59 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
Adjacent to Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
► Columbia County (64) ► Dauphin County (281) ► Juniata County (15) ► Lycoming County (111) ► Montour County (18) ► Perry County (45) ► Schuylkill County (54) ► Snyder County (19) ► Union County (51)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|By deed dated Oct. 7, 1750, Richard and Thomas Penn conveyed the land upon which Herndon is located to Conrad Weiser for negotiating the Treaty of 1749 with the Indians. In 1850, the Trevorton, Mahanoy and Susquehanna Railway Co. erected a railroad . . . — — Map (db m14912) HM|
|In 1701, here, John Scull operated a trading post. He was the first known Englishman to visit the Indian village of "Shamokin" and was here as late as 1729. On October 17, 1750 Thomas and Richard Penn executed a deed for this land, including in . . . — — Map (db m14403) HM|
|Line Mountain, established 8/22/1749 by treaty negotiated by Conrad Weiser and Canassatego, Chief of the Onondaga Indians, extended from the Susquehanna to the Delaware River, and was the northern boundary of the province of PA. for almost 20 years. . . . — — Map (db m14402) HM|
|The Indian Ambassadors Road turned east near here over the hills to the Tulpehocken Valley. Used by Iroquois chiefs from Onondaga, now Syracuse, carrying peace wampum from the "Fire that Never Dies" to Philadelphia. Often traveled by Shickellamy. — — Map (db m14405) HM|
|Captain of Lancaster Co. militia with Col. Benedict Arnold on 1775 midwinter march to Quebec. In 1779, served as Vice-President of Pennsylvania Council. Died in 1794; buried here in an unmarked grave. — — Map (db m87581) HM|
|Jacob Freeland's house was stockaded in 1778 as a protection against Indians. On July 29, 1779 it was taken by British and Indians. The garrison of 21 were killed or taken prisoner. The site is a quarter-mile from here. — — Map (db m87576) HM|
|Mill built in 1773 and stockaded in 1778 by Jacob Freeland. Attacked, captured and destroyed by British Tories and Seneca Indians July 28, 1779. 108 settlers killed or taken prisoner. — — Map (db m87579) HM|
|Named for Indian occupation of the region. Presbyterian landmark. A log church was here in 1789. The present building erected in 1835. Restored in 1947 by Warrior Run Chapter D.A.R., aided by descendants and friends. — — Map (db m122484) HM|
|In 1971, Fred G. Hastings, who had been the editor of the Milton Standard, 1910 to 1956, returned to write a special series of articles for the newspaper called "Remembrance of Things Past." Among many personal accounts of early Milton, several of . . . — — Map (db m87622) HM|
|Baseball has been a very popular sport in Milton for many years. The numerous leagues date back to the late 1890's. Probably the shortest-lived league started one week before the Spanish-American War in 1898, folding after little more than a . . . — — Map (db m87618) HM|
|Organized in 1846 as the University at Lewisburg by the Baptist Church. Named Bucknell University in 1886, honoring William Bucknell, donor and trustee. Degrees first conferred upon women students in 1885. — — Map (db m87636) HM|
|In 1948, the Milton Borough Recreation Commission was formed and during the summer months four community parks were used under organized supervision for youth programs. The parks included Center Street, Marsh Park, Lincoln Street and Pollock . . . — — Map (db m87617) HM|
|It was built in 1803 by Peter Swartz for Dr. James Dougal, Milton's first permanent physician and the ancestor of a long line of physicians to practice in this community.
It survived the great Milton fire of 1880, and was demolished in 1974. Stones . . . — — Map (db m87628) HM|
|Riverside Park was located along the Susquehanna River between Milton and Watsontown, where Fort Boone Campground is now located. Owned by the Lewisburg, Milton and Watsontown (L.M.& W.) Passenger Railroad Company, it was built as an attraction for . . . — — Map (db m87625) HM|
|The center of the Milton Historic Downtown Walking Tour logo is a reproduction of the design used on the 1864 two-cent coin, which was the first coin minted by the United States with the inscription "In God We Trust." The Director of the Mint at . . . — — Map (db m87630) HM|
|The lower Limestone Run area of Milton, bordered by Broadway, Front, Mahoning, and Filbert Streets, had already begun to develop mostly as an industrial and business area in the early 1800's. While the east side of Front Street was mostly occupied . . . — — Map (db m87634) HM|
|The earlier residence of the noted Oneida chief was near here. As the Six Nations' overseer or vice-regent of the Delaware and other refugee Indians, he spent the most of his time from 1728 to 1748 at Shamokin, now Sunbury, where he died. — — Map (db m87635) HM|
|The Milton Fair was first held in 1885. The annual event was conducted each fall and soon grew to become one of the largest annual events in the state. The organization that operated it was the Milton Driving Park and Fair Association. Located on . . . — — Map (db m87623) HM|
|The Otzinachson Country Club, built in the 1920's, was a 9-hole course for many years. The unusual name "Otzinachson" was derived from the Indian name given to the Susquehanna River, meaning "the river of caves."
Over the years, the club grew in . . . — — Map (db m87620) HM|
|The first settler of Milton was Marcus Huling, who established a tavern in 1772 along the Susquehanna River at this location, which is now Lincoln Park. The British and Seneca Indians stormed and burned the famed Fort Freeland located north of . . . — — Map (db m87626) HM|
|A journey down the West Branch tells the tale of lumbering in Pennsylvania, from the early lumber mills to today's sustainable forests. As you float downstream you will see the legacy of lumber; the "rafting points" used by river pilots to navigate . . . — — Map (db m87639) HM|
|US Army officer; he rose to lieutenant general, 1955. Military tactician & strategist of airborne operations and limited wars. In World War II a paratrooper, regimental & division commander, 82nd Airborne Division; was in Sicily, Salerno, Normandy, . . . — — Map (db m14286) HM|
Who dared to die that we might live.
Born in Northumberland Pa.
Son of Geo. & Margaret Cooke
Enlisted in 102 Cavalry - Served 4 years W.W.II
Wounded in France Sept. 14 1944
Killed in Holland Oct. 27 1944.
Awarded Silver Star for . . . — — Map (db m119839) WM|
Capt. James Taggart Post, No. 350,
Dept. Pa., G.A.R.,
to the memory of
Soldiers of the War of 1861-1865.
"Left on the field of battle to moan out,
all alone, the death rattle."
Capt. James Taggart, Co. B, 5th . . . — — Map (db m119767) WM|
|The noted English scientist, discoverer of oxygen, and Unitarian theologian lived in Northumberland 1794 to 1804. His home and laboratory along the river are now a Priestley memorial and museum. — — Map (db m87649) HM|
|The noted English scientist, discoverer of oxygen, and Unitarian theologian lived in Northumberland, 1794 to 1804. His home and laboratory along the river are now a Priestley memorial and museum. — — Map (db m120475) HM|
Rededicated as a
1910 — — Map (db m167290) HM|
|Home, 1794 - 1804 of the noted English scientist.
Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. — — Map (db m87643) HM|
Address by President Lincoln
at the dedication of
the Gettysburg National Cemetery
November 19, 1863.
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the . . . — — Map (db m167294) HM|
|The North Branch and West Branch Divisions, built 1828-34, joined here in Northumberland at a canal basin. Boats with coal from Nanticke or lumber from Williamsport locked down into the river nearby and re-entered the Canal on the west bank. — — Map (db m14327) HM|
|This Division, built 1829-32, carried coal until 1901, from Nanticoke mines to Northumberland, and from there to inland towns and seaport cities. From Lackawanna Creek downwards there were 2 dams, 14 locks, and 7 aqueducts. Traces of towpath and . . . — — Map (db m87646) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m167286) HM|
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — — Map (db m167281) HM|
In memory of
our valiant and
Grant them peace
and eternal rest.
Dedicated Nov. 11, 1994 — — Map (db m119838) WM|
the men and women of
and Point Township
who have honorably served
in the Armed Forces
of the United States — — Map (db m167298) WM|
Let us hold in honored memory
those men and women from
Northumberland and Point Township
who gave the supreme sacrifice
for their country in all wars
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
War World I [sic]
John Fletcher Clair . . . — — Map (db m167297) WM|
|Section of the Iroquois Warriors Path, following the Susquehanna from the Wyoming Valley to Shamokin, now Sunbury. U.S. 11 follows its general route. South of here the trail crossed to Shamokin Island. — — Map (db m87648) HM|
Character cutouts were made by artist Frank Meisel who was
hired by Pete Knoebel around 1950 to paint everything
from signs to scenery panels. The clown appeared
at Burch Drug Store in Elysburg to announce
the . . . — — Map (db m122681) HM|
Built in 1907 as a Barrel organ in North Tonawanda NY. organ
Co. and converted about 1914 by Wurlitzer Co. to a double paper
roll system, it was obtained by
Knoebel's in 1948 from Croop's
Glen Park, . . . — — Map (db m166174) HM|
|The 28 horses on this carousel were hand-carved in 1912 by Solomon Stein & Harry Goldstein of Brooklyn, N.Y. Purchased by Lawrence Knoebel in 1948 from Croop's Glen Park, Hunlock Creek, Penna., it was used at nearby fairs and carnivals. It was . . . — — Map (db m122672) HM|
|Opened Sunbury to Paxinos in 1835, operated on wood rails by horsepower. Steam locomotive first used in 1838; and iron rails, 1853. The terminal was nearby; here anthracite was loaded on canal boats for shipment to Philadelphia, Baltimore. — — Map (db m14389) HM|
|First successful use of a three-wire electric lighting system was made July 4, 1883, in the City Hotel building in Sunbury. Thomas A. Edison directed the work. The Edison Electric Illuminating Co. plant was at 4th and Vine Street. — — Map (db m14352) HM|
|When Imperial Germany surrendered at the end of World War I in 1918, many of its cannon were sent to the United States as war trophies. This cannon was acquired by the City of Sunbury and Milton Jarret Norman American Legion Post 201 and placed in . . . — — Map (db m87661) HM|
|Built in 1756-57 by Cols. Burd and Clapham and the key frontier outpost of the region. Mansion built 1852. — — Map (db m14359) HM|
|Mozart's librettist in the 1780s for "The Marriage of Figaro," "Don Giovanni," and "Cosi fan tutte" came to America in 1805 and lived in Sunbury from June 1811 to August 1818. Da Ponte wrote that on visiting Sunbury, the adopted home of his wife's . . . — — Map (db m87684) HM|
| West Side Give them the meed they have won in the past Give them the honors their merits forecast Give them the chaplets they won in the strife Give them the laurels they lost with their life.South side Erected to the Memory of the . . . — — Map (db m87652) WM|
|Formed March 21, 1772 from Lancaster, Cumberland, Berks, Bedford and Northampton counties. Some 27 counties today occupy its once vast area. Sunbury, the county seat, was laid out 1772. Site of Fort Augusta, a key post built 1756-57. — — Map (db m87686) HM|
|Oneida chief and overseer or vice-regent of the Six Nations asserting Iroquois domination over conquered Delaware and other tribes. He lived at Shamokin Indian town, Sunbury, from about 1728 until his death, 1748. Said to be buried near here. — — Map (db m14371) HM|
|Erected as a memorial to Shikellamy, also Swataney, "Our Enlightener," the Representative of the Six Nations in this province. First sent to Shamokin (Sunbury) in 1728; appointed vicegerent in 1745. Died Dec. 6, 1758; He was buried near this spot. . . . — — Map (db m14374) HM|
|If you stand on this spot and look across the Susquehanna River toward the bridge on the right, you can see the face of Chief Shikellamy profiled in the cliff above the opposite shore. Visible are his hairline, forehead and nose. In colonial times, . . . — — Map (db m14373) HM|
|Laid out 1772 as the county seat of Northumberland on the site of Indian Shamokin by surveyor-General Lukens and William Maclay. Borough incorporation Mar. 24, 1797. Here Fort Augusta was built in 1756. Historic center of travel, trade and industry. — — Map (db m14390) HM|
|Laid out 1772 as the county seat of Northumberland on the site of Indian Shamokin by surveyor-General Lukens and William Maclay. Borough incorporation Mar. 24, 1797. Here Fort Augusta was built in 1756. Historic center of travel, trade and industry. — — Map (db m87690) HM|
|Laid out 1772 as the county seat of Northumberland on the site of Indian Shamokin by surveyor-General William Maclay. Borough incorporation Mar. 24, 1797. Here Fort Augusta was built in 1756. Historic center of travel, trade and industry. — — Map (db m95244) HM|
| Center Monument Erected to the Memory of The World War Heroes by The Sunbury Civic Club Nov. 11, 1921 J. MacBrill Raymond Barnasconi Harold G. Edwards Hunter Foulkrod Herbert E. Kaufman Milton J. Norman Roy A. Thomas Willis L. . . . — — Map (db m87658) WM|
|Here during the French and Indian War (1754 - 1763), one colonial soldier venturing from the garrison at nearby Fort Augusta, was fatally shot by an Indian foe. His blood is said to have crimsoned its waters. — — Map (db m87688) HM|
|This tablet commemorates the installation at Sunbury PA., of the first three-wire central station incandescent electric lighting plant in the world.
On the night of July 4, 1883, Thomas A. Edison, the creator of the incandescent lamp, and inventor . . . — — Map (db m89742) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m14370) HM|
|Recruited from nearby points in June 1775, Lowdon's Company was part of the first battalion in the colonies authorized by Congress. Among those who entered Continental service in this company was Timothy Murphy, whose many feats of marksmanship were . . . — — Map (db m14360) HM|
|Lived in the house opposite 1773-86, and then moved to Harrisburg. Member of the first U.S. Senate; wrote a famous Journal of its debates. A critic of Washington and Hamilton; pioneer leader of Jeffersonian democracy. He helped survey Sunbury, 1772. — — Map (db m14388) HM|