Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Churches & Religion Historical Markers

523 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 323
 
B’er Chayim (Well of Life) Congregation Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jerry Klinger
B’er Chayim (Well of Life) Congregation Marker
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — B’er Chayim (Well of Life) CongregationDedicated March 2, 1867
Jewish citizenry in Cumberland can be documented back to 1816. By 1853 twelve Jewish families had taken residence in this growing city of 6150 people. It was this small group which applied to the Maryland General Assembly for an Act incorporating . . . — Map (db m134329) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church
A building on this site Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church May 11, 1794 "Mother of Lutheranism" in Allegany Co. — Map (db m81506) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Church of Saint PatrickCumberland, Maryland
The Cumberland Roman Catholic Parish was established in 1790 by Father Dennis Cahill, a missionary working in Western Maryland. A log church dedicated to Mary the Mother of God was soon erected in 1791 at the front of the parish property. From . . . — Map (db m134395) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Church of St. Patrick, Cumberland
A log chapel dedicated to St. Mary was built on this site in 1791. The first parishioners were mostly English Catholics from Southern Maryland. A brick church replaced the log building in 1939. Cumberland became a major center of transportation and . . . — Map (db m134394) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Crossroads of America Mural
About this sign The outline drawing above represents the heritage-themed mural to your right. The mural is organized chronologically into sections. Each section is described here, with accompanying historic images.. . . . — Map (db m140048) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Built 1848 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m139105) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — First Church of Christ, Scientist
ca. 1878 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m139104) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Metropolitan A.M.E. ChurchDecatur Street
Built by freed slaves 1892 National Register of Historical Places Organized 1837 Built Frederick Street Chapel 1848 — Map (db m139116) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Town Clock ChurchCornerstone June 1, 1848
Built by Old German Lutherians now owned by First Christian Congregation Clock awarded by town in contest National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m139115) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A Community LegacyWest Street — The Banneker-Douglass Museum —
1984 Banneker-Douglass Museum As the official museum of African-American history and culture for the State of Maryland, the Banneker-Douglass Museum is dedicated to discovering documenting, preserving and promoting . . . — Map (db m114557) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Asbury United Methodist Church
Site of the oldest and most prominent African American congregation in Annapolis, MD. In 1803, seven free African Americans bought the land and established the First African Methodist Episcopal Church. It was closed in 1832 in a local reaction to . . . — Map (db m6191) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Clay Street Community MontageAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
This montage is the collaborative effort of George "Lassie" Belt, children from the Stanton Community Center (listed below), and Artwalk curator, Sally Wern Comport. This artwork, part of the Annapolis 300 celebration, is at the entrance to the Clay . . . — Map (db m130944) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — First Presbyterian Church of AnnapolisFounded May 2, 1846
Built in 1828 as the Hallam Theatre Reconstructed in 1847 for use by the church Enlarged in 1948 and 1959 Designated May 25, 1947 as the National Naval Memorial of the Presbyterian Church This plaque given in memory of Agnes Myers Zorn . . . — Map (db m6197) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — First Synagogue in Annapolis
Kneseth Israel (Assembly of Israel), chartered in 1906, purchased this home in 1910 for use as the first synagogue in Annapolis. The congregation used the building as a synagogue until 1912, when it moved to larger quarters on Prince George . . . — Map (db m6310) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — History Stone
This granite block was dedicated as the cornerstone of a proposed fountain on 22 November 1908, the 200th anniversary of the Annapolis City Charter. The fountain was planned to commemorate the 1649 "Act Concerning Religion," known as the "Act of . . . — Map (db m6386) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Site of the Methodist Church1789–1817
Francis Asbury, Father of American Methodism, founded a Methodist Society in Annapolis in 1777. They built a meeting house in 1785 within the present grounds of the Naval Academy. In 1789, the “Old Blue Church” moved to this site and . . . — Map (db m2909) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Southgate Memorial
To the memory of Rev. William Scott Southgate, for thirty years rector of Saint Anne's Parish in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Born April 10, 1831. Died May 21, 1899. Reverse side: Erected by the citizens of Annapolis and by his old . . . — Map (db m9289) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — St. John Neumann, C.Ss.R.
Born: March 28, 1811 Ordained: June 25, 1836 Professed as a Redemptorist: January 16, 1842 Consecrated Bishop: March 28, 1852 Died: January 5, 1860 Canonized: June 19, 1977 — Map (db m114536) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Charles Carroll House
Birthplace of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (September 19, 1737 – November 14, 1832), the only Roman Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and the last of the signers to die. Charles Carroll of Annapolis (1702 – 1782), . . . — Map (db m55298) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception(Saint Mary’s Church)
Church and surrounding buildings are on land once owned by Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737 – 1832) only Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and last signer to die. At rear is Carroll Manor, built c.1730, his birthplace where . . . — Map (db m55489) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Jonas Green House
The 1718 Stoddert survey map indicates William Bladen as the first recorded owner of lot 42. Charles Carroll purchased the property in 1725 and may have been responsible for the construction of the original side hall, double parlor plan when he and . . . — Map (db m75719) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Old Fourth Ward1941 - 1951
"This is a Community Built on Brotherhood" Janice Hayes Williams, Historian This intersection of West and West Washington Streets is the gateway to the "Old Fourth Ward," Annapolis' historic African American community. Its distinctive . . . — Map (db m114537) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Churchton — Site of First Quaker Regional Gathering
Site of First Quaker Regional Gathering In Maryland By George Fox in 1672 Ann of Arundell Chapter, MD. National Society of Colonial Dames XVII Century 1999 — Map (db m65888) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Chapel of Ease
Upon this spot stood the "Chapel of Ease," erected in 1730 for the ease and convenience of families living in distant parts of St. Anne's Parish. Permission to build this church was granted to a party of churchmen by Charles Lord Baltimore upon the . . . — Map (db m131386) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church
A rural suburban congregation linking our past and future. Established 1858 as Mt. Tabor Methodist Episcopal Church. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m3412) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Davidsonville — Watkins Slave Cemetery
At this site, anonymously buried slaves were found during road construction in 1960. These unclaimed individuals were associated with the Locust Grove plantation founded by 1848. The remains were reburied at Mt. Tabor Church in nearby Chesterfield. . . . — Map (db m114877) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Eastport's Soul
Many African-American families settled here more than a century ago. these families, who have lived here for four generations, are the heart and soul of this neighborhood. Their religious, educational and cultural institutions are pillars of . . . — Map (db m5653) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Marley Chapel
Erected, 1731, near this site, Marley Chapel served as a chapel of ease for the northern parish area of St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church. After its abandonment bricks from the chapel were used in constructing St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, Glen . . . — Map (db m2868) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Marley Church CemeteryMethodist Protestant
Marley Methodist Protestant Church Cemetery Marley Church was built in 1873. Relocated in 1945 as the Solley Methodist Church. — Map (db m131863) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — St. Alban's Episcopal Church
Built 1904. Originally Glenburnie Chapel, 1891. — Map (db m9823) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Hanover — Wesley Grove United Methodist Church
Consecrated Sunday, November 4, 1951, by the joint congregations of Friendship and Ridge Methodist Churches. Timber Ridge and Friendship Methodist Churches Timber Ridge Church was built c.1840 two miles to the east. It . . . — Map (db m3036) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harwood — William Penn
Came here to the home of Col. Thomas Tailler on “the ridge” December 13, 1682 for his first conference with Charles Lord Baltimore as to the location of the boundary line between Maryland and Pennsylvania. — Map (db m3042) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — Benson-Hammond House
Built circa 1820, the Benson-Hammond House is the headquarters of the Ann Arundell County Historical Society and is open to the public. Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line Organized in 1880, the Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line ran its . . . — Map (db m3161) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — Holly Run Church
The first church erected by the Methodist Protestant denomination. Built in 1828. Relocated and restored 1966. — Map (db m68390) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Saint James’ ChurchOld Herring Creek Parish
The first church on this site was built, 1695, and the present structure was completed 1765. The Reverend Henry Hall (1675–1722) served as the first rector, 1698-1722. From 1786–1792 Saint James’ was the home parish of Thomas John . . . — Map (db m3143) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Baldwin Memorial United Methodist Church
Baldwin Memorial United Methodist Church, 1777–1977. This congregation met as a Methodist Society in 1777 at the John Sewell home, Brooksby’s Point, where circuit rider Bishop Francis Asbury often preached. Present site deeded in 1817. This . . . — Map (db m2882) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Charles W. Baldwin Hall
Constructed 1861 Relocated 1895 Enlarged 1935 * Relocated to this site 2 June 1981 Rededicated 21 May 1983 By the Severn Cross Roads Foundation — Map (db m6188) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — The Severn Crossroads Church
Built as a Methodist Church in 1861 and used as the Church Sanctuary & Sunday School for fifty years. Moved in 1896 from SE to NE corner of General’s Highway and Indian Landing roads, and dedicated in 1935 to Charles W. Baldwin, its pastor for 71 . . . — Map (db m2884) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Odenton — Epiphany Episcopal Chapel and Church House
Only known World War I chapel in the United States. Consecrated in 1918 to minister to the soldiers at Camp Meade and serve as permanent mission in the village of Odenton. Designed in the Arts and Crafts style by Riggin Buckler. Used by all . . . — Map (db m3162) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Magothy Methodist Church
One of the first Methodist societies in Anne Arundel County. Log church originally erected on tract acquired in 1764, now the cemetery. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here August 27, 1777. Church built on present site in 1859 was destroyed by fire . . . — Map (db m2863) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — At Work — At Play on the BayFrom Waterman's Home to Fishing Club
The story of the Captain Salem Avery House mirrors that of Shady Side and the larger history of the Chesapeake Bay region. 1860-1921 The Avery Family Home In the mid-19th century, a young man came to Shady Side from New York to make . . . — Map (db m130026) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Transformation of the Avery House and over a Century of Expansion
The house Salem Avery built for his family in 1860 still exists today, but you have to look closely to see it. The original home was modest and had only one room with a loft. Imagine the building in front of you reduced to just the colored . . . — Map (db m130002) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), South River — All Hallows Church
All Hallows Parish, South River, one of the orginal thirty parishes created by law in 1692 when the Anglican Church was established in Maryland. The present Georgian church was built c. 1730. Several prominent London Town merchants are buried in the . . . — Map (db m2941) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — Old Quaker Burying Ground1672
Here April, 1672, George Fox, founder of Quakerism, opened the first General Meeting of Friends in Maryland, marking the beginning of West River Yearly Meeting and its successor, Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends. Site of West River Quaker Meeting . . . — Map (db m3038) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — William Penn
Visited his Quaker friend William Richardson near this spot after the conference at Col. Thomas Tailler’s December 13, 1682. Lord Baltimore and the members of his Council accompanied him to this place. — Map (db m3039) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — William Penn
Attended a meeting of the Friends (Quakers) at Thomas Hooker’s December 1682 on this tract called “Brownton” (patented in 1652 for 660 acres). Penn sailed from here across the Bay to the Choptank River to a General Meeting of the Friends. — Map (db m3041) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — “…a truly affectionate wife”
Frances "Fanny" H. Peachy, like most women buried here, remains largely anonymous. The daughter of a local minister, Frances H. Andrews (1799-1822) married Baltimore saddlemaker Thomas G. Peachy on February 28, 1821. Less than a year later she was . . . — Map (db m6644) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1781 Friends Meeting House
The Friends Meeting House is the oldest religious building in Baltimore. In 1781, the Patapsco Friends Meeting, formerly located on Harford Road two miles north of the Inner Harbor, moved to this site. In 1784 a group of Quakers established a school . . . — Map (db m6282) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Asbury HouseMount Vernon Place Methodist Church — 10 E. Mount Vernon Place —
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m102349) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Immigration History
Before 1821 immigrants from the German States, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, France, Haiti, as well as African slave arrived in Baltimore in relatively small numbers, fewer than 1,000 per year on average. From 1821 to . . . — Map (db m131173) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m5787) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bethel A.M.E. Church
The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal congregatoin is the oldest independent black institution in Baltimore. Its origins date back to the late 18th century, when blacks withdrew from the parent Methodist Church in protest against racially . . . — Map (db m6237) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — B'nai Israel Synagogue(originally Chizuk Amuno Synagogue)
The B'nai Israel Synagogue, erected in 1876, is the longest actively-used synagoue in Baltimore. It was built by Congregation Chizuk Amuno ("Strengthening of the Faith"), whose members had seceded from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation in 1870 to . . . — Map (db m7074) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bon Secours Hospital
Congregation of the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France in 1824, sent three members to Baltimore in May, 1881, at the request of Cardinal Gibbons. Their first U. S. convent opened at West Baltimore and Payson Streets the . . . — Map (db m2451) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building Atop the Burying Ground
When leaders of First Presbyterian Church decided to build an new church atop their 18th-century burying ground, they hoped to serve Baltimore’s growing west end and protect their burial place from being diverted to other uses. Construction . . . — Map (db m2413) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building Community OrganizationsPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
In the 1930s, Old West Baltimore matured into a self-sustaining, thriving community that nurtured the mind, body and spirit. Old West Baltimore was home to many churches, shops, professional offices, banks and financial institutions, educational . . . — Map (db m101752) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Mansion
Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737–1832), the last surviving, and only Roman Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, wintered here during the last twelve years of his life. Built circa 1808, the mansion is the grandest . . . — Map (db m3204) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — ChapelCrimea Estate
1919 Eagle Drive, Leakin Park, Chapel dedicated to Celeste Revillon Winans, 1823-1861 in memory of her commitment to feeding the hungry in Baltimore City.

Mayor Sheila Dixon, Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks, Friends of . . . — Map (db m102649) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Chapel of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Temple
This chapel designed by Maximilien Godefroy represents a unique combination of French Gothic and classical architecture; it was built of English brick and trimmed with Acquia Creek sandstone and stucco. The cornerstone was dedicated by Bishop . . . — Map (db m7187) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Church Home and Hospital1857-1982
Church Home and Hospital and the Church Home and Hospital Nursing Alumnae Association celebrates 142 years of compassionate care to the infirmed, injured and aged.

“We won’t forget the ensign on the hill” Dedicated April 30, 2000. — Map (db m102835) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — City Center
Just north of the Inner Harbor is Downtown's municipal, business and financial district, also referred to as City Center, a prime east coast location for corporate headquarters and financial institutions. City Center's most pervasive . . . — Map (db m115210) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Clover Hill(So named circa 1714)
Part of “Merryman’s Lott” 210 acres of virgin timberland granted by Lord Baltimore in 1688 to Charles Merryman, whose descendants farmed here until 1869. Stone house built in 19th century occupied by Bishops of Maryland since 1909, when . . . — Map (db m2452) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Community Growth and FaithPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Communities grow in direct proportion to their access to capital. Potential homebuyers and business owners in Old West Baltimore needed access to money. In 1896, Everett J. Waring, along with some of Baltimore’s most prominent African Americans, . . . — Map (db m101990) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Creating an American Culture: The Golden Age of BaltimoreMount Vernon Cultural Walk
During the early 19th century, Baltimore became, for a brief time, America’s second largest and fastest growing city. Baltimore led the world in shipbuilding, sail-cloth production, and flour milling. On Cathedral Hill, Baltimore’s business leaders . . . — Map (db m107314) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Holliday Street: A Stage for Culture, Politics, and WorshipHeritage Walk
The inscription on the main text is not legible.

(The inscription under the images on the left) 1st image For more than a century the Holliday Street Theater entertained Baltimoreans from a site across the street from City Hall. The original . . . — Map (db m102450) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Early Civil Rights EraPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
In pre-Civil War Baltimore, African Americans—such as Frederick Douglas, Daniel Coker, and William Watkins--- wrote some of the earliest and most important abolitionist treatises. After the Civil War, African Americans founded the Douglass . . . — Map (db m102079) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ebenezer AME Church
This church is part of the African Methodist Episcopal congregation, the oldest independent black institution in the country. The origins of the A.M.E. church date back to the late 18th century, when blacks withdrew from the parent Methodist Church . . . — Map (db m128640) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Etting Cemetery
Etting Cemetery Founded - 1799 The oldest Hebrew burial ground in Baltimore — Map (db m135065) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Exercising Freedom: Overcoming Racial and Religious BoundariesMount Vernon Cultural Walk
Contrary to Baltimore’s 19th century conservative appearance, Baltimoreans created progressive, diverse communities that expanded the nation’s racial and religious freedom. By the time of the Civil War, Baltimore had the largest free African . . . — Map (db m102390) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church, the oldest Black Baptist church in Maryland, was founded amidst turmoil in 1836, five years after Nat Turner's Rebellion in Virginia. Alarmed at the Rebellion, Maryland and other slave states passed laws restricting the . . . — Map (db m7564) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Baptist Church, Baltimore
On this site purchased in 1773, the first permanent meeting house, a dwelling for the pastor and a school house were erected and a cemetery established for the First Baptist Church of Baltimore Town. The present and fourth building of the church is . . . — Map (db m2599) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Methodist Episcopal Church1816 1916
The Sunday School of the First Methodist Episcopal Church opened by the Asbury Sunday School Society November 17, 1816. Oldest Sunday School in Baltimore. Erected this tablet October 21 1916 in commemoration of the centenary of the Asbury Sunday . . . — Map (db m102710) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Unitarian Church
. . . — Map (db m5643) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Foundation on Which to Build a CommunityPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Churches serve as more than places of worship in Baltimore’s black communities. Led by strong clergy, African American churches have nurtured the soul, fed, clothed, and housed the poor, fought for civil rights, supported business and job placement, . . . — Map (db m101671) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Francis Scott Key
Author of The Star Spangled Banner departed this life on the site of this building Jan. 11, 1843. “And this be our motto In God is our Trust” —Key — Map (db m5558) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — George Washington Bicentennial Marker
This elm has watched the growth of "Baltimore Towne" for over 100 years, on former estate of John Eager Howard, Revolutionary and 1812 Officer and fifth governor of Maryland. Here, in "Howard's Woods", Count De Rochambeau's troops camped, 1782, . . . — Map (db m5563) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Grace and St. Peter's Church
Built for Grace Church in 1852, this was one of the first Gothic Revival churches in the South to use Connecticut brownstone. St. Peter's Church, founded in 1802, and Grace Church, founded in 1850, were united in 1912. This union is symbolized by . . . — Map (db m6013) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Greek Orthodox Cathedral
The circular stone church is one of the most unusual buildings in Baltimore. Designed by Charles E. Cassell in Romanesque style with Byzantine touches, it was built for the Associate Reformed Church in 1889. Eighteen polished granite columns support . . . — Map (db m102335) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Henry Highland Garnet Park
This is a community park developed by the Special Impact Neighborhood Improvement Program and the Department of Recreatoin and Parks dedicated to the memory of Henry Highland Garnet by the Henry Highland Garnet Neighborhood Council. Henry . . . — Map (db m6236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Honor Roll
"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain." 1941 World War II 1945 Michael P. Angelonga U.S.A. Joseph Balek U.S.A. Jess Barton U.S.A. Andrew Baumer U.S.A. Kilian J. Buettner U.S.A. Carroll L. Caples . . . — Map (db m145466) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Honor Roll
Erected in honor of the men and women of Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish who served their country in World War II 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m145534) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Memory of Dr. Lillie May Jackson
Servant of God, Champion of the People, Mother of Freedom May 25, 1976 Erected by the Association for Study of Afro-American Life and History In Cooperation with the Amoco Foundation, Inc. — Map (db m6238) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James Cardinal Gibbons
At this site, on July 23, 1834, was born America’s first Prince of the Church, James Cardinal Gibbons. Although world-renowned for the influence and profoundness of his thought he was always the parish priest striving for the salvation of . . . — Map (db m2703) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James Cardinal Gibbons Monument
James Cardinal Gibbons Archbishop of Baltimore Devoted Churchman Exemplary Citizen Friend of Humanity July 23, 1834 March 24, 1921 Citizens of many faiths hereby honor a great American — Map (db m102377) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James L. (Jim) Caskey, Jr.(1945-1999)
Jim Caskey, who lived at 523 Scott Street, served his Southwest Baltimore neighbors in many ways. He co-founded and long served as Treasurer of the South Baltimore Federal Credit Union, which for many years was located in this building, 788 . . . — Map (db m103204) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Leadenhall Baptist Church
After the Civil War, a large number of black Baptists migrated to Baltimore. This church was organized in 1872 by black Baptists of the Sharp-Leadenhall area, with the help of the Maryland Baptist Union Association. It is the second oldest church . . . — Map (db m6358) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lloyd Street Synagogue
The Lloyd Street Synagogue, dedicated in 1845, is the first synagogue erected in Maryland and the third oldest surviving synagogue in the United States. A simple, elegant building in the popular Greek Revival style, it was designed for the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m7072) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lloyd Street SynagogueHistoric Baltimore
. . . — Map (db m98100) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Loring Cornish / How Great Thou Art
[Left plaque:] Baltimore artist Loring Cornish, known for his colorful mosaics and personality, moving to California Artist Loring Cornish, whose glass and found-object mosaics have beautified homes on Eutaw Street, a former . . . — Map (db m118456) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Morgan State University
Welcome to Morgan State University For over 140 years, Morgan State University has been an important part of the higher education system in Baltimore City, the State of Maryland, and the nation. Throughout its history, Morgan has served the . . . — Map (db m145933) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mother Seton House
This house, built around 1807, was the home of Saint Elizabeth Bayley Seton, the first American-born canonized saint of the Roman Catholic Church. Born in New York to a prominent Protestant family, Elizabeth Ann Bayley married William M. Seton . . . — Map (db m5986) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Auburn Cemetery
Oldest cemetery for African Americans in Baltimore, founded in 1872 by Rev. James Peck, pastor, and trustees of Sharp Street Methodist Episcopal Church. Dating to 1787, the congregation served the community and was influential in the freedom . . . — Map (db m13540) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Vernon Cultural District
Mount Vernon Cultural District provides an unequaled richness of cultural experience. Since the founding of the Peabody Institute in 1857, Mount Vernon has enjoyed a continuing association with the arts. Nineteenth Century Philanthropist George . . . — Map (db m142378) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church
[photo caption] The Washington Monument, Baltimore. This view of Mount Vernon Place, circa 1848, shows the home of Charles and Phoebe Key Howard ot the right of the monument. Conceived as a "Cathedral of Methodism" the Mount Vernon Place . . . — Map (db m7948) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mt. Olivet Cemetery
The burial place of Methodist pioneers including Bishops Francis Asbury, Enoch George, John Emory and Beverly Waugh, also Robert Strawbridge, first preacher in Maryland and Jesse Lee, founder in New England. Site of 1966 Methodist Bicentennial time . . . — Map (db m33697) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Notre Dame Convent
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m131344) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old Otterbein Church
"Mother Church" of the United Brethren in Christ. First chapel erected 1771, present edifice, 1785. Burial place of the denomination's founder, Philip Wilhelm Otterbein, pastor, 1774-1813. Lovely Lane Chapel, "Mother Church of American Methodism," . . . — Map (db m13573) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old St. Paul's
St. Paul's Church (Episcopal) stands on the only property that has remained under the same ownership since the original survey of Baltimore Town in 1730. In that year, Lot. No. 19, the highest point in the new town, was granted to St. Paul's Parish; . . . — Map (db m92305) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On to YorktownWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route Historic Tail — Road to Victory —
Coming from their camp at White Marsh in the early afternoon of Wednesday, 12 September 1781, the First Brigade of French forces, consisting of the infantry regiments Bourbonnais and Royal Deux-Ponts marched into Baltimore on Pulaski Highway [US . . . — Map (db m97308) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Orchard Street Church
In 1882, when the present building of the Orchard Street Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated, it was called “an honor to the colored race and handsome ornament to the city.” The Orchard Street congregation commissioned architect . . . — Map (db m101925) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Patapsco Friends Meeting House
On this site was erected Patapsco Friends Meeting House 6th Mo. 12th, 1681 is the earliest record of this meeting Removed to Aisquith & Fayette Sts. Baltimore Town 2nd Mo. 22nd, 1781 — Map (db m65715) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Pope John Paul II Monument
Pope John Paul II on the occasion of his visit to Baltimore October 8 1995 Maryland holds a special place in the history of American Catholicism, indeed in the religious history of the nation. It was here that religious freedom and . . . — Map (db m102379) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Rectory of Old St. Paul’s Parish
Incorporated 1692, 37 years before Baltimore Town itself, St. Paul’s moved to this vicinity in 1731. It was City’s first place of public worship. this rectory, the “parsonage on the hill” built 1788–1791 on half acre lot given by . . . — Map (db m2538) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Rev. Dr. Vernon Nathaniel Dodson Memorial
In Memory of Rev. Dr. Vernon Nathaniel Dobson, October 29, 1923-January 26, 2013. A Civil Rights Leader who Marched from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama with Dr. King. Helped desegregate Gwynn Oak Amusement Park, Founded the Maryland Food Bank, . . . — Map (db m101655) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Romance of a Romantic
This bench was the famed make out spot of F Scott Fitzgerald, one of Mt. Vernon's most famous residents. The American author and playboy was known for bringing his dates here for a romantic rendezvous. Of course, this all happened after his wife, . . . — Map (db m7722) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Sailors Union Church
In July 1846, a battered and storm-tossed hulk, the William Penn, was moored at the pier at Light Street wharf across from what is now the McCormick building. A ship chandler, a rigger and other local merchants with interests in the shipping . . . — Map (db m7076) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Saint Mary's World Wars I and II Memorial
In memory of the members of Saint Mary's Parish who served our country in the World Wars Let us pray for those who made the supreme sacrifice — Map (db m128737) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Sharp Street Memorial Church
Named in honor of its original location, Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church descends from the first black congregation in Baltimore. In 1797, blacks gatehred at 112-116 Sharp Street, where the Maryland Society for the Abolition of Slavery . . . — Map (db m6239) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Site of Poe’s Death
This structure, now the east building of Church Hospital, was erected in 1836, to house the Washington Medical College. Edgar Allan Poe, author, and poet, was brought here, ill and semi-conscious, on October 3, 1849 and died four days later. In . . . — Map (db m2426) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Solo Gibbs Park
Solo Gibbs Park was created in 1979 when 1-395 was built. The 1869 Sachse Bird's Eye View Illustrated Map shows the once larger neighborhood where, since the late 1700s a free African American community lived, worked and worshipped along side . . . — Map (db m6356) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Alphonsus Parish World War II Memorial
To the glory of God and in honor of the 581 men and women from St. Alphonsus Parish who served their country in the Second World War 1941-1945.

(Listing of the men and women)

“Eternal rest grant unto them; O Lord, and let perpetual . . . — Map (db m103778) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church
On July 9, 1793, at 3:00 P.M. there arrived in the port of Baltimore at Fells Point a ship, The Guineaman, carrying blacks, slave and free, from Santo Domingo. They were French speaking and Catholic. They formed a Eucharistic community that would . . . — Map (db m7568) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Francis Xavier Church
Dedicated on February 21, 1864, St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church was the first black parish in the U.S. The church originated in the 1790s due to the efforts of the Sulpician Fathers and the Oblate Sisters of Providence to provide education and . . . — Map (db m7563) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Ignatius Church
St. Ignatius Church opened August 15, 1856. Designed by Henry Hamilton Pittar and Louis L. Long, it was the second unit to be completed in the block-long complex that stretches from Madison to Monument Streets. In 1855, the porticoed central section . . . — Map (db m6125) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Leo The Great Church1881
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m60982) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Mary's Seminary
Here, at the One Mile Tavern, in 1791, the Fathers of St. Sulpice (Paris, France) founded St. Mary's, the first Roman Catholic Seminary in the United States. Maryland was then a center of Catholic activity, with Baltimore having been selected at the . . . — Map (db m7186) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Mary's Seminary Chapel
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m7185) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Peter Claver Church
“The Church will have its glory in triumph in the colored race, and, for aught I know, be the salvation of this nation.” So stated the Rt. Reverend A.A. Curtis, Bishop of Wilmington, Delaware, in his dedication service for St. Peter . . . — Map (db m101947) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Stanislaus Kostka Church
Coming to Maryland in 1868, the first major influx of Poles settled at Fells Point where, at 223 S. Bond Street beginning in 1877, they conducted their religious services. Under Rev. Peter Koncz (1839-1886), they organized the Parish of St. . . . — Map (db m6456) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Vincent de Paul Church
St. Vincent de Paul Church is the oldest Catholic parish church in the city. The church was built in 1840-1841 to accommodate the growing Irish Catholic population east of the Jones Falls. Its gleaming white Georgian tower has long been recognized . . . — Map (db m2600) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Vincent de Paul Church
Third oldest Catholic Church in Baltimore. Noted for the rare purity of Georgian architecture. Cornerstone laid May 21, 1840 by Archbishop Eccleston and the bishops of the Fourth Provincial Council. Dedicated by Archbishop Eccleston November 7, . . . — Map (db m6301) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American ExperiencePennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Welcome to the Pennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail – a journey through Baltimore’s premier historic African American community. Here you will meet civil rights leaders, artists and musicians, attend historic African American churches, and . . . — Map (db m101722) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American ExperiencePennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Welcome to the Pennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail – a journey through Baltimore’s premier historic African American community. Here you will meet civil rights leaders, artists and musicians, attend historic African American churches, and . . . — Map (db m101974) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American ExperiencePennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Welcome to the Pennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail – a journey through Baltimore’s premier historic African American community. Here you will meet civil rights leaders, artists and musicians, attend historic African American churches, and . . . — Map (db m101976) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Taylor’s Chapel
The Taylor family, whose land holdings in area by end of 17th century were extensive, constructed of logs on this site c. 1770 a Quaker Meeting House, later used for Methodist services. It was razed when present stone chapel was built in 1853. . . . — Map (db m114577) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The First Unitarian Church of Baltimore
(Unitarian and Universalist) Founded as the First Independent Church of Baltimore Maximilian Godefroy, Architect, 1817 — Map (db m5645) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The First Unitarian Church of Baltimore(Universalist and Unitarian)
In 1817, when Baltimore Town boasted 60,000 inhabitants and Mount Vernon Place was still a forest, a group of leading citizens met in the home of Henry Payson "to form a religious society and build a church for Christians who are Unitarian and . . . — Map (db m7168) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Lovely Lane Meeting House
Upon this site stood from 1774 to 1786 The Lovely Lane Meeting House in which was organized December 1784 The Methodist Episcopal Church in The United States of America — Map (db m7039) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Md. Prince Hall Masons
"The Md. Prince Hall Masons acquired this Temple from the congregation of Oheb Shalom, November 1960, built by them in 1891." Williard W. Allen, Grand Master Emeritus Samuel T. Daniels, Grand Master — Map (db m6551) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Oblate Sisters of ProvidenceJuly 2, 1829
At this site, 610 George Street, under the leadership of foundress, Mother Mary Lange, four women took vows of consecrated chastity, evangelical poverty, and religious obedience. Thus began the Oblate Sisters of Providence, the first Congregation of . . . — Map (db m5559) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Revels
Erected circa 1844 by the Mt. Zion Baptist Church. Sold in 1847 to the First Presbyterian Church (now at the corner of Madison and Park). In 1850, assigned to the African American members of the church, who renamed it Madison Street Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m71892) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Thomas J. O’Neill
Thomas J. O’Neill 1849-1919-Founder of O’Neill & Company Department Store. He left the business to his employees. He bequeathed the funds that built Good Samaritan Hospital and the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen. — Map (db m142861) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Union Baptist Church
Union Baptist Church incorporated on May 10, 1852 as the second-oldest Negro Baptist church in Baltimore. This structure was built at a cost of $51,256 and dedicated on December 17, 1905. Architect William J. Beardsley designed the church in a Late . . . — Map (db m101636) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Westminster Hall & Burying Ground: Where Baltimore's History Rests in Peace
Welcome to Westminster Burying Ground, one of Baltimore's oldest graveyards and the burial place of Edgar Allan Poe. This introduction is the first of many interpretive signs describing Westminster's origins and significance, and some of the people . . . — Map (db m6621) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Zion Lutheran Church
Founder in 1755, Zion Church is the oldest Lutheran congregation in Maryland. German Lutherans began settling in Baltimore Town shortly after it was laid out in 1730. Relying on itinerant preachers from Pennsylvania, the small struggling community . . . — Map (db m2714) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Old Salem Church and GraveyardNational Register of Historic Places — United States Department of the Interior —
Salemsgemeinde, the German Evangelical Lutheran Salem Congregation, was founded September 30, 1849 by German immigrants, many from Bavaria. The congregation dedicated this Gothic Revival style church June 16, 1850. That year the congregation built a . . . — Map (db m115248) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Cornerstone from Wesley ChapelHistorical Society of Baltimore County
Cornerstone from Wesley Chapel-Located on Wesley Chapel Road, 0.3 miles west of Troyer Road, Monkton. Second church at the site built 1888, destroyed by fire c. 1900, rebuilt in 1901, dismantled in 1976 due to declining membership. Cemetery still . . . — Map (db m137215) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Battle Ground Methodist Episcopal Church
Erected by the Patriotic Order Sons of America of Maryland, In the year of the National Star-Spangled Banner Centennial 1914. This building, known as the Battle Ground Methodist Episcopal Church, was occupied by General Stricker, . . . — Map (db m115241) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Edgemere — The Presbytery of Baltimore
The Presbytery of Baltimore here commemorates the first regular services of the Presbyterian Church within its bounds. These were held by the Rev. Hugh Conn in the neighboring house of Thomas Todd in March 1714-15. — Map (db m68530) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Ellicott City — The George Ellicott House
This house was built in 1789 by George Ellicott, a Quaker, who was a miller, surveyor, merchant and astronomer. He was friend and advisor to America's first black man of science, Benjamin Banneker, who visited here. He also entertained Chief Little . . . — Map (db m193) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fork — Fork United Methodist Church
Oldest Methodist Congregation in Maryland worshipping in its original location. Organized as Fork Meeting by Robert Strawbridge. Land near “The Forks of the Gunpowder” given in 1771 by James Baker, who converted to Methodism under the . . . — Map (db m1928) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Garrison — Garrison Forest Church(St. Thomas Parish)
A frontier parish church authorized by Act of Assembly 1742 as “a Chapel of Ease for the Forest Inhabitants” of Saint Paul’s Parish (Baltimore). Reverend Thomas Craddock inducted as first minister January 14, 1745. — Map (db m2070) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Glyndon — Emory Grove
Founded in 1868 for the purpose of promoting the cause of morality and religion by holding camp meetings under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Incorporated 1871 and reincorporated 1884 under present name of the Emory Grove . . . — Map (db m2066) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Hydes — St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church
First Roman Catholic Church in (present) Baltimore County founded in 1822. One and one half miles southeast of Sweet Air, one half mile northeast of Manor Road. Building destroyed by fire February 25, 1855. Parish relocated to present site. First . . . — Map (db m1929) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Kingsville — Saint John’s Parish(Gunpowder) — Established 1692 —
The old church here standing was built by Edward Day at his own expense and consecrated in 1817 to replace Saint John’s at Joppa Town which, built in 1725, lay in ruins. — Map (db m1921) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lansdowne — Lansdowne Christian ChurchHull Memorial
This church is a monument to one Civil Wary veteran’s love for his comrades. Charles W. Hull and his wife, Mary A. Hull, gave the land and the building as a memorial to the men who fought to preserve the Union. The deed stipulated that a memorial . . . — Map (db m115237) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lutherville-Timonium — Lutherville Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places — U.S. Department of the Interior, 1972 —
Lutherville, named for Martin Luther, was founded, 1852, by Dr. John G. Morris, a Lutheran clergyman, as the location of Lutherville Female Seminary. The planned village, centering around the Lutheran Church and Seminary, was surveyed into 118 lots . . . — Map (db m2298) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lutherville-Timonium — Sater’s Church1742
Pioneer of the Maryland Baptist denomination. Only eternity, interpeted by God, can make known the moral, mental and spiritual work of the “Mother Church” of the Baptists of Maryland. Founded by Henry Sater 1690–1754. Resolute and . . . — Map (db m2278) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lutherville-Timonium — Saters Church1742
On land granted by the Fifth Lord Baltimore, Henry Sater, gentleman planter, founded this first church of Baptists in Maryland. To the congregation he deeded a plot and chapel “forever to the end of the world.” — Map (db m2276) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Monkton — St. James’sMy Lady’s Manor
Established 1750 as a Chapel of Ease in the Parish of St. John’s of Joppa. In a brick chapel 60 x 30 feet, now the transept, was finished on this site “in the fork of the Gunpowder River” at the cost of 790 pounds. In 1770 by Act of the . . . — Map (db m2054) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Oella — Edges of Earth's Crust Collided Here... in the Patapsco Heritage Area
The rock looming in this cut here on the #9 Trolley Trial was once liquid magma that squeezed into a fault between pieces of the Earth's crust, then cooled to form Ellicott City granite. In the mighty construction project of 1898, workers . . . — Map (db m144722) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Owings Mills — Jewish Armed Forces Memorial
Dedicated to all Jewish men and women of Maryland who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America during War and Peace. — American Revolution Civil War Spanish-American War World War I World War II Korea . . . — Map (db m131335) WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Perry Hall — Camp Chapel
The site of camp meetings between 1776 and 1807, when a log chapel was built. Methodist leader Francis Asbury visited frequently. — Map (db m9581) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Perry Hall — Harry Dorsey Gough1745-1808 — Maryland History —
The founder of Perry Hall, Gough owned a 1,300 acre estate that bordered the Gunpowder Falls. He dominated commerce in Northeast Baltimore County during the colonial period. An active supporter of the Methodist church, he sheltered Francis Asbury . . . — Map (db m9611) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Perry Hall — Harry Dorsey Gough
The founder of Perry Hall, Gough and his wife Prudence sheltered Methodist leaders at the Perry Hall Mansion between 1775 and 1808. — Map (db m18235) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Randallstown — 222 — Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and CemeteryAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Mt. Paran Church was incorporated September 18, 1841. The chruch was called Soldier’s Delight prior to 1841 and that congregation began circa 1776. The oldest legible tombstone is that of Robert Gilchrist, dated October 17, 1767. The oldest known . . . — Map (db m122235) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Randallstown — New Tavern
Built in 1802 by Robert Ward, the tavern served traffic to and from the west. This was an early Methodist preaching place until 1845. Woodstock Seminarians held Catholic Services here in 1875 for Chrome Mine workers of Soldiers Delight. Holdbrook . . . — Map (db m2098) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Epsom Chapel
Built 1839 and located just West of this marker on land donated by Henry B. Chew of Epsom Estate, the chapel served Towsontown both as church and community center. The chapel was first used by Methodists and became the cradle of Methodism in Towson. . . . — Map (db m36851) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Hunt’s ChurchA Methodist Society Established in 1773.
First meeting house built on this site 1780. Previously met in Phineas Hunt’s House, still standing on Joppa Road. His grave is nearby. The present church building was erected in 1874. — Map (db m2281) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — The Colored Methodist Protestant St. John’s Chapel of Baltimore County1833
Originally constructed as a log cabin in 1833, St. John’s Chapel and land adjacent thereto served the local black community as a house of worship and burying ground. Services had been held in the present chapel since its construction in 1886. The . . . — Map (db m2286) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — The Fern Karesh Hurst '68 Terrace
Fern Karesh Hurst, Class of 1968, came to Goucher College from Charleston, South Carolina. She graduated with a degree in political science and received a master's degree in city planning from the University of Pennsylvania. An advocate for Goucher . . . — Map (db m144052) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Upperco — St. Paul’s Lutheran Church (LCA)
Believed to be the oldest existing Lutheran Congregation in Baltimore County. It was begun as a Union Church in the early 1700’s. The reformed congregation worshiping in the same building. The first recorded communion was in 1794. The first house of . . . — Map (db m2058) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Dunkirk — Smithville United Methodist Church
The brick church, dedicated in 1840, is the oldest standing Methodist church in Calvert County. The Calvert Circuit began in 1781 with services in homes. By 1789 this circuit had the largest membership in the United States. Fielder B. Smith gave . . . — Map (db m3417) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Middleham Chapel
Founded, 1684, as a chapel of ease in Christ Church parish and named for Middleham, Yorkshire, England. The site has been used for worship since the founding, but the chapel was rebuilt in 1748. The bell, given by John Holdsworth, is dated 1699. — Map (db m3436) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — Christ Church(Episcopal) — 1672 —
One of the original parishes of the Province of Maryland and Calvert County’s oldest continuously worshipping congregation, Christ Church began with a log church standing as early as 1672. Christ Church parish, 1692, included all the land south of . . . — Map (db m3441) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — St. John’s Holiness Church
On this site stood St. John’s Holiness Church. Dedicated 1900. Removed 1936. Rededicated to Prince Frederick Methodist Cemetery Corporation 1986. — Map (db m3455) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Parish House180 Farren Avenue
Built in 1954. After acquisition by CBL in 1991, it was named after the Solomons Episcopal Rectory and Parish House formerly occupying the site part of which had been used by CBL founder Dr. R. V. Truitt as a research laboratory. Home . . . — Map (db m138620) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — The Ark of Hungerford Creek
The Ark of Hungerford Creek has its origin thousands of miles away in Stettin, Germany, with the construction in 1906 of passenger liner Kronprinzessin Cecilie for the North German Lloyd company. After a number of transatlantic voyages the . . . — Map (db m138614) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Sunderland — All Saints Episcopal Church
All Saints, one of the original parishes of Maryland, included all the land north of Hunting Creek in Calvert County. The present church was started in 1774 by exchange of tobacco under the rectorship of Reverend Thomas John Clagett, later the first . . . — Map (db m3470) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Sunderland — The First All Saints Church
Authorized in 1692 by the Maryland Assembly the first All Saints (log) Church was built near this site "at the cross-roads of the Severn Ridge Path and the road leading to Coxtown" on land donated by early French Huguenot settler Thomas Hilleary . . . — Map (db m3471) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Bell from First Methodist Church
This bell was originally located in the First Methodist (M.E.) Church on Market Street. It is believed the bell was installed during its construction in 1867. — Map (db m137764) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Neck Meeting House
Neck or Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House was built in 1802 by members of the Society of Friends who had been Nicholites, a sect that originated in Caroline County. The building was used as a house of worship and as a Friends School until 1897. The . . . — Map (db m5075) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Hillsboro — St. Paul’s Episcopal Church(St. John’s Parish)
Established 1748 at nearby Tuckahoe Bridge in Queen Anne's County. Congregation built church here in 1768, but it fell into decline as influence of Methodism grew on Eastern Shore. Under guidance of Rev. Robert William Goldsborough, present Gothic . . . — Map (db m3393) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Mt. Pleasant M. E. Church1864 - 1962
Mt. Pleasant M. E. Church served the communities of Preston, Elwood, Tanyard, Jonestown and Marsh Creek. The church grew spiritually and financially for many years fostering many local preachers.

Dedicated leaders of the Sunday School, choir, . . . — Map (db m98434) HM

Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Preston
Started 1846 around Frazier's Chapel, an early Methodist Church, the land for which was purchased 1797. First called "Snowhill", the name was changed to Preston 1856, in honor of a prominent Baltimore lawyer. Preston was chartered as a town 1892. — Map (db m3365) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Site of Frazier’s ChapelPreston, Maryland, 1785
Built by Rev. Freeborn Garrettson and Captain William Frazier. Early Methodist pastors included Jesse Lee, Joseph Everette and Bishops Francis Asbury and John Emory. Remodeled and named Bethesda 1849. Present church built 1875. Rebuilt 1958. — Map (db m3362) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — The Underground RailroadSeed of War
Among the factors that contributed to the coming of the Civil War was the increasing animosity between Southerners and Northerners over the issue of slavery. The operation of the Underground Railroad to help slaves escape to the free North and . . . — Map (db m5411) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Eldersburg — Wesley Chapel
This property Wesley Chapel has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m144067) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Finksburg — Sandy Mount United Methodist Church
1827-1977 An original one acre was deeded in 1827 by Allen and Susannah Baker. Civil War issues divided the congregation in 1856 and Pleasant Grove Church was founded. A log meeting house was replaced in 1867 by a stone structure built of local . . . — Map (db m36846) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Keysville — Francis Scott Key
Francis Scott Key Author of The Star Spangled Banner Gave This Ground For Church And School Purposes In 1823 Erected by The P.O.S. of A. Of Maryland June 10, 1916 — Map (db m80086) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Manchester — German Church1760
Near here was located a place of worship described as the "Evangelical Lutheran and, according to God's word, reformed, and on both sides, protestant congregations called the German Churche." Continuous worship for 200 years on this site marks it as . . . — Map (db m3490) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Birthplace of American MethodismRobert Strawbridge † 1781
The Pioneer Preacher of American Methodism purchased from John England, Sr. this house and farm March 2, 1773. A part of England's Chance and Brother's Inheritance, on which he had lived for 13 years since his coming to American 1760. Here he . . . — Map (db m81102) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — John Evans House, 1764Methodist Land Mark
First convert lived here 1764–1827, first class met here 1768–1809, first preacher Robert Strawbridge, first bishop Francis Asbury, preached here. Bicentenary of Methodism, 1962. — Map (db m3022) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Methodist Historical Marker
Poulson Chapel, c.1763. Stone Chapel, 1783. Rebuilt 1800 and 1883. — Map (db m3491) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Robert Strawbridge
The first preacher of Methodism in America. He formed at his house (still standing, 1938) one-half mile east of here the first Class and the first Society of American Methodism. He built the first log meeting house (1764) for Methodists in America . . . — Map (db m3561) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Robert Strawbridge House
Here Robert Strawbridge formed the first Methodist class in America about 1763. Nearby he built the first log meeting house. Although without official sanction American Methodists first received Baptism and Holy Communion by his hand. Named national . . . — Map (db m3021) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Strawbridge Log Meeting House Site
Built in 1764 by Robert Strawbridge, the first Methodist place of worship erected in America. Successors are Stone Chapel (1783) 3 miles northeast, and Bethel (1821) 1 mile south. ← — Map (db m3020) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — Springfield Presbyterian Church
Springfield Presbyterian Church Built 1836 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m50193) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — St. Joseph's Roman Catholic ChurchBuilt 1868
Has been place on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m50195) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — The Strawbridge Home for Boys
This stone gate was part of the original entrance to The Strawbridge Home for Boys Old Sykesville Road, MD Route 32 Sykesville, Maryland 1924-1959 The Strawbridge Home was dedicated to the protection, training and development of young . . . — Map (db m133832) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — "Steps of the Sisters"St. Joseph Parish School — 1917 - 1972 —

School Sisters of Notre Dame

[Names of Sisters]

Dedication June 3, 2012 — Map (db m91273) HM

Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — Everyone is Welcome
Settlers like German Protestants along with the French-and English-speaking Roman Catholics brought their unique cultures and their different religious denominations to Taneytown. By the 1750s, the German Reformed Church had organized its . . . — Map (db m65104) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — Painting the Town Red
John Augustus Dempwolf, a Pennsylvania architect, was asked to design Trinity Lutheran Church in 1896. He had previously designed the Taneytown Presbyterian Church in 1883 and the Hagan House and Grocery Store in 1890. Several other prominent . . . — Map (db m80555) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Union Bridge — “Pipe Creek Meeting”
About 1735 William Farquhar and Ann his wife held a Friends (Quaker) Meeting at his house. In 1771 he deeded two acres of land on which the Meeting House and burying ground are located. Ex-President Hoover’s ancestors were members of this Meeting. — Map (db m3015) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — First Lutheran Parsonage
First Lutheran Parsonage Serving the five churches of the Westminster Charge 1854-1870 — Map (db m114407) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Calvert — Brick Meeting House
William Penn set aside lot no. 30 (500 acres) of the “Nottingham Lots” in 1702 for a “common” and site of a “meeting house” as a bold move in the boundary line dispute with Lord Baltimore. It has been continuously . . . — Map (db m147740) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Calvert — Calvert Village
40-acre grant from William Penn in 1701 on which present East Nottingham Friends Meeting House built, 1724, with stone addition completed in 1752. Used as American army hospital in 1778. Cross Keys Tavern, built in 1744, was mid-way on Old . . . — Map (db m145437) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — “Labadie Tract”Comprising 3750 Acres
Obtained in 1684 from Augustine Herman by the religious sect called Labadists. Here they led an austere form of communistic life but disintegrated about 1698. — Map (db m1566) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — St. Augustine’s Church
First called “Mannour Chappel” a chapel of ease of North Sassafras Parish. Established in Bohemia Manor in compliance with an act of the Maryland Assembly, 1692. Erected as a separate parish in 1744. — Map (db m1565) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Colora — West Nottingham Academy
Founded 1744 by by Samuel Finley, Presbyterian Minister and a native of County Armagh, Ireland. He remained in charge of the academy and church until 1761 when he was chosen President of the College of New Jersey, now Princeton University. — Map (db m145626) HM

523 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 323
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020