Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ottawa County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Confederate Stockade Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, August 5, 2015
Confederate Stockade Cemetery Marker
Ohio (Ottawa County), Lakeside Marblehead — Confederate Stockade Cemetery
Confederate Prison On November 15, 1861, the War Department leased one half of Johnson’s Island, in Sandusky Bay, Ohio, and began constructing a 15-acre prison camp on the southeast shore. When complete, the prison complex included a . . . — Map (db m86745) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Lakeside Marblehead — Johnson Island Monument
In this hallowed ground, surrounded by the iron fence and gates that date to 1912, are two hundred six marble grave markers. These markers were placed in 1890, courtesy of the citizens of Georgia, replacing the original hand carved wooden markers, . . . — Map (db m89189) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Lakeside Marblehead — Johnson's Island Civil War Prison
has been designated a National Historic Landmark The Johnson's Island Civil War Prison of 1862-1865 served as a vital depot for the confinement of confederate prisoners-of-war during much of the American Civil War. This prison was one of . . . — Map (db m90710) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Lakeside Marblehead — The Johnson’s Island Committee
The Johnson’s Island Committee, composed of Ohio Division United Daughters of the Confederacy®, The Lieutenant General James Longstreet Camp 1658, Sons of Confederate Veterans and others loyal to the cause, in the course of its mission, discovered . . . — Map (db m89191) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Lakeside Marblehead — The Lookout
SOUTHERN 1910 Erected by the Robert Patton Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy of Cincinnati, Ohio, in memory of the southern soldiers who died in the Federal prison on this island during the War between the States. . . . — Map (db m86755) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — 1-62 — First Battle Site1812 — Ohio Historical Marker
The first War of 1812 battle on Ohio soil was fought here when about 60 exhausted citizen soldiers were ambushed by about 130 Indians on September 29. Twenty men held the Indians at bay in a cabin while the main body escaped by boat to Cedar Point. . . . — Map (db m35956) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — Home of Benajah Walcott
The private home of Benajah Walcott 1762-1832 1st Keeper – Marblehead Lighthouse has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m87268) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — In Memory of Mason, Simonds & Mingus
[Marker Front]: In memory of Mason, Simonds, & Mingus. Who fell near this place in battle with the Indians. Sept. 29, 1812. [Marker Side]: This Monument was erected in 1857 by Joshua R. Giddings . . . — Map (db m18978) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — 2-62 — Johnson's IslandMilitary Prison Camp
In 1861 the United States Army established a prisoner of war camp on Johnson's Island, approximately 1 mile south of this point. The camp, which housed captured Confederate officers, was maintained until 1865 when it was dismantled. The camp . . . — Map (db m19012) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — Johnson's Island Prison1862-1865
[Marker Front]: CONSTRUCTION In 1861 it became apparent to Federal authorities that the war would not end quickly and plans were made for construction of prisons to permanently house thousands of Confederate prisoners. Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m19018) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — 11-62 — Lake ErieA Feature of Ohio's Water Resources
In total area, Lake Erie is the twelfth largest freshwater lake in the world and the most shallow of the five Great Lakes. It is about 210 miles long, 57 miles wide, with a shoreline of approximately 871 miles, and has a maximum depth of 210 feet. . . . — Map (db m40066) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — Marblehead Lighthouse
If you had the opportunity to climb the 77 steps of the Marblehead Lighthouse, you might be tired! This magnificent 65 feet beacon, originally 50 feet was built in 1821 in just eleven weeks an additional 15 feet was added to the structure in 1903. . . . — Map (db m90707) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — The Keeper’s House
      The Keeper’s House is so named because it was the personal residence of the first two keepers of the nearby Marblehead Lighthouse. The house was built for Benajah Wolcott and his wife Rachel Miller by William Kelly, a stonemason from . . . — Map (db m87283) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Marblehead — 6-62 — The Keeper's HouseOhio Historical Marker
Built in 1822, this native limestone structure was the home of Benajah Wolcott, first keeper of the Marblehead Lighthouse (originally called the Sandusky Bay Light), and his second wife, Rachel Miller Wolcott. Benajah maintained the lighthouse from . . . — Map (db m18980) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Oak Harbor — 12-62 — Magee Marsh Wildlife AreaA Feature of the Great Black Swamp
A dense swamp forest roughly the size of the state of Connecticut once stretched across this region of Ohio and Indiana. A remnant of ancient Lake Maumee, this dense, soggy flatland supported abundant waterfowl and wildlife, but blocked travel and . . . — Map (db m49658) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Port Clinton — American Expedition 1813Across the De Lery Portage
From Fort Seneca to Detroit and the invasion of Canada as noted in Captain R.B. McAfee's history 1816. Major General Harrison on receiving word of Commodore Perry's victory proceeded to Fort Stephenson and "issued his orders for the movement of . . . — Map (db m18252) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Port Clinton — Boundary MarkerNorthwest
The Western Reserve 41° N. Latitude 120 Miles Northwest Boundary Marker of the Connecticut Western Reserve. Conveyed to the United States, September 11, 1786 — Map (db m31727) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Port Clinton — C47 — End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m18174) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Port Clinton — Fort Sites / De Lery Portage
South face:Fort SitesFort Sites Here near the peninsula carrying place where earlier British traders may have had a post, French soldiers built in 1750 and 1751 a small palisaded fort later called "Sandoski." Lt. deLery . . . — Map (db m20524) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Port Clinton — Indian Mill Stone
This stone, with indentations on the top making natural bowls, was used for grinding corn. It was found at the site of old Fort Sandoski which stood on the north shore of Sandusky Bay overlooking the south end of the De Lery Portage. — Map (db m41341) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Port Clinton — Old French War - Pontiac's Conspiracy - Revolutionary War / French Expedition, 1754
East Face:Old French War - Pontiac's Conspiracy - Revolutionary War Northern terminus of the old Indian waterway and land trail the Sandusky-Scioto Route from Lake Erie to the Ohio River used from the earliest records by the Indian and . . . — Map (db m20516) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Port Clinton — War of 1812
Captain Barclay's British Fleet transporting General Proctor's British army sailed up the Sandusky River to make their assault on Fort Stephenson August 1st and 2nd 1813 of which General Sherman wrote: "The defense of Fort Stephenson by Croghan . . . — Map (db m18257) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-in-Bay — Amareta Mosher Anchor
This one ton anchor was salvaged from the schooner Amareta Mosher, built in 1867 in Ashtabula, Ohio. On November 23rd, 1902 she sank on Starve Island Reef. Special thanks to Ernie and Ann Washington for salvaging . . . — Map (db m126217) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-in-Bay — 5-62 — First Ship-To-Shore Radio Broadcast
On July 18, 1907, Dr. Lee deForest broadcast the first ship-to-shore radio message from the steam yacht Thelma. The communication provided quick, accurate race results of the Annual Inter-Lakes Yachting Association (I-LYA) Regatta. Frank E. . . . — Map (db m126206) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-In-Bay — 8-62 — Gibraltar Island
This 6.5 acre island, named for the resemblance of its dolomite ledges to the Rock of Gibraltar, was the likely observation site for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's naval forces during the Battle of Lake Erie in September 1813. Stone Laboratory, . . . — Map (db m46785) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-in-Bay — Gibraltar Monument
Erected by Jay Cooke patriotic financier of the Civil War to mark the corner stone of a proposed monument commemorating Commodore Perry's victory at the Battle of Lake Erie Sept 10 1813 "We have met the enemy and . . . — Map (db m35955) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-in-Bay — 14-62 — Jay Cooke Mansion
Completed in 1865, this home was the vacation retreat of Jay Cooke and his family. Known as the "financier" for the Union states during the Civil War, Cooke organized a program to sell millions of dollars worth of bonds to support the war effort. . . . — Map (db m35954) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-In-Bay — 13-62 — Joseph De Rivera St. Jurgo, 1813-1889
Entrepreneur and philanthropist Joseph (José) de Rivera was born in Barcelona, Spain, and built an import business in New York City. In 1854, he bought six Lake Erie Islands and had South Bass Island surveyed and subdivided into ten-acre lots. De . . . — Map (db m46806) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-In-Bay — Oelschlager's Dry Goods Store
. . . — Map (db m46815) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-In-Bay — Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial
The Battle of Lake Erie September 10, 1813 American.........................................British O.H. Perry............Commander............R.H. Barclay 9...............Vessels...............6 . . . — Map (db m58544) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-in-Bay — 9-62 — South Bass Island Light
Constructed and first lit in 1897, the South Bass Island Light was in continuous operation until 1962 when the U. S. Coast Guard built an automated light tower to replace it. Significant for its contribution to transportation and commerce on Lake . . . — Map (db m28086) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-in-Bay — The Doller House
On land purchased in June 1866 from Jose De Rivera St. Jurgo Valentine Doller, Postmaster, Mayor and island entrepreneur, built this Victorian, Italianate home for his wife and six daughters. Wood Section 1867 • Brick Section 1885 . . . — Map (db m126224) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Put-In-Bay — Within This Enclosure
Within this enclosure reposed for a century the remains of Three American and three British officers killed in the Battle of Lake Erie, September 10th, 1813. They were disinterred September 11th, 1913, and re-interred in the crypt of Perry . . . — Map (db m46808) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.