On Houston Street (Road 1126) near South Front Street, on the right when traveling south.
This agricultural community was named for Corsicana businessman Bryan T. Barry, who developed the land deeded for the townsite by early settlers Dave and Effie Wright. The Barry Post Office was established in 1886, the same year the St. Louis, . . . — — Map (db m60159) HM
On Houston Street at 3rd Street, on the left when traveling south on Houston Street.
The Barry Baptist Church congregation, originally organized as the Elam Baptist Church congregation, was established in September 1891 with seven charter members. The Rev. C. R. Roberts became the congregation's first pastor in June of 1892. Early . . . — — Map (db m61156) HM
On Farm to Market Road 2452 2 miles south of State Highway 31, on the left when traveling north.
One of a family of 10 children, Tennessee-born Annie M. Carpenter grew up hearing stories of her pioneer forebears. She came to Navarro County with her parents in 1876. She taught school in this area before her marriage in 1901 to William F. Love. . . . — — Map (db m128153) HM
First important oil field in Texas
opened here October 15, 1895.
First successful refinery in Texas
Completed Christmas Day , 1898
— • —
Plaque presented to
The Citizens of Corsicana
Texas Mid-Continent Oil and . . . — — Map (db m60492) HM
Near South 12th Street, on the right when traveling south.
Fires were a major concern of oil fields.
This cannon stood at the Magnolia Petroleum tank farm
in Corsicana. It was used to shoot a hole in the bottom of
the cyprus tanks if lightning struck. The oil would drain
into a pit . . . — — Map (db m61761) HM
Old Welding Shop of
H. C. Nicol (1892-1963)
Expert with acetylene torch, Nicol is remembered as first welder operating in the Navarro County oil fields, which opened 1894. He began work about 1912, at a time when he had to mix own . . . — — Map (db m60912) HM
Several communities in Navarro County organized military units that saw action in the Civil War. Company E of the 15th Texas Infantry was formed on April 16, 1862, when two squads were combined into one unit under the leadership of Captain Joshua . . . — — Map (db m60758) HM
Prior to the United States' entry into World War II, the U.S. government contracted with a number of civilian flying schools to assist in training military pilots for the Army Air Corps. In December 1940 the air activities of Texas, Corsicana . . . — — Map (db m118349) HM
A native of Scotland, Alexander Beaton came to the United States in 1843. He migrated to Texas in 1848 after serving in the U.S. Army during the Mexican War. In 1850 he settled in Corsicana and began the practice of law. He was chairman of the . . . — — Map (db m60493) HM
On West Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Grassroots researcher-writer and historical preservationist whose work led to development of this pioneer village.
Born near Dawson (10 miles Southwest), Taylor attended Baylor University (1911-13), married Maud Stockard (1914), and was . . . — — Map (db m60495) HM
On West 7th Avenue (State Highway 31) near South 16th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Chief executive when significant Gilmer-Aikin law was passed raising standards of public education in Texas. His administration also made strides toward prison reform, water control, improved public roads.
Jester was born at family home in . . . — — Map (db m60501) HM
On 7th Avenue near Beaton Street, on the right when traveling east.
New York native Charles Henry Allyn (1842-1918) came to Texas in 1868, after having served as a captain in the Union army during the Civil War. Capt. Allyn arrived in Corsicana with his wife, Angela (Aldrich), in 1871. As a Corsicana businessman, he . . . — — Map (db m60715) HM
On West 7th Street, on the right when traveling north.
Opened two blocks north of this site in 1896, by August Weidmann, an immigrant baker from Wiesbaden, Germany, and W. T. McElwee, a local cotton buyer. Combining the talents of a baker whose pride and joy was baking a better cake with the flare of a . . . — — Map (db m61391) HM
On North 15th Street, on the right when traveling north.
Eminent judge, for whom a Texas county was named. Born in North Carolina.
Settled in 1840 in the Republic of Texas. Admitted to the Bar (1843), he served 1847- 49 in 2nd Texas Legislature.
Raising 150 men for Hood's Brigade, he served . . . — — Map (db m62207) HM
On West Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas 1849. Civic and political leader. Represented Navarro County in Legislature, 1859-60. Joined in call for State Secession Convention, 1861. Joined 3rd Texas Cavalry. Later a colonel in 10th Texas Infantry. Wounded in . . . — — Map (db m60954) HM
On North 12th Street near West 5th Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Soon after Navarro County was created by the Texas Legislature in 1846, a committee was appointed to choose a site for the county seat. The committee selected a 100-acre tract of land that came to be the city of Corsicana. The town was named for . . . — — Map (db m60061) HM
On West Collin Avenue near North 12th Street, on the right when traveling north.
Air Activities of Texas
Corsicana Army Airfield
301st Army Air Force Flying
Primary Flight Training
Produced numerous combat
flying aces WW II
Civilian Operators and . . . — — Map (db m61628) WM
On West 5th Avenue near North Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
The city's first brick jail, this structure was erected in 1908 adjacent to the city hall on a lot purchased from Rebecca A. Croft, widow of Judge William Croft. On the lower floor were cells and on the top floor the police chief's office, occupied . . . — — Map (db m60500) HM
On West 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
This burial ground has served the Jewish residents in Corsicana since the late 1800s. The first Jewish settlers in
the community came here in 1871, when the Houston and Texas Central Railroad extended it’s line from Houston to
Corsicana en . . . — — Map (db m62445) HM
On North 13th Street near West 2nd Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
A center of patriotism especially committed to the Southern cause. After the Nov. 1860 presidential election, citizens lowered the Stars and Stripes and ran up the Texas flag on the Courthouse. Early in 1861 influential men beat drums on the Square . . . — — Map (db m61783) HM
On East 6th Avenue near South 8th Street, on the left when traveling west.
The first newspaper in Navarro County, called the "Prairie Blade," began publication in 1855 and was owned by Dan Donaldson. By 1859 the paper was owned by R. A. Van Horn who changed its name to the "Navarro Express." Paper was in short supply . . . — — Map (db m61921) HM
The women's clubs of Corsicana were instrumental in opening the city's first public library in 1901 at West 6th and
Main St. The city created a library board in 1904 and secured a construction grant from the Carnegie Corporation the . . . — — Map (db m60499) HM
On North 15th Street, on the left when traveling north.
David Reed Mitchell, born in 1797 in North Carolina, arrived in Robertson County, Texas, in 1845. He was a surveyor
by trade, and had surveyed the upper Trinity and Brazos River areas in 1844. He became surveyor of the Robertson
County Land . . . — — Map (db m62464) HM
On West 4th Avenue near North 22nd Street, on the right when traveling west.
A native of Kentucky, Ewing Eric Dunn (1835-1917) came to Texas in 1850. He served as Navarro County deputy
sheriff, 1854-1858, and joined the Confederate army during the Civil War. In 1866 he built the first portion of this
frame house. . . . — — Map (db m60840) HM
On South Main Street near West 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
First public use of natural gas began in Texas in 1902, from transmission lines on this street, serving local homes and businesses. These early lines were forerunners of mains that now transport Texas gas to three-fourths of the United States and . . . — — Map (db m61400) HM
On West 5th Avenue near North 20th Street, on the left when traveling west.
The Corsicana Volunteer Fire Department was organized in December 1879, with J. J. Strupper as chief. Volunteer fire fighters carried buckets before acquiring hand-and horse-drawn equipment. Fire Station Number One, located at city hall, was first . . . — — Map (db m62120) HM
On West Collin Street, on the right when traveling west.
Originally known as the United Baptist Church, this fellowship was established through the leadership of the Rev. Noah Turner Byars, a pioneer preacher and founder of the Trinity River Baptist Association. The church organizational meeting was . . . — — Map (db m61358) HM
Near 400 Block of South 12th Street, on the right when traveling north.
This pipe denotes the location of the successful
water well that led to the oil discovery
(Upside down text)
This pipe denotes the location of the first
commercial oil discovery in Texas — — Map (db m60868) HM
On North 15th Street, on the right when traveling south.
Founded 1851; sanctuary built 1871 was not yet consecrated when State Democratic Convention met here 1872 and laid plans to free Texas from Reconstruction rule. First missionary society west of the Mississippi organized here, 1880. H. A. Boaz, . . . — — Map (db m61135) HM
On West Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
A Navarro County native, Frank Neal Drane married Florence A. Bingham in 1885 and had two children. He ran a
hardware store with his father before becoming president of City National Bank. In 1901 Drane formed the
Corsicana Power and Light . . . — — Map (db m62369) HM
On North 15th Street, on the right when traveling north.
A Texas War for Independence soldier. Born in Virginia. Lived in Tennessee, where he joined 15 other recruits late in 1835 to come to Texas and fight against dictator Santa Anna. Served Jan. 14 to Sept. 18, 1836. Was awarded two land bounties . . . — — Map (db m62677) HM
On West Collin Street near South Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born in Florida, Henry Damon served in the Confederate army and was taken prisoner during the Civil War. After moving to Corsicana in 1873, Damon became a lawyer and established the Texas Loan Agency with his partner, businessman W. R. Bright. . . . — — Map (db m62614) HM
Erected A.D. 1987
By the Ex-Students Association
to commemorate the hundreds
who lived, studied and prepared
for adulthood near this site,
and to honor the
Odd Fellows and Rebekas
who made our home . . . — — Map (db m62810) HM
On West 2nd Street (State Highway 22) near North 24th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born in 1790 in North Carolina, James Clinton Neill came to Texas in 1831 with Stephen F. Austin's third colony. He settled in Milam County, and represented his neighbors at the Convention of 1833. On September 28, 1835, Neill entered the Texas Army . . . — — Map (db m63149) HM
On East 5th Avenue at North 9th Street, on the right when traveling west on East 5th Avenue.
Born in Tennessee on December 31, 1851, James Emerson Whiteselle moved to Texas in 1870 to work in the lumber company of his uncle P. W. Ezell. In 1875 he began working in the local Carruthers Lumber Company which he later owned. Under his . . . — — Map (db m62898) HM
On West 6th Avenue near South 14th Street, on the right when traveling west.
This house was built in 1883 for the family of Ebenezer Wiley Johnson, a prominent local citizen. Originally built in the Second Empire architectural style, it was altered to a classical revival appearance after 1922 by Johnson's daughter and . . . — — Map (db m60926) HM
On West Third Avenue near North 13th Street, on the left when traveling east.
Lover of liberty. Foe of despotism. Born in San Antonio, Texas, February 27, 1795. Died January 13, 1871 and buried there. Member of the Legislature of Coahuila and Texas, 1821; land commissioner of De Witt's colony 1831 and of Bexar District, . . . — — Map (db m62998) HM
On West 4th Avenue near North 22nd Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
John Spencer Callicutt moved to Corsicana in 1886 and opened his law practice. As an active member of the community, Callicutt served on the founding board of the county hospital, as well as the boards of Central State Bank and other businesses. A . . . — — Map (db m63571) HM
On West Third Avenue near North 16th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Corsicana resident A. L. Lemon built this home in 1895 of Louisiana cypress. In 1902 it was sold to John Wesley Edens. The owner of 2400 acres of local farm and ranch land, Edens had served the area as deputy sheriff, tax collector, and city . . . — — Map (db m63599) HM
On West 3rd Avenue near North 13th Street, on the left when traveling east.
Navarro County was created in 1846 by an act of the first Texas Legislature. It was named for early statesman Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871), a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. The first county seat was established at the home of . . . — — Map (db m62139) HM
On West Park Avenue near North 15th Street, on the left when traveling east.
In Memory Of The Men Of Navarro County Texas
Who Lost Their Lives In The World War Charles B. Johnson Lewis Wiggins
Isaiah D. Adams James O. Johnson
Perry A. Allison William V. Keel . . . — — Map (db m63941) WM
During the Civil War, the Navarro Rifles were an infantry company comprised of approximately 87 men from Navarro and surrounding counties. The group formed in Corsicana in July 1861 to join the army of the Confederate States of America. . . . — — Map (db m62268) HM
In 1885 the Grand Lodge of Texas, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, founded the I. O. O. F. Widows and Orphans Home, one of the first fraternal orphanages in the state. Corsicana Lodge No. 63 and other local citizens gave 200 acres as a site for the . . . — — Map (db m63600) HM
On West 2nd Avenue near North 21st Street, on the right when traveling east.
Former Homesite of
Joseph S. Cullinan
Pioneer in Texas Oil
At age 14 Joseph S. Cullinan (1860-1937)
began his career as a laborer
in the Pennsylvania oilfields.
After the Corsicana oil discovery
in 1894, . . . — — Map (db m63417) HM
On North Main Street near West 5th Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
A native of South Carolina, Robert Newton White (1810-1891) moved his family to this area in 1845. One
year later Navarro County was created and White was elected the first County clerk, a position he held for
ten years. During that time he . . . — — Map (db m63721) HM
On West 2nd Avenue (State Highway 22) near North 21st Street, on the right when traveling west.
Outstanding example plantation architecture. Was long the home of U. S. Senator Roger Quarles Mills (1832-1911). Born in Kentucky, Mills came to Corsicana in 1852. Was colonel in Civil War; served Texas 27 years as congressman, senator. Married: . . . — — Map (db m61549) HM
On North 12th Street near West Collin Street, on the left when traveling north.
A native of Georgia, Samuel W. Johnson established his first medical practice in Atlanta. After moving to Texas and settling in Corsicana, he became a respected community physician and was elected mayor in 1900. During his term in office the public . . . — — Map (db m61224) HM
On South Beaton Street near West Collin Street, on the right when traveling north.
At this site in 1891, a group of businessmen built a three-story structure to replace the small Corsicana Opera House above city hall. The Merchants Opera House had stores and offices on the first two floors and a balconied auditorium on the top . . . — — Map (db m61874) HM
On West 1st Avenue near North 12th Street, on the left when traveling west.
The Texas Legislature specified that the seat of Navarro County should be called Corsicana; but the location was not secured until 1848 when this site was donated by David R. Mitchel, James C. Neill, and Thomas Smith. Other structures served briefly . . . — — Map (db m61330) HM
On West 4th Avenue near North 22nd Street, on the right when traveling east.
Built in 1880, this house originally was the residence of Dr. John R. Smith, who served as the mayor of Corsicana from 1883 until 1885. During his term of office, Smith organized the volunteer fire department and helped Navarro County set up a poor . . . — — Map (db m61583) HM
On North 14th Street near West Collin Street, on the right when traveling north.
This church was established in 1871 following Episcopal missionary efforts which began in the Corsicana area in the 1850s. Started as a mission, St. John's was organized under the leadership of the Rev. Virginius Gee. In 1874 the first church . . . — — Map (db m61206) HM
On North Beaton Street near East Collin Street, on the right when traveling north.
Organized in 1917 by B. B. Munsey, G. C. Dunn, P. D. Williams, and E. L. Dupuy, the State National Bank originally was located just off the southwest corner of Collin and Beaton streets. Munsey served as the institution's first president. He was . . . — — Map (db m61000) HM
On West Third Avenue near North 19th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Stephen Augustus Pace came to Texas in 1868. He settled first in Fairfield, where he met and married Achsah Maddox. They moved to Corsicana in 1871. Pace established a wholesale grocery business and was active in a number of civic organizations. He . . . — — Map (db m60999) HM
On West Third Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Built before 1900 by William M. Tatum, son of a Corsicana pioneer merchant, this colonial revival style mansion features first-floor palladian windows. Massive Ionic columns support the two-story porch. Tatum's son Clifford A., who later took over . . . — — Map (db m60998) HM
On South 15th Street, on the right when traveling south.
The earliest Jewish settlers in Corsicana arrived in 1871, the year rail lines were built to the area. In 1898 a group of reformed Jews established Temple Beth-El. Two years later they built this house of worship, which features two distinctive . . . — — Map (db m61790) HM
West of the Mississippi River, in
this well, drilled by H. G. Johnston,
E. H. Akin, and Charles Rittersbacher
under contract for a water well
for the city of Corsicans in
1894, the first oil in commercial
quantities in the . . . — — Map (db m60000) HM
On North 13th Street near West 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
(On plaque on south side of base:) The Call to Arms Erected 1907 by Navarro chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy To commemorate the valor and heroism of our Confederate Soldiers It is not in the power of mortals to command success . . . — — Map (db m61945) WM
On East Collin Street near South 10th Street, on the right.
In 1874, three years after the rail line was laid through Corsicana, lawyer Henry Molloy (1829-1913) had a one-story hotel built to accommodate businessmen and other travelers. Molloy added the second story in 1881. Over the years, the building came . . . — — Map (db m60601) HM
On West 4th Avenue near North 21st Street, on the right when traveling west.
Ben Rosenberg (1862-1929) emigrated from Poland to the United States about 1882. After living several years in Waco, he settled in Corsicana about 1890. Rosenberg soon became the proprietor of the Cotton Exchange Saloon and in 1902 opened the . . . — — Map (db m60582) HM
On West 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Thomas Ingles Smith was born in 1800 in Virginia and was a soldier in the War of 1812 in a company commanded by his father, General Bird B. Smith. Smith arrived in Texas late in 1836, and soon enlisted in the Republic of Texas army under Gen Felix . . . — — Map (db m60599) HM
On North 13th Street, on the left when traveling north.
On May 16, 1853, the Reverend John Patton and about 20 Cumberland Presbyterians formed the first organized church in Corsicana. Other Presbyterians organized later: The First Church, U. S., in 1868; and an Associate Reformed Church (1895) that in . . . — — Map (db m60058) HM
On West Oaklawn Drive near North 13th Street, on the left when traveling north.
The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Corsicana was organized in 1884 and was one of only two YMCAs in the state at that time. E. W. (Wiley) Johnson served as first president of the organization that met in a room over the First National . . . — — Map (db m59697) HM
On Garitty Street (Farm to Market Road 667) near South Front Street, on the right when traveling south.
Prior to 1887 the community of Cross Roads existed two miles south of this location. The town of Frost was created when a post office was established in March of that year to serve settlements west of Corsicana along the St. Louis, Arkansas, and . . . — — Map (db m60211) HM
On Garitty Street (Farm to Market Road 667) near Texas Highway 22, on the left when traveling south.
Led by the Rev. H. A. Conway, a small group of Baptists established this congregation in July 1890. Beginning with about twenty charter members, the church has grown steadily over the years. Early worship services were held once a month. Eventually, . . . — — Map (db m60216) HM
On State Highway 22, on the right when traveling east.
The land on which the Pinkston Community would be established was owned by Doctor Alexander
Colvin Sloan, who was born in 1843 in Montgomery, Alabama. He served in the Civil War and around 1870 migrated to Navarro County. In 1887, he sold . . . — — Map (db m62239) HM
On 1st Street (State Highway 31) near Carr Street, on the right when traveling east.
One of the world's most noted petroleum fields. Discovered 1905; developed in three periods. A number of early shallow wells (800' - 1,000' in Nacatoch sand), drilled by Claude Witherspoon, are still producing. Field's second and greatest era came . . . — — Map (db m59700) HM