Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sarasota, Florida Historical Markers

 
Avondale Marker Reverse image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, February 27, 2016
Avondale Marker Reverse
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Avondale
In December 1913, Oscar and Alice Burton joined real estate developer and future Sarasota mayor Arthur B. Edwards (1914-1915 and 1920-1921) and his wife Fannie in selling the land south of Hudson Bayou to the Sarasota Improvement Company. In . . . — Map (db m92861) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Bee Ridge Woman's Club
Side 1

The Bee Ridge Woman's Club has been an integral part of the growth and development of the Bee Ridge community, providing social outlet, community pride, and staunch support for many public interest projects since the early 1900s. . . . — Map (db m136014) HM

Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Bidwell-Wood House
In 1882 this "handsome residence" was under construction for Alfred and Mary Bidwell on land Mary purchased from the State of Florida for one dollar an acre. Before construction the Bidwell's apparently occupied the detached kitchen-dining room . . . — Map (db m97086) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Bispham Dairy
Jackson and Katherine Bispham started a dairy in 1922 north of Sarasota with Sarasota County Dairy Permit No. 2. Later that year Bispham moved his operation to the area of present South Tamiami Trail and Fiesta Street, named it Bayside Dairy, and . . . — Map (db m101064) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Cedar Point/Sunset Park - Cedar Point/Golden Gate Point
Cedar Point/Sunset Park Cedar Point, a hook of land on Sarasota Bay, was platted in 1899 and recorded as an addition to the Town of Sarasota in 1900. Split into north and south sections by North Gulf Stream Avenue, Cedar Point was home to . . . — Map (db m97107) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — City of Sarasota
On a bright spring morning in 1885, a surveying team from the Florida Mortgage and Investment Company cleared a ten foot area in what is today the center of Five Points. The group was led by Richard Paulson who announced: "We will lay out the . . . — Map (db m97142) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — First Municipal Airport Lowe Field
On January 12, 1929, Sarasota dedicated its first municipal airport located on 160 acres just west of Oriente Avenue, now Beneva Road, and north of Fruitville Rd. Pilots performed aerial maneuvers and stunts for the crowd, many of whom felt an . . . — Map (db m101387) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Friendship Baptist Church
The first church in Sarasota County was organized by John Hendry July 6, 1875. Charter members of the Friendship Baptist Church were E.R. and Emiline Foster, Rebecca Lowe, Mrs. L.F. Rawls, Martha Reaves, I.A. and Eleanor Redd, John Tatum, Serene . . . — Map (db m128653) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — F-499 — Harding Circle Historic District
In 1923 circus magnate John N. Ringling (1866-1936) purchased St. Armands Key, an uninhabited, 150-acre, oval shaped island. He planned a community of fine residences with a central circle park surrounded by shops. The park was named in memory of . . . — Map (db m32407) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Indian Beach
(side 1) 5,000 years ago, prehistoric Indians seasonally came to these shore, drawn by freshwater springs, bays teeming with fish and shellfish, and woods rich with game. By 1000 A.D. their middens, ceremonial mounds, and a village plaza . . . — Map (db m60327) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — John D. MacDonald 1916-1986/John D. and the Friday Liars
John D. MacDonald
1916-1986 During his years in Sarasota, John D. MacDonald became one of America's great writers. He published sixty-seven novels, five nonfiction works, more than five hundred short stories, and received numerous . . . — Map (db m97322) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Judah P. Benjamin Monument
Near this spot on June 23, 1865 Judah P. Benjamin Secretary of State for the Confederacy set sail for a foreign land — Map (db m65419) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Judah Philip Benjamin
Judah P. Benjamin, later considered "the Brains of the Confederacy," was an American lawyer and statesman. He was born on Saint Croix Island in 1811, grew up in South Carolina, and was educated at Yale College. He practiced law in New Orleans, . . . — Map (db m65418) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — F-102 — Landing of the Scots
On December 23, 1885 a number of Scottish families came ashore on or near this spot to settle land they had purchased for their homes in a new country. They met wilderness and hardship instead of the established town promised them; causing many to . . . — Map (db m97100) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain/Luke Wood Park
Side 1

Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain

Mable Ringling, born Armilda Burton on March 4, 1875, married John Ringling on 1905 and became a Sarasota winter resident in 1911. Mable, an avid gardener, created the formal Ca'd'Zan rose . . . — Map (db m121011) HM

Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Mary Wyatt Whitaker
Two hundred feet east of this highway is the tomb of Mary Wyatt Whitaker Born at Tallahassee, Florida, April 11, 1831; daughter of William Wyatt, member of the convention which gave to the state of Florida its first constitution; mother of the . . . — Map (db m97090) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Methodist Church
The village of Sarasota's earliest church was chartered in 1891 as the Sarasota Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Manatee Village circuit rider Rev. E. F. Gates brought recently ordained Rev. William B. Tresca to be founding minister. 'Will' had . . . — Map (db m97111) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Oaklands/Woodlawn Cemetery
The Florida Mortgage and Investment Company deeded five acres in 1905 to Trustees John Mays, Willis G.P. Washington, Lewis Colson, Campbell Mitchell and J.P. Carter for a "colored" cemetery. The land was platted in 1910 as Oaklands Cemetery. For . . . — Map (db m92862) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Palmer Ranch
After her visit to Sarasota in 1910, Mrs. Potter (Bertha) Palmer and family began buying thousands of acres in the region. One large segment extended from their Sarasota-Venice Company's Bee Ridge development south to Laurel. The present 10,000-acre . . . — Map (db m125021) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Railroad History
The railroad came to Venice in 1911 at the request of Mrs. Potter (Bertha) Palmer. The Seaboard Air Line (SAL) Railway extended its line from Fruitville through Bee Ridge, where the Palmer's Sarasota-Venice Company was developing land, to the . . . — Map (db m124900) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Sarasota's Bayfront
Sarasota Bay and its downtown bayfront have long been considered the brightest jewels in Sarasota’s crown. In 1910 Bertha Palmer, who helped put Sarasota on the international map, proclaimed Sarasota Bay more beautiful than the Bay of Naples. . . . — Map (db m97141) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Seaboard Railway Depot
On this site in 1903, the U.S. and West Indies Railroad and Steamship Company built a depot. This railroad, subsequently incorporated into the Seaboard Air Line Railway, provided great impetus to the town's turn-of-the-century progress. Trains . . . — Map (db m41350) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — St. Martha Mission Church
Beginning in 1889, circuit-riding Jesuit priests served the pastoral needs of Sarasota's small, but devoted Catholic community. In 1912, after years of meeting in various homes, the congregation built a small wooden mission church at Adelia and . . . — Map (db m97105) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — The Bobby Jones Legend
Side 1

Bobby Jones' name already was linked to Sarasota when he attended the dedication ceremony February 13, 1927, for Bobby Jones Municipal Course, which had opened the previous June. The course, 2-1/2 miles east of downtown, replaced one . . . — Map (db m136013) HM

Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — The Booker Schools
Side 1 Emma E. Booker, a pioneer Black educator was teaching in Sarasota's public school for Negro children in the 1910s. By 1918 she was principal of "Sarasota Grammar School" which held classes in rented halls. The Julius Rosenwald Fund helped . . . — Map (db m121010) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — The Circle at St. Armands
Decades after conception, St. Armands Circle has fulfilled John Ringling's dream of a premier shopping district. Conceived during Florida's real estate boom, St. Armands was part of the John Ringling Estates Development and the jewel of Ringling . . . — Map (db m97109) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — The Little White Church at Bee Ridge
Side 1

In 1915, Bee Ridge, then part of Manatee County, supported a train station, post office, hotel, general store, and school. A second wave of settlers who moved into Bee Ridge desired a church in their community. In January, 1917, the . . . — Map (db m135978) HM

Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — The Twin Motel and Tourism
Tourism has long been important to Sarasota's history and economy. Winter visitors began coming to the area in the 1880s with some staying in Sarasota's first hotel, The DeSoto Hotel, which was completed in 1887. Tourism increased in the 1920s as . . . — Map (db m97082) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — The Wallendas
The Wallenda circus troupe originated in Germany, where its members developed a daring highwire act. Early in their careers they achieved some fame touring with different circuses in Europe, but Karl Wallenda became convinced that circus . . . — Map (db m92848) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Whitaker Family/Gateway 2000 Executive Committee
Whitaker Family William Henry Whitaker arrived in Sarasota Bay in the early 1840s. He built a cedar log cabin at “Yellow Bluffs,” part of nearly 200 acres he would acquire along the bay between Hog Creek and today’s Indian Beach . . . — Map (db m97093) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Wilson Family and Home
(Side 1) The Wilson House is significant as an example of early Sarasota architecture and as the home and medical office of C.B. Wilson. In 1877, A.M. “Gus” Wilson settled in Miakka, then part of Manatee County. He served . . . — Map (db m136015) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Winter Quarters
Just east of this marker was the Winter Quarters of the Ringling Bros. & Barnum & Bailey Circus, a favorite winter attraction for tourists. Occupying what was previously the County Fair Grounds, the show spread over many acres with its "Big Top", . . . — Map (db m101388) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — F-103 — Yellow Bluffs
This area, so named for its outcroppings of yellow limestone, was the home of Sarasota's first inhabitants-the pre-historic and Calusa Indians. Yellow Bluffs later became the homesite of William H. Whitaker, Sarasota's first known white settler. It . . . — Map (db m41293) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement