Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Erie County New York Historical Markers

552 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 152
 
Marker at Entrance image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 17, 2015
Marker at Entrance
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Park Lane Condominium
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1927 — Map (db m80403) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Park with a View
"What a place to hit a home run! I'd look at the river as I went around the bases." Buffalo Baseball Team - 1898: one of many teams who enjoyed practicing at Riverside Park for its view of the River. Buffalo was one of the first cities in the . . . — Map (db m80480) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Penobscot-Morania Collision
The worst disaster in Buffalo Harbor history took place in the Buffalo River at this point on the night of Oct. 29, 1951, when the outbound freighter Penobscot and the gasoline barge Morania collided, sparking an explosion and fire that took 11 . . . — Map (db m85083) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Peter B. Porter
General, Congressman and later Sec. of War, lived here until his home was destroyed by the British at the burning of Buffalo 1813. — Map (db m74727) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Poland’s Contribution in the Second World War, 1939 - 1945
[Rendering of Poland’s “White Eagle” Coat of Arms and Polish soldiers in action during WWII] This memorial is dedicated to the members of the Polish Armed Forces who gallantly participated in active combat on land, high seas and in the . . . — Map (db m76072) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Porter Square — 1830
Built on land donated by General Peter B. Porter to the people of Black Rock, Porter Square was the village's public gathering place. An early schoolhouse once flanked the square. Later the Black Rock Railroad Station stood here. — Map (db m80450) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — President McKinley
In the Pan-American Temple of Music which covered this spot President McKinley was fatally shot Sept. 6, 1901. — Map (db m43890) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Prudential (Guaranty) Building
Prudential (Guaranty) Building Architect, Louis H. Sullivan, called the father of modern American architecture Early all-steel frame office bldg. with fine terra cotta veneer Built in 1895 — Map (db m92846) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — PTF-17 — Buffalo, Erie County Military & Naval Park —
With the close of World War II, the United States Navy scrapped or sold almost its entire PT Boat fleet. During the next twenty years, differing fast patrol and torpedo/missile armed boat designs were experimented with. However, now new class of . . . — Map (db m75883) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Railroads and the Steel Industry — The Industrial Heritage Trail — The Western New York Railway Historical Society —
The steel industry that developed around the Union Ship Canal and Lake Erie was heavily dependent upon rail transportation for their operations. While bulk shipments of iron ore arrived by ship, coal and other raw materials arrived by rail, and the . . . — Map (db m93995) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Rebecca Gilbert and Elizabeth Peart
. First white women to reside within the limits of Buffalo. Taken as captives from Pennsylvania in 1780, they lived among the Seneca Indians until their release in 1782. Original marker dedicated July 9, 1937. Replaced by the New York . . . — Map (db m137874) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Rebirth & Renewal
In 1926, the Hamburg drain, a major sewer line draining South Buffalo was built; as a result, the Commercial Slip, the Erie Canal's original western terminus, was filled in. Today the Commercial Slip has been restored: the redesign incorporates . . . — Map (db m84477) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Red Jacket
Sa-Co-ye-Wat-Ha (He keeps them awake) Died at Buffalo Creek January 20, 1830 aged 78 years. "When I am gone and my warnings are no longer heeded, the graft and avarice of the white man will prevail. My heart fails me when I think of my people, so . . . — Map (db m65478) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Robert "Frankie" Franklin
Near this location stood a log cabin, home of Robert Franklin, an African American who helped successfully repel a British invasion during the War of 1812 at the First Battle of Black Rock, July 11, 1813. Franklin was killed five months later when . . . — Map (db m74782) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Saint Paul's Episcopal Church
Upon this site was built in 1819 Saint Paul's Episcopal Church The first permanent church edifice erected in Buffalo. It was removed in 1850 to make way for the present stone church. This site was given by the Holland Land Company to Saint Paul's . . . — Map (db m65917) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — 528 — Samuel Helm
Samuel Helm A German-American settled near here in 1809 Killed during British raid in War of 1812. Namesake of Steuben Society Unit 144 — Map (db m131843) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Samuel Manning Welch
Samuel Manning Welch 1851 1919 citizen soldier 1879 1915 Served in the National Guard of New York 1887 1911 Colonel 65th Infantry 1898 Colonel 65th New York Volunteer Infantry in Spanish American War 1911 1915 Brigadier General 4th . . . — Map (db m92806) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Second Home of the Medical School — (1849 - 1893)
The Medical School, founded in 1846 as the first unit of the University of Buffalo, moved from Washington and Seneca Streets to this site in 1849. The School was housed in a red sandstone building which was the first in Buffalo to be constructed for . . . — Map (db m81218) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Seneca Indian Park
In this vicinity from 1780 to 1842 dwelt the larger portion of the Seneca Nation of the Iroquois League. In this enclosure were buried Red Jacket, Mary Jemison the white woman of the Genesee and many of the noted chiefs and leaders of the nation . . . — Map (db m137871) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Shark Girl
Casey Riordan Millard; American, born 1973. Shark Girl, 2013 Painted fiberglass. Public Art Collection of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, and Product of the Public Art Initiative partnership with Erie County and the City of Buffalo, 2014. . . . — Map (db m140653) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Ship Canal Commons — Historical Authenticity and Park Design
Actual photograph of Buffalo Ship Canal site circa 1950s While creating a new public park was the goal of developing Ship Canal Commons, this site is also crucial to telling the story of steel production and heavy industry in South Buffalo. The . . . — Map (db m93918) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Sisters of Charity Hospital — — 1848-1876 —
Sisters of Charity Hospital — 1848-1876 — First hospital in Buffalo. Founded by John Timon, C.M., first Catholic Bishop of Buffalo, and operated by the Sisters of Charity. — Map (db m104006) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Site of the First Meeting of the Optimist Club
Site of the first meeting of the Optimist Club of Buffalo, New York The first club of Optimist International Held February 16, 1911 — Map (db m92914) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Soldiers & Sailors Monument
The city has built this monument in grateful remembrance of the soldiers and sailors who in the war to maintain the Union, laid down their lives in the cause of their country and of mankind. The coming generations taught by their example will . . . — Map (db m92913) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Special Marine Corps Units of W.W.II — 1939 1946
United States Marine Corps The Difference Dedicated to all the men and women who served in the U.S. Marine Corps and Navy personnel who served with them 1939-1946. Defense Battalions Antiaircraft. Artillery. Airdrome Battalions. Glider . . . — Map (db m84651) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — St. Ann's Church
St. Ann's church was founded in 1858 to serve a then rural and sparsely settled east side of Buffalo. As the city grew, so did this parish and by the late 1800s, St. Ann's was among the largest Catholic parishes in the United States. Six other east . . . — Map (db m81329) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — St. John's Church — 1891
. . . — Map (db m93777) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — St. John's German Cemetery
St. John's German Cemetery —— ·•· —— St. John's German United Evangelical Church acquired this site in 1862 for its cemetery. Black Rock pioneers including War of 1812 veterans, German immigrants who began arriving in . . . — Map (db m93774) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — St. Mary's-on-the-Hill
St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Episcopal Church was built on this site in 1874. The original wooden church was replaced by the Medina Sandstone ediface pictured above in 1893. Built in a style reminiscent of village churches constructed in England during . . . — Map (db m80420) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church was the first permanent house of worship erected in Buffalo; the cornerstone was laid june 24, 1819. Being one of the largest public buildings in the village, St. Paul’s was the scene of numerous religious and civic . . . — Map (db m65916) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — St. Stanislaus Church — 1873 - 1973
This Polish Catholic Parish of Buffalo is the center of Polish religion, culture, progress, and development. Founded by the Rev. Dean John Pitass, June 3, 1873. — Map (db m81343) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Stephen W. Howell — House and Store 1830
This limestone Federal style house was built by Stephen W. Howell (1808 – 1885). Howell was a prominent resident of Black Rock and built the Frontier Mills in 1831. His adjacent store has since been demolished. — Map (db m139972) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Temple Beth Zion
Founded in 1850, the congregation of Temple Beth Zion worshiped at different locations in Buffalo before erecting a synagogue at 599 Delaware Avenue in 1890. Following its destruction by fire in 1961, architect Max Abramowitz designed the current . . . — Map (db m75847) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The 1833 Buffalo Lighthouse
The oldest building in Buffalo still standing on its original site, this lighthouse was built in 1832 and 1833. The oldest portion is the 44-foot tapering octagonal tower. The original lantern room was removed in 1857 and the stone casement window . . . — Map (db m85127) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The American Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1985. The American Elevator was the first reinforced concrete grain elevator built on Buffalo's waterfront. It was designed and built by the James Stewart Company for the . . . — Map (db m85960) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Big Picture
The background map is based on an early 20th century map surveying the canal system of New York, expanded to show the network of shipping routes that grew in the wake of the Erie Canal. There is no clearer picture of America's growing economy: the . . . — Map (db m84908) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Buffalo Club
Founded 1867, with Millard Fillmore 13th President of U.S., as its first president. Another U.S. President, Grover Cleveland, was a member from 1881-1908. In 1901, after President McKinley's assassination, the club was used as headquarters by his . . . — Map (db m75836) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Buffalo Stockyards
The Buffalo Stockyards once occupied this 100-acre site. A major employer for over a century, the livestock trade supported a variety of meat-packing and leather crafting businesses. On July 3, 1959 the site was selected for construction of . . . — Map (db m81353) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Cargill Superior Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1990. The Superior Elevator, as it was originally known, was built in 1915 by the Monarch Engineering Company for the Husted Milling Company. A.E. Baxter was the . . . — Map (db m85961) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The City of Buffalo Sent 18893 Men to Serve in the Great War — Honor Roll of Saint Paul's Church —
The City of Buffalo sent 18893 men to serve in the Great War (1914-1918) of which number 851 made the supreme sacrifice of their lives. The Honor Roll of Saint Paul's Church contains the names of 130 men and 7 women who served in this . . . — Map (db m75260) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Coast Guard
The Coast Guard Base in Buffalo is both a lifeboat station and a regional headquarters covering American Coastal waters from eastern Ohio to the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence River. Units here include station Buffalo, Group Buffalo . . . — Map (db m84984) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Cobblestone Historic District
Cobble Stone District, Buffalo, New York The Cobblestone Historic District survives as evidence of Buffalo's industrial history and the city's position as the grain handling hub of the Great Lakes. The district is bounded by Illinois, Perry and . . . — Map (db m80055) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Concrete Central Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. The Concrete Central Elevator is located between the Buffalo River and the track of the former New York Central Railroad. It is the furthest upstream of any . . . — Map (db m85957) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Connecting Terminal and General Mills Elevators — The Industrial Heritage Trail
The Frontier Elevator/ General Mills. The large General Mills elevating and milling complex at 54 Michigan Ave. began as a small Buffalo-owned elevator company, Frontier Elevator, incorporated in 1886 by six local businessmen. In 1903 the . . . — Map (db m106471) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Connecting Terminal Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
The Connecting Terminal Elevator stands on the west side of the City Ship Canal immediately upstream of its confluence with the Buffalo River. The existing facility is actually the second elevator built on the site. The first Connecting Terminal . . . — Map (db m85269) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Early Grain Trade / Influence of the Erie Canal — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Wheat was one of the first agricultural products planted by European colonists in the New World. In colonial times, it was not only a staple of life, but also became an item of national and foreign trade. The western movement of population . . . — Map (db m85538) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Electric Elevator Annex — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. The oringinal Electric Elevator, built in 1897, was one of the first elevators to use electricity as a power source. The original construction consisted of nineteen . . . — Map (db m85963) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Engineers of the Grain Elevators — The Industrial Heritage Trail
During the first half of the twentieth century, over 30 concrete grain elevators lined Buffalo's inner and outer harbors, representing the culmination of over 60 years of grain elevator design. Beginning in 1842 with entrepreneur Joseph Dart and . . . — Map (db m85435) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Erie Canal / Two Waterfronts
The Erie Canal This site marks the west end of the canal opened in 1825. It carried products and people between Lake Erie and the Hudson River. Two Waterfronts The convergence of lake and canal made possible the . . . — Map (db m84473) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Father Justin Rosary Hour
Begun here as a weekly radio program in 1931, the Father Justin Rosary Hour is today the oldest continuing hour-long religious network program in the Polish language in the world. — Map (db m81339) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Fenian Invasion of 1866
The Fenian Invasion of 1866 The Fenian Brotherhood was a group of Irish Nationalists founded in the United States in 1858 with the goal of creating an Irish Republic. In this vicinity, from the docks of the Pratt Iron Works, on the night of . . . — Map (db m140705) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The First Grain Elevator / Early Grain Elevators — The Industrial Heritage Trail
In the years following the opening of the Erie Canal, Buffalo's harbor was becoming increasingly clogged with ships awaiting their turns to unload their cargos. A full team of dock workers could unload at most 2,000 bushels a day, and even then, . . . — Map (db m85530) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Flint Hill Encampment
During the War of 1812, 300 American soldiers died in a camp in this area, and are buried below the large boulder directly behind you in the park meadow. 1812-2012. — Map (db m75075) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The French Connection — 7 ⚜ 11 ⚜ 14 — Buffalo Sabres Alumni Plaza —
The combination of center Gilbert Perreault, left wing Rick Martin and right wing Rene Robert is widely considered to be one of the greatest forward lines in NHL history and remains the most celebrated offensive unit in Buffalo Sabres history. The . . . — Map (db m79995) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Grain Elevators — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Fortuitous geography, local engineering ingenuity, and American business acumen were to combine to assure Buffalo a pivotal role in the forwarding of grain to national and international markets. After the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, . . . — Map (db m85392) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Grain Industry Decline / Buffalo's Grain Legacy — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Buffalo was the leading wheat market in the United States for the first three decades of the twentieth century. However, by the 1930s, Buffalo's strategic position in the grain trade weakened as U.S. and Canadian grain began to bypass the port's . . . — Map (db m85484) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Grand Canal
Skeptics dubbed the project "Clinton's Folly" and "Clinton's Ditch" when construction of the Erie Canal began near Rome on July 4, 1817, deriding both the project and its principal promoter. Things were very different by October 24, 1825 when . . . — Map (db m84848) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Great Lakes — The Industrial Heritage Trail
The Great Lakes and many resources of the Great Lakes basin have played a major role in the history and development of the United States and Canada. For the early European explorers and settlers, the lakes and their tributaries were the avenues for . . . — Map (db m86006) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Hiker — United Spanish War Veterans
The Hiker United Spanish War Veterans Erected by the City of Buffalo commemorating the valor and patriotism of the men of this city who served in the war with Spain, Philippine insurrection and China relief expedition, 1898 - 1902. Marines . . . — Map (db m92923) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The H-O Oats Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. Development at the H-O Oats site began in 1893, with the construction of a wood-framed cereal mill and a feed mill built for Edward Ellsworth. Ellsworth was a . . . — Map (db m85882) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Immigrant Steps — Building Buffalo
The Immigrant Steps. Building Buffalo. Great waves of 19th Century immigration flowed through East Coast ports to Buffalo. Thousands traveled by water vessels, while others took wagons from New England and Pennsylvania to ships headed west. Many . . . — Map (db m140646) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Industrial Heritage Trail — Monuments to the Movement of Grain — Maritime Heritage —
Lifting Buffalo to World Renown. In 1924 Buffalo led the world in handling grain. 300,000,000 bushels passed throught Buffalo harbor, unloaded, lifted, stored, and reloaded by the grain elevators that still stand tall along the banks of the . . . — Map (db m84694) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Japanese Garden on Mirror Lake
Was originally conceived in 1970 with construction being completed in 1972. The purpose was to create a place of beauty and tranquility as well as commemorate the sister city relationship between Buffalo and Kanazawa, Japan.

In 1996 the garden . . . — Map (db m108503) HM

New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Lake and Rail Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1990. The Lake and Rail Elevator was developed by International Milling Inc., which established a new milling operation in Buffalo in 1926. Within four years of the . . . — Map (db m85881) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Legend of John Maynard
John Maynard. "Who is John Maynard?" "John Maynard, he was our helmsman who held out till he brought us safely through, saved us and wears a hero's crown above. For us he died, and his reward our love, John Maynard." The Buffalo-Dortmund Sister . . . — Map (db m92930) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Lehigh Portland Cement Company — The Industrial Heritage Trail
The Lehigh Portland Cement Company was originally known as the Great Lakes Portland Cement Company. The plant was constructed in 1925 on a 23 acre site adjacent to Lake Erie and the Union Ship Canal. The plant employed over 250 people, and had a . . . — Map (db m86100) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Lifeboat Station
The Buffalo Life-saving Station and the headquarters of the U.S. Revenue Marine Bureau's ninth life saving district were established in 1876, beginning operations at the north pier the following spring. The U.S. Life Saving Service became a . . . — Map (db m84985) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Lighthouse Service
Established in 1789, the U.S. Lighthouse Service maintained lighthouses and a district headquarters in Buffalo until it was absorbed by the Coast Guard in 1939. Tenth District, long under the command of District Lighthouse Superintendent Roscoe . . . — Map (db m84982) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
Millionaire's Row Charles F. Sternberg, who owned a grain elevator on Ohio Street, commissioned the Mansion as a private residence in 1869 at an estimated cost of $200,000. Architect George M. Allison, about whom little is known, designed . . . — Map (db m76056) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Marine "A" Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1990. The Marine 'A' Elevator, constructed in 1925, is actually the third Marine elevator built by the Abell family of Buffalo. The original wooden Marine elevator, built . . . — Map (db m85904) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Nash House
In 1925, Reverend J. Edward Nash (1868-1957) and his wife Frances Jackson Nash (1895-1987) purchased this Queen Anne home, built ca. 1900, in what was a culturally diverse neighborhood. In 1926 Rev. and Mrs. Nash welcomed the birth of Jesse E. . . . — Map (db m75151) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Niagara River
The Niagara River Historic Events: War of 1812 Approximately 2000 feet northwest from this spot, in the Niagara River, lies the remains of a (War of 1812) battleship. The vessel was identified as the U.S.S. Adams, also known as the H.M.S. . . . — Map (db m140671) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Pan-American Exposition — Historic New York
Extending one mile north from Delaware Park Lake, between Elmwood and Delaware Avenues, the Pan-American Exposition was a spectacular sight to over eight million visitors from May 1 to November 2, 1901. Ornate buildings, embellished with decorated . . . — Map (db m57079) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Perot Malting Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. The perot Company, a business dating back to the late 1600s in Philadelphia, relocated its operations to Buffalo in 1907. The company commissioned the construction . . . — Map (db m85907) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Ruins at Canalside — Drinking in 19th Century Buffalo
The Ruins at Canalside. Drinking in 19th Century Buffalo. The authentic remnant of Canal District commerce known now as the Ruins at Canalside, was home to a prominent Commercial Slip building that saw multiple uses in the mid-19th Century as the . . . — Map (db m140645) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Sample Shop
The Sample Shop ——·•·—— Anne W. Bunis founded the Sample Shop in the front room of her home at this site in 1929. Two generations of the Bunis family operated the business from its flagship store, created by converting 8 . . . — Map (db m80355) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Saskatchewan Pool Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1990. The Saskatchewan Pool Elevator, was built in 1925 by the Monarch Engineering Company for the Canadian Farmers Cooperative. Its designer was C.D. Howe, a noted civil . . . — Map (db m85748) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Site of Fort Tompkins — Also Known as Fort Adams
The largest and most important fortification on the American shore in or near Buffalo during the War of 1812Map (db m57093) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Site of the First Court Houses of Niagara and Erie County
First Court House built 1810. Destroyed at the burning of Buffalo by the British - December 30, 1813. Second Court House built 1816-17. Abandoned March 11, 1876. Niagara County formed from Genesee County March 11, 1888 and Erie County from . . . — Map (db m65922) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The South Pier
The 1,425-foot south pier as it exists today was built by the Army Corps of Engineers, to strengthen an earlier citizen-built pier that was vital to Buffalo's emergence as a city. In 1820 villagers built a 900-foot pier at this site by placing . . . — Map (db m84953) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Spencer Kellogg Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. This 1,000,000 bushel elevator was completed in 1911 to supply Spencer Kellogg's linseed oil mill, the world's largest at the time. Unlike most of the elevators on . . . — Map (db m85849) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Standard Elevator — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1985. The Standard Elevator stands next to the Buffalo River, immediately upstream of the Ohio Street Bridge. It was built in two phases of development. It was designed . . . — Map (db m85795) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Union Ship Canal — The Industrial Heritage Trail
The Union Ship Canal came about as a collective effort of railroad, shipping, banking, and iron smelting business interests. The founders of the Buffalo and Susquehanna Iron Company (the predecessor to Hanna Furnace) controlled rail lines to Buffalo . . . — Map (db m86097) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The War of 1812 — Black Rock Historic Trail
The War of 1812 Black Rock Historic Trail celebrates the sites and historic events that occurred during the War of 1812 in the area of Black Rock in the City of Buffalo. There are 9 markers accessible by bike or walking tour. The trail begins at . . . — Map (db m93865) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Wheeler / GLF Elevator
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. The Wheeler Elevator, designed by H.R. Wait, was built in 1909 by the Monarch Engineering Company. The elevator had several unique features. It was the first . . . — Map (db m85855) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Theodore Roosevelt
Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of The United States of America Inaugurated at this site September 14th, 1901 — Map (db m139973) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — This Memorial is Dedicated to All of the Service Members from WNY
This memorial is dedicated to all of the service members from WNY who answered our nation's call to duty following the attacks of September 11, 2001... In memory of our brothers and sisters who have given their lives while serving their country . . . — Map (db m84655) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — This Monument Honors the Soldiers and Sailors
1881 This monument honors the soldiers and sailors buried here who fought to save the Union, 1861-1865. [east side]Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty. One country one flag. Committee on Removal, 1904. John D. Lieb, Chairman; Charles M. . . . — Map (db m81201) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — This Purple Heart Memorial
. . . — Map (db m84695) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Thunder Over the Niagara — Gun Batteries Used in the War of 1812 in Black Rock
Batteries are fortifications used to protect the men and cannons as they take up positions in battle. The Niagara River had a number of these located on both sides of the river during the War of 1812. Made largely of wood and having two levels to . . . — Map (db m97930) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Tifft Nature Preserve — An Urban Sanctuary — Natural History —
Nature to Industry to Nature 1998 Designated an Important Bird Area (IBA) by National Audubon Society. 1983 Preserve closed for hazardous waste removal. 1982 Preserve merged with Buffalo Museum of Science. 1978 Makowski Visitor Center . . . — Map (db m93874) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Times Beach Nature Preserve — The Industrial Heritage Trail
In 1987, the New York State Department of State designated the Times Beach area as a significant coastal fish and wildlife habitat. This designation is aimed at protecting the state's most important coastal habitats. Times Beach Nature Preserve is . . . — Map (db m85308) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — To Commemorate the Gallantry of
To commemorate the gallantry of ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ the officers and enlisted men of the thirteenth regiment U.S. Infantry in the campaign against Santiago de Cuba. First at San Juan Hill, July 1st 1898 as they were at . . . — Map (db m80364) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — To Honor the Memory of Our Dead
[header]United Spanish War Veterans [tablet]"To Honor the Memory of Our Dead" [base]Cuba, Porto Rico, Philippines, China, 1898-1902. — Map (db m81202) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — To Honor the Men and Women
To honor the men & women of this com- munity who served our country in the second world war 1941 1945 — Map (db m131881) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — To Preserve the Memories
To preserve the memories and incidents of our association in the Great War — Map (db m81216) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Toni Sisti Park
Anthony Sisti, born Greenwich Village, New York City, 1901, came to Buffalo at the age of ten. Artist by profession, boxer by avocation, prime mover in the development of this city's Allentown district where he maintained his studio and gallery . . . — Map (db m104032) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Tow Path Park
Tow Path Park The “Black Rock” The black rock that gave the area its name was situated in the Niagara River just north of where the Peace Bridge is now, near the foot of present-day School Street. It was 200 feet wide, rose about . . . — Map (db m140711) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Tree planted November 30, 1925
Tree planted November 30, 1925 by Wm. Richardson Woman’s Relief Corps No. 59 Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic In Honor of Bidwell-Wilkenson Post No. 9 Grand Army of the Republic Bidwell Post No. 9 Organized April 1, 1870 . . . — Map (db m138864) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Trinity Church
The second Episcopal Church in Buffalo. Parish organized 1836. Building erected 1886. — Map (db m75837) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — U.S. Submarine Veterans World War II
The purpose of this organization is to perpetuate the memory of those shipmates who gave their lives in submarine warfare. At the end of World War II hostilities, 52 submarines had been lost on which 72 officers and 3,131 enlisted men had given . . . — Map (db m84734) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Underground Railroad River Crossing
Underground Railroad River Crossing From this site and from other places along the Niagara River escaping slaves were conducted across the boundary from the United States to freedom in Canada. — Map (db m97933) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Unity Island
Unity Island Discovered in 1679 by the men of LaSalle’s expedition, the Senecas knew this island as ”De-dyo-no-guh-doh,” or Divided Island because it was divided by a marshy creek called Smuggler’s Run. Presented in 1798 by the . . . — Map (db m57108) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — University Presbyterian Church
University Presbyterian Church has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m131875) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Unnamed Soldiers of the War of 1812
To the memory of unnamed soldiers of the War of 1812 who died of camp disease and were buried here. Dedicated July 4, 1896 — Map (db m75068) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — USS Grenadier (SS210) — Lost in Action April 22, 1943
Scuttled by her crew due to damage inflicted by enemy aircraft. All members were captured by the Japanese and imprisoned until war's end. Crewmen that died in P.O.W. camp: Doyle, Charles - MOMM1; Linder, Charles - MOMM2; Guico, Justiano - MATT1; . . . — Map (db m88231) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — USS The Sullivans (DD-537) — Buffalo, Erie County Military & Naval Park —
. . . — Map (db m77034) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — USS Boston SSN703
Seventh U.S. Warship named for the Capital City of Massachusetts. Commissioned 30 January 1982. Decommissioned 19 November 1999. Built by General Dynamics Electric Boat Division, Groton, Connecticut. Commanding Officers 01/1982 - 08/1982 CDR . . . — Map (db m84802) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Valor — 106 Field Arillery, 65 Infantry
Valor 106 Field Artillery 65 Infantry To the glory of god and in memory of the brave men of both organizations who served their state and country in both peace and war, and in honor and appreciation of the heroic deeds and sacrifices performed . . . — Map (db m140757) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Waterfront Sites — From the LaSalle Park Gateway
Waterfront Sites From the LaSalle Park Gateway From the miltary garrison in Fort Erie to the wind turbines visible to the south, this vantagepoint depicts the endeavors of over 250 years of economic history. LaSalle Park. Named for the . . . — Map (db m93008) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Wedding of the Waters — The Completion of the Erie Canal
It was at this spot on the morning of October 26, 1825, that Governor DeWitt Clinton officially opened the waterway that transformed America. More than eight years had passed since he broke ground on the canal, and after 363 miles, the engineering . . . — Map (db m84500)
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — West Ferry Street Bascule Bridge
"Our world of today revolves around things which at one time couldn't be done because they were supposedly beyond the limits of human endeavor...don't be afraid to dream." - Joseph B. Strauss. The foot of West Ferry Street has been significant to . . . — Map (db m97963) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Western New York Vietnam Veterans Monument
They answered when called: Asked for little and got less: And made us poorer for their passing But richer for their sacrifice. In remembering the dead We embrace the living: For we ought to remember Better than we do. Stephen T. Banko III, . . . — Map (db m84682) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Westminster Presbyterian Church
. . . — Map (db m92957) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Wilcox Mansion
Site of Army barracks established here in 1838. President Theodore Roosevelt took the oath of office as President of the United States here in 1901. — Map (db m43894) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — William Dorsheimer House
This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United States Department of the Interior for its archives at the Library of Congress — Map (db m92938) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — William G. Fargo Mansion — 1867-1900
William G. Fargo, co-founder with Henry Wells, of American Express Co. in 1850, Wells Fargo & Co. - Pony Express in 1851 and mayor of Buffalo during the Civil War (1862-1866) built his French Mansard-style mansion on a site bounded by Jersey, West, . . . — Map (db m80419) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — William McKinley
[west side] William McKinley was elected to Congress as a representative from Ohio in 1876, '78, '80, '82, '84, '86, '88, was elected Governor of Ohio in 1891 and 1893 and President of the United States in 1896 and 1900. [south side] William . . . — Map (db m92791) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — William Wells Brown
William Wells Brown, writer and abolitionist, lived at 13 Pine Street. Escaping slavery in Missouri in 1834, Brown made his way to Cleveland then to Buffalo in 1835. As a crew member on a Lake Erie steamer he helped slaves escape to Canada. Later, . . . — Map (db m81219) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — William Wells Brown — Anti-Slavery Activist and Writer
William Wells Brown, an escaped slave from Kentucky, earned his living as a cook on lake freighters in the early days of the Erie Canal. In 1836, he moved his family to Buffalo, and soon became involved with the city's African-American community. . . . — Map (db m84558) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Wind Power on the Waterfront — The Industrial Heritage Trail
In June 2007, eight wind turbines began operation along the shores of Lake Erie, capturing the constant breezes and generating enough clean energy to power 6,000 homes. The "Steel Winds" project is unique for several reasons, most notably its . . . — Map (db m93997) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Bellevue — Cheektowaga Historic Rails to Trails
The Bellevue Neighborhood was one of the earliest settlements in Cheektowaga, when the Ely family settled there and established one of the first saw mills in Cheektowaga along Cayuga Creek. These family members were abolitionists and maintained an . . . — Map (db m82326) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Bennet Cemetery
Early Cheektowaga cemetery. Oldest stone dated 1819. Graves of Armitage, Bennet, Adams, Davis, Doat, Watts, Boothroy & other families. — Map (db m81467) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Buffalo Creek Indian Reservation North Boundary
The defeated Indian League of the Iroquois received a large reservation across Erie County, at the end of the American Revolution. William Street forms part of the north boundary of this Buffalo Creek Indian Reservation. The final sale treaty, . . . — Map (db m74063) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Earliest Church
Our Lady of Christians started as a shrine in 1851. Fulfilling a vow he made during an Atlantic storm in November 1836. German immigrant Joseph Batt gave land and built the shrine. In October 1890, this church became the first parish in . . . — Map (db m81469) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Forks — Cheektowaga Historic Rails to Trails
The area of Cheektowaga known as Forks, New York is located in the middle of the town at the junction of Broadway & Union Roads. A major railroad station was at this location and in the 1920s the present Town Hall was built. Behind the now . . . — Map (db m103646) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — George Urban, Jr. Residence
George Urban, Jr. Residence ——•—— On this property in 1883, at an outdoor picnic of Buffalo Business- men, Gerhard Lang proposed the toast "To Grover Cleveland, our next President." This launched the campaign which . . . — Map (db m82307) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Heroic Dead
Heroic Dead 1917 World War 1918 Town of Cheektowaga, N.Y. Andres, John; Benzel, William; Duly, John R.; Geier, Harvey H.; Hoerner, Jacob J.; Holtz, John W.; Klaffka, John C.; Latzer, Wendelin; Ostrowski, Frank; Racinowski, Stanley; Szydlowski, . . . — Map (db m106530) WM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Site of Toll Gate
On this site was located one of the early toll booths for the Buffalo - Batavia Plank Road laid out by Joseph Ellicott, and the plank road towards Lancaster and Alden. The toll was later moved west about 400 feet. It was abandoned in the early . . . — Map (db m81421) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Site of Underground Railway Station
Site of Underground Railway Station ——•—— Sterling Ely, and his brother, L. Sheldon Ely, both Abolitionists, operated an Underground Rail- way Station, between the years 1850 and 1863. At least 26 escaping black . . . — Map (db m82308) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — The Original Site of Forks Hose Company #2
The original site of Forks Hose Company #2 established Oct 11th 1911 and later the site of the Forks Hotel, famous for Eddie Fechter's magic. — Map (db m81420) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — This Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to those Americans who made the supreme sacrifice in Vietnam. — Map (db m106531) WM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — War of 1812 Cemetery
This tablet is erected by the Buffalo Historical Society in honor of the American and British soldiers of the War of 1812 who died in the military hospital at Williamsville, New York and were buried here in 1814 and 1815. — Map (db m74884) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Clarence Center
Site of early grist mill constructed in 1842 by Robert Brown. Successively operated by Eli Herr, Abraham Gantz, Daniel Blocher, Alexander Burns and Oscar King. Destroyed by fire in 1888. The residence of Daniel C. Fisher M.D. was constructed on . . . — Map (db m80894) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Clarence Center
Clarence Center ———— David Vantine opened a store on this site in 1829. The settlement was called Vantine's Corners. When first Post Office was established June 26, 1849 with Mr. Vantine as Post-Master, the name was . . . — Map (db m128609) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Clarence Town Park
Site of the first automobile country club. Built in 1910 by the Automobile Club of Buffalo. Operated until 1957 when it was sold to the Town of Clarence for a town park. Plaque erected by Automobile Club of Western New York for Historical Society of . . . — Map (db m74962) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Goodrich-Landow Log Cabin
This building is not a replica but a genuine log cabin moved here in 1990 and restored as an exhibit by the Town of Clarence and the Historical Society. It is the best surviving local example of the type of cabin erected by early settlers from New . . . — Map (db m74996) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Harris Hill
Harris Hill was named for Asa Harris, pioneer who settled here in 1807 and opened a tavern. When Buffalo burned during the War of 1812, Harris Hill became a haven for refugees. Many Buffalo business places were moved here temporarily, including the . . . — Map (db m75032) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — In Memory of Our Comrades / In Grateful Memory
1914 In Memory of Our Comrades 1918. La Verne W. Drudge, Justus W. Graves, William Laurish, who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War. Dedicated by Clarence Post 838, American Legion.

In grateful memory, the Town of Clarence dedicates . . . — Map (db m74901) WM

New York (Erie County), Clarence — J. Eschelman and Company Store
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m80875) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Niagara Frontier — Historic New York
The Niagara River between Lakes Ontario and Erie was the natural route to the interior of the continent. Following the arrival of French explorers in 1678, missionaries, traders, troops and settlers traveled by its waters. At the outlet of the . . . — Map (db m57072) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Town of Clarence - First Grist Mill in Erie County
Erected on this site June 1803 by Asa Ransom. Plaque erected by Rotary Club of Clarence in 1963 for Historical Society of the Town of Clarence. — Map (db m74904) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Town of Clarence - Ransom's Grove
First settlement in Town on Clarence (and second in Erie County) made near this site in 1799 by Asa Ransom. Birthplace of Harry B. Ransom, first white male child on Holland Purchase. Joseph Ellicott opened Holland Land Company Office here at . . . — Map (db m75036) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Town of Clarence - Swormville
Swormville was settled by people of Bavarian and French Canadian descent. The Rev. John N. Neumann, a secular priest, held services here as early as 1839. The town's first Catholic Church was built in 1849, serving 80 families in the so-called . . . — Map (db m75252) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Watchman's Flag Shanty, West Shore Railroad
The New York, West Shore and Buffalo Railroad was established in 1882, but the owners never expected it to be a successful business. They knew that rail baron Chauncey Depew did not like competition with his New York Central Railroad; they expected . . . — Map (db m75038) HM
New York (Erie County), Colden — Buffum Homestead
Buffum Homestead —•— Site of and original frame building in Township of Colden. Built in 1810 by Richard Buffum for home and first inn. Became post office in 1833 as well as meeting place for Livingstone Lodge No. 255 F.& A. . . . — Map (db m104164) HM
New York (Erie County), Colden — Buffum Inn
Buffum Inn Built in 1828 by Richard Buffum. First settler in 1810. Built first grist mill 1814 giving area name of Buffum's Mills. — Map (db m104163) HM
New York (Erie County), Colden — Colden — Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway — History & Historical Landmarks —
Originally named Buffum Mills, Colden was renamed after the post office was moved to the Buffum Inn in 1833. Colden residents have served their country in many conflicts from the American Revolution to the present time. In front of you is our . . . — Map (db m104177) HM
New York (Erie County), Colden — Colden United Methodist Church
Colden United Methodist Church Organized in 1849. This first church building in Colden built and dedicated in 1859 on land donated by Richard Buffum. — Map (db m104165) HM
New York (Erie County), Colden — In Memory of Alfred M. Kalinowski — 1929-2014
This gazebo was made possible by Alfred's generous gift to our town. Al was a husband and father devoted to his family, his hometown, and his country. Al proudly served with the US Marine Corps during the Korean War as a Sergeant. In July 1953 . . . — Map (db m104161) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Colden — The Town of Colden Honors Our Men & Women
[on separate stone:] Dedicated by The Town of Colden in honor of our men and women who served our country in search of world peace and human dignity and in memory of those in all wars who gave their lives for freedom. [wall:] The Town of . . . — Map (db m104179) WM
New York (Erie County), Collins — “Taylor Tract”
Collins and Gowanda Correctional Facilities occupy the ormer 1898 Homeopathic Hospital site later renamed the Gowanda Psychiatric Center. Collins Correctional Facility — 1982 Gowanda Correctional Facility — 1994 — Map (db m78956) HM
New York (Erie County), Collins — Tree With Bank Account — Nichols Elm
Tree With Bank Account Nichols Elm Stopping place for stage coaches, Indian trail and survey marker. Saved in 1928 when route 39 was built. Preserved through funds collected by citizens of Collins Center. On February 7, 1964, the 145 year . . . — Map (db m104149) HM
New York (Erie County), Concord — As We Honor the Memory
As we honor the memory of these Erie County residents killed in action, let us pledge that their lives, sacrifices and valor shall always be remembered. — Map (db m104189) HM
New York (Erie County), Concord — Erie County — Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway — Sprague Brook Park —
Be it for day use or for overnight camping adventure, the park is a southern Erie County treasure. Park and Area History. Sprague Brook Park was acquired by Erie County in 1963 by using state and federal aid programs to assume title to more . . . — Map (db m104186) HM
New York (Erie County), Concord — In Honor of "Mark O"
In honor of "Mark O" Mark O'Connell 1950 - 2015 Viet Nam Veteran, devoted Husband & Father. Honored for his dedication and vision as one of the leaders in the creation and development of this Viet Nam Veterans Memorial Grove and as AMVETS . . . — Map (db m104193) WM
New York (Erie County), Concord — The Bigelow Bridge
The Bigelow Bridge over the Cattaraugus Creek is significant as an intact example of a "Pennsylvania (Petit)" truss. This is a Parker truss modified with the addition of sub-struts, resting on reinforced concrete abutments. This is an unusual bridge . . . — Map (db m80806) HM
New York (Erie County), Concord — Town of Concord — Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway — Home of Outdoor Recreation and Scenic Wonders —
Erie County's Gateway to the Allegheny Mountains. You are standing in the historic Concord Community Park. The land was donated and the park was created in 1952, becoming the home of the Springville Baseball Club. The club converted a 20 acre . . . — Map (db m104197) HM
New York (Erie County), Concord — Veterans Memorial Grove
Veterans Memorial Grove We loved them once. We love them now. Dedicated to: Who they were, what they sacrificed and how much they loved each other. — Map (db m104187) WM
New York (Erie County), Concord — We Remember Forever
. . . — Map (db m104191) WM
New York (Erie County), Concord — Woodside Farms
Woodside Farms —·•·— Jeremiah Richardson 1795 ~ 1879. Pioneer settler town of Concord about 1816, near Mortons Corners, cleared much land, establishing farms that his son David and grand~ son Arthur enlarged. David built a home . . . — Map (db m104211) HM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — Baker Memorial United Methodist Church
Baker Memorial United Methodist Church circa 1928 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m104148) HM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — Dedicated to Those Who Served
American Legion Post 362 Dedicated to those who served and sacrificed for our country — Map (db m131981) WM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — East Aurora Cemetery
East Aurora Cemetery This plaque dedicated to the memory of the pioneers who settled in the town of Aurora and erected by their descendants in 1968. The Allaire Co Buffalo NY Established 1827 Attached plaque - Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m130980) HM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — Elbert Hubbard / Michelangelo
Elbert Hubbard The "Sage of East Aurora" and benefactor of the arts and crafts based on ideals of John Ruskin and William Morris. Statue by eminent Irish sculptor and early Roycrofter Jerome Connor (1876-1943). Dedicated in 1930, the statue . . . — Map (db m74491) HM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — Millard Fillmore House
In 1825, Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States, helped build this house to which he brought his bride, Abigail Powers, in 1826, residing here until 1830. Moved from original Main Street site 1930. Tablet placed by Abigail Fillmore . . . — Map (db m74669) HM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — Republic F-84
Republic F-84 The Republic F-84 entered service in 1947 and was withdrawn from service in 1971. It became the Air Force's primary strike aircraft during the Korean War, flying 86,408 missions It was the first aircraft to fly with the U.S. Air . . . — Map (db m131979) HM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — The Middle Road
in 1803 Joseph Ellicott with Jabez Warren, East Aurora's pioneer settler, surveyed and laid out Middle Road, also known as Big Tree Road, for the Holland Land Company. It extended a distance of 43 miles from the Genesee River to Lake Erie including . . . — Map (db m74558) HM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — The Roycroft Shops — 1895 - 1938
Founded by Elbert Hubbard, writer, lecturer, philosopher, advertising innovator and author of "A Message to Garcia". The crafts movement employed skilled artisans who produced printing, bookbinding, modeling, text illumination, hand wrought metal . . . — Map (db m74783) HM
New York (Erie County), East Aurora — Village of East Aurora — Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway — Sinking Ponds Archeological Site —
The Sinking Ponds Site was home to Native Americans for thousands of years prior to the establishment of the Village of East Aurora by Euro-American settlers. Sinking Ponds is a Native American archeological site occupied repeatedly for thousands . . . — Map (db m104153) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — AH-1 "Whiskey Cobra" Helicopter
This AH-1F Cobra Tail number 67-15506 was purchased by the United States Army in February of 1968. Between April and July of that year the helicopter took part in various duties at Fort Worth, Fort Still and Fort Belvoir. In August of 1968 the Cobra . . . — Map (db m94042) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — Clarksburg
Clarksburg Est. 1819. Named for early settler Simeon Clark, who built a sawmill & gristmill near here ca.1820. First school established ca. 1839. — Map (db m94050) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — Col. Asa Warren
Col. Asa Warren built this house in 1815. Used as underground railroad station during the Civil War. — Map (db m94048) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — Dedicated to the Honor and Sacrifice
Dedicated to the Honor and Sacrifice of our Men and Women who Served our Country in All Wars. — Map (db m94040) WM
New York (Erie County), Eden — 522 — Eden Valley Mills
Since ca. 1817 saw and grist mills operated here. Lumber, baskets, shingles, feed & flour were produced. Water powered until 1929. — Map (db m132677) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church First church to be formally organized in Eden Oct. 2, 1816. Member met here after 1840. Existing church dedicated this site Jan. 28, 1896. — Map (db m94049) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — Hill's Corners
Hill's Corners ——•—— John Hill settled here in 1811. The Town was officially named Eden in 1812, but was known as Hill's Corners until 1822, when a Post Office was established. Dr William Hill, father of John Hill, . . . — Map (db m94043) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — Quaker Cemetery
Quaker Cemetery 26th day of 10th month 1813 Friends of Eden requested permission to hold meetings. Log meeting house was built across road from cemetery. — Map (db m93796) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — Samuel Tubbs
Samuel Tubbs settled this valley 1808 Other early settlers, John Welch, Dr. John March, Levi Bunting and Daniel Webster — Map (db m93795) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 1844 Springbrook Mill Gear Assembly — Basic Mill Drive-Train Arrangement
This assembly was used in the water mills on the Cazenovia Creek at Northrup Road during the mid to late 1800's. Its purpose was to transmit power from water wheels to grist stones and/or saws. Around the turn of the 20th century, this mill . . . — Map (db m104147) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — Big Flats
Big Flats Site of Seneca Indian Village ca. 1780-1842 later known as Milford or Hurd or Briggs Mills and then Elma Village. — Map (db m104140) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 305 — Blossom
Religious Society known as Ebenezers named this hamlet Upper Ebenezer in 1844. Name was changed to Blossom ca. 1866. — Map (db m130633) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 288 — East Elma
East Elma ca. 1865. Had woolen mill, sawmill, blacksmith, grocery, Post Office & swimming hole. Later called Frog Pond. Originally home of Senecas. — Map (db m131847) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 510 — Elma Centre
Elma Centre prospered around R.R. depot est. near here ca. 1870. Coal & lumber dealers, blacksmith, saloon, Post Office & school built nearby. — Map (db m131846) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — Elma Town Museum
Elma Town Museum Built by C.W. Hurd, 1846. Home of the first town meeting, 1857. Moved in 1873 next to church. Became the parsonage 1929. Given to the Elma Historical Society 1984. Moved to present site 1895. Dedicated to Town of Elma, NY . . . — Map (db m104141) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — Elma Village Mill
Before you is the reconstruction of the Hurd and Briggs double sawmill. Efforts to reconstruct a working mill for educational and historic preservation purposes began in 2008. This is the site of the original mill. The actual foundations and race . . . — Map (db m104144) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — North Star Tavern
Built 1831 by Martin Taber to accommodate travelers to Buffalo. Located on Indian Trail which later became Aurora-Buffalo Plank Road. Property was in Mile Strip, first part of Elma to be developed from Buffalo Creek Reservation — Map (db m58915) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 260 — Spring Brook
Spring Brook By 1848 this hamlet was named for a brook whose waters crossed the Aurora Plank Rd now known as Seneca Street. — Map (db m96222) HM
New York (Erie County), Evans — Aaron Salisbury — (1786-1861)
Aaron Salisbury was the first permanent settler in the Town of Evans (1809). He is reputed to have single handedly fought off a British raiding party at 18 Mile Creek during the War of 1812. He became a lieutenant in the 48th N.Y. Infantry. After . . . — Map (db m105619) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Evans — Birthplace of Willis Haviland Carrier — 1876-1950
Teacher - Engineer Man of Science Inventor of Air-conditioning — Map (db m96248) HM
New York (Erie County), Evans — Burial Site of Asa Ames / Pioneer Cemetery 1810-1928
Burial Site of Asa Ames 1823-1851 Celebrated folk artist. His wood carvings are exhibited in many acclaimed folk art museums. Town of Evans Historical Society.

Pioneer Cemetery 1810-1928 Burial ground of early settlers in Evans . . . — Map (db m75199) HM

New York (Erie County), Evans — Dedicated to the Memory
Evans Township. Post #5798. Dedicated to the memory of all those from the Town of Evans who served our nation in war that we might live in everlasting peace. — Map (db m105703) WM
New York (Erie County), Evans — Graycliff — A Frank Lloyd Wright Masterwork — Architecture of the Coast —
Section Through Living Room. Glass walls make upper story float and lower story transparent. Terrace mimics cliff brink and makes sky part of the house. Stone extends through house. Stone sided esplanade connects house to cliff. 65' cliff . . . — Map (db m105644) HM
New York (Erie County), Evans — Major William C. Dudley — First Teacher of the Evans Center School
Ordered to join his regiment in the War of 1812, he dismissed school and rode to Buffalo. He was killed at the Battle of Black Rock, Dec 30, 1813. Erected by Evans Historical Society 1969 — Map (db m75306) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Evans — Site of First Town Hall
. . . — Map (db m105648) HM
New York (Erie County), Evans — The Historic First Church of Evans
The Historic First Church of Evans. Here, in 1818, Rev. John Spencer organized the first house of worship south and west of Buffalo, in the Town of Evans. The present colonial structure, with interior copied after the original, was erected . . . — Map (db m105617) HM
New York (Erie County), Evans — The White City — William J. Conners Poultry Farm — History of the Coast —
'The Greatest in the World' From 1907 to 1921 William Conners, propietor of the Buffalo Courier Express, built a poultry farm that ultimately covered 360 acres. Literature from the operation proclaimed;"...stretching away toward the lake . . . — Map (db m105702) HM
New York (Erie County), Gowanda — Bell Huey UH-1H Helicopter — Aircraft 67-17611
These brave crewmembers lost their lives while serving in Vietnam. They all served with the "Phoenix", C Company, 158th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army. "Phoenix" was their radio call sign, and all proudly wore the . . . — Map (db m104219) WM
New York (Erie County), Gowanda — Gowanda Historic Site
GOWANDA HISTORIC SITE. The village of Gowanda, incorporated in 1848, is located in two counties, Cattaraugus and Erie, divided by the Cattaraugus Creek. It was first called Aldrich Mills, and later Lodi. The first settler in 1810 was Turner Aldrich, . . . — Map (db m104217) HM
New York (Erie County), Gowanda — Gowanda Shrine Club No.1 — Est. Nov, 21, 1913
Home of Gowanda Shrine Club No.1 Est. Nov. 21 1913 The first and continuously~active Shrine Club in North America —·•·— This Landmark is dedicated as a symbolic foundation upon which all present and future Masons may build, set . . . — Map (db m104218) HM

552 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 152
Paid Advertisement