While miners worked nearby streams and veins for gold, George W. Coulter served their needs as merchant and hotel proprietor. His first store, established in 1850, was a tent stocked with merchandise hauled in by pack train. Coulter and the town . . . — — Map (db m46330) HM
California’s oldest seat of justice still in use. The front half, the original building, completed in 1854, cost $9.200. The lumber was sash-sawed from nearby forests; framework fastened with mortised joints and wooden pegs. Finished lumber was . . . — — Map (db m46734) HM
This mortise and tenon Greek Revival courthouse, erected in 1854, is California’s oldest court of law and has served continuously as the seat of county government since 1854. During the 19th century landmark mining cases setting legal precedent were . . . — — Map (db m46733) HM
This 33 X 26 foot structure was built in 1858 from granite blocks quarried near Mormon Bar at a cost of 14,744.00 by J.O. Lovejoy. It originally had two stories and a gallows at the east end. In 1892 a fire gutted the building, taking the life of . . . — — Map (db m46443) HM
The first meeting of the Mariposa County Historical Society was held April 14, 1957. In 1958 the museum was established at the Historic Masonic Lodge located nearby.
In December 1969, Judge Thomas and Katherine Coakley donated the land to . . . — — Map (db m38670) HM
St. Catherine Church was built during the 1860’s probably in 1865. Before the church was built, priests came from Stockton to say Mass for the people of Hornitos. Priests from Sonora and Mariposa came for Mass after the church was built. In the . . . — — Map (db m46937) HM
One fourth mile north of Carson Creek, tributary of Agua Fria, was located Agua Fria, first county seat of Mariposa County in 1850-1851 one of original 27 counties in California. Until 1852, while mining was main industry of region, Mariposa County . . . — — Map (db m51554) HM
This mining town became the seat of justice of Mariposa County when on February 18,1850, the State Legislature divided the state into 27 counties. Mariposa County the comprised one-fifth of the entire state and included what are Mariposa, Tulare, . . . — — Map (db m46411) HM
Originally named Tower Rock, May Rock is the largest outcropping of quartz along the Mother Lode. This 82 foot high formation contains no gold ore. Most gold ore within quartz is at greater depths in the earth.
It was part of Colonel John C. . . . — — Map (db m46375) HM
The oldest building in Mariposa, and the only 3 story adobe building still in use in the state of California.
Erected in 1850 by Col. John C. Fremont and wife Jessie for Palmer Cook & Co., lease holders for the Mariposa Mine and Fremont’s agents. . . . — — Map (db m65502) HM
The original rock building was built by Thomas and Caroline McCarthy as a private home. Upon completion of the building, they placed a cornerstone with the date of 1852. Eventually, the property was leased to Percy Davis who converted the home into . . . — — Map (db m46327) HM
In 1852 Andrew Church established a trading post where a road from the San Joaquin Valley, crossed the Agua Fria Creek. The site, known as Bridgeport, was on the Fremont Grant, about five miles south of Aqua Fria, first county seat of Mariposa . . . — — Map (db m46846) HM
This site is part of the 44,000 arce [sic] Las Mariposa Land Grant purchased in 1847 by Colonel John C. Fremont for $3,000. In 1850 La Mineta, a mining camp, was established here by Sonoran miners. La Mineta was changed to Princeton in 1854 for the . . . — — Map (db m46407) HM
In 1849, a group of Mormons established a tent encampment near here while searching for land to farm. After an influx of gold miners the Mormons moved on. Next came thousands of Chinese miners, merchants and farmers. Mormon Bar became the largest . . . — — Map (db m46408) HM
A Burning Tradition
Miwok people, who called themselves Ahwahneechee, lived in Yosemite Valley for thousands of years. Their traditional practice of regularly burning the meadows and oak woodlands of the Valley contributed to the open . . . — — Map (db m63597) HM
[This marker is composed of several panels]
Origin of the Name of Cathey’s Valley
In 1739, the Catheys immigrated from Clones, Ireland to America. Andrew D. Cathey a native of North Carolina, his wife Mary Mariah . . . — — Map (db m46839) HM
Member of Fremont’s Battalion during Mexican War. Established Indian trading posts throughout Central San Joaquin Valley. Leader of the first expedition of the Mariposa Battalion into Yosemite Valley, 1851
Dr. Lewis Leach described Savage as . . . — — Map (db m34057) HM
On this spot in the early days was a flowing spring beside which stood a large green bush. Wild horses, deer, elk and antelope watered here and it served as a watering place for sheep and cattle.
The presence of this water caused the railroad in . . . — — Map (db m101867) HM
[Marker mounted to the left of the entrance door.]
This building is the first Basque Hotel built near the Central Pacific Railroad lines that brought many new immigrants to Fresno and the San Joaquin Valley.
It was one of several . . . — — Map (db m101868) HM
James D. Savage was born in 1817 in Cayuga County, New York and moved to Illinois as a a child. He was described as a strong man with blue eyes and a magnificent physique. It was said that he was smart as a whip, shrewd in business and adept with . . . — — Map (db m101846) HM
In honor of the sesquincentennial of the Mariposa County Courthouse and recognition of its continuous use since 1855.
In June 1857 Biddle Boggs vs. Merced Mining Company made legal mining history and the 1861 cases of Moore vs. Smaw and Fremont . . . — — Map (db m46739) HM
Built in 1862 by the people of Mariposa under the direction of Father Auger. The church was dedicated, Confirmation was conferred and the first Mass was said by Archbishop Alameny on Jan. 18, 1863. The church has been repaired many times through the . . . — — Map (db m46599) HM
The Mount Ophir Mine is one of the most successful and conspicuous of the Mother Lode mines in Mariposa County. It includes the Mount Ophir Mint which was the first of such mints to turn gold into coins. The Mint was built by John Moffitt, who had . . . — — Map (db m46381) HM
From the crest of the ridge of a few hundred feet behind this point members of the Mariposa Battalion under the leadership of Major James D. Savage looked into Yosemite Valley on March 27, 1851. Alarmed by the encroaching tide of California Gold . . . — — Map (db m47417) HM
This marker is composed of four plaques secured front and back to two pillars.
Adapting to a New Life
For thousands of years, Indians adapted to climate changes, fires and droughts in the Sierra. They also survived conflicts with . . . — — Map (db m65632) HM
Site of the town of Langworth. Founded in 1860 by Henry Langworthy It was on a branch of the old Mariposa Road that crossed the Stanislaus River at Islips Ferry. Was part of the 8 square league rancho granted by Mexico to A. B. Thompson in 1846. . . . — — Map (db m6365) HM
Originally located 3/8 mile downstream, this ferry was first established by Dr. B. D. Horr about 1850. Later owned by Dickenson and by Osborn, it was purchased by John W. Roberts in 1862 and moved to this location in 1865. The ferry was the . . . — — Map (db m42598) HM
In 1856 Prosper Rocher constructed Columbia's second brewery located one-half mile east of town on the north side of Yankee Hill Road. Rocher, a French physician, was first partners with Anton Bixel in the Columbia Brewery on Italian Bar Road. . . . — — Map (db m8590) HM
Poeta de cualidades excepcionales y una de las voces liricas más insignes de la literatura latinoamericana. Su obra, extensa y variadísima, la ubica entra grandes figuras femeninas de las letras continentales, honor que . . . — — Map (db m81015) HM
They traveled here from family hearths throughout the world to mine Sierra’s treasures from the Golden Mother Lode.
O’er claims where stood raw shacks and sailcloth tents the woodsmoke curled,
while pick and shovel, pan and sluice marked where . . . — — Map (db m42497) HM
Andrew Davidson Firebaugh was born in Virginia in 1823. He served with the Texas Mounted Riflemen in the Mexican War. Coming to Californian in 1849, he fought in the Mariposa Indian War under Major James D. Savage on the expedition that discovered . . . — — Map (db m28015) HM
Fremont passed within sight of this spot on April 7, 1844. He is coming from the San Joaquin River to the Kings River with his mountain men guides, Thomas "Broken Hand" Fitzpatrick, Kit Carson and Alex Godey. Fremont described a vast prairie with . . . — — Map (db m78355) HM
Headquarters of Col. John C. Fremont, world-famous American, who, in 1847, purchased a floating Mexican grant of 44,000 acres for $3000. After gold was discovered, he floated his grant to include the Mother Lode gold belt from Mariposa to Merced . . . — — Map (db m5958) HM
General John C. Fremont, 1813-1890. A noted military man, explorer, topographer, senator & businessman, Fremont was also a miner. He settled in Mariposa County living just outside Bear Valley. He operated the Josephine, Pine Tree & Princeton mines . . . — — Map (db m5783) HM
Louis Trabucco was born in 1821 and emigrated from Italy in 1847. He opened his first store in Bear Valley in 1856. After becoming successful in his Mariposa mining and business ventures he returned to Italy and married 19 year old Elena . . . — — Map (db m46374) HM
Here in 1849, James D. Savage, established a store built of logs. He engaged in trading and mining and married several squaws for protection and influence. In spring of 1850, fearing Indian depredations, he moved to Mariposa Creek. In December, his . . . — — Map (db m904) HM
Walk through this living tree and look for evidence of it heeling itself. Bark of this sequoia is growing inward in an attempt to close over its wound — the large tunnel carved in 1895. Thought to have served as a lower elevation winter . . . — — Map (db m84231) HM
Historic Jail Museum • History of 1849 • Relics
Gold Rush Day Displays
One of the Nations Most Famous Ghost Towns early population 15,000. Here was the first Wells Fargo Express Office in county. $40000 in gold sent to Mint daily by armed . . . — — Map (db m46936) HM
Welcome to one of the most famous ghost towns of the 1800's. Hornitos is Spanish for "Little Ovens". It got its name from the above ground graves that were shaped like little cooking ovens used in Mexico. During this time, population was about . . . — — Map (db m39481) HM
Indian Gulch was one of the earliest settlements in Mariposa County. Originally called Santa Cruz. The town adapted the new name when the post office opened as another Santa Cruz already existed. James Morton was the first postmaster. During its . . . — — Map (db m38671) HM
Discoverd by Sonoran miners in the early summer of 1849. It was located about a quarter mile above the two springs of cold water from which the town derived its name.
Aqua Fria was the first county seat from Feb. 18, 1850 to Nov. 10. 1851. . . . — — Map (db m46410) HM
This turnout was named in honor of famed landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903), and his son, Frederick, Jr. when Tioga road opened to automobile traffic in 1961. Olmsted senior was considered the father of American landscape . . . — — Map (db m65531) HM
On June 30, 1864 the United States granted the Yosemite Valley and the Mariposa Big Tree Grove to the State of California to "be held for public use, resort and recreation...inalienable for all time." This act, signed by President Abraham Lincoln, . . . — — Map (db m81941) HM
From Stockton to Los Angeles via Millerton where the Friant Dam now is, was the first, and for many years the main road used by goldseekers and settlers. The route followed the edge of the hills to be near the mines and to provide a firm roadbed in . . . — — Map (db m61343) HM
This rancho was a grant from the Mexican goverment (sic) to Jose, Maria, Mejia and Juan Perez Pacheco made November 4, 1843 and signed by Manuel Micheltorena, Mexican governor of the Californias.
The grant contained eleven square leagues . . . — — Map (db m93201) HM
Here lies Captain Harry Love, who with a troop of twenty others, on July 25, 1853 allegedly killed bandits Joaquin Murrieta and Three Fingered Jack near Arroyo de Cantua, Fresno County, California.
Born in Vermont, Love first visited Alta . . . — — Map (db m24122) HM
Muchos pueblos mesoamericanos acostumbraban colocar ofrendas tanto para clausurar un edificio, como para construirlo; y este es el caso de una ofrenda encontrada aquí para consagra una nueva edificación. Los arqueólogos encontraron en 1998 una . . . — — Map (db m92042) HM
In the early 1850's, before it became a town, Reedley was in Mariposa County. The only way to cross the Kings River was doing so at your own risk or to find a ferry and pay a fee to cross. The Reedley area could claim two operating ferries. . . . — — Map (db m77752) HM
Once a part of Mariposa and Fresno Co, this area was traversed by local Indians, fur traders, explorers and gold seekers. The first settlement in what is now Madera County was 16 miles up the Fresno River where James D. Savage located his store, . . . — — Map (db m52241) HM
This school was originally two stories and was built in Georgetown about 1878. At that time it was called the Snow Creek School. Space was limited so the school was dismantled and moved to a larger site in 1910. The land was donated by Richard . . . — — Map (db m46771) HM
A long period of unrest between the settlers and Indians of Tulare County erupted in war during the Spring of 1856. Untrue reports that five hundred head of cattle had been stolen in Frazier Valley and the burning of the Orson K. Smith sawmill . . . — — Map (db m34474) HM
[A short walk starting on the eastern side of the Roberts Ferry Covered Bridge; walking south, crossing over to the western side and returning north. Interpretive markers are placed along both sides covering the timeline from the first people who . . . — — Map (db m42617) HM
From 1926 until 1970, Piers 30 and 32 were famous as the San Francisco base of operations of the Matson Line, founded by Captain William Matson, who in 1882 borrowed $4,000 from a scow schooner man to buy shares in the sailing schooner Emma . . . — — Map (db m92899) HM
58 markers matched your search criteria. These linguistically-based search results have been ranked by where matching words were found. Results of different rank are separated by horizontal rules. Within the same rank, results are sorted by state or province; county, parish or shire; town; and title.