Robert Ripley's world-wide syndicated Believe It Or Not! column for July 31, 1935 read: "C. D. Abbott is the first citizen of the U.S.A. He is first alphabetically in Autaugaville, the first town in Autauga, the first county in Alabama, the . . . — — Map (db m68839) HM
Created in 1818 by an act of
Alabama Territorial Legislature.
Autauga Indians lived on creek
from which the county takes its name.
Autaugas were members of the Alibamo tribe.
They sent many warriors to resist
Andrew Jackson's invasion in . . . — — Map (db m27907) HM
Water has always played a significant role in the history of Prattville. Daniel Pratt chose the location for his new town because of the proximity to Autauga Creek and the Alabama River. This area was referred to as an . . . — — Map (db m70815) HM
This antebellum plantation house was completed by Capt. William Montgomery, a contemporary of Prattville's founder, Daniel Pratt.
This “Deep South” architecture reflects the Federal style with the later addition of a Colonial . . . — — Map (db m70795) HM
(Front): Daniel Pratt CemeteryFinal resting place of early Alabama industrialist Daniel Pratt, 1799-1873, and wife Esther Ticknor Pratt, 1803-1875. He was from New Hampshire and she, Connecticut. Married 1827 at Fortville, Jones County, . . . — — Map (db m27957) HM
Founder of Prattville
Daniel Pratt, a native of New Hampshire, became an industrialist, statesman and philanthropist in Alabama. He was a Methodist in both heart and practice. He encourage the development of the . . . — — Map (db m70813) HM
Prattville is often referred to as “The Fountain City” for the numerous free-flowing artesian wells found here. A 1933 edition of the Prattville Progress noted that there were more than 400 of these artesian wells in Prattville . . . — — Map (db m70805) HM
First Presbyterian Church of Prattville, Alabama
Organized 1846 by Pastor Wm. H. Mitchell, this congregation succeeded Millenium Hope Presbyterian, 2 mi. E. of town. Pastor Jas. K. Hazen (1861-77) married Mary Ticknor, . . . — — Map (db m81479) HM
Known as Fair Road, Sixth Street from Northington Street to the big curve was called “Happy Hollow”. The road went to the Fair home place but also curved right, into Warren Circle. Here stood a small frame church where the congregation’s . . . — — Map (db m70800) HM
Located within Daniel Pratt Historic District, this park overlooks Autauga Creek and the manufacturing complex around which this New England style village developed. Daniel Pratt founded Prattville in 1839, and patterned the town after those of his . . . — — Map (db m27958) HM
Indian Springs Post Office
Location of considerable Community activity in the early nineteenth-century Autauga County
Thomas Hill House
Site of first Court after Autauga became a County
Union Baptist Meeting House
1830s . . . — — Map (db m70798) HM
Built circa, 1840s by A.K. McWilliams, this story and one-half Federal-style raised cottage with Greek Revival elements was the residence of Amos Smith, who named the town of Prattville.
The west front parlor was the meeting place where the . . . — — Map (db m27982) HM
The county's third courthouse was used until 1906. George Littlefield Smith, an early citizen of Prattville, designed and built the Italianate-style structure. Earlier county seats were Washington, then Kingston.
Marker placed by the . . . — — Map (db m70808) HM
This cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Autauga County having been established as a burial ground by at least 1841. The land was officially set aside as a burial ground when the county seat was in this area from 1834 to 1868. The area . . . — — Map (db m82561) HM
The plank road was constructed of large pine logs, sawed lengthwise and laid round-side down. Daniel Pratt built the road for public benefit and to provide transportation from the Pratt Cotton Gin Factory to Washington on the Alabama River. Over . . . — — Map (db m27983) HM
Once the world's largest plant manufacturing cotton gins.
Founded 1833 by Daniel Pratt, the greatest industrialist of Alabama prior to 1860. Pratt's many industries were of great aid to Confederacy during Northern blockade. — — Map (db m70799) HM
Daniel Pratt, Prattville’s founding father,
constructed an imposing home and garden
within a quarter-mile of this site on
Autauga Creek, near his industrial complex.
The large home was designed and erected by
Pratt himself, a noted architect / . . . — — Map (db m27985) HM
Saint Mark's was organized in 1859 as a mission of the Diocese of Alabama. Services were first held at the Presbyterian Church and in the old Court House. In December 1876, the congregation purchased an old wooden frame chapel from the Methodists . . . — — Map (db m70801) HM
The poet and musician, born in Macon, Georgia, was Academy principal in 1867-68. He married Mary H. Day of Macon in December 1867. In Prattville, they lived at the Mims Hotel and later in Dr. S.P. . . . — — Map (db m70802) HM
This boulder erected by
The Merrill E. Pratt Chapter U.D.C.
April 26, 1916,
marks the spot where
The Prattville Dragoons
assembled in April, 1861,
on the eve of their departure
to the war,
and is commemorative of their . . . — — Map (db m70819) HM WM
A native of Prattville, Wilson Pickett was raised singing gospel in local churches. Upon moving to Detroit as a teenager, he began to blend gospel-style with rhythm and blues, resulting in some of "the deepest, funkiest soul music" to come from the . . . — — Map (db m70804) HM
Third oldest county in Alabama.
Created in 1809 while still part
of Mississippi Territory.
Named for Abraham Baldwin (1754-1807)
founder of University of Georgia,
delegate to Constitutional Convention, . . . — — Map (db m100839) HM
In 1860, the center of commerce in Baldwin County ran along the rivers with the remainder of the county mostly wilderness. In 1861, with secession declared, the Alabama Legislature allocated funds to finish the stalled Mobile . . . — — Map (db m100846) HM
Born and educated in England, Toulmin became a Unitarian Minister and fled persecution in 1793. In the U.S. he served as President of Transylvania University and Secretary of the State of Kentucky. In 1804 Thomas Jefferson appointed him as the first . . . — — Map (db m100850) HM
In memory of the Alabama
Confederate States of America
who served at Fort Blakeley
Mobile Bay District
United Daughters of the Confederacy
Bonnie . . . — — Map (db m87295) WM
The Battle of Fort Blakely April 9, 1865 was the last major battle of the Civil War. This 67 acre part of the Blakeley Battlefield was acquired in 2002 with assistance of grants from the Land & Water Conservation Fund administered by the National . . . — — Map (db m87296) HM
Both people and animals need salt to remain healthy. Before the Civil War the people of Alabama consumed about 50 pounds of salt per person per year, most of which came from England and the West Indies. One quarter of all the salt imported into the . . . — — Map (db m68503) HM
Standing on a low limb of a giant oak tree near here, General Andrew Jackson made a pep talk to his troops, fresh from their victory at the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend and poised before advancing on the British and Spanish at Pensacola, and the . . . — — Map (db m100852) HM
The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior . . . — — Map (db m100843) HM
This church and cemetery have been in continuous service by the citizens of this area since the 1840's. Originally named "Methodist Episcopal Church South." Land donated by William L. Howard. Building built by L. E. Edmondson and a Creole helper, . . . — — Map (db m49260) HM
On April 15, 1867, Major Lewis Starke deeded these two acres to four of his ex-slaves and their heirs as trustees for this church: Nimrod Lovett, Stamford Starlin (now Sterling), Narcis Elwa, and Benjamin Franklin.
In this cemetery is buried . . . — — Map (db m100851) HM
The City of Foley was founded in 1905 by John B. Foley of Chicago. Mr. foley, who was in the pharmaceutical business, heard about this area from a railroad land agent as they traveled to President William McKinley's funeral in . . . — — Map (db m50408) HM
The camellia, is often called the Queen of winter flowers, is the state flower of Alabama. Originally from the Orient, the camellia made its way to Europe in the 1600s, then to America and Australia in the 1700s. It now flourishes in the southern . . . — — Map (db m50411) HM
1942, Benjamin DeWitt Cobb, more affectionately known as “B.D.”, was appointed as the lone police officer for the town of Foley. In 1943, another officer was hired and B.D. was appointed as the first Chief of Police. This marked the . . . — — Map (db m81581) HM
(Obverse): First Alabama soldier to lose life in Civil War.
DeVotie graduated in 1856 from University of Alabama; Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Princeton in 1859. In 1856 at the University of Alabama, he was chief founder of Sigma . . . — — Map (db m4219) HM
Tribute dedicated to the memory of the soldiers who gave their lives in the defense of our country here at Fort Morgan.
Here lies the pride of seven flags entombed in our ancestor’s worth, who heard the thunder of the fray . . . — — Map (db m4649) HM
"Damn the Torpedoes!" is a familiar battle cry, but there's more to the story! The Mobile Civil War Trail is your guide to military movements and the way of life on and around Mobile Bay in the closing two years of the Civil . . . — — Map (db m87247) HM
After the surrender of Fort Gaines, U.S. General Gordon Granger prepared to besiege Fort Morgan. On August 9, 1864, he moved by transport to Navy Cove and debarked 2,000 men and his siege equipment at the Pilot Town wharf. By 2:00 p.m. he had . . . — — Map (db m87246) HM
This smoothbore, muzzle-loading cannon was one of the
main coast defense weapons in the United States' arsenal when Fort Morgan was completed in 1834. With an eight pound charge of powder the gun could fire a 32 pound solid iron shot about one . . . — — Map (db m87245) HM
6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle
Designed by Robert Parker Parrott at the outbreak of the Civil War, the Parrott Rifle became one of the most used rifled artillery pieces during the war. With shells that exploded on impact, rifled . . . — — Map (db m69898) HM
Constructed between 1899 and 1900, the battery was named in honor of Major General Henry Dearborn, a Revolutionary War hero. The battery mounted eight 12” breech-loading mortars. Each mortar weighed 13 tons and was 11’ 9” long. The . . . — — Map (db m69919) HM
Battery Schenck, named for First Lieutenant William Schenck who was killed in action during the Philippine Insurrection, was the second rapid fire battery constructed at Fort Morgan. Completed on June 4, 1900, the battery would sit without guns for . . . — — Map (db m70058) HM
The first of two rapid fire gun batteries, Battery Thomas was named in honor of Captain Evan Thomas, 4th U.S. Artillery, who was killed in action with the Modoc Indians at Lava Beds, California in 1873.
In March 1898, as the nation moved . . . — — Map (db m69826) HM
The Citadel, a large ten sided brick and wood structure, once dominated the Fort’s parade ground. Completed in 1825 as a defensive barracks, it was capable of housing 400 soldiers.
During the Union bombardment on August 22, 1864, the pine . . . — — Map (db m68751) HM
At, or near, this site, the United States, after seizing this point of land from the Spanish in 1813, built Fort Bowyer, a structure of wood and sand.
A small garrison of men courageously fought to defend the fort against two British attacks, one . . . — — Map (db m104017) HM
Officially designated “Pleasure Island” in 1949 by Governor Jim Folsom, the 32 miles of white sandy beaches in Gulf Shores has been a prime fishing and golf destination for Alabamians and tourists. Early Alabama Gulf Coast individuals . . . — — Map (db m52045) HM
This Shell Banks Baptist Church rests near the location of the first Indian village in America visited by a white man. This was the Indian village of “Achuse” visited by Admiral Maldonado who was one of De Soto’s officers. He scouted . . . — — Map (db m66295) HM
As the U.S. Army modernized at the turn of the 20th century, so too did its military posts. In the stratified society of this period, separate and distinct areas for the various classes of individuals were developed. The Army was little different, . . . — — Map (db m70104) HM
After World War I, the versatile M1918M1 gun and its M1918A1 carriage were adapted for coast defense. Although the gun could be traversed over a wider range than other large guns of the period, it was still unable to adequately track moving . . . — — Map (db m81808) HM
When Fort Morgan was modified between the 1890’s and early 1900’s, an allocation of $7,000.00 was made to build a “Peace” magazine. This building was the central storage area for the powder used by the fort’s guns. If war was expected, . . . — — Map (db m69917) HM
Completed on August 18th, Battery Lincoln was located near the northern end of the Federal siege lines of Fort Morgan. Company “C” of the 20th Iowa Infantry Regiment, under the command of Captain Mark L. Thomson, was detailed to serve . . . — — Map (db m81809) HM
Eager to attack Mobile Bay since 1862, U. S. Admiral David Farragut knew he could not capture control of the lower bay without the support of the army and without a flotilla of ironclad monitors to confront the Confederate ironclad CSS . . . — — Map (db m68815) HM
At 7:25 a.m., August 5, 1864, Admiral Farragut’s lead monitor Tecumseh steered into the torpedo field at the mouth of Mobile Bay. The admiral had ordered Commander Tunis Craven, the Tecumseh’s captain, to engage the ram . . . — — Map (db m69412) HM
As the Hartford and Brooklyn steamed into the lower bay, the Tennessee tried to ram both in succession but was too slow and had to let them pass. Admiral Buchanan then exchanged broadsides with the rest of Admiral Farragut’s . . . — — Map (db m69617) HM
The Citadel, a large ten sided brick and wood structure, once dominated the Fort’s parade ground. Capable of housing 400 soldiers, it served as a defensive barracks for the Fort’s garrison.
During the Union bombardment of Fort Morgan on August . . . — — Map (db m92994) HM
To Wait and Watch
In late August 1864 the Federals controlled Mobile Bay but could not attack Mobile. Admiral Farragut could not reach the city even with his light draft vessels, because the channels in the upper Bay had been obstructed. . . . — — Map (db m69909) HM
The U.S. Model 1918M1 155mm Gun, more commonly known as the “G.P.F.”, was a French heavy artillery piece manufactured in the U.S. for use by the U.S. Army during World War I. Due to the gun’s mobility and hitting power, it was used . . . — — Map (db m69910) HM
In 1841, Raphael Semmes acquired farmland at the head of this bayou. The new homestead was named Prospect Hill. Several of Semmes’ colleagues from the Pensacola Navy Yard obtained nearby property and established “a very nice colony of nautical . . . — — Map (db m71957) HM
Settlement of this area began in the early 1700’s and was expedited by a series of Spanish land grants in the early 1800’s. During the 1819-33 time period a brick factory along the south river bank supplied brick for . . . — — Map (db m66271) HM
Old tales have it that early explorers and even pirate vessels obtained potable water from springs scattered throughout the community of Magnolia Springs. This park is located at the largest of dozens of springs in the area.
In 1865 The . . . — — Map (db m68486) HM
The property where the cemetery is located was part of a Spanish Land Grant issued to the Suarez family prior to the War of 1812. In 1925, a United States Land Patent was confirmed and issued. The property has been in use since . . . — — Map (db m71618) HM
Orange Beach was named for the oranges that were grown here and exported until the hard-freezes of 1916. The orange groves are gone, but the name remained. Drawn here by the game they hunted, the early Indians discovered the . . . — — Map (db m81851) HM
“Damn The Torpedoes!” is the familiar battle cry, but there’s much more to the story! The Mobile Bay Civil War Trail is your guide to military movements and the way of life on and around Mobile Bay in the closing two years of the Civil . . . — — Map (db m81853) HM
This earthen mound was part of a redoubt constructed by the 1st Division, U.S. Colored Troops in April, 1865. The regiment saw considerable action against Confederate warships protecting the Blakely River. These earthworks have been preserved as a . . . — — Map (db m100853) HM
Born in Winchester, Virginia, he moved to Missouri where at age 17 he enlisted in the State Guard. In 1861 he became a Private in the Confederate States Army, was captured during the Battle of Wilson's Creek and escaped.
Captain Danner . . . — — Map (db m100880) HM
The earliest outline of a recognizable bay on the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico was shown on a 1507 map by German cartographer Martin Waldeseemuller–the same map to first apply the name "America" to the New World.
Alonso Álvarez de . . . — — Map (db m100841) HM
A trail used in early times by Indians, Spanish Explorers, French Settlers and later by soldiers during the battle of Spanish Fort 1865. At one time a stream driven train paralleled this trace. Its ancient road bed can still be seen south of this . . . — — Map (db m100877) HM
Named in honor of the 1,810 Men in Gray who defended the eastern approaches to Mobile in the battle of Spanish Fort March 26 ~ April 8-9, 1865. Here Brig. Gen. R. L. Gibson, C.S.A. engaged “…more than 20,000” enemy troops in the last . . . — — Map (db m100878) HM
Twenty-nine Union field guns, manned by men of the 3d Indiana,
1st Illinois and 2d Iowa Batteries, shelled these Confederate trenches
for 13 consecutive days and nights. The fact that these trenches were
never breached, attests to the courage of . . . — — Map (db m100873) HM
Capt. Cuthbert Slocomb of the 5th Company, Washington Artillery of New Orleans, commanded Redoubt No. 3, also known as Battery Blair,
consisted of one 8-inch Columbiad, two 12-pound Napoleons, one 3-inch ordinance rifle, and . . . — — Map (db m100871) HM
Redoubt No. 4 was part of the Confederate line known as Red Fort. Capt. John Phillip’s Tennessee Light Artillery manned the redoubt until they were relieved on April 4, 1865 by Garrity's Alabama Light Artillery. Lt. Henry . . . — — Map (db m100866) HM
Also called the Sandbag Battery, Redoubt No. 5 was originally commanded by Lt. Andrew Hargrove of Lumsden's Tuscaloosa Battery, Company F, 2nd Alabama Light Artillery Battalion. During the early stages of the battle, Lumsden's . . . — — Map (db m100875) HM
From this Confederate Fort 15 heavy artillery guns, repelled elements of 2 Union Army Corps, routed 5 ironclad monitors attacking up the Blakely River and for 13 days helped prevent the capture of Mobile until after General Lee's Surrender at . . . — — Map (db m100911) HM
Highest point along 2 miles of Confederate battle lines extending east and north. Here 200 soldiers from Georgia, Louisiana & Arkansas, held off a numerically superior Union Force for thirteen days and nights in the last battle of the War Between . . . — — Map (db m100913) HM
Dedicated to the men of the Confederate States of America who valiantly fought for our American liberties, "Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed... whenever any form of government becomes . . . — — Map (db m100936) HM
Built of red clay, armed with 12 heavy guns and served by 307 crack
Confederate Artilleryman from Batteries Perry (Tenn.) Phillips (Tenn.) Lumsden (Ala.) and Garrity (Mobile, Ala.). It was the keystone in the defense of Spanish Fort, 1865. — — Map (db m100868) HM
During the Revolutionary War, France, Spain, Britain, and the United States were interested in the fate of this region. In March 1780, Spanish forces captured Mobile. They established a palisaded fort with trenches (one mile north of here) to . . . — — Map (db m61451) HM
Ruins of the original Foundation of
Baldwin County's First Courthouse
Authorized 1820 • Constructed circa 1833
Preserved by Historic Blakely State Park 2011-12
With support in part of a Save Amerca's Treasures grant by the National Park . . . — — Map (db m82019) HM
Saluda Hill Cemetery is a private historical cemetery established in 1824. Among the graves here is that of Zachariah Godbold, the only known Revolutionary War veteran buried in Baldwin County. Many Blakeley residents and Confederate soldiers also . . . — — Map (db m81854) HM
Rendezvous for Indians, Spanish, French and English Explorers. In 1865, Three Confederate Brigades, outnumbered 10 to 1, engaged the Army of West Mississippi (Union Forces) in the last battle of the War Between the States. March 26~April 9, 1865. — — Map (db m100844) HM
Late on March 26, C.S. General St. John Liddell withdrew into the relative safety of Fort Blakeley and Spanish Fort, Liddell, assisted by General Francis Cockrell, assumed personal responsibility for the defense of Blakeley and put the defense of . . . — — Map (db m88990) HM
Canby brought up his heavy guns from Stark’s Landing a process that took several days, beginning on the 28th. Supported by the Federal monitors, Chickasaw and Winnebago, Canby tried to pound the enemy into submission The Confederates naturally . . . — — Map (db m88991) HM
On the evening of April 8th, 1865, while the Confederate fortifications were being shelled by Union artillery, the 8th Iowa Infantry advanced from near this point to the Confederate left and captured a part of the works, in hand to hand fighting. . . . — — Map (db m100883) HM
At dusk on April 8, 1865, 300 yards west of this site, the Union Army's 8th lowa Infantry and three Illinois Regiments breached the Confederate main line of resistance. Under the cover of night, troops holding the thin gray line spiked their guns . . . — — Map (db m100855) HM
The main Union siege line during the Battle of Spanish Fort ran along this ridge. Brig. Gen. Eugene Carr's Division occupied the right flank of the Union line between here and Minette Bay. Carr's men initially faced Confederate . . . — — Map (db m100857) HM
Located on this bluff overlooking Minette Bay, Battery No. 21 anchored the right flank of Maj. Gen. Edward Canby's Army of West Mississippi during the Battle of Spanish Fort. Maj. Gen. Andrew Smith's XVI Army Corps occupied the . . . — — Map (db m100854) HM
Dedicated to all women veterans
who have served, sacrificed
and suffered for our nation.
Your patriotism and courage are greatly
appreciated and will never be forgotten.
[Seals of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & . . . — — Map (db m100943) WM
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Baldwin County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — — Map (db m81855) HM
In 1813, people on the United State’s southwestern frontier were fearful. The Redstick faction of the Creek Indian Nation opposed growing American influence in the area and had voted for war. However, Creeks living in the Tensaw . . . — — Map (db m66394) HM
Modern Stockton is situated on a hill just above the original settlement, which was abandoned around 1840 because of Yellow Fever outbreaks. No verified source for the town name exists. Most likely it was . . . — — Map (db m66390) HM
Site of one of Alabama’s first sawmills. In 1811, Joshua Kennedy engaged Jesse Ember to build two water-powered sawmills, convertible to grist mills, for a total of $1400. The mills were operated by Kennedy through 1820; were burned twice, once by . . . — — Map (db m66379) HM
Here on the banks of the Tensaw River -- named for the Tensa Indian tribe whose principal village was located at this place -- Major Robert Farmar developed a plantation c. 1772. Farmar was one of the most prominent and controversial Alabamians of . . . — — Map (db m66380) HM
First known as Baldwin Presbyterian Church, members met in 1847, in Old Union Church near John Gallagher Springs. In 1903, the membership was moved to this site and the name was changed to Stockton Presbyterian Church. In 1956, the membership moved . . . — — Map (db m66387) HM
Surveyed in 1799 to mark the 31° North Latitude, this line charted the first southern boundary of the United States, separating the U.S. from Spanish Florida. The line was marked at one-mile intervals by earthen mounds approximately fifteen-feet . . . — — Map (db m81856) HM
Here in Creek Indian War 1813-14 took place most brutal massacre in American history.
Indians took fort with heavy loss, then killed all but about 36 of some 550 in the fort.
Creeks had been armed by British at Pensacola in this phase . . . — — Map (db m86293) HM
Approximately one mile south-southwest of here stood Fort Browder, a small wooden fortification built in 1836 for protection in the last war with the Creek Indians and named for Isham Browder, a prominent . . . — — Map (db m60895) HM
In 1828, Reverend John Wesley Norton left his native South Carolina with his family and a wagon train of followers, crossed into the Creek Indian Nation and just into the edge of what was then Pike County, settling near the . . . — — Map (db m78123) HM
The Blue Springs School was first established in 1920. The land was donated by Henry H Shepard. The Plans were drawn by the State School architect. The lumber was donated by citizens of the community and prepared at A.S. Knight’s sawmill. Other . . . — — Map (db m60680) HM
The Pea River Electric Membership Corporation was energized on this site on June 8, 1939. This rural electric cooperative was organized under an executive order signed by President F. D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935.
Rural members of Barbour, Dale . . . — — Map (db m71804) HM
Barbour County On this site in 1833 was erected the first Barbour County Court House, a round log building 20 feet square. The first county seat was located at Louisville which had previously served as the county seat of Pike. This old Pike . . . — — Map (db m81857) HM
George and Lurleen Wallace spent much time at Memorial Hall with their involvement in community events and the education of their children. They served 17 years as Governor and were the only husband and wife to serve as Alabama’s Governor. Wallace . . . — — Map (db m62807) HM
This church had its origins in a mission station established by the Rev. J. L. Gay in 1844. On May 10, 1872 the mission was formally accepted in the Diocese of Alabama as Grace Church. Construction of a church building began in 1875 on a lot owned . . . — — Map (db m60756) HM
County Seat of Barbour County
Clayton, the county seat of Barbour County is located geographically in the center of the county. The town was located at the headwaters of the Pea and Choctawhatchee rivers on the historic road . . . — — Map (db m60772) HM
Jere Locke Beasley was born in Tyler, Texas on December 12, 1935. At a young age, Beasley and his family moved to Clayton, Alabama very near the Pratt’s Station Community in which his great-great-grandfather had settled in 1819. He served as the . . . — — Map (db m82871) HM
John H. Miller built this Gothic Revival townhouse in 1859. He and his wife moved from Orangeburg, South Carolina to Barbour County in the early 1830s, settling in an area which would become known as the Tabernacle community. He later purchased a . . . — — Map (db m60755) HM
This unusual house was built 1859 – 1861 by Benjamin Franklin Petty, a carriage and furniture merchant, who was a native of New York and a pioneer settler of Clayton. It was patterned after a design made popular by Orson S. Fowler’s book A . . . — — Map (db m39121) HM
Church founded in 1835 and rebuilt in 1947. Union Baptist Church is the second oldest Baptist church in Barbour County.
In memory of Reverend John L. Dowling.
Loving husband and father. — — Map (db m60800) HM
Established under an Act of the Alabama Legislature in 1907, the school was built entirely by local initiative. It was completed in 1910 and occupied initially in September of that year.
Consistently characterized by faculties of dedication and . . . — — Map (db m71798) HM
Barbour County’s “Little Scotland”
In the 1820’s before the Creek Indian Cession, Scot immigrants from Richmond County, North Carolina, settled this area of west Barbour County. Few other regions outside the motherland of . . . — — Map (db m89605) HM
Near here is old Spring Hill, the site of one of the polling places for the November 3, 1874 local, state and national elections. Elias M. Keils, scalawag and judge of the Circuit Court of Eufaula, was United States Supervisor at the Spring Hill . . . — — Map (db m60894) HM
The Southwestern Railroad of Georgia was the first rail line to connect with Eufaula when the railroad bridge between Georgetown, Georgia and Eufaula was completed in late 1865. In 1867 the Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad Company was formed to build . . . — — Map (db m48624) HM
"Chief Eufaula," the man often referred to in the historical record as "Yoholo Micco," was a Creek chieftain from the Upper Creek town of Eufaula. Born in the late 1700s, he fought alongside allied Creeks with United States forces against his Red . . . — — Map (db m101427) HM
A primary factor in the eventual expulsion of the Creeks from their ancestral homeland was the fact that their territory was some of the best suited in the nation for the production of cotton. Containing enormous tracts of productive soils, a long . . . — — Map (db m101658) HM
Cowikee Cotton Mills, which operated on this site for over 100 years, was for decades Eufaula’s largest employer. The mill began in 1888 as the Eufaula Cotton Mill. In 1909 the Comer family purchased the business and renamed it Cowikee Cotton Mills. . . . — — Map (db m89606) HM
At the dawn of the recorded history of this land, the Creek Indians owned it. Before the men who built the great houses and the men who made the laws settled this area, the United States of America ceded this land to the Creek Indians for “As . . . — — Map (db m89608) HM
Lower Creek village of the Eufaula Indians antedating 1733. Early white settlers began moving into the village called Yufala in 1823. Irwinton chartered 1832, and renamed Eufaula in 1843.
Hub of a prosperous plantation region with thriving . . . — — Map (db m48432) HM
The origins of this church date back to 1834 when Methodists, under the leadership of Jesse Burch and others, met to worship and formed a Sunday School. A frame Greek Revival edifice, at the corner of Livingston and Barbour Streets, was completed in . . . — — Map (db m75188) HM
Built between 1856 and 1860 by Edward Brown Young and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, this was one of the first of the great Italianate style homes constructed in Eufaula. It later became the home of the builders’ daughter, Anna Beall Young, and her . . . — — Map (db m33759) HM
Irwinton Baptist Church was constituted on June 24, 1837. The name of the town changed to Eufaula in 1843, and consequently the name of the church became Eufaula Baptist Church. The church assumed its third name in 1869 when it was changed to First . . . — — Map (db m46237) HM
In 1836 sixteen Eufaula Presbyterians met in a room above William McKenzie’s store to hold worship services. By 1838 the congregation had built their first sanctuary dedicated to worship on the southeast corner of Forsyth Ave. and Union Street. . . . — — Map (db m60560) HM
This road marks the entrance into Eufaula of Federal Troops on April 29, 1865. Lee had surrendered at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9. General Benjamin H. Grierson was advancing with four thousand cavalry from Mobile and was then about at . . . — — Map (db m82872) HM
Built by John Hart about 1850, the Hart House is recognized as an outstanding example of pure Greek Revival architecture. Hart (c. 1805-1863) moved from New Hampshire and became a prominent merchant and farmer. When constructed, the house was on the . . . — — Map (db m48376) HM
Front Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula’s early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying . . . — — Map (db m27987) HM
The Second Creek war resulted in the final expulsion of the Creeks from eastern Alabama and paved the way for large-scale American settlement. The town of Irwinton gradually expanded westward from the bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee in the years . . . — — Map (db m101361) HM
The area surrounding Eufaula was once part of a regional Creek population center. Towns of note in the region included Sawokli (also known as Sabacola) and the town of Eufaula for which the modern city is named. Trails linked these closely-connected . . . — — Map (db m101355) HM
In 1836 long-simmering tensions between Creeks and American settlers erupted into warfare. The Creeks, crowded onto the last portion of their ancestral homeland and witnessing the rampant theft of their lands, had also become subject to harsh laws . . . — — Map (db m101360) HM
A small group of American settlers from Georgia formed a community called Eufaula in this vicinity as early as 1823. The settlement began to grow in importance later in the decade through the influence of prominent local landholder and Creek War . . . — — Map (db m101357) HM
The Tree That Owns Itself
Planned and Dedicated
April 19, 1961
Replacing the Walker Oak
Felled by Wind April 9, 1961
Original Deed Granted by
City of Eufaula
Post Oak Tree
April 8, 1936 . . . — — Map (db m101286) HM
(Front): First known as White Oak Chapel this church was dedicated on October, 18, 1859 by Rev. Issac I. Tatum of the Alabama Conference Methodist Episcopal Church South. The Society was organized by Rev. John J. Cassady who served as pastor . . . — — Map (db m82873) HM
One of the oldest towns in southeast Alabama was settled in 1817 by Daniel Lewis who established a trading post and named the community “Louisville” after the first capital of Georgia, his hometown. By 1820 four stores, a Methodist . . . — — Map (db m60768) HM
Near this site stood the old Pike County court house which was the county seat of Pike from 1822 to 1827. It also served as the temporary county seat of the newly created Barbour County in 1833, until Clayton was selected. Louisville was settled . . . — — Map (db m60674) HM
Absalom Pratt built this house 8 miles west of here circa 1835 though a section was constructed earlier. It was moved to this site in 1994 by the Cahaba Trace Commission, restored by the Alabama Historic Ironworks Commission, 1997-98, and dedicated . . . — — Map (db m37078) HM
The Bibb County Iron Company under the direction of C. C. Huckabee of Newbern, Alabama, constructed a furnace here and poured the first iron in November 1862. Within a year, the Confederate government purchased the works and completed a second and . . . — — Map (db m37090) HM
Wilson Hayes constructed this typical farm house for his wife and six children just south of Six Mile around 1900. After he moved to Oklahoma c. 1915, his daughter Ollie and her husband Levert Rotenberry lived in the home until 1928. Between 1928 . . . — — Map (db m37136) HM
Originally located off Patton Chapel Road in what is today Hoover, Alabama, the Sunshine and Dorothy Morton house was moved to the Brierfield Park in March 2005 by the Morton family and restored over the next two years by restoration specialist . . . — — Map (db m37177) HM
Years before 1859, two acres of land were donated for a school by Mr. and Mrs. Good. A two-story wooden structure was built. Among its first teachers were John Alexander, W. J. Peters, R. M. Humphries, and R. H. Pratt. Under Pratt’s leadership the . . . — — Map (db m37054) HM
Incorporated in 1859 though organized earlier and operated continuously through 1897. First trustees were William P. Thomas, Leroy T. McGuire, Ezekiel C. Smith, Simpson W. Hederick and Pulaski Wallace. This noted center of learning in Bibb County . . . — — Map (db m37053) HM
One and a half miles northeast of here, the mining town of Belle Ellen was established by the Bessemer Coal, Iron and Land Company in the fall of 1895 and named for Henry F. DeBardeleben's daughter, Belle, and wife, Ellen. DeBardeleben was a noted . . . — — Map (db m37226) HM
Centered around the coke ovens, Blocton, first called Gresham, was the Cahaba Coal Mining Company town founded by Truman H. Aldrich in 1883-84. Other company officers included W. A. Clark of Muscatine, Iowa, and Cornelius Cadle, Jr., . . . — — Map (db m37228) HM
The town of Piper was established in 1901 a half mile northeast of here by the Little Cahaba Coal Company, named for Oliver Hazzard Perry Piper, a partner of industrialist Henry F. DeBardeleben. Two coal mines . . . — — Map (db m83225) HM
West Blocton began as a business and residential community adjoining the Cahaba Coal Mining Company's town of Blocton in 1883-84. West Blocton incorporated in 1901. Eugene D. Reynolds was the first mayor, 1901-1904, followed by Dr. L.E. Peacock, . . . — — Map (db m72283) HM
Woodstock was first settled in the 1820’s with a formal land grant to William Houston on Feb. 27, 1826. The settlement was established along the old Tuscaloosa to Huntsville Stage Coach Line. Woodstock got its name when Dr. J.U. Ray named it after . . . — — Map (db m63697) HM
Nathan Bedford Forrest attacked Col. Streight’s column as it crossed Locust’s swift waters, causing the Federals to make tremendous exertions to complete the movement, contributing thereby to Streight’s eventual surrender of his entire command to . . . — — Map (db m28320) HM
1820-1889 seat of Blount County a county older than the State.
Named for Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount who sent Andrew Jackson to aid Alabama settlers in Creek Indian War, 1812-1814.
Indian Chief Bear Meat lived here at crossing of . . . — — Map (db m28038) HM
1813: Colonel John Coffee and 800 Tennessee Volunteers see Bear Meat Cabin Cherokee Settlement near Blountsville
1816: Town settles around square
1820: Newly named Blountsville becomes county seat
1827: Town incorporated with Trustee System . . . — — Map (db m49176) HM
First minister assigned to Alabama Territory by Tennessee Conference. Preached first sermon two blocks west at Bear Meat Cabin (present Blountsville) April 18, 1818. He later organized churches in Shelby, St. Clair, Jefferson, Tuscaloosa and Cotaco . . . — — Map (db m27991) HM
Three prowling Union soldiers invaded home of sister-in-law of Celia and Winnie Mae Murphree taking food, drink; killing two colts.
When soldiers fell asleep, these two young girls took rifles, marched soldiers to headquarters of General . . . — — Map (db m83226) HM
While traveling south with his troops, General Andrew Jackson camped at the fork of the river in 1813. General Jackson carved his name in a locust tree naming this area Locust Fork. In 1817, the Hanby family came from Virginia and settled in this . . . — — Map (db m50125) HM
Planter, trader, historian, geologist, surveyor. Gathered authentic data from early settlers and Indians for his history of Blount County published in 1855. Made original survey of Blount County. — — Map (db m50123) HM
William M. Bailey (born 1859 in Cherokee Co.; died 1909 in Blount Co.) settled 40 acres on what became Co. Rd 36 to the west and New Home Church Rd to the east in 1893. He brought three small sons from Cherokee Co. after the death of his first wife . . . — — Map (db m42599) HM
Created Feb. 7, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation. Named for the Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount, who sent militia under Andrew Jackson to punish the Creeks for Fort Mims massacre. Jackson fought and . . . — — Map (db m24353) HM
John Hanby came in 1817 and found a rich seam of brown iron ore. Named Champion in 1882 when Henry DeBardeleben and James Sloss bought land and brought L&N Railroad causing county seat to be moved from Blountsville to Oneonta in 1889. Most ore was . . . — — Map (db m28362) HM
Starting in 1889, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, also known as the Birmingham Mineral Railroad, began railroad freight and passenger
service to Oneonta with the completion of the rail line from Boyles Railroad Yard near Birmingham to the . . . — — Map (db m38894) HM
In 1864, traveling in an ox cart, Dr. Robert M. Moore left his family in Walton County, Georgia, and journeyed to Blount County, Alabama. Finding fertile land, he returned to Walton County and persuaded his wife to move to Blount County with him. In . . . — — Map (db m49251) HM
The town of Aberfoil was incorporated January 26, 1839, in then Macon County, with the first election for councilors conducted and managed by Lewis Stoudenmire, Charles G. Lynch, Thomas Scott, David Hudson, and A. J. and E. A. Jackson. Aberfoil was . . . — — Map (db m61027) HM
Samuel Sellers (1788-1857) of North Carolina arrived with his large family at Three Notch Road on January 29, 1835. Here, in what was then the Missouri Beat, Pike County, the first post office in the area was established, 2.5 miles west of . . . — — Map (db m61061) HM
Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — — Map (db m89638) HM
Lacking an established church nearby, pioneer families of the Fitzpatrick community into the mid-19th century took turns hosting worship services in their homes on Sunday mornings. "The Church of the Seven Sisters" was established in 1858 by seven . . . — — Map (db m67158) HM
Drill Ground of the Midway Guards 1860, later Company B 15th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Richmond. Second Company 1861 assigned to Company C 45th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Army of Tennessee. These and many later volunteers met the enemy in . . . — — Map (db m89636) HM
The Macedonia Baptist Church, located between the communities of Midway and Mt. Coney, was constructed by freedmen after the American Civil War, replacing the brush arbors used by the area’s antebellum slaves as sites for religious worship. Four . . . — — Map (db m60947) HM
Midway, a part of Barbour County in the mid-19th century, was also known as Five Points, a small community of a handful of dwellings, two stores, and a Methodist church of logs. In this Methodist church, Joel Willis, J.M. Thornton, Robert G. Hall, . . . — — Map (db m60908) HM
Margaret Elizabeth Merritt of Midway sold two acres for $5 to the state of Alabama in 1921 as a site for an elementary school for African-American children. Built in 1922 with matching Rosenwald funds, the Midway Colored Public School featured oak . . . — — Map (db m60910) HM
St. James Christian Methodist Episcopal Church founded by Reverend Jack McMillan, a former slave of Midway’s Daniel McMillan. Initially meeting outdoors under a brush arbor, ex-slaves and their children constructed a wood-frame church building soon . . . — — Map (db m60909) HM
Pioneer Samuel Feagin Sr. settled the Village of Midway in 1836. He came from Jones County, Georgia and established his residence at what is still called “The Old Feagin Place.” Samuel purchased a large acreage of land and sold it to . . . — — Map (db m61854) HM
This community, settled during the mid-1830s, was first called Fulford’s Cross Roads, then Missouri Cross Roads when a post office was established here in 1846. The name Perote, adopted in 1850 was suggested by veterans returning from the Mexican . . . — — Map (db m83256) HM
Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — — Map (db m89637) HM
The Bullock County Courthouse Historic District in Union Springs consists of 47 structures along three blocks of Prairie Street. Focal point of the district is the 1871 courthouse which is one of the finest post-bellum courthouses in the state and . . . — — Map (db m83257) HM
The Treaty of Fort Jackson of August 9, 1814, by Major General Andrew Jackson on behalf of the President of the United States of America and the Chiefs, Deputies and Warriors of the Creek Nation, established a boundary line between the Mississippi . . . — — Map (db m61025) HM
The Treaty of Fort Jackson of August 9, 1814, by Major General Andrew Jackson on behalf of the President of the United States of America and the Chiefs, Deputies and Warriors of the Creek Nation, established a boundary line between the Mississippi . . . — — Map (db m61026) HM
Log Cabin Museum
Early settlers of this area cleared land and built their first homes of logs in the early 1830s. This cabin was built by Reuben Rice Kirkland (1829-1915) about 1850. He and his first wife had ten children while living in . . . — — Map (db m60969) HM
Founded by settlers from Virginia, Georgia, and Carolinas. Building erected 1856. It was the central feature of the village of Mount Hilliard. Named in honor of Henry W. Hilliard -- who debated William L. Yancey in the 1850's. Revivals held at . . . — — Map (db m67553) HM
Settlers from the Edgefield District, South Carolina, organized the Sardis Baptist Church on June 10, 1837. The first building, a log cabin, was constructed in 1841 after John M. and his wife Amy Youngblood Dozier deeded four and . . . — — Map (db m67552) HM
Trinity Episcopal Church was established in Union Springs by Rev. DeBerniere Waddell in 1872 as a parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama with seventeen communicants and an annual budget of $412.50. Until 1879 services were held monthly in the . . . — — Map (db m60973) HM
In the early 1800s, settlers coming from the Carolinas and Georgia received land grants and some purchased land from the Indians. They settled and cleared the forest for new farms and plantations in what would become a newly formed State of Alabama . . . — — Map (db m83258) HM
The Butler Massacre
On March 20, 1818, Capt. William Butler, Capt. James Saffold, William Gardener, Daniel Shaw and John Hinson left Fort Bibb to meet Col. Sam Dale. They were attacked near Pine Barren Creek by Savannah . . . — — Map (db m83259) HM
In March 1863 Francis and Sarah Sheppard gave 3 acres of land to Methodist Episcopal Church South as a place for worship and burial. 2 more acres given by Alexander and Mary Sheppard Oct. 1868. Property sold to County Line Primitive Baptist Church . . . — — Map (db m70838) HM
City of Georgiana Founded in 1855
Early settlers moved from Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia into the deep forests of southern Butler County. In 1855, the Rev. Pitt S. Milner established a home-stead and post . . . — — Map (db m86265) HM
Hank Williams' Boyhood Home
Hiram Williams lived in Georgiana from age 7 to 11. In 1931, Mrs. Lillie Williams moved Hiram and his sister Irene from rural Wilcox County to this house owned by Thaddeus B. Rose. When he . . . — — Map (db m81276) HM
Created in 1819 by Act of Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation by the Treaty of Fort Jackson, 1814.
Named for Captain William Butler, soldier of Creek Indian War, 1813-14, early settler . . . — — Map (db m70755) HM
Killed in Action
Likely, James T. • 10-2-1967
Taylor, Clarence • 5-28-1969
Rutherford, Michael T. • 11-5-1969
Cooper, William Morris • 9-7-1968
Johnson, Johnny L. • . . . — — Map (db m70771) WM
2512 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2312