Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Caddo Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Belcher Mound Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, August 3, 2015
Belcher Mound Marker
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Belcher Mound — Historic Site
A Caddo mound and village dating between approximately 1450 & 1650 A.D. were located northeast of Belcher. The mound consisted of a series of platforms that contained houses or meeting places for the village leaders. The houses were burned . . . — Map (db m87132) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Belcher Presbyterian Church — Historic Site
Belcher Presbyterian Church was organized on July 18, 1897, as the Red River Presbyterian Church. The congregation met in a vacant store building on Rush Point Plantation where services were held until 1900, when a one room frame building was . . . — Map (db m87130) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Cedar Bluff Ferry — Historic Site
Cedar Bluff Ferry was one of the ferries on the Red River between Bossier and Caddo Parishes in the 19th and early 20th century. It operated until the early 1950s when a bridge was built to the north for Highway 2. It ran from Cedar Bluff in Bossier . . . — Map (db m87160) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — First State Bank of Belcher — Historic Site
The First State bank of Belcher was organized in 1913. The present brick building was designed by the architect Edward F. Neild of Shreveport and built in 1924. The First State Bank later became Caddo Trust & Savings Bank the Belcher Masonic Lodge . . . — Map (db m87128) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Louisiana Maneuvers Led by General Patton — Historic Site
During the Louisiana Maneuvers of 1941, the U.S. Army and Air Corps divided itself into two opposing armies for practice for possible war in Europe. Among the noted commanders in the maneuvers, was General George S. Patton. His mechanized armored . . . — Map (db m87133) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Lynn Plantation — Historic Site
The plantation was established in 1914 by James Wiley Lynn with the purchase of property from the Cavett family. The plantation home, the cotton gin and the blacksmith shop were built by Mr. Lynn in 1928. The renovated dogtrot style home, the barn . . . — Map (db m87159) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — The Ruben V. Glassell House
The original house was built in 1899 by Ruben V. Glassell, a planter, and his wife Vivian. It faced west and had a center hall in the dogtrot style. Around 1910 interior columns and porches on the south and east sides were added, and the south side . . . — Map (db m87129) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — First Over Water Oil Well
The world’s first over water oil well was completed in Caddo Lake in 1911. The Ferry Lake No. 1 was erected by Gulf Refining Co. The well bottomed at 2,185 feet and produced 450 barrels per day. — Map (db m87158) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — Huddie “Leadbelly” Ledbetter
Blues singer from Mooringsport, La. (1888-1949). He played 12 string guitar on Shreveport’s Fannin St., sang his way out of prison, and became a folk hero with songs like “Goodnight Irene,” “Bourgeois Blues,” and . . . — Map (db m139521) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — Oil City
In the early 1900's this was a small logging community known as Ananies. In 1906, the first discovery oil well in the field, the Savage No. 1, was brought in. Around 1908 the name of the town was changed to Oil City, by 1910 the population had . . . — Map (db m87161) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Rodessa — Discovery-Rodessa Oil Field
United Gas Public Service Company, discovered the Rodessa Oil Field one mile west of this historical marker on July 7, 1935. Rodessa was a “Boom Town” a few weeks later. United’s L.L. Young No. 1, Lease 6875, Sec.21-23N-16W Rodessa . . . — Map (db m128263) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Rodessa — Frog Level — Later Rodessa "History"
Frog Level and Rodessa A town meeting was called in the 1800’s by Noah Tyson Sr., store owner, police juror and post master, to name their town. The frogs were hollering in a nearby pond. A man from Alabama jumped up and said, “Let’s name . . . — Map (db m128259) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — 3rd Caddo Courthouse
Parish Judge Washington Jenkins, on Nov. 4, 1840, sold his 2-story frame house to Caddo Parish for a courthouse. A jail replaced the kitchen. Courthouse was sold at foreclosure in 1855 at its own door. — Map (db m138770) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — 525 Spring Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m109773) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — 530 Kirby Place — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built circa 1859 as a farm house. Probably Highland's oldest surviving house. Originally located at the present site of Creswell School. — Map (db m143537) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — A.C. Steere School — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built as Broadmoor School in 1929. Renamed in memory of Albert Coldwell Steere (1879-1930), influential businessman, philanthropist and real estate developer, and creator of Broadmoor area. Expanded 1938. Listed in National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m143801) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Allendale Fire — Historic Site — Shreveport —
At this location, on Sept. 4, 1925, the most disatrous [sic] fire in Shreveport's history erupted when a hot water heater exploded. Although Fire Station No. 4 was located across the street, a broken water main rendered it helpless to fight . . . — Map (db m142907) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Austin Place Houses — Historic Site — Shreveport —
752, The Hauser House, built 1867, remodelled c.1880. 754-56, The Cooke House, built c.1870. 758, The Dalzell House, built c.1870, was once rectory of St. Mark's Episcopal Church. Austin Place was originally known as Christian Street. — Map (db m140833) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Barret Place — Historic Site — Shreveport —
House built 1908 by Lt. Governor Thomas Charles Barett on property purchased by his father in 1866. Acquired by Mr. & Mrs. William M. Barett in 1938. — Map (db m143030) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Beyond a Reasonable Doubt — Film Location
When the Caddo Parish Courthouse was built in 1926 it was the third one erected on this same plot of land and cost $1,2500,000. At the time of its dedication on April 21, 1928 it was debt free, paid for by taxpayers with a five year . . . — Map (db m139869) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Bishop Leonidas Polk
Conducted First Episcopal Service in Shreveport March 24, 1839. St. Paul's Church Formed 1845. Renamed Grace Church 1851. Renamed St. Mark's 1859. St. Mark's Relocated 1954. Holy Cross Organized 1954. — Map (db m139948) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Bliss-Hoyer House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1912 for planter Abel Bliss and wife Nettie Later home to the Hoyer family. Ewald Max Hoyer was first Mayor of Bossier City (1907) but resided in Shreveport afterward. Hugo Hoyer established Centuries Memorial Park. The house was later the . . . — Map (db m138825) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — C.E. Byrd High School — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1925 as New Shreveport High School. Re-named 1926 in memory of prominent local educator Dr. Clifton Ellis Byrd, who laid the building's cornerstone. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1991. — Map (db m143741) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Caddo Parish Courthouse
Third Courthouse to occupy site since 1860. First Courthouse on site served as Louisiana's Confederate Statehouse during Civil War. Present Courthouse designed by Neild & Somdal architectural firm. Built 1926-28. Served as model for numerous other . . . — Map (db m109764) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Calanthean Temple — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1923 by the Court of Calanthe, an early African-American woman's organization. Served as the Court of Calanthe's headquarters for many years as well as housing the offices of Black professionals. Roof Garden at top of building was used for . . . — Map (db m141014) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Cane & Bennett's Trading Post
Near this site stood the trading post of James H. Cane and William S. Bennett. The first business building in what later became Shreveport. Built before 1852 at this place, then known as Cane & Bennett's Bluff, it was for many years the center of . . . — Map (db m109745) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Centenary College of Louisiana
Founded 1825 at Jackson, La., by the State of Louisiana, the college was transferred to the Methodist Church in 1845. Relocated at Shreveport in 1908. Centenary is the oldest privately operated liberal arts college west of the Mississippi. — Map (db m142362) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Central School — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1917 as Central Colored High School. Later a Junior High School and today an Elementary School. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1991. — Map (db m142859) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Central Station — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1910 for Arkansas-St. Louis-Southwestern Railroad. Only surviving passenger railroad terminal in city built prior to WWI. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1991. — Map (db m109775) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Chamber Plaza — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1922, under the administration of Mayor John McWilliams Ford, to house Shreve Memorial Library. Designed by J. P. Annan in style of Roman Villa. Remained in use as central public library for over half a century. — Map (db m139538) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Chamber Plaza
Built 1922, under the administration of Mayor John McWilliams Ford to house Shreve Memorial Library. Designed by J. P. Annan in style of Roman Villa. Remained in use as Central Public Library for over half a century. — Map (db m139864) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Christian-Hamel House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built c.1883 at corner of Christian and Jewell Streets, opposite Oakland Cemetery. Moved from that site in 1976. Important example of Queen Anne cottage architecture. — Map (db m140480) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — CNB Building — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1940. Designed by architects McKim, Mead and White of New York City in association with Samuel G. Wiener of Shreveport. Interior lobby contains original murals depicting history of Shreveport. Vault originally made for Bank of Tokyo; WWII . . . — Map (db m109749) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Coates Bluff
Two blocks east is site of Coates Bluff settlement and homes of early area settlers Larkin Edwards, c.1803, James Coates, c.1817, and John McLeod, c.1835. The first local post office was located here in April, 1838. — Map (db m105311) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA
Gas was first discovered in Caddo Parish in 1870 in a water well drilled for an ice plant located between Market and Edwards Streets in Shreveport. First leasing activity for oil was begun in 1904 by Judge S.C. Fullilove, D.C. Richardson and I.G. . . . — Map (db m109738) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Confederate Navy Yard
One block west near mouth of Cross Bayou at Red River the ironclad Missouri and ram Webb built. Missouri armored with railroad iron, In 1863 Webb fought U.S.S. Indianola near Vicksburg. Missouri was surrendered . . . — Map (db m139539) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Cross Bayou — Historic Site — Shreveport —
One of Shreveport's most historic waterways, Cross Bayou is spanned by the old KCS Railroad Bridge, one of only two surviving examples of the Waddell A-Truss bridge design in America. On the south bank of Cross Bayou was the Confederate Navy Yard . . . — Map (db m139540) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Davidson House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1899. Long the home of local historian Max Bradbury. One of the finest remaining Victorian homes in the area. — Map (db m142698) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Dodd College
Private liberal arts junior college for girls, 1927-1942. Founded by Dr. M.E. Dodd, Pastor, First Baptist Church, Shreveport. Two original buildings now part of First Baptist Church. President's Home located at 601 Ockley Drive. — Map (db m140561) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Dodd House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Now called "Medjoy". Built 1929 as Dodd College President's Residence. Dodd College, named for its founder Dr. M.E. Dodd, operated 1926-1942. This house was Dr. Dodd's residence for many years, Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, . . . — Map (db m143799) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Eglin House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1900 by grandfather of Governor John McKeithen. Purchased from the McKeithen family by Dr. & Mrs. W.M. Adams. The Adams' daughter, Alverne, married Governor Jimmie Davis here. — Map (db m142363) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Elvis Presley
"Ladies and gentlemen, you've never heard of this young man before, but one day you'll be able to tell your children that you heard musical history made tonight." With these prophetic words Elvis Presley was introduced to the country from . . . — Map (db m141033) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Files House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1921 by prominent attorney John Bennett Files. Designed by noted Shreveport architect Edward Fairfax Neild, Mr. Files’ son-in-law. Outstanding example of pure Mediterranean Revival Style. — Map (db m138878) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — First City Market — Historic Site — Shreveport —
In 1836 Market Street was designated the site of the city market. From 1850 to 1872 the Market House was located in the middle of Market Street from Texas Street north to the alley. On October 4, 1890 Shreveport's electric streetcar service, the . . . — Map (db m109761) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — First Jewish Cemetery — Historic Site — Shreveport —
The Hebrew Benevolent Assn. of Shreveport purchased a quarter acre of Oakland Cemetery from the city in July, 1858. The resulting Jewish cemetery was Shreveport's first and Louisiana's fifth. This cemetery was used exclusively from 1858-1886 and . . . — Map (db m139944) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — First Presbyterian Church — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Founded 1845, present sanctuary built 1925, Designed by architectural firm of Jones, Roessle, Olschner and Wiener. Chapel adjoining buildings added later. Unusual curved pews are a noteworthy feature of the sanctuary. — Map (db m142857) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — First Shriners Hospital
On this site a dedicated group of men from the Shriners International Fraternity began the legacy of providing free healthcare services to children by opening the world's First Shriners Hospital on September 16th, 1922.

This plaque . . . — Map (db m139908) HM

Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church operated as a station church on the Greenwood-Shreveport Circuit from the 1830s and established its first building in 1845 on Market Street between Travis and Fannin. The congregation moved to this location at the "Head . . . — Map (db m109769) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Fort Humbug
Formerly Fort Turnbull, built by the Confederates to defend Shreveport, then capital of Louisiana. In 1864, charred logs simulating cannon were used to deter Union forces from attacking. — Map (db m105309) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Fort Turnbull
This marks the site of Fort Turnbull one of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m105333) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Gen. E. Kirby Smith Residence
912 Commerce Street, 80 feet south of this corner, site of the Benjamin L. Hodge home, where Gen. Smith lived 1863–65 while Commander of Trans-Miss. Dept. CSA. Built 1848, demolished 1960. Originally home of La. Supreme Court Judge Thomas T. . . . — Map (db m115450) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Green's Alley — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Possibly named for John Grange Green, pioneer Shreveport property owner and friend of Capt. Shreve, or for Dr. William Mercer Green, who was killed in a duel in this alley, just north of Texas Street, in 1849. South of Texas St. the alley is called . . . — Map (db m109743) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Harrison Building — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built by Martin Tally about 1865. Known as the Smith Building from 1870. Extensively remodelled 1897. Served as first Federal Courthouse of Shreveport 1881-1887. Later home to Eliott Electric Company and Harrison Tobacco Company. — Map (db m109772) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Hawthorne House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1910 by lumberman Charles Hawthorne. Girlhood home of his daughter Beatrice Hawthorne Moore (1898-1990), first woman ever elected to the State House of Representatives (1940) and second woman ever elected to the Legislature. Also first woman . . . — Map (db m143016) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Highland Hospital — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1917 on site occupied by a defensive cannon battery during Civil War. Highland Hospital occupied these buildings until 1991. Hospital part is oldest remaining hospital structure in Shreveport. — Map (db m138818) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Huey P. Long House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built in 1924 for Huey P. Long, Governor of Louisiana 1928-1932. Long's initials "H.P.L." are incorporated into the cast iron balcony above the front entrance. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1991. — Map (db m143720) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Hutchinson Building — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1910 to house Hutchinson Bros. Department Store. Has exceptional terra cotta detaining on front. Original plans called for a four story building, but was increased to six by contractor, who failed to meet deadline for completion. — Map (db m109767) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — James Burton — "Play It James" — "All Praise and Glory to God for the gift of music" - James Burton —
Guitar lovers worldwide know the name of "James Burton." Burton's distinctive style has rightfully earned the Shreveport native a place in music history and endeared him to countless musicians. His service for studio recording and live performances . . . — Map (db m141710) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Jefferson Hotel — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1922 as a railroad hotel-- Union Depot stood across the street for many years. Extensively restored and remodelled in 1980s. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1989. — Map (db m139874) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Josh Logan Home — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Childhood residence of Broadway Theatrical Producer Josh Logan, noted for "South Pacific," "Mister Roberts," etc. Logan was born in Texarkana, but spent his childhood and youth in Shreveport as well as Mansfield. — Map (db m138817) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Justin Gras
Opened in 1895, Justin Gras Grocery and Liquor here once stood as Shreveport's largest retail grocery business. Famous for saying "What is good for Shreveport is good for me," Gras gave to numerous causes, including a $2.3 million endowment to . . . — Map (db m109770) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — King's Highway Christian Church — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1925. Designed by prominent local architect Samuel Weiner, Jr. One of Shreveport's premier examples of Romanesque/Byzantine architectural styles. — Map (db m143743) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Land House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built circa 1870 for Thomas T. and Mary Dilliningham Land. Thomas Land was a state supreme court justice and the family was prominent late 19th to 20th century. Later owned by the Peyton Family who operated a chain of drugstores. The house remains . . . — Map (db m143021) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Lewis House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1898. One of the few remaining large Victorian houses in Highland. Named for owner Thomas C. Lewis, a Captain in the Confederate Army, and a pioneer druggist. — Map (db m141031) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Line Avenue School — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1904-05. Designed by noted local architect N.S. Allen. One of only 5 known Allen designed buildings remaining in Shreveport. Listed in The National Register of Historic Places, 1981. (1800 Line Avenue) — Map (db m142708) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Logan Mansion — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1897 by L.R. Logan, beer and ice manufacturer. Designed by architect Nathaniel Sykes Allen. One of the finest remaining Queen Anne Victorian houses in the city. — Map (db m140477) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Louisiana State Exhibit Bldg. — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1937. Designed by Neild and Somdal architectural firm, of Shreveport. Frescoes over main entrance are by Conrad Albizio. Painted in 1938, they are believed to be the first outdoor frescoes in United States. Listed in National Register of . . . — Map (db m143755) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Mad Money — Released 2008 — Film Location —
The Louisiana State Exhibit Museum opened in 1939 under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Public Works Program, "New Deal". It houses the largest topographical relief map in the state measuring 14 feet in circumference, and it also houses 22 . . . — Map (db m143794) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Marston House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1923-25. Designed by Maritz and Young, architects, of St. Louis, Missouri. Considered one of the city's most important examples of Tudor Revival style architecture. — Map (db m143719) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Masonic Temple — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1937. Designed by local architect Ted Flaxman. One of Shreveport's best examples of Modern Style. The building originally featured glass brick above the entrance. — Map (db m142670) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — McNeill St. Pump Station — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1887 as city's first waterworks. Contains original equipment in working order. Only example of its sort remaining in the United States of America, according to Smithsonian Institution. Declared a National Landmark in 1982. — Map (db m140206) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Moore House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1921 by lumber and railroad executive Randle T. Moore. Moore was also chairman of the board of Commercial National Bank of Shreveport in the 1920's and a trustee and major benefactor of Centenary College. House designed by Shreveport . . . — Map (db m143714) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Mr. Brooks — Film Location — Released 2007 —
Oakland Cemetery, the oldest cemetery in Shreveport, appeared in the film Mr. Brooks starring Kevin Costner and Dane Cook. In addition to citizens of the community, the cermetery holds approximately 800 people who died during the yellow fever . . . — Map (db m141016) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Noel Methodist Church — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Founded as a mission church in 1906, Noel memorial Methodist Church built present building in 1913. When completed, this was the city's largest church building. Fire destroyed all but the exterior walls in 1925. — Map (db m142327) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Oakland Cemetery — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Earliest tombstone dated 1842. Cemetery officially opened in 1847. At least 16 mayors are buried here as well as some 1,000 Confederate veterans & soldiers. Fence and walls erected 1905, the same year it began to be officially called "Oakland," . . . — Map (db m140562) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Oakland Cemetery — A Brief History
When Shreveport was first laid out in 1836, the need for a cemetery was among the first considerations of the Shreve Town Company. The first cemetery was known as the Fannin Street Cemetery. Its use began almost as soon as the town came into being. . . . — Map (db m142908) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Old Agudath Achim Synagogue — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1938 for Agudath Achim Orthodox Jewish Congregation which occupied it from 1939 to 1980. Art Deco in style, the building was designed by Seymor Van Os. — Map (db m142132) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Old CNB Building — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1910 to house Commercial National Bank. Designed by architect firm of Stern & Mann of Little Rock, Ark. Tallest building in city when completed in 1911. Listed on National Register of Historic Places , 1982. — Map (db m109751) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Old Municipal Building — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1924 to house Police department and City Court. Excellent example of early 20th century Neo-Classic/Federal architecture. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1982. — Map (db m139543) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Olgilvie-Wiener House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Designed by architect Luther T. McNabb. Built 1896 for grocer W.B. Olgilvie. Later residence of Samuel. G. Wiener, Sr. family. Noted architects Samuel G. Wiener, Jr. and William B. Wiener, Sr. were brought up in this house. — Map (db m140478) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Pickens Cemetery — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Dating from the 1840s, this was once the family burial grounds of the Pickens family, planters, of Caddo Parish. Among those buried here is Israel Wilson Pickens, Caddo Parish Sheriff from 1862-1865, during which time Shreveport was Confederate . . . — Map (db m140205) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Pine Wold — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Begun in 1903 by lumberman T.M. Jones. Remodeled to present appearance 1919 by oilman J.P. Evans. Architect Ed Neild, Sr. used its interior moldings as models for White House under President Truman. Property originally part of Mighty Haag Circus . . . — Map (db m138882) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Pioneer Heritage Center — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Centerpieces of this center are Caspiana House, built at Caspiana, La., in 1856, and the Thrasher Cabin, a rural Caddo Parish "dogtrot" log cabin, built c. 1835. Caspiana house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, the . . . — Map (db m140326) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Pleasant Hall — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1909. Was former residence of Governor Ruffin G. Pleasant and wife Annie Ector Pleasant. Mrs. Pleasant founded a private school which operated here for many years. — Map (db m142332) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Robinson Place — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1911 for Dr George W. Robinson, a physician, planter, and real estate developer. Fifth Street was renamed Robinson Place by him in 1910 and the stone columns at Fairfield and Robinson Pl. were erected then. Later and for many years the home of . . . — Map (db m138835) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Scottish Rite Cathedral — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Designed by local architect Edward Neild who was an active member of the Shreveport Scottish Rite. It was built 1917. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. — Map (db m139902) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Sewall House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1899 by John A. Sewall, Jr., grandson of Gen. Charles Albert Sewall, Army engineer who helped Shreve clear Red River log jam. Sewall's brother, John O. Sewall, was Shreveport's first mayor. — Map (db m141304) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Shreve Memorial Library — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1911 as Federal Court House and Post Office, expanded in 1931. Remained in use as federal Building until 1972. Has housed Shreve Memorial Library's central branch since 1970s. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1974, when interior . . . — Map (db m109763) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Shreve Square — Historic Site — Shreveport —
100 block of Texas. Preserved block of early Shreveport commercial buildings, most dating from between 1860 and 1900. Excellent examples of 1880s-1890s cast iron found on many. Texas Street Bridge, which bisects block, was dedicated October, 1933 by . . . — Map (db m109741) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Shreveport Little Theatre — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1925. Designed by local architect Clarence King. The Shreveport Little Theatre is the oldest continuously operating community theatre in the United States. — Map (db m141658) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Snyder House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Designed as his own residence by John Y. Snyder in 1902. Snyder was a prominent area architect and a geologist of national importance. This house, which once had a wide front porch, is the last remaining residence on Fairfield north of Olive. — Map (db m143008) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Soul Men — Released 2008 — Shreveport/Bossier Film Location —
In October of 1923, construction began on a 2,500 seat opera house and movie theater that would become known as The Strand. It was funded by the Saenger Brothers and the Ehrlich Brothers who went on to own 320 theaters throughout the south. Of all . . . — Map (db m139605) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — South Highlands Fire Station — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built in 1928. Designed in Bavarian Gothic style to blend with residential character of neighborhood. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1991. — Map (db m143800) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Sprague Street Row — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Group of six Victorian cottages built circa 1890. Possibly remodellings of circa 1870 houses known to have stood on same site. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1983. — Map (db m140460) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — St. George Greek Orthodox Church — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Designed by J.P. Annan. Built 1934. Named as a memorial to the St. George Church in New Ephesus, Greece, which was destroyed by the Turks 1917. Congregation founded 1917. — Map (db m142432) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — St. Joseph's Cemetery — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Opened 1882 as city's Catholic Cemetery. Several priests who died in 1873 yellow fever epidemic rest here, including Father Jean Pierre, founding pastor of Holy Trinity Church. Also many pioneer members of Shreveport's French and Italian Societies . . . — Map (db m143742) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — St. Paul's Methodist Church — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Founded 1865. Previous St. Paul's church building built 1889 and located on Caddo Street in the low lying area to it which gave it's name: St. Paul's Bottoms. Present Gothic Revival style building constructed 1926. — Map (db m142881) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Star Cemetery — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Opened in 1883. City's first Black Cemetery established by and for Black citizens. Many prominent early African-American Shreveporters are buried here, From 1868 to 1874 this site was the campus of Shreveport University, a Baptist College. Entrance . . . — Map (db m143748) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Strand Theatre — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1925 for Saenger-Ehrlich Theatre Enterprises.Designed by architects Emile Weil and Charles G. Davis of New Orleans. Interior designed by Paul Heerwagen of Arkansas. Was flagship theatre of Saenger Amusement Co., a forerunner of Paramount. . . . — Map (db m139906) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Texas Avenue Row — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Preserved commercial block dating from between 1899 and 1917. Many early ethnic businesses were housed here, including Black, Jewish, Chinese and Arab merchants. Collectively listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 as the Texas . . . — Map (db m139950) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — The Last Confederate Flag
The first courthouse on this site was the Confederate capitol of Louisiana and headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Dept. C.S.A. from 1863 until May 26, 1865, When the last Confederate flag was lowered. Maj. General Henry W. Allen was inaugurated . . . — Map (db m109765) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — The Pardon — Film Location
The building here at 400 Edwards Street, was originally constructed to house the Shreveport Memorial Library. It opened in 1925 and remained at this location until 1980. After two years of renovations, the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce took over . . . — Map (db m139862) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Thief (TV Series) — Film Location — Aired 2006 —
In 1904, the oldest religious body in Shreveport, St. Mark's Episcopal Church, began building this cathedral. Then in 1954, St. Mark's decided to move to a more suburban setting; there was a select group of members that remained behind and founded . . . — Map (db m139949) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Thigpen Mansion — Historic Site — Shreveport —
This grand Mediterranean-style mansion was built in the early 1900's as the home of James Alston Thigpen and his wife Mary Colvin Thigpen. Judge Thigpen was a respected lawyer and Caddo Parish judge, as well as a prominent landowner and oil . . . — Map (db m143020) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — This Marks the Site of Battery 1
This Marks the Site of Battery 1 One of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m105334) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — This Marks the Site of Battery 3
This Marks the Site of Battery 3 One of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m138788) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — This Marks the Site of Battery 4
This Marks the Site of Battery 4 One of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m138787) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — This Marks the Site of Battery 5
This Marks the Site of Battery 5 One of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m138780) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — This Marks the Site of Battery 7
This Marks the Site of Battery 7 One of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m138784) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Thornhill — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built circa 1856 by Aaron B. Levisee for wife Persia Willis. Named for her family home in Alabama. Surrounding estate was subdivided in 1874 giving name to neighborhood and street. Later home to Foster and Harvey families. Builder Levisee was a . . . — Map (db m138821) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Trimble House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Designed for banker William L. Trimble and wife Bessie by noted Shreveport architect Edward F. Neild. Completed 1929. Residence of the Trimble family until 1960. A pristine example of Georgian Revival Style. — Map (db m138879) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Turning to the Right
In 1870, three blocks northeast of this site, water well drillers discovered the first natural gas field in northwest Louisiana. An ice plant located near the site was the first to utilize this new resource. The area's first commercial . . . — Map (db m109762) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — W — Released 2008 — Film Location —
The land the Scottish Rite Temple was purchased for $17,000 on September 16, 1913. The building measures approximately 133 feet by 111 feet and surprisingly, only cost $186,477.28 to construct. It houses a three-story theater, library, and kitchen . . . — Map (db m139903) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Walker House — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1923 by prominent attorney Henry Clay Walker, Jr. Later residence of Coca Cola bottler Zehntner Biedenharn. Housed State Missionary Headquarters of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 1961-1975. Architects: Maritz & Young of St. Louis, . . . — Map (db m138863) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Woman's Department Club — Historic Site — Shreveport —
Built 1925. Designed by local architect Clarence King. Its interior contains a large, second floor auditorium. — Map (db m141305) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — World's First Shriners Hospital
Established on this site September 16, 1922, Shriners Hospitals for Children in Shreveport became the world's first Shriners Hospital. In 1986, the original building was replaced with a new facility. From its beginnings in Shreveport, Shriners . . . — Map (db m139582) HM

116 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020