Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Waterways & Vessels Historical Markers

4964 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 4764
 
Autauga Creek Marker (reverse) image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, December 17, 2013
Autauga Creek Marker (reverse)
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Autauga Creek
Side 1 Water has always played a significant role in the history of Prattville. Daniel Pratt chose the location for his new town because of the proximity to Autauga Creek and the Alabama River. This area was referred to as an . . . — Map (db m70815) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Gulf Shores — "Damn The Torpedoes!" The Campaigns for Mobile, 1864 - 1865
(preface) "Damn the Torpedoes!" is a familiar battle cry, but there's more to the story! The Mobile Civil War Trail is your guide to military movements and the way of life on and around Mobile Bay in the closing two years of the Civil . . . — Map (db m87247) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Bay of the Holy Spirit
The earliest outline of a recognizable bay on the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico was shown on a 1507 map by German cartographer Martin Waldeseemuller–the same map to first apply the name "America" to the New World. Alonso Álvarez de . . . — Map (db m100841) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
From this Confederate Fort 15 heavy artillery guns, repelled elements of 2 Union Army Corps, routed 5 ironclad monitors attacking up the Blakely River and for 13 days helped prevent the capture of Mobile until after General Lee's Surrender at . . . — Map (db m100911) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The Final Assault
At dusk on April 8, 1865, 300 yards west of this site, the Union Army's 8th lowa Infantry and three Illinois Regiments breached the Confederate main line of resistance. Under the cover of night, troops holding the thin gray line spiked their guns . . . — Map (db m100855) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Blue Springs — Pea River Electric Membership Corporation
The Pea River Electric Membership Corporation was energized on this site on June 8, 1939. This rural electric cooperative was organized under an executive order signed by President F. D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935. Rural members of Barbour, Dale . . . — Map (db m71804) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The City of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The Second Creek war resulted in the final expulsion of the Creeks from eastern Alabama and paved the way for large-scale American settlement. The town of Irwinton gradually expanded westward from the bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee in the years . . . — Map (db m101361) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — West Point Manufacturing Company
Cornerstones of Chattahoochee Mfg. Co., Langdale, Ala., and Alabama & Georgia Mfg. Co., River View, Ala., were laid on August 1, 1866. Mills used Chattahoochee River water power for operation of spindles and looms. Planters and businessmen of . . . — Map (db m71637) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Verbena — Mitchell Dam
Named by the Board of Directors of Alabama Power Company to honor James Mitchell President 1912-1920 Major modifications to this project were completed in 1985. Three new generating units with a total capacity of 150,000 . . . — Map (db m72486) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Gainestown — Gainestown
Founded in 1809 by George Strother Gaines as Choctaw-Creek Indian Trading Post on Alabama River, now Gainestown Landing. Here lived Alabama Indians for whom State & River named. At Battle of Maubila De Soto's hogs escaped, from whence . . . — Map (db m101609) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Gainestown — The Canoe Fight
Side 1 On November 12, 1813, the Canoe Fight, one of the key assaults of the Creek War, took place nearby at the mouth of Randon’s Creek where it flows into the Alabama River. Following the Fort Mims Massacre in August, small bands of . . . — Map (db m101574) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — Clay County and the Creek Indian War of 1813-14 / Clay County and the Creek Indian Confederacy
Side 1 Clay County and the Creek Indian War of 1813-14 During the Creek Indian War of 1813-14, a subset of the War of 1812 with England, numerous figures prominent in American history marched over what would become Clay . . . — Map (db m95100) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Chickasaw HospitalityNatchez Trace Parkway
George Colbert's stand sat atop the ridge before you. As one of many inns that dotted the Trace between Nashville and Natchez, it provided travelers with food and lodging. With a Scottish father and Chickasaw mother, George Colbert used his . . . — Map (db m107260) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Colbert Ferry
This scene would have occurred far below the surface of the lake you see now. From 1802 to 1819, George Colbert operated a ferry across the quarter-mile breadth of the powerful Tennessee River. The ferry carried mail, militia, settlers, Indians and . . . — Map (db m84705) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Colbert's Stand
George Colbert operated a ferry across the Tennessee River from 1800 to 1819. His stand or inn offered travelers a warm meal and shelter during their journey on the Old Trace. Colbert looked after his own well-being and once charged Andrew Jackson . . . — Map (db m69630) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Safe CrossingNatchez Trace Parkway
In the early 1800s, ferries like the one George Colbert ran near here on the Tennessee River linked segments of the Natchez Trace. Ferries carried people across the river—for a fee. Post riders, Kaintucks, military troops, casual travelers, . . . — Map (db m107258) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — Building a New Future
In the early 1930s, which Wilson Dam serving as the starting point for the newly formed TVA and its river development plan, an era of new prosperity in the region began. TVA embarked on one of the largest U.S. hydropower construction programs . . . — Map (db m106193) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — Natural and Cultural Preservation/Protecting Resources
Natural and Cultural Preservation TVA is fully committed to protecting our natural and cultural resources. And nowhere is that more evident than right here at Wilson Dam. Here, the 25-acre Old First quarters Small Wild Area showcases the . . . — Map (db m106189)
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — TVA: A History of Progress and Innovation / A Valley of Hardships
The Tennessee Valley Authority is much more than just “a power company.” TVA has been proving this for more than 80 years by powering the region’s progress and managing the natural resources in its care for the greatest public good. . . . — Map (db m106190) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — Wilson Dam
During the 19th Century, Muscle Shoals, the shallow but often-flooded rapids of this section of the Tennessee River, impeded navigation, steamboat traffic and agriculture, so the federal government explored the possibility of opening the channel to . . . — Map (db m105705) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — Wilson Dam: Cornerstone of the TVA System
Wilson Dam is the longest-operating hydroelectric facility in the TVA System and certainly one of the most significant. Built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, primarily to supply power for nitrate production during World War I, Wilson Dam became . . . — Map (db m106188) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Florala — Lake Jackson
Andrew Jackson in Seminole War with an army of 1200 camped here in May 1818 enroute westward from Fort Gadsden to subdue marauding Indians abetted by Spaniards at Pensacola. Jackson determined to seize Pensacola . . . — Map (db m99237) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — What happens to my wastewater?
There are two main ways wastewater is treated. In rural areas septic tanks are common, in more populated areas homes are connected to wastewater treatment plants.

A Septic Tank is a concrete or steel tank buried near a home. Raw sewage . . . — Map (db m106106) HM

Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — What’s the Big Deal about Litter?!
Litter or trash thrown on our roadside or illegally dumped often ends up in a steam or creek. This threatens the critters that live there and it can threaten humans too!

Thankfully, litter is an easy problem to fix - If everyone does their . . . — Map (db m106102) HM

Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Redoubt No. 24Selma Fortifications 1863-1865 — Battle of Selma
Side 1 At prominent positions, earthen forts were built with artillery in position to cover the ground over which an assault would have to be made. Redoubt No. 24 anchored the City's defenses at the junction of Valley Creek & the . . . — Map (db m83581) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Pollard — Pollard Methodist Church
A pre Civil War structure, this is the oldest church building remaining in Escambia County, Alabama. Confederate veterans related stories that mules and horses were sheltered inside during harsh winter months. Circuit riders served the church in the . . . — Map (db m84388) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Gayle - Tunstall House
Built in 1828-29 by John Gayle, sixth governor of Alabama. Birthplace of Amelia Gayle Gorgas, wife of Gen. Josiah Gorgas, Chief of Ordnance, CSA, mother of Wm. Crawford Gorgas, US Surgeon General who freed Canal Zone of yellow fever. . . . — Map (db m83754) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Shorterville — Chattahoochee River Crossing
First settler crossings were made here prior to 1817 on a log ferry operated by Robert Irwin. First bridge built by Prescott and Bemis and destroyed by flood of 1855. Second wooden covered bridge was completed in 1869 by ex-slave Horace King. Third . . . — Map (db m71843) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Columbia — Columbia, Alabama
Founded in 1820, Columbia was originally located about a mile south, near where the Omussee Creek flows into the Chattahoochee River. It served as the county seat of Henry County from 1826 to 1833. Bordering the State of Georgia and the . . . — Map (db m73364) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — The Steamboat EraSize: 82 Feet Long by 24 Feet High — Painting completed January 2000 Artist Wes Hardin
There were few roads in the Wiregrass in 1800s - and the roads that were here were little more than twin rutted paths. The main transportation in the region was the steamboats on the Chattahoochee River on the east, and, to a lesser degree, the . . . — Map (db m83786) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Bessemer — Sweet Home / Henry W. Sweet
This house was built in 1906 by architect William E. Benns for H. W. Sweet at a cost of $10,000. The house uniquely blended the Queen Anne and Neo-Classical architectural styles, featuring two identical pedimented entrance porticos supported by . . . — Map (db m27024) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Julius Ellsberry
In dedication to Julius Ellsberry, the first Black Alabama man to die in World War II; born Birmingham, Ala, 1922. Enlisted in the U.S. Navy, 1940; First Class Mate [sic] Attendant aboard battleship Oklahoma in the Battle of Pearl . . . — Map (db m63761) HM WM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Osmond Kelly Ingram1887 - 1917
(Front):Osmond Kelly Ingram 1887-1917 First American sailor killed in action in World War 1, aboard U.S.S. "Cassin" October 1, 1917. Medal of Honor War Cross - Italy (Back):U.S. Destroyer DD-225 U.S.S. Osmond Ingram . . . — Map (db m63762) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Roebuck Spring
In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located . . . — Map (db m26688) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Rear Adm. John Murray HoodCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Commander of the Hawk, the fastest U.S. ship in the Spanish-American War, Rear Admiral John M. Hood then commanded the Fourth Division of the Atlantic Fleet in World War I. The USS John Hood (DD-655) was named for him. Inducted . . . — Map (db m99380) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — W.W. II Anchor
This anchor was used on the fleet Submarine U.S.S. Balao (SS-285). The Balao was commissioned in February 1943. She received 9 battle stars for sinking 7 Japanese ships during her W.W. II service. The Balao was decommissioned in June 1963. . . . — Map (db m69658) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wilson Dam
Construction of Wilson Dam began in 1918 and was completed in 1924. The Dam is 137 feet high and stretches 4,541 feet across the Tennessee River. Wilson Dam is a hydroelectric facility. It has 21 generating units with a net dependable capacity . . . — Map (db m73997) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Killen — Muscle Shoals Canal1836 - 1918
Lock Six, headquarters of Muscle Shoals Canal, was located 1.3 miles south of here. An 1836 attempt to build a bypass canal around the shoals proved unsuccessful. On November 10, 1890 the canal from Rogersville to Florence was successfully . . . — Map (db m28452) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Covington/Second Creek / Wheeler Dam/Lake
(side 1) Covington/Second Creek Goodsprings Church This site, one mile east of Elgin, has been referred to as “The Indian Mound.” There were white landowners here as early as 1833. Prior to 1936, there was a . . . — Map (db m79914) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Samuel Burney: 1763-1849 Revolutionary War Veteran / Burneys Creek/First Creek Wheeler Lake
(side 1) Samuel Burney: 1763-1849 Revolutionary War Veteran Samuel Burney, Sr., was born on January 30, 1763, in Guilford Co., NC. He was among 17 known Revolutionary War veterans to settle in the area that became Lauderdale . . . — Map (db m84299) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Waterloo — Mud Glorious Mud
Birds Come From All Directions to Enjoy the Tasty Treats Hidden Beneath the Mud In the late summer. fall, and winter, reservoir levels in the Tennessee River Valley drop drastically to expose areas of mudflats. although unsightly to some, theses . . . — Map (db m105713) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Chewacla State Park(CCC)
Side 1 Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to . . . — Map (db m85164) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Wright’s Mill
Side 1 A popular recreation area for more than 100 years. Original dam located a short distance below Chewacla Lake Dam. Mill located on the west bank and ground both corn and wheat. Earlier mill owners from 1840's were Echols, Hiram . . . — Map (db m85168) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Bean's Mill
Side 1 Here in 1897 the first iron bridge in Lee County was built. In 1903 George W. Bean bought the mill, operating it until his death in 1952. About 1910 Bean installed an iron overshot wheel to replace the old turbine. Later, the dam . . . — Map (db m73533) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Mooresville — Cottonport / Mooresville
Front The town of Cottonport flourished in the early years of Limestone County. It was settled in 1818 and chartered in 1824. It was located approx. 1½ miles S.E. near the point where Limestone Creek flowed into the Tennessee River and . . . — Map (db m85455) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Northern Terminus Indian Creek CanalFirst Canal in Alabama
Incorporated 1820 Completed 1831 This canal was constructed to the Tennessee River to facilitate the transportation of cotton to market. Developers were: Thomas Fearn, LeRoy Pope, Stephen S. Ewing, Henry Cook, and Samuel Hazard. — Map (db m27844) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Norwegian Light Beacon And Fog Bell
The light beacon and fog bell in Big Springs International Park were presented as a gift from Norway in 1973. The light beacon served as one of the guiding lights to the mariner from 1903 to 1966 being situated on the west coast of Norway at . . . — Map (db m85545) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Triana — Triana, Alabama
Originally called “The Prairie” by the Chickasaw Indians who settled here, Triana was incorporated November 13, 1819 as the second town in Madison County. The community purportedly was named after Rodrigo de Triana, the crewman who first . . . — Map (db m70237) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — Whitfield Canal
Drainage canal constructed between 1845 and 1863 by slaves of General Nathan Bryan Whitfield, builder of Gaineswood, to prevent water from overflowing and flooding his plantation. The water from 2,070 acres south and east of Gaineswood . . . — Map (db m37993) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Guntersville — History of Guntersville
(Side A) This area's proximity to the Tennessee River and Indian trails made it a crossroads for early habitation, settlement, and trade. Archaeological studies reveal it was first inhabited about 12,000 years ago by Paleo-Indians. They . . . — Map (db m33305) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Bayou La Batre — Bayou La Batre, Alabama
The stream near the site, known as Bayou la Batre, was known during the period of French occupation as "Riviere d'Erbane," then as "Rivere la batterie" because of the French artillery battery located on its banks. The town's name consists of bayou, . . . — Map (db m85905) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — 19th Century ShipwreckExposed by Hurricane Georges
The huge timbers you see are a ship's keel section, washed ashore in the fury of Hurricane Georges in the fall of 1998. A house was destroyed with it's impact. The remains formed the bottom ridge line of the ship and would have held the ribs of . . . — Map (db m87217) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Grand Bay — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1775, William Bartram, Colonial naturalist, visited Mobile and environs recording flora, fauna, land areas, and rivers. — Map (db m102188) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — "Take Her Down!"Howard Walter Gilmore, Commander, U.S.N. — Born 29 September 1902, Selma, Ala.
Panel 1: Medal of Honor Citation For distinguished gallantry and valor above and beyond The call of duty as Commanding Officer of U. S. submarine GROWLER (SS-215) during her fourth war patrol in the Southwest Pacific from 10 . . . — Map (db m74811) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Battle of Mobile Bay Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to US Navy, US Marine Corps, and Confederate States Navy personnel who lost their lives in the Battle of Mobile Bay, Civil War August 5, 1864 — Map (db m86446) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Crew of CSS H. L. Hunley Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the gallant crew of the CSS Horace L Hunley and their commander 1st Lt George E Dixon Co A 21st Ala Inf CSA who perished on the attack on the USS Housatonic Feb 17 1864 — Map (db m86251) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — CSS Alabama Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the officers and men of the CSS Alabama who perished during the attack of the USS Kearsarge on June 19, 1864 Yeo George Applebee • FN Christian Pust Stew A G Bartelli • Sea John Roberts Cox Henry . . . — Map (db m86441) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Gen. William C. Gorgas
On this site stood the Gov. John Gayle home, birthplace of William Crawford Gorgas, world famous sanitarian, Panama Canal Zone, 1902-14; Surgeon Gen. & Maj. General; conqueror of dread plagues of yellow fever and malaria. — Map (db m98590) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Home of Raphael Semmes
Rear Admiral, Confederate States Navy, Brigadier General, Confederate States Army, Commander of the Alabama, the greatest sea raider of all times. — — — — In this house, a gift of the people of Mobile, . . . — Map (db m86572) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — In Memory of the Battle of Mobile Bay
One of the fiercest and most decisive battles in naval history Commemorated on the centennial August 5 1964 — Map (db m86449) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — McGowin-LyonsOne St. Louis Centre — 1907-1986
Throughout the 19th and first half of the 20th century, large warehouses and commercial buildings lined Water and Commerce Streets to service the port of Mobile. One St. Louis Centre, known locally as the McGowin-Lyons Building, was the largest and . . . — Map (db m86354) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Memorial to USS Herring (SS-233) — Submarines and the Battleship Park
Panel 1: Anderson, Fred H., RT1 Anderson, John L., Jr., MoMM2 Armstrong, James E., RM1 Balestrieri, S., ENS Blair, Jack L., S2 Blevins, J.T., S1 Boucher, Leo J., S1 Brennan, James J., TM2 Bronder, John J., SC2 Brown, . . . — Map (db m74810) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Limits — 1711
When Mobile was laid out, this was the city's north-east boundary point. Royal Street ran along a bluff overlooking the Mobile River. There were no streets between Royal and the river, only marshland. — Map (db m86347) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile National Cemetery
National Cemetery Mobile National Cemetery was established in May 1866 on 3 acres of land in Magnolia Cemetery. The City of Mobile donated the land to the federal government. The Cemetery was divided into four sections with a central . . . — Map (db m86914) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Old Plateau CemeteryAfricatown Graveyard
The Old Plateau Cemetery, known as the Africatown Graveyard, is the final resting place of enslaved Africans, African-Americans, and a Buffalo Soldier. The burial ground dates back to 1876, sixteen years after Africans arrived on the Clotilda . . . — Map (db m86308) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Old Slave Markets
On This Site Stood One Of The Old Slave Markets Last cargo of slaves arrived on the Schooner Clotilde in August of 1859. — Map (db m86311) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Hunley
The first submarine successfully used in warfare was completed at this site in 1863. Designed by James McClintock and Baxter Watson, and financed by Horace L. Hunley, it was built by W. A. Alexander at the Mobile machine shop of Park and Lyons. . . . — Map (db m86244) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Submarine Lookout Memorial — Submarines and the Battleship Park
Panel 1: "The Lookout: the Eyes of the WWII Submarine" Panel 2: "Submarine Lookout": Standing his watch on a perch high above the deck, the lookout was the eyes of the submarine while surfaced. Often while submerged he was . . . — Map (db m74809) HM WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — United States Ship Alabama (BB-60) — Battleship Memorial Park
Named for the State of Alabama. 6th naval fighting ship to bear the name. Built by the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia. Authorized by Congress 27 March 1934. Keel laid 1 February 1940 – Launched 16 February 1942. Sponsored by . . . — Map (db m74366) HM WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Wallace Turnage
In 1864, Wallace Turnage, a seventeen year old slave was owned by a merchant, Collier Minge, whose house stood on this site. Turnage escaped wartime Mobile by walking 25 miles down the western shore of Mobile Bay. After surviving three weeks in the . . . — Map (db m86374) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Goodway — Old Federal Road
John Poebles had an established toll bridge over Little Escambia Creek in the early 1800’s. A dispute over the bridge arose between Poebles and John Hollinger. As a result Hollinger built a toll free bridge adjacent to Poebles’ toll bridge. — Map (db m84378) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Award of Air Force Cross to Jon D. Harston
Citation to Accompany the Award of The Air Force Cross to Jon D. Harston Staff Sergeant Jon D. Harston distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in military operations against an opposing armed force . . . — Map (db m95475) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama River: The Grand Avenue
Twelve miles above Montgomery the Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers unite to form the Alabama which meanders over four hundred miles on its way to Mobile Bay. This river has played major role in region's history, being a thoroughfare for Native Americans, . . . — Map (db m26591) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — High Red Bluff(Chunnanugga Chatty in Creek Indian Language)
Also called Hostile Bluff or Thirteen Mile Bluff, this spot located in a deep bend of the Alabama River was once the key to the Southeast and a strategic point in Colonial days. The first steamboat, the Harriet, arrived at this point in 1821, and . . . — Map (db m86120) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery and Electricity / Hydroelectricity in the River Region
Side 1 Montgomery and Electricity Gaslights in 1854, electric lights in 1883 and the electric trolley in 1886 made Montgomery a state leader in applying modern technology for lighting and motive power. Steam was used first for . . . — Map (db m71367) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Naval Heroes of the War of 1812Dexter Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
Side 1 The six streets which cross Dexter Avenue between Court Square and the State Capitol are named for Oliver Hazard Perry, James Lawrence, Thomas Macdonough, Issac Hull, Stephen Decatur and William Bainbridge, all naval officers of . . . — Map (db m99545) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Ray W. Scott Jr. Founded Bass Anglers Movement
Montgomery native Ray W. Scott Jr. launched the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society (B.A.S.S.) in 1967 from a small office upstairs at 513 Madison Avenue. From this beginning, B.A.S.S. became the largest sportfishing organization in the world. Scott . . . — Map (db m98551) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Domestic Slave Trade/Slave Transportation to Montgomery
Side 1 The Domestic Slave Trade Beginning in the seventeenth century, millions of African people were kidnapped, sold into slavery, and shipped to the Americas as part of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. In 1808, the United States . . . — Map (db m86427) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Ingalls Shipyard
Ingalls Iron Works was established in 1910, by Robert Ingalls, in Titusville Alabama. It became the largest steel company in the region. Looking for new opportunities for the steel his company fabricated, Ingalls opened Ingalls Shipyard in 1937 to . . . — Map (db m86507)
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell and Creek Removal — Creek Heritage Trail
Fort Mitcheli served as a primary point of concentration for creeks being sent westward to Indian Territory before, during, and after the Second Creek War (1836-1837). By the terms of the 1832 Treaty of Washington, Creek heads of household and . . . — Map (db m101840) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Holy Trinity — Spanish Fort, 1689-1691
East of here, on the Chattahoochee River, was the "fort among the Apalachicolas," most northern of the Spanish settlements in eastern North America. A palisaded "strong house" built by Captain Enrique Primo de Rivera to check activities of English . . . — Map (db m101252) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Ancient Fisheries
To the native people of the Chattahoochee River Valley, the Creek or Muskogulgi Indians, the shoals of the river were a source of recreation and food. In the spring, the women and children of Coweta Town came here to fish, using dip nets, spears, . . . — Map (db m69045) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — The Creek Town of Coweta — Creek Heritage Trail
The town of Coweta was actually two separate Native American settlements and dozens of affiliated outlying communities occupied at different times in what is now northeastern Russell County. "Coweta Tallahassee" (old Coweta), regarded by most . . . — Map (db m101328) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — The Tie-Snake
The Creek Indians believed this section of the river was inhabited by a giant Tie-Snake, a mythical monster that snared the unwary and dragged them down into the watery underworld. The Tie-Snake was but one of many strange creatures and natural . . . — Map (db m69067) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Helena — Central Iron Works
Side 1 During the final years of the Civil War, Montgomery merchants, Hannon, Offutt & Company, built a rolling mill here along the banks of Buck Creek. Called the Central Iron Works, the plant’s construction was superintended by Thomas . . . — Map (db m76241) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Sumter County's Covered Bridge
1860 Captain W. A. C. Jones of Livingston designed and built the bridge of hand-hewn yellow pine put together with large pegs, clear span 88 feet, overhead clearance 14 feet, and inside width 17 feet, across the Sucarnoochee River on old State . . . — Map (db m92661) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Lincoln — Lincoln, Alabama
(Side A) Historical records indicate that DeSoto and his men, as they traveled the South in search of gold, were the first white men to see the Lincoln area. With the ceding of the Creek Indian Territory in 1837, the population of the . . . — Map (db m33282) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — USS Talladega (APA-208)Talladega County — "The Tremblin' T"
Seven Battle Stars * * * * * * * World War II * Iwo Jima Operation * Okinawa Gunto Operation First of the 31 ship convoy with occupation troops to dock at Yokohama on VJ Day, September 2, 1945 Korean War * 3rd Korean . . . — Map (db m12212) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Burns’ Shoals
The remains of Burns' Shoals now lie nearly 40 feet underwater. This rock outcropping was the first of the shoals known as the "Falls of Tuscaloosa" and represents the "Fall Line" or contact point of the Coastal Plain and the Appalachian Plateau, . . . — Map (db m28904) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gabriel MooreGovernor 1829 - 1831
During his term our state moved from frontier to urbanity. The University of Alabama was officially opened. Construction was begun on our first canals and railroads, supplementing existing steamboats and unpaved roads. The Choctaws exchanged their . . . — Map (db m29023) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gorgas House
Built 1829 as University dining hall. Remodeled as a residence 1840. Occupied by Gorgas family 1879-1953 (Reverse): Preserved as a memorial to: General Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883) Chief of Ordnance, C. S. A. 1861-1865 . . . — Map (db m29301) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gun from the U.S.S. Tuscaloosa
5 inch / 25 caliber “Dual Purpose” secondary artillery gun The U.S.S. Tuscaloosa was equipped with eight such guns, located in single turrets, four on either side of the ship. Developed in the 1920’s, its purpose was for both . . . — Map (db m35507) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Navigation and Shipbuilding On The Black Warrior River
Navigation improvements to the Black Warrior River (1888-1895) spurred marine commerce throughout the 20th century. Local ship-builders included the Perkins Brothers, Herman & Son, Corp of Engineers Boatyard, and Baker Towboat. Vessel types included . . . — Map (db m28924) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Black Warrior River
Plied for thousands of years by Indians, then by early explorers and American settlers, this river extends 169 miles from the Sipsey and Mulberry Forks near Birmingham to its confluence with the Tombigbee at Demopolis. It drains 6228 square miles of . . . — Map (db m28901) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway
From 1887-1915, seventeen locks and dams were constructed on the Warrior - Tombigbee Rivers. The first 3 were built on the fall line in Tuscaloosa. This was the site of No. 3, later No. 12. The Warrior - Tombigbee Development Association, founded . . . — Map (db m28786) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — U.S.S. Tuscaloosa (CA 37)
Built: New York Shipbuilding Co. - Camden, NJ Commissioned August 17, 1934 Type: New Orleans Class Heavy Cruiser Displacement: 9,975 ton Propulsion: 107,000 HP Stream Turbines Speed: 32.7 knots Length: 588 feet Crew size: 708 . . . — Map (db m35511) HM
Alaska (Anchorage Borough), Anchorage — Atlantic Salmon-A Threat to the Chugach National Forest?
Commercial farming of Atlantic salmon using ocean net pens is important to the economy in several areas of the Pacific Northwest, especially along the coast of British Columbia. However, net pen fish farming has been banned in Alaska since 1990 . . . — Map (db m70735) HM
Alaska (Anchorage Borough), Anchorage — Captain James CookR.N., F.R.S. — Navigator, Explorer, Chartmaker, Scientist, Humanist / 1728 – 1779
James Cook was born in Yorkshire, England, on October 27, 1728. He was apprenticed to serve on sailing ships built in Whitby, near his birthplace, to carry coal along the English coast. At age 26, he joined the Royal Navy, took part in actions . . . — Map (db m72493) HM
Alaska (Anchorage Borough), Anchorage — Coho Salmon Life Cycle
1 to 4 years in fresh water Most coho migrate to sea after one or two years in fresh water. Sept 1-Nov 15 The adult cohos are the last of the Pacific salmon to arrive in the river to spawn. Nov 15-April 1 The eggs incubate over the winter. . . . — Map (db m70734) HM
Alaska (Juneau Borough), Juneau — Manila Square
Panel 1: The City and Borough of Juneau Assembly Honors the Contributions of Filipinos in Juneau by naming this downtown location MANILA SQUARE Juneau Assembly Members: Dale Anderson - Don Etheridge, Jr. - Jeannie Johnson - Ken . . . — Map (db m68849) HM
Alaska (Juneau Borough), Juneau — Patsy Ann: her statue
Fifty years after Patsy Ann met her last ship, admirers led by June Dawson organized the Friends of Patsy Ann. The group raised funds and commissioned a statue so Patsy Ann could once again greet visitors on the dock. Sculpted by Ann Burke . . . — Map (db m69663) HM
Alaska (Juneau Borough), Juneau — USS Juneau (CL-52) Memorial'Lest We Forget'
Center Marker Panel: [Rendering of the cruiser USS Juneau(CL-52)] 'Lest We Forget' The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal was as ferocious and decisive as any battle of World War II. It was not won cheaply. The night action of Friday . . . — Map (db m77160) WM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Apache Spring
Pottery fragments found around Apache Spring suggest it was used by prehistoric Mogollon Indians before the Apache arrived. Journals of early Spanish explorers described Apache trails radiating from the spring. The Butterfield Trail was constructed . . . — Map (db m100823) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Charles H. Spencer “Paddlewheel” Steamboat
Spencer Paddlewheel Steamboat 1912 — Map (db m94910)
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Lee Ferry
From 1872 to 1929 principal route of travel across the Colorado River to Utah Settlements First crossing made at the mouth of Paria Creek in 1864 by Jacob Hamblin. Regular ferry established by John Doyle Lee in 1872. Purchased by . . . — Map (db m41998) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Lees Ferry
Because of long, deep canyons, Lees Ferry was the best crossing point along 500 miles (800 km) of the Colorado River. In 1873, Mormon Church members opened a wagon road from Kanab, Utah, and built a ferryboat here. John D. Lee was the first . . . — Map (db m41999) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — 350 — Lee's Ferry
John D. Lee settled here in Dec. 1872 and established ferry service thirteen months later. After her husband's death, Warren M. Johnson ran the oar-driven ferry for Emma Lee, 1875 to 1879, when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . . . — Map (db m41997) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Lee's Ferry
Northern gateway to Arizona for 54 years - from 1873 to 1927 - is located six miles upstream from this bridge. This monument erected to the founder John Doyle Lee who, with superhuman effort and in the face of almost insurmountable . . . — Map (db m94892) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Colorado River Storage Project / Glen Canyon DamReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Colorado River Storage Project In recognition of the vision of the Colorado River Storage Project Act of 1956 and the significant contributions the act has made to the development of the Upper Colorado River Basin states, this plaque . . . — Map (db m40350) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Concrete Bucket / Concrete Core SampleReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Concrete Bucket This is one of several concrete buckets that poured the concrete in Glen Canyon Dam. Each bucket held 24 tons (22 metric tons) of concrete and it took over 400,000 buckets to complete the dam. The first pour of concrete . . . — Map (db m40342) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Emma Dean
A slightly larger, but reasonable replica of the 16 ft. pine rowboat in which Major John Wesley Powell first explored the canyons of the Colorado River in 1869. This craft was constructed by Walt Disney Productions and used in the river running . . . — Map (db m40323) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Glen Canyon DamColorado River Storage Project
Dedicated by the First Lady Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson September 22, 1966 United States Department of the Interior Stewart L. Udall, Secretary Bureau of Reclamation Floyd E. Dominy, Commissioner [The following marker is inside the . . . — Map (db m40370) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Hydroelectric Power - A Green and Renewable Energy SourceReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Glen Canyon Dam and other dams along the Colorado River provide critical water and power resources for millions of Americans in the Southwest. Recreation at the reservoirs is enjoyed by visitors from around the world. Turbine Runner This . . . — Map (db m40344) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Intake StructuresReclamation: Managing Water in the West
The eight small "buildings" on the upstream face of the dam contain equipment to operate the penstock gates. Each penstock is 15 feet (4.6 meters) in diameter and carries water to one of the turbine generators in the powerplant. — Map (db m40349) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Rock Bolts / High ScalingReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Rock Bolts Since Navajo sandstone tends to fracture vertically, rock bolts lock rock slabs together, thereby minimizing rock falls into the canyon. These bolts extend from 45 to 75 feet (14-23 meters) into the canyon wall. They are assembled . . . — Map (db m40346) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Turbine Runner
This stainless steel turbine runner was removed in 1989 from the Bureau of Reclamation's Crystal Dam Powerplant in Montrose, Colorado. Weighing about 8½ metric tons, it is the rotating part of a Francis-type reaction turbine (named after its . . . — Map (db m40371) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — A Ribbon of Life
Perhaps people living here 800 years ago called this place Wupatupqa ("long canyon"), as it is known to some of their descendants, the Hopi. It was no doubt known as a place of abundance, given its wealth of plant and animal life and the . . . — Map (db m61305) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — The Quest for Water
During the spring thaw, snowmelt rumbled through the narrow passage below you. Water flowed again during the summer monsoon. Shaded pools held precious water after the flow ebbed. Walnut Creek was the lifeblood of the community. Still, people . . . — Map (db m61356) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Roosevelt — Salt River Before the Dam
The Salt River begins high in the White Mountains as runoff from melting snow, finding its way into streams and creeks that eventually form the White and Black rivers. The confluence of the two rivers marks the beginning of the Salt. Early . . . — Map (db m34110) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Roosevelt — Tonto BasinRoosevelt Lake's Watershed
Over six million years ago, the mountains surrounding you were lifted skyward. As they rose, the land in between sank, creating the valley known as Tonto Basin. Melting snow and summer rains drain from the vast Salt River watershed toward the . . . — Map (db m34111) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Arlington — Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge
Main Marker - Side A: The Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge spans the Gila River on Old US 80 Highway, between the communities of Arlington and Gila Bend. Built in 1927 as a Federal Aid Project, the bridge is a unique and elegant reminder of . . . — Map (db m54936) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Irrigation — at Sahuaro Ranch...
The water for Sahuaro Ranch came by gravity flow from the Arizona Canal, located about two miles to the north. It was carried from the canal by a ditch on 59th Avenue known as Lateral 18 and then flowed onto the ranch through smaller ditches such . . . — Map (db m40706) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - In Memory of the Gallant MenWho Gave Their Lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona — During the Attack on Pearl Harbor
In memory of the gallant men who gave their lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor Dedicated December 7, 1976 The Honorable Raul H. Castro, Governor of Arizona The contributions . . . — Map (db m26425) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Site of Hayden's Ferry1200 Feet Northeast of This Marker
Established in 1871, when the Salt River was a flowing stream and a barrier to travel the ferry was held on course by a wire cable taut across the river. It was an important link in settling the southwest. Built and operated by Charles . . . — Map (db m27584) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Bullhead City — Commercial Steamship Transportation and Bullhead Community Park
Commercial steamship transportation on the Colorado River was of great importance from 1852 through 1877. It served the mining communities of Northern Arizona. Cargo was unloaded at Hardyville, 1 ½ miles south of this point, sometimes returning . . . — Map (db m29338) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — Sunset Crossing
This crossing, first noted early in the 1850s in journals and maps of explorers along the 35th parallel, is the only convergence of major travel routes on the Little Colorado River. It lies on the trail used by Mormon immigrants journeying from Utah . . . — Map (db m32722) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — The Winslow Bridge
This date medallion is from the Winslow Bridge that once spanned the Little Colorado River on historic Route 66 just east of Winslow. Because the river had always proved a daunting impediment to travelers, this bridge crossing became a strategic . . . — Map (db m32781) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — U.S.S. Arizona 1916 - Wilber L. "Bill" Bower U of A Outstanding Achievement Awards
The bell in this clock tower is one of the two original ship's bells salvaged from the battleship U.S.S. Arizona following the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. In 1944, Wilber L. "Bill" Bowers, UA Class of 1927, discovered the bell . . . — Map (db m31199) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — Lifeline / Prehistoric Produce
Lifeline Beaver Creek has always been a major focus of life in the Verde Valley. Prehistoric Sinagua farmers constructed Montezuma Castle and other structures near the creek. They dug ditches to carry creek water to irrigate the fields of . . . — Map (db m40868) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Granite Creek
American History in Arizona is quite recent, although the history of the Native American, Spanish and Mexican occupation periods are much older. Encampments of Native Americans were drawn to the creeks, which offered a fairly reliable source of . . . — Map (db m33064) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Yuma Crossing
From 1850 to 1877 all travelers crossing the Colorado River used the ferry. Several operated between the mouth of the Gila River and Pilot Knob. Steamboats arrived on the river in 1850 and the first railroad bridge was built in 1877. — Map (db m29015) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — The Post of Arkansas
Here on the Grand Prairie you tread on soil laid down over the centuries as the mighty Mississippi and Arkansas Rivers brought down their precious cargoes of silt from the northern uplands. The footprints of many were pressed into this . . . — Map (db m108486) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — On they come like an irresistible thunder bolt William Heartsill, sergeant, 2nd Texas Cavalry
The Confederate scouts were alarmed. Looking down river to your right, one exclaimed, "One could hardly see anything in the background but smokestacks." Union soldiers disembarked from their transports. All night, knee deep in mud, they . . . — Map (db m108509) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Our ironclads and gunboats knocked the fort to piecesDavid D. Porter, rear admiral
You wouldn't have got us had it not been for your damned gunboats. John Dunnington, colonel, chief of ordnance Fort Hindman's cannon fired at the nine gunboats bearing down on them. Confederate gunners had . . . — Map (db m108072) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — American Townsite1805 — 1840Frontier Settlement and Territorial Capitol
In the early 1800's the land in front of you was an important center of trade and government on the edge of the Arkansas River wilderness. Here were the homes, stores, taverns, mills, docks, and busy streets of the Post of Arkansas. This . . . — Map (db m108428) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Edge of Empires
The succession of outposts here, remote from centers of New World empire, symbolized a dream of the imperial age: to connect the Gulf of Mexico to North America's vast interior by the great rivers that drained it. Following British . . . — Map (db m108485) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — First Post of Arkansas1686 — 1700The French Settlement of Henri de Tonti
Spanish Explorer Hernan de Soto passed this way in 1542. Nearly 130 years later Father Marquette, the French missionary and explorer, reached the nearby mouth of the Arkansas. In 1682 Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle, claimed this territory for . . . — Map (db m108407) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — The Colbert RaidApril 17, 1783Arkansas Post in the American Revolution
During the American Revolution, Arkansas Post belonged to the Spanish, allies of the American patriots. In 1783, British partisans led by James Colbert raided the Spanish village and fort here. It was one of the last engagements of the . . . — Map (db m108483) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Where is Fort Hindman?
Standing here in January 1863, you would have seen Confederate Fort Hindman. In what is now the water, the fort stood atop a 25-foot high bluff The fort's cannon could fire a mile up or down the river to protect the breadbasket of Arkansas. The . . . — Map (db m108511) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Crocketts Bluff — Captain Alf Johnson's Spy Company
On this site from September 1862 to January 1863 was the encampment of a celebrated Texas cavalry company. Captain Alf Johnson's Spy company was active in conducting reconnaissance and small unit actions near Helena while maintaining vigilance on . . . — Map (db m107804) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Crocketts Bluff — Crocketts Bluff
Named for Captain Robert Crockett, grandson of the famous David (Davey) Crockett, this community was a flourishing river port during the second half of the 19th century. The Crockett Rifles (Company H, 1st Arkansas Infantry), first Confederate . . . — Map (db m107807) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Gillett — 10 — Battle of Arkansas Post
On January 9, 1863, Gen. John McClernand and Adm. David D. Porter led a 30,000 man army and a flotilla of Union gunboats up the Arkansas River to confront Gen. T.J. Churchill's 5,000 Confederates at Arkansas Post. The gunboats bombarded Fort Hindman . . . — Map (db m107701) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), St. Charles — Engagement at St. Charles
Here on June 17, 1862 a Federal fleet of eight vessels attempted to force its way upstream past Confederate shore defenses commanded by Captain Joseph Fry. The Confederates disabled the Union gunboat Mound City with heavy casualties before . . . — Map (db m107918) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), St. Charles — St. Charles Battle Monument
[Northeast face] Officers and men killed on the U.S.S. Mound City {List of 124 dead} [Northwest face] Near this spot, on June 17, 1862, a decisive engagement was fought between the Conf- ederates entrenched and the . . . — Map (db m108071) WM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Lewis & Clark Expedition

The Lewis & Clark Expedition was accomplished by Captain Meriwether Lewis, Captain William Clark, and their fellow explorers, and was the visionary journey of President Thomas Jefferson. The journey was to become one of America’s greatest . . . — Map (db m91477) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Mud Street to Main StreetNorth Main

"It being the first street in town... it was named Main Street. But owing to its low elevation and the law of gravitation, the water would find a level in the street, and as the immense travel created an abundance of mud, the street was . . . — Map (db m80153) HM

Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — 79 — Lakeport in the Civil War
Side 1 When Arkansas went to war in 1861, Lycurgus and Lydia Johnson and their family stayed with their home at Lakeport. By 1862, U.S. gunboats were common on the Mississippi River, and on Sept. 6, 1862, Confederate troops burned 158 . . . — Map (db m89797) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — The Battle at Ditch Bayou
It is the morning of June 6, 1864. Rain has created a muddy mess. To your left are four cannon. To your right are 600 cavalrymen and two more cannon. These men served under Confederate Colonel Colten Greene. To your front is Ditch Bayou, and 700 . . . — Map (db m90432) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — The Casualties at Ditch Bayou June 6, 1864
The battle at Ditch Bayou was a Federal effort to drive Confederates away from the Mississippi River, where the Confederates had been harassing Union shipping. Even though the Confederates were outnumbered here, they were able to inflict heavy . . . — Map (db m90418) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Log Town Hill
The residents of Log Town were witness to the retreat of the Rebel army through Van Buren and onward through their settlement. High on Log Town Hill the community watched as masses of Southern soldiers crowded the hill trying desperately to reach . . . — Map (db m96614) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — The Butterfield Stage Route
The Butterfield stage route between Saint Louis and San Francisco passed through the main street of Van Buren, Arkansas and crossed the river at this point. — Map (db m96457) HM
Arkansas (Desha County), Dumas — Arkansas Indians
The Arkansas Indians (the down stream people), a branch of the Quapaw tribe, lived in Desha County. Their presence was first recorded by Marquette and Joliet, French explorers, in 1673. They were known as les Beaux Hommes. La Salle while . . . — Map (db m107809) HM
Arkansas (Desha County), Kelso — Old Town of Napoleon
This important river port, county seat of Desha County from 1838 to 1874, was located 24 miles east at the junction of the Arkansas River with the Mississippi. The town was finally abandoned after most of it washed into the Mississippi River. — Map (db m107758) HM
Arkansas (Desha County), Kelso — 64 — Skirmish at Amos Bayou
In mid-February 1863, Confederate troops at Cypress Bend fired on Union transports on the Mississippi River. On Feb. 19, a force of Union cavalry and mule-mounted infantry set out in pursuit. The Union troops drove off enemy pickets before . . . — Map (db m107693) HM
Arkansas (Desha County), Watson — Desha County Seat — 1874 - 1880
Watson became the county seat of Desha County after Napoleon was abandoned to the Mississippi River. Lewis W. Watson donated the land and built the courthouse near this site. The county seat was moved to Arkansas City in 1880. Watson remained the . . . — Map (db m107757) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 450th Commemoration De Soto Expedition1541 – 1991
. . . — Map (db m96641) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Lt. Joseph W. Harris, U.S.A.
Joseph W. Harris of New Hampshire, received appointment to the Military Academy at West Point at the age of 17 and graduated in 1825. He was assigned to accompany a group of 750 Cherokees aboard the steamboat Yeatman. They were forced to land at . . . — Map (db m97914) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — Red River CampaignBattle of Jenkins' Ferry
Tablet #1 Jenkins' Ferry State Park Act 10 of 1961 authorized this 37-acre state park as a commemorative site and recreation area. The park includes the ferry site where you are standing. The ferry was operated by the Jenkins' family . . . — Map (db m37304) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — 103 — Clarksville in the Civil War / Depredations
Side 1 Clarksville in the Civil War Clarksville was a key point in the defense of the Arkansas River Valley during the Civil War. Confederate troops occupied the town several times before Union forces took Little Rock . . . — Map (db m96447) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — C-23 — Johnson County First Anthracite Coal
The first anthracite coal was mined near here on the land of E.B. Alston by a Mr. Walker in 1840. Sample of coal were taken to Little Rock and examined by William E. Woodruff, who pronounced it superior to that found in Pennsylvania. Mr. Walker went . . . — Map (db m96638) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mark Twain's Plum Point Landing & Overlook
Mark Twain referred to Osceola as "the famous and formidable Plum Point" in his book, Life on the Mississippi, as well as other writings. First established in 1837 as Plum Point, Osceola was incorporated in 1853. From this vantage point, one could . . . — Map (db m36301) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mississippi River Levee
Floods of 1927 and 1937 overwhelmed eastern Arkansas, destroying cotton crops and countless homes. To prevent future loss of life and economic devastation, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the St. Francis Levee District built an extensive levee . . . — Map (db m36330) HM
Arkansas (Ouachita County), Camden — Camden Water BattleCivil War — 1864
In the fall of 1864, much of the Confederate infantry in Arkansas was ordered to move to Camden to protect the approaches to Texas during General Sterling Price’s absences in being transferred to the Missouri Campaign.

In September 1864, . . . — Map (db m106889) HM WM

Arkansas (Phillips County), Barton — 84 — Lick Creek Skirmish
After the Jan. 11, 1863, battle at Arkansas Post, Gen. Willis Gorman led troops from Helena on a raid up the White River. Col. Powell Clayton and 1,200 cavalrymen went to Big Creek west of Helena when a patrol of 25 men of the 2nd Wisconsin Cavalry . . . — Map (db m107709) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — "the gun boat Tyler saved the day "
The guns of the U.S.S Tyler sent their last blast hurtling toward Graveyard Hill at 10:30 A.M. on July 4, 1863. The Confederates were retreating. Helena remained in Union hands. The Battle of Helena, July 4 1863 The Tyler steamed into . . . — Map (db m51915) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Battle of HelenaJuly 4, 1863
Confederate General Theophilus Holmes wanted to regain control of Helena, an island of Union control in Confederate Arkansas. His attack failed. Miscommunication, lack of information, and the determined resistance of the Union troops, who vowed not . . . — Map (db m107941) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Explore our Top Outdoor Destinations
The Mississippi River defines Helena The Mississippi River has for centuries been the backbone of life in Helena; fertilizing its soil, supporting its farms and businesses, connecting people and cultures. Despite this rich history, there is . . . — Map (db m107810) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Fight at the Levee
During the Battle of Helena on July 4, 1863, constant fire from Union cavalry and artillery near the levee helped stall the Confederate advance on Battery A. The Union Troops at the Levee . . . — Map (db m107930) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — River Birds
Seasons change, as they do, birds and other wild animals migrate from one place to the next to find food. Many birds follow the twists and turns of the Mississippi River as they journey from the northern United States to their winter breeding . . . — Map (db m107814) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Avenging Fire of the Gunboat
The gunboat U.S.S. Tyler gave the Union defenders a decided advantage in the Battle of Helena. Her captain could move the gunboat and its heavy artillery where it was needed most, and that is exactly what he did. Map (db m107975) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Battle of HelenaJuly 4, 1863
Confederate General Theophilus Holmes wanted to regain control of Helena, an island of Union control in Confederate Arkansas. His attack failed. Miscommunication, lack of information, and the determined resistance of the Union troops, who vowed not . . . — Map (db m107937) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Helena Bridge
Built in 1961, the Helena bridge is about a mile long and 28 feet wide. It stretches across the Mississippi River, linking Helena with the town of Lula, Mississippi via US 49.

Before the bridge Until the early 1960s, there was no bridge . . . — Map (db m107818) HM

Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Mississippi River Defines Helena
The Mississippi River has for centuries been the backbone of life in Helena; fertilizing its soil, supporting its farms and businesses, connecting people and cultures. Helena, built at the base of Crowley’s Ridge, finds itself in a unique location . . . — Map (db m107811) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The River Connects communities
Among our nations’s most valuable treasures: a web of inland waterways that winds its way through America’s heartland to the Mississippi River. Boats carrying people and freight use these well-traveled “marine highways” to travel from . . . — Map (db m107817) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — What is the impact of stormwater on the Mississippi
The impact of stormwater runoff on the Mississippi River is an environmental concern. The quality and quantity of water in all of our streams, rivers, lakes, aquifers, and oceans is diminishing. We can reverse this negative trend by becoming . . . — Map (db m107812) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — 2 — DeValls Bluff in the Civil War
DeValls Bluff was strategically important to both the Union and Confederate armies as a major White River port and as head of the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad. It became a key Union supply depot after its fall 1863 occupation, as well as a haven . . . — Map (db m96455) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — DeValls Bluff Under FireBlue and Gray Fight on the Grand Prairie
DeValls Bluff’s status as an excellent riverport and the head of the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad made it an important base for both Confederate and Union forces. Hoping to block Federal ships from moving up the White River, Major Gen. Thomas C. . . . — Map (db m96666) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — DeValls Bluff: A Key Union BaseDeValls Bluff Was A Major Union Supply Depot
DEVALL’S BLUFF, ARKANSAS August 23, 1863. GENERAL: Having reconnoitered the different routes, I have decided to commence my line of operations at this point, and have moved the depot and hospital here to-day. The site chosen is a . . . — Map (db m96672) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — DeValls Bluff: A Major Union Riverport
Rising from the Boston Mountains, the White River meanders 720 miles to its junction with the Arkansas River in the southeastern part of the state. The fast-moving water kept the White River from suffering the build-up of silt that made such rivers . . . — Map (db m96674) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — War on the White RiverThe Most Important Waterway in Civil War Arkansas
With a swift current and deep channel that allowed deeper-draft vessels to use it reliably as far north as Batesville, the White River was the most important river in Civil War Arkansas and was used extensively by both sides. The Confederate . . . — Map (db m96669) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — Why DeValls Bluff
DeValls Bluff was ideally situated to be an important location in the Civil War. The riverport was located at a point on the White River that was navigable at all seasons, a distinct advantage over Arkansas River sites that were frequently isolated . . . — Map (db m96667) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The "Little Rock"1722
A section of the "Little Rock" located at the foot of Rock Street forming the south pier of the railroad bridge over the Arkansas River, being the first rock seen by the French explorer, Bernard De La Harpe, on his voyage from the mouth of the . . . — Map (db m102141) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal PierBerkeley History — 1926
Berkeley's original shoreline was about where Second Street and the eastern side of Aquatic Park are located today. In 1853 a private wharf was built at the foot of what is now Delaware Street, and a working waterfront with factories and piers . . . — Map (db m36487) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 46 — Vallejo Flour Mill<-- 1/2 Mile
Site of flour mill, Niles. Built 1853 by Don Jose De Vallejo, brother of General Vallejo, on his Rancho Arroyo De La Alameda. Niles was once called "Vallejo Mills". Stone aqueduct carrying water for mill parallels Niles Canyon Road. — Map (db m100545) HM
California (Alameda County), Newark — Wind-Powered Archimedes Screw-Pump
Regional Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark Wind-Powered Archimedes Screw-Pump ca. 1890 Newark, California This late example of the wind-driven Archimedes screw-pump shifted brine from on salt concentrating pond to one . . . — Map (db m71365) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — USS Oakland Mast
The ship’s mast in front of you is salvaged from the USS Oakland, an anti-aircraft cruiser – typical of many ships that received supplies sent from the Oakland Naval Supply Depot during World War II. The Oakland was assigned to the . . . — Map (db m72102) WM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Charles P. Howard Terminal
The marine terminal you are facing is the easternmost of the Port of Oakland’s container shipping facilities. Howard Terminal is operated as a joint venture of SSA Terminals and Matson Navigation Company, the principal carrier of containerized . . . — Map (db m71327) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Cryer & Sons
In operation on the Oakland waterfront from 1907 to 1989, Cryer was one of the best-known builders of small boats in the Bay Area. Founded in San Francisco in the 1890s by English-born William Cryer, the yard was later taken over by his son William . . . — Map (db m71421) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Early Harbor
Creating the Cove The transformation of the estuary from industrial harbor to recreational waterway is a major trend in Oakland’s history. The change began at this spot. The Oakland Municipal Yacht Harbor – the city’s first public . . . — Map (db m71420) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Estuary Industry
Railroads & Industries Railroads and shipping set the stage for Oakland's industrial development. Transcontinental trains have been rumbling down the Embarcadero (old First Street) since 1869, and oceangoing vessels have been calling at . . . — Map (db m92790) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Evolution of a Marine Terminal
Oakland’s waterfront has been rebuilt many times in response to changes in marine technology. In 1900 coal-laden schooners discharged their cargo into bunkers on Howard Terminal’s pier. Dockside warehouses, known as transit sheds, held break-bulk . . . — Map (db m71328) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Food & Ships
Oakland Canneries By the early 20th century, harbor improvements, expanded port facilities, and transcontinental rail service had made Oakland one of the state's leading exporters of processed food of all kinds: canned, dried, bottled, . . . — Map (db m92788) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — History of the Transbay Ferry
Ferry service between Oakland and San Francisco has played a vital role over 145 years. The earliest licensed operator was Captain Thomas Gray who started his stern-wheeler river boat, the “General Sutter”, from a landing at the foot of . . . — Map (db m71255) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Moving Shoreline
Moving Shoreline Oakland's 19-mile shoreline underwent continual change after the Gold Rush, as marsh and tideland was reclaimed for development. The natural shoreline now lies buried under dredged bay sediments and landfill. Here, by the . . . — Map (db m92753) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Oakland's First Wharf
This is the approximate site of the first wharf authorized by the town of Oakland and constructed by Horace W. Carpenter at the foot of Main Street (now Broadway) in 1852. The wharf was used for shipping lumber and supplies. — Map (db m71235) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Seventh Street
Spine of West Oakland The elevated BART tracks are the latest link in Seventh Street's long history as the transportation spine of West Oakland. The street once led to the long Wharf and Mole on the western waterfront where the . . . — Map (db m92787) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 962 — Site of Blossom Rock Navigation Trees
Until at least 1851, Redwood trees on this site were used as landmarks to avoid striking the treacherous submerged Blossom Rock in San Francisco Bay west of Yerba Buena Island. Although by 1855 the original stems had been logged, today's trees are . . . — Map (db m100564) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — The Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland was formed on November 10, 1925 when citizen passed bonds for the development of port facilities. On February 12, 1927, the first permanent Board of Port Commissioners was sworn in by Mayor John L. Davie, The Port’s headquarters . . . — Map (db m71270) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Training Wall
This stone wall you see before you is a partial replica of the north training wall, one of two historic jetties called “training walls” because they were designed to direct the forces of the ebb tide to scour Oakland’s shipping channel . . . — Map (db m72206) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Union Point
Creating a Harbor Spreading before you is the Oakland Estuary. This sheltered inlet of San Francisco Bay was once fringed by broad marshes and shallow tidelands which became mud flats at low tide. A rich wildlife habitat, the estuary was a . . . — Map (db m72098) HM

4964 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 4764
Paid Advertisement