Following the American Civil War and emancipation of slaves in 1865, it was not until 1871 that African Americans in Texas were able to uniformly register to vote, following the ratification of the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. . . . — — Map (db m304441) HM
David Faulkenberry, believed to have been born in South Carolina circa 1795, wed Nancy Douthit in 1814 in Tennessee. The couple had seven children. The family was part of Daniel Parker's Pilgrim Church, an Illinois congregation that came to Texas in . . . — — Map (db m293414) HM
When Groesbeck was founded in 1871, on Houston & Texas Central Railroad, Old Springfield (5 mi. NW) was bypassed. Some Baptists from the church founded there in 1846 moved here. Visited by William Carey Crane, J.B. Link, Z.N. Morrell and other . . . — — Map (db m164699) HM
The Rev. Mordecai Yell conducted the first Methodist worship services in Groesbeck in 1871, the year this congregation was founded. Early worship services were held in a community building on N. Waco Street until the first sanctuary was completed . . . — — Map (db m164698) HM
Built 1834 for protection from Indians. Named for leaders who brought First Predestinarian Baptist Church body to Texas. Elder Daniel Parker, his father, Elder John, brothers Jas. W., Benjamin, Silas, John. Also here were Kellogg, Frost, Nixon, . . . — — Map (db m166812) HM WM
Site of the grave of victims of the massacre at Fort Parker by Comanche and Kiowa Indians on May 19, 1836, in which Cynthia Ann Parker and others were captured.
The trunk of the oak tree under which they were buried still stands, and the grave . . . — — Map (db m159048) HM
Developers established the town of Groesbeck in February 1871, and Groesbeck College opened two months later on Trinity Street. Education for African American children dates from 1881, when trustees bought an acre of land adjacent to the Lone Star . . . — — Map (db m164700) HM
The Grand Masonic Lodge of Texas chartered this lodge June 14, 1872. It was set to labor on July 10, with J. J. Lewis as the First Worshipful Master. Lodge membership has included such distinguished Texans as L. L. Foster (1851-1901), a member and . . . — — Map (db m292082) HM
A state representative, 1885-1886; Speaker of the House, 1885-1886. President of Texas A. & M., 1898-1901. Appointed by Gov. James S. Hogg to newly-formed commission, created to regulate shipping rates and practices. In his term, 1891-1895, . . . — — Map (db m164694) HM
Limestone County was established in 1846. Springfield served as the first county seat, but geographic boundary changes and the burning of the Springfield Courthouse led to the designation of Groesbeck as the county seat in December 1873. Three . . . — — Map (db m164697) HM
Dedicated to the memory of the heroes of Limestone County who gave their lives in defense of their country in the World War
Erected by Sim B. Ashburn Post No. 88 American Legion Nov. 11. 1929 — — Map (db m164696) HM
Established by volunteers in 1846; the sponsoring group formed about 1900. According to legend, a man lost in the surrounding woods named the site when he stumbled onto the prairie. The graves of many early settlers include Azariah G. Moore, a . . . — — Map (db m293350) HM
Daughter of local pioneers, Mr. and Mrs. J. Cull Sanders, and graduate of Kidd - Key College. Married C.D. Kelly in 1910. A Groesbeck Club Woman; served as treasurer, Texas Federation of Women's Clubs, when State Headquarters were being built in . . . — — Map (db m159055) HM
Born in Georgia, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Hawkins, Mary Ellephan Hawkins was married in 1847 in Alabama to William Jay Reeves. The couple and their young children moved to Texas about 1855. While her husband served in Company F, 15th Texas . . . — — Map (db m293355) HM
The stockade-blockhouse fortress that you see here today is a replica of the original fort built in 1834 by eight or nine Illinois families who had come to the Mexican state of Texas in 1832 and 1833. This structure, architecturally, is typical of . . . — — Map (db m186722) HM
Luther Thomas Martin Plummer and his wife Rachel (Parker) arrived in what is now Limestone County in 1834. They received a Mexican land grant for 3,321 acres in this area the next year. In 1836, Rachel, her son James, and her cousin Cynthia Ann . . . — — Map (db m293413) HM
April 8, 1782
An early Ranger in the Texas War for
Independence. Member, Captain Seale's
Company 1835-1836 that was organized
"agreeable to order
from the Council of Texas."
October 15, 1860 — — Map (db m225706) HM
The first known school for Groesbeck's African American community was established about two miles southeast of town in 1882 when land was deeded to the county to be used for educational purposes. When the school district formed in 1890, a new . . . — — Map (db m292083) HM
What is known as Bassett Farms encompasses nearly 2,500 acres of land in Limestone and Falls counties. The 1875 Bassett House and surrounding Bassett Home Place tract represent the core of the property, retained in family hands for over one hundred . . . — — Map (db m293480) HM
The Brown Family Cemetery traces its origin to the settlement of North Carolina native Ervin Brown (1801 1875) and his wife Matilda (1807-1871) in Washington County, Texas. In 1846, Ervin and Matilda moved their family to a 1600 - acre farm, in . . . — — Map (db m159060) HM
By 1861, the Houston & Texas Central Railway (H&TC) extended from Houston to Millican, a distance of 81 miles, but construction was halted during the Civil War. After the war, extension of this important transportation and commerce corridor . . . — — Map (db m293478) HM
The Ebenezer Baptist Church was organized in 1865 to serve the Head's Prairie and Headsville communities. Delegates to the Trinity Baptist Association meeting that year were J. R. Bullard, William Samuel Clark, and Thomas Seale Head, with the Rev. . . . — — Map (db m293423) HM
Settled in 1840s on the Franklin-Springfield and Waco-Marlin stage routes. The post office opened in 1856 with Nathan Gilbert, postmaster. Eutaw Lodge No. 233, A. F. & A. M., was chartered in 1859. Among early settlers were Henry Fox, Allen . . . — — Map (db m293477) HM
James A. Head was a Texas Ranger, veteran of the War for Independence, and Republic of Texas legislator. Born in Georgia in 1797, he moved to Texas in 1835, enlisting at San Felipe de Austin in Silas Parker's ranging company and securing a land . . . — — Map (db m293422) HM
Limestone County historically supported numerous pottery producing kilns. This industry succeeded near area outcroppings of kaolin, or potter's clay within the Wilcox geologic formation. Alberry Johnson began the first county pottery in 1859 near . . . — — Map (db m201961) HM
Bardin King (1819-1891) and Elizabeth Susan Salter (1822-1879) married in Lowndes County, Alabama in 1842. The following year, they traveled west by wagon with their young son William and Susans parents and siblings, settling in Louisiana. Bardin . . . — — Map (db m156969) HM
After evangelist Abe Mulkey led a 1912 Revival at Kosse Methodist Church, City Officials decided to build a Tabernacle to accommodate Kosse's growing religious needs. The frame building, completed that year for $2,000, featured a gable-on-hip . . . — — Map (db m159089) HM
A peace officer 45 years, Mace joined Texas Rangers at age 21. He became Deputy Sheriff in Lampasas County in 1903; later served 12 years as Sheriff. He was President of the Texas Sheriffs' Association, 1920: Chief of Police in oil boom towns of . . . — — Map (db m159005) HM
Set aside by deed in 1898 as a permanent site for celebrating June 19th - the Anniversary of the 1865 Emancipation of slaves in Texas. It was 2.5 miles south of this site that slaves of this area first heard their freedom announced.
Limestone . . . — — Map (db m161560) HM
In August 1935, construction of a state park began here on the former town site of Springfield under the direction of the Civilian Conservation Corps. The group assigned to build Fort Parker State Park was company 3807(C), an African American CCC . . . — — Map (db m161539) HM
Organized Jan. 14, 1872, by the Rev. W. Henry Parks. Some charter members came from Springfield Church (founded 1846), as that town was bypassed by Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1871 and absorbed by Mexia. After meeting at first in a Lodge . . . — — Map (db m159044) HM
Established 1889, in era when Texas looked to Civil War Veterans for State Leadership. One of numerous parks on river banks or other favored sites that drew large, popular annual encampments. Statesmen came to make speeches. There were orations by . . . — — Map (db m161557) HM
Born in Kentucky 1810 A private and captain in the Army of the Republic of Texas, served in the San Jacinto Campaign 1836 Died in Springfield 1860 Erected by the State of Texas 1962 — — Map (db m161537) HM
Agricultural genius, born in Ruelzheim, Rhenish Bavaria, of a family of horticulturists. Educated in Germany. Migrated to New York in 1871 and to Texas 1876. In Limestone County (surrounding this marker site) lay 100 acres of open prairie land which . . . — — Map (db m292086) HM
Built 1876 by Mexia merchant and banker Lewis Philip Smith and his second wife, Mattie J. Beeson Smith. Home site cost $400 in gold in 1868. House has cedar shingle roof, cedar post foundations; 12-light windows; old fashioned weatherboard siding; . . . — — Map (db m294824) HM
One of great free-wheeling oil booms of America -- before proration was enforced. Population in Mexia increased from 4,000 to 50,000 within days after oil discovery in 1920 at Rogers No. 1 Well, located 1.6 miles west of this marker, just off FM . . . — — Map (db m145207) HM
Built opposite public school, for Laura T. Rogers, who (1880- 1920) taught piano and choral music from 7 A.M. To 7 P.M., 6 days a week, 8 months in year. Had 4 pianos used all day; 8 pupils often played in unison. Auditorium, with overflow seating . . . — — Map (db m159003) HM
Named for the large spring on townsite donated Jan. 6, 1838, by Moses Herrin, who gave 4 lots to any person agreeing to settle in the town. 12 families later in 1838 were forced out by Indian hostility. Post office was established in 1846. When . . . — — Map (db m159046) HM
Established as a 10-acre community burial ground in town plat dedicated Jan. 6, 1838, by Moses Herrin. Earliest graves probably never had stone markers because of primitive frontier living conditions. It is recorded that 12 families were driven . . . — — Map (db m161494) HM
The first statewide teachers association in Texas had its beginnings in two regional teachers' organizations. The North Texas Educational Association was begun in Dallas in 1877. Teachers in Central Texas met in Austin in 1879, formed the Austin . . . — — Map (db m158972) HM
Public education efforts for African American students in Mexia began in 1883 with a school on Herman Street. After fire destroyed it, trustees selected this site for a two-story brick schoolhouse built in 1915. T. K. Price was principal at the . . . — — Map (db m293395) HM
This church traces its history to the 1870s, when African Methodist Episcopal Church services were held for Mexia's African American population. The church reportedly was used as a schoolhouse during Reconstruction. The African Methodist Episcopal . . . — — Map (db m293394) HM
In 1906, African American members of three Texas districts within the Primitive Baptist Church expressed a desire to build an institute of higher education for their communities. In 1919, trustees Thornton Carter (1858-1941), Arthur Randolph Foreman . . . — — Map (db m293393) HM
Cumberland Presbyterians began this church in old Springfield (12 mi. SW) early in 1871. After Houston & Texas Central Railroad started the town of Mexia later in 1871, the congregation moved here. It erected a meetinghouse in 1878, and this . . . — — Map (db m158970) HM
Military officer and promoter of Texas Colonization. Served as Secretary of Mexican Legation to United States, 1829-1831. Led victorious Mexia Expedition to expel Centralists in Matamoros. 1832. Mexican senator, 1833-1834; he first supported . . . — — Map (db m159045) HM
Settlers began arriving in this part of Limestone County in the 1850s. Soon Mount Calm community developed with a Masonic Lodge, stores, post office, school, and churches. James Samuel Kimmel, a pioneer settler, donated land for this cemetery, and . . . — — Map (db m161655) HM
In 1854, Ezekiel J. Billington came to this area of Texas from Kentucky with his wife, Kitty Ann and their three children. Billington organized a Baptist Church the following year and named it Mt. Antioch. The six charter members of the Mt. . . . — — Map (db m161648) HM
To the memory of our Confederate defenders, we dedicate this marker on Sunday - October 27, 1996
With respect and pride, we honor their Confederate service during the War Between the States, 1861 – 1865. We remember their gallant . . . — — Map (db m161661) WM
Originally known as Ferguson Prairie, this settlement grew up around the property of Joseph and Hannah Ferguson, who settled here about 1847. Listed on early maps as Ivanhoe, the community name changed following the establishment of a Union Church . . . — — Map (db m293348) HM
Joseph and Hannah (Penrod) Ferguson moved to this area in the 1830s, years before the formation of Limestone County following Texas statehood. Their property, known as Ferguson Prairie, stretched from south of the early Box Church community to . . . — — Map (db m293344) HM
Born May 24, 1811 came to Texas 1833. Served as a volunteer in the Texas War for Independence, in Captain William Ware's Company at San Jacinto. Died April 18, 1885. His wife Barsheda Lindley Sadler born March 5, 1811, died October 17, 1885. — — Map (db m293345) HM
This cemetery began with the burials of Mary C. Justice (d. 1861) and Roland Pair (d. 1865). It is located on land later owned by John Collins Oakes and his wife Winnie (Radford), who migrated here from Perry County, Alabama, in the years following . . . — — Map (db m293359) HM
Behind this marker is the townsite of Personville, begun in 1854 by Benjamin D. Person, Sr. The 1855 postmaster was Wm. Person.
Grayson Masonic Lodge No. 205 was chartered in 1861 and demised in 1889. The Nelleva cut-off, built in 1906, was . . . — — Map (db m293361) HM
This congregation was organized on October 18, 1885, with 12 charter members from the Mount Antioch Baptist Church assisting with the organization and ordination of deacons was Ezekial Jackson Billington (1826-1896), who had been ordained as a . . . — — Map (db m161584) HM
Prairie Hill Baptist Church members built a sanctuary here in 1890 on 3 acres donated by J.R. and Medora Leathers. A portion of the acreage near the sanctuary was set aside in 1894 to establish this community cemetery. The first recorded burial . . . — — Map (db m161585) HM
On October 21, 1881, 15 residents of several neighboring communities in this part of Limestone County met to organize a Baptist church. The Rev. G. L. Jennings served as first pastor. For 14 years, the congregation met for worship in the Shiloh . . . — — Map (db m293412) HM
This replica bell tower is a replacement for the original tower which adorned Texas Hall. Trinity University in the 1880s added the mansard roof and tower to the original 1869 building. Approximately 100 years later the tower was removed while in . . . — — Map (db m304475) HM
Established by the Brazos Synod of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Opened its doors as a co-educational institution September 23, 1869. Chartered August 13, 1870. Included Schools of Law and Theology. Removed in 1902 to Waxahachie. — — Map (db m292071) HM
One of armed men who helped seat 14th State Legislature in 1873 when incumbent Gov. E.J. Davis contested Richard Coke's election.
A member of the Confederate army, he fought throughout the Civil War in Ross' brigade.
Became Limestone . . . — — Map (db m292072) HM
Located at one of highest points (altitude 661 ft.) between Dallas and Houston. First noted in history by Philip Nolan's trading expedition, 1797. Home in early days of Tehuacana Indians, a Wichita tribe, who engaged in farming and peaceful pursuits . . . — — Map (db m92257) HM
This historic graveyard reflects the heritage of Tehuacana, an early Texas town founded in the 1840s by John Boyd (1796-1873). Elected from Sabine County to the First and Second Congresses of the Republic of Texas, Boyd moved to this part of the . . . — — Map (db m292171) HM
Born in Castletown, Marshfield Parish, England, of Welsh parents. In youth spent several years as an apprentice stonemason in Liverpool, England. Came to America in 1870, and to Tehuacana in 1872.
A year later he was given the contract for the . . . — — Map (db m92256) HM
Brinkley Davis and his family, including his daughter Mary Ellen, moved to this area from Indiana in 1833. Brinkley Davis received a land grant of about 4500 acres from the Mexican government in 1835, and the surrounding area became known as Davis . . . — — Map (db m294833) HM
The Richard Eaton family came to Texas in 1833 as members of the Robertson Colony. They moved to this area about 1845 and established a home and farm. The oldest grave in this cemetery, which was established on the family farm, is that of Richard's . . . — — Map (db m293416) HM
The area surrounding this graveyard was known as McKenzie Prairie, named for Joseph S. McKenzie and his family who settled here in 1853. The oldest grave here is that of Elizabeth Etemon and her infant daughter, who died while traveling through the . . . — — Map (db m293418) HM
The Odds community, a dispersed agricultural settlement, was founded upon the arrival of the David Barron family circa 1854. Additional settlers soon arrived in the area, including the John Wilford Erskine family, R. A. McAllister and the William . . . — — Map (db m293341) HM
Dr. J.L. Sansom deeded two acres of land for burial purposes to be known as the Sansom Cemetery. The following names are the ex-service men that fought in the Confederate Army from 1861 to 1865 and are laid to rest in this cemetery.
Dr. J.L. . . . — — Map (db m293419) HM
Dr. J. L. Sansom deeded two acres of land for burial purposes to be known as the Sansom Cemetery 1877. The following names are the ex-servicemen that fought in the Confederate Army from 18611865 and are laid to rest in this cemetery.
Dr. . . . — — Map (db m293420) HM
Located on a tributary of the Navasota River known as Running Branch, this cemetery has been in use since the days of Reconstruction in Texas. Soon after the end of the Civil War, a group of settlers, including Dr. J. L. Sansom, P. K. McKenzie, and . . . — — Map (db m293421) HM
The fine white clay mined near here was used at this shop from the 1840's to 1912 to make pitchers, jars, crocks, churns, flower pots, and ornamental urns, which were used locally and shipped out of county.
In the 1870's the shop, built by . . . — — Map (db m293343) HM
Settlers at the turn of the 20th century educated their children in small schools within walking distance of their homes. Limestone County schools in this area were Union, established in 1895; Independence, 1897; Mount Joy, 1911; and Barnett Prairie . . . — — Map (db m293346) HM
Thornton was established in 1871 by the Texas Central Railroad and had a post office by 1873. By 1880, the town had approximately 200 residents and three churches, as well as several businesses and a Masonic lodge. Early schools included the . . . — — Map (db m292107) HM
Settlement in this area along Steele Creek began in the 1850s. Known by several names over the years including Steele Creek, Tidwell, Shady Grove and Pleasant Grove the community centered around a Methodist church named for the Rev. David J. . . . — — Map (db m293342) HM
176 entries matched your criteria. Entries 101 through 176 are listed above. ⊲ Previous 100