Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Palm Beach County Florida Historical Markers

 
Belle Glade 1928 Marker image, Touch for more information
Belle Glade 1928 Marker
Florida (Palm Beach County), Belle Glade — Belle Glade 1928
This statue is to honor the early Glades pioneers and the more than two thousand persons who lost their lives in the disastrous 1928 hurricane.

Belle Glade Centennial Committee May 31, 1976 — Map (db m114849) HM

Florida (Palm Beach County), Belle Glade — Everglades Research
The Everglades Experiment Station was established on this site in 1921 to help families deal with the challenges of living and working in the area. Soil nutrient deficiencies and two major hurricanes in 1926 and 1928 hindered early research. UF . . . — Map (db m114917) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boca Raton — F-333 — Boca Raton Town Hall
Designed in the Mediterranean Revival style by the architect Addison C. Mizner and completed by the architect William E. Alysmeyer, the Boca Raton Town Hall opened in April 1927 as the city's first municipal building, fire station and police . . . — Map (db m94687) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boca Raton — F-331 — F.E.C. Railway Depot, Boca Raton
The rails of Henry Flagler’s Florida East Coast Railway first reached Boca Raton in 1895 providing an essential link in the extension of the railroad system south to Miami and the Florida Keys, and fostering the tourism and agricultural . . . — Map (db m96926) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boca Raton — F-635 — Old Floresta Historic District
In October 1925, architect Addison Mizner announced construction of houses for his company’s executives and his brother, the Reverend Henry Mizner, in the subdivision now known as Old Floresta. The Robinson Company, a New York contractor building . . . — Map (db m41667) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boca Raton — F-180 — The Barefoot Mailmen
Along this beach in the 1880’s and early 1890’s walked United States mailmen on their sixty-six mile journey between Palm Beach and Miami. The trip required three days each way and they passed this spot the second day. They walked barefoot at the . . . — Map (db m96964) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boca Raton — The Sanborn Wall
On this spot in June 1942, spies from German U-boats landed and occupied Dr. William Sanford’s home built on this site in 1937. The subs, deployed during WWII as part of Hitler’s Operation Drumbeat, torpedoed tankers and freighters traveling the . . . — Map (db m114951) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boynton Beach — F-627 — 1913 Boynton Elementary School
Boynton Elementary School/Boynton School, designed by West Palm Beach architect William Maughlin is of the masonry vernacular style, has two floors, six classrooms and attic space leading to the belfry. The original staircase and floors were built . . . — Map (db m96654) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boynton Beach — F-785 — Bethesda Memorial Hospital
The area surrounding this site was first settled in the late 1890s. For six decades, a handful of doctors and midwives provided rudimentary medical care to area residents. With the nearest hospital located 18 miles away in West Palm Beach, critical . . . — Map (db m96494) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boynton Beach — F-355 — Boynton Woman's Club
The Boynton Woman’s Club was designed in Mediterranean Revival style by the famous Palm Beach architect Addison C. Mizner. The Woman’s Club is significant for both its architectural merit and contributions to the cultural development of Boynton . . . — Map (db m96653) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boynton Beach — F-760 — South Lake Worth Inlet
The South Lake Worth Inlet was constructed between 1925 and 1927 to improve water quality and circulation between the south end of Lake Worth and the Atlantic Ocean. The first inlet to Lake Worth was cut in the mid-19th century at the north end of . . . — Map (db m96656) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Canal Point — F-312 — Conners’ Toll Highway
Prior to 1923, travel into or out of the Lake Okeechobee Area was accomplished only by boat or canoe. In the early 1920’s, W. J. Conner, a New York winter visitor bought 4000 acres of undeveloped muck land near this site. Development required that . . . — Map (db m91951) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-717 — Atlantic Avenue Crossing
Atlantic Avenue’s crossing of the Florida East Coast Canal (now the Intracoastal Waterway) played an important role in the early history of Delray Beach. Civil engineer Burslem Thomson drew the first plat of “Linton,” now Delray Beach, . . . — Map (db m96884) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — Beach Dedication
Sara Gleason, Belle G. Dimick Reese and Ella M. Dimick Potter dedicated this beach to the public in 1899. In 1895 Sarah Gleason and her husband’s business partner, W.H. Hunt, sold a parcel of land containing the beach area to William S. Linton for . . . — Map (db m96920) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-718 — Cason Cottage
In 1899 the Tasker family purchased this block and built a house on the southwest corner. Phoebe A. Verrill bought the house in 1909 and sold it to the Cason family in 1921. The Casons converted the house into apartments and c.1924 built a second . . . — Map (db m96763) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — City of Delray Beach
In recognition of these Organizations’ contributions to the cultural development of Delray Beach, the City Commission designated these locations as historic sites on April 11, 1989. • 1895 School No. 4 Delray Colored, located at this site • . . . — Map (db m96880) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-665 — Del-Ida Park Historic District
Recorded in 1923, Del-Ida Park was one of Delray Beach’s earliest planned neighborhoods. Del-Ida Park’s unusual diagonal arrangement of streets, triangular lots, and public parks are unique when contrasted with the grid pattern layout of the . . . — Map (db m96970) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-666 — Del-Ida Park Historic District
The Del-Ida Park subdivision was first recorded on September 18, 1923. Motivated by patriotic spirit and the optimism of Florida’s land boom, Del-Ida Park originally contained streets named after six U. S. Presidents. Mr. J. C. Secord of Miami . . . — Map (db m96971) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-847 — Delray Beach Hotel
The Delray Beach Hotel was constructed on this site in 1939. Engineered by William Victor Peterson and built by Taylor Construction, the Mediterranean style hotel featured a Cuban tile roof, high ceilings with exposed beams, and large glass windows . . . — Map (db m96888) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — Delray History
After the Civil War, the population in the Confederate States declined dramatically as a result of the mass exodus of freed slaves. In Florida, however, the population increased from around 140,000 in 1860 to 530,000 in 1900. Half of these early . . . — Map (db m96882) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-653 — First Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall
An orange grove, once located at this site, played a role in the early development of Delray Beach. Until 1876, an old, sour orange grove was the only distinguishable characteristic within 60 miles of a sparsely inhabited subtropical wilderness . . . — Map (db m96885) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-375 — Florida East Coast Railway Station
This 40’ freight section is all that remains of the old railroad station constructed in 1896 by the Florida East Coast Railway Company. The station originally stood on the east side of the tracks, one block south of Atlantic Avenue. The original . . . — Map (db m96973) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-617 — J. B. Evans HouseAlso known as the Sandoway House Nature Center
The Sandoway House Nature Center was designed as a home by Samuel Ogren, Sr., in 1936 for early Delray Beach winter resident J. B. Evans, a retired produce broker. It is one of the last remaining Resort Colonial Revival houses in Delray Beach. . . . — Map (db m41839) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-664 — Marina Historic District
The Marina Historic District, a historically small-scale neighborhood, was primarily developed from 1922 to 1943 and showcases many irreplaceable architectural resources. Later development of the 1940s, 1950's, and beyond provides prime examples of . . . — Map (db m41704) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-663 — Marina Historic District
Primarily developed between 1922 and 1943, the Marina Historic District displays a variety of architectural styles including Mediterranean and Mission Revival, Monterey, Minimal Traditional, Frame Vernacular and Art Moderne. The prominent . . . — Map (db m41818) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-661 — Nassau Park Historic District
Nassau Park, Delray Beach’s first locally designated historic district, spans two blocks along Nassau Street from South Ocean Boulevard to Venetian Drive. In 1935, a newspaper ad for Ray-Del Realty Co. described Nassau Park as “West Indian . . . — Map (db m96886) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-669 — Old School Square Historic District
Old School Square Historic District is named for its focal point, the Old School Square Complex at 51 North Swinton Avenue which is made up of the circa 1913 Vernacular style Delray School designed by J.M. Cromer, the city’s first separate high . . . — Map (db m96972) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-148 — Orange Grove House of Refuge No. 31876-1927
One of several built by Treasury Department between Cape Canaveral and Cape Florida for rescue and sustenance of shipwrecked. Named for wild sour orange grove nearby, H.D. Pierce, first keeper, arrived with family May 1876. Here August 15, 1876, was . . . — Map (db m96919) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-327 — The Delray Wreck
The old shipwreck know as the Delray Wreck rests at the bottom of the ocean in 25 feet of water about 150 yards offshore the south end of Delray’s municipal beach. The wreck is broken and scattered into five sections and has long been one of the . . . — Map (db m41819) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-667 — West Settlers Historic District
Established in 1894, the West Settlers area is the site of the first African-American settlement in Delray Beach. African-Americans from the north and west Florida, Georgia and South Carolina were the first non-Native Americans in the area, laying . . . — Map (db m96807) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-668 — West Settlers Historic District
The West Settlers community, established in 1894 as Delray Beach’s first African-American community, was self-sufficient with commercial buildings and churches serving its residents. Originally N Blackmer Street, NW 5th Avenue was the hub of . . . — Map (db m96808) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Gulf Stream — F-490 — North Ocean Boulevard
In 1992, North Ocean Boulevard (State Road A1A) in the Town of Gulf Stream, was designated as a State Historic Scenic Highway to preserve the last remaining Australian Pine Canopy and the original character and beauty of the 1920s A1A in Florida. . . . — Map (db m96891) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Gulf Stream — F-495 — North Ocean Boulevard
In 1992, North Ocean Boulevard (State Road A1A) in the Town of Gulf Stream, was designated as a State Historic Scenic Highway to preserve the last remaining Australian Pine Canopy and the original character and beauty of the 1920s A1A in Florida. . . . — Map (db m97421) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Juno Beach — Celestial Railroad
As a memorial to the pioneers of this section of Florida. On this spot the Celestial Railroad, once connecting Jupiter with Juno, is crossed by the Federal Highway. Juno, at the north end of Lake Worth was the county seat of Dade County, then . . . — Map (db m97052) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — "Dive Into History"(Año - 1659)
These shipwrecked iron cannons and anchor were uncovered in July of 1987, just 2000 yards east of this spot in 10 feet of water off Jupiter Inlet. Archives and research link these maritime remains to the Spanish "Aviso" vessel named "San Miguel . . . — Map (db m83342) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — Ft. Jupiter - Jupiter Lighthouse
Fort Jupiter was located three miles west on Loxahatchee River, erected January 1838 by troops commanded by Major General Thomas S. Jessup, establishing base for operations in the Seminole Indian Wars. Jupiter Lighthouse, approximately one mile . . . — Map (db m96947) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-650 — Historic Jupiter School
This building was constructed in 1927 to serve the town’s approximately 100 white students from grades one through twelve. Prior to its construction, students were transported by boat to attend schools along the Loxahatchee River including the 1891 . . . — Map (db m97071) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-695 — Jesup's BattleJanuary 24, 1838
On January 24, 1838, Major General Thomas S Jesup, commanding 1,500 men, the largest army of Second Seminole War (1835-42), marched to the headwaters of the Loxahatchee River, where he defeated approximately 300 Red and Black Seminoles in the last . . . — Map (db m99904) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — Jupiter Inlet Midden I
Jupiter Inlet Midden I is an ancient shell mound built by Indians known as Jeaga. A description of these Indians by Jonathan Dickinson was first published in 1699. This shell mound is the site of the village of Hobe where the Dickinson shipwreck . . . — Map (db m96948) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-753 — Jupiter Inlet Shipwrecks1600-1700s
During the 17th century, Spanish galleons and merchant ships navigated the treacherous waters off the Florida coast. These vessels carried silver and gemstones from the mines of Mexico and Peru. They routinely ran a narrow gauntlet of shallow water, . . . — Map (db m96952) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — Jupiter Lighthouse
Designed by George G. Meade, later Federal commander at Gettysburg. First lighted July 10, 1860. Dark during the War Between the States and its mechanism hidden by Southern sympathizers. Relighted June 28, 1866, it has not missed a night in over . . . — Map (db m96951) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-890 — L.M. Davis Elementary School
Education was a challenging priority for the African-American community of Limestone Creek. Denied access to Jupiter’s nearby public schools by segregation laws, the community opened its own school in 1905. The “Jupiter Colored School,” . . . — Map (db m95663) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-631 — Military Trail
After the second Battle of the Loxahatchee (January 24, 1838) during the Second Seminole War (1835-1842), Maj. Gen. Thomas S. Jesup directed Maj. William Lauderdale, Commander of the Tennessee Battalion of Volunteers to cut a trail south from Ft. . . . — Map (db m97073) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-773 — Mt. Carmel Missionary Baptist Church & Cemetery
Mount Carmel Missionary Baptist Church, a cornerstone of Jupiter’s African American community, was organized in 1902 by the Reverend J. A. Wannamaker and the pioneer families of Simmons, Campbell, Ford, Bush, and Davis. These early settlers arrived . . . — Map (db m95675) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-646 — Powell's Battle
On January 15,1838, during the Second Seminole War.The Seminoles met and defeated U.S. forces in the first battle of the Loxahatchee River.Trying to end the war,Maj. Gen. Thomas Jesup brought several columns of troops to south Florida, including . . . — Map (db m99906) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-587 — Sawfish Bay
The waterfront location of today’s Sawfish Bay Park played a major role in the prehistoric and historic settlement of the Jupiter area. First inhabited during the Archaic Period 5,000 years ago, this site provided access to an intricate . . . — Map (db m96953) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — Tennessee Volunteers and Militia Camp
During the 2nd Seminole Indian War and after the Battle of Loxahatchee Jan. 24, 1838, the Tennessee Volunteers and Militia camped on this site. One mile east, the U.S. Army Regulars established Old Fort Jupiter. — Map (db m96969) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-702 — The Jupiter and Lake Worth Railway "Celestial Railroad" 1889-1895
The Jupiter and Lake Worth (J. & L.W.) Railway crossed this site running 7 ½ miles from Jupiter Inlet to Juno at the north end of Lake Worth. A hack line originally operated on the same route, transporting visitors and freight with wagons . . . — Map (db m127261) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — U.S. Jupiter Life Saving Station1886-1896
To mark the location of the U.S. Jupiter Life Saving Station 1886-1896 and as a memorial to those gallant men who manned it, of which the following remained and founded families in this locality: Captain John R. Carlin John H. Grant . . . — Map (db m96949) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-703 — United States Life Saving StationJupiter Inlet — 1885-1899
In 1885, the only United States Life Saving Station on the Florida East Coast was built at this site. Charles R. Carlin, a former British sailor and Assistant Keeper at the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, oversaw construction and served as the Station’s . . . — Map (db m96950) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — F-588 — World War II U.S. Naval Housing Building
The U.S. Navy constructed this building (circa 1939) on land included in the Federal Jupiter Lighthouse Reservation established by President Franklin Pierce in 1854. Built as Married Men's Quarters, the two-story wood-frame building had six . . . — Map (db m83278) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Lake Park — F-416 — Lake Park Town Hall
Boston entrepreneur Harry S. Kelsey founded Kelsey City in 1921. He envisioned his town as a resort mecca and winter retreat for wealthy northerners. The Town hall was designed by architect Bruce Kitchell in 1927 and was built by Arnold Construction . . . — Map (db m97053) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Lake Worth — F-579 — Coastal Patrol Base No. 3Civil Air Patrol (CAP) — 1942 - 1943
Coastal Patrol Base No. 3 at Lantana Airport was one of three 90-day experimental bases established on the east coast of the United States to assist with anti-submarine patrols. Civilian aviators flew missions up to 60 miles out to sea between Palm . . . — Map (db m63179) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Lake Worth — First Schoolhouse
Site of the first schoolhouse erected in the Town of Lake Worth in 1912 - a frame building twenty-four by thirty-six feet. Initial enrollment was twenty-four pupils. In February 1916, building was replaced on this site by a concrete building - the . . . — Map (db m96615) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Lake Worth — First Town Hall
Site of building erected in 1915 as the first Town Hall of Lake Worth, chartered in 1913. Civic and social affairs before 1915 were conducted in a wooden building nearby, known as the Club House or Auditorium. J.W. Means served as mayor in 1913, and . . . — Map (db m96616) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Lake Worth — F-248 — Palm Beach Junior CollegeFlorida's First Public Junior College
The earliest junior colleges in Florida were established under private auspices, beginning in 1907 with Palmer College at DeFuniak Springs. The first public junior college was instituted by the Palm Beach County school board during the Depression . . . — Map (db m96618) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Lantana — F-771 — Chapel Of The Holy Spirit
The Chapel of the Holy Spirit, formerly known as the Minerva Chapel, is one of the oldest buildings in Palm Beach County. This eclectic style building was first used as a tea house for the Royal Poinciana Hotel in Palm Beach, which was built by . . . — Map (db m96495) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Lantana — F-757 — Evergreen Cemetery
Evergreen Cemetery was established by the Evergreen Cemetery Company in 1892 as a final resting place for local families. The cemetery’s land was purchased by M.B. Lyman, Lantana’s founder. Lyman, who is buried in the cemetery, served as the town’s . . . — Map (db m96619) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — Bethesda-By-The-Sea
East of this marker is the Episcopal Church of Bethesda-By-The-Sea built in 1894 (last service held Easter Sunday April 12, 1925). Most of the worshippers came by boat as there was no roadway to the church, which was bordered on the east by an . . . — Map (db m96713) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — F-727 — Cocoanut Grove House
The Cocoanut Grove House, once Florida’s only hotel on the east coast between Titusville and Key West, stood at this location. The hotel was originally built in 1876 by Elisha Newton “Cap” Dimick as a private residence for his family . . . — Map (db m96696) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — Duck's Nest
Oldest standing house in Palm Beach built in 1891 by Henry Maddock for his home. Parts of the house were assembled in New York and brought by barge to Palm Beach, as this was the only means of transportation. — Map (db m96711) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — F-113 — Episcopal Church of Bethesda-By-The-Sea
The original church constructed in 1889 on the eastern shore of Lake Worth was the first Protestant church building in southeast Florida. The present edifice, erected in 1926 as a monument to international friendship, has served all races, nations, . . . — Map (db m95676) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — F-694 — Little Red SchoolhouseFirst Schoolhouse in Southeast Florida
Founded in 1886 as a community project, the Little Red Schoolhouse was the first one-room school built in southeast Florida. With $200 of limber from the Dade County School Board, the men of the community, led by George W. Lainhart, volunteered . . . — Map (db m96658) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — F-19 — Royal Poinciana Hotel
The Royal Poinciana Hotel, built by Henry M. Flagler, was opened February 11, 1894. One of the largest wooden structures in the world at the time, the hotel cost over $1 million. Its rooms accommodated 2,000 guests and its dining room seated 1,600. . . . — Map (db m96706) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — F-340 — Sea Gull CottagePalm Beach's Oldest House
Constructed in 1886 by R.R. McCormick, a Denver railroad developer, Sea Gull cottage was purchased by Henry Flagler in 1893 and became Flagler’s first winter residence in Palm Beach. The Royal Poinciana, Flagler’s first resort hotel in Palm Beach, . . . — Map (db m114828) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — Site of the Palm Beach Pier
Erected and opened to the public in 1925, the pier extended out 1,095 feet from this point. For over forty years, it was a favorite town attraction, featuring a coffee shop, cocktail lounge, restaurant, tackle shop and fishermen’s lockers. A series . . . — Map (db m96698) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach — The Royal Poinciana Chapel
This Interdenominational Chapel was the earliest church organization in Dade County (of which Palm Beach County was a part). The chapel was founded in 1884 under the auspices of the Home Missionary Society of the Congregational Church by Rev. A.B. . . . — Map (db m96701) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach Gardens — F-720 — Historic Banyan Trees
These two Banyan trees (Ficus benghalensis), with a combined limb spread encompassing one-half acre, form the entrance to the City of Palm Beach Gardens. Palm Beach Gardens was developed by insurance magnate and philanthropist John D. . . . — Map (db m97049) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach Gardens — Old Dade County Court House
About three hundred feet east of this marker, stood the Dade County Court House at Juno, the county seat from 1890 to 1900. Juno — since abandoned — was the southern terminus of the "Celestial Railroad" from Jupiter to Juno, and the . . . — Map (db m104645) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-712 — 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse
Palm Beach County (established in 1909) had its first County offices in an old school house in West Palm Beach. In 1913, the Palm Beach County Board of County Commissioners approved the construction of a new courthouse designed by Wilber Burt . . . — Map (db m96755) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-460 — Clematis Street Commercial Historic District
For over 100 years, Clematis Street (named after the Clematis flower has been the primary retail street in West Palm Beach. It was a shell-topped road in 1893, when Henry Flagler (1830-1913) began to develop West Palm Beach as the commercial . . . — Map (db m94688) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F390 — El Cid Neighborhood
In 1876, Benjamin Lanehart homesteaded land that is now the north end of El Cid. He started the first commercial pineapple operation in the area, and this fruit soon dominated the local agriculture. Soon afterward, Elizabeth Wilder Moore settled . . . — Map (db m96659) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-466 — Evergreen Cemetery
For over 85 years, Evergreen Cemetery has been the final resting place of some of the City’s most influential black citizens, as well as a cross-section of many unnoted black citizens who contributed to the development of West Palm Beach. In 1913, . . . — Map (db m96631) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-423 — Flagler Park
Flagler Park, formerly known as City Park, has been an important public space in West Palm Beach since the founding of the community. The town site for West Palm Beach was laid out in 1893 as a grid pattern of streets running north - south and . . . — Map (db m75208) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-424 — Flamingo Park
This site was originally the southeast corner of an eighty-acre parcel purchased by George L. Marsteller of Charleston, South Carolina, in 1884 for $100. Two blocks to the north, between South Dixie Highway and South Olive Avenue, the Lakeside . . . — Map (db m96695) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-442 — Flamingo Park Historic District
There are 501 contributing structures within the Flamingo Park subdivision, which was officially platted on May 17, 1921, with more than 76 building permits issued in 1923. Built on the highest of all coastal ridges between downtown West Palm Beach . . . — Map (db m96692) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — Former State of Florida Board of Health Laboratory c.1921
With the construction of the Board of Health Laboratory in 1921, Palm Beach County secured its first state building. Still considered an area of the country that was just being settled, establishing an outpost for public health was an essential . . . — Map (db m96716) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-509 — Grandview Heights Historic District
In response to the heavy influx of new residents into South Florida at the turn of the century and the introduction of the automobile, local developers and real estate agents purchased the less expensive land outside of the West Palm Beach downtown . . . — Map (db m96693) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-450 — Hurricane of 1928 Mass Burial Site
On September 16, 1928, a hurricane came ashore near the Jupiter lighthouse and traveled west across Palm Beach County to Lake Okeechobee. This deadly hurricane destroyed hundreds of buildings and left millions of dollars in property damage. Many of . . . — Map (db m114693) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-586 — Old Northwood Historic District
1884, The Reverend Elbridge Gale retired to the area later to be known as Old Northwood. He was the first to build a cabin on the west side of Lake Worth. Gale grew mango trees and one of his trees became the first grafted Mangonia to bear fruit. . . . — Map (db m84585) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — Old St. Ann's Church
Dedicated March 15, 1898, on the southeast comer of Rosemary and Datura Streets. In 1902, it was moved to this site donated by Henry Flagler and served the Catholic community until 1913, when the new church was dedicated. The old church was then . . . — Map (db m96757) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — Palm Beach High SchoolCentral Schools
In 1886, the first settlers on the Island of Palm Beach built a one room school which still stands on the island as the oldest school in southeast Florida. The students were transported by boat until the school closed in 1901 and was relocated in . . . — Map (db m96759) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-346 — Palm Beach Junior College
This Mediterranean Revival style building housed Palm Beach Junior College, Florida’s first public community college, when it was established here in 1933. The college outgrew these facilities after the Second World War and moved in 1948 to . . . — Map (db m96761) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-349 — Seaboard Air Line Station
The Seaboard Air Line Railway Station has played an important role in the history of West Palm Beach and Palm Beach County. It is a unique example of early 20th century railroad architecture in the Mediterranean Revival style. The Station opened . . . — Map (db m96762) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-975 — West Palm Beach Fishing Club
Founded in 1934, the West Palm Beach Fishing Club (WPBFC) is among the last of Florida's great angling clubs. It was pivotal in boosting Florida tourism during and after the Great Depression and promoting the appeal of sport fishing. The club’s . . . — Map (db m127264) HM

85 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.