Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ulster County New York Historical Markers

 
Alton Brooks Parker Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., June 4, 2018
Alton Brooks Parker Marker
New York (Ulster County), Accord — Alton Brooks ParkerMay 14, 1852 - May 10, 1926
On U.S. 209 west of Whitfield Road, on the right when traveling west.

Principal of this school, 1870-71 Chief Judge of the New York State Court of Appeals, 1897-1904 Candidate for President of U.S.; 1904 — Map (db m118528) HM

New York (Ulster County), Accord — Rochester Church
On U.S. 209 0.2 miles east of Mettacahonts Road, on the left when traveling east.

Rev. Nucella preached, 1695 Log church built, 1700 2 stone churches, 1743, 1860 2 other churches burned Present, 6th on same spot — Map (db m118525) HM

New York (Ulster County), Accord — Tom Quick Farm
On U.S. 209 0.3 miles east of Mettacahonts Road, on the left when traveling east.

Home of Tom Quick, bought from Harmon Hekun, Indian, 1676: Quick was killed by Indians and his son slew many Red Men in revenge. — Map (db m118523) HM

New York (Ulster County), Accord — Training FieldSite Of
On U.S. 209, on the left when traveling south.
Colonial militia, in the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars, met for training in a field at this place — Map (db m131720) HM
New York (Ulster County), Ellenville — Civil War Memorial

Dedicated to the Soldiers and Sailors of the town of Wawarsing in grateful recognition of their services and sacrifices in defence of the Union 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m118482) WM

New York (Ulster County), Ellenville — Fantinekill Massacre MemorialIn Memoriam
On Main Street (U.S. 209) north of Aluminum Drive, on the right when traveling north.

Bevier Family Widow Elizabeth Bevier Age 62 Her Sons Solomon Age 29 • Josiah Age 23 —————— Sax Family Widow Johannah Sax Age 59 . . . — Map (db m118476) HM

New York (Ulster County), Ellenville — Frank B. HoornbeekIn Tribute to

Fantinekill Cemetery Association 1902-1949

whose vision and effort made this cemetery a memorial of beauty dignity and inspiration

This tablet erected by his friends May 30, 1950Map (db m118490) HM

New York (Ulster County), Ellenville — Glassworks Site
On Canal Street (County Route 52) at Edwards Place, on the right when traveling east on Canal Street.
Ellenville Glass Co. 1836-96 produced bottles, demijohns, fruit jars & insulators on a large scale employing up to four hundred hands. — Map (db m138683) HM
New York (Ulster County), Ellenville — Ulster County
On U.S. 209 8.5 miles north of New York State Route 17.
One of original counties of New York State, 1683, recieved its name from the Earldom in Ireland of James, Duke of York. — Map (db m30531) HM
New York (Ulster County), Esopus — Church of the Ascension
On U.S. 9W, on the right when traveling north.
Esopus Built 1842 — Map (db m57450) HM
New York (Ulster County), Highfalls — Delaware and Hudson Canal
On Main Street near 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east.
Delaware and Hudson Canal has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of . . . — Map (db m49088) HM
New York (Ulster County), Highfalls — Old Depuy House
On Main Street (New York State Route 213) at 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Built in 1797 by S. and A. Depuy, who kept a tavern here. — Map (db m47802) HM
New York (Ulster County), Highland — Town of Lloyd Organized
On New Paltz Road (County Route 12) 0 miles east of Pancake Hollow Road (County Route 15), on the left when traveling east.
First Town of Lloyd meeting held here May 6, 1845, Lloyd Township set off from town of New Paltz. Town pop. 1845 was 2035. — Map (db m28649) HM
New York (Ulster County), Highmount — Ulster County
On New York State Route 28, on the left when traveling west.
One of original counties of New York State 1683. Received its name from the earldom in Ireland of James, Duke of York. — Map (db m132111) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — Col. Charles De Witt
Near Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
Born       1727   ---   Died     Aug. 27, 1787 Patriot Statesman and Leader in the Revolution Member Colonial Assembly   1768–75 Provincial Convention   1775   Provincial Congress   1778–7 First Convention of State of New York and of . . . — Map (db m57735) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — General Washington
On Hurley Avenue (County Route 28) at Zandhoek Road, on the left when traveling south on Hurley Avenue.
was given a public reception here on his journey from West Point to Kingston, Nov. 16, 1782. — Map (db m57416) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — Hurley Main Street
On Main Street (County Route 29), on the left when traveling east.
Three hundred-year-old Dutch houses line this National Historic Landmark District. Hurley was the state capital from November – December 1777.Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m57414) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — Hurley Roadbed
On Main Street (County Route 29) at Schoolhouse Road, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Section of roadbed (now Rt. 28) between bluestone quarries of Glenford, West Hurley and Hurley and docks at Roundout Creek in 19th century. Grooves were worn by heavy wagons. — Map (db m57593) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — Old Guard House
On Main Street (County Route 29), on the left when traveling east.
Lieut. David Taylor, British spy, was confined in this house and hanged on an apple tree, October 18, 1777 — Map (db m57415) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — Old Guard House
On Main Street (County Route 29), on the left when traveling east.
This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United States Department of the Interior for its archives at the Library of Congress. — Map (db m57596) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — Old Mine RoadEsopus – Minisink Trail
On County Route 29 east of Schoolhouse Road, on the right when traveling east.
Indian trail connecting Deleware Valley with Hudson River. Used before and during Revolution. — Map (db m57425) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — Stone Road
On Main Street (County Route 29) at Schoolhouse Road, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Blue stone sections from the “Stone Road” now Route 28A. Used by wagons to transport bluestone from the quarries in Old West Hurley to the docks in Wilbur. Only the “down” track of the road was stoned. Wagon wheels were . . . — Map (db m57594) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hurley — Van Deusen House
On Main Street (County Route 29), on the left when traveling east.
built 1723 Temporary Capitol of State after burning of Kingston 1777. — Map (db m57423) HM
New York (Ulster County), Hyde Park — 231 — Walk To Freedom
On Floyd Ackert Road south of Park Lane, on the left when traveling south.
In Oct 1828 Sojourner Truth walked this road from West Park to Rifton leaving slavery behind for a life of freedom — Map (db m128018) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kerhonkson — Home of Johannes G. Hardenbergh
On U.S. 209 west of U.S. 44, on the left when traveling west.

Erected 1762. New York records deposited here Oct. 12, 1777 before Kingston was burned by the British — Map (db m118493) HM

New York (Ulster County), Kerhonkson — Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial
On Main Street east of 42nd Street, on the right when traveling east.

Dedicated to the memory of those who perished April 19, 1995 in the Oklahoma City bombing. — Map (db m118496) HM WM

New York (Ulster County), Kerhonkson — Site of Indian Raid
On U.S. 209 0.8 miles east of Samsonville Road, on the right when traveling east.

In colonial church which stood here, 1778, settlers fortified themselves, and successfully fought off attack of Indian raiders. — Map (db m118521) HM

New York (Ulster County), Kerhonkson — War Memorial
On Main Street east of 42nd Street, on the right when traveling east.

Dedicated to the Men and Women of the Rondout Valley who served in our wars — Map (db m118495) HM

New York (Ulster County), Kingston — “The Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the Town of Kingston in Ulster County”
On Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
This church organized in 1659 and chartered November 17, 1719 under His Majesty George King of Great Britain was served until December 1808 by pastors educated in the Universities of Holland and Germany who preached in Dutch. The first sermon by the . . . — Map (db m57576) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Mary Powell Bell
On E Strand Street at Broadway, on the left when traveling west on E Strand Street.
This bell, cast by the Meneely Bell Foundry in West Troy, New York, in 1861, came from the famous steamboat Mary Powell which operated on the Hudson River from 1861 to 1917. The Mary Powell ran between Rondout/Kingston and New York City and . . . — Map (db m59289) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — 20th New York State Militia[ 80th N. Y. Vol. ] — Ulster Guard —
On E Strand Street at Broadway, on the left when traveling west on E Strand Street.
Battle HonorsGainesville                   August 28, 1862 2nd Bull Run                August 30, 1862 Chantilly                       September 1, 1862 South Mountain           September 14, 1862 Antietam                      September 17, 1862 . . . — Map (db m58033) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — A Community AtticSenate House State Historic Site
On Fair Street, on the left when traveling south.
This Georgian Revival style museum was built in 1927 to house and display Senate House State Historic Site’s expanding collections. Today’s permanent and temporary exhibits showcase Hudson Valey decorative and fine arts, including works by such . . . — Map (db m57460) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — A Radical Idea: Government by the PeopleSenate House State Historic Site
On Clinton Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Consider the sacrifices made by ordinary citizens like Abraham van Gaasbeck, who risked his life, family, and property, when he offered his modest stone house as a meeting place for the first New York State Senate in September 1777. Would you have . . . — Map (db m57457) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Academy Green Statues
On Clinton Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
These statues were given to the City of Kingston by Emily Crane Chadbourne June 4th, 1959 — Map (db m57768) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Beginning of the State of New York
On Wall Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Society of the Colonial Dames of America place this tablet to mark the spot whereon was set in motion the Commonwealth of the State of New York on the thirtieth day of July in the year of Our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy Seven by . . . — Map (db m57567) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Bogardus Tavern
On Maiden Lane at Fair Street, on the left when traveling east on Maiden Lane.
Site of Bogardus Tavern First Meeting Place New York State Assembly September 10, 1777. — Map (db m57437) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Burning of Kingston
On Crown Street at Green Street, on the left when traveling north on Crown Street.
As a memorial to those citizens of • Kingston • because of whose patriotism the village was burned by the British forces under the command of Maj. Gen. John Vaughan on the 16th day of October • 1777 • ----------- This tablet is erected by one of the . . . — Map (db m109022) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Chambers Pear Tree1652 - 2002
On Broadway north of Strand Street, on the right when traveling north.
This Bartlett pear tree commemorates the original tree planted by Thomas Chambers, who in 1652 settled in this vicinity, which later became known as Rondout and Kingston. Upon his death, he was buried under this tree with a simple bluestone slab to . . . — Map (db m59285) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Dr. Cornelius C. Elmendorph House
On Main Street at Wall Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Pre-Revolution home of Old Dutch Church Conferentie family leader 1754 – 1772. Ulster County Medical Society founded in this building July 1, 1806 — Map (db m57501) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Fair Street Church
On Fair Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Congregation of the Fair Street Reformed Church meets here in the oldest public worship building in Kingston. Established as the Second Reformed Church of Kingston in January, 1849, the small group of 27 people originally met for worship in the . . . — Map (db m57762) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — George Clinton
On Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born July 26, 1739, Little Britain, N. Y. Married February 7, 1770, Cornelia Tappen Died April 20, 1812, Buried Washington, D. C. Ulster County Clerk,   1759 – 1812 Brigadier General,   Revolutionary War First Governor of New York State,   . . . — Map (db m57570) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — George Clinton
On Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
[ Lower Marker : ] George Clinton First Governor New York State 1777 – 1804 Vice-President United States 1804 – 1812 Honored by Wiltwyck Chapter D. A. R. [ Marker on Monument : ] To the Memory of George Clinton He . . . — Map (db m57573) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — George Washington
On Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
1732                     1932 In commemoration of the visit of George Washington to Kingston on the 16th of November, 1782 His reception by the Trustees of the freeholders and Commonalty of the Town and the Consistory of this church George J.L. . . . — Map (db m57574) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Hoffman House
On N Front Street at Green Street, on the left when traveling west on N Front Street.
Built by Nicholas Hoffman 1711 on part of Crown Grant of land made to his father Martinus in 1688. This is the northwest corner of the Old Stockade. — Map (db m57448) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Island Dock
Near W Strand Street, on the left when traveling west.
This man-made island was designed and constructed in 1848 by a local engineer, James McEntee, to store the coal shipped by D and H Canal from Pennsylvania. The coal was transferred by steam-operated elevators to river barges for shipment to New . . . — Map (db m59273) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Judge Lucas Elmendorf Mansion
On Green Street at Crown Street, on the left when traveling north on Green Street.
Built circa 1790 by this regent, turnpike builder, Associate of Thomas Jefferson. His election to Congress 1797 – 1803 was celebrated by a grand illumination of this house 1798. — Map (db m109023) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Kingston Academy
On Crown Street at John Street, on the right when traveling south on Crown Street.
Original site Kingston Academy Founded 1774 Moved to Academy Green 1830 Board of Trustees in service from 1795 to present. — Map (db m57442) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Kingston Academy
On Crown Street at John Street, on the right when traveling south on Crown Street.
This is the original building used as Kingston Academy when founded in 1774 Partially burned by British troops October 16th, 1777 — Map (db m57445) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Kingston Academy
On Clinton Avenue at Albany Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Clinton Avenue.
Founded 1774   Erected on present site 1830 Rebuilt 1883 Wm. M. Hayes • E. M. Brigham • W.E. Ostrandes • E.L. Westbrook • J.S.Burhans • Chas. Reynolds • H.D. Baldwin • Aug. Schepmoes • D.C. Overbaugh • M.T. Winchell Architect: Charles W. Romeyn . . . — Map (db m66925) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Kingston Operation Desert Storm Memorial
On Broadway, on the left when traveling east.
Dedicated to Kingston’s own Defenders of Freedom To the men and women of Kingston who served us so proudly in the armed forces during “Operation Desert Storm” We are forever grateful and proud. Presented by:       Citizens of . . . — Map (db m58039) WM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Louis CaterinoNo. 1 Boater       No. 1 Friend
On E Strand Street at Broadway, on the left when traveling west on E Strand Street.
Lou, fond of saying, “Just Relax,” had great concern for others. He often helped boaters in distress and could be seen retrieving broken-away docks. God saw fit to take him, but not before Lou had accomplished one more good and lasting . . . — Map (db m59290) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Medal of HonorStaff Sergeant Robert H. Dietz, U.S. Army — Co. A, 38th Armored Infantry Battalion —
On Municipal Stadium Road west of Joys Lane, on the left when traveling west.
CITATION:       “Sergeant Dietz was a squad leader with Company A, 38th Armored Infantry Battalion, on 29 March 1945, when the task force to which his unit was attached encountered resistance in its advance on Kirchain, Germany. Between . . . — Map (db m89857) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — New York State Assembly
On Fair Street at Maiden Lane, on the right when traveling south on Fair Street.
On April 23, 1977, a delegation representing the New York State Assembly returned to the site of the Assembly’s first meeting. — Map (db m57438) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — New York State’s Heritage Area System
On Broadway at W Strand Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.
What is a Heritage Area? A Heritage Area has a mission to Preserve its historic resources, Educate the general public as to these resources and their roles in the development of local government, provide varieties of Recreation for the . . . — Map (db m59278) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Old Blockhouse
On Main Street at Fair Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Site of Old Blockhouse Built 1658 — Map (db m57413) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Old Dutch Church
On Main Street at Wall Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
This church was burned by the British in 1777, restored, and later replaced. Governor George Clinton and some seventy soldiers are buried in its cemetery.Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m57412) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Old Dutch Church
On Main Street at Wall Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Site of first Old Dutch Church Built 1661 — Map (db m57446) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Old Stockade   1658
On Clinton Avenue at N Front Street, on the right when traveling north on Clinton Avenue.
Site of Old Stockade   1658 southwest bastion Plan of Stockade Fort (F) and Streets Kingston (Wiltwyck) 1658 — Map (db m57409) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — One Hundred and Twentieth Infantry New York Volunteers
On Main Street at Fair Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
To the undying renown of the rank and file of the One Hundred and Twentieth Infantry New York Volunteers. One of “Three Hundred Fighting Regiments” in the War for the Union. ---------- By the Colonel of the Regiment. ---------- 1896. [ . . . — Map (db m57582) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Patriots of the RevolutionRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
On Main Street at Wall Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
British Forces Burn Kingston Responsible for the security of Kingston, when the British burned the Village on October 16, 1777 – General Clinton wrote to General Gates that of the promised 3000 men, only 400 were sent. He concluded this . . . — Map (db m57490) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Plan of Kingston in 1695
On N Front Street near Green Street, on the left when traveling west.
The first European settlers came here between 1652-53 to farm the rich land in the lowlands along the Esopus Creek near the fields where Native Americans had grown maize for centuries. Friction between the settlers and the Esopus Indians mounted to . . . — Map (db m57546) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Plan of Kingston in 1695
On N Front Street at Green Street, on the right when traveling west on N Front Street.
The stockade was built in three weeks and stood 14 feet high. The settlers, about 70 took their houses and barns apart log by log, carted them uphill and rebuilt them inside the Stockade Area. The walled village was called Wiltwyck. Gates gave the . . . — Map (db m57547) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Rondout
On Broadway at W Strand Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.
Once a handful of homes and storehouses known as Kingston Landing, this area grew rapidly with the D and H Canal. Shipyards, foundries, stone quarries and brick yards sprouted along the Rondout Creek attracting Irish and German immigrants. The . . . — Map (db m59277) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Sampson Opera HouseFreeman Building
On W Strand Street, on the left when traveling west.
Originally built in 1875, as a mansard-roofed commercial building, this structure housed stores, a saloon, and on its third and fourth floors, an “opera house” for stage productions. After a fire ten years later, the fourth floor was . . . — Map (db m59276) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Sections of the “Old Stone Road”
On E Strand Street at Broadway, on the left when traveling west on E Strand Street.
          These two grooved sections of bluestone were once part of the “Stone Road” which was installed on the dirt roads that ran from the bluestone quarries in the Catskills, not far from Kingston, to the waterfront on the Rondout . . . — Map (db m59287) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Senate HouseState Historic Site
On Clinton Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
The State’s first Senate met here in the fall of 1777 until the city of Kingston was attacked and burned by the British.Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m57410) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Senate House
On Clinton Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m57439) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Senate House Museum
On Fair Street, on the left when traveling south.
Erected by The State of New York Cornerstone laid by his excellency Alfred E. Smith Governor of the State on the 150th anniversary of the organization of the first legislature at Kingston September 10th, 1927. — Map (db m57452) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Sojourner TruthCa. 1797 – Nov. 26, 1883
On Wall Street, on the right when traveling south.
          Famous slave of Ulster County, born in Hurley, N.Y. Though illiterate, this woman of indomitable character and intellect left her indelible mark as an eloquent condemner of slavery, from this court. By winning her lawsuit – the . . . — Map (db m57502) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Stuyvesant Indian Treaty
On Clinton Avenue at Albany Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Clinton Avenue.
May 15, 1664 Class ‘95 — Map (db m66926) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — The Delaware and Hudson Canal
On W Strand Street, on the left when traveling west.
The Rondout Creek at this site provided the tidewater terminal for the D and H Canal, a constructed water-way of 108 miles, completed in 1828. Starting at Honesdale, Pennsylvania, hundreds of flat canal boats carried millions of tons of coal, . . . — Map (db m59272) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — The Evolution of the Senate HouseSenate House State Historic Site
Near Clinton Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Wessel Ten Broeck, a Dutch immigrant to New York, built and owned what would become the Senate House. Although only portions of his 1676 house remain, Ten Broeck’s residence was probably a modest stone house with a steep gabled roof facing the . . . — Map (db m57461) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — The Loughran HouseSenate House State Historic Site
On Fair Street, on the left when traveling south.
This Italianate style house was designed by John A. Wood and built in the early 1870s for Dr. Robert Loughran (1834 – 1899) as an office and residence. A surgeon during the Civil War, Dr. Loughran settled in Kingston and became active in . . . — Map (db m57462) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — The Pike Plan1976
On Wall Street at John Street, on the left when traveling north on Wall Street.
Uptown Kingston conceived and designed by John Pike for urban renewal His talented designs defeated urban blight and preserved the character of an older era for all to enjoy. — Map (db m57563) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — The Rondout Creek Suspension Bridge
Near W Strand Street, on the left when traveling west.
Between the 1840’s and early 1920’s ferries were used to transport people and vehicles across the Rondout Creek. The last was a chain ferry affectionately nicknamed the “Skillypot”, Dutch for tortoise, apt for both its appearance and . . . — Map (db m59274) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — The Stockade Historic District
On Wall Street at John Street, on the right when traveling north on Wall Street.
The Stockade Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1975 — Map (db m57565) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — The West Strand
On W Strand Street, on the left when traveling west.
This row of nineteenth buildings is all that remains of a once thriving river port commercial center. The Mansion House at the corner of Broadway, once a 100 room stage stop and hotel, offered modest accommodations to travelers and canallers. The . . . — Map (db m59275) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Ulster County Civil War Monument
On Broadway, on the left when traveling east.
To the Soldiers and Sailors of the County of Ulster in the War for the Union 1861 – 1865 Their grateful fellow citizens — Map (db m58034) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Van Keuren Homestead
On St. James Street, on the right when traveling east.
Burned by British Oct. 17, 1777. Rebuilt and occupied by direct descendants of original owner since then. — Map (db m57432) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Van Leuven Mansion
On Wall Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling south on Wall Street.
Fred J. Johnston American Antiques Museum The house was built circa 1812 by NY State Senator John Sudam, who hosted Washington Irving and Martin Van Buren as guests. The Van Leuven family purchased the house circa 1880 and it then became known as . . . — Map (db m57500) HM
New York (Ulster County), Lake Katrine — Kingston AreaHistoric New York
On New York Thruway (Interstate 87), on the right when traveling south.
          Dutch Settlers at Esopus were troubled by hostile Algonquin (Esopus) Indians, who were finally pacified by Governor Peter Stuyvesant in 1658. In 1661 Wiltwyck, later Kingston, was settled and remained strongly Dutch after the English . . . — Map (db m56706) HM
New York (Ulster County), Lake Katrine — The Senate House – 1676Clinton Avenue, Kingston — Historic New York —
On New York Thruway (U.S. I-87), on the right when traveling south.
          The Senate House is so called because the first elected Senate of the State of New York met in this building on the morning of September 9, 1777.           Colonel Wessel Ten Broeck built this house for his home in 1676 in the tiny . . . — Map (db m75635) HM
New York (Ulster County), Malden — Hudson ValleyHistoric New York
On New York Thruway (Interstate 87) south of County Route 34, on the right when traveling south.
          Following Henry Hudson’s voyage in 1609, the Dutch in 1614 established a trading post near the future site of Albany; permanent settlement was made at Fort Orange (Albany) in 1624. Esopus (Kingston) was settled in 1653 and other villages . . . — Map (db m56703) HM
New York (Ulster County), Marbletown — Davis Tavern
On U.S. 209 0.4 miles north of Marcott Road, on the left when traveling north.

For many years before and after the Revolution, the public business of the Town of Marbletown was transacted here. — Map (db m118541) HM

New York (Ulster County), Marbletown — War Memorial
On Main Street (U.S. 209) at Leggett Road, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Dedicated to the Men and Women of the Town of Marbletown who devotedly served their country

· World War I · [Died in Service] Howard Frame

[Honor Roll of Veterans]

· World War II · [Died in Service] . . . — Map (db m118535) WM

New York (Ulster County), Marlboro — Gomez Mill House
On Mill House Road east of U.S. 9W, on the left when traveling east.
Wolfert Acker bought the house in 1772 and hosted weekly meetings to encourage neighbors to support the Revolution and join his company of Minute Men militia.Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m57426) HM
New York (Ulster County), Marlboro — Presbyterian Church & Cemetery
On U.S. 9W (U.S. 9W) 0.2 miles from County Road 14 (County Route 14), on the left when traveling south.
Presbyterian Church & Cemetery Founded 1764 Built at this site on land given by Louis DuBois Present church built in 1869 Plaque: Revolutionary soldiers buried here. — Map (db m28777) HM
New York (Ulster County), Milton — War Memorial
On Main Street east of Milton Turnpike (County Route 10), on the right when traveling east.

Dedicated in honor of the men and women of this village who answered the call of their country in all the great wars

Milton, N.Y. May 30, 1958 — Map (db m130569) WM

New York (Ulster County), Modena — Newburgh AreaHistoric New York
Near New York Thruway (Interstate 87 at milepost 66), on the right when traveling south.
Palatine German refugees from the religious wars of Europe settled on these river banks in 1709, and Dutch and French Huguenots followed. During the Revolution, control of the Hudson River was important for British strategy and for American defense. . . . — Map (db m48669) HM
New York (Ulster County), Napanoch — DeWitt House
On U.S. 209 south of River Street/Irish Cape Road, on the left when traveling south.

This house is on original cellar of home of Egbert DeWitt, whose daughter Maria was mother of DeWitt Clinton First governor of New York. — Map (db m118491) HM

New York (Ulster County), Napanoch — Napanoch Station
On Institution Road 0.1 miles east of US Route 209 (New York State Route 55), on the right when traveling east.
Site of N.Y., Ontario & Western Railway Ellenville & Kingston Branch 1902-1957. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places 1999. Erected by Eastern N.Y.C.F.Map (db m138678) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — 1799 House
On Huguenot, on the right when traveling north.
Built by Ezekiel Elting as a home and store. Original gambrel roof destroyed in 1888 blizzard. 1968 purchased by LeFevre Family Assoc. Maintained by HHS and LeFevre family. — Map (db m5737) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Bevier House
On Huguenot Street at Broadhead Street, on the right when traveling north on Huguenot Street.
Built by Louis Bevier, the patentee, in 1698. Elting homestead from 1740. This house has an interesting sub-cellar. — Map (db m5722) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Deyo House
On Huguenot Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built by Pierre Deyo, one of twelve original patentees of New Paltz, in 1692. — Map (db m5712) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Die Pfalz
On 6 Broadhead Ave, on the right when traveling west.
A French Huguenot Village governed by "The Dusine", a body of 12 men chosen annually. For 100 years the only form of government. — Map (db m133428) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Dubois House
On Huguenot Street, on the right when traveling south.
The fort built in 1705 by Daniel Dubois. Site first redoubt. There are port holes in the east end. — Map (db m5713) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Freer House
On Huguenot Street.
Built 1720 by Hugo Freer, one of twelve original patentees of New Paltz. The Low House after 1732. — Map (db m5726) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Hasbrouck House
On Huguenot.
Built 1712, by Abraham, the patentee, once soldier in English Army, friend of Gov. Andros. Kitchen scene of cock fights. — Map (db m5728) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Home of Hendrikus DuBois
On Albany Post Road (County Road 7) 0.3 miles west of Yankee Folley Road.
Built 1775 on lands bought from Esopus Indians on December 28, 1678, by his grandfather, Louis Dubois, Patentee of New Paltz — Map (db m23100) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Jean Hasbrouck House
On Huguenot Street at North Front Street, on the right when traveling south on Huguenot Street.
Built in 1712, by the patentee; now home of The Huguenot Patriotic, Historical and Monumental Society, since 1899. — Map (db m5710) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — New Paltz
On Main Street (New York State Route 299) near North Front Street, on the right.
Founded 1678. Six houses built by Huguenot refugees from France, original patentees, before 1720 are on Walkill River. — Map (db m5706) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — New Paltz
On North Front Street, on the right when traveling west. Reported missing.
Founded 1678. Six houses built before 1720 are on Huguenot Street, on the Walkill River, homes of refugees from France. — Map (db m5708) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — New Paltz
On Huguenot Street at North Front Street and Huguenot Street, in the median on Huguenot Street.
Founded 1678. Six houses built before 1720 are on Huguenot Street, on the Wallkill River, homes of refugees from France. — Map (db m133422) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — New Paltz Patentees
On Huguenot Street at North Front Street on Huguenot Street.
To the Memory and in honor of- Louis DuBois Christian Deyo Abraham Hasbrouck Andre LeFevre Jean Hasbrouck Piere Deyo Louis Bevier Anthoine Crespel Hugo Frere Issac DuBois Simon LeFevre The New Paltz Patentees, who, driven by religious persecution . . . — Map (db m29444) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Stone Church-1773
On Huguenot Street, on the right when traveling south.
First Stone Church, 1717. Services in French to 1753, Dutch language to 1800. Church corner stone seen at south wall of portico. — Map (db m5732) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Walloon Church
On Huguenot, on the right when traveling north.
Site of Walloon Church Built of logs, first church-school, 1683, first church of stone 1717. Called "Our French Church". Precursor Reformed Church. — Map (db m5736) HM
New York (Ulster County), Olivebridge — Olivebridge
On New York State Route 213, on the right when traveling south.
United Methodist Church. Congregation formed circa 1810, building erected 1823. Rebuilt 1867, after a fire. We welcome you to attend! — Map (db m132148) HM
New York (Ulster County), Olivebridge — To Honor
On Atwood-Olivebridge Road, on the left when traveling north.
The men and women of this community who by their patriotism and loyalty served God and country in the wars of our nation. Dedicated May 30, 1978 — Map (db m132150) WM
New York (Ulster County), Phoenicia — Mount Tremper Fire Tower
On New York State Route 214 at Main Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 214.
A majestic fire tower stands on the summit of Mount Tremper. For many decades, Fire Tower Observers perched in the steel cab at the top of the tower watched for forest fires. Now the volunteers of the Catskill Fire Tower . . . — Map (db m132245) HM
New York (Ulster County), Phoenicia — Phoenicia Station CentennialUlster & Delaware Railroad — 1899-1999 —
Near High Street 0.1 miles east of Bridge Street, on the left when traveling east.
National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m136095) HM
New York (Ulster County), Pine Hill — Elm Street Stone Arch Bridge1897
On Elm Street north of Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built by Matthew G. Thompson has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1996 — Map (db m136223) HM
New York (Ulster County), Plattekill — Newburgh AreaHistoric New York
On New York State Thruway (Interstate 87), on the right when traveling north.
          Palatine German refugees from the religious wars of Europe settled on these river banks in 1709, and Dutch and French Huguenots followed. During the Revolution, control of the Hudson River was important for British strategy and for . . . — Map (db m56698) HM
New York (Ulster County), Plattekill — Washington’s HeadquartersLiberty and Washington Streets, Newburgh — Historic New York —
On New York State Thruway (Interstate 87), on the right when traveling north.
          General Washington came to the farm home of the Hasbrouck family in Newburgh on April 1, 1782. He occupied the house until August 19, 1783, while his troops were encamped at Temple Hill, a few miles away.           These were trying . . . — Map (db m56697) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — 224 — 1869 Lighthouse
Near Lighthouse Drive.
Situated 0.5 mi east. Marks Hudson River shoals and the entrance to Saugerties Harbor on the Esopus Creek. Replaced 1835 lighthouse — Map (db m132584) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Brick Church
On Livingston Street, on the right when traveling west.
Built 1827. Used for worship until 1852, then sold for use as an academy. Later known and used as Burhans Blacksmith Shop — Map (db m134286) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Catskill MountainsHistoric New York
On New York State Thruway (Interstate 87), on the right when traveling north.
          The deep ravines, irregular ridges and rocky slopes of the Catskill Mountains long remained wild and desolate. Small settlements began in mountain valleys before the American Revolution. After the war, population grew steadily as New . . . — Map (db m56699) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Flatbush Reformed Churchof Saugerties N.Y.
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling south.
Organized June 9, 1807. Building erected 1808. — Map (db m132628) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Glasco Turnpike
On County Route 33 at New York State Route 32, on the right when traveling east on County Route 33.
Road from early glass works on the upper Sawkill, to shipping point on Hudson, above Rondout. Named for sign on company's warehouse. — Map (db m132541) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — In Honor
On Main Street (U.S. 9W) at Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Of all those from the Town of Saugerties who served their country in the World War 1914-1918 — Map (db m132640) WM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Kiersted House
On Main Street.
of Pre-Revolutionary days. Home of Dr. Christopher Kiersted, first physician in town, rendered service during Revolutionary War — Map (db m129457) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Lutheran Church
On U.S. 9W, on the left when traveling north.
Organized in 1710 by the Palatines. First pastor Rev. Joshua Kocherthal. First church site near present church. — Map (db m129482) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Post Tavern Site
On Main Street, on the left when traveling east.
Used as Patriots meeting place during Revolution. Articles of Association signed here. Religious services held here 1815-29 — Map (db m129451) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Sawyer's Mill
On Malden Avenue (U.S. 9W) at Sawyer Kill, on the right when traveling north on Malden Avenue.
Stood on this site 1663. Saugerties derived its name from the Dutch word “De Zaagertjes”. State Education Departement 1936Map (db m127887) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Schoonmaker Homestead
On Main Street at Malden Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
Elder Katsbaan Church, member of General Committee of Articles of Association. Occupied continuously by descendants. Pre-Revolutionary House — Map (db m129462) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Catskill Mountains - Shandaken AreaHistoric New York
On New York State Route 28 at Mt. Pleasant Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 28.
The deep ravines, irregular ridges and rocky slopes of the Catskill Mountains long remained wild and desolate. Small settlements began in the mountain valleys before the American Revolution. After the war, population grew steadily as New Englanders . . . — Map (db m132152) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Catskill Water Supply SystemCity of New York
On New York State Route 28, on the right when traveling west.
The Shandaken Tunnel here delivers water from the Schoharie Reservior. The tunnel is 18- ¼ miles long, 11 feet 6 inches high, 10 feet 3 inches wide, and passes 2630 feet below Balsam Mountain. This tunnel has a carrying capacity of 600 million . . . — Map (db m132114) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Fort Shandaken
On New York State Route 28, on the right when traveling north.
During the Revolutionary War, a log fort stood near this spot to defend Kingston from enemy attack — Map (db m132135) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shokan — Old School Baptist Meeting House
On New York State Route 28 at Reservoir Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 28.
Church organized in 1799 as the Tongore Baptist Church of Christ. Present ediface erected in 1857. — Map (db m132145) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shokan — Shokan Reformed
On New York State Route 28 at Church Street, on the left when traveling west on State Route 28.
Church organized in 1799. Original site now below Ashokan Reservoir. Present ediface dedicated on September 14, 1913. — Map (db m132139) HM
New York (Ulster County), Ulster Park — Lighthouse ParkEsopus Meadows Lighthouse
On River Road (County Route 24) 1.4 miles east of Broadway (U.S. 9W), on the right when traveling east.
Welcome. From this site, you can see the Esopus Lighthouse, which was built to warn captains of the shallow water or flats to the west. The present lighthouse was constructed in 1871 and closed in 1965, when automated lights replaced the . . . — Map (db m127881) HM
New York (Ulster County), Ulster Park — Sojourner Truth1797-1883
On River Road at Broadway, on the left when traveling south on River Road.
A slave here at Martinus Schryver's tavern: 1808-1810. Speaker-activist on abolition, women's rights & temperance. — Map (db m127589) HM
New York (Ulster County), Walker Valley — Walker Valley
On New York State Route 52 at Marl Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 52.
Originally named Jamesburgh Renamed Walker Valley – 1862 Home to Delaware Indians until the late 1700’s Dutch settled in mid 1700’s — Map (db m136989) HM
New York (Ulster County), Wallkill — 349 — Andries DuBois
On Wallkill Avenue south of Dubois Street, on the left when traveling north.
House built ca. 1769. Burned in late 1700s rebuilt ca. 1814. Later remodeled in Greek Revival style ca. 1845 — Map (db m132779) HM
New York (Ulster County), Wallkill — Washington’s HeadquartersLiberty and Washington Streets, Newburgh — Historic New York —
On New York State Thruway (Interstate 87 at milepost 66) near the Route 32 overpass, on the right when traveling south.
General Washington came to the farm home of the Hasbrouck family in Newburgh on April 1, 1782. He occupied the house until August 19, 1783, while his troops were encamped at Temple Hill, a few miles away. These were trying months while a peace . . . — Map (db m385) HM
New York (Ulster County), Wawarsing — Site of Long House
On U.S. 209 at Geary Drive, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 209.

At foot of high bluff stood Indian Council House destroyed by Capt. Kregier August 31, 1663 — Map (db m118492) HM

New York (Ulster County), West Park — John Burroughs
On Broadway (U.S. 9W) at Park Lane, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.
→ 1½ miles westward is “Slabsides”, Rustic cabin of the poet-naturalist, where he spent much time in the late 90’s and early 1900’s. — Map (db m57451) HM

136 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement