Constructed by the U.S. Army in 1942, Combat Team Camp Atlantic Beach was the headquarters of the Harbor Defenses of Jacksonville during World War II. The camp was tasked with defending Florida’s Atlantic coast from Axis invasion following the . . . — — Map (db m106306) HM
This marker commemorates the French Huguenot landing near this site on May 1, 1562, and their lives as colonists on the land until 1565. Hoping to escape religious persecution in Western Europe, the Huguenots set sail to this . . . — — Map (db m120345) HM
Ft. George Island presents a cross-section of the Florida story. Timucuan Indians inhabited this island when French explorer Jean Ribault landed nearby in 1562. A Spanish mission was established here before 1600 to serve the Timucuans. Known to the . . . — — Map (db m58377) HM
(Upper left plaque)
National Register Site
Ribault Club Inn
(Lower left Plaque)
Ribault Club Inn
Has Been Placed On The
National . . . — — Map (db m58614) HM
The establishment of missions chiefly for the purpose of Christianizing the Indian population was one of the methods used by Spain in attempting to colonize Florida in the sixteenth century. The Mission of San Juan del Puerto was founded in the . . . — — Map (db m21654) HM
St. George Episcopal Church, designed by Robert S. Schuyler and built in 1882, is a fine example of Carpenter Gothic, one of the most distinctive varieties of church architecture. Such churches were promoted by Floridas second bishop, John Freeman . . . — — Map (db m58981) HM
Midway A.M.E. Church was organized on Sunday, June 10, 1865, a few weeks after the Confederate Army in Florida surrendered to the Union Army. It was thus the first black independent church organized in Florida. William G. Steward was sent to Florida . . . — — Map (db m59094) HM
On November 24, 1909 the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" reached the "Turn Around Checkpoint" at the Jacksonville City Hall which was located at this exact site. The location marked the halfway point for the "Drivers and . . . — — Map (db m58574) HM
On these grounds, May 6-9, 1914, the United Confederate Veterans celebrated their 24th annual reunion. Expecting no more than 25,000 reunion goers, the city was nearly overwhelmed when an estimated 70,000 visitors including 8,000 Veterans converged . . . — — Map (db m73952) HM
On Saturday, August 27,1960, 40 Youth Council demonstrators from the Jacksonville Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) advised by local civil rights leader Rutledge H. Pearson (1929-1967), sat in at the . . . — — Map (db m58011) HM
Historic references to the plantation house on Fort George Island are tantalizingly brief. The first detailed descriptions of the house and structural changes were recorded in the 20th century. From this vantage point, you can see the changes that . . . — — Map (db m40536) HM
Pioneer Abraham Lincoln Lewis (1865-1947) and others founded Florida’s oldest African-American insurance company, Afro-American Life in 1901, which spread throughout the South as far as Texas. In 1926, A.L. Lewis opened Lincoln Golf and Country Club . . . — — Map (db m58382) HM
The birthplace of African-American archaeology can be traced to Kingsley Plantation, where archaeologists in 1968 first began to search for artifacts that reflected African identity. Many of the slaves that lived here during Zephaniah Kingsley's era . . . — — Map (db m40852) HM
Artifacts recovered by archaeologists provide clues as to who these enslaved African men, women and children were. This is most easily recognized within the realm of spirituality or religion, which is resistant to change. However, the physical . . . — — Map (db m41193) HM
In May 1777, 400 soldiers from the Continental Army and 165 members of the Georgia militia organized in Sunbury, Georgia, just north of the Florida border for an expedition into British East Florida in retaliation for raids conducted by British . . . — — Map (db m93071) HM
Founded in 1866, Edward Waters College (EWC) is the oldest historically black college in Florida. The history of the college is closely tied to the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. In 1865, the Reverend Charles H. Pearch, a presiding elder . . . — — Map (db m93073) HM
To the Soldiers of Florida
This shaft is by a comrade raised in
testimony of his love, recalling deeds
immortal, heroism unsurpassed.
With ranks unbroken, ragged, starved
and . . . — — Map (db m59799) HM
In Memory of my
shipmates of the
Torpedo Boat David
Charleston S.C. Oct 5, 1863
Lieut. W.T. Glassell, C.S.N.
Pilot W.J. Cannon, C.S.N.
Fireman Jas.Sullivan, C.S.N.
James . . . — — Map (db m57587) HM
Born 1784-Died 1854. Captain Mounted Rangers, War of 1812.
1813-1815, U.S. Congressman from Kentucky
1821-1822, U.S. Judge, Eastern Florida.
1822-1834, First Civil Governor of Territory of Florida.
1838-1839, Member, Constitutional . . . — — Map (db m57597) HM
Proudly the citizens of Duval County
pay tribute to the men and women
who made the supreme sacrifice
in the Viet Nam conflict.
May their sacrifice merit God's
blessing of a permanent peace
for our nation. May 30, 1974
This flame . . . — — Map (db m58445) WM
Duval County, established August 12, 1822, and named for William Pope DuVal, Florida's first civil governor, held its first court on December 1, 1823. Some 200 settlers gathered at the corner of Market and Forsyth Sts. to watch the session presided . . . — — Map (db m92951) HM
1887 1987 [100th Anniversary Medallion]
On June 8, 1887, a group of Florida pharmacists met in Jacksonville at the Board of Trade rooms located at the corner of Adams & Main Streets for the purpose of organizing a state pharmaceutical . . . — — Map (db m59096) HM
The Afro-American Insurance Company, formerly the Afro-American Industrial and Benefits Association, was founded in 1901 to provide affordable health insurance and death benefits to the state's African-Americans. Founded by the Reverend E.J. Gregg, . . . — — Map (db m59633) HM
"[The Spaniards] made a horrible, tragic slaughter of our forces, so great was the anger and hatred they had for our nation. They vied with one another to see who could best cut the throats of our people..." 1565 la Caroline carpenter . . . — — Map (db m46573) HM
Captain Frederick W. Bruce, for whom Bruce Park is named, was born in New Hampshire in 1856. In 1869 young Bruce was sent to live with his uncle Elisha Bruce in St. Augustine, Florida, but that same year, at age 13, ran away to sea, an adventure . . . — — Map (db m93090) HM
The King's Road, built by the British prior to the American Revolution, began at the St. Mary's River, passed through Cowford (Jacksonville), crossed the St. John's River, it is believed, at present day Liberty Street, approximately one mile east of . . . — — Map (db m60398) HM
Though originally centered around the Theater District of New York City, silent film production companies soon discovered New England winters too harsh for year-round filming. In the winter of 1908 cast and crew of the production company Kalem . . . — — Map (db m93088) HM
On May 3, 1901 at 12:30 p.m., a fire began at the Cleaveland Fibre Factory, ten blocks northwest of this site. Chimney embers ignited sun-dried moss to be used as mattress stuffing. Fueled by wind and dry weather, the fire roared east destroying . . . — — Map (db m58013) HM
Jean Ribaut and a party of Huguenots landed the morning of May 1, 1562 on this island. Here they knelt in prayer, beseeching God's guidance and commending the natives to his care. This was the first Protestant prayer in North America. — — Map (db m40024) HM
Born 1903 in Kissimmee, Florida. Graduated from University of Florida College of Law 1926. Practiced law,
Jacksonville, Florida, 1926-39. Assistant State Attorney, Fourth Judicial Circuit of Florida, 1933-39. Judge, Duval
County Criminal . . . — — Map (db m60012) HM
The plantation house symbolizes the owners and their freedom. The cabin ruins stand behind you as a testament to the enslaved and their lives of forced labor.
Explore the plantation grounds and discover the stories of plantation owners and . . . — — Map (db m40007) HM
In the spring of 1814, Zephaniah Kingsley relocated his family to this sea island plantation. Over the next two decades he developed his controversial views on race, society, and slavery.
Kingsley was a successful businessman who had strong . . . — — Map (db m40035) HM
The plantation era was a time in our history of opportunity, political contradictions and great cruelty.
For planters, like Zephaniah Kingsley, it was a time for amassing land and wealth. For enslaved Africans who produced the wealth it was a . . . — — Map (db m40085) HM
Imagine ... instead of the empty historic building and peaceful riverfront of today, a slave owner's family sits watching from the porch of their comfortable home as cargo-laden boats pass by on the river.
Breezes off the water cool the . . . — — Map (db m40043) HM
Imagine...instead of a lush green landscape of today, a long dusty road stretches to the slave cabins and field beyond.
Bent over cotton plants, under the hot sun with dust-filled air, enslaved people toil day in and day out amidst the odor of . . . — — Map (db m40077) HM
David Solomon Hill Miller, Englishman, first settled near here in 1799 and married Anna Hogans Bagley, widow, owner of a Spanish land grant of 300 acres west of this creek. D.S.H. Miller served Spain as Capt. Rural Militia of the St. Johns River, . . . — — Map (db m59097) HM
"After... two months... Ribault made port in New France... [where] he discovered a very large and beautiful river ... Ribault erected a column of hard stone on the banks of this river ... The coat of arms of France was carved upon it." René . . . — — Map (db m46575) HM
While Jacksonville bustled with the activity of motion picture filming during the years 1908 through 1916, by the early 1920s little of the industry remained in town. However, over on Laura Street in the Springfield section of Jacksonville, brothers . . . — — Map (db m93419) HM
Built in 1885 as a private residence, Old Brewster Hospital and Nursing Training School was the first medical facility to serve Jacksonville’s African-American community. Located in the LaVilla neighborhood, the hospital opened in 1901 through the . . . — — Map (db m93261) HM
Confederate Plot Section Six is the final resting place for the Confederate Veterans who
resided at the Old Soldiers and Sailors Home, a refuge for aged and disabled Veterans. The Florida Soldiers Home
Association was formed in 1888 with . . . — — Map (db m57549) HM
Constructed in c. 1887, the Old Philips Congregational Church is one of the few remaining structures dating from the old Philips Community. Later erased by twentieth century sub-divisions, this rural 19th century community was named after Albert . . . — — Map (db m59098) HM
Located two miles from downtown Jacksonville, south of Craig Creek in San Marco, Oriental Gardens charmed Jacksonville visitors and residents for nearly two decades. In 1925, George W. Clark began planting overflow from his botanical collection on a . . . — — Map (db m93100) HM
Dating back to the 1840's, the Philips-Craig Swamp Cemetery was a community burial ground for the old Philips settlement originally located along both sides of Old Kings Road (St. Augustine Road). Later erased by twentieth century subdivisions, this . . . — — Map (db m59099) HM
The St. Johns River provided trade access that supported the economy of the Fort George Island plantations. Cotton and sugar from the plantations were transported on the river to trading posts. Early Spanish . . . — — Map (db m106389) HM
Cash crops, like sea island cotton, indigo, and sugar cane, made a profit for the owner. Other crops, like potatoes, okra, and yams, fed the families of both owners and slaves.
Sea island cotton was highly prized because of its long, strong, . . . — — Map (db m40143) HM
The exploitation of enslaved people differed throughout the Americas. However, the bottom line was profit for the owner, while for the slave it was loss of freedom.
Slaves were possessions. They were viewed as a valuable commodity to be bought . . . — — Map (db m83539) HM
(Front): This is a replica of the marker placed on or near this spot by Jean Ribaut May First 1562 in taking possession of Florida for France. (Back): Erected by the Florida Daughters of the American Revolution May First 1924 . . . — — Map (db m46578) HM
With the opening of the St. John's River Bridge in 1921, South Jacksonville became attractive to developers during the Florida land boom. In 1925, Jacksonville real estate developer Telfair Stockton began work on San Marco, an 80-acre . . . — — Map (db m93303) HM
Sawpit Bluff Plantation, located on Black Hammock Island, was built in the 1750s by Edmund Gray. The plantation was named for the sawpit excavated to accommodate the up and down motion of a vertical saw blade. The plantation house . . . — — Map (db m92973) HM
The founders of Second Missionary Baptist Church worshipped at Bethel Baptist Church with their slaves masters in the 1830s. They built their first separate wooden sanctuary in 1848 in the African American neighborhood of LaVilla. The first . . . — — Map (db m101663) HM
Approximately 15 miles up river from this point, the Union transport Maple Leaf was destroyed by a Confederate mine during the early morning hours of April 1, 1864. The Maple Leaf sank to the bottom of the St. Johns River after hitting . . . — — Map (db m58347) HM
This narrow part of the St. Johns River, near a clear freshwater spring was a crossing point for Indians and early travelers. The Indian name Wacca Pilatka, meaning "Cow's Crossing", was shortened by the English to Cow Ford, and Jacksonville was . . . — — Map (db m58715) HM
On March 1, 1864, ten days after the Confederate Victory at Olustee, Union and Confederate forces met along this road in a running skirmish. The fight started 2 to 3 miles west of here, 10am, when Union forces advanced out of Camp Mooney (Ellis Rd.) . . . — — Map (db m63832) HM
Constructed nearly 200 hundred years ago, these cabins were home to enslaved people. Following emancipation, former slaves lived here and worked the land. Slowly, individuals and families moved away, leaving the buildings to fall into ruin. . . . — — Map (db m40543) HM
Slaves actively resisted bondage by purposefully slowing down their work pace, faking illness, or even mutilating themselves in order to lessen their value as human property.
Resisting the inhumanity of their enslaved condition, slaves . . . — — Map (db m40657) HM
In front of you are the remains of 25 cabins, the homes of 60 to 80 men, women, and children. These people had the strength to survive the misery of slavery.
Before dawn, slaves left for their day's labor, or to use their specialized skills. . . . — — Map (db m40689) HM
The island's landscape has changed dramatically since the plantation era. Gone are the roofs, fruit trees, wells, and garden plots. Trees and grasses now replace fields once tilled by slaves.
To be a slave was to be a human being under . . . — — Map (db m40847) HM
The slave quarters were a place to find identity and strength through family, faith, and shared experiences.
Many American traditions originate from the daily activities and beliefs of enslaved people. Practices that survive today revolve . . . — — Map (db m41248) HM
From the earliest age, children were trained to do their parents' work. They were terrified of the punishment their parents endured. Parents taught their enslaved children strict obedience so they could survive. And yet, like children today, they . . . — — Map (db m41272) HM
You are standing at the edge of two worlds. You are leaving the world of the owner and entering the world of the slave.
The cabin ruins before you are a vivid testament to the generations of slaves who lived there. On them depended the . . . — — Map (db m40120) HM
500 Spanish soldiers from St. Augustine marched four days through marsh, forest tangle, fierce wind, and heavy rainfall to an encampment near here. Exhausted and hungry they rested in a downpour; at dawn they attacked and captured France's Fort . . . — — Map (db m46579) HM
This original sanctuary of the St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church is one of the few remaining institutional buildings directly associated with the old community of Hansontown. Originally a farming cooperative established for black Union soldiers, . . . — — Map (db m92954) HM
During the sixteenth century, France was determined to expand its empire. Spain, the world's leading power, already had a foothold in the Americas, and France wanted to share of the riches the Spanish were gaining through trade and plunder. France's . . . — — Map (db m46574) HM
Many crops were grown on the plantation, but sea island cotton produced the highest profit. Growing and processing it required a complex work structure.
The task system was used to manage the many specialized requirements of sea island cotton . . . — — Map (db m40499) HM
Here at the foot of Market St. stood a bay tree which served as the starting point for the original survey of Jacksonville in June 1822. Market was the first street laid off and named. A total of 20 squares were platted, bounded by Ocean, Duval, . . . — — Map (db m58012) HM
"Every one of us - noblemen, soldiers, workmen, sailors - worked hard to get our post ready to shelter us from the weather and protect us against enemies." Jacques le Moyne, 1564 la Caroline colonist and artist Measuring a piece of . . . — — Map (db m46572) HM
In 1562, when France was being torn by religious strife, Gaspard de Coligny, Admiral of France, sent two vessels to the New World in search of a refuge for the oppressed Huguenots. Leading the expedition was the Huguenot explorer, Jean Ribaut, who . . . — — Map (db m33486) HM
(Top) 1861 In Memory of the Women of Our Southland 1865
Let this mute but eloquent
structure speak to generations
to come, of a generation of
the past. Let it repeat
perpetually the imperishable
story . . . — — Map (db m58820) HM
This frame vernacular house was built in 1928 for Doane Martin Mungen, Sr. (1872-1948) and his wife Mary Elizabeth Mungen (1874-1955). It is located in the Oakland neighborhood, which was platted in 1869, and emerged in the 1870s as a working class . . . — — Map (db m58750) HM
"[H]aving landed [on the River of May's shore]... we saw the chief of that country, ... he ... showed such enthusiasm that he almost lost his composure. He came up to us... repeating ...'friend, friend.'" Captain René de Laundonnière, 1564 . . . — — Map (db m46555) HM
"[The Timucuans] brought us grains of roasted maize,... smoked lizards or other wild animals... and various kinds of roots, some for foods, others for medicine. And when they discovered that we were more interested in metals and minerals, they . . . — — Map (db m46571) HM
Bound by the Nassau River, the Atlantic Ocean, and the St. Johns River, the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve seeks to protect much of the water and undeveloped land you see from here. Salt marsh, coastal hammock, tidal creeks, and sea and . . . — — Map (db m46576) HM
Mechanical Engineering Landmark
United States Railroad Administration Locomotive Atlantic Coast Line Class P-5a 4-6-2 No. 1504 1919
During the World-War I emergency, American railroads were placed under the . . . — — Map (db m59100) HM
Musicians Ronnie, Donnie, and Johnny Van Zant spent their formative years growing up in this house with their sisters and parents between the 1950s and 1980s. A serendipitous foul ball hit by Ronnie Van Zant at a nearby park struck future bandmate . . . — — Map (db m120254) HM
Villa Alexandria, built in the 1870s as the winter home of Alexander and Martha Mitchell of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, once stood near here. Martha Mitchell's brother, Harrison Reed, served as Florida Governor from 1868-73 and lived nearby on the south . . . — — Map (db m93119) HM
A Confederate earthworks designed and located by General Robert E. Lee as one of a series of forts for the defense of the Saint Johns River. This fort was occupied by both Confederate and Union forces during the course of the war and is today in its . . . — — Map (db m33458) HM
In 1912, following the drowning of a prominent citizen, Dr. Lyman Haskell and Clarence MacDonald established and trained Florida’s first U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps (VLSC) at this location to protect the lives of bathers on Jacksonville Beach . . . — — Map (db m93262) HM
The Beaches Museum Chapel, also known as the old St. Paul's Episcopal By-The-Sea, is one of the oldest remaining structures at the Beaches. It was built in 1887 two blocks south of this location and two blocks south from the ocean in what is now . . . — — Map (db m107836) HM
Aviation pioneers were attracted to Northeast Florida's hard, wide beaches. Pablo Beach, as Jacksonville Beach was known until 1925, served as takeoff or terminal point for several early coast-to-coast flights. The first of these, in 1912, required . . . — — Map (db m57600) HM
In 1883 construction of the Jacksonville and Atlantic Railroad was begun to serve this undeveloped area. The track was narrow-gauge, running 16.54 miles from the south bank of the St. Johns River to the beach. The first settlers were William Edward . . . — — Map (db m57599) HM
The Mayport Depot was built in 1900 for the Florida East Coast Railway when Henry Flagler expanded the line running up to Mayport from a narrow gauge track to a standard gauge track. The new standard gauge line also provided transport for people . . . — — Map (db m107837) HM
The Oesterreicher-McCormick Homestead was built in 1873, and is one of the oldest remaining homes in the Beaches area. The building is a rare example of cracker-style architecture that was used in Florida. One of the main features of this . . . — — Map (db m108134) HM
The Pablo Beach FEC Foreman’s House was built in 1900 by the Florida East Coast Railway after it was bought by Henry Flagler. The house was built for the use of the local section foreman and his family, and represents a standard design used by the . . . — — Map (db m108179) HM
The Pablo Beach Post Office was built in 1903, and used as the post office for the area until 1908. While this building was in use, the town was known as Pablo Beach until 1925 when it was renamed Jacksonville Beach. This building was the first . . . — — Map (db m108217) HM
Porter wood burning locomotive
representing type of engine
employed during the 1880's on the
St. Johns Railway, St. Augustine's
first passenger line - chartered
in 1858 and in active operation
until 1894. Donated to City . . . — — Map (db m60201) HM
This marker commemorates the attack on the USS Gulfamerica on April 10, 1942, during World War II (1941-1945) by a German U-boat just off the coast of Jacksonville Beach. The Gulfamerica, a merchant marine vessel, was on her maiden . . . — — Map (db m57687) HM
Situated on the St. Johns on a portion of the Fairbanks Grant, this congregation was organized in 1867. The church was completed in 1883 under the Rev. C.M. Sturgess, a mission priest assigned to the St. Johns Valley. The church was regularly . . . — — Map (db m62322) HM
In 1867, Mrs. Harriet Beecher Stowe and her husband Calvin bought thirty acres of the Fairbanks Grant in Mandarin which served as their winter home until the winter of 1883-1884. The move to Florida was due to plans for philanthropy among the . . . — — Map (db m62490) HM