Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

E Clampus Vitus Historical Markers

Preserving Western Heritage1416 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 1016
 
Pittsburg Post Dispatch Building and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, October 29, 2010
Pittsburg Post Dispatch Building and Marker
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — Pittsburg Post Dispatch Building
Built in 1923, this brick building was the home of the Coast Counties Gas and Electric Company which provided utilities to the City of Pittsburgh. The company closed its office in the 1950s and the building became a newspaper publishing and . . . — Map (db m37423) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pleasant Hill — Rodgers Ranch
Patrick Rodgers left Ireland for America C. 1843 at the age of 10, without his family. In 1855, he arrived in California for the Gold Rush. In 1868, he and his wife, Mary Ann, bought this 149-acre site to grow wheat. The Rodgers, along with eight . . . — Map (db m99625) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Port Costa — The Burlington HotelEstablished 1883
Port Costa's old timers are quite certain that the rumor of the Burlington Hotel being a bordello is untrue. Their reasoning is that the respected owners and their families lived nearby, therefore it could not have been a bordello. However, the . . . — Map (db m57971) HM
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — CHL-497 — S.S. Emidio
Nearby are portions of the hull of the General Petroleum Corporation tanker S.S. Emidio, which on December 20, 1941 became the first casualty of the Imperial Japanese Navy's submarine force action on California's Pacific Coast. The ship was attacked . . . — Map (db m113247) HM WM
California (Del Norte County), Klamath — Captain Courageous1963 - 1983
The heroic voyage of this crossbreed steer; floating downriver from Klamath Glen and up the coast into Crescent City Harbor, was an inspiration to the flood victims of Klamath. He embodied their courage, stamina, and indomitable spirit. A living . . . — Map (db m91941) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Chinese Miners of the Mother Lode
Following the California Gold Rush of ’49, swarms of Chinese miners came to make their mark on the diggings in the Mother Lode, including this Coloma Valley. They were industrious and self-contained and mostly content to thoroughly comb the old . . . — Map (db m12225) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James W. MarshallDiscoverer of Gold
“Boys I believe I have found a gold mine” so said James W. Marshall to his millworkers on January 24, 1848, after he discovered gold in the tail race of Captain John A. Sutter’s sawmill at Coloma. This discovery started the great Gold . . . — Map (db m12224) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe Family Homestead
The home of the pioneer Monroe family stood here for more than a century. The family matriarch, Nancy Gooch, came across the plains from Missouri as a slave in 1849. She gained her freedom in 1850 when California joined the Union as a . . . — Map (db m17455) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Replica
This replica of Sutter’s Mill was based on research from many sources – a drawing by James Marshall, an old photograph of the mill, and the results of several excavations made on the original mill site. The building is 60 feet long, 20 feet . . . — Map (db m12206) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — 700 — El Dorado (Mud Springs)
Trading post, emigrant stop, and mining camp of the 1850’s. This became one of the remount stations of the Central Overland Pony Express. Here at the Nevada House on April 13, 1860, pony rider William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses while carrying the . . . — Map (db m11571) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — 699 — Mormon TavernOverland Pony Express Route - California
At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and . . . — Map (db m12056) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — American River Inn
American River Inn formerly American Hotel Destroyed by fire, 1899 Rebuilt by F. Schmeder 1899 — Map (db m54944) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 17 — Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall
[Three small markers are mounted on the front of the building:] Marker 1: Balsar House A hotel built in 1850 by Madam Balsar Remodeled for an opera house in 1870. Restored by the Independent Order Odd Fellows and used as a . . . — Map (db m54812) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Civil War Armory
Built in 1862 for the Georgetown Home Guard — Map (db m54931) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 484 — Georgetown
Founded August 7, 1849 by George Phipps and party. Nicknamed Growlersburg from the heavy nuggets that “growled” in the miners’ pans. Georgetown was the hub of an immensely rich gold area. After the disastrous fire of 1852 the old town . . . — Map (db m57962) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown - Pride of the Sierra / Growlersburg / E Clampus Vitus
Georgetown Pride of the Sierras Georgetown was founded in 1849 by George Phipps, a member of a party of sailors prospecting for gold, who first pitched his tent near the head of what is now known as Empire Canyon. George's town quickly . . . — Map (db m54773) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Blues
A Military Company Was Organized At Georgetown In August 1859, Called The Georgetown Blues This Is In Honor Of Them, And Dedicated To All United States Veterans Who Have So Honorably Answered Their Nation’s Call To Duty America . . . — Map (db m55078) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Firehouse
This firehouse, completed in 1965, was built to replace one on the opposite side of Main Street which was inadequate to house modern equipment. Headquarters of the Georgetown Fire District, now in this building, were formerly on Church Street. — Map (db m54929) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Hotel
Built 1856 Destroyed twice by fire and rebuilt in 1896 — Map (db m67570) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Miners Club
Built 1862 Operated as morgue during Civil War — Map (db m55077) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Shannon Knox House
Oldest Residence in Georgetown Built in the late Spring and Summer of 1854 — Map (db m54823) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Wells Fargo Building
Wells Fargo Building and State Stop Built in 1852 — Map (db m54932) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — 705 — Moore’s (Riverton)
This was the site of a change station of the Pioneer Stage Company in the 1850’s and 1860’s. During 1860-1861, the Central Overland Pony Express maintained here the first pony remount station east of Sportsman’s Hall. — Map (db m57977) HM
California (El Dorado County), Latrobe — LatrobeEst. 1864
The youngest town acquisition of El Dorado County owes its origin to the Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroad. They established a station for neighboring Amador County at this crossing of the roads. The town started on the completion of the . . . — Map (db m19317) HM
California (El Dorado County), Meyers — 708 — Yank’s Station
This was the site of the most eastern remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express in California. Established as a trading post in 1851 by Martin Smith, it became a popular hostelry and stage-stop operated by Ephraim “Yank” . . . — Map (db m433) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — John Mohler Studebaker
1833 - - - 1917 Pioneer – Blacksmith – Soldier Inventor – Builder — Map (db m35536) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 475 — PlacervilleOriginally Known as “Hangtown” — Incorporated May 13, 1854
Established on banks of “Hangtown” Creek as rich mining camp in spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and hills. Supply center for surrounding mining camps and transportation terminus for famous Comstock Lode. John . . . — Map (db m12732) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 701 — Placerville Pony ExpressStation and Terminus
Gold Rush town and Western Terminus of the Placerville – Carson Road to the Comstock. Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express, April 4, 1860 – June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860 the first east-bound pony . . . — Map (db m57973) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Swift Berry“Mr. Clamper”
Born Nebraska 1887. Educated Biltmore Forest School, North Carolina. Began career 1908 in California with U.S.F.S. Major U.S. Army A.E.F. 1917 – 1919 General Manager Michigan California Lumber Co. 1925 – 1949 California State . . . — Map (db m57974) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Three Unfortunates Hanged
“Somewhere here lie the remains of the three unfortunates hanged in late 1849 from the oak tree in the feed corral after fair trial by the vigilantes. This incident changed the name of Dry Diggins to Hangtown. Let us not judge them too . . . — Map (db m57972) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — 704 — Sportsman’s Hall
This was the site of Sportsman’s Hall, also known as Twelve-Mile House. The hotel operated in the late 1850’s and 1860’s by John and James Blair, a stopping place for stages and teams of the comstock. It became a relay station of the Central . . . — Map (db m609) HM
California (Fresno County), Centerville — 23 — Kings River - Centerville
Gabriel Moraga of the Spanish Army, on Jan. 6, 1806 camped near here on the banks of a river never before seen by white men. The day was Epiphany, commemorating the visit of the three kings of the East to the Christ Child. This holy day suggested a . . . — Map (db m27833) HM
California (Fresno County), Clovis — 9 — Academy
One Quarter mile NW of here in a grove of oak tress on the south bank of Dog Creek was established "The Academy" in 1872. It was the first secondary school in Fresno County. J.D. Collins, later Sheriff was the first teacher. Just easterly of The . . . — Map (db m28014) HM
California (Fresno County), Clovis — Tarpey Depot
Built in 1892 as one of the three depots along the line of the San Joaquin Valley Railroad, this structure was originally located on the Tarpey Ranch just southeast of what is now the intersection of Ashlan and Clovis Avenues. In the span of its . . . — Map (db m101992) HM
California (Fresno County), Clovis — 14 — The San Joaquin Valley Railroad
In 1891, Marcus Pollasky formed a company to construct a railroad from the junction of the Southern Pacific Co. tracks in Fresno to the Sierra with the idea that eventually the railroad would cross the mountains and open the San Joaquin Valley to . . . — Map (db m28017) HM
California (Fresno County), Dunlap — Converse Basin Grove
One of the largest stands of Giant Sequoias, it contained some of the finest Big Trees. The grove was logged as a private land between 1897 and 1907, first by the Sanger Lumber Company and later by Hume-Bennett Lumber Company, which in 1909 . . . — Map (db m52239) HM
California (Fresno County), Dunlap — 33 — Dunlap CemeteryBaker's Mountain
Arriving in Fresno County in 1870, Sands Baker purchased a quarter section of land at the base of what became Baker's Mountain. Baker continually added to this tract until he had about 2000 acres. Baker was prominent in the mountain community. He . . . — Map (db m28066) HM
California (Fresno County), Easton — 35 — Easton / Washington Union High School District
[Side A:] Easton In 1878, O.W. Easton and J.P. Whitney, San Francisco entrepreneurs, bought a total of 12 sections of land in this area (7680 acres), formed the Washington Irrigated Colony and began selling 20-acre farms. Allen T. . . . — Map (db m28011) HM
California (Fresno County), Firebaugh — 10 — Andrew Davidson Firebaugh - Firebaugh's Ferry
Andrew Davidson Firebaugh was born in Virginia in 1823. He served with the Texas Mounted Riflemen in the Mexican War. Coming to Californian in 1849, he fought in the Mariposa Indian War under Major James D. Savage on the expedition that discovered . . . — Map (db m28015) HM
California (Fresno County), Fowler — Fowler's Switch
In 1872, the old Central Pacific Railroad, forerunner of the Southern Pacific, constructed a north-south line through the San Joaquin Valley, which opened the valley to commerce and settlement. The railroad contructed a switch a short distance . . . — Map (db m26132) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — China Alley街人唐
In 1874 600 people moved to what is now Fresno. Of those, 200 were Chinese, who made the brick and helped start the building of Fresno. A short time later, they were persuaded to settle west of the train tracks. They built an area of shops, which . . . — Map (db m52981) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Christmas Tree Lane
In June of 1919, William "Billy" Winning, age 14 died in a tragic accident at his family home on Van Ness Boulevard. In December of 1920, Billy's mother, Mae, decorated the deodur cedar in front of the home as a memorial to Billy, who had loved . . . — Map (db m102120) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 3 — Fort Washington
Approximately 2 miles north of this point, Fort Washintgon was built in the spring of 1850 by Wiley B Cassity (Cassady or Cassidy), Charls D. Gibbes, Major Lane and others. This fort, probably the first building erected in Fresno County, served as . . . — Map (db m28013) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 18 — Fresno County Courthouse
A temporary rough board building, containing county offices, was erected near the spot in the fall of 1874, about the time the cornerstone was laid for the original permanent courthouse. Fresno was selected by the voters in a previous spring . . . — Map (db m27940) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 27 — Fresno Traction Company1903 - 1939
During the year 1903, streetcars began to rattle along the city streets from the San Joaquin River through the fig garden area to downtown Fresno and east along Huntington Boulevard to Sunnyside. Providing a reliable, entertaining, even . . . — Map (db m27830) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 6 — Green Bush Spring
On this spot in the early days was a flowing spring beside which stood a large green bush. Wild horses, deer, elk and antelope watered here and it served as a watering place for sheep and cattle. The presence of this water caused the railroad in . . . — Map (db m101867) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 28 — John Charles Fremont
Fremont passed within sight of this spot on April 7, 1844. He is coming from the San Joaquin River to the Kings River with his mountain men guides, Thomas "Broken Hand" Fitzpatrick, Kit Carson and Alex Godey. Fremont described a vast prairie with . . . — Map (db m78355) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Kogetsu-Do
Kogetsu-Do A Fresno landmark. Confectioner Kogetsu - Do has survived in the same location it has occupied for 99 Years. Sugimatsu Ikeda and his wife Sakino started the business in 1915 and were able to purchase this building on "F" Street in . . . — Map (db m101863) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 20 — Moses J. Church
The Father of Fresno Irrigation. He was born in New York State in 1819, became a blacksmith and emigrated to California in 1852. He came to Fresno County in 1868 and employed by A. Y. Easterby, built the first irrigation system for lush fields of . . . — Map (db m101865) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Sierra Sky ParkAmerica's first aviation community
Established October 23, 1946 as America's first aviation community. Through the efforts of Wm. and Doris Smilie, 130 acres of rolling "hog-wallow" and hardpan were transformed into a public use airport, with a sod runway, connecting taxi-way and . . . — Map (db m78354) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 2 — Site of Church-Sperry Mill and Mill Ditch
Built in 1883 by Moses J. Church, Fresno's first flour mill operated with Fancher Creek water run through Mill Ditch and down Fresno Street. The original wooden structure was replaced in 1892 by a brick building and was sold to the Sperry Flour . . . — Map (db m69808) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — The Basque Hotel
[Marker mounted to the left of the entrance door.] This building is the first Basque Hotel built near the Central Pacific Railroad lines that brought many new immigrants to Fresno and the San Joaquin Valley. It was one of several . . . — Map (db m101868) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — The Fresno Brewing Company
Ernst Eilert, a European trained Brewmaster and his son William established the Fresno Brewing Company on this site in 1899. They built a six story brewery, a laboratory, a racking room, stable and other structures. Five kinds of beer were brewed . . . — Map (db m26298) HM
California (Fresno County), Friant — 13 — Millerton
Due north of here, now covered by the waters of the lake, was the site of Millerton, first County Seat of Fresno County 1856-1874 — Map (db m52442) HM
California (Fresno County), Humphreys Station — Humphrey Station
This site was originally called Mechanicsville, gradually changing to Humphrey Station after Miles Humphreys' store. Miles Humphreys came to California to join his brother John after the Civil War and saw an opportunity by opening his store at this . . . — Map (db m28272) HM
California (Fresno County), Kerman — 42 — Kerman
Originally, in the late 1800's Kerman was called "Collis" in honor of the Southern Pacific Railroad President at the time, Collis P. Huntington. The Southern Pacific Railroad line was built through Kerman in 1891. The name was changed to Kerman in . . . — Map (db m28840) HM
California (Fresno County), Kerman — 5 — Sycamore PointSkaggs Bridge Park
Steamboats carrying supplies for Millerton reached the head of navigation at Sycamore Point on the south bank of the San Joaquin River about one mile upstream from here. In the spring of 1852 and for many years thereafter paddle wheel steamers made . . . — Map (db m47418) HM
California (Fresno County), Piedra — 34 — Choinumni
Upon the arrival of the white man early in the nineteenth century, a group of people were already here. These people called themselves Choinumni. According to the Choinumni, they have been in this area for thousands of years. Prior to the arrival of . . . — Map (db m27998) HM
California (Fresno County), Reedley — Major James D. Savage
James D. Savage was born in 1817 in Cayuga County, New York and moved to Illinois as a a child. He was described as a strong man with blue eyes and a magnificent physique. It was said that he was smart as a whip, shrewd in business and adept with . . . — Map (db m101846) HM
California (Fresno County), Reedley — 29 — Poole's FerrySmith's Ferry
Side A - North Poole's Ferry Most important of Kings River's earliest crossings, it was operated from 1851 - 1857 by William Campbell and John Poole 3 miles above this point. The ferry and its trading post served travelers and . . . — Map (db m28844) HM
California (Fresno County), Reedley — Wagon Bridge1885 - 1929
In the early 1850's, before it became a town, Reedley was in Mariposa County. The only way to cross the Kings River was doing so at your own risk or to find a ferry and pay a fee to cross. The Reedley area could claim two operating ferries. . . . — Map (db m77752) HM
California (Fresno County), Sanger — 37 — Dalton Mountain
In 1891, a posse shootout forced the infamous Dalton Brothers gang from this mountain hidehout. They made their way back to Kansas where they eventually met their fate in Coffeyville. The outlaws, long since gone, leave Dalton Mountain as their . . . — Map (db m27962) HM
California (Fresno County), Sanger — 25 — Kings River
Its waters made possible the irrigation of a million fertile acres, despite a 39 year battle over water rights. From 1882 forward, 150 lawsuits were filed and early irrigators often used armed force to open headgates to water their crops. L. A. . . . — Map (db m27996) HM
California (Fresno County), Sanger — 32 — Sanger
Founded by the Pacific Improvement Co. following the completion of Southern Pacific's east side railroad in May 1888. Its name honors Joseph Sanger, Jr., Indiana rail executive. Sanger, supported by a rich fruit citrus farming district which later . . . — Map (db m28164) HM
California (Fresno County), Sanger — 38 — William "Yank" Hazelton1824 -1906
"Yank" Hazelton, son of Joseph, a blacksmith, and Sophia Cleveland, was born in Coeyman, N.Y., in 1824. He emigrated to California through San Diego in 1853. He settled on this site and homesteaded this land in November, 1857, with his wife of 2 . . . — Map (db m28069) HM
California (Fresno County), Selma — 19 — Frank Dusy
Born in Canada in 1836, orphaned at age 8, he worked at numerous jobs before arriving in California in 1858. In his 40 years here he pioneered in photography, discovered Tehipite Valley and other prominent Sierra features. He led construction of the . . . — Map (db m28156) HM
California (Fresno County), Selma — 30 — Groundwater Irrigation Beginnings
[Marker Front:] Groundwater Irrigation Beginnings The San Joaquin Valley's groundwater reservoir was first tapped with a practical pumping plant 4 miles northeast of here on Dec. 12, 1894. William De La Grange of Selma, tired of . . . — Map (db m28594) HM
California (Fresno County), Selma — Libby, McNeill and Libby Cannery
On this 6 1/4 acre site, Libby, McNeill and Libby opened the San Joaquin Valley's largest cannery on July 18, 1911, less than four hectic months after the site was acquired and construction plans were announced. The initial construction cost was . . . — Map (db m52240) HM
California (Fresno County), Selma — 24 — Selma
Founded along this street in the late spring and early summer of 1880 by Jacob E. Whitson, George B. Otis, Monroe Snyder and E. H. Tucker as a 40 acre townsite mapped from Whitson's homestead and wheat field. Selma boomed and first prospered here . . . — Map (db m28161) HM
California (Fresno County), Squaw Valley — Millwood
Two miles northwest of here astride Mill Flat Creek is the site of old Millwood. A sawmill town established in 1891. Railroads brought logs here for milling and later lumber from other nearby mills including that which cut the privately owned . . . — Map (db m2979) HM
California (Fresno County), Tollhouse — 11 — Tollhouse
In the early 60's Elijah Sarvers, a solitary goatherd, was the first non-Indian here. In 1866 the Woods Bros. began making shakes on Pine Ridge, hiring Indians to carry them down the mountain. In 1867 the county granted them a franchise to build a . . . — Map (db m28016) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 477 — Eureka"I Have Found It"
Eureka was founded as a town in 1850 and incorporated as a city in 1874. Located on the remote northwestern coast of California, Eureka was the region's major port of entry by water in the 19th century before the construction of good access by land, . . . — Map (db m113509) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 154 — Fort Humboldt
By the early 1850's, newly arrived white settlers had moved into the Humboldt Bay area, causing conflict with the native inhabitants. To protect both Indians and settlers, Fort Humboldt was established in 1853 and operated until 1866. It became a . . . — Map (db m19936) HM
California (Humboldt County), Orick — Big DiamondA Circus Elephant
"Big Diamond", a circus elephant expired near here in 1927. His skinned hulk was buried. Years later, his bones were unearthed and speculation arose about a Humboldt mastodon until investigators were enlightened by people who'd seen the . . . — Map (db m22274) HM
California (Humboldt County), Petrolia — Cape Mendocino LighthouseLit Dec. 1, 1868 to Mar. 3, 1951
Built at 422 ft. elevation, the light swept 30 mi. to sea. The perilous waters here claimed nine ships. Mules took supplies to the site, 15 mi. north, the westernmost in the U.S. Dedicated to the Keepers of the Light — Map (db m51954) HM
California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse
Lit Dec. 1, 1868, the light from its first order Fresnel lens swept 30 miles to sea. Decommissioned in 1951, the structure slowly began to inch toward the 422’ cliff. The light was dismantled in 1998 and moved to Point Delgada, Shelter Cove by the . . . — Map (db m1093) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — 216 — Town of Trinidad
Founded April 8, 1850, Trinidad is the oldest town on the Northern California coast. During the 1850s, it served as a vital supply link between ships anchored at Trinidad Bay and miners in the Klamath, Trinity, Salmon River, and Gold Bluff mines. It . . . — Map (db m1188) HM
California (Imperial County), Calexico — Calexico Carnegie Library
Completed in 1919, the library was constructed with a $10,000 grant from industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Calexico's Woman's Improvement Club and the Farmers and Merchants Club encouraged the city to apply for the Carnegie funds. In . . . — Map (db m62070) HM
California (Imperial County), Calexico — 808 — Camp Salvation
Here on September 23, 1849, Liet. Cave J. Couts, Escourt Commander, International Boundary Commission, established Camp Salvation. From September till the first of December 1849, it served as a refugee center for distressed emigrants attempting to . . . — Map (db m50586) HM
California (Imperial County), Calexico — Hotel De Anza
The Hotel De Anza was opened on May 28, 1931 by Will R. Conway, an experienced hotelman. The $48,000 cost was partly financed by Calexico citizens. It was opened with a big celebration after being built in only four month. The hotel featured three . . . — Map (db m62071) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Camacho's Place and Café
Camacho's Place was opened for business on December 12, 1946 by Richard Camacho and his wife, Juanita. It is erected on the site of a former Seventh-Day Adventist church and school that had been damaged and abandoned following a major earthquake on . . . — Map (db m62073) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — 1008 — Yuha Well
Known as Santa Rosa De Las Lajas (Flat Rocks), this site was used on March 8, 1774 by the Anza exploring expedition, opening the land route from Sonora, Mexico, to Alta California. On December 11 to 15, 1775 the three divisions of Anza's colonizing . . . — Map (db m62074) HM
California (Imperial County), Felicity — 985 — Site of Camp Pilot Knob
Camp Pilot Knob was a unit of the Desert Training Center, established by General George S. Patton Jr., to prepare American troops for battle during World War II. It was the largest military training ground ever to exist. At the peak of activity here . . . — Map (db m50590) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Holtville
E Clampus Vitus marker dedicated 1983 Holtville W. F. Holt established this townsite in 1903; built the first electric power plant at 3rd and Holt, the Holton Interurban RR; started the first church, the first newspaper and donated . . . — Map (db m62031) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Imperial Valley Church of the Brethren Site - Dunkard Church
The church was organized January 14, 1911. The building was constructed the same year on one-half acre of land given by W.J. Seat, located one-quarter mile south of this site. The founders saw Imperial Valley as a land of opportunity for their . . . — Map (db m62014) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Imperial Valley Swiss Club
From their arrival in Fall, 1901, Swiss and their "Americans of Swiss Descent" have contributed greatly to the ethnic diversity of this valley. Their Schwingfests since 1921 and this club since 1924 have celebrated both their ancestral traditions . . . — Map (db m108846) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — 1034 — Site of Rancho El Tecolote
Prolific author Harold Bell Wright purchased 160 acres here in 1907. While living in a tent he built Rancho El Tecolote, constructing a woven arrow weed studio in 1908 and a ranch house in 1909. From 1907 to 1916 he wrote three best sellers, . . . — Map (db m62032) HM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — 944 — Site of Fort Romualdo Pacheco(1825 - 1826)
In 1774, Spain opened an overland route from Sonora to California but it was closed by Yuma Indians in 1781. In 1822, Mexico attempted to reopen this route. Lt. Romualdo Pacheco and soldiers built an adobe fort at this site in 1825-26, the only . . . — Map (db m50589) HM
California (Imperial County), Jacumba — 939 — Desert Tower
Bert Vaughn of Jacumba built the stone tower in 1922-23 to commemorate the pioneers and road and railroad builders who opened the area. In the 1930s W.T. Ratcliffe carved the stone animal figures which lurk in the rocks surrounding the tower, . . . — Map (db m50214) HM
California (Imperial County), Jacumba — 194 — Mountain Springs Station Site
From 1862-70, Peter Larkin and Joe Stancliff used a stone house about a mile north of here as a store from which ox teams pulled wagons up a 30% grade. The San Diego and Fort Yuma Turnpike Co. used the site as a toll road station until 1876. The . . . — Map (db m50232) HM
California (Imperial County), Niland — Salvation Mountain
This is the culmination of a personal religious intensity few mortals will ever experience. Started as a temporary monument to God's love in 1984 by Leonard Knight, it grew into the worldwide phenomenon you see before you. Born on November 1, . . . — Map (db m114541) HM
California (Imperial County), Ocotillo — Jay C. von Werlhof
The Imperial Valley College Desert Museum represents the creative vision of noted archaeologist and anthropologist Jay Crawford von Werlhof (1923-2009) A prolific author, von Werlhof wrote many scholarly books and articles on the archaeology . . . — Map (db m82451) HM
California (Imperial County), Palo Verde — Fort Gaston
Near this spot,situated on the west bank of the Colorado river, about 45 miles of fort Yuma, Fort Gaston was established in 1859 by Captain Henry S. Burton, Company F 3rd Artillery. The Camp served as a supply post for the Hoffman Exposition in . . . — Map (db m86209) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 806 — Fort Yuma
Originally called Camp Calhoun, the site was first used as a U.S. Military Post in 1849. A fire destroyed the original buildings. By 1855 the barracks had been rebuilt. Called Camp Yuma in 1852 it became Fort Yuma after reconstruction. Transferred . . . — Map (db m50585) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 568 — Hernando De Alarcon Expedition - 1540
Alarcon's mission was to provide supplies for Francisco Coronado's expedition in search of the fabled Seven Cities of Cibola. The Spaniards led by Hernando De Alarcon ascended the Colorado River by boat from the Gulf of California past this point, . . . — Map (db m88572) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — Picacho
As Avi-Milikit of Quechen legends; Picacho noted Spanish arrival in 1640, lured Sonora miners after 1852, brought steamboats to its mining and milling port until 1910. Her mines were never worked to extinction, but Picacho became a squatter haven. . . . — Map (db m51576) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 193 — Picacho Mines
Opened by placer miners after 1852, the gold mines expanded into hard rock quarrying by 1872. Picacho employed 700 miners at its peak from 1895 to 1900. Mill accidents, low ore quality, and the loss of cheap river transport with the building of . . . — Map (db m50584) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 845 — Plank Road1914 - 1927
This unique plank road seven miles long was the only mens early motorists had for crossing the treacherous Imperial Sand Dunes. The eight by twelve foot sections were moved with a team of horses whenever the shifting sands covered portions of the . . . — Map (db m50682) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 350 — Site of Mission La Purisima Concepcion, 1780-1781
In October 1780, Father Francisco Garces and companions began Mission La Purisima Concepcion. The mission/pueblo site was inadequately supported, colinists ignored Indian rights, usurped the best lands and destroyed Indian crops. Completely . . . — Map (db m46896) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 921 — Site of Mission San PedroY San Pablo De Bicuner
To protect the Anza Trail where it forded the Colorado River, the Spanish founded a pueblo and mission nearby on January 7, 1781. Threatened with the loss of their land, the Quechans (Yumas) attacked this strategic settlement on July 17, 1781. The . . . — Map (db m29057) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 182 — Tumco
Pete Walters of Ogilby discovered the first gold vien at Gold Rock on January 6, 1884. From his little Mary claim began a gold camp which reached its peak development between 1893 and 1899 as Hedges, with 3200 residents. Nearly closed, 1900-10, it . . . — Map (db m50581) HM
California (Inyo County), Aspendell — Power for the Diggins
With the discovery of gold and silver in Nevada at Goldfield and Tonopah, the need for electric power for mining operations was fulfilled in September, 1905, by construction of a hydro-electric plant on Bishop Creek, which supplied 1,300 kilowatts . . . — Map (db m629) HM
California (Inyo County), Big Pine — Westgaard Pass Toll Road
Camp Independence soldiers needed a road to Waucoba-Deep Springs. In 1873 J. S. "Scott" Broder completed this road and collected tolls until 1900. In 1913 A. L. Westgaard led an American Automobile Assn. tour across here, seeking a new . . . — Map (db m54425) HM
California (Inyo County), Big Pine — Zurich Station
Zurich Station, formerly Alvord, was established in 1884 as a freight and passenger station on the Carson & Colorado Railway - known locally as "The Slim Princess." Zurich was the main railroad station for Big Pine and points east. Its name was . . . — Map (db m92763) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — "Atlas Copco Mucker"
This historic mining artifact is known as a track mucking machine. It dates back to the 1960s and was used by Union Carbide Corporation at the nearby Pine Creek Tungsten mine 20 miles North West of Bishop. During World War II and for some years . . . — Map (db m78131) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — Lynching of the Convicts
Near this location, on Oct. 1, 1871, escaped convicts Moses Black and Leander Morton were lynched by vigilantes to avenge the killing of Robert Morrison, a well liked Wells Fargo agent from Benton. Morrison was a member of the sheriff's posse who . . . — Map (db m72571) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — Owensville
The first white man’s settlement in northern Owens Valley was built here in 1861 and two years later prospectors named it Owensville. It thrived for some time but in 1864, as mining in the White Mts. petered out the miners moved on to better . . . — Map (db m2953) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — Pine Creek Mine
West of this spot, gold was discovered in the Pine Creek drainage by Civil War veterans. It was not until April, 1916, when tungsten was discovered by four men: O.E. Vaughn, A.E. & C.C. Beauregard, and James Sproul on their claims, Blizzard 1, 2, 3 . . . — Map (db m2952) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — 208 — San Francis Ranch
In 1861, Samuel A. Bishop, his wife and party left Fort Tejon for the Owens Valley driving 650 head of stock. On August 22, Bishop reached a creek later named for him and southwest of this spot, established San Francis Ranch. There a peace treaty . . . — Map (db m627) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — The Little Kittie Inn
In August 1924 Matt Wilkenson opened the Kittie Lee Inn, which was named for his daughter. When William R. Whorff purchased it in 1925, the Kittie Lee became "the" place to stay for Hollywood's finest. When Bishop Airport was a training center . . . — Map (db m72572) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — The Mule
A hybrid offspring of a male donkey, commonly known as a jackass and a female horse. Characterized by long ears, a braying voice and short mane, this patient and sure footed animal has been used as a beast of burden throughout the world. Its . . . — Map (db m92729) HM
California (Inyo County), Cartago — "Cottonwood Charcoal Kilns"
[Upper Main Marker:] In June 1873 Colonel Sherman Stevens built a sawmill and flume on Cottonwood Creek high in the Sierra’s directly west of this spot. The flume connected with the Los Angeles Bullion Road. The lumber from the flume was . . . — Map (db m52104) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley — 52 — Amargosa Opera House
This building was originally built by the Pacific Coast Borax Company in 1924. The original name of the facility was Corkill Hall, and was the social center for Death Valley Junction between 1924 to 1948. Between the years 1948 to 1967, Corkill . . . — Map (db m78582) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley Junction — 51 — Death Valley Junction
This historic crossroad has been used by Indians, Clampers, Death Valley 49ers, ranchers, farmers, settlers and tourists. The town was originally called Amargosa. In 1907, the name was changed to Death Valley Junction. At this junction, the Tonopah . . . — Map (db m78583) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — Furnace Creek Ranch, Death Valley
Furnace Creek is a spring fed stream flowing into Death Valley. Native Americans lived here centuries prior to its discovery by lost Forty Niners. In 1881, Aaron Winters found borax nearby, and sold his claims and water rights to William Tell . . . — Map (db m115054) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 349 — Camp Independence
At the request of settlers, Colonel George Evans led a military expedition to this site on July 4, 1862. Hence its name “Independence”. Indian hostilities ceased and the camp closed. War again broke out in 1865 and the camp was . . . — Map (db m2954) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — Edwards House
Thomas Edwards came to the Owens Valley in 1863, acquired land and founded the township of Independence. He built this house in 1865. It is the oldest house in Inyo County. — Map (db m52101) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — Engine #18
An oil burning steam locomotive, built by Baldwin in 1911, was purchased by the Southern Pacific R.R. in 1926 to haul passengers and freight along the 300 miles narrow gauge line, known locality as the “Slim Princess”. Jim Butler of . . . — Map (db m52099) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — Kearsarge Station
Built originally as a stagecoach depot in 1866, it evolved into a railroad station in 1883 to carry freight and passengers on the Carson & Colorado Railroad line, known locally as the "Slim Princess". It served the Independence community from 1883 . . . — Map (db m72573) HM
California (Inyo County), Keeler — Cerro Gordo
Cerro Gordo discovered by Mexicans in 1865 was at $17,000,000 Inyo's wealthiest mineral producer. Silver, lead, xinc, water and supplies all went by mule train, tram. The "Bessie Brady" boat across Owens Lake and Remi Nadeau mule teams to build the . . . — Map (db m72747) HM
California (Inyo County), Keeler — Dolomite Mine
In 1862 this high quality deposit of dolomitic limestone was discovered. Its remorte location delayed development until 1883, when the Carson & Colorado Railroad was constructed. In 1885, Drew Haven Dunn filed a mining claim and the Inyo Marble . . . — Map (db m72577) HM
California (Inyo County), Keeler — KeelerEnd of the Line
From Mound House, Nevada, narrow gauge rails of the Carson & Colorado Railroad reached this site in 1883. Cerro Gordo and other mines faltered, the rail line fell on hard times, so plans to extend the line to Mojave were abandoned, leaving Keeler as . . . — Map (db m72574) HM
California (Inyo County), Keeler — Owens Lake Dust Mitigation Program
Owens Lake was once over 300 feet deep and part of a large ancient freshwater lake. As the climate changed over centuries, the lake began to dry up leaving behind concentrated minerals and salts. By 1905, diversion of water by farmers in the Owens . . . — Map (db m72575) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Alabama Gates
The Alabama Gates and gate house were constructed in 1913 when the Los Angeles Aqueduct was built to dewater the aqueduct when maintenance is necessary. On November 16, 1924, seventy or more local citizens seized the aqueduct at the Alabama Gates . . . — Map (db m93252) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — 107 — Ballarat
3 1/2 miles east of this point lies Ballarat. Established in 1897 as a mining camp and supply center for the gold and silver mines located on the western slope of the Panamint Mountains. It was named after a well-known gold producing area in . . . — Map (db m78549) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Cartago Boat Landing
In the 1870’s bullion bars from Cerro Gordo mines were hauled across Owens Lake on the steamer “Bessie Brady” to Cartago Boat Landing. Remi Nadeau’s 14 mule teams hauled the bullion to Los Angeles, returning with freight. — Map (db m81960) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Lone Pine Pioneer Cemetery
This cemetery was established in 1865 when Mrs, McGuire and her son were killed on Jan. 1, 1865, during the last battle of the 1860's Owens Valley Indian Wars. Those buried here were the Town's founders, including C. Begole and A. Johnson, who along . . . — Map (db m93443) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Movie Flats
Since 1920, hundreds of movies and TV episodes, including Gunga Din, How The West Was Won, Khyber Rifles, Bengal Lancers, and High Sierra, along with, The Lone Ranger and Bonanza, with such stars as Tom Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gary . . . — Map (db m52103) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — 112 — Panamint City
Rich sliver ore was discovered in December 1872 at the head of Surprise Canyon 12 miles northeast of here. The United States Senators for Nevada, John P. Jones and William Morris Stewart, invested in and promoted the camp which drew a peak . . . — Map (db m78544) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — The Adobe Wall
On March 26, 1872 at 2:30AM, one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded destroyed 52 out of the 59 buildings in Lone Pine. Because of the scarcity of building materials the largely immigrant population of Lone Pine, (estimated 250-300), . . . — Map (db m52102) HM
California (Inyo County), Shoshone — 152 — Shoshone
Located at Metbury Spring on the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad, Shoshone was founded in 1910 by Ralph Jacobus "DAD" Fairbanks. After the collapse of the mining camp of Greenwater (approximately 20 miles northwest of here), "DAD" Fairbanks came to . . . — Map (db m78511) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Alphonse Weill Residence
This is the original site of the residence of pioneer merchant Alphone Weill, wife Henrietta, and three children, Irma, Blanche, and Lawrence. The house, built in 1882-3, and now standing in Pioneer Village, was constructed by Alexis Godey, former . . . — Map (db m55120) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Ethel's Old Corral
These days restaurants come and go in the blink of an eye. But every so often a venue dishes up just the right mix of food and ambiance. Ethel's Old Corral is a perfect example of a restaurant getting it right. Great food, entertainment, customer . . . — Map (db m89308) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kern County Courthouse
This was the site of the original county courthouse in Bakersfield (1874). In 1913 it was purchased by the city for use as a city hall and was occupied until the earthquakes of 1952. The present city hall was dedicated in 1954. — Map (db m116962) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kern County Hospital
In 1875 a one story wooden building was erected here facing G Street in a swampy area. Facilities were primitive. Cost of the structure was $1,400. — Map (db m83295) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Southern Pacific Railroad Jail
Approximately 3,000 men labored on railroad construction up and over the Tehachapi Mountains in the 1870s. It took over three years for the line to be completed through Kern County. As the railroad slowly progressed through the county, . . . — Map (db m25606) HM
California (Kern County), Bodfish — Silver City Ghost Town
In 1855 gold was discovered in the Kern Valley. Miners flocked here from throughout the world to get in on what was believed to be California's second great gold rush. Towns sprung up in the area but many were abandoned within a few years when the . . . — Map (db m51825) HM
California (Kern County), California City — 20-Mule Team Trail
From 1883 to 1889, wagons hauled borax along this road 165 miles from Death Valley to Mohave. The route was laid out by J.W.S. Perry. He and a muleskinner named Ed Stiles designed the wagons to carry the heavy loads to the rail depot. The wagon . . . — Map (db m101998) HM
California (Kern County), California City — 129 — The Randsburg - Mojave Road
The Randsburg Mojave Road was built by Rice & Shippee of Mojave to speed stage transportation from the Southern Pacific railroad station at Mojave, to the rich gold mines in the Randsburg area; service commenced on November 22, 1898. The stage left . . . — Map (db m78529) HM
California (Kern County), Cantil — Florence "Pancho" Barnes
Florence Leontine Lowe was born July 29, 1901 in Pasadena. Through an arranged marriage in 1921, she became the wife of a minister, Rankin Barnes. She ended her relationship with him a few years after bearing a son, Billy. Florence acquired the . . . — Map (db m51666) HM
California (Kern County), Frazier Park — El Camino Viejo
El Camino Viejo (The Old Highway) began as an inland trail prior to 1800. It was originally a refugee route running between present day San Pedro in Southern California to the East Oakland area in the north. It was used by Indians, trappers, . . . — Map (db m116500) HM
California (Kern County), Havilah — First Catholic Church and Cemetery in Kern County
This is the site of the first Catholic Church St. Joseph's and Cemetery built in Kern County in August 1866. It was established by Father Francis Dade, the circuit priest headquartered in Visalia. The Catholic Church here in Havilah was moved to . . . — Map (db m89215) HM
California (Kern County), Havilah — Stage Robbery!
The last stage coach robbery in Kern County occurred near here on August 26, 1896. The Kernville stage to Caliente was held-up by a lone gunman on horseback who got $1,700 in coin and gold bullion from the Wells Fargo strong box. He did not molest . . . — Map (db m83415) HM
California (Kern County), Johannesburg — 18 — Red Mountain
One of the richest silver strikes occurred in the community of Red Mountain. The Kelly and Grady claims started a silver boom which brought prosperity to this region in the 1900's. In one 60 day period over $170,000 in silver was mined from a hole . . . — Map (db m78593) HM
California (Kern County), Kernville — Bob PowersJune 7, 1924 – September 11, 2002
A fifth generation native of Kern River Valley, Bob is best remembered for the 9 history books he wrote. Without him much of what happened in our valley’s past would have been lost. He was a cowboy, cattleman, ranger, family man and historian. But . . . — Map (db m25238) HM
California (Kern County), Kernville — Roads End
In 1910 this was Camp 8 – the end of the road. From this uppermost camp a rough wagon track pushed one and one half miles up the river to where Southern California Edison Company constructed the intake for Kern River No. 3 Power Plant. In . . . — Map (db m83825) HM
California (Kern County), Lake Isabella — Old Isabella
Located to the northwest of here, Isabella, a ranching and mining town, was named by Steven Barton in 1893, after Queen Isabella of Spain, Patron of Christopher Columbus. A post office was established here in 1896. In 1953 the community was moved a . . . — Map (db m76872) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — Peter Lebeck
Killed by a bear October 17, 1837. In memory of a pioneer of whom only conjecture can speak. — Map (db m83563) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — The Camels of Fort Tejon
In 1856 the U.S. Army started an experiment using camel for supply transport in the southwest. The camels proved ill suited to the American southwest. In November 1859 a civilian contractor turned over 28 camels to the Army at Fort Tejon. . . . — Map (db m32821) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — The First and Only "Camel Brigade" of the United States Army
The first and only "Camel Brigade" of the United States Army commanded by Lt. Edward E. Beale 1857-1864. San Antonio, Texas to Fort Tejon, California. — Map (db m32820) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — 93 — Josephine Stephens Bishop
"Josie" was born on June 18, 1875 in Silver City, New Mexico to Harvey and Harriet Whitehall. At 19 years old, she taught school in Pinos Altos, New Mexico. She married Herbert Hall Bishop on March 4, 1896, bearing him seven children. The Bishops . . . — Map (db m78560) HM
California (Kern County), Onyx — Onyx Store - 1880
William Scodie, born in 1827 in Prussia, originally moved to Keyesville in 1856 and opened an eating establishment. He relocated to this area in 1861 operating a way-station from his house. Stocking his front room with supplies, he sold to locals as . . . — Map (db m113824) HM
California (Kern County), Onyx — 99 — Walker's Pass
Discovered by Joseph R. Walker, American trail-blazer who left the San Joaquin Valley through this pass in 1834. This area was traversed by topographer Edward M. Kern, after whom the Kern River was named, while accompanying the Fremont expedition of . . . — Map (db m71071) HM
California (Kern County), Piute Springs — Piute Ranch Homesite of Elizabeth "Lizzie" McGuirkScobie, Shipsey, Kersey — 1860 - 1932
Came to territory by covered wagon in 1865 Settled here in 1876 Owned and operated Gwynne Gold Mine, store hotel and stage station cattle rancher, Indian agent Postmistress — Map (db m83310) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — 57 — Randsburg, California
Gold was discovered on the slope of Rand Mountain in 1895. From this discovery, the town of Randsburg sprang up almost overnight. By 1899, the town had over 3500 residents. Randsburg boasted a 100-stamp mill and conservative estimates are that . . . — Map (db m78578) HM
California (Kern County), Red Mountain — 8 — The Owl Hotel
The Owl Hotel where the action was! Dedicated to Hattie, Little Eva and the girls of the line. While the men mined silver, they dug for gold. — Map (db m78597) HM
California (Kern County), Ridgecrest — William Henry "Burro" Schmidt
A Monument to Determination and Perserverance William Henry "Burro" Schmidt Took thirty eight years to hand dig this half-mile long tunnel--Completed in 1936 Born in Rhode Island, January 30, 1871 Died in Ridgecrest, Calif., January . . . — Map (db m114470) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — Midway Cemetery - 25 Hill
In memory of the men, women and children who were the pioneers of the Midway Sunset Oilfields, never to be forgotten. This cemetery was established November 1911 by William Brooks of the Taft Undertaking Company on land supplied by . . . — Map (db m88604) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — The Fort, Taft
Built of native adobe, The Fort is a replica of Sutter's Fort in Sacramento, originally it was built to accommodate county, state, and federal officers, as well as be utilized as a town hall. The Fort was dedicated on May 22, 1940. — Map (db m54397) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — West Kern Oil Museum
The Jameson # 17 oil derrick, which was drilled in 1917 and produced until the 1980’s, was scheduled to be torn down. In 1974 the local American Association of University Women and several dedicated people convinced Jameson Oil Company to donate . . . — Map (db m88603) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Avelino MartinezDied at Age 112 on August 7, 1936 — Last Known Member of the Joaquin Murrieta Horse Gangs
To quote the authors, Frank F. Latta, Arnold R. Rojas, and Bonnie Ketterl Kane, per Rancho El Tejon’s Mayordomo (Supervisor) of almost sixty years, Don Jose Jesus Lopez (J.J.), about Avelino Martinez; “He was a little dried up gnome of a man, . . . — Map (db m98873) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Pass
Tehachapi Pass became the preferred route connecting the Mojave and the San Joaquin Valley after John C. Fremont and Kit Carson passed this way during the 2nd Fremont Expedition in 1844. Situated at the southern edge of the Sierra Nevada, Tehachapi . . . — Map (db m51786) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Great Flood of 1932 and Engine No. 3834
On September 30th torrential rains flooded Tehachapi Creek, undermining the tracks under Santa Fe Engine No. 3834 which was waiting out the storm about ½ mile east of Woodward Station. The engine disappeared into the raging water below. It . . . — Map (db m11912) HM
California (Kern County), Walker Basin — Rankin Ranch
This valley, Walker Basin, was originally named "The Park" before being named for Joseph R. Walker, an early day scout. The founder of Rankin Ranch, Walker Rankin was 22 when he left Pennsylvania in 1854 for the California "Gold Rush." He . . . — Map (db m71073) HM
California (Kern County), Woody — Granite Station(Five Dogs)
Built it 1873 by John Elden, this stand of buildings served as store, restaurant, and lodging place on the stage route between Bakersfield and Glennville. In later years it became a stopping place for freighters and sheepmen who were on their trek . . . — Map (db m25716) HM
California (Kern County), Woody — Joseph Weringer, Sr.Pioneer Businessman, Miner
Joseph Weringer, Sr., Born 1855 In Vienna, established the “Weringer Brewery and Bowling Alley” in Bakersfield in 1881. In 1889 he moved here and established the original townsite of Woody, named after pioneer rancher Sparrel Woody. . . . — Map (db m113825) HM
California (Kern County), Woody — Woody
Dr. Sparrell W. Woody, pioneer rancher, settled in this area in 1862. In 1894 quartz gold was discovered on Blue Mountain. Copper was discovered in 1891 by Joseph Weringer who operated both the Greenback Copper Mine and the Weringdale Hotel. The . . . — Map (db m83341) HM
California (Lake County), Clearlake Oaks — Ranch House
Considered by some to be the oldest dwelling in Lake County, the Ranch House was built in the 1850’s to 1860’s. It was associated with the earliest settlement of High Valley and beginnings of agriculture in Lake County. It is a one and one half . . . — Map (db m26738) HM
California (Lake County), Lower Lake — 429 — Lower Lake Stone Jail
Built in 1876 at the height of the quicksilver mining boom, the Lower Lake stone jail was a response to rapid town growth and the urgent need for civil order. Stephen Nicolai, one of the first stone masons in Lower Lake, built the jail from local . . . — Map (db m8509) HM
California (Lassen County), Milford — LAS-001 — Milford
First settled by Robert J. Scott on May 10, 1856, Milford is one of the oldest settlements in the Honey Lake Valley. In 1861 the first important flour mill in northeastern California was built here. In recognition of this, and of a sawmill, the . . . — Map (db m87776) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — LAS-002 — Jacks Valley
Named for John "Coyote Jack" Wright who left here in 1869. By 1880, five wagon roads converged here which resulted in various establishments over the years including a stage station, saloon, sawmill, dance hall, logging camp, and agricultural . . . — Map (db m87820) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassen County Courthouse
Lassen County was officially created on April 1, 1864 and three months later Susanville's founder, Isaac Roop donated this city block for the Lassen County Courthouse. On January 23, 1888 Holden Dick and Mexican Ben were lynched here, marking the . . . — Map (db m87779) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Pioneer Saloon
A saloon has been on this site since 1862. Originally known as the Humboldt Exchange, in 1863 the name was changed to the Pioneer. This bar is the oldest established business in northeastern California. — Map (db m87810) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — LAS-003 — Richmond
Due to "Gold Fever" and named for Richmond, Virginia by Orlando Streshly in 1859, the town of Richmond grew rapidly until 1861 - becoming the most important and populous settlement in the county "... overshadowing Susanville." Sporting hotels, a . . . — Map (db m87808) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — The Grand Cafe
Established in 1909, the Grand was first operated by Kwan Wong. In 1912, the Grand moved to this location and in 1921 Sam Vucanovich and Steve Sargent became the new owners. The original building collapsed in 1934 from construction next door and the . . . — Map (db m87817) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Boardinghouses
The first boardinghouses were built by Red River Logging in 1915 near the mill in Pine Town. The consisted of wood floors and canvas tents. Nine 2 story units built on Birch Street housed 80 men each while two units south of Birch Street housed . . . — Map (db m56715) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Chuck’s Railroad RoomWestwood Rail Depot
This building was part of the rail station from 1911-1958 of the Southern Pacific Line and was built by the Red River Lumber Company owned by the Walker Family. The Western Union and freight offices were a gathering place for local people. Leaving . . . — Map (db m56713) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Red River Bakery1917
Built in 1917 by the Red River Lumber Co. as a bakery, it supplied 3 stores and the company cookhouse. It was famed for its biscuits (as in biscuits & gravy) that gave the loggers the fuel needed to build Westwood out of virgin timber. It has also . . . — Map (db m56712) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — The Chimney
Built in late 1920’s as a Chevron Service Station, it was purchased in 1935 by the Tunisons who added the bar & restaurant with the fireplace. In Dec., 1942 bartender Ray Bollengier was shot and killed by an angry patron. The building burned in 1960 . . . — Map (db m66081) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood
A “Company Town” for 44 years Est. 1912 by T.B. Walker family, founders of Red River Lumber Co. 1944-1956 Fruit Growers Supply Co. — Map (db m56710) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Club
Built in 1914 by the Red River Lumber Co. as a mens club. The club had a pool room, card room, cafe, tobacco shop and a bar. It burned in 1944 and was rebuilt in 1945. Bought by George & Vera Young in 1957 & was turned into a market. Their son Mike . . . — Map (db m66083) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Firehouse
Built in 1913, this building has been the home of the Westwood Fire Department since its beginning. O.L. Lunt was the 1st Chief until 1918. Maurice Hertzig was appointed Chief in 1946 and served for 32 years, he was the last official chief. Once the . . . — Map (db m56708) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Masonic Lodge
This building was built in 1925 by George Peltier and was funded by The Red River Logging Company. The building housed the Free and Accepted Masons and was known as Westwood Lodge #502 F.&A.M. It has been a gathering place of friends and families . . . — Map (db m66082) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal1939-1989
Constructed by the Southern Pacific, Santa Fe and Union Pacific Railroads, opened on May 7, 1939. It was considered to be the most impressive railroad station of its type in the entire west. In it's heyday the terminal covered 52 acres, . . . — Map (db m114252) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 168 — Oak of the Golden Dream
Francisco Lopez made California’s first authenticated gold discovery on March 9, 1842. While gathering wild onions near an oak tree in Placerita Canyon he found gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. The San Fernando placers and nearby . . . — Map (db m51516) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — The Aerospace ValleyThey All Had The Right Stuff
With more than 150 "First Flight" records and numerous milestone in flight, the Antelope Valley has been home to Aerospace throughout the century. These numerous accomplishments include: -Air Force Capt. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager's breaking of . . . — Map (db m55372) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — The Ridge Route
The super highway of its day when opened in 1915. The Ridge Route, California’s first mountain highway, has been credited by some (for better or worse) as saving the state from being divided into two separate states. Constructed, graded, and paved . . . — Map (db m30783) HM
California (Madera County), Ahwahnee — 1001 — Wassama Roundhouse
Dating prior to the 1860s, the Wassama Roundhouse was reconstructed in 1985 on the location of the previous four houses. In 1903, the third roundhouse was built using portions of the center pole from the two earlier houses. The Roundhouse served as . . . — Map (db m46774) HM
California (Madera County), Ahwahnee — Wassama Village
The village of Wassama (leaves falling) is the site of the last above ground southern Miwok Roundhouse built in 1903. Religious ceremonies, dancing and gambling took place on the site until 1937. Southern Miwok dances including the 1870 Ghost Dance, . . . — Map (db m51571) HM
California (Madera County), Chowchilla — Railroads of ChowchillaSouthern Pacific Railroad — Chowchilla Pacific Railroad
Southern Pacific Railroad - Before the townsite was created the train stopped at Minturn. Chowchilla was known as McNears Crossing. After it was founded the company moved the train station to a site just south of Robertson Blvd. Twenty . . . — Map (db m62115) HM
California (Madera County), Coarsegold — Coarsegold1852 — (Coarse Gold Gulch)
Gold -- heavy coarse gold -- was discovered in this area and the texture led to naming the spot Coarse Gold Gulch. Nearby, the Texas Flat Mine which was filed on in 1853 became the oldest and most extensively worked ledge mine in the . . . — Map (db m33714) HM
California (Madera County), Coarsegold — Willow Glen
Willow Glen was first inhabited by the Chukchansi Indians. The grinding holes and other artifacts indicate that they have lived in this area since prehistoric times. In 1870 a stage road was built and in 1897 John McGinity homesteaded at Willow . . . — Map (db m60346) HM
California (Madera County), Knowles — Knowles
Founded by Frederick Erwin Knowles who bought the land from Frank Ducy and who organized the Raymond Granite Company in what had been referred to as "Ducys Rock Pile" In 1899, the Raymond Granite Company built a spur track from the quarry to the . . . — Map (db m33718) HM
California (Madera County), Madera — Berenda"Verrendo" Spanish for Male Antelope
June 1872 a former Fresno County Sheriff Leroy Dennis erected a store and hotel. Feb. 12, 1873 the first official Post Office of Madera County opened. Service stopped on Mar. 23, 1919 and USPS renamed the town Berenda "Female Antelope". The Central . . . — Map (db m62114) HM
California (Madera County), Madera — MaderaSpanish for "Lumber", The First Industry
Once a part of Mariposa and Fresno Co, this area was traversed by local Indians, fur traders, explorers and gold seekers. The first settlement in what is now Madera County was 16 miles up the Fresno River where James D. Savage located his store, . . . — Map (db m52241) HM
California (Madera County), Madera — Madera County Library Service
Starting in 1901 with a book on lumber, the library moved from place to place until 1917, when this historic building was built with county funds only. That eliminated strings from grants. An example of home rule. This was the first free library in . . . — Map (db m34944) HM
California (Madera County), Madera — Madera to Yosemite Stage RouteEst 1879
Switching from the iron horse to the horse drawn stage after a night at Madera's Yosemite Hotel, which still stands across the street from this monument, at 6 A. M. the tourists would load up in open stages to enable them a good view. Stagecoaches, . . . — Map (db m39516) HM
California (Madera County), Madera — Madera Zoo
In the year 1912 a Mr. William King Heiskell built an aviary with its first inhabitants being a green parrot and several species of birds from around the world. The zoo also had several ponds and water fountains and a bandstand. Although the Madera . . . — Map (db m34946) HM
California (Madera County), Oakhurst — Fresno Flats Townsite1856
Fresno Flats was a farming and supply center for the mining and lumber industries. The local blacksmith was known throughout the area as the only one able to fabricate and repair large wheels. The oldest still-operating in Madera County Post Office . . . — Map (db m60306) HM
California (Madera County), Oakhurst — Giant Sequoia Cutting
This slab of a Giant Sequoia was cut from a 2,000 yr old Sequoia toppled by a winter storm in 1979 in Eastern Tulare County. 200 feet in length and 50 feet in circumference, the tree weighed 900,000 lbs. In 1981, LDG Logging Co of Oakhurst purchased . . . — Map (db m60308) HM

1416 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 1016
Paid Advertisement