Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Savannah, Georgia Historical Markers

292 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 92
 
"A World Apart" Marker, at right part of the divided gobe image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, September 11, 2011
"A World Apart" Marker, at right part of the divided gobe
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — "A World Apart"
World War II Memorial Honoring all veterans of Chatham County who gave their lives to retain the freedom of the United States of America and saved the world from tyranny — Map (db m53069) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — "Jingle Bells"
James L. Pierpont (1822-1893), composer of "Jingle Bells", served as music director of this church in the 1850s when it was a Unitarian Church located on Oglethorpe Square. Son of the noted Boston reformer, Rev. John Pierpont, he was the brother of . . . — Map (db m5817) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — "Tyrants Fall In Every Foe Liberty's In Every Blow"
. . . — Map (db m6265) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 105 East Oglethorpe Avenue
. . . — Map (db m5307) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 1812 Wesley Chapel
Savannah Methodism's first church building was erected on this corner of Lincoln and South Broad (now Oglethorpe) streets in 1812 by its first pastor, Rev. James Russell. Bishop Francis Asbury preached twice in Wesley Chapel on November 21, 1813. In . . . — Map (db m5447) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 1996 Olympic Yachting Cauldron
This cauldron was lit with the original Olympic flame from Olympia, Greece at the Savannah Opening Ceremony, July 20, 1996, and burned throughout the Centennial Olympic Games in Savannah, Georgia, site of the Olympic Yachting events. The five . . . — Map (db m5568) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — A Changing Landscape
How old is this forest? Prior to the early 1800's Cockspur Island was primarily a grassy salt marsh interspersed with a few, small, forested hammocks. But things were about to change. In 1829 the army began installing drainage canals and a dike . . . — Map (db m63708) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — A. Douglass Strobhar
This Chapel Is Dedicated To A. Douglass Strobhar As a mark of esteem and affection by the Board of Managers of the Savannah Port Society It is a tribute to his loyality and unfailing faithfulness since he became a member of the board . . . — Map (db m6904) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — African American Monument
We were stolen, sold and bought together from the African Continent We got on the slave ships together, we lay back to belly in the holds of the slave ships in each others excrement and urine together. Sometimes died together and our lifeless . . . — Map (db m5278) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-33 — American Grand Prize Races 1910 and 1911 Vanderbilt Cup Race, 1911
On each side of Waters Avenue at this site stood the grandstands built for the famous Savannah automobile races in 1910 and 1911. The starting and finishing line was located in front of the stands. On November 12, 1910, David Bruce-Brown won . . . — Map (db m5953) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemansonry Savannah, Georgia
The Scottish rite of freemasonry was introduced into Georgia in 1792 by the brother Abraham Jacobs. The first degrees of the rite of perfection to be communicated in Savannah were on April 17,1796, when Jacobs conferred the degrees on James Clark, . . . — Map (db m5655) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-89 — Andrew Bryan
Andrew Bryan was born at Goose Creek, S.C. about 1716. He came to Savannah as a slave and here he was baptized by the Negro missionary, the Reverend George Leile, in 1781. Leile evacuated with the British in 1782 at the close of the American . . . — Map (db m15624) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Andrew Low House
329 Abercorn Street Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1848 — Map (db m89125) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-17B — Archibald Bulloch
"This is no time to talk of moderation; in the present instance it ceases to be a virtue." Speech to Provincial Congress, JUNE ?, 1776 Foremost among Georgia's Revolutionary patriots stood Archibald Bulloch whose remains rest in this . . . — Map (db m5335) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Armstrong Junior College
Armstrong Junior College was founded on this site May 27, 1935 by the City of Savannah under the guidance of Mayor Thomas Gamble. The college was named for George Ferguson Armstrong (1868-1924), a native of Guyton, Georgia, who had this house . . . — Map (db m5472) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-10 — Attack on British Lines October 9, 1779
Over this ground, hallowed by the valor and the sacrifice of the soldiery of America and of France, was fought October 9, 1779, one of the bloodiest battles of the Revolution when Savannah, which the British had possessed for several months, was . . . — Map (db m5448) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Augusta Road
Northwest of this spot, on Liberty and West Broad Streets began the Augusta road, one of the oldest in Georgia. — Map (db m6818) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Barnard House
This federal style house was constructed in the late Eighteenth Century as the residence of William Barnard, nephew of Sir John Barnard who, while serving in the British Parliament distinguished himself as a patron of the Georgia Colony The . . . — Map (db m9166) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Battle of Savannah
En l'honneur des valliants Franais qui se sont sacrifis en cet endroit pour notre libert le 9 Octobre, 1779 In honor of the valiant Frenchmen who gave their lives on this battlefield for our freedom on 9 October, 1779 Les . . . — Map (db m18455) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-34 — Beach Institute
The Beach Institute began in 1867 as the first school in Savannah erected specifically for the education of African Americans. It was named for Alfred Ely Beach, benefactor and editor of Scientific American . Following the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m15681) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Beaulieu Plantation
Granted 1739 to William Stephens Secretary Colony Of Georgia 1737 - 1740 President 1743 - 1751 Here in 1779 under Count D'Estaing the French landed to join the Americans under General Lincoln in the seige Of Savannah . . . — Map (db m9149) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Big Duke Fire Alarm Bell Memorial
( Front) Chatham County Firefighters Memorial Last Alarm Firefighters who have died in the line of duty John Butler Fireman 1865 SFD Charles Schreck Fireman 1871 SFD George Puder Fireman 1873 SFD William L. Harroid Hoseman . . . — Map (db m5641) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-86 — Birthplace of Eighth Air Force
On 28 January 1942, the Eighth Air Force, was activated in the adjacent building, a National Guard Armory at the time. Having moved to England, the Eighth was ready on 17 August to test the theory that daylight bombing raids could be made with . . . — Map (db m4396) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Birthplace of Girl Scouting
. . . — Map (db m8297) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-42 — Birthplace of John C. Frmont
One of two native Georgians who served as generals in the U.S. Army during the Civil War, John C. Frmont was born nearby on January 21, 1813. As an army officer, his 1840s explorations of the American West gained him fame as the . . . — Map (db m62765) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low
(Top): Birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low Founder of Girl Scouts In The United States Owned and Operated By The Girl Scouts Of The U.S.A. (Bottom): The Juliette Gordon Low birthplace Has Been Designated A . . . — Map (db m5582) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-34 — Birthplace of Juliette Low (1860-1927) Founder of the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.
In the house that stands opposite this marker, Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America, was born, October 31, 1860. It was her girlhood home until her marriage there in 1886 to William Low, an Englishman, then . . . — Map (db m5581) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-46 — Birthplace of the University Of Georgia Meeting Place of Legislature in 1785
Directly across Bay Street from this marker formerly stood the brick building. Built in late colonial days and known as the “Coffee House.” In which the Legislature of Georgia met in 1785. Owned by Thomas Stone, it was described in a . . . — Map (db m6668) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Blacksmith Shop
The Blacksmith Shop had 13 forges. The railroad complex needed blacksmiths to forge iron locomotive and rolling stock parts, hinges and other hardware for buildings and also tools and equipment. Some of the forged parts were sent to the Machine . . . — Map (db m70283) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Boiler Room
The Boiler Room supplied power for the entire complex. The ornate design of this building symbolizes the importance of its function to the site. The Boiler Room was the heart of the site, pumping steam power and heat throughout the complex. . . . — Map (db m70284) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Brick Pillar
This brick pillar represents the remnants of the former Bethesda Arch that was erected in 1940 as part of Bethesdas 200th anniversary celebration. The original arch, designed by Hugh Tallant and funded in part by the Trustees Garden Club, was . . . — Map (db m55165) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — British Evacuation
Commemorative of the British Evacuation Of Savannah 1782 Presented to the City of Savannah By the Lachlan McIntosh Chapter Daughters Of The American Revolution 1904 — Map (db m10356) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Button Gwinnett
This Memorial to Button Gwinnett Born 1735 Died 1777 Georgia Signer of The Declaration of Independence President of Georgia Whose remains, buried in this cemetery, are believed to lie entombed hereunder. Was erected by the . . . — Map (db m5424) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-3 — Candler Hospital
Georgia's first hospital, Candler is the second oldest continuously operating hospital in the United States. Its history began in the 1730s when Methodist missionary George Whitfield brought medicines to treat sick seamen and the poor. . . . — Map (db m15928) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-55 — Capt. Denis N. Cottineau (1745-1808)
This grave links Savannah with one of history's greatest naval dramas - the epic fight in 1779 between the "Bon Homme Richard" and "Serapis" in which John Paul Jones immortalized himself. Denis Nicolas Cottineau de Kerloguen received a commission . . . — Map (db m5339) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Captain Charles Floyd 1747 - 1820
Captain Floyd was a member 1775-1777 of the South Carolina First Council of Safety which raised a militia company, the "St. Helena Guards" affiliated with the "Liberty Boys" whose motto was "Liberty or Death." In 1781 he served with . . . — Map (db m64310) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Captain Denis Cottineau De Kerloguen
In Honor and Grateful Memory of Captain Denis Cottineau De Kerloguen who was born in Nantes, France and died in Savannah Ga., November 20, 1808, aged 63 Years. In the war for American Independence he fought with John Paul Jones in the famous . . . — Map (db m6452) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-8 — Capture of Savannah December 29, 1778
When the British attacked Savannah on December 29, 1778, the defending Continental forces, numbering about 650 men under command of Maj. Gen. Robert Howe, were posted across Sea Island Road (now Wheaton street) approximately 100 yards east of this . . . — Map (db m6580) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-51 — Capture of the USS "Water Witch"
In May, 1864, the USS "Water Witch" (80 officers and men and 4 guns), Lt. Comdr. Austin Pendergrast, USN, was on patrol duty in Ossabaw Sound. On the 31st, Flag Officer Wm. W. Hunter, CSN, assigned Lt. Thos. P. Pelot, CSN, to command a boat . . . — Map (db m5945) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-25 — Casimir Pulaski
The great Polish patriot to whose memory this monument is erected was mortally wounded approximately one-half mile northwest of this spot during the assault by the French and American forces on the British lines around Savannah, October 9, 1779. . . . — Map (db m5483) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-28 — Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
The congregation of St. John the Baptist formed in the late eighteenth century when French migrs fleeing revolutions in France and Haiti found refuge in Savannah. The Church of St. John the Baptist became a cathedral in 1850 when the Diocese of . . . — Map (db m6021) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Central of Georgia Depot and Train Shed
. . . — Map (db m11603) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Central of Georgia
Welcome to the Central of Georgia railroad repair shops of Savannah You are entering the heart of the Central of Georgia railroad complex in Savannah. This " miniature city " produced much of what was needed for the construction and repair . . . — Map (db m18459) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Central Of Georgia Railroad Shops & Terminal
. . . — Map (db m18392) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Central Railroad & Bank Bldg.
Georgia Historical Society records show that this building, built in 1853 for the Central Railroad & Bank was confiscated by Gen. Wm. T. Sherman's Union Army Forces as the military hdqrs. of the Post Commandant, Gen. J.W. Geary during the . . . — Map (db m6477) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-14 — Charity Hospital and Training School for Nurses
This was the site of the first hospital in Savannah to train African-American doctors and nurses. Named for Doctors Cornelius and Alice McKane, it began on June 1, 1896, when a small group of African Americans received a charter to operate the . . . — Map (db m11703) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Charles Pidcock 1756 - 1836
. . . — Map (db m64599) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-54 — Chatham Artillery's "Washington Guns"
These cannon, which were captured when Lord Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown in the American Revolution, were a gift to the Chatham Artillery by President George Washington - a mark of his appreciation for the part the local military company . . . — Map (db m5517) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-53 — Chatham Artillery's "Washington Guns"
These bronze cannon were presented to the Chatham Artillery by President Washington after his visit to Savannah in 1791. Of English and French make, respectively, they are excellent examples of the art of ordnance manufacture in the 18th century. . . . — Map (db m5519) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-5 — Christ Church The Mother Church of Georgia
This Episcopal Church was the first house of worship established with the founding of Georgia in 1733. Early rectors included the Rev. John Wesley (1736-37), who began the earliest form of Sunday school and published the first English hymnal in . . . — Map (db m5304) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Christ Church
I.H.S. Christ Church Founded A.D. 1733. Chartered 1789. Destroyed by Fire 1796. Rebuilt & enlarged 1803. Injured by a hurricane 1804. Constructed anew 1810. Taken down, and This Edifice Erected 1838. Partially . . . — Map (db m13665) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Christ Church Parish House
(upper marker): Christ Church Parish House (lower marker): The hand wrought weather vane atop this building is from the 12th century church of Cranham, Essex, England where Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe is . . . — Map (db m6115) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 7 — Christmas in Savannah 1864
For, Savannah, Christmas 1864 was anything but a time for merriment. Almost four years of war had taken the lives of thousands of Georgians, destroyed millions of dollars in property and left the state in chaos. As the holiday approached, so did . . . — Map (db m19422) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — City Plan of Savannah
National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark City Plan of Savannah Presented 1978 — Map (db m67944) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-32 — Col. James S. McIntosh (1784-1847)
James S. McIntosh achieved an immortal record of gallantry in the War of 1812 and in the War with Mexico. In 1814 he saw considerable action on the Canadian border, he was severely wounded at Buffalo. In the Mexican War, Col. McIntosh was . . . — Map (db m81621) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Col. John Jones
1759-1852 Colonel Jones was a North Carolina Partisan Ranger in the Continental Army. Jones was wounded at Pacolett River, NC on July 14, 1780. — Map (db m6517) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Col. John White
A former British Naval surgeon who settled in America, he commanded the 4th Georgia Continental Battalion which marched from New York to Georgia. Called the "Hero of the Ogeechee," he and only six men captured a force of 152 British . . . — Map (db m64377) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Colonel Mordecai Sheftall
1735 - 1797 As Deputy Commissary General of Issues for Georgia and South Carolina, Colonel Sheftall was the highest ranking Jewish officer in the Revolutionary War. Captured by the British in the Battle of Savannah, Dec. 29, 1778, Sheftall . . . — Map (db m6571) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Colonial Dames House 1928 (The Andrew Low House)
Georgia Society of the Colonial Dames of America This house was built by Andrew Low about 1848 Among the distinguished guests who visited here were William Makepeace Thackeray in 1853 and 1856 General Robert E. Lee in 1870 Home of . . . — Map (db m13550) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-20 — Colonial Park
This cemetery, the second in colonial Savannah, was the burying ground for the city from about 1750 until it was closed against burials in 1853. Among the distinguished dead who rest here are Archibald Bulloch, first President of Georgia; James . . . — Map (db m5313) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-75 — Colonial Town Gate Davenport House
In 1757, during the administration of royal Governor Henry Ellis, a line of earthwork defenses, including a palisade, was erected around Savannah. Immediately west of this marker was located Bethesda Gate, one of the six entrances into the town. . . . — Map (db m5356) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Colored Shopmen's Locker & Lavatory
The railroad provided separate washroom facilities for whites and African-Americans. Facilities and opportunities were quite different for black and white people historically in the segregated South. Jim Crow laws required “separate but . . . — Map (db m70293) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-40 — Comer House Jefferson Davis
Jefferson Davis, former President of the Confederate States of America, was a guest in 1886 in the house on the northeast corner of Bull and Taylor Streets. The residence (built about 1880) was at that time the home of Hugh M. Comer, President of . . . — Map (db m5983) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 5 — Confederate Savannah
The election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860 brought years of festering political differences between Southern and Northern states to a head. In mid-January 1861 Georgia delegates voted to secede from the Union. The April 1861 bombardment and surrender . . . — Map (db m19676) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-77 — Congregation Mickve Israel (Founded 1733)
The oldest Congregation now practicing Reform Judism in the United States. Mickve Israel was founded by a group of Jews, mainly of Spanish-Portuguese extraction, which landed at Savannah, July 11, 1733, five months after the establishment of the . . . — Map (db m5298) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Conrad Aiken
Conrad Aiken, Poet and Man of Letters, was born in Savannah on August 5, 1889, and lived at No. 228 (opposite) until 1901. After the tragic deaths of his parents, he was moved to New England. Most of his writing career was divided between Cape Cod, . . . — Map (db m5310) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Construction of Fort Jackson
(Panel one) In the early years of the 19th century, the United States was a fledgling nation with a population of 7,700,000, a standing army of 6,700, and a navy of only 12 ships. The Americans were vastly outnumbered by the major . . . — Map (db m25014) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 11 — Crossing the Savannah
Although the Savannah River provided an avenue to the sea, it also presented a barrier to overland travel and transportation. Rochester Ferry, later named Screven's Ferry, was established in 1762 and connected Savannah with a roadway in South . . . — Map (db m19450) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — De Lyon - De La Motta Cemetery
Family Burial Ground of Levi Sheftall commonly known as the De Lyon - De La Motta Cemetery Dedicated 1773 used about 80 years — Map (db m13322) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Dr. Noble W. Jones 1723 -1805
He was a physician and planter who also served as Speaker of the Georgia Assembly during the Royal and Revolutionary Period. Imprisoned by the British, he later held a seat in the Continental Congress and Ga's Constitutional . . . — Map (db m64444) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-31 — Dr. Wm. A. Caruthers (1802-46) Early American Novelist
One block west of this marker -- at the northwest corner of Hull and Whitaker Streets -- stood, formerly, the residence of William Alexander Caruthers, Virginia's earliest significant novelist. He resided in Savannah for several years before his . . . — Map (db m5920) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Drop Table
The Drop Table is located in the Roundhouse. It is a device that enabled mechanics to remove the axles and wheels of a locomotive easily. This allowed repairs to the wheel assembly and to otherwise inaccessible parts of the locomotive. The Drop . . . — Map (db m70290) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-22 — Duellist's Grave
The epitaph to James Wilde on the nearby tomb is a melancholy reminder of the days of duelling and, particularly, of a tragic affair of honor fought January 16, 1815, on the Carolina side of the river near Savannah. Lieutenant Wilde was shot through . . . — Map (db m5376) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-21 — Edward Greene Malbone (1777-1807)
Beneath this modest slab rest the remains of America's foremost painter of miniatures. Malbone, a native of Rhode Island, began his career in Providence at the age of seventeen. He pursued his calling in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Charleston . . . — Map (db m5369) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-52 — Evacuation of Savannah
On Dec. 14, 1864, Fort McAllister (CS) having fallen the day before, opening the Great Ogeechee River to Union shipping and rendering Savannah untenable, Lt. Gen. W. J. Hardee, CSA, decided to evacuate the city to save it from a destructive . . . — Map (db m5574) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 74000663 — Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places June 7, 1974 Federal Building U.S. Courthouse Wright Square Postal Station Savannah, Georgia Jeremiah O'Rourke Architect 1899 This Property Significantly Contributes . . . — Map (db m19824) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-11 — First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church, Savannahs oldest standing house of worship, was designed by Elias Carter and completed in 1833. The congregation dates to 1800. In 1922 the front of the building was extended, and cupola removed, and the edifice covered with . . . — Map (db m13608) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — First Baptist Church 1800 Sesquicentennial 1950 Savannah, Georgia
On November 26, 1800 the Reverend Henry Holcombe and fifteen other Baptists organized the Savannah Baptist Church. As early as 1795 a group of interested Baptists had erected a house of worship on Franklin Square where the congregation . . . — Map (db m13663) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 027-87 — First Girl Scout Headquarters in America
The house adjacent to this building was the home of Juliette Gordon Low at the time she founded Girl Scouting in the United States, March 12, 1912. Formerly the carriage-house and stable of the Low mansion, this building became that year the first . . . — Map (db m5583) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — First Synagogue in Georgia
. . . — Map (db m41485) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Flame of Freedom / Relighting the Flame
(Right Marker): Flame of Freedom 1919 - 1969 Dedicated to the Glory of God A fitting reminder of this precious heritage, a tribute to all who offered their lives to preserve it. A gift to our Community by the American . . . — Map (db m7311) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-101 — Flannery O'Connor Childhood Home
Mary Flannery O'Connor, novelist and short story writer,was born in Savannah March 25, 1925. She grew up in this house and in later years she referred to it simply as "the house I was raised in." She lived here until 1938, attending church at the . . . — Map (db m9490) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-15 — Florance Street School
Florance Street School was designed by the firm Levy and Clarke and built in 1929 as one of the early public schools in Savannah built specifically for African-American students. It contributed greatly to Savannahs Cuyler-Brownville community by . . . — Map (db m12088) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-19 — Former Home of Henry R. Jackson Union Army Headquarters, 1865
This building, now the quarters of a private Club, was erected in 1857 for Edmund Molyneux, British consul at Savannah, and served as his residence and as the Consulate until Molyneux's return to England in 1863. In 1865 the Molyneux house was . . . — Map (db m5625) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-10 — Forsyth Park
In the 1840s, William Brown Hodgson (1801-1871) conceived the idea of setting aside ten acres of wooded land at this site for development of Savannah's first recreational park. It was named for former Georgia Governor John Forsyth (1780-1841). . . . — Map (db m6092) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Francis Bartow
Francis S. Bartow Colonel 8th, Regt. Georgia Volunteers Confederate States Army Born Savannah Ga. September 6th, 1816. Fell at Manassas July 21 st, 1861. — Map (db m11363) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Garrison of Fort Jackson
Starting in the Summer of 1812, Fort Jackson was garrisoned by various units of the United States Army and Georgia Militia. These troops included the 8th U.S. Infantry, 4th U.S. Artillery, and the Chatham Artillery. — Map (db m24999) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Gen. James Jackson Home Site
Site of the Home Presented By The State Of Georgia — To — Major General James Jackson Born 1757 - Died 1806 Revolutionary Hero, Statesman, And Governor Of Georgia Placed By The Savannah Chapter Of The Daughters Of . . . — Map (db m15082) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Gen. Oglethorpe's Landing
( Compass Emblem ) On February 12, 1733 Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe Landed On This Spot — Map (db m19894) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-29 — Gen. Samuel Elbert (1740-1788)
Samuel Elbert, who became brigadier general in the Continental Army and governor of Georgia, migrated to this province from South Carolina as an orphan youth during the Colonial period. He prospered in mercantile pursuits and as an Indian trader; . . . — Map (db m5340) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-7 — General Casimir Pulaski Sergeant William Jasper
Near this spot two notable heroes of the American Revolution were mortally wounded in the ill-fated assault by the American and French forces upon the British lines here on October 9, 1779. Brig. Gen. Casimir Pulaski, the famous Polish patriot, . . . — Map (db m6698) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-30 — General Lachlan McIntosh (1727-1806)
Lachlan McIntosh, Georgia's ranking Continental officer in the American Revolution, was the son of John Mor Mackintosh who settled with a group of Highlanders on the Altamaha in 1736. Lachlan served as a cadet in Oglethorpes Regiment and received . . . — Map (db m5400) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — George Clymer 1739 - 1813
An orphan, he apprenticed in his uncle's mercantile firm. As a successful businessman he was an early and forceful advocate of independence. He used his knowledge and wealth to help finance the Revolution. From 1774 until 1776 he . . . — Map (db m63908) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — George Washington
During his visit to Savannah May 12-15 1791 was a guest at the Inn which stood on the northwest corner of Barnard and State Streets. This tablet is placed in commemoration of the bi-centenary of his birth by the Daughters of the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m67335) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-13 — Georgia Historical Society
Founded 1839 The Georgia Historical Society, founded May 24, 1839, is one of the oldest historical societies in the country. Among it founders were L.K. Tefft, the noted autograph collector; William Bacon Stevens, historian, physician and . . . — Map (db m6139) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-9 — Georgia Infirmary First African-American Hospital in the United States
Chartered by the Georgia General Assembly in 1832, the Infirmary was established "for the relief and protection of afflicted and aged Africans" under the provisions of the last will and testament of Savannah merchant and minister Thomas F. . . . — Map (db m6407) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — German Memorial Fountain
This Fountain Commemorates The Religious, Social, Agricultural, Economic, And Political Contributions Of Early German Immigrants To The Establishment And Growth Of The Colony Of Georgia. erected And Dedicated in 1989 By Their . . . — Map (db m5474) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Great Indian Warrior / Trading Path
(The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road) The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from The Great Lakes to Georgia. Laid on animal trails and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. treaties among the . . . — Map (db m5648) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Great Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1820
In this cemetery many victims of the Great Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1820 were buried. Nearly 700 Savannahians died that year, including two local physicians who lost their lives caring for the stricken. Several epidemics followed. In . . . — Map (db m5330) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Haitian Monument
(West face) In its fourth year, the American Revolution had become an international conflict. Rebelling American Colonies and their French allies attempted to capture Savannah from the British in 1779. Haitian soldiers of African . . . — Map (db m22345) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-36 — Haven Home Industrial Training School
Named for respected Methodist Bishop Gilbert Haven of Massachusetts, Haven Home School was established in 1885 with the support of the Womens Home Missionary Society, to provide local African-American girls with a quality education. In 1917, after . . . — Map (db m34670) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-37 — History Of Emancipation: Special Field Orders No. 15
On January 12, 1865, U.S. Secretary of War Edwin Stanton and General Wm. T. Sherman met here at the home of Charles Green with 20 leaders from Savannahs African-American churches, including Garrison Frazier, Ulysses L. Houston, and William . . . — Map (db m40696) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Home Of Genl Lachlan MacIntosh 1782-1806
First Constitutional Session of the Georgia Legislature held in the "Long Room" Jany 1783 Headquarters Genl George Washington May 1791 — Map (db m6470) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Houstoun Street/York Street
Houstoun Street Named in honor of John Houstoun Governor of Georgia, 1778 First Mayor of Savannah. 1790 York Street Laid out in 1733 Named in honor of Duke Of York — Map (db m16799) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-24 — Hugh McCall (1767-1823) Early Georgian Historian
Hugh McCall who is buried here was the author of the first history of Georgia. Forced by ill health into retirement, McCall, who was a Brevet Major, U.S. Infantry, became interested in the history of his adopted State. In spite of severe . . . — Map (db m5372) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-35 — Independent Presbyterian Church
The Independent Presbyterian Church was organized in 1755. The first meeting house stood facing Market Square in Savannah, between what are now St. Julian and Bryan Streets, on property granted by King George II for the use and benefit of those . . . — Map (db m5515) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Independent Presbyterian Church Savannah, Georgia
Minister ~ Terry L. Johnson Founded 1755 Present Sanctuary Erected 1891 For more than 200 years holding aloft the torch of truth — Map (db m9177) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 10 — Ironclads and Gunboats of the Savannah River Squadron
During the Civil War, the Savannah River Squadron protected the City of Savannah from Union attack by river. The squadron usually consisted of small coastal and river steamers. In November 1861, the British-built blockade-runner Fingal . . . — Map (db m19773) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Isidore De Lynch
1755 - 1841 Born in London, Isidore was educated in France. As a young volunteer he fought in India, returning to France in 1771. In the Battle of Savannah he carried orders, exposing himself to the deadly crossfire in front . . . — Map (db m63722) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Italians in Georgia's Genesis
When James Oglethorpe left England to begin the new colony of Georgia, in 1732, one of the passengers was Paul Amatis, an Italian artisan, skilled in producing silk. He was later placed in charge of Trustees Garden. Later, more Italian familes came . . . — Map (db m9390) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-45 — James Edward Oglethorpe (1696-1785)
The monument in this Square to James Edward Oglethorpe - the great soldier-philanthropist who founded the colony of Georgia - was erected by the State of Georgia, the City of Savannah and various Patriotic Societies. Impressive ceremonies marked its . . . — Map (db m5308) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-15 — James Habersham
Here rests James Habersham -- associate of George Whitefield and a leading merchant, planter, and public servant during Georgia's colonial era. Mr. Habersham came to the colony in 1738 as a youthful follower of the Rev. Whitefield and collaborated . . . — Map (db m5357) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-37 — James Johnston Georgia's First Newspaper Publisher & Printer
Here repose the remains of James Johnston (1738-1808) - - editor of Georgia's first newspaper. A native of Scotland, Johnston settled at Savannah in 1761. "Recommended as a person regularly bred and well skilled in the Art and mystery of . . . — Map (db m5388) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-6 — James Moore Wayne, 1790-1867 For 32 Years Associate Of The U.S. Supreme Court
The residence opposite this site, known as the Gordon House, was built between 1819-1821. A fine example of Regency architecture, it was designed by the eminent architect, William Jay. The third story and side porch were later added. The house . . . — Map (db m5575) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Jane Cuyler
Jane Cuyler (born Jeanne de la Touche) came to Savannah with her husband Teleman in 1768. After his death in 1772, Cuyler took in lodgers, first at her home on the corner of Bull and Broughton Streets, then at an undetermined location on Bay . . . — Map (db m6159) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Jasper Spring
At this spring close by the entrenchments of the British who held Savannah Sargent William Jasper and Sargent John Newton in 1779, effected their heroic rescue of a number of American Patriots who were being taken to . . . — Map (db m9274) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-48 — Jasper Spring
On this spot, according to long and persistent tradition, occurred one of Sergeant William Jasper's most famous exploits during the American Revolution. Here, in 1779, at the spring then located along the road to Augusta. Sergeant Jasper and . . . — Map (db m9300) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Jewish Colonists
Near this site on July 11, 1733, five months after Oglethorpe founded Georgia, 42 Jewish colonists, having sailed from London, disembarked from the William and Sarah. It was the largest group of Jews ever to sail on one vessel from . . . — Map (db m26707) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-15 — Joel Chandler Harris in Savannah 1870-1876
Joel Chandler Harris (1845-1908), New South journalist and author of Uncle Remus tales, Free Joe, and many other works, was associate editor of the Savannah Morning News from 1870 until 1876, under William Tappan Thompson, an . . . — Map (db m25357) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Joel Lane 1740 - 1795
A well-born NC planter, Lane was a sheriff, assemblyman and Lt. Col. in the militia. He held public offices during and after the war including State Senator and Constitutional Commission member. — Map (db m64778) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John B. Hohenstein, Sr.
Dedicated in memory of John B. Hohenstein, Sr. Partner of Hohenstein Shipping Company, Secretary and Treasurer of Savannah Pilotage Commission, who prominently served the maritime industry of Savannah from 1919 until his death, April 20, . . . — Map (db m16770) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John Herndon “Johnny” Mercer (1909-1976)
Savannah native, Johnny Mercer, was a lyricist, composer,performer, collaborator, businessman, philanthropist, and mentor. He penned nearly 1,400 songs, with the most famous being “Moon River.” He was the co-founder of Capitol . . . — Map (db m73471) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John Herndon Mercer 1909 - 1976 Savannah's Native Son
( Caricature ) Johnny Mercer Lyricist Songwriter Co-founder of Capitol Records Winner of 4 Academy Awards Front Rim reads; Ac-cent-tchu-ates The Positive - Autumn Leaves - Blues In The Night - Charade - Jeepers Creepers - . . . — Map (db m13683) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John Ryan's Excelsior Bottle Works
On this site in 1852 stood the Excelsior Bottle Works operated by John Ryan for the manufacture of soda water and other carbonated beverages. Ryan's soda, in colorful bottles embossed with his name and location, was known throughout Georgia. His . . . — Map (db m14495) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John Wesley
. . . — Map (db m5936) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John Wesley
On this spot, where stood the first public building erected in Georgia, John Wesley preached his first sermon on American soil. March 7, 1736 (OS) Text- 1 Corinthians XIII — — This tablet commemorates the Bi-Centenary . . . — Map (db m14128) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — John Wesley
(South Face) Founder of Methodism Minister Of The Church of England In Savannah 1736-1737 (East Face) My hearts desire for this place is not that it be a famous or rich but that it may be a religous colony . . . — Map (db m15622) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-88 — John Wesley, 1703- 1791
Founder of Methodism On the "trust lot" south of President Street and immediately west of this square stood in 1736- 37 the parsonage in which John Wesley resided. In the adjoining garden he read, prayed and meditated. Weekly meetings of . . . — Map (db m5275) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-26 — Johnny Mercer 1909 - 1976
World-renowned songwriter John Herndon Mercer was born in Savannah and spent much of his youth in this house at 226 East Gwinnett Street. His lyrics reflected the sounds of Southern conversation, influenced by the African-American music and the . . . — Map (db m8702) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-38A — Johnson Square
Johnson Square is named for Governor Robert Johnson of South Carolina who befriended the colonists when Georgia was first settled. It was laid out by Oglethorpe and by Colonel William Bull in 1733, and was the first of Savannah's squares. In early . . . — Map (db m5494) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Johnson Square
. . . — Map (db m5497) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-38 — Jonathan Bryan (1708 – 1788)
Born in Pocotaligo, SC, Jonathan Bryan accompanied James Oglethorpe on his initial visit to Yamacraw Bluff in 1733. One of Georgias largest landholders, Bryan was a supporter of evangelist George Whitefield and encouraged religious services for his . . . — Map (db m41816) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Joseph Brandt 1743 - 1807
He was an educated, christian, frontier-raised farmer, diplomat, soldier, leader, related to barons and generals. He received his Masonic Orders from George III. His skillful attacks on the frontier made him one of the most known . . . — Map (db m64598) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-50 — Joseph Clay, Patriot
A native of Yorkshire, Joseph Clay (1741-1804) settled at Savannah at the age of nineteen. His uncle, James Habersham, declared that his "industry" was "highly commendable" and "his Abilities for Trade unquestionable." Fulfilling his early promise, . . . — Map (db m5364) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-14 — Joseph Habersham (1751-1815) John Habersham (1754-1799) James Habersham, Jr. (1745-1799)
The three Habersham brothers - who here rest beside their distinguished father, James Habersham - were prominent patriots in the American Revolution and outstanding public men during the early years of the republic. JOSEPH . . . — Map (db m5361) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-85 — Joseph Vallence Bevan (1798-1830)
Georgia's First Official Historian There was "None, No None!" reads the epitaph on this tomb. "Against Whose Name the Recording Angel Would More Reluctantly Have Written Down Condemnation." Born at Dublin, Ireland.son of a Georgia . . . — Map (db m5551) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Juliette Low
Founder in the United States of the Girl Scouts ---- 1912 "She gave the lead — she is not dead if we but keep alive the spirit that was hers — Robert Baden PowellMap (db m8305) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 15 — King Cotton
Georgia colonists were quick to experiment with plants that could be cultivated to supply income. While growing mulberry to produce silk, grapes to produce wine and indigo to produce dye were marginally sucessful, those early . . . — Map (db m19369) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-43 — King's Bridge
Dec. 1864. After a 300 mile march which had left a wide belt of destruction from "Atlanta to the Sea," Gen. Sherman's army (USA) of about 60,000 men was nearing Savannah. During he first weeks of his campaign, his four widely-spread columns had . . . — Map (db m9115) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Lafayette McLaws
Lafayette McLaws Major General Confederate States Army Born Augusta Ga. January 15th, 1821. Died Savannah Ga. July 24th 1897. — Map (db m68701) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-1 — Landing of Oglethorpe and the Colonists
James Edward Oglethorpe, the founder of Georgia, landed with the original colonists, about 114 in number, at the foot of this bluff on February 1 (February 12, new style), 1733. The site where he pitched his tent is marked by the stone bench located . . . — Map (db m5263) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-29 — Largest Slave Sale in Georgia History The Weeping Time
One of the largest sales of enslaved persons in U.S. history took place on March 2-3, 1859, at the Ten Broeck Race Course mile southwest of here. To satisfy his creditors, Pierce M. Butler sold 436 men, women, and children from his Butler Island . . . — Map (db m15838) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Laurel Grove South Cemetery
In 1853, the city reserved 4 acres in the new Laurel Grove Cemetery for Savannahs African American community. This new burial ground replaced an older black cemetery located near Whitefield Square. Pastors Andrew Bryan (First Colored Baptist . . . — Map (db m8498) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-6 — Lawton Memorial St. Pauls Greek Orthodox Church
This building was constructed in 1897-98 as a memorial to General Alexander R. Lawton (1818-96)and his daughter, Corinne (1844-77). It was used as a public space for cultural, educational and civic purposes until the 1930s. After serving in the . . . — Map (db m6002) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-36 — Lowell Mason 1792- 1872
Lowell Mason, noted composer of sacred music, was organist of the Independent Presbyterian Church (1820- 1827), and Superintendent of its Sunday School (1815- 1827). A native of New England, Mason moved to Savannah at the age of twenty. He resided . . . — Map (db m5635) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Lt Joseph Lawton 1753 -1815
Served as a Lieutenant in Colonel Bull's Granville County, SC Regiment. Lt. Lawton was a Justice Of The Peace in St. Peter's Parish. He owned land in St. Peter's Parish, St. Helena Parish, and Granville County, SC — Map (db m6502) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Lt. Ambrose Gordon
A New Jersey man, Gordon joined the Continental Cavalry serving in the hard fought southern campaign under Capt. William Washington. He was wounded in the ferocious Battle of Eureka Springs. At war's end he settled in Georgia. His . . . — Map (db m64496) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Lt. Col John Harris Cruger
Born to wealth and power, he was forced to hide in the swamps of Long Island until British forces landed. He led the 1st Battalion of Delancey's Loyalists and fought in both battles of Savannah and many other engage- ments. At war's . . . — Map (db m64440) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Lucas Theatre
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Circa 1921 — Map (db m6183) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-76 — Lutheran Church Of The Ascension (Founded, 1741)
On April 14, 1741, John Martin Bolzius, who as Pastor of the Salzburgers at Ebenezer was in charge of Lutheran work in the colony of Georgia, founded the congregation now known as the Lutheran Church of the Ascension. In 1756 members of the . . . — Map (db m6601) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Machine Shop
The courtyard in front of you is actually the remains of the Machine Shop. Note its walls and foundations that supported various machines. Can you find the “ghost” outline on the wall inside the doorway marking where the stairs once . . . — Map (db m70279) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-71 — Madison Square
Madison Square was laid out in 1839 and is named for the fourth President of the United States. Around the Square stand notable examples of Greek Revival, Gothic, and Romanesque architecture characteristic of nineteenth century Savannah. To the . . . — Map (db m6377) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Madison Square, British Southern Line of Defenses
Through this square ran the southern line of defenses of the British who held Savannah from December 29, 1778 to July 11, 1782. After a siege of 22 days, at dawn of October 9, 1779, the strong western defenses on the line of the present West Broad . . . — Map (db m71986) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Major General Anthony Wayne 1745 - 1796
Wayne was the commander of Continental troops in many battles of the war including Brandywine, Paoli, Monmouth, Germantown and the daring night attack at Stony Point. After Yorktown he served on the Ga frontier and became the U.S. . . . — Map (db m64359) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Major General Israel Putnam 1718 - 1790
A Connecticut Farmer turned soldier in the French and Indian War, his service included Roger's Rangers, Indian captivity, shipwreck and Pontiac's War. A staunch "Liberty Boy," he was to lead men on many Revolutionary battlefields, . . . — Map (db m64222) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-49 — Major John Berrien (1759-1815)
In 1775 John Berrien of New Jersey came to the province of Georgia, where one of his mother's kin had previously settled. His father, John Berrien (1711-1772), was a judge of the supreme court of New Jersey and a trustee of Princeton College. From . . . — Map (db m5341) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Marist Place
Site of Marist School for Boys 1919 - 1939 —— Grammer School Operated by Marist Brothers of the Schools —— Last Graduating Class June 9, 1939 Rev. Bro. Eugene Bergeron, F.M.S. Teacher Rev. Bro, . . . — Map (db m18424) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Massie Common School House Savannah's Cradle Of Public Education
Massie School is the only remaining building of Georgia's oldest chartered school system. Constructed in 1855-56 and opened for classes on October 15, 1856, the Greek Revival building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Peter . . . — Map (db m5503) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-23 — McKelvey-Powell Building
The McKelvey-Powell Building was originally constructed in 1926. The building was a hub of African-American business and social life in Savannah during the era of segregation in the first half of the twentieth century. Throughout the 1930s the . . . — Map (db m11751) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Memorial To The American Revolution Battlefield Memorial Park
To Arms ! The 800 stones before you have three meanings: They represent the approximate number of soldiers killed or wounded in Savannah on the foggy morning of October 9, 1779. The stones are arranged as a . . . — Map (db m17362) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-103 — Mercer Auto Camp
In 1910 and 1911 the Mercer Automobile Company of Trenton, New Jersey made entries in the Great Savannah races. Washington Roebling II , the only company owner who drove in the races, and driver Hughie Hughes led teams in several light car and grand . . . — Map (db m5976) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Michael Dennison 1743 - 1840
From New York, Michael joined Delancey's Loyalist Regiment in 1776. After two years of campaigning in the north he participated in the capture of Savannah, the Sieges of Savannah and Ninety Six, and Battles of Eutaw Springs and . . . — Map (db m64013) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Mills Murphree 1756-1815
Reared in Burke County, Georgia. Mills, like his Dublin-born father John, fought for independence. John served in Collier's Regt. of N.C. Militia and Mills served in his local militia company. After the bitter hostilities of the . . . — Map (db m64127) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Moravian Colonists In Savannah
. . . — Map (db m5699) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-104 — Mother Mathilda Beasley, O.S.F. Georgia's First Black Nun
Mathilda Taylor was born in 1834 in New Orleans, and came to Savannah as a young woman. She taught black children in her home before the Civil War, when it was still illegal. She married Abraham Beasley, a successful black businessman, in 1869. . . . — Map (db m6009) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-12 — Nathanael Greene Monument
Beneath the monument in this Square repose the remains of Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene, of Rhode Island, who died near Savannah on June 19, 1786, at Mulberry Grove Plantation which had been granted to him by this State in appreciation of his services . . . — Map (db m5442) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-11 — Nathanael Greene, Maj. Gen., Continental Army John Maitland, Lt. Col., 71st Regt. of Scotch Foot
This tomb, known as the Graham vault, possesses the distinction of having been the burial place of two heroes of the Revolutionary War, one American and the other British. Lt. Col. John Maitland of Lauder, Scotland, son of the 6th Earl of . . . — Map (db m5342) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 12 — Native Americans on the Georgia Coast
Long before Europeans arrived in the New World, the Savannah area was occupied by Native Americans. The earliest Paleoindian groups migrated into coastal Georgia as early as 10,000 B.C. The hunter-gathers took advantage of rich estuarine . . . — Map (db m19379) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — New World Medical Plants
On this site During the 1730's the Trustees of the Georgia Colony, aided by funds from the Worshipful Society Of Apothecaries of London sought to grow new world medical plants both for their therapeutic value and for the enrichment of empire. The . . . — Map (db m6185) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Nina Anderson Pape (1869 - 1944)
A pioneer in womens education, Nina Anderson Pape completed her studies at Columbia University. She founded the Froebel Circle, which educated the poor children of Savannahs Yamacraw Village; and Tybee Islands Fresh Air Home for disadvantaged . . . — Map (db m8659) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-100 — Noble Jones “Wormslow” 1736–1775
This 1½ mile oak avenue leads to the tabby ruins of Noble Jones colonial fortified plantation. Jones and his family were original settlers in Georgia, arriving in Savannah with founder James E. Oglethorpe on February 1, 1733. As a middle-class . . . — Map (db m10960) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-41 — Nuclear Ship Savannah
The N.S. Savannah, the first nuclear-powered cargo/passenger ship, built by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, was launched on July 21, 1959 and commenced her maiden voyage at sea on Friday March 23, 1962. Before embarking on a . . . — Map (db m58595) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Ogeechee Road
Here, in 1735, was the beginning of the road to Darien, now called the Ogeechee Road, probably the first road laid out in Georgia, with the assistance of Tomochichi. — Map (db m6318) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Oglethorpe Bench
On this spot one hundred and seventy three years ago James Oglethorpe the founder of the colony pitched his tent and here rested at the close of the day from which Georgia was settled. Erected by the Georgia Society of the Colonial Dames of America . . . — Map (db m16064) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Oglethorpe's House
1736-1740 On this site stood the house occupied by James Edward Oglethorpe when in Savannah. His home he made in Frederica the better to protect the young colony — Map (db m6499) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-41 — Old City Exchange Bell
This bell, which is believed to be the oldest in Georgia, bears the date 1802. Imported from Amsterdam, it hung in the cupola of the City Exchange from 1804 until a short time before that building was razed to make way for the present City Hall. . . . — Map (db m4913) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-58 — Old Harbor Light
This beacon light was erected by the Federal government in 1858 as an aid to navigation of the Savannah River. Standing 77 feet above the river level and illuminated by gas, it served for several years as a guide to vessels passing over the hulls . . . — Map (db m5476) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Old Jewish Burial Ground
Established by Mordecai Sheftall on August 2, 1773 from lands granted him in 1762 by King George III as a parcel of land that "shall be, and "forever remain, to and for the use and purpose of a Place of Burial for all persons whatever professing the . . . — Map (db m14471) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-56 — Old Savannah Cotton Exchange
The Savannah Cotton Exchange building was completed in 1887 during the era when Savannah ranked first as a cotton seaport on the Atlantic and second in the world. In its heyday as a cotton port over two million bales a year moved through Savannah. . . . — Map (db m4904) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-27 — Old Sorrel–Weed House
A fine example of Greek Revival style, this building (completed in 1840 from the plans of Charles B. Cluskey, a well-known Georgia architect) shows the distinguished trend of Savannah architecture during the first half of the 19th century. The . . . — Map (db m5628) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Original 1733 Burial Plot
Original 1733 burial plot allotted by James Edward Oglethorpe to the Savannah Jewish Community. — Map (db m9388) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Original Presbyterian Meeting House
This wall is an adaptation of what is believed to be, after through archaeological research sponsored by Historic Savannah Foundation, the original Presbyterian Meeting House, now the Independent Presbyterian Church, housed on the land granted by . . . — Map (db m5510) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-26 — Owens-Thomas House Marquis de Lafayette
This residence is the outstanding monument to the architectural genius of William Jay who completed his designs for its construction prior to his twenty-first birthday. Supervision of the work brought Jay to America in 1817. Its period is English . . . — Map (db m5772) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 76000611 — Owens-Thomas House
. . . — Map (db m19632) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Peter Tondee 1723 - 1775
Born in London, Peter came to Savannah in 1733. Orphaned, he was apprenticed and rose to master in the carpentry trade and leader of the artisans of Savannah. His tavern was the site of many of the banned meetings that organized . . . — Map (db m63810) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-40 — Pin Point Community
Pin Point was settled in 1896 by former slaves from Ossabaw, Green, and Skidaway Islands. Sweetfield of Eden Baptist Church, founded in Pin Point in 1897, was a successor to Ossabaws Hinder Me Not Church and also served as the community's school . . . — Map (db m54183) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Planing Shed & Lumber Shed
Workers in the Planing Shed milled lumber for rail cars and other wooden items manufactured by the railroad. The grouping of the Planing Shed (A) and Lumber Shed (B) next to the Boiler Room (C) was intentional. A line shaft from the Boiler Room . . . — Map (db m70286) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Poetter Hall
Paula and Richard Rowe, along with May and Paul Poetter, founded the Savannah College of Art and Design in 1978. In March 1979, the college purchased its first building, this former Savannah Volunteer Guards Armory, built in 1892. The college . . . — Map (db m5770) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Police Officers Monument
(Front): Above and Beyond "Lest We Forget" Dedicated to the Memory of police officers who gave their lives in the line of duty (Reverse): Above And Beyond "Lest We Forget" Savannah Police Officers Samuel . . . — Map (db m5315) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Police Station Steps
These Steps are a Monument to the Savannah Police Officers Who Have Trod Them In Line Of Duty 1870-1949 — Map (db m6461) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Printing Office of James Johnson
On this site stood the Printing Office of James Johnson Official Printer of Laws and Paper Currency of the province. He was the founder of " The Georgia Gazette" the only newspaper in the colony. The first issue appearing April . . . — Map (db m6488) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 026-23 — Pulaski Monument
The monument erected in this Square to the memory of General Casimir Pulaski, who fell at Savannah in the cause of American Independence, was completed in 1854. The corner-stone was laid, with impressive ceremonies, October 11, 1853 - the 74th . . . — Map (db m5482) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Republican Blues
During the early months of the Civil War, Fort Jackson's Garrison was composed of local militia units which served rotating tours of duty at the fort. One of these units was the Republican Blues commanded by John Wayne Anderson. The Blues . . . — Map (db m25097) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Revd A. Dale Umbreit
This bell is dedicated to the memory of the Revd A. Dale Umbreit Port Chaplain 1975–1988 Given by the Propeller Club Port of Savannah and the Savannah Port Society — Map (db m6874) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Richard Wall 1754 - 1842
Born in County Limerick, Ireland, he served as a Cadet of Marines under Captain John Paul Jones on the 'Bonhomme Richard' in 1779. While pursuing deserters near Ireland he was captured and sent to England's Forton Prison and was released . . . — Map (db m64187) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Richardson-Owens-Thomas House Marquis De Lafayette
In this house designed by the Architect William Jay in early 1800 Marquis De Lafayette was the guest of the City of Savannah March 19-21, 1825. A friend of Washington and a defender of American liberty " . . . — Map (db m19823) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — River Street Inn
. . . — Map (db m99909) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Robert Morris 1734 - 1806
A self-made man, Morris was America's most recognized business figure and was given charge of the Revolution's finances. Often using personal credit or funds he was a key factor in achieving victory. He formed the National Bank and . . . — Map (db m64149) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Roll of Honor
Roll of Honor 1914-1918 These Palmetto trees were planted and this tablet erected by the Savannah Women's Federation in loving honor of the Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of Chatham County who died in the Great War for the cause of . . . — Map (db m81349) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Roundhouse
The roundhouse served as a garage for locomotives, where they could be serviced or repaired. Incoming locomotives traveled on rail through the building to arrive at the Turntable in the center. Operators aligned the rotating . . . — Map (db m53759) HM

292 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 92
Paid Advertisement