On East Callaghan Street at South Main Street, on the right when traveling east on East Callaghan Street.
Fort Stockton's first hotel of significance. Built 1900. Adobe, with "gingerbread" trim. Large verandas, dining room, parlors, guest rooms.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
(Supplemental Plaque) . . . — — Map (db m138957) HM
On West James Street, on the left when traveling south.
After Federal evacuation at start of Civil War, occupied by 2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On far western frontier defense line. Supply post for troops going to and from Arizona-New Mexico campaign 1861-1862, designed to make . . . — — Map (db m63592) HM WM
Near North Rooney Street at East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north.
Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the Civil War and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by oxcart. The Guard House consisted of . . . — — Map (db m56547) HM
Near North Williams Street north of East 4th Street, on the right when traveling south.
When Fort Stockton was rebuilt in 1867 to protect the route to El Paso, seven homes were erected for officers' families. Built with rock foundations and thick adobe walls, the structures faced the parade ground. Nearby were located corrals, carriage . . . — — Map (db m81871) HM
On East Callaghan Street at South Main Street, on the right when traveling west on East Callaghan Street.
Part of Old Fort Stockton; built in 1880's. Hangout for cowboys and hotel guests. Later a store and post office.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Entered in the National . . . — — Map (db m138958) HM
On North Spring Drive 0.2 miles west of U.S. 285, on the right when traveling south.
About 1910 a railroad stop named Hovey was established about 40 miles west of here on the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad. By 1913 Hovey contained a depot, post office/general store, and several stock shipping pens. Hovey school was . . . — — Map (db m138959) HM
On South Spring Drive east of South Rooney Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built 1870's of field stone. Herman Koehler in 1884 opened saloon at one end, general store and bank at other. Later second story was added.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 — — Map (db m138960) HM
On North Rooney Street at East 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on North Rooney Street.
Kentucky native Oscar Waldo Williams (1853-1946) graduated from Harvard with a law degree in 1876 and moved to Texas in search of a drier climate. He worked as a land surveyor as the South Plains opened for settlement and in 1884 accepted a job as . . . — — Map (db m138961) HM
On North Main Street (Farm to Market Road 1053), on the right when traveling north.
Located in the petroleum-rich Permian Basin, Pecos is one of the most prolific oil-and gas-producing counties in Texas. The petroleum business here began about 1900 with the drilling of the Turney well near an ancient "seep", a traditional local . . . — — Map (db m138962) HM
On North Water Street at East 8th Street, on the left when traveling north on North Water Street.
Burial ground for soldiers stationed at Fort Stockton and for civilians in the little town that grew up around the post. The fort was established 1859; temporarily closed 1861-1867.
Troops here protected the San Antonio-San Diego mail line and . . . — — Map (db m82348) HM
On East Dickinson Boulevard (Business Interstate 10) 0.5 miles west of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling west.
Formed from Presidio County
Created May 3, 1871
Organized March 9, 1875
On March 9, 1875, the following
county officers were elected:
George M. Frazer, Chief Justice
Cesario Torres, Commissioner
Francis Rooney, Commissioner . . . — — Map (db m136354) HM
Used as a watering place and camping ground by Indians since pre-Columbian times, the springs were possibly visited about 1536 by Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca on his wanderings through Texas. The expedition of Juan de Mendoza, with his party of Spaniards . . . — — Map (db m73285) HM
On South Main Street at West James Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
Established on the Comanche Trail, March 23, 1859, as a protection to the San Antonio-San Diego mail route. Named in honor of Commodore Robert Field Stockton, 1795-1866, who captured California for the United States. A stage stand on the San Diego . . . — — Map (db m84320) HM
On South Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Efforts to establish a Catholic church in the area began shortly after the Civil War when Fort Stockton was reoccupied by United States troops. The first services were conducted in 1872 by Father Claude Jaillet and Father Adolfo Guichon. . . . — — Map (db m138963) HM
On East 2nd Street at North Spring Drive, on the left when traveling east on East 2nd Street.
Originally constructed at Pecos (54 mi. NW) in 1896, this building served the congregation of St. Mark's Episcopal Church. In 1958 it was sold to members of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church of Fort Stockton and moved to this site. Located on property . . . — — Map (db m80279) HM
On Interstate 10 2 miles east of Farm to Market Road 2023, on the right when traveling east.
Replica of San Antonio and San Diego overland stage coach stop. This building was constructed of the stone from the original site which is ½ mile south-east of this location near Tunis Springs. The remains of a large Comanche Indian camp still . . . — — Map (db m73308) HM
On Horse Head Road 3.1 miles north of Farm to Market Road 11, on the right when traveling north.
Here crossed the undated Comanche Trail from Llano Estacado to Mexico. In 1850 John R. Bartlett while surveying the Mexican boundary found the crossing marked by skulls of horses; hence the name “Horse Head”. The Southern Overland Mail . . . — — Map (db m53225) HM
On State Highway 349 at Pine Street, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 349.
Spanish explorers traveled Indian trails here in the Pecos River Valley as early as 1590. Later, U.S. Cavalry, a camel train, and stage and mail lines between San Antonio and San Diego, California, used the route.
Nearby Pecos Spring attracted . . . — — Map (db m138875) HM