Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Charity & Public Work Historical Markers

3303 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3103
 
Fairhope Museum of History Marker image, Touch for more information
By Sandra Hughes, January 17, 2019
Fairhope Museum of History Marker
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fairhope — Fairhope Museum of History
On 24 N Section Street at Fairhope Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 24 N Section Street.
Dedicated 2008 A gift to the people of Fairhope from The Fairhope Single Tax Corporation & the City of Fairhope

Dedicated April 5, 2008 The Front Section of this structure was carefully restored to reflect its original use as . . . — Map (db m128887) HM

Alabama (Baldwin County), Foley — Cobb's Light
On Alabama Route 59, on the left when traveling south.
1942, Benjamin DeWitt Cobb, more affectionately known as “B.D.”, was appointed as the lone police officer for the town of Foley. In 1943, another officer was hired and B.D. was appointed as the first Chief of Police. This marked the . . . — Map (db m81581) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Leighton — William LeighFounder of Leighton
On Old Hwy 20 east of Morgan Drive, on the right when traveling east.
(side 1) The town of Leighton was named in honor of the Reverend William Leigh, son and grandson of Revolutionary War veterans. He was born in Amelia County Virginia, Oct 4, 1790 and moved to Alabama about 1823.
Leigh settled nearby . . . — Map (db m106112) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ethel Davis PlazaIn Memory of — Ethel Davis, Artist —
On North Water Street, on the right when traveling south.
1896-1968 Ethel Davis' vision and determination to enhance the quality of life in the Shoals through support and encouragement of the arts led to the foundation of the Tennessee Valley Art Association in 1963. The following year the City of . . . — Map (db m83395) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ivy GreenBirthplace of Helen Keller
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was built 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia. Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage Helen Adams Keller — Map (db m29089) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — The Challenge / The Response
On North Jefferson Street.
The Challenge "Will you not help me hasten the day when there shall be no preventable blindness; no little deaf, blind child untaught; no blind man or woman unaided? I appeal to you Lions, you who have sight, your hearing, you who are strong . . . — Map (db m108373) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Yellow Fever Epidemic 1878 / The 31 Victims of Yellow Fever Who died in Tuscumbia
On North Main Street at North Commons Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street.
Side AYellow Fever Epidemic 1878 Taking 31 Lives in Tuscumbia Citizen's Relief Committee: F.H. Aydlett, H.M. Finley, J.J. Davis, James Jackson, Chm. J.W. Rand Jr., F.A. Ross, J.N. Sampson, Sec. and C. A. Womble. . . . — Map (db m29263) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Johann Gottfried Cullmann
On 2nd Ave., NE.
Born Frankwetler, Bavarta, Germany July 2, 1823 Died Cullman, Alabama December 3, 1895 Colonel Cullmann Founded the City of Cullman, Alabama, in 1873. Later, in 1877, he founded Cullman County. He also established the Alabama Towns of Bangor, . . . — Map (db m83459) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Sisters Missionary Servants Of The Most Blessed Trinity
On South 1st Street at South 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north on South 1st Street.
On January 25, 1925 the Sisters acquired the 25 - bed Gadsden General Hospital on Chestnut Street and renamed it Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. The Hospital grew under the leadership of the Founders, Father Thomas A. Judge, C. M. and Mother Mary . . . — Map (db m39141) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Red Bay — Red Bay School
On 1st Street Southeast at 4th Avenue South (Alabama Route 24), on the right when traveling north on 1st Street Southeast.
The first school building was built around 1900 by local citizens. The building was located just across from the Methodist Church. The building was a one-room structure & there were 2 teachers who taught at the school. All pupils walked to school & . . . — Map (db m83748) HM
Alabama (Geneva County), Geneva — Emma Knox Kenan LibraryFounded 1904
On South Commerce Street (Alabama Route 27) north of East Church Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Mrs. Emma Knox Kenan established the library at the request of school superintendent W.W. Benson in a small cloak room of the Geneva School. The library was financed by subscriptions, book rentals and fund raisers. The property where the library now . . . — Map (db m131869) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Carrie A. Tuggle1858 - 1924
On 5th Avenue North at 16th Street North, on the left when traveling east on 5th Avenue North.
In Tribute to Carrie A. Tuggle 1858 - 1924 Scholar, Teacher and Christian. A life of unselfish service to the troubled and the homeless black boys and girls. In 1903, she founded a school and orphanage, the Tuggle . . . — Map (db m27391) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Donnelly House
On Highland Avenue South, on the right when traveling west.
This neoclassical structure was built in 1905 for James W. Donnelly, "the father of the Birmingham Library System." Donnelly moved to Birmingham from his native Cincinnati, Ohio after retiring from Proctor and Gamble. A much respected . . . — Map (db m26740) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — St. Vincent’s HospitalBirmingham’s Oldest Hospital
On St. Vincents Drive at University Blvd South, in the median on St. Vincents Drive.
Named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Daughters of Charity in France in 1633, the hospital opened December 20, 1898 in the temporarily rented Henry F. DeBardelaben mansion at 206 15th Street South. Father Patrick A. O’Reilly founded the . . . — Map (db m27523) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II / Tutwiler HotelMarch 22, 1923 - March 1, 1982
On 20th Street North at 5th Avenue North, on the right when traveling north on 20th Street North.
Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II “Tutwiler Green”, this section of Birmingham Green was so named in a resolution passed by the Birmingham City Council to honor the life and work of Temple Tutwiler II, who contributed greatly to the . . . — Map (db m27525) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Birmingham Public Library / The Linn - Henley Research Library
Near Park Place.
Birmingham’s first library was organized in 1886 and in 1891 became a subscription library for the general public. In 1908 the Birmingham Public Library Association established a free public library, and the City created an independent Library Board . . . — Map (db m83856) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Cascade
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
One popular element of the park’s original design was a water feature known as the cascade. Cascading fountains were important features in formal European gardens. Their terraced pools and waterfalls animated the landscape with the sounds and . . . — Map (db m83857) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Works Progress Administration
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
The WPA (Works Progress Administration) funded the design and construction of Vulcan Park in the late 1930s. This was done in conjunction with the Alabama Highway Department’s improvement of U.S. Highway 31, the major north/south route that runs . . . — Map (db m69022) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — First Tuberculosis Sanatorium
On Fairway Drive east of Cahaba Road, on the right when traveling east.
1,000 feet East a small group of tents erected May, 1910 by the Anti Tuberculosis Association of Jefferson County constituted the first effort to aid victims of tuberculosis in North Alabama. — Map (db m26964) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — John Wilkinson Taylor
As Deputy Director-General of UNESCO, Dr. John W. Taylor pioneered international programs following WWII aimed at ending illiteracy by promoting education within communities. He introduced an early version of distance learning through . . . — Map (db m138781) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Sculpture Relief Books and Learning1921
On N. Wood Ave..
This sculpture relief was created by James W. Stoves and placed above the entrance to Gilbert Elementary School in 1921. In 1980, following the demolition of Gilbert school, it was moved to Hibbett Middle School. Because of its theme which relates . . . — Map (db m84048) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Hillsboro — Home of Annie Wheeler
On Alternate U.S. 72 at County Road 377 on U.S. 72Alternate .
Born July 31, 1868 ~ Died April 10, 1955 Daughter of General Joseph Wheeler Gallantly served her country three times on foreign soil. Volunteer nurse, Santiago, Cuba~1898. Spanish~American War and Manila, P.I. ~1899 during Philippine . . . — Map (db m29558) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Chewacla State Park(CCC)
On Murphy Drive 0.2 miles east of Wrights Mill Road (County Road 33), on the right when traveling east.
Side 1 Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to . . . — Map (db m85164) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — Dr. Alexandar Nunn / Lee County Historical Society
On Stage Road (Alabama Route 14) 0.1 miles east of Waverly Road, on the left when traveling east.
Side 1 Dr. Alexandar Nunn Dr. Nunn was born in Loachapoka on September 17, 1904. Beginning in 1924 he contributed to and edited the Progressive Farmer Magazine for 43 years. He helped to start Southern Living . . . — Map (db m73537) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence
On South Jefferson Street near West Washington Street, on the right when traveling north.
A section of the fence that surrounded the 'Court House' grounds until 1916. When construction of the present building was planned, the fence was moved to the County Poor Farm on Elkton Rd. This section donated to the people of Limestone County by . . . — Map (db m85390) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Camp WattsNamed for Thomas H. Watts — CSA Attorney General (1862-63) and Alabama Governor (1863-65) —
On Union Camp Road 0.2 miles north of Cooper Lane, on the right when traveling north.
The camp on this site served as a military hospital, a camp of conscription and instruction, a supply depot, and a cemetery during the War Between the States. At one time, there were hundreds of headstones and rocks marking the final resting place . . . — Map (db m73529) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Great PhilanthropistsTuskegee Institute National Historic Site — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
On University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
I will be very glad to pay the bills for the library building . . . and I am glad of this opportunity to show the interest I have in your noble work. —Andrew Carnegie Carnegie Hall is named for Andrew Carnegie, . . . — Map (db m101923) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — 4 — Julius Rosenwald — The Tuskegee Civil Rights and Historic Trail —
On Moton Drive at Booker T. Washington Boulevard on Moton Drive.
Julius Rosenwald (1862-1932) was a Jewish multimillionaire merchant and one of the founders (1906) of Sears, Roebuck, and Company, then the largest department store in the United States. Rosenwald was a member of the Tuskegee University Board of . . . — Map (db m134671) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Civilian Conservation Corps(C. C. C.) Camp — 1935~1940 —
On Monte Sano Blvd Southeast at Highland Plaza Southeast, on the right when traveling north on Monte Sano Blvd Southeast.
This rock entrance is all that remains of Camp Ala. SP-16, 3486 and Camp Ala. TVA-7, 3483 which were built here due to available water. They were part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's conservation projects. When WW II started the men enlisted in . . . — Map (db m55607) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Lowell M. AndersonFather of Monte Sano Club
On Georgetta Drive 0.2 miles east of Monte Sano Blvd SE, on the right when traveling north.
(side A) He proposed this pool to the residents, found the site, raised funds and crews, and put both to work. He trained residents of all ages and professions to operate bulldozers, bend and tie rebar, pour concrete, and plumb a pool. . . . — Map (db m108684) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Hospital
On St Anthony Street at North Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling west on St Anthony Street.
Built in 1830 by Thomas S. James, Mobile's third hospital has been preserved in its original design except for additions at each end, serving without interruption through disastrous fires, yellow fever epidemics, and war. For 83 years between . . . — Map (db m86404) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — St. John's Episcopal Church
Near South Dearborn Street north of Canal Street, on the right when traveling north.
St. John’s Episcopal Church, established and built in 1855, stood at the northwest corner of this block, its rectory adjacent. Between 1860 and 1870, the Church Home, an orphanage and school consisting of three buildings, was constructed. This was . . . — Map (db m123443) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Salvation Army in Mobile
On St Francis Street at North Conception Street, on the right when traveling east on St Francis Street.
At the corner of Conception and St. Francis Streets, Captain Edward Justus Parker, Staff-Captain Charles Miles and a Salvation Army lieutenant conducted an open air meeting on the night of their arrival in March 1887. In contrast to earlier . . . — Map (db m86337) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Theodore — The Story of Bellingrath GardensA Gift to Posterity
Near Bellingrath Gardens Road (County Route 18) 1.4 miles east of Bellingrath Road (County Route 59), on the right when traveling east.
(plaque 1) The site of the famed gardens was originally a semi-tropical jungle on the Isle-Aux-Coirs River. In 1917 the property was acquired for a private fishing lodge by Walter and Bessie Morse Bellingrath… The primeval beauty of the . . . — Map (db m100526)
Alabama (Montgomery County), Hope Hull — Tankersley Rosenwald SchoolErected in 1923
On School Spur Road 0.3 miles south of Pettus Road (County Road 19), on the right when traveling south.
This building was one of fourteen schools constructed in Montgomery County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Company teamed up with Booker . . . — Map (db m71427) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Beauty and HopeRestoring the Vision...Preserving The Legacy
On Prospect Drive at 7th Street, on the right when traveling west on Prospect Drive.
"This section lying between Sixth Avenue and Eight Avenue will provide the central beautification theme as it will evolve into a beautiful elevated rose garden with 2,000 selected roses planted at vantage points... the color ensemble, when complete . . . — Map (db m86480) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Rising Sun Lodge No. 29Ancient Free & Accepted Masons
Near Bank Street Northeast at Church Street Northeast, on the left when traveling north.
Dr. Henry Rhodes, for whom Rhodes Ferry Landing was named, was Decatur's first Postmaster and one of the organizers of the Lodge (Nov. 22, 1826). Chartered in 1827, its first Worshipful Master was Colonel Francis Dancy, builder of the Dancy-Polk . . . — Map (db m102823) HM
Alabama (St. Clair County), Eden — None — Camp Winnataska
On Camp Winnataska Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Dr. Elwyn Ballard, Commissioner of Boy Scouts in Birmingham, and his wife, Florence Aye Ballard, discovered this site in 1914, and became vital forces in the founding and growth of the camp. Boy Scouts and Boys Club members from the area first . . . — Map (db m49659) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Presbyterian Home For ChildrenSynod Of Alabama — Presbyterian Church In The United States —
On Ashland Highway (State Highway 77) east of Chaffee Street, on the right when traveling east.
Originally conceived 1864 as a home for children of Confederate dead by Synod in session at Selma. Opened at Tuskegee 1868 - relocated in Talladega 1891. A haven for dependent youth of Alabama providing training, education, and worship in a . . . — Map (db m28206) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), McCalla — Woodward Post Office 
Near Confederate Parkway south of Tannehill Road, on the left when traveling south.
This was built by Woodward Iron company 1915. Donated for restoration by the Meade Corporation in 1978. — Map (db m107505) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Margaret M. DuPont
Near 22nd Avenue.
Margaret McLeod DuPont was born and raised in Tuscaloosa and graduated from the University of Alabama with a degree in Home Economics Education. She worked as a secretary for the Vice President of Reichhold Chemical and as a Stenographer for Mayor . . . — Map (db m35380) HM
Alaska (Juneau Borough), Juneau — Patsy Ann: her statue
Near Marine Way.
Fifty years after Patsy Ann met her last ship, admirers led by June Dawson organized the Friends of Patsy Ann. The group raised funds and commissioned a statue so Patsy Ann could once again greet visitors on the dock. Sculpted by Ann Burke . . . — Map (db m69663) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Albright Training Center History
The Horace M. Albright Training Center is a National Park Service facility for employee development. Established in 1963 and named for the National Park Service's second director, the training center serves as an educational program center for . . . — Map (db m39602) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — CCC Legacy
The nearby plaque commemorates an amazing feat achieved by members of the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in the 1930s - construction of a telephone line spanning the entire width of Grand Canyon. One of the poles still stands behind this wall. . . . — Map (db m78836) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Mission 66
Responding to mounting political and public pressure, Congress authorized a ten-year program in 1955 to regenerate and modernize the national parks dubbed "Mission 66" for the target date of 1966, the National Park Service's 50th anniversary. The . . . — Map (db m39587) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Colorado River Storage Project / Glen Canyon DamReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Colorado River Storage Project In recognition of the vision of the Colorado River Storage Project Act of 1956 and the significant contributions the act has made to the development of the Upper Colorado River Basin states, this plaque . . . — Map (db m40350) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Concrete Bucket / Concrete Core SampleReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Concrete Bucket This is one of several concrete buckets that poured the concrete in Glen Canyon Dam. Each bucket held 24 tons (22 metric tons) of concrete and it took over 400,000 buckets to complete the dam. The first pour of concrete . . . — Map (db m40342) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Glen Canyon DamColorado River Storage Project
Dedicated by the First Lady Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson September 22, 1966 United States Department of the Interior Stewart L. Udall, Secretary Bureau of Reclamation Floyd E. Dominy, Commissioner [The following marker is inside the . . . — Map (db m40370) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Hydroelectric Power - A Green and Renewable Energy SourceReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Glen Canyon Dam and other dams along the Colorado River provide critical water and power resources for millions of Americans in the Southwest. Recreation at the reservoirs is enjoyed by visitors from around the world. Turbine Runner This . . . — Map (db m40344) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Intake StructuresReclamation: Managing Water in the West
The eight small "buildings" on the upstream face of the dam contain equipment to operate the penstock gates. Each penstock is 15 feet (4.6 meters) in diameter and carries water to one of the turbine generators in the powerplant. — Map (db m40349) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Rock Bolts / High ScalingReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Rock Bolts Since Navajo sandstone tends to fracture vertically, rock bolts lock rock slabs together, thereby minimizing rock falls into the canyon. These bolts extend from 45 to 75 feet (14-23 meters) into the canyon wall. They are assembled . . . — Map (db m40346) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Turbine Runner
This stainless steel turbine runner was removed in 1989 from the Bureau of Reclamation's Crystal Dam Powerplant in Montrose, Colorado. Weighing about 8½ metric tons, it is the rotating part of a Francis-type reaction turbine (named after its . . . — Map (db m40371) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Fort Thomas — Melvin Jones International MemorialHistorical Site
On U.S. 70 at milepost 306, on the left when traveling east.
Melvin Jones was born on January 13, 1879, near this site in Fort Thomas. He lived here for the first eight years of his life, during the Indian Wars here. In 1917, Melvin Jones formed Lions Clubs International with 20 delegates representing 27 . . . — Map (db m28051) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Original Site of the Desert MissionBeginnings of John C. Lincoln Hospital
On Eva Street at North 5th, on the right when traveling west on Eva Street.
Born of the selfless and compassionate services of those individuals who gave medical, spiritual and other assistance to the sick and needy in the Sunnyslope area. After the turn of the century, the Desert Mission grew to be the center of these . . . — Map (db m111478) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Charles Miller1862 - 1923
On Indian School Road at Miller Road, on the left when traveling east on Indian School Road.
An early Civic Leader of Scottsdale, Charles Miller purchased this property and the 120 acres to the North and West from Scottsdale founder Winfield Scott. He with two others Founded the Scottsdale Light and Power Company, which brought . . . — Map (db m40594) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Charles Metcalfe Park
Near Grandview Avenue near West Beale Street (Business Interstate 40).
Dedicated in Memory of Charles Metcalfe 1855-1943 He deeded in perpetuity this land as a park for the use of Kingman youth. Recognized as a civic leader and land developer, He proposed development of Hualapai Mountain Park. He held . . . — Map (db m29362) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — George-Brockway HouseHistoric Site
On South Central Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This Colonial Revival adobe was the home of George Brockway and his wife Esther. Brockway was the town medical doctor, Pinal County Hospital Superintendent and Territorial Prison physician. He owned a drugstore, and in 1908 became the first mayor of . . . — Map (db m26712) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Fire & Police DepartmentsHistoric Sedona
Near Hwy 89A.
In its' early days as a small, scattered and isolated settlement, Sedona had few emergency services.

In 1948 the Sedona School burned to the ground. This motivated the new Chamber of Commerce to start a "Firefight Fund". Sedona blacksmith and . . . — Map (db m133032) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Old City Jail
On Jackson Street south of Johnson Avenue, on the right when traveling south.

Location: West of the railroad tracks on Lincoln Street between McClure & Monroe, almost directly across from Allen Canning Company Warehouse. It was about 12' x 12', made of native stone, cemented together. One small window on the north side . . . — Map (db m93282) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — War Eagle Mills Farm
On War Eagle Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Ozark Arts and Crafts Fair was founded on War Eagle Mills Farm by Lester and Blanche Elliott and friends in October 1954 for the purpose of giving recognition to Ozark artists and craftsmen who work with their hands and hearts to preserve the . . . — Map (db m52066) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — A Timeless PlaceUpper Spring
On Spring Street west of Hillside Avenue, on the right when traveling west.

The buildings, the bluffs, the spring and The Boulevard all make this a special place in Eureka Springs which has kept a peaceful beauty of earlier times.

The front of the McLaughlin Block has changed little since it was built in . . . — Map (db m80138) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Carnegie Library
On Spring Street west of Hillside Avenue, on the right when traveling west.

This is one of only four free public libraries in Arkansas funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It was built of native limestone and completed in 1912 on this site which was donated by Eureka Springs resident Richard C. Kerens. The . . . — Map (db m80137) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Grotto Spring
On Spring Street 0.2 miles east of Polk Street, on the right when traveling east.

The words "esto perpetua" emblazoned upon a stone above the entrance to Grotto Spring declare the prevailing belief that these healing waters would flow forth forever. Early townspeople discovered the spring under an overhanging rock ledge, a . . . — Map (db m80121) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Law Offices of F. O. Butt
On Spring Street 0.1 miles north of Main Street (Arkansas Highway 23), on the left when traveling north.

Festus Orestes Butt was born in 1875 in Illinois just before his family moved to Carroll County, Arkansas. He became a licensed attorney before he was of legal age. The Arkansas General Assembly set aside his "disability of minority", and he . . . — Map (db m79735) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Sweet Spring
On Spring Street east of Pine Street, on the left when traveling east.

This spring derived its name from early townspeople who declared the water to have a pleasant, sweet taste. The spring was originally located in the deep ravine below the present site. A long wooden stairway led from the spring to the narrow . . . — Map (db m80115) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Stone Walls
On Spring Street, on the left when traveling north.
Eureka Springs claims an estimated fifty-six miles of stone walls. Skilled stonemasons constructed most of the walls between 1885 and 1910. The limestone used was sometimes quarried on site but the majority was transported to the town site by . . . — Map (db m63299) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hiram Abiff Whittington1805-1890
On Whittington Ave. at Pine Street, on the right when traveling east on Whittington Ave..
Front of Obelisk Born in Boston, Mass., came to Arkansas in 1826 to be printer for the Arkansas Gazette. In 1882 he moved to Hot Springs and in a two room log cabin established a general store, post office and lending library. He served as . . . — Map (db m116351) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — C.W. Lewis Stadium
On Unnamed Street.
C.S. Lewis Stadium Dedicated Sept. 21, 1934 Benton 19-Arkadelphia 0 Benton School Board Predisent (1868-1928) 1918-1928 Civic leader and Education Advocate. — Map (db m131956) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — 1908 Reunion of U.S. Marshals
On Garrison Avenue (U.S. 64) at 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on Garrison Avenue.

[Title is text]

[Panoramic photo enlargement] — Map (db m93244) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — A-4 — Sebastian County Seat of Justice
On 6th Street (State Highway 255) south of Rogers Avenue, on the left when traveling south.

The permanent seat of justice in Sebastian County, created in 1851 was located on a site to which was given the name of Greenwood. In 1861 another court house was erected at Ft. Smith and since then the county has maintained two seats of . . . — Map (db m92349) HM

Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — James William Fulbright
On Arkansas Avenue north of Lafayette Street, on the left when traveling north.
President of University of Arkansas 1939-1941. U.S. Representative 1943-1944. U.S. Senator 1945. Delegate to the United Nations 1954. Author of Fulbright Resolution for International Cooperation 1943. Originator of Fulbright . . . — Map (db m59915) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Significant Dates in Fayetteville History
On Center Street at East Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Center Street.
Significant dates in Fayetteville history include: Incorporated town in 1836; Old Wire road from Jefferson City, Mo. to Ft. Smith cut in 1835; Washington County Fair first held on the Square in 1856; first telegraph installed around 1860; . . . — Map (db m59877) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Will RogersTo The Memory Of
On Arkansas Avenue north of Lafayette Street, in the median.
Whose heartfelt understanding of his fellowman made possible the planning of this avenue February 1931 — Map (db m59914) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Y.M.C.A.City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1990 — Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect - 1910 —
On Allston Way at Milvia Street, on the right when traveling west on Allston Way.
Originating among working class Englishmen in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association was brought to North America in 1851 to promote a "full and balanced life" through religious devotion and athletic activity. Berkeley's charter organization . . . — Map (db m50295) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Hayward Public Library
On C Street near Mission Boulevard.
Don Guillermo Castro, founder of the city, preserved the plaza for the enjoyment of the citizens, and in 1856 conveyed to them ownership of the land forever. This library, originally constructed on the plaza in 1951, and enlarged in 1958, was . . . — Map (db m28774) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Black Panther Party Stoplight
On Markert Street near 55th Street, on the right when traveling south. Reported unreadable.
On August 1, 1987 This stoplight was installed as a result of a community initiative spearheaded by the Black Panther Party Side 2 After several children attending the nearby Santa Fe Elementary School were killed and . . . — Map (db m72395) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — John "Alex" Alexander1924-1993
On Middle Harbor Road near 7th Street, on the right when traveling south.
John "Alex" Alexander spent his entire working life at Naval Supply Center Oakland. Symbolic of the many dedicated civilians who worked on the base, Alex inspired others through his tireless work on behalf of the community at large and promoted . . . — Map (db m63171) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Lafayette Square Timeline
On 11th Street, on the left when traveling west.
This marker consists of a number of inscribed metal strips embedded in the walkway. 1853 - Map of Oakland is laid out by J. Kellersberg showing seven public squares, including Lafayette Square. Six are symmetrical around Broadway, the . . . — Map (db m72733) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Oakland’s ChinatownsWa Sung Community Service Club
Near 10th Street near Alice Street, on the right when traveling east.
This marker is made up of two markers and two plaques on the same monument. One Community, Many Locations Chinese first settled in Oakland in the 18502 during the California Gold Rush. Unlike San Francisco’s Chinatown, Oakland’s . . . — Map (db m72762) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Chabot Dam
Near Estudillo Avenue.
Chabot Dam, originally called San Leandro Dam, was built by Anthony Chabot who started Contra Coast Water Company in 1868. When artesian wells and Temescal and Sausal Creeks failed to bring Oakland and surrounding cities enough water he decided to . . . — Map (db m71714) HM
California (Alameda County), Sunol — Sunol Water Temple
Near Paloma Way.
[Main Marker:] California Historic Civil Engineering Landmark Alameda Creek Water System 1888 San Francisco Section A802 1975 [Second Marker:] Restoration of the Sunol Water Temple Started May 27, 1997 . . . — Map (db m24499) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Cribbs Field
Near Church Street.
This site is named in recognition of the gift by W.D. "Dick" and Marge Cribbs to the city of Sutter Creek on April 6th, 1964. This land was given with the stipulation it be developed for municipal purposes including the construction and . . . — Map (db m106334) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Carnegie LibraryBuilt 1912
On Montgomery Street at Oak Street, on the right when traveling east on Montgomery Street.
has been placed on National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior In 1911, Andrew Carnegie, Scottish industrialist, businessman, and major philanthropist, endowed upon City of Oroville $10,000 for . . . — Map (db m17229) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Stege Sanitary
On San Pablo Avenue near Portrero Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m94208) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Women's Westside Improvement Club
On Park Place near Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Established July 7, 1908, for the purpose of improving the quality of life in Point Richmond, the Women's Westside Improvement Club is responsible for the original Indian statue fountain, a reading room that became the Westside Branch Library, this . . . — Map (db m94711) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 155 — Central Fire Station1516 Bonanza St. — 1926 —
On Bonanza Street near Commercial Lane, on the right when traveling west.
Costing $3,000 to build, the two-story Central Fire Station was the first and "hub" station in the County's newly formed Central Fire Protection District. The station's pumper engine cost $7,000. The first fire chief was Raymond Spencer, son of . . . — Map (db m93825) HM
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — Remembering Billy Boone
On Front Street near G Street, on the left when traveling west.
The monument you are looking at is dedicated to Billy Boone. But who was Billy Boone? Former newspaper publisher Wally Griffin, remembers him as a "promoter" of Del Norte County, but most people who remember him recall that he was instrumental in . . . — Map (db m92062) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Volunteer Firemen
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
This monument is dedicated to the Georgetown Volunteer Firemen past and present who have served this community for 125 years. This bell had served as the fire alarm for many years until retired in 1965 when the new station was built. Material . . . — Map (db m11376) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Thomas MaulSuperior Judge — 1885 – 1954 —
On Bradford Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Bradford Street.
Lawyer This plaque is a memorial To our beloved citizen Who sponsored this park and many other civic improvements — Map (db m13172) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — George M. Bowman1891 - 1984
On Fresno Street at O Street, on the right when traveling east on Fresno Street.
This Water Tower is dedicated to George M. Bowman in recognition for thirty-six years of dedicated service to the City of Fresno and for his accomplishments as a naval officer. He was the city's first chief engineer and became general manager of . . . — Map (db m41071) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — The Fresno Water TowerAn American Water Landmark
On Fresno Street near O Street, on the right when traveling east.
Designed by architect George S. Mayer of Chicago, Illinois. It was completed in November 1894, replacing two wooden tanks erected on this site in 1887. The Tower stands 100 feet high with a tank capacity of 250,000 gallons. This facility, modeled . . . — Map (db m41069) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Hose Company Number 4
On 3rd Street at O Street, on the left when traveling east on 3rd Street.
Built in 1884, this building became home of “Columbia Hose Company Number 4”, chartered April 2, 1894. It is the oldest surviving structure of the 7 volunteer companies organized in Eureka between 1873 and 1908. Original building had 2 . . . — Map (db m91922) HM
California (Humboldt County), Patrick's Point — William Z. Hegy1915 - 1986
On California Route 101.
A native of Plunkett, Saskatchewan, Canada. Graduated from Stanford University with a degree in Civil Engineering, began work with the Division of Highways in 1936. He worked in many positions and locations throughout his career, becoming State . . . — Map (db m1509) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Women's 10,000 Club
On Olive Street at South 7th Street, on the right when traveling east on Olive Street.
Established and organized in 1908 as the Men Club to promote the city of El Centro, their first goal was for El Centro to reach a population of 10,000 residents. On October 30, 1908 the women took over the club and renamed it the Women's 10,000 . . . — Map (db m101569) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
Near California Route 190.
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m71148) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Firehouse
On 3rd Street (County Route A21) at Birch Street, on the left when traveling east on 3rd Street.
Built in 1913, this building has been the home of the Westwood Fire Department since its beginning. O.L. Lunt was the 1st Chief until 1918. Maurice Hertzig was appointed Chief in 1946 and served for 32 years, he was the last official chief. Once the . . . — Map (db m56708) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Meeting of the USC Board of Trustees — USC — University of Southern California —
On Trousdale Parkway at Hellman Way, on the right when traveling north on Trousdale Parkway.
The Board of Trustees of the University of Southern California met for the first time on September 3, 1880, culminating years of efforts by leaders of the Methodist Episcopal Conference of Southern California. The Board accepted the gift of this . . . — Map (db m129945) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 730 — Plaza Fire House
On North Los Angeles Street.
Dedicated to the firemen of the Los Angeles Fire Department - past, present and future - who, since 1871, by their courage and faithful devotion to duty have protected the lives and property of the citizens of Los Angeles from the ravages of fire. — Map (db m51301) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Public Service — USC — University of Southern California —
On Trousdale Parkway at West 34th Street, on the left when traveling north on Trousdale Parkway.
As an institution that has always been inextricably linked to the region it calls home, the University of Southern California has long been a source of formal and informal community service. During its early years, much of that service took the . . . — Map (db m130194) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 139 — Shrine Auditorium & Expo Center
On West Jefferson Boulevard at Royal Street, on the left when traveling west on West Jefferson Boulevard.
A Shrine To Entertainment And Service When the original Shrine Auditorium opened in 1906, the movies that would make it internationally recognizable were in their infancy; the first dramatic film made entirely in Los Angeles was being . . . — Map (db m138639) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Spirit of the CCCHonoring Those Who Served in the Civilian Conservation Corps — 1933 - 1942 —
Near Zoo Drive east of Forest Lawn Drive.
The CCC had two camps in Griffith Park. Camp Griffith Park, originally located just east of this site, was occupied from May 1934 to May 1936. A statue honoring the CCC was sculpted by John Palo-Kangas as a WPA Federal Art Project and placed in that . . . — Map (db m137298) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Student Musical Traditions — USC — University of Southern California —
Near West 34th Street.
As long as USC has been in existence, there has been music in the air. Musical instruction was listed in the university’s first catalog in 1880, and the first USC band was started in 1881. A student served as band director, and although the group . . . — Map (db m130533) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Northridge — Carl DentzelNorthridge Pioneer — Cordillera del Norte —
Near Nordhoff Street east of North Wystone Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
This plaza is dedicated to the memory of Carl Schaefer Dentzel (1913-1950), Northridge pioneer and Chamber of Commerce president; director of the Southwest Museum for 25 years; and founding member of Los Angeles’ Cultural Heritage Board. It was . . . — Map (db m142448) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Ramona Museum of California HistoryRamona Parlor No. 109 Hall
On South Mission Drive north of Santa Anita Street, on the left when traveling north.
This building, built in 1951, was purchased by Ramona Parlor No.109 Native Sons of the Golden West in 1998 and renovated as a meeting hall and a place to display their early California artifacts in their efforts to preserve the “Spirit of . . . — Map (db m124459) HM
California (Merced County), Los Banos — Henry MillerJuly 21, 1827 - October 14, 1916
On H Street at 6th Street, on the right when traveling west on H Street.
There is one description of Henry Miller, California's cattle king, that sums up his contributions to this community: Henry Miller - Founding Father of Los Banos. Born 1827 in Brackenheim, Kingdom of Wurtemberg, Germany, Miller left the family . . . — Map (db m41164) HM
California (Mono County), Bodie — Return to Bodie
On Bypass Road at California Route 270, on the right when traveling west on Bypass Road.
During the California gold rush, E Clampus Vitus was a fraternal order and benevolence society for miners. It was rumored to be one of the secret societies in the town of Bodie during its heyday. Today, ECV is dedicated to the preservation of . . . — Map (db m8493) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Poor Farm
On U.S. 395 at Green Creek Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 395.
It began as the county hospital in Bodie in 1879. With the decline of Bodie in the mid 1880’s, the hospital was moved eventually to a site east of this monument and Highway 395 to the rear of the small meadow that you see. At that time it became . . . — Map (db m11347) HM
California (Napa County), Napa — Dave Cavagnaro Circus Plaza
Near Third Street.
Named in honor of Davis Ernest Cavagnaro, who served as a director of the Napa Town and Country Fair board for 20 years. A devoted, active circus fan, originator of Napa’s fair parades, civic minded citizen who was lovingly known as Mayor of East . . . — Map (db m54576) HM
California (Nevada County), Grass Valley — 855 — Mount Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy
On South Church Street when traveling south.
Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O’Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It . . . — Map (db m12898) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Pennsylvania Engine Co. No. 2January 14, 1861
On Broad Street, on the right when traveling west.
Fire Company formed June 18, 1860 as Eureka Hose No.2 with 34 volunteers. Name changed in August of that year to ‘Pennsylvania Engine’. Construction money raised in 1859 by popular subscription and a grand ball staged by the town’s women. This . . . — Map (db m10832) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Gietzen Fire Station
On Sacramento Street near Auburn Folsom Road, on the right when traveling south.
In honor of Henry Gietzen, Member of the Auburn Volunteer Fire Department since September 12, 1922; Fire Chief from 1946 to present. Dedicated in July 1974. William Chaix, Trustee; Egar E. Ganow, Trustee; Henry Gietzen, Fire Chief; J. A. . . . — Map (db m687) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — William B. Layton Park
On West Lake Boulevard (State Highway 89) west of North Lake Boulevard (State Highway 28), on the right when traveling north.
This park was named for and dedicated to the memory of William B. Layton by the North Lake Tahoe Historical Society. North Lake Tahoe will miss the unselfish way the Bill worked for the community. Past General Manager of the Tahoe City Public . . . — Map (db m34532) HM
California (Plumas County), Cromberg — Vardanega Spring
On Mt. Tomba Road, on the right when traveling south.
John Vardanega, first owner of Mt. Tomba Inn, (1933-1944) designed and built this cement tank with the help of the CCC on or about 1938 for water supply in the immediate vicinity. — Map (db m56612) HM
California (Riverside County), Banning — 60 — Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse
On West Hays Street at North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on West Hays Street.
Built in 1915, the Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse is a frame building in the classical revival style with a plain entablature, simple doric columns, and palladian windows, as well as providing a meeting place for the woman's club, the socal and . . . — Map (db m50710) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — A Stately Mansion
On N Street west of 9th Street, on the left when traveling west.
A Stately Mansion This landmark home upholds a tradition of service to the state Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, a National Historic Landmark, served as the headquarters of three governors during the turbulent 1860s. Today it . . . — Map (db m137650) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Bishop Alfonso Gallegos
On 11th Street north of Kayak Alley, on the right when traveling north.
The Most Reverend Alfonso Gallegos, O.A.R., D.D. Titular Bishop of Sasabe, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento Feb. 20, 1931 – Oct. 6, 1991 “Love one another” May 24, 1958 – Ordained priest for the . . . — Map (db m137648) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — City Cemetery
On Broadway at 10th Street, on the left when traveling east on Broadway.
Sacramento Historic Landmark City Cemetery Capt. John A. Sutter donated the original ten acres to the City of Sacramento November 28, 1849 Erected by the Southside Improvement Club Marked by Historic Landmarks . . . — Map (db m137463) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 614 — Leland Stanford House
The house originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the State Executive Office from 1861 to 1867, before the completion of the State Capital. It was later extensively remodeled and . . . — Map (db m11842) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Margaret Rhodes Crocker1822 – 1901 — Wife of Edwin Bryant Crocker —
Near Broadway, on the right when traveling west.
The donation of her late husband’s art collection to the city in 1885 gave Sacramento the first and finest art gallery west of the Mississippi. Other philanthropic gestures during her lifetime, which included generous support of the Protestant . . . — Map (db m10769) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Old Masonic Cemetery
Plot Size: 67” by 68’ Established 1859 In purchasing this site from the Board of Trustees, Sacramento City Cemetery, July 30, 1859, the Order of Free and Accepted Masons became the first fraternal organization in Sacramento to provide . . . — Map (db m14075) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Old Odd Fellows PlotThe Independent Order of Odd Fellows
They were an order that inscribed upon their banners, “Visit the sick, relieve the distressed, and bury the dead.” “To the benevolent – If there is any of that commodity called charity in this community, we earnestly . . . — Map (db m12489) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sisters of Mercy
During the Gold Rush Days of 1857, the Sisters of Mercy came to Sacramento to care for the children of the miners and to serve the sick and the homeless. In those early days, the Sisters purchased land in the heart of the city to build a . . . — Map (db m14839) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sisters of MercyArrival in Sacramento, October 2, 1857
This sculpture commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Sisters of Mercy caring for those in need to the greater Sacramento region. Mary Baptist Russell, California Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy, is depicted here as a woman of vision, courage . . . — Map (db m14840) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Site of the Ridge Home - Sacramento's First Mercy Hospital
On 23rd Street south of Q Street, on the left when traveling north.
On June 24, 1895 the Sisters of Mercy responded to the healthcare needs of the people of Sacramento by acquiring the Ridge Home, a small private hospital, from two local physicians. In 1896, the Sisters broke ground for the construction of a larger . . . — Map (db m91585) HM
California (Sacramento County), Walnut Grove — Charles “Chuck” TisonOctober 8, 1930 – September 24, 2002
On River Road (County Road E13) at Levee Road, on the right when traveling north on River Road.
Charles “Chuck” Tison and his wife Betty moved to Walnut Grove in 1956 where they raised four children who all attended local schools. In 1969 the couple formed the Ti-Gas Company, a LP Gas sales & service distributor which is still a . . . — Map (db m37402) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — Jim Jack’s Cabin
Near 3rd Street near Monterey Street, on the left when traveling south.
Jim Jack was known as China Jim, the Mustard King. In the 1880’s he gathered mustard seed from the grain fields in the San Juan Valley. Jim Jack, “the big-hearted Chinaman” had that rarest of gifts, the gift of giving. — Map (db m62721) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Arrowhead — Donald S. Wieman1900 - 1977
On Rim of the World Highway (State Highway 18), on the right when traveling east.
In 1932, during the Great Depression, California launched a large public works project to aid recovery. A major component was the construction of masonry walls, parapets and fountains along the historic "Rim of the World" highway. This work, widely . . . — Map (db m51261) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 994 — A.K. Smiley Public Library
Near West Vine Street, on the right when traveling east.
Albert K. Smiley, a leader of the city's library movement, donated this building and park to the citizens of Redlands in 1898. Through his generosity, Redlands was given one of California's few privately funded libraries of that era. In 1906, he . . . — Map (db m51029) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Twentynine Palms — 23 — Minerva Hamilton Hoyt
On Utah Trail at National Park Drive, on the right when traveling south on Utah Trail.
Her tireless efforts to establish Joshua Tree National Monument contributed to a heightened appreciation, not only of the Joshua Tree, but of the total desert environment. — Map (db m116863) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — 1020 — Leo Carrillo Ranch(Rancho de Los Kiotes)
Near Flying LC Lane north of Carrillo Way.
Between 1937 and 1940, these adobe and wood buildings were built by actor Leo Carrillo as a retreat, working ranch, and tribute to old California culture and architecture. The Leo Carrillo Ranch, with its Flying "LC" brand, originally covered 2,538 . . . — Map (db m51105) HM
California (San Diego County), Ramona — Ramona Town Hall
On Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated on Washington's birthday, February 22, 1894, this building was given to the townspeople of Nuevo (as Ramona was then known) by a rancher and financier Augustus Barnett and his wife Martha. Feeling that the local schoolhouse was not a . . . — Map (db m82350) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Don Antonio AguirreSan Diego Merchant and Ranchero — 1799 – 1860 —
On San Diego Avenue at Twiggs Street, on the right when traveling south on San Diego Avenue.
Don Jose Antonio Aguirre built his adobe mansion on this site on or just prior to 1868. Because the Casa de Aguirre was one of the first houses in Old Town, the Aguirre – Antonio, his wife Rosaria and their many children – are considered . . . — Map (db m11648) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — AIDS Memorial Quilt
On Market Street east of Castro Street, on the right when traveling west.
Original Site NAMES Project, AIDS Memorial Quilt 1987 — Map (db m98206) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Antonia ManorUptown Tenderloin Historic District — Formerly Hotel Governor c. 1925 —
On Turk Street at Jones Street, on the left when traveling east on Turk Street.
Acquired by Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation in 2000. This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m90144) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Dominic Paul DiMaggioFebruary 12, 1917 - May 8, 2009
On Jefferson Street west of Taylor Street, on the left when traveling west.
This is the site of the original Dimaggios' Restaurant founded by the five DiMaggio brothers in 1937. Tom, the oldest of the 9 children of Sicilian immigrant parents, ran it until the youngest, Dominic Paul DiMaggio, took on the responsibilities in . . . — Map (db m115951) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — History of Union Square
On Powell Street, on the right when traveling north.
1839 Jean Vioget laid out the first plan of Yerba Buena (later San Francisco), showing the Union Square site as a future park. 1847 Jasper O’Farrell created a second, more accurate plan for the blocks of San Francisco, designating this . . . — Map (db m71915) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Jane Addams(1860-1915) — Rainbow Honor Walk —
On Castro Street near Market Street, on the left when traveling north.
Pioneer social reformer, activist for women's rights and world peace, public philosopher, author, first American woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. — Map (db m99816) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Oasis ApartmentsUptown Tenderloin Historic District — c. 1928 —
On Turk Street east of Hyde Street, on the right when traveling east.
Formerly YMCA Hotel This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m90171) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 691 — Sarcophagus of Thomas Starr King
Near Franklin Street at O'Farrell Street.
Apostle of liberty, humanitarian, Unitarian minister, who in the Civil War bound California to the Union and led her to excel all other states in support of the United States Sanitary Commission, predecessor to the American Red Cross. His statue, . . . — Map (db m91855) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Frank J. Portman Memorial Diorama1939 - 1995
On Dolores Street near 16th Street.
Frank J. Portman, president of the Frank Portman Company and our Restoration Project contractor was called to God one week before our celebration to mark the completion of the Old Mission Dolores Restoration Project. From the inception of the . . . — Map (db m72505) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Salvation Army
On Montgomery Street north of Jackson Street.
On this site the work of The Salvation Army on the Pacific Coast was started by Major Alfred Wells July 22nd, 1883 San Francisco July 21st, 1939Map (db m40816) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
On Clay Street at Leidesdorff Street on Clay Street.
Near this site occurred the incident which led to the formation of The San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals on April 8, 1868 ——————————— . . . — Map (db m33538) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — White Angel
On The Embarcadero near Battery Street, on the right when traveling south.
It was westering and westering. And then the old men came to edge of the continent and saw they could go no further, they broke down and wept. Down and out on the waterfront in Frisco. The end of the line. Out of work. Out of food. And out of hope. . . . — Map (db m70843) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Woman's Club of Lodi
On West Pine Street at North Lee Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Pine Street.
On May 20, 1988 this unique 1923 Roman style building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In celebration we honor those women of vision who in 1906 started this club, first known as the Lodi Improvement Club. Their efforts . . . — Map (db m91787) HM
California (San Mateo County), Daly City — Where Daly City Started
On Hillcrest Drive west of Mission Street (California Highway 82), on the right when traveling east.
Near this site from 1868-1907 was the 250 acre San Mateo dairy ranch operated by pioneer resident John Daly, for whom Daly City was named upon incorporation of the city in 1911. Among his philanthropic gestures was the opening of his Daly’s Hill . . . — Map (db m52311) HM
California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Soledad O. de Arguello1897 - 1874
Near Broadway Street, on the right when traveling east.
Left Side - English She donated 59,000 acres of land for the benefit of all people. Right Side - Spanish Donadora de 59,000 acres par beneficio de la comunidad — Map (db m62575) HM
California (San Mateo County), Woodside — A Monument to Water
Near Cañada Road near Edgewood Road, on the right when traveling east.
Here on October 28, 1934, an eager audience celebrated the roar of Hetch Hetchy water as it rushed to the Peninsula for the first time. An adequate supply of high-quality drinking water was finally a reality for the Bay Area. — Map (db m92635) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Camp Mt. Madonna
[Side-bar on left:] At New Almaden During the Depression (1933-1942) and after most mining activity had ceased, New Almaden once again gave jobs, hope and future to young men through a program created by Franklin D. Roosevelt called . . . — Map (db m52778) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 32 — San Jose Woman's Club
On South 11th Street, on the right when traveling south.
In December 1894, nine women met to form the San Jose Woman's Club . Supporting temperance and suffrage, the members also promoted education, community improvements and the arts. The club was opened to women of all creeds and nationalities. Today, . . . — Map (db m108410) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Site of English Town ★ CCC Camp Mt. Madonna
The Civilian Conservation Corps, established in 1933 by the Federal Government for nine years became one of the most constructive national service programs. CCC Companies: 1917-V, 1235, 3341, 3325, 739, 4500 occupied this camp between 1933 and 1939. . . . — Map (db m52774) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Santa Clara — Austen D. Warburton“Mr. Santa Clara” — 1917 – 1995 —
On Don Avenue.
Arts, civic, cultural, historical and indigenous groups benefited from the personal service of this sixth-generation Californian. The life of this descendent of Santa Clara’s first physician, H.H. Warburton, and the Spanish colonist Alviso, . . . — Map (db m52935) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Santa Clara — 3 — Senator Franck House Site1155 Washington Street — Point of Historical Interest No. 3 —
On Washington Street south of Fremont Street, on the left when traveling south.
First home of State Senator Frederich Christian Franck, 1826-1902. Came from Baveria in 1855. He was a civic leader & town trustee for eight consecutive years; member of the volunteer fire department from 1856, and elected Chief Engineer 1875-1881. . . . — Map (db m52905) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Saint Joseph Marello
On W Cliff Dr, on the right when traveling south.
Saint Joseph Marello (1844-1895) Bishop of Acqui and founder of the Oblates of Saint Joseph Fortis of Suavis Sculpture by Thomas Marsh, March 19, 1997 Born in Turin, Italy, Joseph Marello lived as a zealous priest in the city of Asti. There . . . — Map (db m112986) HM
California (Shasta County), Anderson — Anderson Historic Fire Station
On East Center Street at Ferry Street on East Center Street.
Originally constructed in 1903 on this site as a two-story building, the Anderson Fire Station was completed for a cost of $90 for used lumber and nails. Initial firefighting equipment included twelve buckets, four axes, three sections of hose . . . — Map (db m70345) HM
California (Shasta County), Burney — The Civilian Conservation Corps: A Surviving Legacy
Near Lake Road north of California Highway 89 S, on the right.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established in 1933 under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal program. During the years of the Great Depression, when the stock market crash and ensuing business closures left many Americans . . . — Map (db m96652) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 4 — CCC Camp (1934-1939)
Near Sims Road.
For just six short years Sims was the location of a bustling Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp... With its wooded valley and beautiful river setting, Sims was a haven to the boys from Company 978 who came from the busy cities of San . . . — Map (db m69843) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 1 — Sims Bridge: A CCC First
On Sims Road.
It took a bit of grit and determination for the Forest Service and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) crew to build this sturdy bridge... Raymond Huber, who supervised the project remembers... “I was given a pickup and a plan of a 160-foot . . . — Map (db m69821) HM
California (Shasta County), Lassen Volcanic National Park — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
On Lassen Peak Highway (California Route 89), on the right when traveling east.
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m71149) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Camp Tulelake
On Hill Road near East West Rod, on the left when traveling north.
1935-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps This camp was built and staffed by the CCC, an organization that was established during the Great Depression by President Franklin Roosevelt to reduce unemployment and to preserve the nation's . . . — Map (db m88000) HM
California (Solano County), Benicia — The Bohn BuildingJohn Augustus Bohn — City Attorney of Benicia 1948-1968 —
On First Street at East G Street on First Street.
Architect and driving force behind the modernization of Highway 780, the first State Capitol Building, the Benicia State Park, First Street Development, the Benicia City Water System, and the Benicia Industrial Park. He gave his vision, his . . . — Map (db m25895) HM
California (Sonoma County), Bodega Bay — The Children's Bell TowerNicholas Green Memorial
Near California Route 1 north of Ranch Road.
The Children's Bell Tower is dedicated to children everywhere. It was inspired by the death of seven-year old Nicholas Green of Bodega Bay who was shot by highway robbers while on vacation with his parents in Italy, on September 29, 1994. All . . . — Map (db m87570) HM
California (Sonoma County), Guerneville — Pioneers of Preservation
Near Armstrong Woods Road 2.5 miles north of River Road (Highway 116).
James B. Armstrong Colonel James B. Armstrong came to California from Ohio in 1874 as a land investor. He purchased land in these forests, eventually developing a deep appreciation for the redwoods. Witnessing the alarming rate of . . . — Map (db m107311) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Big Oak Flat — Joseph E. Lemos1892 – 1961
On State Highway 120, on the left when traveling east.
Initiated Ione Lodge 51 & Ione Rebeka Lodge 270 – 1931 Transferred Yosemite Lodge 97 – 1941 Big Oak Rebeka Lodge 259 – 1947 District Deputy Grand Master 1943 & 1958 District Deputy Grand Marshall 1948 & 1953 Appointed . . . — Map (db m14265) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Sonora — 6007 — Rother's Corner
On North Washington St. (State Highway 49) at Elkins Street, on the right when traveling north on North Washington St..
The corner property was originally called Patrick’s Corner, after George Washington Patrick, an early settler of Sonora and one of its first mayors. At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Patrick left Sonora to volunteer his services to the . . . — Map (db m6968) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Tuolumne — Hose Cart House
On Carter St. (County Highway E17) at Buchanan Rd., on the right when traveling north on Carter St..
This hose cart house restored March 1974, by Tuolumne Hose Co. No. 1, in memory of those who fought fire and originated the first volunteer fire dept. in the townsite of Summerville in 1885. — Map (db m6814) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 76 — The Ebell Club
On South 7th Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
The Ebell Club of Santa Paula was organized in 1913. It was the ninth chapter in California. In 1917, Alice Stowell McKevett donated land for Ebell Park and erected the first half of the building in memory of her husband, Charles M. McKevett. The . . . — Map (db m120828) HM
California (Yolo County), Winters — J. Robert Chapman Memorial Bridge
On Winters Rd, on the left when traveling south.
The Vaca Valley Railroad built a rail and wagon trestle bridge across Putah Creek into Yolo County at this site in 1875, bringing about the birth of the town of Winters. The bridge was built with the financial assistance of prospective businessmen . . . — Map (db m72905) HM
Colorado (Adams County), Westminster — WFD Volunteers 1934 - 2000
On W 73rd Ave near Osceola Street.
The value of one's life can be measured by how he or she has added value to the lives of others. In 2003 this statue was dedicated to those who gave freely of their time to serve Westminster Citizens through the fire service and community activities. — Map (db m4648) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Boulder — Boulder County Courthouse FountainRenovated in 1998
On Pearl Street near 13th Street.
The fountain was erected in 1936 by the Boulder Lions Club. Its smooth terra cotta cladding and strong vertical lines complement the 1933 Art Deco Style courthouse. The courthouse and fountain were designed by local architect Glen H. Huntington. . . . — Map (db m87600) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Billy Drew Bridge
Near 10th Street 0 miles south of Illinois Street, on the right when traveling east.
(left side) Bridging Our History This bridge is the second Billy Drew Bridge erected on this site. The original Billy Drew Bridge was built in 1976 as part of Golden’s celebration of the Centennial-Bicentennial, the nation’s 200th . . . — Map (db m70396) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Charles E. Kirk
On Lariat Loop Road.
In Memory of Charles E. Kirk, 1900-1981. As Douglas County extension agent (1946-65) Charlie was the motivating force in establishing 4-H in Douglas County. He was respected for his knowledge of Agriculture and admired for his help and belief in . . . — Map (db m46569) HM
Colorado (Kiowa County), Eads — Unity Lodge No. 142, A.F. & A.M.Works Progress Administration
On West 13th Street east of Slater Street, on the left when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m118240) HM
Colorado (Lincoln County), Hugo — Hugo Municipal PoolWorks Progress Administration — 1938 —
On 4th Street (U.S. 287) at 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 4th Street.
. . . — Map (db m118241) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 22 — Danbury Women of Note– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On West Street at Foster Street, on the right when traveling west on West Street.
Throughout its history, countless women have contributed to Danbury and the lives of its citizens. Here are just a few that have left their mark on our community. Mary Bull (1812-1882) dedicated her life to attending the poor and needy of . . . — Map (db m71247) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 17 — Elmwood Park– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Boughton Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
In 1801, Mr. Major Starr donated the land necessary to take a large curve out of Main Street on condition that it serve as a permanent common. To this end, residents from the southern end of the street raised their own funds and created Elmwood . . . — Map (db m71476) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Barton L. Weller
On Monroe Turnpike (Connecticut Route 111) at Church Street, on the left when traveling north on Monroe Turnpike.
May 27, 1991 This gazebo is presented to the citizens of Monroe by the Weller Foundation, Incorporated in memory of Barton L. Weller (1916 – 1990) Mr. Weller, founder of Vitramon, Incorporated and the Weller Foundation, . . . — Map (db m26097) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Fairfield — New Fairfield Fire Department Memorial
On Ball Pond Road (Connecticut Route 39) 0.1 miles north of Gilloti Road, on the left when traveling north.
Upper marker: The New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Department Dedicated To All Members Past and Present 2003 Lower marker: The New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. was formed in 1934 consisting of seven districts – . . . — Map (db m23061) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Michael F. Lione Memorial Park
On Stillwater Avenue at West Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Stillwater Avenue.
Michael F. Lione Memorial Park Large, soft-brown eyes, reverently expressing the simple faith of a little boy; determined countenance and rugged body that bespoke the athlete who never quit; tenderness and compassion without softness and . . . — Map (db m38769) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Albert F. Rockwell
On Jacob Street at Tulip Street, on the right when traveling west on Jacob Street.
Albert F. Rockwell 1862 – 1925 Inventor, manufacturer, public- spirited citizen. He gave to the city this park and contributed liberally to its development. His initiave and counsel were of great value in the civic and . . . — Map (db m34281) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — John Christopher Mack
Near Jacob Street at Tulip Street, on the right when traveling west.
1929 This Tablet is to Perpetuate the Memory Of John Christopher Mack A public spirited citizen who truly loved Bristol the place of his birth. His declining years were spent in California yet his interest in his native town never . . . — Map (db m34282) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Farmington — "American Board"
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 10) at Maple Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Here Was Founded the "American Board" 1810 Oldest U. S. Society For Foreign Missions — Map (db m33014) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Farmington — American Board of Commissioners For Foreign Missions
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 10) at Maple Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
American Board of Commissioners For Foreign Missions Here, on September 5, 1810, in the parsonage of the Reverend Noah Porter, minister of the Congregational Church of Farmington, Connecticut, the American Board Of Commissioners for . . . — Map (db m33015) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Recapture of the Connecticut River
Near Columbus Boulevard near State Street, on the right when traveling north.
Recapture of the Connecticut River 1981 – 1999 Dedicated September 3, 1999 On the occasion of the opening of Riverfront Plaza and Terraces Founders Bridge Promenade and State Street Landing [ left plaque ] A Historic . . . — Map (db m52601) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Theodore Wirth
Near Walbridge Road near Bainbridge Road, on the right when traveling north.
Theodore Wirth Superintendent Hartford Parks 1896 - 1905 Designer 1903 Elizabeth Park Rose Garden To whom this rose bed is dedicated and for whom it will be maintained as long as the park is here and people love roses . . . forever . . . — Map (db m44111) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — William H. Mortensen Riverfront PlazaJuly 15, 1903 - October 6, 1990
Near Columbus Boulevard at State Street, on the right when traveling north.
This plaza is dedicated in honor of William "Bill" Mortensen – whose life is an inspiration to a new generation of Hartford residents. Born in Hartford, Bill Mortensen graduated from Hartford High School, and became one of the city's leading . . . — Map (db m52618) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — William H. Putnam
On Central Row near 800 Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
In recognition of the lasting contribution toward a better life for the People of Connecticut – especially for those of greater Hartford by William H. Putnam With Ability – Courage – Devotion and vision he served his . . . — Map (db m52784) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — City of New Britain Sesquicentennial Anniversary
Near Linwood Street at Grand Street, on the left when traveling north.
City of New Britain Sesquicentennial Anniversary 1850 – 2000 Tree Planting Legacy Project Mayor Lucian J. Pawlak • Honarary Chair Thomas G. Ronalter • Sesquicentennial Chair Aime Brochu • Common Council Majority Leader Geoffrey G. . . . — Map (db m41309) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Cornelius B. Erwin
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Cornelius B. Erwin 1811 – 1885 Cornelius Erwin was one of New Britain's greatest benefactors and an original shareholder in the Walnut Hill Park Company. He built several successful businesses including Russell & Erwin Manufacturing Company, . . . — Map (db m41763) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Darius Miller
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Darius Miller A frugal dry goods merchant who died in 1919 as a multi-millionaire, Miller bequeathed funds to local institutions, including a seventy-five thousand dollar trust to the City of New Britain. He asked that "the income be used and . . . — Map (db m41758) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Elise Traut
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Elise Traut Born in Gotha, Germany, in 1855, Elise Traut started one of New Britain's best traditions – the Christmas Tree in Central Park. Active in community organizations and an avid writer, she resided on Arch Street. In 1912, she . . . — Map (db m41756) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Frederick H. North
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Frederick H. North 1824 – 1907 Frederick North was born in New Britain on August 10, 1824. After graduating from Yale University in 1846, he entered the manufacturing business with his father and later joined with Oliver Stanley and John B. . . . — Map (db m41765) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Frederick Law Olmstead
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Frederick Law Olmstead 1822 – 1903 Landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead, the nineteenth century visionary who founded the profession of landscape architecture, is responsible for the overall design of Walnut Hill Park. Influenced by the . . . — Map (db m41759) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Frederick T. Stanley
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Frederick T. Stanley 1802 – 1883 Frederick Trenck Stanley was an early civic leader and a successful industrialist. The development of Walnut Hill Park arose from one of Stanley's visionary projects, the development of a water works. Stanley . . . — Map (db m41767) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — George M. Landers
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
George M. Landers 1813 – 1895 George Landers, another member of the Walnut Hill Park Company, was a giant among nineteenth century industrialists. Born in Lenox, Massachusetts, he came to New Britain at the age of sixteen and learned the . . . — Map (db m41764) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Henry E. Russell
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Henry E. Russell 1816 – 1893 A member of the Walnut Hill Park Company, Henry Russell was one of New Britain's leading industrialists of the nineteenth century. He is primarily remembered for his partnership in the Russell and Erwin . . . — Map (db m41766) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Original Design of Walnut Hill Park
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Original Design of Walnut Hill Park By Olmstead Vaux & Co. Landscape Architects – 1870 On July 18, 1867 Frederick T. Stanley sent the following letter to Frederick Law Olmstead Dear Sir: A Public park is proposed to be laid out in . . . — Map (db m41374) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Seth E. Case1825 - 1864
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Seth Case was born in Simsbury, Connecticut in 1825 and graduated from Yale College in 1847. he was a successful lawyer in New Britain, was one of the shareholders of the Walnut Hill Park Company, and later became a Judge of Probate for the . . . — Map (db m41761) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — William A. Churchill
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
William A. Churchill William Churchill was one of the ten shareholders in the Walnut Hill Park Company, which was incorporated in 1857 for the purpose of developing a public park. He was one of New Britain's early philanthropists. In addition to . . . — Map (db m41762) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — William B. Stanley
Near West Main Street at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling west.
William B. Stanley William Stanley was one of New Britain's earliest and most progressive manufacturers. Stanley, in partnership with his brother, Frederick Stanley, began the manufacture of door locks in New Britain in 1831 – the first . . . — Map (db m41755) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Plantsville — Southington Recreation Park
On South End Road at Maxwell Noble Drive, on the left when traveling north on South End Road.
Southington Recreation Park 54 Acres Site Purchased 1929 A Civic Project Proposed By Members of The Southington Exchange Club Financed by Voluntary Contribution Of The Citizens of Southington Swimming Pool, Athletic Field And . . . — Map (db m35971) HM

3303 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3103
Paid Advertisement