Charles Jefferson Hunt served in the Mormon Battalion as Captain of Company “A” and as assistant executive officer. In it’s historic march from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego, California, 1846 - 47. His service won the commendation of . . . — Map (db m48986) HM
Erected Sept. 28, 1935
In honor of the Rexburg Stake Pioneers
The founders of Rexburg, March 11, 1883
Thomas E. Ricks• Henry Flamm • Francis C. Gunnell • Fred Smith• William F. Rigby • Daniel Walters •
Thomas E. Ricks, Jr. • Lorenzo . . . — Map (db m84344) HM
The Mormon Battalion
Council Bluffs, July 16, 1846
Fort Leavenworth, Aug. 2, 1846
Santa Fe, Oct. 9, 1846
San Diego, Jan 29, 1847
Erected June 16, 1940
[ Map of Mormon Battalion Route ]
The Mormon Battalion, composed . . . — Map (db m32984) HM
Established as the post of Beaver, May 15, 1872, by the 8th U.S. Infantry, Major John D. Wilkins, commanding. The military reservation, declared May 12, 1873, comprised two and two-thirds square miles. The name was changed July 1, 1874, to Fort . . . — Map (db m75575) HM
Hostile Indians raided a small settlement in this vicinity Oct. 27, 1866, centering their attack on the house where Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Lee, their two daughters, and eight year old son, a young Miss Hall and Joseph Lillywhite were barricaded, fighting . . . — Map (db m75616) HM
Paragonah was founded in 1852. Indian trouble caused abandonment a year later until 1855 when the pioneer fort was built. The site was selected and dedicated by President Brigham Young.
The fort was 105 feet square with walls 3 feet thick at the . . . — Map (db m59617) HM
Parowan was founded January 13, 1851 by settlers from northern communities under the leadership of George A. Smith. Among the early structures were a large liberty pole and a sundial.
This marker designates the site of the community sundial . . . — Map (db m59612) HM
The Rocky Mountain Fur Company, headed by Milton G. Sublette, David E. Jackson and Jedediah S. Smith, conducted a fur trading rendezvous in this vicinity in June-July, 1827, taking 130 bales of beaver furs for shipment to St. Louis by pack train. . . . — Map (db m66970) HM
Bingham Canyon was named for Erastus Bingham and sons, Sanford and Thomas, Utah Pioneers of 1847, who in 1848 took up grazing land in this vicinity, first for private herds and later as a community enterprise. They built a small cabin at the mouth . . . — Map (db m35228) HM
This monument marks the site of Fort Herriman built in 1855 by Thomas Butterfield, Henry Herriman, Samuel Egbert, Robert Petty, and John Stocking, as protection against the Indians.
The Fort was abandoned in 1858, under instructions from . . . — Map (db m35032) HM
Built by Brigham Young for his own children stood on this corner lot 1860-1903 This early school was directed by Eli B. Kelsey, who in soliciting additional students announced in the Deseret News, December 12, 1860, as follows:
. . . — Map (db m35005) HM
Erected about 1852. Used as the executive offices of the Territory of Utah until 1855. Headquarters of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from the time it was finished until 1917 when the new church office building was complete.
For a . . . — Map (db m35163) HM
Latitude 40°46'04" - Longitude 111°54'00" Altitude (sidewalk) 4327.27 Ft.Fixed by Orson Pratt assisted by Henry G. Sherwood, August 3, 1847, when beginning the original survey of “Great Salt Lake City,” around the . . . — Map (db m35007) HM
Old Folks Day was inaugurated in Salt Lake City in 1875, by Charles R. Savage, assisted by Edward Hunter, presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and George Goddard, since which time all persons seventy or more years of . . . — Map (db m34998) HM
This monument marks the site of the Social Hall, the first recreation center in the intermountain west. Built by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the direction of Brigham Young. Made of plastered adobe walls with native wood . . . — Map (db m35756) HM
Erected about 1852 by President Brigham Young as the official residence of the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and occupied by him from the time it was completed until his death in 1877.
From 1852 to 1855 it also . . . — Map (db m34995) HM
Built by President Brigham Young and used by him as a residence from about 1855 until his death in 1877. On the lower floor were the dining room and kitchens. On the next floor were the living rooms and large parlor; and on the top floor were the . . . — Map (db m35354) HM
Established May 9, 1854, by John D. Lee, Richard Woolsey, William R. Davis and others who had founded Harmony in 1852. County seat of Washington County until 1859. Headquarters of Mormon Mission to Lamanites 1853-1854.
The fort was finally . . . — Map (db m59470) HM
In honor of
The Mormon Colonists
of the Big Horn Basin
who, under the leadership of
Abraham O. Woodruff, first camped near this site in May 1900. These pioneers, under many difficulties, established towns, notably Byron, Cowley and . . . — Map (db m91255) HM
Captain James G. Willie’s Handcart Company of Mormon emigrants on the way to Utah, greatly exhausted by the deep snow of an early winter and suffering form lack of food and clothing, had assembled here for reorganization by relief parties from Utah, . . . — Map (db m80154) HM
First commercial ferry on the Platte River was established 1/2 mile south of here in June 1847 by “Mormon” pioneers on their way to the valley of the Great Salt Lake. Brigham Young directed nine men to remain to operate the ferry. They . . . — Map (db m91916) HM
On August 3, 1855 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints concluded arrangements for the purchase of Fort Bridge from Louis Vasquez, partner of James Bridger, for $3,000. Final payment was made October 18, 1858. A cobblestone wall was . . . — Map (db m90617) HM