Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Harrison County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Archaeological Findings Marker in foreground with Weeping Angel statue in background. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
Archaeological Findings Marker in foreground with Weeping Angel statue in background.
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Archaeological Findings
Sadly, Hurricane Katrina in 2005 devastated the Moran Art Studio, but it did allow exploration of the rest of the site. Faculty and students from the University of Southern Mississippi conducted archaeological excavations from 2005 until 2012. In . . . — Map (db m102261) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Back Bay Factories — Historic Biloxi
In 1880, self-made entrepreneurs Lazaro Lopez, F. William Elmer, William Gorenflo, James Maycock, and William K. M. Dukate formed a company that would launch Biloxi's seafood industry. Inexperience did not thwart the partners. Dukate traveled to . . . — Map (db m102241) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Beauvoir
Built 1852-4. Last home of Jefferson Davis, U.S. Senator, Congressman, Secretary of War, and only President of Confederacy. Beauvoir served as a Confederate Veterans' home from 1903 until 1956. — Map (db m92604) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi
Founded by the French as "New Biloxi." Capital of French colony of Louisiana, 1721-1722, prior to French removal to New Orleans. Incorporated as a town in 1850 by the Mississippi Legislature. — Map (db m68449) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — 29 — Biloxi Beach Wade-In — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front On April 24, 1960, Gilbert R. Mason, Sr., M.D., led about 125 volunteers in a peaceful wade-in on segregated Biloxi Beach. Trained in non-violent passive resistance, they expected to be arrested. Instead they were attacked by a . . . — Map (db m122359) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — 108 — Biloxi Blues
Front The Mississippi coast, long a destination for pleasure seekers, tourists, and gamblers, as well as maritime workers and armed services personnel, developed a flourishing nightlife during the segregation era. While most venues . . . — Map (db m90623) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Cemetery — Historic Biloxi
Historians believe that the oldest and southernmost section of the Biloxi Cemetery was the burying place for French settlers during the early 1700s and for generations thereafter. The first officially written record of the land on which the . . . — Map (db m102255) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi City Hall — Historic Biloxi
The City of Biloxi adopted this building as its city hall in 1960, but it was originally built as a combined post office, federal courthouse, and customs house. Federal funds for the construction were secured through the efforts of the Biloxi . . . — Map (db m102246) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi City Park & Welcome Sign — Historic Biloxi
This Biloxi welcome arch originally stood at the northeast entrance of Biloxi's old City Park, which was on the northwest corner of Reynoir Street and south of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad depot. The Biloxi Commercial Club and the City of . . . — Map (db m102251) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Lighthouse
Since its construction in 1848, this cast iron lighthouse has been the landmark for which Biloxi-bound vessels sail. Tended by the Younghans family, father, mother and daughter, from late 1866 until 1929. — Map (db m22778) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Lighthouse
Constructed in sections by the firm of Murray and Hazelhurst of Baltimore, Maryland, the Biloxi lighthouse arrived at this location aboard the brig General North and was erected in 1848. A cast iron sheath lined with locally made brick, the 48-foot . . . — Map (db m95447) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Lighthouse — Historic Biloxi
In 1848, the United States Lighthouse Service erected the South's first cast-iron lighthouse, in Biloxi on a low sandy bluff overlooking the Mississippi Sound. The tower was fabricated by the Murray and Hazelhurst Vulcan Works of Baltimore, . . . — Map (db m102221) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Public Library 1925
This Library erected A.D. 1925 on land donated by Biloxi Circle of The King’s Daughters City Commissioners J.J. Kennedy – Mayor M.R. Michel J.A. Swanzy Library Board E.L. Dukate – Chairman Mrs. H.W. Van . . . — Map (db m118366) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi's Famous Schooner Races — Historic Biloxi
The Biloxi schooner was first and foremost the work horse of the seafood industry, but during the summer off-season it played a role in maritime sport and recreation. As early as the 1830s, Biloxi-built schooners were used for fishing and . . . — Map (db m102248) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Birthplace of Barq's
Barq's root beer was created by Edward C. Barq, Sr. in 1898 and produced on this site until 1936, when the operation moved to Lameuse Street. A Mississippi Gulf Coast favorite, the number of franchise bottlers grew to over two hundred by 1950. . . . — Map (db m68425) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Brielmaier House
This house was built in 1895 for Mrs. Henry Graves and soon sold to her brother, Paul W. Brielmaier. A skilled carpenter who was superintendent and later owner of a local millwork company. Brielmaier may have constructed the house as a showcase for . . . — Map (db m91144) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Cathedral of the Nativity (B.V.M.)
Parent Catholic Parish on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, continuing missions dating back to French Colonial era. First church on this site dedicated 1844. Rebuilt after fire in 1900. Dedicated Cathedral for Diocese of Biloxi 1977. Restored in 1989 . . . — Map (db m22980) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — 21 — Chris LeDoux
(front) Born in Biloxi, Chris LeDoux (1948-2005), the Singing Bronc Rider, pursued dreams of success as both a competitive rodeo cowboy and latter day Western singing star and achieved both. The 1976 World Champion Bareback Bronc Rider . . . — Map (db m79086) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Church of the Redeemer
The Carpenter Gothic style Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, built 1873-74 was located here. Among the church's parishioners was former Confederate President Jefferson Davis. In 1892, a new church, designed by architect Thomas Sully, was constructed . . . — Map (db m102182) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Civil Rights Wade-Ins
On May 14, 1959, April 24, 1960, and June 23, 1963, the Biloxi beach front was the site of planned civil rights wade-ins demanding equal access to the public beach. On April 24, 1960, several citizens, both black and white, were injured and . . . — Map (db m68460) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Coast Guard Station Barracks
Built here in 1934 as part of a U.S. Coast Guard base, the barracks was an E-shaped, Spanish Colonial Revival style building made of reinforced concrete. Arcaded porches lined the building's wings and central pavilion, which had an octagonal . . . — Map (db m102175) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Debuys-Hermann-Keller House
The Greek Revival mansion once located here was a "raised cottage" (meaning it was composed of a frame upper story set upon an above-ground brick basement to protect the wooden portion from moisture and insects.) Probably built ca. 1850 for Peter . . . — Map (db m68423) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Deer Island Coastal Preserve
Through most of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th, Deer Island was owned and occupied by the Baker Family, descendents of Josephus Aiken, who acquired ownership by a patent signed by President James K. Polk. In 1951, Robert D. Sanders, . . . — Map (db m102183) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Downtown Biloxi — Historic Biloxi
The development of downtown Biloxi paralleled the economic growth of the city. Biloxi's first economic boom occurred during the antebellum period when daily stops by a steamboat packet between New Orleans and Mobile turned the small village into . . . — Map (db m102243) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Father Ryan House
Known as the Father Ryan House, the Greek Revival house once located here was built ca. 1840 by Judge W.C. Wade of Natchez. Among the area's first vacation villas, it was sold to New Orleans architect T.W. Carter in 1885, and was altered. It may be . . . — Map (db m115365) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — French Colonial Memorial Garden
In the early 1700's, "New Biloxi" served as a staging ground for thousands of European immigrants brought over to work the inland concessions. This cemetery had first been revealed in 1969 after Hurricane Camille and was fully exposed by Hurricane . . . — Map (db m102260) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — High Water Mark — City of Biloxi, Mississippi — Visitors Center, 1050 Beach Boulevard
This plaque is dedicated to bring awareness to the surge and high water levels from Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Camille. Both storms brought about great devastation and loss of life to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Hurricane Katrina made landfall . . . — Map (db m91142) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — High Water Mark — City of Biloxi, Mississippi — Katrina Memorial, 710 Beach Boulevard
This plaque is dedicated to bring awareness to the surge and high water levels from Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Camille. Both storms brought about great devastation and loss of life to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Hurricane Katrina made landfall . . . — Map (db m102368) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Historic Downtown Biloxi
The development of downtown Biloxi is a direct reflection of the economic growth of the city. During early and mid-19th century homes on small lots and hotels occupied the area. Attracted by the population density, merchants began to establish . . . — Map (db m91146) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Historic Downtown Biloxi Walking Tour
Historic downtown Biloxi has seen many changes over the decades caused by disasters both natural and man-made including fires, hurricanes, and urban renewal. Today visitors will find an eclectic blend of old and new architecture. Downtown includes . . . — Map (db m107244) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Moran Site
Located here was a French Colonial cemetery, now known as the Moran Site. Based on archaeological investigations, the cemetery dates to the founding of "New Biloxy" between 1717 and 1722, and includes at least thirty burials, primarily male . . . — Map (db m68448) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Old Brick House
Site granted by Spanish to Jean Baptiste Carquote in 1790. Residence in Civil War of Mayor John L. Henley, who led defense against Union fleet, Sept., 1861. Restoration by Biloxi Garden Clubs. — Map (db m42855) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Pierre LeMoyne Sieur d'Iberville — 1661-1706
Canada's first hero was sent by King Louis XIV to locate the mouth of the Mississippi River from the Gulf of Mexico. His landing on the Biloxi peninsula in 1699 began the colonization of the Mississippi Coast and the Louisiana Territory. This . . . — Map (db m91140) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Pleasant Reed House
Originally located at 306 Elmer St., the Pleasant Reed House was completed ca. 1887 by prominent African American carpenter and community leader Pleasant Reed. The earliest portion was a one-story, three-room, frame “shotgun" type . . . — Map (db m122360) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Point Cadet — Historic Biloxi
Point Cadet encompasses the eastern tip of the Biloxi Peninsula. "Cadet" (pronounced Ka-day) is the French word for junior or younger. In early records, it is shown as "Point-a-Cadda." Over time it became "Point Caddy." More recently, it has been . . . — Map (db m102249) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Robinson-Maloney-Dantzler House
Originally a raised-cottage Greek Revival mansion similar to Beauvoir, the house located here was built ca. 1849 by J.G. Robinson, a wealthy English cotton planter. It was the center of an estate that included a ten-pin bowling alley, billiard . . . — Map (db m68456) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Sea Turtles of the Mississippi Sound
The waters of Mississippi commonly support three of seven sea turtles species that call the Gulf of Mexico home: the Green (Chelonia mydas), the Loggerhead (Caretta caretta), and the Kemp's Ridley (Lepidochelys kempii). They . . . — Map (db m107243) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Slavic Benevolent Association
Originally on this site was the Slavic Benevolent Association Lodge, a 13,000 sq. ft. structure with a meeting hall accommodating 600 people. Known as the Slavonian Lodge, the building served as a social center for the large number of ethnic Slavs . . . — Map (db m102174) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Evolution of Biloxi Tourism — Historic Biloxi
During the early 19th Century, the Biloxi peninsula was sparsely populated with a few French speaking families. The 1827 establishment of steamboat service between New Orleans and Mobile, via Lake Pontchartrain, served as a catalyst for the . . . — Map (db m102223) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Landing of Pierre LeMoyne D'Iberville — Historic Biloxi
The 17th Century struggle among the French Spanish, and English for supremacy on the North American continent led the Bourbon King of France, Louis XIV to sanction an expedition from France to the Gulf of Mexico in 1698. The command was given . . . — Map (db m102218) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Magnolia Hotel
Built by John Hohn in 1847. Its operation for a century attests to the Gulf Coast as a resort area. In 1972 structure moved to present location 100 yds. north of original site & restored by City of Biloxi. — Map (db m68447) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Memorial Garden
In February, 2012, the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources acquired nearly an acre of land located at 110 Porter Avenue, Biloxi, to preserve a time in history, long forgotten.The remains of 32 French servants were recovered during two . . . — Map (db m102262) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Moran Site History
The Moran Site is a French cemetery dating from ca. 1720-22 and is among the oldest and most significant French colonial sites in the U.S. Human remains near the site were first uncovered in 1914; stories abounded as to the identity of the . . . — Map (db m102257) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Tivoli Hotel
A six-story, blonde-brick structure with an arcaded gallery that wrapped its first story, the Italian Renaissance Revival-style Tivoli Hotel was one of Biloxi's early 20th century resorts, built in 1926-27 to designs by local architect Carl E. . . . — Map (db m68464) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Tullis-Toledano House
One of the most substantial of the vacation houses on the Gulf Coast, the Tullis Toledano House was built in 1856 for New Orleans native Christoval Sebastian Toledano (1789-1869) and his wife, Matilda Pradat Toledano. The estate, composed of a . . . — Map (db m102171) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Vance-Gillis House
Built in the 1830s, the French Creole house once located here incorporated Federal and Greek Revival decorative influences in its design. The gallery completely encircled the house, and its slender, colonnettes supported a broad hipped roof with . . . — Map (db m102173) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — White House Hotel
Established as the White House Inn in 1895, this hotel was first operated as a boarding house by Cora White. By 1910 the White House had grown in popularity and become a tourist destination. The campus encompassed seven residential . . . — Map (db m102179) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — William Bartram Trail
William Bartram, noted naturalist and journalist, traveled down the Mississippi and along the Gulf Coast in 1777. His observations of plant life, geography and inhabitants were published in 1791. — Map (db m79087) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Woolmarket
S. 3 mi. Once center of wool industry. Here on July 16, 1910, three rural schools formed Woolmarket Vocational High School, considered to be the first consolidated high school in the state. — Map (db m20010) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — D'Iberville High School Original Site
In the late 19th Century students were tutored either privately or in academies. In 1885 the village of Lazarus erected the two-room Lazarus School known as Back Bay School, south of Laz Seymour's store and post office. In 1891, 52 students were . . . — Map (db m122436) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi — 1699     1920
This stone marks the site of Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi, the first French settlement in the lower south, established in the name of Louis XIV King of France, by Pierre Le Moyne D'Iberville April 8, 1699. Erected by the . . . — Map (db m122437) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — Harvey's Hill
Before roads and bridges, trading-posts were essential on the Bay Pierre and Celina Harvey built their home on this site, acquired from her father Joe Moran. In the 1830s, along with their children and a black female with child, they completed their . . . — Map (db m122403) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — Santa Cruz Landing
In February 1699, men exploring the Bay under Captain Pierre LeMoyne's command, found no settlements. In the 1720s, one of three colonial brickyards were developed near this site. Dominic Ladner gained title to this section (22) from the Spanish, . . . — Map (db m122402) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — The Crossing
Long before the Europeans appeared on the Biloxi Back Bay American Indians had trails that led to the water's edge, where their canoes were beached for crossings. At the time Biloxi Bay depths were incidental. That changed early in the . . . — Map (db m122439) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — The Five Trails
By 1812, Spain ceded dominion of our Coast to the U.S., adding to the Mississippi Territory. At the time most of north-shore Back Bay Biloxi was settled by three related (Swiss-French) Ladnier families and . . . — Map (db m122431) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — The Land and Legend of the Cross
In February 1699, Pierre Le Moyne (d'Iberville) sent soldiers to explore the Bay of Biloxi. They found no evidence of Indian residence on either side, including what is now D'Iberville. Later, in the 18th century, French-Indian Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m122438) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — The Old Brickyard
In 1721 the French colonial headquarters made its fourth move on the Coast: Old Biloxi to New Biloxi with the intentions of building a permanent fort of bricks. Abundant ideal brick clay, was discovered here, the best of four resource sites. . . . — Map (db m122401) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), D'Iberville — The Quave Commercial Strip
In 1834 Dominique Ladnier sold a strip of land adjacent to the Sanchez strip to Pierre Quave. The most practical location for a town on the Bay was at this strip, because of the Bay channel and its Proximity to the most suitable ferry landing . . . — Map (db m122434) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — 1863 East Pascagoula Raid
The Louisiana Native Guards, composed largely of former slaves and free men of color from Louisiana, were organized by Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler in 1862. On April 9, 1863, 180 men from companies B and G of the 2nd Regiment, landed at . . . — Map (db m102161) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — 24 — Broadcasting the Blues
Front Blues radio took off in the post-World War II era with the arrival of rhythm & blues programming. A new era for blues radio began in 2000 when Rip Daniels, a Gulfport native, launched the American Blues Network (ABN) at this site. . . . — Map (db m80988) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Dr. Felix Henry Dunn
An African American physician, lived and practiced medicine here fron 1953 until 2002. His work to register African American voters provoked repeated death threats and fire bombing of his clinic. He was president of the Gulfport Branch NAACP and . . . — Map (db m102169) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Gulf Coast College
Once located in the Handsboro Community, Gulf Coast College was founded in 1865 by Henry Leinhard as a private coeducational boarding school here on this site. In the early 1890's the college was converted into a public school. After the original . . . — Map (db m81008) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Gulf Coast Military Academy
This preparatory school for boys was founded in 1912. The senior division campus, closed in 1951, is now the site of the Armed Forces Retirement Home-Gulfport, formerly known as the United States Naval Home. The junior division campus, closed in . . . — Map (db m68452) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — 184 — Gulfport Boogie
Front Gulfport was once home to an active blues and rhythm & blues scene, particularly here in the North Gulfport area. Jaimoe, famed drummer with the Allman Brothers Band, was raised in Gulfport, as was the band’s onetime bassist . . . — Map (db m80990) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Gulfport Civil Rights Wade-In
Near this spot on April 17 and April 24, 1960, Gulfport NAACP president Dr. Felix Dunn and his family joined in peaceful "wade-in" demonstrations to challenge the laws denying African-Americans use of the beach. Gulfport police officers removed the . . . — Map (db m68450) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Handsboro
N.1 mi. Founded c. 1800. Famed, 1840-1900, for foundries, sawmills & shipyard; Coast's first newspaper, "Democrat" (1846); and many fine academies. Here Jeff. Davis attended Polar Star Lodge, founded in 1852. — Map (db m81006) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Handsboro Presbyterian Church
Organized November 18, 1877, by the New Orleans Presbytery. The present church building was erected in 1891 on the site of the original building which was destroyed by fire in 1889. — Map (db m81007) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Harrison County Confederate Monument — 1861 — 1865 — Lest We Forget
"In Memory of our Confederate Dead" — Map (db m102155) WM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Kellier-Sternberg House
The Ionic-columned, neoclassical house that once stood here was originally built ca. 1900 by T.G.B. Kellier and was later owned by Edward Sternberg, southeastern claims and litigation manager for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. In 1999, "The . . . — Map (db m68459) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Memorialization of Jefferson Davis
On site of old Harrison County Court House where at age 80 he made this famed speech — To the — young men of Mississippi which stands out as this great American's crowning service to the United States through its . . . — Map (db m81014) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Mississippi City Courthouse
Constructed in 1893 as part of the Harrison County Circuit Clerk's office, the "Old Courthouse," located here, was a two-story, red brick edifice. It was the last remaining structure associated with a complex of courthouse buildings in Mississippi . . . — Map (db m81011) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Old Gulfport High School
The Gulfport High School, built in 1923 by architect N. W. Overstreet, replaced two earlier schools built in 1899 and 1905, both of which burned. Opened in 1924 at a new location on 15th Street, the school was converted to a junior high in 1977 due . . . — Map (db m102167) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Ship Island
12 miles south of the mainland lies emerald waters and sugar white sand. Site of economic and military conquest by the Spanish in the 1500s and the French in 1699, the British in the 1700s, and the Union Army in 1861. Site of Civil War Fort . . . — Map (db m102170) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church, once located here, was organized as a mission parish in 1846. Originally a simple rectangular frame building with twin front doors. The church was altered and enlarged over the years and was moved from its original . . . — Map (db m81009) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — The Magnolia Route
On April 20, 1925, the Magnolia Route opened with a forty-hour, 1,000 mile endurance drive from Gulfport to Chicago. This route was designed to bring more commerce and tourism to Mississippi. — Map (db m80995) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — "Friendship Oak" — 1487 -
I am called the Friendship Oak Those who enter my shadow will remain friends through all their lifetime. — Map (db m122569) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Administration Building
Designed in the Mission Revival style by New Orleans Architect, Rathbone Emile DeBuys and built by Chevally & Fursden Contractors of Gulfport, the Administration Building was one of the first buildings constructed for the Gulf Park College . . . — Map (db m122568) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
Second oldest church in Long Beach. Organized April 24, 1880 as Bethel Baptist Church affiliated with the Hobolochitta Association by Baptist Missionary J.P. Johnston and several members of the "Sunshine Church" (established by R. W. Conn in the . . . — Map (db m122371) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Boggsdale
Thomas Hale Boggs (1914-1972). U.S. Congressman from La. for 28 years, was born in the family home built on this site in 1875. The son of Wm. & Claire Hale Boggs, Rep. Boggs served as House Majority Leader, 1971-72. — Map (db m80996) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — City of Long Beach Centennial 1905-2005
Front First european settlers, Nicholas and Marianne Ladner, built a home in 1788 near Bear Point. Area first called "the chimneys" by coastal mariners after the landmark chimneys on the Ladner home. The village that developed in the . . . — Map (db m81052) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Early Bank and Post Office
Oldest commercial building on Jeff Davis Avenue. Built in 1924 by Hancock County Bank as its second branch. Located in Long Beach primarily to serve this area's growing truck farming industry. Because of the Great Depression, the branch was moved in . . . — Map (db m81049) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Early Long Beach
In 1788, Nicholas and Marianne Ladner became the first Europeans to settle in this area. Their log house, know as "The Chimneys", was used as a navigation point for boats traveling from Mobile to New Orleans. After Nicholas's death, the Spanish . . . — Map (db m81001) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Early Long Beach
In 1788, Nicholas and Marianne Ladner became the first Europeans to settle in this area. Their log house, know as "The Chimneys," was used as a navigation point for boats traveling from Mobile to New Orleans. After Nicholas's death, the Spanish . . . — Map (db m81002) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Friendship Oak
I was a sapling when Columbus sailed into the Caribbean and was fully grown by Napoleon's reign. I am now over five centuries old. I have sheltered Indians, pirates and college students. I am called Friendship Oak. Those who enter my . . . — Map (db m122570) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Gulf Park College
Founded 1921 by Colonel J. C. Hardy Gulf Park College provided unique educational experiences for young women at the secondary and junior college level. The college enjoyed fifty years of operation as an educational institution filled with . . . — Map (db m122384) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Hurricane Katrina / Storm Recovery
Hurricane Katrina Considered one of the three most intense hurricanes to hit the United States. On Sunday, August 29, 2005, the Category 3 storm nearly devastated the City of Long Beach. Storm surge exceeded 28 feet. Six lives lost and 60 . . . — Map (db m122391) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Long Beach Presbyterian Church — Organized April 4, 1909
Organized by Rev. Hervey McDowell, Evangelist for Meridian Presbytery, as a Home Mission church with 17 charter members. Organizational meeting in Methodist Church with services held there until building completed 1912 on site given by . . . — Map (db m122393) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Long Beach Schools
This site given by Harper McCaughan in 1885 for school purposes only. W. J. Quarles began teaching 11 children in his home on Railroad Street (1884-1886). One room wood-frame school erected 1886, enlarged 1887. First brick building built 1906. . . . — Map (db m81000) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Long Beach World War II Monument
Dedicated to the memory of our sons who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II ★ Nathan Y. Conn Edwin B. Davis Harold W. Ervin Thomas J. Gotliboski David F. Hayes O'Nick Nazaretain O. Bernard Reeves . . . — Map (db m122682) WM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Mt. Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church — Organized 1895
Rev. Dan Travis organizing pastor. First church erected in 1895 (Rev. W. H. Walker, pastor) served as both church and school for this community. After storm damage a second church was erected in 1927, School continued in church until 1928 . . . — Map (db m122372) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church
St. Mary's Seminary of Perry County, Missouri, purchased land formerly owned by the Thomas family for a new church in 1904. The church was dedicated and staffed by Vincentian Priests in 1905. St. Thomas the Apostle was established as a parish on . . . — Map (db m81005) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Truck Farming
Arrival of L&N Railroad in 1880's made possible Long Beach's development as a truck farming center. James Thomas and W. J. Quarles in 1884 began truck farm industry by raising and shipping green beans to northern markets. During next 25 years, over . . . — Map (db m81047) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — United Methodist Church — Organized in 1874
Outgrowth of interdenominational Sunday School Class begun by Mrs. Fannie Donavan. Organized as Scott's Station Methodist Church, Rev. Joseph Nicholson first pastor. Land for first church given by Henry Ware in 1879. Only Protestant church . . . — Map (db m122373) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — War Memorial Park
Fifteen Long Beach mothers began meeting weekly in 1942 to pray for their sons and daughters serving in the Armed Forces. They, organized into the Long Beach War Memorial Association in 1945 and began raising money for a memorial. They . . . — Map (db m122378) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — 124 — Blues & Jazz in the Pass
Front The histories of blues and jazz are often traced along separate pathways, but, especially on the Gulf Coast, the two genres were intertwined from the earliest days. Blues was a key element in the music of Pass Christian’s . . . — Map (db m80991) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Constitution of the United States of America
In 1787 delegates from the 13 original states met in Philadelphia and wrote the Constitution at a convention in which George Washington was chosen the presiding officer. — Map (db m81110) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Declaration of Independence
Adopted by the Continental Congress in Philadelphia on July, 4, 1776 The 13 Original Colonies were Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North . . . — Map (db m81113) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Dixie "White House"
Built by John Backe of New Orleans in 1851. Here in 1913 Pres. Woodrow Wilson and family spent winter vacation as guests of the owner, Miss Alice Herndon. — Map (db m80997) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Independence Hall
. . . — Map (db m81115) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Les Palmiers
National Register of Historic Places Built in 1849 for Harold Payne as a four room Coast cottage. Altered and expanded in 1893 and 1904. Abandoned after Hurricane Camille. Bought, restored and expanded in 1989 by Dr. and . . . — Map (db m81054) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Saucier-Bidwell-Pratt House
Side 1 Built ca. 1855 by Pierre Saucier, whose son was later mayor of Pass Christian, the two-story Greek Revival House located here had a central temple-like portico and square-columned galleries spanning its facade, and . . . — Map (db m81033) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Scenic Drive Historic District
Due to the large number of 19th and early 20th century mansions once located here, Pass Christian's Scenic Drive was heralded as "The Newport of the South." Composed of architecturally significant vacation villas set among live oaks, this National . . . — Map (db m81042) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — The Flag of the United States of America
The Stars and Stripes originated as a result of a resolution offered by the Marine Committee of the Second Continental Congress at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and adopted June 14, 1777. — Map (db m81111) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — The Liberty Bell
The bell bears the inscription "Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof." — Map (db m81112) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — The Star Spangled Banner
The National Anthem was written by Francis Scott Key during the bombardment of Fort McHenry Baltimore, Maryland on September 13-14, 1814 — Map (db m81114) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — United States Merchant Marine Academy Cadet Memorial
These grounds, from September 16, 1942 to March 21, 1950, were the site of the Pass Christian United States Merchant Marine Cadet Corps Basic School. From here and the sister school at San Mateo, California, over 6000 undergraduates of the U.S. . . . — Map (db m86086) HM

106 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.