Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Genesee County New York Historical Markers

 
The only other burial marker here image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 24, 2015
The only other burial marker here
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Basom Plot — First known burial, 1838
Deeded to: "Trustees of the Burying Ground in School District #8", Town of Alabama, by Rev. Augustus Warren & his 2nd wife Maria, May 19, 1842. To all those buried here - May You Rest in Peace. — Map (db m86682) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) - Endangered in New York — Iroqouis National Wildlife Refuge — Seaway Trail - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Buffalo Audubon Society
Black Terns nest in New York State in just a few marshes along the south and east shores of Lake Ontario. This is the southern edge of their breeding range, They are more abundant in the upper midwest, but the special habitat we manage here suits . . . — Map (db m75906) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Burial Ground — Circa 1820 - 1900
First known burial 1829. Final resting place of many early settlers of the Town of Alabama. — Map (db m77581) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Feeder Canal
Tonawanda Feeder Canal supplied water for the Erie Canal, Shelby mills, and Village of Medina power 1824-1919. — Map (db m72111) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Schafer Farms
Schafer Farms Beginning in 1919 three genreations of the Shafer family, led by Emil, John, and Paul, produced potatoes on this property for 92 consecutive years. — Map (db m103561) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Town of Alabama
Est. 1826. originally named Gerrysville, was changed to Alabama in 1828. Hamlets are Alabama Center, Basom, South Alabama & Wheatville — Map (db m39586) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Welcome to Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge
Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1958 under the authority of the Migratory Bird Conservation Act for "...use as an inviolate sanctuary, or for any other purpose, for migratory birds." The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service manages . . . — Map (db m76339) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alexander — Cobblestone School — 1837
. . . — Map (db m39594) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alexander — First Library
The Alexandrian Library was the first in Genesee County and was founded in 1811 by Alexander Rea, Noah North, Ezra Osborn & Sebe Brainard — Map (db m39593) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Batavia
Seat of Holland Land Office. This City was founded in 1801 by Joseph Ellicott, local agent of Holland Land Company — Map (db m75849) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Benjamin Ellicott
Benjamin Ellicott was born in Bucks County, Penna., April 17th, 1765. Died at Williamsville, N.Y. December 10th, 1827. The history of his life is closely connected with that of the western portion of this state. Together with his brother Joseph, . . . — Map (db m83100) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — 300 — Birthplace of Emory Upton
Birthplace of Emory Upton 1839 - 1881. West Point graduate. U.S. Army General and Civil War veteran. Influential military author & stategist — Map (db m126158) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Capt. Charles F. Rand — In Memory of — 1839 - 1908
A native Batavian who once lived at No. 4 Liberty Street. Charles Franklin Rand is officially recognized by the Congress of the United States as the first person to answer President Lincoln's appeal for volunteers in the Civil War on April 15, 1861. . . . — Map (db m39635) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Cary House Site
Cary House Site Location of mansion ca 1817 to 1964, a gift to his wife by Trumbull Cary, merchant, bank founder, NYS Senator, & first Batavia treasurer. — Map (db m83068) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Centennial Park
Commemorating One Hundred Years of educating blind students in Batavia at the New York State School for the Blind - First Opened in September of 1868 — Map (db m39634) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Early Cemetery
Early Cemetery in village of Batavia on this site deeded August 10, 1820. Bodies were re-interred to other cemeteries in Batavia — Map (db m94895) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Genesee County
Formed from Ontario County on March 30, 1802 Originally comprised all of New York State west of the Genesee River — Map (db m39636) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Genesee County Courthouse — Erected 1841
. . . — Map (db m39637) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — In Memory of the Soldiers Sailors and Marines of Genesee County
[front] Major General Upton In memory of the soldiers sailors and marines of Genesee County. [right] Battles of World War - Apr.6, 1917-Nov.11, 1918 Cambrai · Somme · Lys · Aisne · Cantigny · Belleau Wood · Chateau-Thierry · Montdidier-Noyon · . . . — Map (db m83077) WM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Jos. Ellicott
Born - 1760 Died - 1826 Surveyor - Land Developer Agent of Holland Land Co. Land Office - Batavia, N.Y. Family Monument (200' East) — Map (db m83417) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Joseph Ellicott
Joseph Ellicott was born in Bucks County, Penna., November 1st, 1760. Died at New York, August 19th, 1826. He was the first resident agent of the Holland Land Company for whom in 1798 he began the survey of the western part of the state then . . . — Map (db m83098) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Paolo Busti Monument
[front plaque] Monument dedicated in Paolo Busti Park October 27, 1984 by the Paolo Busti Cultural Foundation of Genesee County.

Paolo Busti's contribution to the development of WNY has been overlooked. His foresight and business acumen . . . — Map (db m75752) HM

New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Sacred to the Memory of Wm. Morgan
[south] Sacred to the memory of Wm. Morgan, a native of Virginia, a Capt. in the War of 1812, a respectable citizen of Batavia, and a martyr to the freedom of writing, printing and speaking the truth. He was abducted from near this spot in the year . . . — Map (db m83079) HM WM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — The Batavia Club
Formerly Bank of Genesee First Bank West of Genesee River Built in 1831 Architect builder Hezekiah Eldredge National Register of Historic Places 1973Map (db m39632) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Town of Batavia
Established March 30, 1802 originally included the entire Holland Purchase, 3.3 million acres in Western New York — Map (db m39640) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bergen — Bergen Village
1810 Buell's Corners - Tavern General, Shoe, Tailor shops Blacksmiths, Hotel, Church 1832 Bergen Corners 1877 inc. with Wardville — Map (db m58027) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bergen — Town of Bergen
Bergen chartered 1813 Part of Morris Reserve-Triangle and 100,000 tracts Rt. 19 opened 1801. Bergen Swamp - National landmark — Map (db m58025) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bergen — Village of Bergen
National Historic District Laid out as Wardville 1840s Railroad forwarding station destroyed by fire 1866 & 1880 incorporated as Bergen 1877 District Registered 1985 — Map (db m58026) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bergen — Ward Park — Est. 2010
Named for Deacon Levi Ward whose family settled here in June 1807. His son, Dr. Levi Ward, was the first supervisor and assemblyman of Murray, a portion of which was named Bergen in 1813. Dr. Ward was responsible for mail delivery, road, canal, . . . — Map (db m58042) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bethany — Bethany Town Hall / Bethany World War II Memorial
Bethany Town Hall built 1832. Over the years used as church, academy and Town House.

Dedicated to those of the Town of Bethany who gave their lives in World War II. John R. Despard, MMM 2/C; Leonard E. Fuller, 1st. Lt.; Clifford L. Hale, Pvt.; . . . — Map (db m75202) HM WM

New York (Genesee County), Bethany — County Forest — 1885 1935
First county forest in the state. Begun in 1915 by Genesee Co. 159,500 trees were planted here on poor farm lands prior to 1935. — Map (db m77564) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bethany — In Honor of Those Who Served in Vietnam
A living memorial in honor of those who served in Vietname. Living, deceased and those unaccounted for. Army - Air Force - Navy Marines - Coast Guard — Map (db m77563) WM
New York (Genesee County), Bethany — In Memory of George F. Fleming
He instigated the first tree planting in 1915. He continued annual planting for many years. This was the beginning of the Genesee County Park. — Map (db m77572) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bethany — Poor House
Site of Genesee County's poor house for the care of indigent people. Opened in 1827 with a home and a farm containing 106 acres — Map (db m75745) HM
New York (Genesee County), Byron — Byron Museum
German Lutheran Concordia Church erected 1889 Donated to town 1966 for historical museum. — Map (db m65929) HM
New York (Genesee County), Corfu — First United Presbyterian Church — Corfu, N.Y.
Rev. Hugh Wallis organized the First Presbyterian Church of Pembroke July 1, 1817. In 1829 Andrew Harroum gave a quarter acre of land for this church building which was completed in 1831 by a congregation of 78 members. The church bell was cast in . . . — Map (db m76058) HM
New York (Genesee County), Corfu — The Holland Purchase — Historic New York
The Holland Land Company was organized by six banking firms in the Netherlands to purchase the unsettled land of western New York State. Their agent, Theophile Cazenove, in 1792-93 bought more than three million acres, known as the Holland Purchase. . . . — Map (db m57082) HM
New York (Genesee County), Elba — Elba Mucklands
The rich black soil wascreated by draining the OakOrchard & Tonawanda Swampsin 1915 by the Western NewYork Farms Company. — Map (db m77611) HM
New York (Genesee County), Elba — In Memory of John Young — 1775 - 1836 — Elba's First Settler 1803
. . . — Map (db m79068) HM
New York (Genesee County), Elba — Local War Hero — Sunderland Pattison d.1843
Sunderland Pattison d.1843 Revolutionary War soldier Crossed the Delaware River December 1776 with General George Washington — Map (db m83121) WM
New York (Genesee County), Elba — Methodist Church
Methodist Church Erected in 1834 by Rev. Isaac Foster and 25 charter members under the Meth. Prot. faith on land deeded by Asa & Mary Babcock. It was united in 1939. — Map (db m83122) HM
New York (Genesee County), Elba — The Southworth
. . . — Map (db m77683) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — First Jell-O Factory
In 1897, Pearle Bixby Wait of Leroy, introduced a gelatin dessert that his wife, May, named Jell-O. The first four flavors were strawberry, raspberry, orange and lemon. In 1899, he began production of Jell-O in a factory building located near this . . . — Map (db m41526) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — Le Roy House
Built before 1812 as a land office for the Triangle Tract. Deeded to Union Free School District 1911. — Map (db m41528) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — The Jell-O Company — 1900-1964
Orator F. Woodward, owner of the Genesee Pure Food Company bought the rights to Jell-O from P.B. Wait in 1899 for $450. Production of “America's most famous dessert” began in 1900 at the Genesee Pure Food Company factory located on this . . . — Map (db m41527) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — Underground Railroad Route
Escaping slaves traveling to Canada on the Covington Route crossed the road here on their way to meet LeRoy's conductor, Daniel McDonald, known as the "Medicine Man." His station was near the Keeney Road Cemetery. — Map (db m41531) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Ganson Tavern
First settlement between Genesee River and Buffalo Tavern conducted by Charles Wilbur 1793 Capt. John Ganson 1797 — Map (db m65237) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Herman Le Roy's Mill
Here the natural water power potential of Old Buttermilk Falls determined not only the village site, but in 1803, the erection of Stoddard and Platt's Pioneer Grist Mill. In 1822 Herman Le Roy, for whom the town was named, replaced this with a much . . . — Map (db m58065) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Ingham University
On this campus Marietta and Emily Ingham of Saybrook, Connecticut, founded Le Roy Female Seminary, which became, by charter on April 28, 1857, the first university for women in the United States, granting degrees in the humanities, fine arts and . . . — Map (db m57315) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Ingham University Campus — Site of First Women's University
Founded by Marietta and Emily Ingham in 1837, as the Le Roy Female Seminary; incorporated in 1852 as the Ingham Collegiate Institute; chartered in April 28, 1857 as Ingham University with a literary college, college of fine arts, and the . . . — Map (db m57316) HM
New York (Genesee County), Leroy — Keeney House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117043) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Roswell Parmelee
Genesee County's only known French & Indian War veteran Pioneer of Stone Church Died 1811 age 72 buried in Fort Hill Cemetery Le Roy — Map (db m57317) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Site of Log School House
Built in 1805 by first settlers Alexander McPherson 1801 Francis LeBarron 1804 Philemon Nettleton 1804 Gideon Forgdham 1804 — Map (db m57399) HM
New York (Genesee County), Leroy — Site of the First School
Site of the first school west of the Genesee River. Built in 1801. The first teacher was Miss Luseba Scott. — Map (db m117040) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Statue of Liberty Replica
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty 40th anniversary — Map (db m108724)
New York (Genesee County), Leroy — The Steeple / The Church
The Steeple Upon entering the village of LeRoy, one of the first sights to be seen is the steeple of the First Presbyterian Church. This was erected in 1866 following a vote by the congregation in 1854 to replace the original bell tower. . . . — Map (db m117042) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Town of LeRoy
Established on June 8, 1812 as the town of Bellona Renamed Le Roy in 1813 First town meeting on this site April 6, 1813 — Map (db m57401) HM
New York (Genesee County), Oakfield — In Honor of the Men Who Served in the Great War
USA USMC USN This tablet is erected by the Town of Oakfield in honor of the men who served in the Great World War [names listed] In memory of those who gave their lives. [names listed] — Map (db m76197) WM
New York (Genesee County), Oakfield — Site of Cary Collegiate Seminary
Site of Cary Collegiate Seminary, a private school founded on July 4, 1840 by Colonel Alfred Cary who also opened the first store in 1833. — Map (db m65928) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pavilion — In Honor of Citizens Who Served in the World War
Erected by the Town Of Pavilion in honor of its citizens who served in the World War 1914 - 1918. Dedicated 1920 *John D. Arnett +Mary E. Fagan Ray E. McWethy • George Patridge • Carl Curry • Leo Aldridge • Robert J. Graham • Joseph . . . — Map (db m76205) WM
New York (Genesee County), Pavilion — To Honor All Veterans Who Sacrificed Their Lives
1985. Dedicated by the Town of Pavilion to honor all of the veterans who sacrificed their lives.

World War I John D. Arnett.

Korean War John Vagg.

Vietnam War George Fry.

World War II Daniel Connor • Alvin Hettrick • William Leight • . . . — Map (db m76207) WM

New York (Genesee County), Pavillion — Town of Pavillion
Formed from Covington, Wyoming Co., May 19, 1841. In 1842, a portion of the townships of Le Roy & Stafford were annexed. — Map (db m57400) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — 1800 Brick House 1963
1800 Brick House 1963 ——·•·—— John and James Richardson settled at the crossroads of two Indian trails in the early 1800's, building a log structure to be used for a tavern. The people fleeing from the burning of Buffalo, . . . — Map (db m77807) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — General Ely Samuel Parker 1828-1895 — "Do-Ne-Ho-Ga-Wa" Grand Sachem Chief — "Keeper of the Western Door of the Long House of the Iroquois"
Son of William and Elizabeth Parker, born in a log cabin overlooking the water-falls, at Indian Falls, N.Y., then part of the Tonawanda Indian Reservation. Volunteered into the army, and became General Grant's Military Secretary. He was instrumental . . . — Map (db m76082) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — Morrot's Boulder Amusement Park
1949-1970 site of original Hershell Merry-Go-Round designed by Emily Bourgard & home of Sam Herrington's miniature steam train. Genesee County Bicentennial. — Map (db m75594) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — Old Buffalo Road Cemetery
Established early 1800's from Isaac Barden Farm. Early pioneers and Civil War Burials. — Map (db m75653) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — Pioneer Cemetery
Deeded in 1850 to Town of Pembroke by John Ellicott for a burial ground. Rev. War soldier Samuel Huntington Buried Here. — Map (db m75598) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — Site of First Permanent Settlement
Site of first permanent settlement ? Town of Pembroke ? David Goss, coming from Massachusetts in 1804, took up land on the Holland Purchase. His dwelling, which he converted into a tavern, was the first Public House in the Township. . . . — Map (db m126162) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — Town of Pembroke — 175 Years
175 Years 1812 Town of Pembroke 1987 ———·•·——— PEMBROKE, or O-a-geh (On the Road) as the Indians referred to it, is located in township 12, Ranges 3 & 4 of the Holland Purchase, and was named for Pembroke in . . . — Map (db m77725) HM
New York (Genesee County), Stafford — East Boundary
East boundary Holland land purchase 3.3 million acres Transit line ran N.& S. from PA. to Lake Ontario Surveyed between 1798-1800 — Map (db m77687) HM
New York (Genesee County), Stafford — In Honor of Our Boys Who Served in the World War — 1917 - 1919
Erected by the Town Of Stafford, A.D. 1923, in honor of our boys who served in the World War. 1917 ———— 1919 — Map (db m77684) WM
New York (Genesee County), Stafford — Memorial Honor Roll World War II
Memorial•Honor•Roll•World War II• "Forever honour'd. Forever mourn'd" Homer 1941-1945 Stafford Honor Roll — Map (db m77686) WM
New York (Genesee County), Stafford — Pottery & Drain Tile Factory
. . . — Map (db m77664) HM
New York (Genesee County), Stafford — Stafford Village Four Corners
Site of first settlement on the Holland Purchase in 1798. Originally known as Transit. The name was changed to Stafford in 1841 following settlement by a colony of Devonshire English people. The buildings of historic and architectural interest are . . . — Map (db m77720) HM
New York (Genesee County), Stone Church — Bergen Museum
Bergen Museum of Local History. Opened in 1966. Built as frame two-room school house in 1843. Covered with stucco 1918 Last used as school in 1957. — Map (db m57313) HM
New York (Genesee County), Tonawanda Indian Reservation — Treaty of 1857
On Nov. 5 a treaty between the U.S. and the Tonawanda Seneca at the Meeting House restored about 8000 acres to the Tonawanda Senecas. — Map (db m77771) HM

76 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.