In 1877 prospector Ed Schieffelin searched for silver in Apache land. He was told he would only find his own tombstone. Schieffelin ignored the advice. The result was a strike worth at least forty million dollars.
This brought not only miners . . . — — Map (db m48507) HM
In the summer of 1857 former Navy Lt. Edward F. Beale was chosen by the Buchanan Administration to develop a wagon road from Fort Defiance, New Mexico Territory (now Arizona) to the Colorado River along the 35th parallel. Secretary of War John B. . . . — — Map (db m48347) HM
The area around what now is Williams, Arizona, was first explored by a Mountain Man who came to this area in 1876, William Shirley Williams, who was called “Old Bill”.
The town site was created by a cowboy named C.T. Rogers in 1879. . . . — — Map (db m48351) HM
In 1916, Jakes Corner originally called Felton, started as a stage stop, on the Annie Hardt homestead.
As a pull out on the road to Globe, stages used to stop and wait as the occasional flooding Salt River receded. Annie Hardt had a vegetable . . . — — Map (db m48354) HM
One of the West’s Longest and Bloodiest feuds took
place here and around Pleasant Valley. The Grahams and
the Tewksburys had been in the cattle business and it
seems probable that they first fell out over the division of cattle they jointly owned . . . — — Map (db m78742) HM
Dedicated to the men who gave time in their lives to serve honorably and courageously for our country. We take this moment in time to recognize their achievements which were done with pride and dignity.
* * *
Ardennes - Alsace - . . . — — Map (db m29160) HM
Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe
The 739th Tank Battalion was activated in March 1943 at Fort Lewis, Washington. The officers were from various states, the enlisted personnel from Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana.
The . . . — — Map (db m78558) HM
The 740th tank battalion was activated at Fort Knox, Ky. on March 1, 1943. It trained at Fort Knox and at Camp Bouse, Az. as a canal defense light (CDL) unit and as a standard medium tank battalion from October 15, 1943 to April 24, 1944 then sailed . . . — — Map (db m78562) HM
The 748th Tank Battalion, Medium was activated on 20 August 1942 at Camp Rucker, Alabama. The Rhinos headed for Fort Knox on the 15th of April 1943 for training and on 20 April 1943 were reorganized as a special battalion equipped with CDL . . . — — Map (db m92814) HM
This building was built prior to 1912. The mercantile was known to do business with the A & C and Swansea railroads in 1916. It has been open continuously since that time. Bouse postmaster Cora L. Johnston moved the US Post Office to the store in . . . — — Map (db m39504) HM
Activated 1 April, 1943 at Camp Perry, OH. Completed basic training and then sent to Ft. Knox, KY. Unit then assigned to Camp Bouse, AZ arriving there 9 November, 1943. Maintaining operation of special tanks named "Leaflets" was specific assignment. . . . — — Map (db m78557) HM
Central Europe Northern France Rhineland
The 701st tank battalion was activated 3/28/43 at Camp Campbell, KY. Here 553 young men and officers began their journey into history. These men began their basic training and for many saw . . . — — Map (db m78564) HM
Camp Bouse was established in Butler Valley 30 miles behind this monument in Sept. of 1943. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to harden and train United States troops for service on the battlefields of World War II. . . . — — Map (db m78566) HM
He was our drinking buddy
While on duty
He drank our beer
Full of good cheer
And went to the nurses' quarters around the bend
And came to an untimely end,
Of the Colonel, he was unaware
That it would be the crime of all time . . . — — Map (db m78536) HM
We bring to a close
We tried to find
We must now impose
Units not found
748th Tank Battalion
150th Station Hospital
538th Ordnance Company
629th Quartermaster — — Map (db m29161) HM
In honored memory of those soldiers of the battalion who trained here at Camp Bouse and gave their lives in combat to preserve the freedom of the United States and to set the Peoples of Europe free.
Donald D. . . . — — Map (db m78537) HM
Gold and silver strikes in the 1860's created growth in the area. It is said Wyatt Earp served as sheriff of Cibola for one year in the 1890's. The town of Cibola formed in 1898 and construction began on a 16 mile canal to bring water from the river . . . — — Map (db m78552) HM
Ferries of various size and design once provided transportation across the lower Colorado River linking Arizona with California, Nevada and Utah.
Ferrymen plied their trade from Yuma to Pearce Ferry. The first ferry on the river was started at . . . — — Map (db m78553) HM
This monument built to
perpetuate the memory of
the pioneers, trailblazers,
and adventurers that rest
in these unmarked graves.
(Arizona Highway Department, 1934)
Rededicated: April 27, 2003 (CY 6008)
By the Ancient and . . . — — Map (db m31188) HM
Jacob Waltz was born in the kingdom of Wurttemberg Germany circa 1810. He immigrated to the USA in 1839 and became a naturalized citizen in 1864. Waltz was prospecting in Arizona and is reputed to have found a gold deposit near the superstition . . . — — Map (db m74397) HM
In 1924 construction of a new schoolhouse began. Classes were being held in an old cook shack that had once been used by muleskinners to clear the land. The school, named after Charles Rittenhouse, would be a three-room, u-shaped building made of . . . — — Map (db m32393) HM
In 1863 Austrian Henry Wickenburg discovered gold, legend has it, while retrieving a vulture he had shot. The vulture mine went on to become one of Arizona's richest gold mines and sparked the development of Arizona and the city of Phoenix. In the . . . — — Map (db m40319) HM
Originally built in 1899 as the Arizona and Utah Railway, this short-line reached almost twenty five miles from the siding at McConnico on the Sante Fe to the White Hills. In 1904, a storm washed out much of the route. In 1905, the Sante Fe acquired . . . — — Map (db m48288) HM
Founded in 1862 with the discovery of silver, Chloride became the first mining town of the Cerbat Mountains. During it's heyday, 1900 to 1920, the population swelled to over 2000 with 75 mines in operation. Chloride was the first incorporated town . . . — — Map (db m31845) HM
This camp, established March 25, 1871 by Company F, 12th Infantry commanded by Capt. Thomas Bryne, was located at a spring used by Indians for centuries. It was named for Navy Lt. Edward F Beale who established a wagon road along the 35th parallel. . . . — — Map (db m29411) HM
Trovatore is Italian for troubadour or traveler. Developer John E. Miller built the Nevada Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada which was later named Sal Sagev (Las Vegas spelled backwards). He moved to Kingman, Arizona in 1935 after Hoover Dam was completed, . . . — — Map (db m68934) HM
Constructed in 1909, Hotel Brunswick was built by prominent businessmen, John Mulligan and J. W. Thompson. Kingman's first three story building, constructed of local quarried tufa stone, featured 50 cowboy rooms with shared bath facilities, a dining . . . — — Map (db m29425) HM
The Old Spanish Trail, the main trade route between Santa Fe and Los Angeles, passed this way beginning in 1829. At the end of the Mexican-American War this portion of the route evolved into what was variously known as the Salt Lake Road, the Mormon . . . — — Map (db m78535) HM
You are standing on the site of what used to be the ARIZONA HOTEL. In 1915, it was one of seven hotels that existed in Oatman during the early years. The hotel had 45 rooms and numerous baths. It had concrete fire walls and two separate water mains . . . — — Map (db m114809) HM
In 1900 Jose Jerez discovered gold here in a
chunk of quartz. It was assayed out 40 ounces to
the ton! The claim was resold for $275,000. By
1907 the mine milled 140,625 ounces of gold
worth $2,250,000. Addwest Minerals acquired
the mine . . . — — Map (db m50762) HM
Oatman was founded around 1906 as part of Arizona's richest gold mining area. Oatman was reborn in the late 1960's and early 1970's as a tourist town. The main attraction was the wild burro herd. The burros roaming the Oatman area are descendants of . . . — — Map (db m78570) HM
The mine manager’s house was built in 1919
by John O. Greenway, General Manager of Calument & Arizona Mining Co. Michael Curley, the first occupant lived here until his retirement in 1939. Of the 14 subsequent managers, 12 lived in this house. It . . . — — Map (db m83227) HM
Originally called the Superstition Mining District, this district had its heyday from 1893 to 1898.
The greatest producing mines were the Mammoth, Black Queen and Bull Dog. Their output was around a million dollars in gold and silver based on . . . — — Map (db m34059) HM
Dedicated October 1961
To the Memory of
Jacob Von Walzer
1808 – 1891
One of America's most famed legendary figures, whose exploits have stimulated the imagination of peoples everywhere by his contribution to the heritage of his . . . — — Map (db m74394) HM
March 12 1825 - Jan 11 1891
Judge- District court of New Mexico
Delegate to Confederate Congress
Arizona Mounted Volunteers CSA
Pioneer- Soldier- Statesman — — Map (db m32394) HM
Established June 14, 1887. A small conical
red peak gave Red Rock its name. Red Rock
was a major cattle shipping point via the
S.P. Railroad. This post office celebrated its
Centennial in June 1987. — — Map (db m31190) HM
Born in Rutledge, Tennessee, he became a self-taught construction engineer and builder of railroads. In 1909, he settled in the mining town of Superior, site of the Magma Copper Company. He opened his first drug store in Superior in 1913, later . . . — — Map (db m34104) HM
This historical trail began in 1997 when Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited ( BHP ) donated local mining artifacts from the 120 year old magma mine to the Superior Historical Society, Inc. due to their age and size, it was determined that these . . . — — Map (db m67494) HM
Cypress Copper ― Bagdad Corporation
In memory of
WJ. Pace and J.M. Murphy
Who filed the Bagdad claim January 1, 1882;
John Lawler who patented the claim in
1889; and the Lincoln family who developed
the mine. — — Map (db m31552) HM
The U.V.C.C. Clarkdale smelter was built through the vision of William A. Clark, owner of the United Verde Mine in Jerome. The Smelter was constructed between 1912-1915 to replace the outdated Jerome smelter.
On May 26, 1915 the first furnace . . . — — Map (db m33199) HM
In 1863 Pauline Weaver and Abraham Peeples came from California to find gold. They found gold and the rush was on. In 1887 The Congress mine was formed and the town had a name. On March 14, 1895 the railroad came. Congress was booming. In 1910, . . . — — Map (db m59977) HM
The first mining claims were filed in 1876, within 20 years Jerome was a billion dollar copper mecca and one of the wildest, wickedest mining towns in the west. Drinking, gambling, brawls and frolicking with ladies of the night occurred . . . — — Map (db m33149) HM
In the late 1800's, Thomas Earnhart erected the Kirkland Store on the site of today's Kirkland Bar and Steakhouse.
In the early 1900's, Louis Haselfeld assumed ownership and opened the Haselfeld Store. The original wood frame building burned in . . . — — Map (db m33046) HM
To those responsible for the Arizona pioneer's home
A. J. Doran
Introduced enabling legislation - 1907
Supervised construction - 1910
First Superintendent – 1911
George D. Morris
Successful enabling . . . — — Map (db m32903) HM
This is the site of ‘the crossing' on the Mojave-Prescott "Hardyville" toll road. The road was authorized by the first territorial legislature and was built by W. H. Hardy, connecting Prescott with Hardyville on the Colorado River.
William John . . . — — Map (db m72625) HM
Founded in Jan. 1921 and named after the famous Rough Rider William "Bucky" O'Neill, the post is the oldest active VFW post in Arizona. Born Feb. 2, 1860 in St. Louis, Missouri, his many accomplishments include being a Lawyer, Judge, Sheriff, Editor . . . — — Map (db m68732) HM
From 1857 to 1860 Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men built the first federal highway in the southwest. The 1857 Beale Expedition used 22 camels and dromedaries for pack animals. This road went from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Los Angeles, . . . — — Map (db m32206) HM
Datelan Army Air Field was established here January 1, 1943. The site was chosen due to the availability of water and the adjacent location of the Yuma Gunnery Range. Construction was completed June 1, 1943. Datelan AAF was a sub-base of Yuma Army . . . — — Map (db m78545) HM
Camps Hyder & Horn were established 10 miles north of Dateland in the fall of 1943. They were 2 of 15 desert camps built to harden and train United States Troops for service in World War II. The Desert Training Center was a simulated theater of . . . — — Map (db m78546) HM
Camp Laguna operated from April 1942 to April 1944. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to train United States troops during World War II.
The Desert Training Center, a simulated theater of operations, included . . . — — Map (db m29061) HM
In 1863 Jacob Snively, founder of Gila City, and right hand to Sam Houston, avenger of the Alamo, following blazes left on the saguaros by Mexican and Conquistador predecessors, came to Castle Dome, and within 15 years, Castle Dome City’s population . . . — — Map (db m48924) HM
This is the point of discovery for the Flora Temple Mine. In the early 1870’s, a Colorado River steamboat captain named Isaac Polthamus purchased the Flora Temple Mine. This mine was the 2nd patented claim in Arizona (1871). Polthamus and his . . . — — Map (db m91925) HM
Once a hiding and trading place in the 1850's for the notorious bandit Joaquin Murrieta, known in California as "El Famoso," this canyon has produced many rodeos dating back to the rancho days circa 1820.
Harry Rowell, originally from England, . . . — — Map (db m94033) HM
Site of the home of Peter and Wilhelmina Rasmussen from 1914 until 1937. Peter came to America from Denmark in 1871. He was part of a wave of Danish immigrants who settled in Alameda County. The house was a Craftsman Bungalow built on twenty acres . . . — — Map (db m112846) HM
During World War II 3,396 acres were purchased for the largest naval installation in the U.S. Three navy bases sat adjacent to each other in an area known as Fleet City. Camp Parks located along Dougherty Road, The U.S. Naval Hospital among . . . — — Map (db m94022) HM
For 86 years a favorite congregating spot. Built by John Green in 1860, with a balcony over the porch and a gabled roof. A famous cross-roads stop and transfer point on the Oakland-Stockton and Martinez-San Jose stagecoach routes intil the 1890's . . . — — Map (db m59944) HM
Jose Maria Amador, born 1794 at San Francisco Presidio, spent his early years in the Mexican Army, as soldier, explorer, Indian fighter, and was later administrator at Mission San Jose.
Amador was paid for his service with land, a grant . . . — — Map (db m69727) HM
Commander John "Jack" Clement Mape USN, was Dublin's first casualty of the Vietnam War. A 40-year old father of seven, Mape lived in Dublin and was stationed in Alameda, CA. He was assigned to Squadron VA-52 of the USS Ticonderoga in September, . . . — — Map (db m69725) HM WM
Built at the crossroads in 1862 by James Witt Dougherty where it served travelers going by stagecoach from Oakland to Stockton and from San Jose to Martinez and Sacramento. This area was named Dougherty Station from 1862 until 1878, and the hotel . . . — — Map (db m69726) HM
With the discovery of gold in California, the town around the Mission San Jose became the gateway and provision center for the “49er” on his way to the Southern Mines.
To meet these demands, the firm of Strauss and Co. was founded by . . . — — Map (db m64904) HM
Washington Hotel originally located across the street as a two story adobe building. Destroyed by the 1868 earthquake. Rebuilt on the present site in the same year.
The building has served as a hotel, stage stop, state library, and present day . . . — — Map (db m54668) HM
A Portuguese-American fraternal benefit society receiving members of all nationalities established in the State of California in 1889 to assist widows and orphans. This local chapter, Council #14, was organized on April 23, 1898, by its founder and . . . — — Map (db m94557) HM
Built in 1886 for Neal and Sarah McConaghy, this 12 room Victorian farmhouse represents the beauty and elegance of a bygone era. Members of the family resided here until 1972. In response to community interest, Hayward Area Recreation District . . . — — Map (db m94565) HM
Built in 1869 by William Meek, a pioneer of commercial agriculture, the mansion is characteristic of the affluent agricultural society of the Victorian era in California.
The estate is on the site of the former Rancho San Lorenzo. This area . . . — — Map (db m94558) HM
The legend of Joaquin Murrieta is one of the most enduring and fascinating of chapters in California history. Facts, fiction and romantic tales entangle to create a legend of unique aura that had become part of California's folklore, especially in . . . — — Map (db m17944) HM
This railroad station having been located about half a mile west of the old town of Laddsville, on land owned by Wm. M. Mendenhall. Established the location of the town Livermore. The first depot was a freight car that was soon replaced by a . . . — — Map (db m19993) HM
Built 1875, this building was first a hotel then the Livermore Valley Bank. It was the Livermore Town Hall from 1905 to 1957. The jail was in the rear, and to the left the firehouse. It was here a light bulb was lit and . . . — — Map (db m19982) HM
Eight miles southwest of this location, in the Spring of 1904, Charles Tolliver built an airship.
With an aluminum superstructure covered with 6,000 yards of rongee silk, the craft was to be 250 feet long, 40 feet wide and 44 feet high. Four . . . — — Map (db m19968) HM
Here the first Wente Vineyards of 47 acres was established by C.H. Wente in 1883. In 1935 his sons, Ernest and Herman, introduced California’s first varietal wine label, Sauvignon Blanc. The efforts of the Wente family have helped to establish the . . . — — Map (db m100563) HM
Western history owes the Carter Brothers a great debt, for they were the general contractors for the first six narrow gauge railroads in California. From 1874 to 1902 they built freight, passenger, cable and street cars. Their plant became Newark's . . . — — Map (db m94310) HM
“May God continue the unity of our country as this railroad unites the two great oceans of the world.” The gold spike ceremony at Promontory, Utah in May of 1869 united the tracks of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads. . . . — — Map (db m24473) HM
Within this crescent shaped valley is the beautiful 37-room Dunsmuir House, an example of colonial revival Victorian architecture. Built in 1899 on a 415 acre estate by Alexander Dunsmuir, heir to a Canadian coal and lumber fortune, for his bride . . . — — Map (db m72061) HM
Oakland’s famed native son was the noted author of “The Call of the Wild”, “The Sea Wolf” and “South Sea Tales”. He was at various times a sailor, Alaskan gold miner, salmon fisher and longshoreman.
For a . . . — — Map (db m71295) HM
Opened in 1903, the timber-lined Kennedy Tunnel was the fast route between Oakland and Lafayette, saving four hours of driving around the San Pablo Reservoir. In 1914, it was wired for lights and renamed the Broadway Tunnel. In 1937, after the . . . — — Map (db m71764) HM
On this spot on June 1, 1904, the first Key Route electric train arrived to be welcomed by a crowd of excited residents. From a new ferry pier on the bay off Emeryville it had brought officials and guests to a dedication ceremony here. Key founder . . . — — Map (db m72279) HM
This bay front site originally bordered Ohlone Indian settlements. In 1820 the Spanish crown granted it to Luis Maria Peralta. In 1842 it was given to his son Antonio Maria Peralta. The area was acquired by Horace Carpenter (first mayor of Oakland), . . . — — Map (db m71212) HM
Here stands one the first commercial buildings in Pleasanton, possibly as old as 1864. Originally a general store, this building has been a bar, brothel, bank and unofficial Wells Fargo stagecoach stop. Since 1959 it has become well-known as the . . . — — Map (db m112913) HM
On Feb. 8, 1871 two men, the names of Neal F. Taylor and Timothy Cox, were looking for coal in the area and found more than they were looking for. On this creek which comes down through the then Dougherty Ranch the two men found a gold nugget. They . . . — — Map (db m69728) HM
John W. Kottinger (1819 – 1892) was Murray Township Justice of the Peace from 1853 to 1870. His home was the Seat of Justice for the township; The northwest corner of this adobe barn was used to jail prisoners. A frequent visitor was Joaquin . . . — — Map (db m24507) HM
The Heritage House has been the center of historical horse racing activities in the Livermore – Amador Valley for over 90 years. Built around 1900, it is the sole remaining structure from the days of the privately-owned racing business that . . . — — Map (db m112794) HM
In 1869, the first Transcontinental Railroad passed this spot on its way to the shore of the San Francisco Bay. In 1984 the Southern Pacific Railroad abandoned this historic line between Niles and Tracy, California.
Volunteers of the Pacific . . . — — Map (db m63766) HM
Named in honor of Antonio Maria Sunol, merchant, naval man and cattlebarron, who acquired a Spanish / Mexican land grant in 1840.
Along with the vast ranching and fertile farmlands, coal and gold were found in the Sunol area in the 1870’s. . . . — — Map (db m24495) HM
This Sierra Crossing used by Jedediah Smith 1821 - Major John Ebbetts 1850 - Snowshoe Thompson 1856-76 - Gold Seekers 1850's. Old road left Carson Pass Road in Hope Valley, crossed Border Ruffian Pass to Hermit Valley, Pacific Summit and through . . . — — Map (db m10730) HM
This building has been the pioneer home of the Kirkwood and Taylor families since it was built by Zachary Kirkwood in 1864. This building was one of the first resorts operated in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. — — Map (db m100580) HM
“…there ought to be a shaft raised to Snow-Shoe Thompson: Not of marble; Not carved and not planted in the valley, but a rough shaft of basalt or of granite, massive and tall, with top ending roughly as if broken short, to represent a life . . . — — Map (db m12028) HM
Originally built in 1862 as the Fiske House in Silver Mountain City. It was dismantled, board by board, in 1886 by A.M. Grover and a crew of men. Each board was marked and many of the old square nails were saved. It was re-erected on this site and . . . — — Map (db m20631) HM
On December 18, 1872, Ernst Reusch, a jealous husband shot and killed E.H. Erickson through the window of Erickson’s Saloon in Silver Mountain City as Erickson played cards. Reusch believed that Erickson had been having an affair with his wife and . . . — — Map (db m116094) HM
On September 12, 1861, Jacob Markley staked out a land claim of 160 acres, a parcel that included this site. Markley erected a 16 by 20 foot log cabin somewhere near this plaque, covering it with shakes made from local Sugar Pine. He also built a . . . — — Map (db m116149) HM
On August 2, 1885, fire broke out in the Town of Markleeville destroying several buildings, including Harvey and Rask’s Bucher Shop and Smokehouse. Later on in the Fall, the building was rebuilt and reopened as Rask’s Butcher Shop.
The building . . . — — Map (db m11963) HM
In 1875, the Alpine County seat was moved from Silver Mountain (Kongsberg) to Markleeville. A new jail being needed, a foundation was laid using logs. The iron cells from the old jail were placed thereon and using the mortise and tenon method the . . . — — Map (db m3007) HM
Built by the citizens of Markleeville in 1882 it remained in operation until 1929 when the new Webster School was completed. In 1966, with the old school on the verge of total destruction, the Historical Society of Alpine County began to raise funds . . . — — Map (db m3006) HM
Settled by Scandinavian miners in 1858, - then called Kongsberg. Renamed Silver Mountain in 1863 and made county seat of Alpine County Aug. 11th, 1864. During the Sixties, the town supported a post-office, two newspapers, express office, telegraph . . . — — Map (db m58786) HM
This marks the home of John Albert Thompson (Snowshoe Thompson) great pioneer of the Sierras and hero of the mountains, who for twenty winters carried the mail over the deep snow of the mountains on his long skies: Giving help to those in need along . . . — — Map (db m21302) HM
The Raymond Mining District was in operation from 1863 – 1869. It was located roughly four miles north of Silver Mountain and four miles south-west of Markleeville, along Krumm Creek entering Pleasant Valley. Named for R. W. Raymond, who . . . — — Map (db m116092) HM
This plaque is dedicated on September 10, 1960 by the ancient and honorable society of E Clampus Vitus to honor the memory of the early miners, both placer and quartz, of Amador County on the Mother Lode in California.
It marks the place where in . . . — — Map (db m10851) HM
In the mineral rich Ione Valley, between Ione and the southern Mokelumne River, where once mining communities like, Lancha Plana, Camp Opra and Camanche dotted the maps, is the town of Buena Vista. Situated at the intersections of two thoroughfares . . . — — Map (db m101437) HM
Old No. 7 was the last steam locomotive to operate over the Amador Central Railroad between Ione and Martell. The twelve mile long railroad lies entirely within Amador County and is one of the shortest railroads in this country. Iron Ivan is a fine . . . — — Map (db m2371) HM
Judge Smith proclaimed Jackson the Seat of Justice after Clerk Collier canvassed the votes of the May 1851 election in which 1224 votes were cast for Moquelumne Hill and 1014 for Jackson. An armed party from Moquelumne Hill pursued Judge Smith to . . . — — Map (db m27499) HM
Gold changed an entire way of life in California during the Gold Rush. In 1860 Andrew Kennedy and three partners filed 4 mining claims of about 600 feet long. Two shafts were started near what is now Highway 49. The shafts were started, which . . . — — Map (db m101351) HM
Started about 100 years ago as Ryan’s Station. In 1888 became known as Martell’s Station. This was the main terminal for stagecoaches from Amador County gold mines. Large shipments of gold bullion were made from Martell’s Station to San Francisco, . . . — — Map (db m70230) HM
Known as the National Hotel from 1913 to 1962, this hostelry is built over double springs at which earlier gold seekers stopped to refresh themselves. It has been in constant operation since 1862 and has served as a focal point for “community . . . — — Map (db m27670) HM
This monument marks the site of a spring that refreshed the early travelers into this region. So many bottles were found around this spring that some Chilean miners called the site "Bottileas" or place of the bottles, the first name by which the . . . — — Map (db m21371) HM
Has served Jackson Gate since
The California Gold Rush
Has been placed on the
of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the . . . — — Map (db m33376) HM
This newspaper was started in Volcano October 27, 1855. It was moved to Jackson in April, 1857. The Amador Ledger is the fourth oldest weekly newspaper in California and the oldest in Amador County. This building became the new home of the Amador . . . — — Map (db m44139) HM
Prospectors in 1849 traveled from the Mokelumne River through Clinton on the way to the diggins in Volcano. In the early 1850’s the camp of Clinton became a market town, supplying the placer miners of the middle and southern forks of Jackson Creek, . . . — — Map (db m100578) HM
D’Agostini Winery was started in 1856 by Adam Uhlinger, a Swiss immigrant. The original wine cellar, with walls made from rock quarried from nearby hills, hand hewn beams, and oak casks, is still in use and part of the present winery. Some original . . . — — Map (db m100585) HM
This hotel is a member of the State of California 100 Year Club and was opened for business in 1860. Bellotti Inn is one of oldest hotels still in continuous operation serving travelers in the State of California. The earliest hotel opened on this . . . — — Map (db m29819) HM
Established in 1869 by Carlo Soracco, the store and adjoining residence were copied from similar buildings in Genoa, Italy. Carlo’s son, Frank, one of Amador County’s leading citizens, became proprietor in 1894. C. Soracco Co. was a major supplier . . . — — Map (db m57992) HM
A man of tremendous ambition, Leland Stanford, Sr., was one of California’s most distinguished businessmen, politicians, philanthropists, and proponents of education. Lured to California by the Gold Rush in 1852, he became an owner of Sutter Creek’s . . . — — Map (db m12610) HM
The jail was built in 1908 to replace the original jail that was destroyed by a fire started when an unidentified inmate set his mattress on fire and burned to death. Sutter Creek and Amador County shared the cost of the new cement jail built by the . . . — — Map (db m57980) HM
At this spot on Plug St. about 100 feet from the intersection of Consolation Ave. is where John Doble chronicled his journey from Indiana, though Central America, up the coast to San Francisco and finally to the gold diggins of Volcano.
His . . . — — Map (db m85859) HM
This plaque is in memory of the pioneers of California who assembled in Volcano where Moose Milk was originated.
Dedicated this 13th day of January, 1951 by E Clampus Vitus.
[A rededication marker, just below the main one, . . . — — Map (db m9055) HM
This plaque is in commemoration of two soldiers of a party from Stevenson’s New York Regiment who discovered Volcano Valley in late 1848 and camped here in Soldier Gulch through a hard winter. Their bodies were discovered in the spring and buried . . . — — Map (db m11364) HM
Built in 1856, the Bavarian Brewery is one of two historic breweries in Volcano, named for brewer Peter Seible. A notable example of early masonry, the precisely cut stones in the front facade are still plumb today. The deep cellar, used for the . . . — — Map (db m32785) HM
The Thomas Starr King Bell was donated to the town of Volcano by Unitarian preacher Thomas Starr King in 1862, who was greatful to the town for its support for the Union and the election of Abraham Lincoln. The bell was originally located at the . . . — — Map (db m101341) HM
Started 1848 by soldiers of Colonel Stevenson’s Regiment. Named by miners because of apparent volcanic appearance. Here the first California rental library, 1850, was established. And one of the first “Little . . . — — Map (db m100574) HM
Born in Bucks County Pennsylvania, Neal a blacksmith by trade came to California with John Fremont’s second expedition in 1844. After working for John Sutter briefly at New Helvetia, obtained a land grant and established Rancho Esquon. After . . . — — Map (db m61826) HM
On this site the remains of Katie Thompson, Mattie Thompson, and Josie Campbell were laid to rest. The children, were the grandchildren of Joseph Campbell, and all died of Scarlett Fever in 1877. Joseph Campbell was a prominent pioneer in this area . . . — — Map (db m61767) HM
In 1902, Diamond Match Co., established the Butte Co. Railroad. The So PAC tracks ran between Chico, Durham, and Stirling City. Regular train service between Chico and Magalia began Nov. 2, 1903. Magalia depot was completed soon thereafter. April 8, . . . — — Map (db m61223) HM
Named for George Lovelock, born in Wales in 1824, emigrated to California in 1850. George Lovelock settled in Butte County in 1851 and began a successful business in Butte Creek Canyon before moving not far from this present site to establish a . . . — — Map (db m61685) HM
[ Upper Marker ]
Has been placed on the
of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the Interior
[ Lower Marker ]
The Magalia . . . — — Map (db m29609) HM
Site of Gold Rush settlements Long’s Bar, Adamstown, White Rock, and nearby Banner Mine. Sam Neal discovered gold here in 1848. First Christian and Masonic observances in Butte County held here 1849. First county ferry franchise, 1850. — — Map (db m113876) HM
Constructed in 1903, this depot is one of three maintained along the Butte County Railroad, a 31 mile line from Chico to Stirling City, completed by Diamond Match Co. in 1904. The railroad was later acquired by Southern Pacific and operated as a . . . — — Map (db m29671) HM
Editor's Note: All the "E's" on this marker are backwards
The historic inn, first built in 1857 by Pat Kelley sold to John Stokes in 1866.
Destroyed by fire in 1868. Rebuilt in 1868, is the only remaining one of five hotels which . . . — — Map (db m61765) HM
This peaceful community, gateway to the remote regions of the High Lakes of Butte and Plumas Counties, owes its origin and subsequent development to the entrance of the Diamond Match Company to California. With the purchase of about 40,000 acres of . . . — — Map (db m61764) HM
September 25, 1882 – August 1, 1968
Founder of Mother Lode Association in 1919, which created colorful Highway 49 – California’s first highway association.
Plaque and 100 year capsules placed on July 23, 1976 by Golden Chain . . . — — Map (db m6876) HM
He was born Sept. 25, 1882 on the old Stevenot Homestead one-half mile west of this marker. Son of Emile K. and Sarah E. Stevenot and the grandson of Gabriel K. Stevenot, Calaveras County pioneer who pitched tent there in April, 1850.
Student, . . . — — Map (db m6847) HM
Built in the early 1850’s, year not documented, by Frank Egan, as the Central Park Hotel. Then, it included a brothel upstairs. The hotel was sold to Mrs. Mitrovich and renamed The Waverly Hotel. Blagoje “Billy” Ratkovich bought the . . . — — Map (db m40811) HM
To the pioneer craftsman whose skills, ingenuity and determination established permanent communities in the wake of the gold rush, and whose progeny have continued to contribute to the region’s character and spirit, recognition is . . . — — Map (db m58925) HM
Avery one-room school was established April 4, 1886. School was in session from March to December due to winter snows that kept the highway closed.
Hazel Fischer taught here from July 1916 to March 1941. Ms Fischer took all the students to San . . . — — Map (db m53304) HM
The oldest continuously operated hotel in Calaveras County, it was built as a family home in 1851 by Joseph and Sarah Goodell of Maine. The Goodells later relocated to Stockton. In 1853 Peter and Nancy Avery, also of Maine, began operating it as a . . . — — Map (db m20626) HM
July 1875, at Funk Hill 4 miles due east Black Bart, alias Charles E. Bolton or Boles, wearing a flour sack mask and a linen duster, waving a double-barrelled shot gun held up the Wells Fargo Sonora to Milton Stage. The first successful stage . . . — — Map (db m70090) HM
Present site of one of the last family-founded and-still-operated-by-that-family phone companies in America. Founded by Jim Tower, who strung his first telephone wires in 1895 tacked along posts of barb wire fences, earning himself the colorful . . . — — Map (db m57982) HM
With the discovery of copper ore in 1860 by Thomas McCarty and William K. Reed, the town of Copperopolis sprang into existence and soon became the largest producer of copper in the western United States. The population of Copperopolis grew to exceed . . . — — Map (db m13004) HM
Located atop a prominent hill, this cemetery overlooks the community of Copperopolis and it’s surrounding area.
After crossing through the wrought iron gates and walking amongst the paths you’ll find yourself surrounded by the 4 foot natural stone . . . — — Map (db m19759) HM
Josephine Felix arrived from France in 1852, one of the first settlers in Salt Spring Valley. Soon widowed, she established a waystation at the junction of the Angels and Central Ferry Roads. She wed neighbor Alban Hettick and the couple developed a . . . — — Map (db m58929) HM
In the 1860’s Copperopolis had a population of 10,000 and was the principal mine in the west. The mine closed in 1945.
This building has housed a saloon since it was built in 1862. Twice it survived raging fires which destroyed the town.
The bar . . . — — Map (db m19770) HM
Board’s Crossing was first used as a cattle crossing in the early 1870’s. Brothers David and William Board moved here from Missouri in 1854. They settled in Salt Springs Valley and raised cattle. This shallow ford across the river was a favorite . . . — — Map (db m58791) HM
Built in 1860 by John and Rebecca Gardner, this was a stage coach stop on the Big Trees Carson Valley Road. A toll road from 1862 – 1910. The hotel served as a depot for stockmen and as a summer resort.
Noted for its ice cold springs, it . . . — — Map (db m57983) HM
Built is 1861 by Antonio and Caterina Gagliardo. Served as a Post Office and social center for the community of Douglas Flat. A hand dug well located next to the store supplied Douglas Flat with good fresh water and remains in good shape today. . . . — — Map (db m58852) HM
A portion of this building served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to 1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas. George W. Leger then acquired the court building and made it a part of his adjoining hotel, which has been . . . — — Map (db m11537) HM
Beneath this spot in 1851, Joe H. Zumwalt established the first chapter of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus. On his way West, Zumwalt discovered an amusing ritual in the newspaper office at Bowling Green, Mo. Arriving in Moke Hill . . . — — Map (db m45976) HM
First American scientist awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (Physics – 1907); Dean of American Optics; Measured velocity of light, ether drift, standard meter, steller diameters. Lived here during childhood. — — Map (db m32818) HM
During the Gold Rush Days of California the organization known as E Clampus Vitas flourished throughout the gold diggings. It was sort of a parody of the solemn and mysterious fraternal orders then so popular in the states. Every member held an . . . — — Map (db m115597) HM
Founder of Murphys, 1848.
John and brother Daniel set up trading post; hired Miwok Indians to mine gravel – paid them in merchandise
Murphys was first known as Murphys Diggings; then Murphys Camp – later Murphys
John Murphy . . . — — Map (db m34335) HM
Member of Fremont’s Battalion during Mexican War. Established Indian trading posts throughout Central San Joaquin Valley. Leader of the first expedition of the Mariposa Battalion into Yosemite Valley, 1851
Dr. Lewis Leach described Savage as . . . — — Map (db m34057) HM
Built in 1858 by Pierre Bonet with fire proof steel shutters and stone walls. Owned and operated by Victorene Compere to provision the miners. Restored and preserved as a private residence in 1939.
Historic American Building Survey No. 1108 . . . — — Map (db m32872) HM
William Gordon Huff
1903 ~ 1993
Sublime Nobel Grand Patriarch
Grand Clamp Artist
Visionary • Artist • Sculpture
Bill conceived, named, and created
E Clampus Vitus Wall of Comparative Ovations
as a memorial to portray early . . . — — Map (db m31195) HM
At this place, April 30th 1892, without warning, a lone bandit fired two charges of buckshot into the stage carrying the payroll for the Sheepranch Mine. Miss Johanna Rodesino, a passenger, was instantly killed. Babe Raggio, driver, was severely . . . — — Map (db m11683) HM
In this cemetery lie the remains of 600 Calaveras pioneers. All died in the once adjacent county hospital and were interred here between 1890 and the 1910’s. Mostly older men, they lacked the means to be buried in a church or town cemetery. Some . . . — — Map (db m19324) HM
The Red Barn Museum is the only remnant of The Calaveras County Hospital that remains on these grounds. The two-story hospital was built in 1870, and remained in use until Mark Twain Hospital was constructed in 1951. This building served as the . . . — — Map (db m102244) HM
The discovery of gold in 1860 on George Johnson's Sheep Ranch, by Harvey Childers led to the birth of the community. In the 1870's the town included a Catholic and Protestant Church, a post office, a two teacher school with 30 students, and the . . . — — Map (db m102263) HM
First located in 1867, the fabulous Sheep Ranch Mine produced more than 8 million dollars in gold while in operation. Aquired in 1877, by senator George Hearst, K.B. Haggin and associates. It was operated continuously by the Hearst firm until 1893, . . . — — Map (db m102288) HM
For more than 80 years, the area was known as Onion Valley due to the profusion of wild onions growing here. It was mainly used as a summer stock range. In the late 1860-70’s a sawmill was operated by C. Brown. Later a man called . . . — — Map (db m40974) HM
From New York in 1900 to the present day in California; from cookhouse to firehouse this bell has been a part of Vallecito’s history.
In 1906, Beach Thompson needing water for his hydraulic mining, and investors in San Francisco needing . . . — — Map (db m32727) HM
The store was built in 1851 and opened for business in 1852 by the Dinkelspiel family, who had recently emigrated from Germany. The buildings were made of rhyolite tuff blocks from the Altaville Quarry. The small adjoining building originally used . . . — — Map (db m11967) HM
The original three foot narrow gauge line was built by the San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada Railroad, extending from Brack’s Landing on the Mokelumne River, east to Valley Springs. The depot and turntable were built around the time of completion of the . . . — — Map (db m10635) HM
In 1859 Tacitus Ryland Arbuckle located a homestead in the Sacramento Valley, and in 1875 had the land plotted for a town site. The legendary Arbuckle founded the town, deeded the lots, furnished the nails, and helped build the first houses in what . . . — — Map (db m54548) HM
This house, also called the Tin House because of its pressed metal siding has a symmetrical façade that is suggestive of a Colonial Revival influence. In the 1890’s a flour mill was located on this site but eventually closed because of continued . . . — — Map (db m72987) HM
In the 1850s, Chinese came to California, a land they called Gum Shan, meaning Mountain of Gold, for the same reason as other nationalities: to seek their fortune. As the placer gold played out, Chinese took jobs building railroads, dams, levees, . . . — — Map (db m54986) HM
Squire Silas Stone emigrated with his family from Iowa in 1853 and settled half mile east of this marker. The pioneer's home stood nearby until 1957. His son Albert eventually expanded the ranch to 800 acres and gave the family name to the present . . . — — Map (db m93667) HM
You protected us on the field of battle. You watched over our eternal rest. You will not be forgotten. We are forever grateful.
Dedicated in memory of Specialist 4th Class George D. (Doug) Deitrick and his scout dog, Egor (75IM), . . . — — Map (db m93604) WM
From 1860 to 1906, this area was the largest coal mining district in California. Five towns (Nortonville, Somersville, Stewartville, Judsonville and West Hartley) grew up around twelve major mines. Today the towns are gone. The buildings having been . . . — — Map (db m93611) HM
This was the first high school constructed in Contra Costa County. Supported by the Womans Club of Antioch, the first joint communities bond was passed in 1908 for $20,000 by Antioch, Pittsburg, Somersville, Nortonville and Live Oak.
Charles . . . — — Map (db m91845) HM
This area was the original site of the coal mining town of Somersville. The town was located here because of the availability of good drinking water. When the railroad arrived in 1866, water could be hauled from the San Joaquin River and the town . . . — — Map (db m93608) HM
Eleven women founded the Woman's Club of Antioch in February, 1902. They pledged to "improve and beautify the town, to do any business which shall promote the educational, industrial, benevolent, social or political welfare of its members or the . . . — — Map (db m93605) HM
This house, which serves as the museum for the East Contra Costa Historical Society, was originally built by Johnson and Elizabeth Fancher in 1878. In the early 1880's the Fanchers sold the house and surrounding acreage to John and Letitia Byer. In . . . — — Map (db m94652) HM
At this location, in 1878, a railroad station was established for the San Pablo and Tulare Railroad, which ran from Los Banos to Martinez, later to become part of the Southern Pacific Railway, for the purpose of taking on water, and became known as . . . — — Map (db m17325) HM
Born in Mexico in 1832 the renowned "Robin Hood of the El Dorado" spent his early days in Californa working in Contra Costa County as a vaquero before turning bandit.
Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No. 13
E Clampus Vitus
November 6, 1976 . . . — — Map (db m24567) HM
This area in the mid 1850s, was a known hideout for legendary bandit Joaquin Murrieta, who worked as a vaquero for John Marsh on his rancho just east of here. It was also frequented by John "Grizzly" Adams, famed California mountain man.
In 1927 . . . — — Map (db m94657) HM
Jacob Rhine's National Saloon had an impressive inventory of cigars and liquor in 1874.
The saloon was renamed after Carl Berendsen bought the property in 1905. He added a building shipped from San Francisco via Martinez for family living . . . — — Map (db m57976) HM
Don Salvio Pacheco granted this land designated as a cemetery to serve Clayton and Concord. There are many prominent pioneers of early Clayton and Concord buried here. They include members of the following families: Atchinson, Babel, Clayton, . . . — — Map (db m93630) HM
On this site in 1874, Julio Richelieu, bartender, served up the first martini when a miner came into his saloon with a fistful of nuggets and asked for something special. He was served a "Martinez Special." After three or four drinks, however, the . . . — — Map (db m57975) HM
This Victorian cottage was the home of the Robert Borland Family. Built in 1890 by Dr. John S. Moore, D.D.S., and originally used as his dental office. The property was inherited by his daughter, Mrs. Emma Moore Borland. The Martinez Historical . . . — — Map (db m16730) HM
This monument erected in honor of his contributions as a soldier, mountain man, and explorer who through his efforts and those of his breed such as Jim Bridger, Thomas Fitzpatrick, Jedediah Smith, helped explore and open the way to the West. There . . . — — Map (db m93508) HM
Dedicated to the family of Don Ignacio Martinez, who settled El Rancho Pinole in 1830. Many of his descendants rest here, members of one of Contra Costa's first families.
Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13
E Clampus Vitus
September . . . — — Map (db m53061) HM
Potters field at Alhambra Cemetery. Here, marked by numbered headstones the size of bread loaves, are buried over 600 poor and unknown early pioneers of California and Martinez. The earliest known burial was in 1853 and they continued until the . . . — — Map (db m93541) HM
William Hook came to the California gold country in 1850 to sell mining equipment and build mining machinery. In 1853 Hook opened a general store at the corner of Ferry and Main Streets in Martinez. Over the years Hook brought up land in Contra . . . — — Map (db m93510) HM
In 1865, at the age of 17, James Rankin emigrated from a Scottish coal mining town after hearing of the "Black Gold" in Contra Costa. He worked with pick and shovel in the underground mines of Somersville.
In 1885, Rankin was elected sheriff and . . . — — Map (db m93506) HM
The City of Martinez has been the home of a train station along the waterfront for 125 years. The first station (approximately 200 yards to the east of this site) was erected in 1876 and closed in 2001 when this station was opened.
More than . . . — — Map (db m93542) HM
Founded by Dr. Robert Semple in 1847, the Martinez-Benicia ferry was the first established and longest operating ferry service in the S.F. Bay Area. In 1850 Oliver Coffin took over the operation and with his brothers purchased a new ferryboat, the . . . — — Map (db m27645) HM
In this cemetery are laid to rest many of the early California pioneers, settlers and their families. One of the more famous is Joseph Reddeford Walker, XNGH - mountain man, guide and pathfinder. — — Map (db m93507) HM
In the city, from 1879 to 1932, the 70 acre parcel of land extending in a triangle from what is now Bush Street to Pacheco Boulevard to Brown Street to Alhambra Creek was owned by The Christian Brothers Religious Teaching Order, Founded by Saint . . . — — Map (db m112828) HM
In 1849, Vicente Martinez built a two-story adobe ranch house on his portion of the Rancho Pinole. This land was inherited from his father, Don Ignacio Martinez, a Spanish officer who became Comandante of the San Francisco Presidio and later Alcade . . . — — Map (db m50821) HM
The First National Bank Building was designed by E.L. Norberg and built by G.H. Fields & Co. in 1921.
In January 1927, the bank was purchased by Liberty Bank of San Francisco, which then merged with Bank of America Los Angeles later the same day. . . . — — Map (db m37488) HM
In 1860, at the confluence of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers, settlers founded the village of Black Diamond. Named for the coal that was mined in the Mount Diablo foothills, the village of Black Diamond flourished as a shipping port for coal . . . — — Map (db m91846) HM
1413 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1213