Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Waterloo, Illinois Historical Markers

 
Bellefontaine House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kylie Jackson, September 29, 2019
Bellefontaine House Marker
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Bellefontaine House
Bellefontaine was one of the first settlements made by Americans in what is now Illinois. The earliest settlers included families of Revolutionary War veterans who had served with George Rogers Clark. Captain James Moore brought a band of pioneers . . . — Map (db m140335) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — City Hotel121 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
In 1838, McKendree Moore, with his father, Enoch Moore, owned a mercantile store here, which carried on until the death of McKendree Moore in 1840. The Moore family was one of Waterloo's first settlers. Enoch Moore, born in 1783 in the blockhouse at . . . — Map (db m140341) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Col. William R. Morrison
William R. Morrison, destined to be elected a Colonel during the American Civil War, was of Scotch-Irish descent, born on September 14, 1824. Although raised on a farm, upon his father's remarriage following the death of William's mother, they moved . . . — Map (db m136540) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Commercial State Bank101 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co., Ill., Laid out in 1818 —
This building as it stands today sits on combined lots, which were originally the sites of a rock residence and a butcher shop, Theodore Ruch's meat market. The meat market was a family operated business in the 1880's ran by prominent butchers . . . — Map (db m140469) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Ford
Near this marker stood the boyhood home of Thomas Ford, 1800-1850, eighth Governor of Illinois. He held many public offices before serving as Governor, 1842-1846. His mother Elizabeth Forquer Ford, a pioneer school teacher, raised her seven children . . . — Map (db m144934) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Ford MonumentKaskaskia-Cahokia Trail
Kaskaskia-Cahokia Trail: 40 Miles to Kaskaskia 20 Miles to Cahokia

Here passed the ancient trail trod first by buffaloes and Indians, then by explorers, traders and French settlers of Kaskaskia and Cahokia. Revolutionary War soldiers with . . . — Map (db m140364) HM

Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Harrisonville Telephone CompanyWaterloo, Monroe Co., Ill., Laid out in 1818
213 South Main Street Became the headquarters of Harrisonville Telephone Company in 1905 when the Company moved in, occupying one-fourth of the building. At that time, the remaining space was apartments. As Harrisonville . . . — Map (db m144220) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Henry's Grocery219 & 221 South Main
In 1818 George Forquer purchased and, along with Daniel P. Cook, began laying out the lots that would become known as Original Waterloo or Old Town Waterloo. They immediately sold lot 82 in Block 11 to Alexander Wells for $20. It stayed in the . . . — Map (db m140426) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — James Lemen
James Lemen Born in Virgina, Nov. 20 1760 Died in Illinois Jan. 8 1823 A Revolutionary Soldier, Indian Fighter, Anti Slavery Leader, Baptist Minster and Organizer of the First Churches in Illinois. His wife Katherine Ogle . . . — Map (db m144921) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — James Moore Cabin
Captin James Moore was an officer of the Virginia Militia during the American Revolution. Under the command of Colonel George Rogers Clark, he took part in an expedition to Illinois in 1778. Captain Moore led his group by boat to Kaskaskia in 1782 . . . — Map (db m143246) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — La Belle Fontaine(Beautiful Spring)
The second American settlement in the northwest territory was established in 1782 by Capt. James Moore, an Officer of the American Revolution serving with the Virginia Militia. He was commissioned by Gov. Patrick Henry and sent George Rogers Clark . . . — Map (db m145121) HM WM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Monroe County Bicentennial Bandstand
On this site on August 25, 1840, Abraham Lincoln presented a political speech for Whig Party at the Monroe County Courthouse.

This tablet erected by the Monroe County Bicenntennial Committee August 6, 2016 — Map (db m140355) HM

Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Monroe County World War Veteran Memorial
In memory of Monroe County World War Veterans Apr-6-1917 - Nov-11-1918 Columbia - Waterloo erected by Columbia Post 581-Goeddel-Buettner Post 747 — Map (db m140349) WM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Peterstown and the Merchant Prince
The north end of Waterloo was originally called Peter's Town, for Emery Peter Rogers, 1795-1859. Coming from Massachusetts in 1816, he started with 5 acres here on the west side of the Kaskaskia Trail, where he operated a grist mill, woolen mill, . . . — Map (db m143475) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Potter's Field
A Potter's field is a term used for a place for the burial of unknown or indigent people. The expression potter's field derives from the Bible, referring to a field used for the extraction of potter's clay; such land, useless for agriculture, could . . . — Map (db m140353) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Salem-Baum Evangelical Church
On May 11, 1845, a German-speaking Protestant congregation was organized at the Philip Baum residence near here that same year, a log church was erected and a cemetery was opened on six acres immediately north of this spot which was donated by . . . — Map (db m140506) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Schorr Brewing Co.117 North Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The first brewery established in Waterloo, the Koechel brewery, was built at this location in 1847 by john and Elizabeth Koechel. It is believed to have been a wooden structure which was replaced by a brick building in 1852. John Koechel ran . . . — Map (db m140421) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Site of the First English Speaking School in Illinois
On this site, in the year 1783, stood the first English speaking public school in the state of Illinois. It was taught by Samuel J. Seeley. The school was an abandoned squatters cabin, located on a tract of land known as the James Lemen Greater, . . . — Map (db m140351) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Adelsberger House116 East Third — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The land on which Hopskeller now stands dates back to March, 1816, when William Lemon purchased nearly 255 acres at a cost of $2 per acre. This land encompassed all modern-day downtown Waterloo. For unknown reasons, in January of 1817 (only ten . . . — Map (db m140337) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Bellefontaine Bridge
This stone arch bridge dates back to 1877 when it was built by Charles Liebheit and Christian Hartmann. It extends over a tributary of Fountain Creek, called Moore's Run (named after James Moore, one of the founders of Waterloo). This bridge is . . . — Map (db m143476) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Bison
This statue pays homage to the buffalo, or bison which roamed the uplands of Monroe County thousands of years ago, trampling down prairie grasses, creating what became the Kaskaskia-Cahokia Trial. The trail was also used by Native Americans and was . . . — Map (db m143250) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Braun Property212 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
This historic building, known officially as Tax Lot 2 in Block 8 of Waterloo, dates back to the year 1845 and has served many purposes throughout the years. Unfortunately, we have no record of what it was used for in its earliest years, other . . . — Map (db m143251) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Brey Building115 & 117 East Mill — Waterloo, Monroe Co., Ill., Laid out in 1818 —
John Coleman purchased three lots (115, 117, and 119 East Mill) in 1834. The present building at 115 was built before the Civil War. In 1862 Coleman sold the property to William Hursey who later sold it to Paul C. Brey, who was a German native born . . . — Map (db m140459) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Garretson Home229 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The Garretson Home was built in 1852 as a family home in the Italianate style, by William C. Garretson, a prominent figure in the history of Monroe County. William Garretson was a direct relative of James Garretson, one of the founding fathers of . . . — Map (db m140387) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Küenster Building123 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The Küenster Building is named after its builder, Hubert Küenster, who built it as home to his pharmacy in 1871. Küenster was appointed as a Postmaster in 1865, so there is belief that the Post Office was also in this building at one point in time, . . . — Map (db m140348) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Küenster Building127 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co., Ill., Laid out in 1818 —
Hubert Küenster immigrated to America from Germany in May 1852. He came to St. Louis, where he was a clerk in Dr. Berghoff’s drug store for a year. Some of his countrymen were residents in the neighborhood of Waterloo, and at their request, Küenster . . . — Map (db m143986) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Morrison Talbott Library215 Park Street — Waterloo, Monroe Co., Ill., Laid out in 1818 —
Since the late 1800’s, citizens have worked to provide the community of Waterloo, Illinois, with a public library to serve as a cultural center. In 1892, Henry and Mary Talbott donated their personal collection of over 3,000 books and periodicals to . . . — Map (db m144987) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Odd Fellows Building202 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill, Laid Out in 1818 —
Elizabeth and William Sinnhold were the first owners of the land of which the Odd Fellows building sits today. In 1875, M.C. Rodenberger and Wm. Kestner, established M.C. Rodenberger and Company, which made and sold marble and granite monuments, . . . — Map (db m140519) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Pluth Building115, 117 & 119 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The Pluth Building was originally constructed in 1885 as a two-story building which featured a French-style mansard roof. The roof reached the height of the current building's third floor. Original sketches of the building plans detail the upstairs . . . — Map (db m140350) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Schmitt-Nobbe Building110 South Church — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The Schmitt-Nobbe Building has been a grocery store for the bulk of its existence. In 1941 Ambrose Schmitt inherited the property, along with several other properties, from his wife Annie Schmitt upon her death. Ambrose decided to leave it all to . . . — Map (db m140381) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Stroh Building101 East Mill Street
Before 1830, John Coleman erected a large windmill at the corner of Main and Mill where this building stands today. He also owned a mill next door. The mill was changed into an ox-mill in 1837 and destroyed by fire in 1857, when it was a steam . . . — Map (db m140392) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Veterans Memorial for All Wars
From the people of Monroe County Illinois In honor of those who perished In tribute to those who served In gratitude to those now serving — Map (db m143503) WM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Waterloo City HallWaterloo, Monroe Co., Ill., Laid out in 1818
The Waterloo City Hall is situated on Lots 75 and 76 at 100 West Fourth Street in the southerly block between Main Street and Church Street. In 1816, George Forquer purchased a tract of land that is now part of the City of Waterloo. Forquer and . . . — Map (db m144219) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement