order, the Northampton County Sheriff would ring the bell and then stand out on the balcony and announce that . . . — — Map (db m71858) HM WM
Here, in Savage's Neck, was the home of Ensign Thomas Savage, who came to Virginia in 1608. Granted a tract of land by Debedeavon, the "Laughing King" of the indians, in 1619, Savage became the first permanent English settler on the Eastern Shore. A . . . — — Map (db m7606) HM
Thomas Savage, a lad of thirteen, arrived at Jamestown on 2 Jan. 1608 with Capt. Christopher Newport on the ship John and Francis. John Smith later wrote, "The next day Newport came a shore....A boy named Thomas Savage (whom Newport called . . . — — Map (db m71857) HM
The Northampton County Court Green is one of the earliest and most complete in Virginia. It includes outstanding examples of early court buildings as well as later structures reflecting the continuity of government in Eastville for well over 300 . . . — — Map (db m7589) HM
In Memory Of and Honor To the Brave Brave Men of Northampton County Who Lost Their Lives in Battle for Our Great Republic's Cause
World War I
Davis, Alfred W.
Edmonds, Thomas S. . . . — — Map (db m98851) WM
The courthouse was moved to Eastville in 1677, and court has been held here ever since. The old courthouse was built about 1731; from its door the Declaration of Independence was read, August 13, 1776. Militia barracks were here during the . . . — — Map (db m7587) HM
[Accomac County side]:
Area 502 Square Miles
The Eastern Shore was first known as the Kingdom of Accomac, for an indian tribe. Accomac was one of the original shires formed in 1634. The name was changed to Northampton . . . — — Map (db m7609) HM
Born enslaved on 29 May 1845 near Eastville, Northampton County, Peter Jacob Carter served in the 10th United States Colored Troops during the Civil War and afterward attended Hampton Institute. He represented Northampton in the House of Delegates . . . — — Map (db m61450) HM
Salt making began on the Eastern Shore of Virginia in the 1600's and continued until the early twentieth century. Salt was vital to Virginia.
During the Civil War, Confederate soldiers from the Shore often defied the Union blockade of the . . . — — Map (db m107028) HM
Numerous water-powered gristmills existed on the Eastern Shore of Virginia from the 1600's until as late as the 1930's. Water from streams or tides turned undershot waterwheels operating the sometimes very dangerous machinery used to rotate heavy . . . — — Map (db m107029) HM
In colonial times, the Church was responsible for the poor and received public tax money. This policy ended with the founding of the United States and the separation of church and state.
Northampton County opened its almshouse in 1804. It was a . . . — — Map (db m107025) HM
Constructed in 1953 as the county’s first purpose-built African American high school,
Northampton County High School reflects the desires of local African Americans to
obtain modern educational facilities. It is an example of the statewide efforts . . . — — Map (db m61057) HM
On October 9, 1803, William and Grace Eyre provided 51½ acres of land, the northeast corner of Eyre's "Hungars Plantation", to Northampton County to establish an almshouse. Shortly after 1804, the first almshouse for whites was built at this . . . — — Map (db m107019) HM
In 1910, a new facility for the African American poor of Northampton County was constructed by contractor David A. Dunton at a cost of $2,436.00 It consisted of a large common room and ten separate rooms for the residents, known as inmates. Each . . . — — Map (db m107023) HM
The Barrier Islands Center is a museum and cultural center whose Mission is to preserve and perpetuate the culture and history of Virginia's barrier islands through education, the protection and collection of artifacts, and the interpretation of . . . — — Map (db m107021) HM
Eighteenth century brick structure with wooden addition. The wooden half probably dates to the 1840's.
The bricks were handmade and are laid in the Flemish Bond pattern. The kitchen features a large pyramid chimney and fireplace, a surrounding . . . — — Map (db m107027) HM
This historic structure is one of the few remaining old-time storehouses on Virginia's Eastern Shore.
The front part of the building that faces the waterfront dates to the 1840s. It replaced a store that burned in 1837, along with a . . . — — Map (db m114499) HM