In 1886, seventeen-year-old John Adam Schreiber stoked the fire, wound the clock by climbing up and straddling the vault door, filled in for the cashier at lunch, and slept in the bank as the night watchman. He became the bank President in 1922. He . . . — — Map (db m124836) HM
The city's two-story brick Market House, at this location, had outdoor scales and indoor stalls for selling meat and produce. City office were on the second floor. This building served as city hall from 1886 to 1979. In 1886, the city fathers . . . — — Map (db m124833) HM
Meyer Jewelry was founded in 1834 by Ludwig Meyer, a clockmaker from the Kingdom of Hanover. His family continued in the jewelry business until 1966. During all those years, the clock that Meyer had made in Germany and brought with him aboard the . . . — — Map (db m124851) HM
Built by F. W. Gatzweiler and remodeled by his son Charles, this building has been home to such diverse businesses as Union Electric Light and Power, St. Charles Business College, The Cosmos Monitor newspaper office, and Mary Gatzweiler's Elegant . . . — — Map (db m124834) HM
"Like many of the better people of St Charles County, Henry B. Denker is a native of Hanover." Henry Denker served as Mayor of St. Charles, V.P. of the Union Saving Bank, and President of the St. Charles [Railroad] Car Company; he also owned . . . — — Map (db m124852) HM
Sophia and Julius Quade continued the tin manufactory business that her father, Frederick Buschman, began in 1850. Sophia Quade purchased this property in 1876 for $4309 from her mother who stipulated that the property be "for her [daughters's] . . . — — Map (db m124835) HM
When John Platz built this building in 1863 for his grocery and his daughter's dressmaking shop, he actually owned only half of his north wall and only half of his south wall. The practice of sharing walls was not usual in St. Charles, and these . . . — — Map (db m124831) HM
The "Queen of Main Street" was built by the Odd Fellows Hall Association in 1878 on the site of the city's former Concert Hall which had been destroyed by a tornado in 1876. Banks were important tenants; they were very visibly the center of the . . . — — Map (db m124832) HM
"The first term of the Court of Common Pleas in and for the District of St. Charles was held on the first Tuesday in January, 1805, in the house of Dr. Antoine Reynal on the site of the present courthouse." The "present" courthouse of . . . — — Map (db m124826) HM
The old three-story brick City Hotel that served the city from 1852-1907 was replaced by the new St. Charles Savings Bank Building in 1908. The bank incorporated in 1867 and continues today as the First State Bank. — — Map (db m124853) HM
Before the Civil war, this was the cabinet shop of George Baumann, a young German cabinetmaker. By 1906, it had become the St. Charles Steam Laundry. "Of course a laundry is a washhouse, but when you take into consideration the fact that the St. . . . — — Map (db m124854) HM
Behind this 1914 Art Deco tile and marble facade is one of the oldest buildings on the street, the Masonic Hall. The lodge held its last meeting on July 17, 1861. "About this time , we came under the dark Cloud of War between the North and . . . — — Map (db m124830) HM
This was the site of one of three flourishing mills on North Main during the second half of the 19th century. St. Charles County produced over a million bushels of wheat in 1879. The old mill was closed in 1896, and the building was rebuilt as a . . . — — Map (db m124855) HM
In the 1860s, A. R. Huning's Dry Goods store occupied the street level of this shop, and Goebel's Photography occupied the second floor. Rudolph Henry Goebel, a German immigrant, photographed St. Charles and her citizens from 1856 to 1916.
In . . . — — Map (db m124829) HM
An earlier two-story structure, known as the Old Benne Building built by Joseph C. Easton circa 1840, was replaced by this building in 1882. The new Second Empire /Italianate building with its parade balcony and bracketed cornices and pediments was . . . — — Map (db m124825) HM
A river ferry operated from the east bank of this block in the early 19th century. In order for a man to claim the lost whiskey in an 1820 advertisement, he had to prove ownership and pay the ferryman for the ad, "Found: Barrel of Whiskey, Chauvin's . . . — — Map (db m124859) HM
Emil Weil bought two brick buildings on this site that were joined with a common wall that separated a tailor shop from a meat market. When Weil raised the old buildings to rebuild, he kept the functionality of the common wall, which separated his . . . — — Map (db m124856) HM
Francis Oberkoetter, a prosperous shoe manufacturer from Hanover, Germany, built this Italianate "Oberkoetter Business House" building in 1867. His son-in-law operated the Mackenzie Hotel and Dining Room on the second floor. After becoming owner of . . . — — Map (db m124857) HM
"John Schulze, Sanitary Plumber: Plumbing, Gas-fitting, and Sewering, Hot water heating for dwelling houses a specialty." St. Charles City Directory, 1912.
John Schulze did plumbing work to modernize St. Charles including sewering & . . . — — Map (db m124860) HM
The St. Charles Lighting Company was organized in 1871. By the next year, it had doubled its business, burning 10,000 bushels of gas-grade coal to supply 135 private customers and 59 city street lamps. "Do not think for one minute that gas is a . . . — — Map (db m124861) HM
Over the years, this Italianate building was home to The Demokrat, a German language newspaper; the Gustave Hucker Bakery; and the Charles E. Meyer Pharmacy and Ice Cream Parlor. J. H. and W. A. Bode, who owned The Demokrat from 1864 to 1916, . . . — — Map (db m124862) HM
German shoemaker Valentine Zerr leased this building to the Bell Telephone Co. for $40 per month from 1909 to 1928. Local and long-distance calls were connected manually on the switchboard. Operators were required to have a good voice and good . . . — — Map (db m124863) HM
Dr. Albin Morgner rented this former three-story building to his son-in-law A. R. Huning for $1100 a year. Huning Dry Goods operated continuously in St. Charles on North Main Street from 1860 until 1998.
In the late 1940's and 1950's this . . . — — Map (db m124869) HM
The decorative facade, with elaborate stone window surrounds and stone quoining, invites comparison to the fancy sugar pastries and candies sold here from 1879 to 1909 by Henry Pfeiffer, a confectioner from Braunschweig, Germany.
Henry . . . — — Map (db m124864) HM
This 1906 Renaissance Revival building with its Italianate pressed metal ornamentation at the windows and cornice replaced the burned out Central Mill built in 1866 and the old Constitutional Presbyterian Church built in 1845. Rechtern bought the . . . — — Map (db m124868) HM
Ahmann's Newsstand and the Quality Hat Shop shared this double-front building in 1903. The Craftsman/Art Deco yellow glazed brick facade was added in 1934 when the newsstand expanded. The building may date to 1865. — — Map (db m124865) HM
Thro & Company Clothing, formerly a 137 N. Main (shown above), has been owned and managed by the Thro family since 1898 when Jean Baptiste Thro, Sr., and his nephew Jean Baptist Thro, Jr., founded the clothing store. J.D. Thro, Senior's Unlce . . . — — Map (db m124866) HM
This Italianate building with elaborate wood bracketed cornices has been described as a "structure unsurpassed in the quality of dignity." It has been home to Walter's Jewelry since 1935. From 1906 until 1935, Edward Schubert, pianist, composer and . . . — — Map (db m124867) HM
"Mr. Murry, the melodious and congenial proprietor of the Electric, has spared no time or money to make the Electric a place of entertainment and amusement to all who would kill time and troubles in a most enjoyable manner." One popular movie . . . — — Map (db m124872) HM
Longtime tobacco man, North Carolinian Silas Wright, owned the St. Charles Tobacco Company. By 1900, tobacco manufacturing had become a science. Wright flavored his company's plug and twist tobacco with licorice and other spices.
Built in 1898 . . . — — Map (db m124873) HM
The railroad brought touring companies including vaudeville shows, to the opera houses of America. The 1902 production of Uncle Tom's Cabin required two sixty-five foot special cars for the lavish sets and costumes. Tickets were twenty-five, . . . — — Map (db m124874) HM
Henry Brocker was a house decorator, sign painter, and artist from Prussia. He specialized not only in wallpapering, but also graining, a technique that imitated expensive wood, and calcimining, a special whitewash for plastered ceilings. Brocker . . . — — Map (db m124876) HM
In 1909, the St. Charles Coal & Ice Company made and delivered "artificial ice" for twenty-five to forty cents per hundredweight. If the customer "desired heat instead of cold," they delivered coal for three dollars a ton. Residents of . . . — — Map (db m124877) HM
The pantaloon skirt on display in the window created a crowd. Bloomers, introduced in the 1850s, were loose fitting trousers worn by women under a mid-calf length skirt. Pantaloons, introduced at the turn of the century, were worn without skirts, . . . — — Map (db m124878) HM
The first coal-powered incandescent light company in St. Charles started operation in 1894. Service was available evenings and nights only. Who needed electric lights during the day? Eventually, daytime service was made available so that customers . . . — — Map (db m124882) HM
When Bavarian brewmaster Jacob Moerschel owned this building, he rented it out as a saloon. Moerschel's White Pearl muenchner, and lager and beers were served, "manufactured directly therefrom the coolness and clearness of the nectar of the . . . — — Map (db m124879) HM
Many hotels opened and closed in St. Charles during the railroad boom of the 1870s and 1880s. the Galt Hotel and saloon survived the railroad boom, Prohibition, the Great Depression, a tornado, and a runaway railroad car. — — Map (db m124880) HM
Highway bridge construction in 1903 and 1904 was delayed by ice, flood, a river current change, misrouted iron shipments, and a suit for damages filed by the owners of the three buildings on respective corners of North Main and Adams Streets. Dr. J. . . . — — Map (db m124881) HM
During Prohibition, Moses Bowlen O'Bannon rented the two-story brick Green Tree Tavern from former brewer Charles Schibi. O'Bannon sold soft drinks and had a license to operate two billiard tables from 1921 until 1930. O'Bannon born in 1873, the son . . . — — Map (db m124883) HM
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Historic Landmark . . . — — Map (db m124809) HM
A variety of wagons used the trails during the westward migration. The Conestoga wagon was the most durable. It was built in the Pennsylvania Valley between 1750-1840. Prairie schooners and covered farm wagons were also used, pulled by horses, oxen . . . — — Map (db m124888) HM
Mr. and Mrs. Edward Paule managed the Western House hotel at Boone's Licke and South Main. This was their first home. Edward Paule was the proprietor of the Monroe House, a boarding house and saloon at Third and Chauncey. He also served as mayor of . . . — — Map (db m124806) HM
Ezra Overall owned this property and may have built this home. He was a local attorney and land speculator, selling dozens of properties. He sold this property to Frederick Maerklin. This building is a good example of a "single German" one story . . . — — Map (db m124804) HM
Named Farmer's Tavern by innkeeper John Frazier on premises originally owned by Alexander McNair, first Governor of Missouri who had a 27 vat tannery at rear of property. Popular hostelry favored by early legislators and officials when St. Charles . . . — — Map (db m124816) HM
Oldest existing brick church north of the Missouri River. Built of hand-made bricks with walls 18 inches thick.
Records establish that Mrs. Catherine Collier built this church in 1831. It was used by her Methodist Episcopal Congregation . . . — — Map (db m124887) HM
This building was erected by Peter Glenday from Scotland. Jacob Zeisler, a German immigrant, made this his residence in 1867. Jacob was the proprietor of a successful soda water factory which occupied the two buildings directly behind this one. . . . — — Map (db m124817) HM
Joseph Chancellier arrived with the first settlers of St Louis in 1764. He laid claim to property along St Charles riverfront and then orally conveyed it to the Roman Catholic Church in the 1780's.
In May 1804, Lewis and Clark visited "this . . . — — Map (db m124819) HM
Served as first duly appointed Postmaster during the time that St. Charles was the State Capitol and performed his postal duties from here. Jeremiah and his brother Seth were joint owners in a botanical garden west of the city. They manufactured and . . . — — Map (db m124820) HM
Built in 1808. Celia Ann French, Dr. Millington's niece married Elijah Lovejoy, first martyr of the free press in the United States. He was almost lynched here but escaped to Alton, Ill. Was murdered there in 1837. — — Map (db m124824) HM
"Nor North, nor South, nor East, nor West
But part of each, of each the best"
Upon this block number twenty was located the headquarters of the two Spanish commandants for thee District of St. Charles.
Louis Blanchette . . . — — Map (db m124810) HM
Residence and business of Sir Walter Rice, served at various times as County Surveyor, Recorder of Deeds, Justice of the Peace and Postmaster.
Original site of frame . . . — — Map (db m124821) HM
The Burlington stone used to construct these buildings was quarried from within this city block. Built by Thomas Lindsey, a founder of the first Presbyterian church in St. Charles. — — Map (db m124822) HM
The beginning point of the "Western Plank Road," a toll road of two bits (25 cents) per person, extended nine miles to Cottleville, connecting with Boone's Lick Road. Stagecoaches left from St. Charles here at the Boone's Lick Trading Post circa . . . — — Map (db m124885) HM
The overland route linking St. Charles with the future sight of Fort Osage in present-day Jackson County was likely the earliest trail used by American settlers heading west. On its eastern end the trail passed in the vicinity of the later towns of . . . — — Map (db m124814) HM