Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Williamson County Texas Historical Markers

230 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 30
 
Andice Baptist Church image, Touch for more information
By Keith Peterson
Andice Baptist Church
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 9029 — Andice Baptist Church
The Rev. Freeman Smalley, one of the first Baptists in Texas, preached in this area about 1850. This church was organized about 1851, meeting in a log schoolhouse built by Joshua Stapp and others, 1854-76; in a new school building, 1876-94; and in . . . — Map (db m2245) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 9094 — Fore Cemetery
Wiley Fore and his family came to this area from Alabama in 1883. The Baker community had been started two years earlier by Fore's nephew, Robert Baker, and his family. Soon after his arrival Fore organized the Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church . . . — Map (db m3562) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 13762 — Rocky Hollow Cemetery
[Original marker text. Marker has been missing since 1997.] In the 1850s, a group of pioneer Black slaves came to this area from Union County, Arkansas, and founded what is now known as the Rocky Hollow Community. This cemetery soon was . . . — Map (db m25317) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 9293 — Site of Loafer's Glory Apostolic Church
Loafer’s Glory Apostolic Church was organized in 1908 after Wesleyan Holiness preacher George Sutton conducted a revival at Loafer’s Glory School on Wilson Atwood’s farm. Beginning in 1909, evangelist Fred Lohmann served as minister and conducted . . . — Map (db m25397) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 13803 — Smart-McCormick Home
Built by Bryce M. Smart (1816-1880), who had a grist mill, tannery, freight line. His children rescued newborn calves abandoned on nearby Chisholm Trail. McCormicks, 5th generation descendants, now own home. — Map (db m24905) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Austin — 13201 — Cedar Chopping in Central Texas
Soon after Texas became a republic in 1836, the government divided land in this area for settlement. Ample timber, fresh water sources and wildlife attracted many to establish communities along Brushy Creek. The Legislature organized these . . . — Map (db m119742) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Austin — 9113 — Jollyville Community and School
This area was first settled in the 1840s by Henry Rhodes. He was soon joined by such pioneers as Elisha Prewitt, who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, and Civil War veterans Elisha Rhodes, J. Bryon Jenkins, and William H. Thompson, whose home at . . . — Map (db m119231) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Austin — 9325 — Pond Springs Community and School
After James O. Rice settled in the 1850s near a spring-fed pond, the area was called “Pond Springs”. By 1854 a log school building was erected near the pond (1 Mi. N) and also served for worship and a social center. Thomas S. Rutledge . . . — Map (db m24934) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9028 — Elisha Allen(December 16, 1813 – March 6, 1893)
A native of Louisiana, Elisha Allen moved with his parents in 1827 to what is now Orange County. When the Texas Revolution began, Allen joined the army and fought at the Siege of Bexar, Dec. 5-6, 1835. He explored the Texas frontier with a survey . . . — Map (db m3208) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9089 — First National Bank of Bartlett
Jesse L. Bailey (1848-1926) and his son Charles C. Bailey (1871-1947) opened a private bank in conjunction with a mercantile business in Bartlett in 1898. J. L. Bailey and Son, Bankers, was replaced by the First National Bank of Bartlett in 1900. . . . — Map (db m25295) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9088 — First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett
Built for congregation originally called Nazareth Church of the Central Texas Presbytery, and constituted on Indian Creek in June 1875. Reorganized here in 1897. Sanctuary erected in 1899. Victorian architecture. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m26048) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9087 — First United Methodist Church of Bartlett
Organized between 1870 and 1875 as the Indian Creek Church, this congregation moved to Bartlett about 1885. Services were held in a store, schoolhouse, and Baptist church before construction of a Methodist church in 1890. Built in 1896, the present . . . — Map (db m26047) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 12304 — Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church
Bartlett was a small farming community in 1898. Black American laborers arrived each fall for the cotton harvest. Thomas Sanders and Nelson Secret and their families called the Reverend F. E. Garrett of Temple to help them establish Mount Arie . . . — Map (db m25424) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 12971 — Site of Bartlett Colored School
The farming community of Bartlett was founded in 1882 when the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad reached the town, which is situated on the county line between Bell and Williamson counties. By 1912, a second railway served the town, and Bartlett . . . — Map (db m24959) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Beyersville — 12371 — Mager Cemetery
Reinhold Mager (1863-1930), a native of Brandenburg, Germany, came to Texas and married Franziska Krueger (1868-1951), a native of the Dessau community in nearby Travis County, Texas. The Magers donated one acre of their 150 acres of land here in . . . — Map (db m4690) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Cedar Park — 9040 — Cedar Park
In 1873, George and Harriet (Standefer) Cluck purchased a large amount of land in this area, which they found to be rich in cedar trees and limestone. Their ranch and home became the central point around which the Cedar Park community developed. . . . — Map (db m71990) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Cedar Park — 9041 — Cedar Park Cemetery
George W. and Harriet Cluck settled in this area with their family in the early 1870s, soon after they returned from a cattle drive on the Chisholm Trail. They built a log home and were instrumental in the community’s development. In 1901, upon the . . . — Map (db m101639) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Cedar Park — 12994 — Champion Cemetery
John (Jack) Champion (1817–1908) was a native of York County, South Carolina. He moved to Texas by 1850, the year he and Naomi Jane Standefer (1834–1862) were issued a marriage license in Williamson County. In 1854, Champion bought more . . . — Map (db m2740) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Cedar Park — 13872 — Cypress School
Neighbors living in a scattered settlement along Cypress Creek known as Cypress Neighborhood joined together to establish a school for their children in the 1860s. A small log schoolhouse was built on a hilltop above the creek. By 1877 the students . . . — Map (db m79647) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Cedar Park — 14310 — Granite for the State Capitol
In the 1880s, the arrival of the railroad helped develop western Williamson County and contributed to the construction of a new state capitol. When quarried limestone proved deficient for the new statehouse, contractors chose granite from Burnet . . . — Map (db m25938) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Cedar Park — 9311 — New Hope First Baptist Church and Cemetery
Although Baptist worship services may have been conducted in this area as early as 1848, this church was not formally chartered until 1868. On October 22 of that year the organizational meeting was held in the home of James M. and Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m101640) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Cedar Park — 13894 — Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Burial Site
In this vicinity is a prehistoric archeological site discovered in 1973 by a team of Texas Highway Department archeologists. Scientific excavations have produced evidence that the site was a major camping ground for prehistoric peoples, particularly . . . — Map (db m69215) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Circleville — 9045 — Cotton Cards Factory
Near this site in 1862-65. Used power from the San Gabriel River. Chartered by Confederate Texas during re-tooling of agricultural economy to meet demands of the Civil War years. Because trade of bales of cotton for finished cloth was no longer . . . — Map (db m2644) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Circleville — 9306 — David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin House
Built 1850 by David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin, born in Tennessee, came to Texas 1828; fought in Battle of San Jacinto. House has 27” native stone walls. By its cool, perpetual spring, Confederates camped on way to Civil War. — Map (db m28819) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Coupland — 9335 — St. Peters United Church of Christ
This congregation was organized in 1894 by German and Swiss immigrants. Originally known as St. Petri Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde (St. Peters German Evangelical Church), the congregation built this vernacular Gothic Revival sanctuary in . . . — Map (db m25177) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Coupland — 9102 — United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton
An outstanding patriot who acted as Secretary of War and Marine in Republic of Texas and later served the state in many roles, Morgan Hamilton in 1837 obtained a 1009-acre land grant in this area. While his brother A.J. Hamilton was Governor . . . — Map (db m24917) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Elgin — 13604 — Post Oak Island Lodge #181, A.F. & A.M.
Settled as early as the 1840s, Post Oak Island was one of this area’s earliest communities. There, on September 15, 1855, I.J. Kidd, T. Gatlin, P.A. Middleton, M. Gardner and A.S. Harper established a Masonic lodge. On February 2, 1856, the lodge . . . — Map (db m25033) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Elgin — 12309 — Type Cemetery
The earliest Anglo settlers of this area came to the vicinity in the 1840s. They called their community Post Oak Island for an isolated oak grove between Bastrop and Circleville. Many of these pioneers had moved on by the time Swedish and Danish . . . — Map (db m25511) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Florence — 9084 — Early Church
On land given March 8, 1845, by John C. Caskey for cemetery and meeting house. Originally 2-story, the native stone structure is believed to have been built before 1855, financed by J. W. Atkinson and Dr. O. Benedict. In that era it housed a school, . . . — Map (db m3096) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Florence — 12417 — First Baptist Church of Florence
Settlers in the farming and ranching community of Florence gathered in April 1856 to hear the Rev. Robert Hay Taliaferro (1824-1875) preach and help them formally organize a church. Originally known as the Baptist Church of Christ, the congregation . . . — Map (db m3303) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Florence — 14355 — First United Methodist Church of Florence
In 1856, Florence was a small settlement of log cabins and a store or two. It also has a stone building (300 ft. ESE), used as a church and meeting place, on land donated in 1845 by John C. Caskey. Before that time, settlers worshiped in homes and . . . — Map (db m25070) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Florence — 9257 — Lawler Community
      Founded before mid-1800s. Named for early settler L. T. "Uncle Lee" Lawler. Beloved by citizens, for years he leased land free to community for school, church, and cemetery.       First school, named for Edward Stevenson (land donor) . . . — Map (db m4456) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9338 — A. W. Sillure House
Built in 1912 for Alexander W. and Eva Sillure, this house is representative of the city’s early 20th-century architectural heritage. Sillure, general manager and vice president of the Belford Lumber Company, personally supervised construction of . . . — Map (db m42336) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Amos-Godbey House
Built in 1909 by the C.S. Belford Lumber company, this was originally the home of Southwestern University German professor Martin C. Amos (d. 1911) and his family. It was later purchased by another member of the university faculty, chemistry . . . — Map (db m25951) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9039 — Burcham House
Designed by noted Austin architect Charles H. Page, this home was built for the family of Georgetown dentist William Joseph Burcham (1876–1932) in 1908–09. Both Dr. Burcham and his wife Mayme (1882–1962) were civic and cultural . . . — Map (db m2544) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13876 — C.A.D. Clamp(1827–1915)
Christian Augustus Daniel Clamp was born in Thorn, Prussia (now Torun, Poland). He came to Texas in 1846 and moved to Georgetown in 1851, a year after his marriage to Asenath C. Davis (d. 1917). A skilled carpenter and cabinetmaker, Clamp became one . . . — Map (db m2562) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13699 — C.B. and Lilburn Atkinson House
Belford Lumber Co. built this house in 1915 for real estate businessman Charles Byron Atkinson and his wife, Lilburn (Dimmit), daughter of a prominent local family. C.B. died at the age of 35, five years after its completion. Lilburn later . . . — Map (db m42433) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13444 — C.C. and Mattie Hughes Cody House
Georgia native Claude Carr Cody (1854–1923) worked at Southwestern University for 37 years, serving as a mathematics professor and university administrator. He was known as the “Grand Old Man of Southwestern.” He wed Martha . . . — Map (db m42430) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13898 — Chief Justice John Edward Hickman(1883 - 1962)
A distinguished chief justice of the Texas Supreme Court, and a native of Williamson County. Descendant of 1849 settlers from Alabama, he was a son of Nathaniel Franklin and Mary J. Porterfield Hickman. He attended the Liberty Hill Normal . . . — Map (db m4764) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Cooper Sansom House
The Belford Lumber Co. built this home in 1910 for local attorney Cooper Sansom (1863–1928). A former newspaperman, Sansom served as city attorney and later as state representative and district judge. An active civic leader, he was also . . . — Map (db m2824) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13674 — David Love Store
South Carolina native David M. Love (1821–1892) was an early settler of Wiliamson County. He was engaged in farming and ranching before moving to Georgetown in the 1860s. A prominent local business leader, he had this Victorian commercial . . . — Map (db m2905) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Easley Home
A native of South Carolina, Samuel Allen Easley (1851–1933) came to Texas with his parents at the age of one. They settled on a large amount of acreage along the San Gabriel River in Williamson County. After managing the family farm for much . . . — Map (db m3160) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13893 — Emzy Taylor(1841–1895)
Arkansas native Emzy Taylor clerked in his father's Georgetown square mercantile store before serving as a Confederate Captain in the Red River valley during the Civil War. He married Margaret Henderson in 1864 while on furlough and after the war . . . — Map (db m119874) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13925 — Evangelical Free Church
Swedish immigrant settlers in Williamson County met together in homes for worship services as early as 1884. In 1891 this congregation was organized in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sven Peterson by 21 charter members. Known as Brushy Evangelical Free . . . — Map (db m119879) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13603 — Farmers State Bank Building
The Merchants and Farmers Bank began in 1898 and incorporated as Farmers State Bank in 1905. In 1910, bank officers contracted for the building of a new bank onto existing commercial property at this site. Construction was finished in 1912. In the . . . — Map (db m3265) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 18204 — First Baptist Church Georgetown
In the early years of Georgetown, Baptist preachers, including Reverend George W. Baines, conducted worship services in people’s homes. Because of the booming population, there was a need for the Baptists to have a place of worship. The First . . . — Map (db m119873) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — First Presbyterian Church
The Rev. William Mumford Baker presided over this congregation’s organization in 1854 at the Round Rock home of Richard and Mary Agnes (Cooper) Sansom. By 1856, the church was meeting in Georgetown, where C.A.D. Clamp deeded a site (at 4th and . . . — Map (db m3488) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9090 — First United Methodist Church of Georgetown
Founded in 1849 as Georgetown Mission, organized 1874 but still served then by circuit riders. This church acquired a resident pastor in 1879. Original building was erected in 1881-82 on the Southwestern University campus. The present church . . . — Map (db m114190) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13924 — Founding of Georgetown
According to local tradition Williamson County's first six commissioners met here under a stately oak tree in May 1848 to choose a location for the county seat. George Washington Glasscock, Sr., later joined them and offered to donate land he owned . . . — Map (db m3944) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9328 — G.W. Riley House
Built 1872 by the Rev. S. J. Lane, chaplain, Southwestern University; founder, First Methodist church, Georgetown. Bought 1903 by the Rev. George W. Riley (1853-1925), a grandson of Llano County Indians' 1859 victim, the Rev. Jonas Dancer. G. W. . . . — Map (db m3952) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9111 — George Irvine House
Scottish native George Irvine (1841-1936) built this two-story frame home for his family in 1886. The founder of the Irvine Brothers Lumber Co. (later the Belford Lumber Co.), Irvine was a civic leader who served on the school board, the city . . . — Map (db m4004) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 14990 — George Washington Glasscock, Sr.
In Memory of George Washington Glasscock, Sr. For whom the city of Georgetown and the County of Glasscock, Texas are named. Born in Kentucky April 11, 1810. Participated in the Black Hawk War, 1832 Came to Texas in 1834 and . . . — Map (db m25954) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13918 — Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall
Designed by C.I. Belford and constructed in 1892 by C.W. Schell, this building originally housed the mayor's office, city council chambers, city jail, fire department, and the Georgetown Water Co. Over the years, it also has served as a meeting . . . — Map (db m4035) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9098 — Georgetown High School Building
Built in 1923-24 on the original site of Southwestern University, this structure served as Georgetown High School for over fifty years. Designed by Austin architect Charles H. Page and exhibiting influences of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of . . . — Map (db m4059) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13874 — H. C. Craig Bulding
Built in 1903, this ornate Victorian structure originally housed the furniture store of Hugh Clifford Craig (1850-1938). Craig sold his business to local competitor W.H. Davis in 1906, but retained ownership of the building. In 1936, after the Davis . . . — Map (db m25036) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9103 — Harrell-Stone House
Built about 1895 for lumberman Henry W. Harrell, this Victorian house resembles others erected in this neighborhood by the C. S. Belford Lumber Co. It was sold in 1907 to storekeeper W. F. Magee. In 1937 the structure was purchased by Judge Samuel . . . — Map (db m4220) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Inner Space Cavern(Laubach Cave)
Discovered in May 1963 on land of W.W. Laubach by core-drilling team, Texas Highway Department. Exploration began in November 1963 and continues to present. Carved by water from Edwards Limestone, cave lies along the Balcones fault and is . . . — Map (db m69258) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13871 — Iota ChapterKappa Sigma Fraternity
The Iota Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity was chartered at Southwestern University on October 12, 1886. Iota became an official chapter on October 15, 1886, following the initiations of Iverson B. Lane, Jesse C. Baker, Jasper B. Gibbs, and John . . . — Map (db m4345) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9297 — J. A. McDougle Home
One of the many fine structures erected by C. S. Belford Lumber Co., this house was built in 1895 for grocer J. A. McDougle (d. 1939). the Victorian styling included ornate stained glass windows. The home was bought in 1901 by John R. Allen and in . . . — Map (db m4346) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — James B. Williams(1821-1891)
A pioneer of this region. Born in Madison County, Ky. With bride, Sarah Coffey, came to Texas in wagon train led by his father, Isaac, and including brothers David, John R., Kelse, and other kin. Moved to Berry’s Creek area on Dec. 24, 1848. Served . . . — Map (db m4361) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9042 — Jesse Cooper House
Tennessee native Jesse Eugene Cooper (1855–1944) came to Texas in 1876. The following year he helped establish a Georgetown newspaper, the “Williamson County Sun.” In addition to his role as editor, he also founded a local bank and . . . — Map (db m4375) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13878 — Jessie Daniel Ames(1883–1972)
A native of Palestine, Texas, Jessie Daniel came to Georgetown in 1893. She graduated from Southwestern University in 1902. In 1904 she moved to Laredo, where she married Roger Post Ames (d. 1914), an Army surgeon. They were the parents of three . . . — Map (db m101250) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13877 — John Berry, Frontiersman(1786–1866)
A native of Kentucky and veteran of the War of 1812, John Berry moved in 1816 to Indiana. In 1827 he brought his family to the Atascosito District of Texas. Mexico awarded him lots in Liberty and Mina (Bastrop) when those towns were founded. . . . — Map (db m101249) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — John McQueen TaylorApril 24, 1812 – March 14, 1887
Tennessee native John McQueen Taylor came to Texas with his family in 1829 as a settler in the Empresario Grant of Lorenzo de Zavala. Taylor fought in the Anahuac disturbances of 1834 and later, as a soldier in the Texas army, he participated in the . . . — Map (db m23483) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12301 — Jonah Cemetery
Jonah Cemetery was established in 1902 when community leaders J. M. Barrington, W. S. McMakins, C. Brady, A. J. McDonald, and R. H. Northcutt purchased two acres near the San Gabriel River to be used as a cemetery. Burials were free to area . . . — Map (db m4407) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13919 — Judge Greenleaf Fisk — (May 19, 1807 – Jan. 26, 1888)
Born in Albany, New York, Greenleaf Fisk was the son of a Presbyterian minister. He began preparation for the ministry himself but left his studies to migrate to the Texas frontier. In 1834 he settled in Bastrop. There he joined a company of . . . — Map (db m4408) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13558 — Judge Harry N. Graves
Born April 4, 1877 in La Vernia (Wilson County), Harry Graves attended Southwestern University in Georgetown and later served three terms as city attorney. As Williamson County attorney, he aided the prosecution in a landmark trial against the Ku . . . — Map (db m42431) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 16261 — Ku Klux Klan Trials
In the 1920s, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) was a nationwide organization that openly preached white supremacy and hatred for blacks, Jews, Catholics, and immigrants. In Texas, Klan membership peaked in 1923 with upwards of 150,000 members. Klansmen . . . — Map (db m85271) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13916 — Lesesne-Stone Building (The KGTN Building)
This limestone commercial structure was built in 1884 to house the Sanders & Lesesne Drugstore. It remained in use as a pharmacy for the next 76 years. William D. Nichols operated the drugstore from 1887 until 1892. In that year, Dr. Thomas B. Stone . . . — Map (db m4531) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13873 — M.B. Lockett Building
Located on the site of an 1840s store, this structure was built after the Civil War. In the 1880s it housed the mercantile firm of Rucker & Montgomery. Ohio native Melville Beveridge Lockett opened his store here in 1889 and remodeled the building . . . — Map (db m4608) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Macedonia Baptist Church
The earliest worship services of this congregation were held in 1881 under a back yard arbor at the home of Matilda Lewis. Nine families, including those of Robert Lewis, W. Stevenson, Wiley Cleaveland, George Ross, Esaw Beard, Kissiah Jefferson, . . . — Map (db m4681) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9307 — Mankins Crossing(100 yards west)
This historic crossing on the San Gabriel River was named for pioneer settler Samuel Mankins, who purchased land along the river in 1849. The limestone bed in the river provided a convenient crossing for area farmers. A nearby community included a . . . — Map (db m4691) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9340 — Marsh F. Smith House
This Foursquare house was built in 1908 by the Belford Lumber Co. for Marsh Fawn Smith (1875-1961), operator of a local cottonseed oil mill, and his wife Jessie (Cooper) (1879-1963). Smith served as mayor of Georgetown from 1926 to 1946, important . . . — Map (db m4710) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 16262 — Negro Fine Arts School
Twenty years before the integration of the Georgetown public school district, a progressive music professor and her three students embarked on a program to explore a new musical teaching theory and give African American children a chance to learn . . . — Map (db m87587) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9314 — North Fork of the San Gabriel River
The North Fork of the San Gabriel River, part of the Brazos River system, flows east across Williamson County to join with the Middle and South forks at Georgetown. Abundant fish and wildlife attracted numerous Indian tribes to the areas along the . . . — Map (db m4801) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13920 — Old Dimmitt Building
Associated with Texas pioneers, businessmen, statesmen, writers. Erected 1901 as a hotel by P.H. Dimmitt & Co. Later occupied by mercantile stores -- meeting place for families and friends from Williamson County communities. Georgetown's first movie . . . — Map (db m4832) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Old Georgetown Cemetery
This site on the south bank of the South San Gabriel River, a portion of the land donated by George W. Glasscock in 1848 for the county seat of Williamson County, was used as a burial plot from 1840 to 1902. Many pioneer citizens lie buried here . . . — Map (db m4908) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9341 — Original Site of Southwestern University
The Methodist church established four colleges in Texas prior to the Civil War: Rutersville College (1840), Wesleyan College (1844), McKenzie Institute (1848), and Soule University (1856). The Rev. Dr. Francis Asbury Mood (1830-1884) was named . . . — Map (db m4909) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9370 — Page-Decrow-Weir House
Built in 1903, this house was owned by a succession of area ranchers. J.M. Page had the home built for his family, but sold it to his brother-in-law Thomas Decrow in 1903. The home was purchased in 1920 by Horace M. Weir, and in the 1930s a polo . . . — Map (db m34526) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Pennington Family Cemetery
Born in Fannin County, Texas, during the Republic of Texas period, John Parker Pennington (1840-1904), lived as a young man in Arizona territory. As a member of one of the first families to settle in the territory he survived several deadly . . . — Map (db m25172) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12305 — Railroad Produce Warehouse
Built in 1904 by William Pearce to provide storage space for a wholesale grocery company, this building was part of a larger industrial complex. A number of buildings were constructed along nearby railroad lines, including an ice plant and bottling . . . — Map (db m24955) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 14595 — Robert Jones RiversIn Memory Of
Pioneer, patriot, lawyer, and orator. Born in Virginia in 1806. Died in Georgetown December 14, 1854. His eloquence protected the helpless; his wit charmed all. — Map (db m73880) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12306 — San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A.F. & A.M.
Organized in 1851, three years after the creation of Williamson County, San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 was chartered in January 1852 with John T. Cox, a Methodist minister from South Carolina, as Worshipful Master. The lodge grew rapidly with the new . . . — Map (db m24956) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12307 — San Gabriel Park
The land and springs around this site made it a favored camping site for local Indian tribes for centuries before the Spanish discovered it. Raids, drought and conflict led the Spanish to abandon the area in 1756. The Mexican state of Coahuila and . . . — Map (db m25215) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13882 — Shafer Saddlery
On site of cabin used (1848) as first county courthouse. This frontier saddlery, erected 1870 of hand-cut limestone by John H. Shafer, had living quarters upstairs. Since 1872 occupants have been attorneys, a newspaper, and many other . . . — Map (db m25056) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12302 — Site of Marshall-Carver High School
The first school for African American students in Georgetown was established in the early 20th century. Called “The Colored School,” the institution served grades 1 through 8 and provided the only local educational opportunities for . . . — Map (db m25423) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9309 — Site of Neusser (Naizerville)
Moravian immigrant Johann Neusser came to Texas in 1872 and settled in Fayette County. In 1881, he and a number of fellow immigrants moved their families to this area. The Georgetown and Granger Railroad Company built a line through Neusser’s land . . . — Map (db m25399) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13896 — Southwestern University
Mother of all Texas colleges and universities. Absorbed charters of Rutersville College, Fayette County (1840), and Wesleyan Male and Female College, San Augustine (1844), chartered by the Republic of Texas; McKenzie College, Clarksville (1848), and . . . — Map (db m25322) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9342 — Southwestern University Main Building
Oldest structure on permanent campus. Planned 1895-97 as chapel, library, classrooms, offices, when the regent (president) was Dr. J.H. McLean (1838-1925); built 1898-1900 under regent R.S. Hyer (1860-1929). From throughout the state came building . . . — Map (db m24947) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 15064 — St. John’s Cemetery
This burial ground is located on the site where the first Swedish Methodist church in the Brushy Creek area was located. In the early 1870s, Swedish immigrants began to settle in this area and by the early 1880s, Pastor C.C. Charmquist and residents . . . — Map (db m25943) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13923 — St. John’s United Methodist Church
As early as 1871, pioneer Swedish settlers near Union Hill (4 mi. S), also known as the Brushy area, were holding Methodist worship services in homes. In 1882 they formally organized as a Swedish Methodist Episcopal church. The congregation moved to . . . — Map (db m25503) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13881 — Steele Store - Makemson Hotel Building
Built about 1870 by M.E. Steele on the site of an early log hotel, this is one of Georgetown’s oldest commercial structures. During Steele’s ownership it housed a mercantile and a bank. Emma Dickman Makemson later operated a hotel here from the . . . — Map (db m43032) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9362 — Texan Santa Fe Expedition
A dramatic chapter in administration (1838-1841) of Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar. Aware of United States – Mexico commerce crossing Texas by the Santa Fe Trail near the Canadian River, President Lamar sought similar trade . . . — Map (db m25210) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9049 — The Double File Trail (Georgetown)
Laid out about 1828 by Delaware Indians, “The Double File Trail” got its name because two horsemen could ride it side by side. The Delawares carved this trace migrating ahead of expanding white settlements. They moved from what they . . . — Map (db m24915) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — The Woman’s Club of Georgetown
In 1893 Lula Holland Leavell (1854-1895) and her daughters, Blanche and Kate, hosted a literary reading for a group of Georgetown women. That year the group formed a women’s literary club. In 1897 the club was named the “Initial History . . . — Map (db m28810) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13897 — W.C. Vaden House
Prominent local builder Charles S. Belford completed this home for Wesley Carrol Vaden and his wife Kate (Lockett) in 1908. Eclectic in design, the residence features Queen Anne styling with classical influences favored by Vaden, a Virginia native . . . — Map (db m24913) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9318 — W.Y. Penn Home
This house was erected in 1895 for William Y. Penn (1860-1951), a local merchant who also served as city alderman and mayor. Like several other Victorian homes here, it was built by C.S. Belford Lumber Co. In 1907 the structure became the residence . . . — Map (db m87739) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13895 — Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church
This congregation was organized in 1869 by the Rev. Richard Robert Haywood, an early Texas missionary in the African Methodist Episcopal church. Trustees of the church bought land at this site in 1881, and worship services were held in a small . . . — Map (db m43062) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 15002 — William Cornelius Dalrymple(August 3, 1814 – March 29, 1898)
North Carolina native William Cornelius Dalrymple served in the Texas Revolutionary forces and as a Texas Ranger during the 1830s. He married Elizabeth Wilbarger in Bastrop County, Texas, in 1840, and settled on the San Gabriel River in 1846. He . . . — Map (db m25554) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13879 — Williamson County
Created March 13, 1848, and organized by a special committee approved by Gov. George T. Wood and the 2nd Legislature of the State of Texas, with Georgetown designated as county seat. The county was named for Robert McAlpin Williamson (nicknamed . . . — Map (db m24954) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13880 — Williamson County Courthouse
Completed in 1911, this is the fifth courthouse to serve the citizens of Williamson County. It was designed by the Austin architectural firm of Charles H. Page & Bro. Although some of the building's detailing was removed in the 1960s, it remains a . . . — Map (db m25038) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 14481 — Williamson County Jail
In continuous use since 1888. Native limestone. Cost $22,000. Replaced 1848 frame jail, at grand jury request. Financed without a bond issue. French Bastille styling, unchanged in remodeling, at cost of $40,000 in 1934. — Map (db m25548) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13875 — Williamson County Sun
First published on May 19, 1877, the “Williamson County Sun” was founded by Jessie E. Cooper (1855-1944). In its first century of operation, the “Sun” initiated numerous civic projects, such as the building of the first . . . — Map (db m25319) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 15009 — XI Chapter Kappa Alpha Order
This fraternity was founded in 1865 by former Confederate soldiers at Washington College in Lexington, Virginia, during the administration of Robert E. Lee. XI Chapter was founded at Southwestern University on November 28, 1883, by Alexander S. . . . — Map (db m24963) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12308 — A. A. & Mary Spacek House
Designed by Architect William Flick, this house was built between 1921 and 1923 for Arnold Adolph (A. A.) Spacek and his wife Mary Julia (Cervenka). A. A. Spacek (1896-1952) was a locally prominent grocer, banker and merchant who also served as . . . — Map (db m2184) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12426 — Brick Streets in Granger
Area landowners A. S. Fischer and W. C. Belcher platted the townsite of Granger in 1884, in anticipation of its potential to develop along the rail line that had been laid two years previously. The town plan called for a 100-foot-wide main street, . . . — Map (db m2497) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 13614 — Friendship Community
Beneath the waters of Granger Lake, constructed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers in the 1970s, lies the site of an early agricultural settlement known as Allison and later as Friendship. Brothers Elihu Creswell Allison and James A. Allison began . . . — Map (db m28818) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9099 — Granger Brethren Church
Czech Protestant immigrants began settling in this area in the early 1880s. Many of them established family farms in the rich farmland surrounding Granger. The Czechs first organized worship service was held in a schoolhouse east of town in the . . . — Map (db m4114) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9100 — Granger City Hall(Farmers State Bank)
Erected in 1908-09, this building originally housed Farmers State Bank, the second banking institution founded in Granger. The bank closed in 1926 and the building became the Granger City Hall in 1929. An architectural hybrid of the late 19th . . . — Map (db m4150) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9101 — Granger High School
Established in 1887, the Granger Common School District built three earlier school buildings (1887, 1906 and 1914) on this site before this structure was erected in 1924-25. A good example of institutional design of the period, the building features . . . — Map (db m4172) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9294 — Macedonia Cemetery
According to local tradition a congregation known as the O'Possum Creek Church built an all-faiths sanctuary in this area as early as 1858. During the 1860s the Macedonia community began to develop as English and German immigrants settled in the . . . — Map (db m4682) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9333 — Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
The Czechs/Moravians who settled here in the early 1880s initially worshiped in each others' homes or traveled 12 miles to Taylor, site of the nearest Catholic church. As their informal congregation grew so did the community of Granger. In 1891 they . . . — Map (db m25175) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12480 — Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School
In 1899, eight years after the founding of Saints Cyril and Methodius Church, its Czech/Moravian parishioners established a school for their children. In 1901 the sisters of divine providence began their long affiliation of providing teachers for . . . — Map (db m116918) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12918 — Site of Moravia School
In the mid-nineteenth century, Moravian immigrants began moving into central Texas, attracted by fertile soils and the hope for better lives. One who settled here was Pavel Machu (1834-1907), a native of the Vsetin Valley in what is now the Czech . . . — Map (db m25469) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9372 — Young House
Constructed in 1901 for the A.A. Young family, this residence exhibits elements of the Classical Revival and Beaux Arts styles of architecture. Its eclectic details and architectural features include large dormers, decorative balustrades and . . . — Map (db m25510) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9106 — Hutto
Located near Shiloh, one of the earliest villages in Williamson County, this area was settled in 1855 by J. E. Hutto (1824-1914) and Adam Orgain, a former slave. Hutto sold land for this townsite to the International & Great Northern . . . — Map (db m114953) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9107 — Hutto Baptist Church
Hutto Baptist Church was formally organized in 1882. Served by ministers Abram Weaver and Joseph Gronde, the congregation met in the local schoolhouse until a sanctuary was constructed in 1883. Destroyed by a storm in 1886, it was rebuilt twice . . . — Map (db m25947) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 13477 — Hutto Cemetery
T.A. Boatright buried a family child and her husband, E.B., here in the late 1880s when the site was known as Elmwood Cemetery. In 1889, she bought land here from C.P. and Julia Crews. Several graves already existed in addition to those of her . . . — Map (db m4299) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9108 — Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church
Lutheran church services in Hutto can be traced to 1890, when ministers M. Noyd and Gustav Berglund of the Palm Valley Lutheran Church at Brushy (now Round Rock) conducted occasional services for the area's rapidly growing Swedish population. In . . . — Map (db m4300) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 13246 — Hutto Lutheran Cemetery
In 1892, several Swedish immigrants who had settled in the Hutto area established the Swedish Lutheran Evangelical Church. In 1894 a tornado destroyed the first sanctuary, built by members on Short Street. After utilizing a second church building . . . — Map (db m42427) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9109 — Hutto United Methodist Church
This church was formed from two earlier congregations that worshiped in this area. In the late 1870s an American Methodist fellowship began meeting in the Shiloh Schoolhouse (3 mi. SE). They later shared the building of the Hutto Cumberland . . . — Map (db m25949) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 12829 — Klattenhoff House
German native William Klattenhoff (1855–1928) immigrated to Texas in 1872 at age 17. His work on the International and Great Northern Railroad brought him to Hutto, where he purchased land in 1876. Upon his marriage to Alvina Plattow . . . — Map (db m4441) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 12303 — Monodale Community
When Texas was readmitted to the Union in 1870, the land in this area was owned by three families, including that of nationally known political statesman Edward Mandell House. Known as Stringtown, the area was so well populated by 1893 that House . . . — Map (db m4738) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9312 — Norman's Crossing
The settlement of Avery was established in the mid-1800s by Daniel Kimbro, veteran of the Mexican War and Williamson County pioneer. The small farming community later was known as Norman’s Crossing after pioneer M.B. Norman (1856-1921) who came to . . . — Map (db m25418) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9336 — Saul Cemetery
The Saul family settled along Brushy Creek in Williamson County about 1850. One brother, Charles Saul (b. 1818), bought this 640-acre tract in 1862. This part of the ranch was first used as a family burial ground upon Charles’ death on June 22, . . . — Map (db m25506) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 15934 — Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery
The community of Shiloh dates from 1848, when both Nelson Morey and Josiah Taylor established stores in this area. Shiloh spread along the banks of Brushy Creek near Wilbarger Crossing, which was later called Shiloh Crossing and Rogan Crossing. The . . . — Map (db m25950) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jarrell — 14014 — Corn Hill Community
Settled primarily by settlers from Texas and the southern states, Corn Hill was one of the earliest communities in Williamson County. John E. King, county judge from 1858 to 1860, named it for the home he built on a hill and nearby cornfield in . . . — Map (db m28811) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jarrell — 9044 — Cornhill Cemetery
Established in 1886 on a two-acre site deeded to Cornhill Masonic Lodge No. 567 by Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Bridges. Interred here are community leaders, three Civil War soldiers, and veterans of other wars. Maintained by Cornhill Cemetery Association . . . — Map (db m2844) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jarrell — 14009 — Daniel Harrison
Tennessee native Daniel Harrison (1816-1870) migrated to Texas in 1835. He served with Texan forces during the Texas Revolution, and as a volunteer for the Republic’s militia. He was in the 1839 Battle of the Neches. In 1840, Harrison married Nancy . . . — Map (db m28812) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jarrell — 15926 — Jarrell
During the early 1900s, plans were made for the construction of the Bartlett and Western Railway to run from Bartlett to Florence. The line was to serve as a feeder to the MK&T (Katy) Railroad, which passed daily through Bartlett. Temple real estate . . . — Map (db m80602) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jarrell — 16341 — Land Cemetery
This burial ground originally served the Corn Hill community, an early Williamson County settlement named by county judge John E. King for the fields of corn surrounding his home. By the 1880s, Corn Hill had a post office, businesses, churches, . . . — Map (db m125513) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jollyville — 9112 — Jolly Cemetery
This pioneer burial ground is a reminder of the area's earliest settlers. It was formally set aside by John Grey Jolly (1825–99) and his wife, Nancy Isabel (Eskew) (1825–1921)—both buried here—for whom Jollyville community . . . — Map (db m25504) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jollyville — 9324 — Pond Springs Cemetery
This graveyard was begun for members of the Pond Springs community in the 1860s. The oldest grave is believed to be that of Mrs. Asenath M. Stewart (d. 1862). Also interred here is Mexican War veteran William P. Rutledge, Sr. (1815-1890), and . . . — Map (db m79646) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jonah — Community of Jonah
On 1820s land grant to Nashville colony. Settled 1851 by wagon train from Arkansas, and called Water Valley. In 1884, repeated ill-luck in selecting an acceptable name for Post Office led to renaming the town Jonah. This was site of famed Grist . . . — Map (db m2780) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9369 — "Webster Massacre"
Here sleep the victims of the "Webster Massacre" of August 27, 1839 About thirty homeseekers headed by John Webster enroute to what is now Burnet County, were attacked by a band of Comanche Indians After attempting to flee . . . — Map (db m60279) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 13802 — A. S. Mason House
Local farmer Alpheus S. Mason (1839–1926) constructed this house about 1866. Situated on Bagdad Road, an important early military and commercial route in central Texas, the home features a double-galleried porch with Victorian detailing. . . . — Map (db m2204) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9030 — Bagdad Cemetery
Opened 1857 with burial of 3-year-old John Babcock, whose father Charles later gave tract to community. Other early burials were Civil War veteran John Haile and Col. C. C. Mason. Leander, founded 1882 when railroad bypassed Bagdad, shares use of . . . — Map (db m101677) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9104 — Heinatz Homestead
Built in fall of 1850, along with adjoining store and post office, all of native stone, by John Frederick Heinatz (1822-91), a settler from Germany. He was for many years postmaster of Bagdad, a public school trustee, superintendent of Sunday . . . — Map (db m4255) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9259 — Leander
Leander grew from the once thriving town of Bagdad, founded in 1854 (1 mi. W). when the Austin & Northwestern Railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882, a new town was surveyed and named for railroad official Leander Brown (1817-89). Homes and businesses . . . — Map (db m69261) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9261 — Leander Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1857 by the Rev. R. M. Overstreet, this church was originally known as Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church and was located in the town of Bagdad. When the new railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882 and the town of Leander was founded on the . . . — Map (db m101656) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9288 — Leander Schools
The origin of the Leander school system can be traced to the 1855 school held in Bagdad, the pre-Civil War community that disappeared after Leander was founded along the railroad. In 1893, a free public school opened in the new community. Business . . . — Map (db m69263) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9289 — Leander United Methodist Church
This church was organized about 1860 in the nearby community of Bagdad (1 mi. W). Early worship services were conducted by local preachers and missionaries in a log schoolhouse and a Masonic lodge hall before a sanctuary was constructed there in . . . — Map (db m101654) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9260 — Leanderthal Lady
On Dec. 29, 1982, Texas Highway Department archeologists uncovered the skeleton of a pre-historic human female at the Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Site (approx. 6 mi. SE). Because of the proximity of the grave site to the town of Leander, the . . . — Map (db m114979) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9313 — Norton Moses Lodge No. 336, A.F. & A.M.
Organized in the Williamson County community of Bagdad, this Masonic Lodge was chartered formally in 1871. It was named for Norton Moses, who participated in the group's formation. A lodge building, constructed in 1870, also served as a community . . . — Map (db m101653) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9321 — Pickle-Mason House
Master carpenter Andrew Porter Pickle (1833-1908) built this house for his family in 1871. It remained in the Pickle family until 1913, when it was sold to Augusta K. and Sarah Zora Mason Davis. Following their deaths, it remained in the family. The . . . — Map (db m24931) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9033 — Site of a Block House
Built by Texas Rangers under Captain John J. Tumlinson in 1836. Destroyed by Indians in 1837. This was the first white man’s post in Williamson County. — Map (db m101641) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9368 — Webster Massacre
1 ¾ miles east to the graves of the victims of the Webster Massacre which occurred August 27, 1839 when John Webster and a party of about thirty, en route to a land grant in Burnet County, were attacked by a band of Comanche Indians. After . . . — Map (db m69260) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9038 — Bryson Stagecoach Stop
John T. Bryson (d. 1894) and his wife Amelia (d. 1897), prominent early settlers of the Liberty Hill community, constructed this home in the 1850s. Built on a frame of notched and fitted hewn cedar logs and featuring chimneys of native stone, the . . . — Map (db m2510) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 15057 — Connell Cemetery
Alabama native Sampson Connell, Jr. (b. 1822) came to Texas with his family in 1834. Sampson, his father, and his brother participated at the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836. For his efforts, Sampson received a land grant in Washington County. He . . . — Map (db m92902) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 13922 — First Baptist Church of Liberty Hill
Successor to Zion Baptist Church and the Liberty Hill Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, which merged 1854, and met in a brush arbor or in Silent Grove School, 4 miles to the west. When Austin & Northwestern Railroad was built, Liberty Hill moved . . . — Map (db m101702) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9096 — Gabriel Mills
Samuel Mather settled here in 1849, building a grist mill on the North San Gabriel in 1852. John G. Stewart opened a store near the mill. A small log cabin was in use by 1854 for church, school and lodge meetings. A post office was established in . . . — Map (db m125511) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9105 — Hopewell Cemetery
Pioneers who settled here in the 1840s and established the town of Hopewell faced many hardships, including Indian raids. Wofford and Mary Johnson and their daughter were killed by Comanches nearby in 1863. They were buried at this site near the . . . — Map (db m4257) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9295 — John G. Matthews(March 3, 1824 - November 4, 1903)
Tennessee native John Giles Matthews came to Texas with his parents in 1839 and settled in the new town of Austin. A Ranger for the Republic of Texas, Matthews served in the Mexican War and the Civil War before moving to Williamson County in 1870. . . . — Map (db m77946) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9296 — John G. Matthews House
After coming to Texas with his parents in 1840, John G. Matthews (1824-1903) joined a Ranger company and fought in the Mexican War (1846-48). He married Nancy Leanorah Carothers (1838-93) and in 1872 built this hand-hewn native limestone house, . . . — Map (db m42778) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9290 — Liberty Hill Cemetery
Weathered gravestones show usage of this spot for burials since 1852, when the earliest settlers were establishing homes in area. The first formal grant of land here as a community burial ground was made by John T. and Amelia Edwards Bryson in 1875, . . . — Map (db m101703) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9291 — Liberty Hill Masonic Hall
Chartered in 1875, Liberty Hill Lodge No. 432, A. F. & A. M., met first in the Methodist church. When this building was finished in 1883, the Masons purchased the top floor for their lodge hall and built an exterior wooden stairway to the room. This . . . — Map (db m101699) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9292 — Liberty Hill Methodist Church
Founded 1854 (1.5 mi. NW of here). Construction of 3-story building of native stone for use of the church, school, and Masonic lodge was begun in 1870 on land given by T. S. Snyder. Upper stories were removed and choir space added in 1905; wings . . . — Map (db m101698) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9093 — Manuel Flores
In this vicinity, Manuel Flores, an emissary of the Mexican government, with a small group of men conveying ammunition to the Indians on the Lampasas River, was surprised by Rangers under Lieutenant J. O. Rice in May, 1839, and killed. — Map (db m101696) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9329 — Rock House Community
A pioneer agricultural community of Williamson County, this site was first settled in the late 1840s by Uriah H. Anderson, a native of Tennessee who received a land grant here from the state of Texas. By 1857 a rural school was in operation and . . . — Map (db m24935) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 12299 — Site of Concord School
First settled in the 1850s, this area boasted a school named Clear Creek by 1857. Concord School was established in nearby Brizendine Mills in 1883. By 1888 the Concord School was located in the Bear Creek settlement, succeeding the Clear Creek . . . — Map (db m101704) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 12998 — Stubblefield Building
Erected in 1871, this structure of hand-cut native limestone is perhaps the oldest still standing in Liberty Hill. It was built by S. P. Stubblefield (1824-1902). A native of Alabama and veteran of the Mexican War (1846-48), and owned by his family . . . — Map (db m101701) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 15115 — Union Hall Independent Missionary Baptist Church of Christ
Five families withdrew from the Liberty Hill Baptist Church to form an independent missionary Baptist church of Christ in 1888. The Rev. G.W. Capps was called as the first pastor. A one room schoolhouse was soon erected on donated land. Housing . . . — Map (db m25250) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9343 — William O. Spencer(September 2, 1810 - September 20, 1896)
Illinois native William O. Spencer moved to Bastrop County, Texas, with his wife, Amy Wilcoxen, in 1847. In 1853, Amy died and Spencer settled on the frontier in Williamson County. He named the Liberty Hill post office he had persuaded U.S. Senator . . . — Map (db m77979) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 12310 — Williams-Buck Cemetery
Legend surrounds the first years of this burial ground. Local oral history relates that among the earliest graves are those of a slave called Willie Osborne and an unknown Native American. Members of the Stephens family, ambushed by Indians in 1854, . . . — Map (db m24957) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 12591 — A. J. and Carolina Anderson House
This house was built in 1908-09 for the family of Swedish immigrant Anders Johan Anderson (1858-1929) just after the death of his first wife, Edla Maria (1859–1906). After its completion, Anderson and his two daughters moved into the house . . . — Map (db m42434) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9316 — Andrew J. Palm House
With his mother and brothers, Andrew J. Palm (1839–1928) migrated to Texas from Sweden in 1853. They settled about three miles north of Round Rock at Palm Valley, where Palm built this residence about 1873. He purchased the land from Swedish . . . — Map (db m2327) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 13769 — Anti-Slaveholding Union Baptist Cemetery
This early Williamson County graveyard has been referred to as Smalley Cemetery due to its connection with the family of pioneer Baptist preacher Freeman Smalley. Early settlers of this area, the Smalleys were associated with the nearby . . . — Map (db m24902) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 12298 — Barker House
E. B. and Mary Harvey Barker bought this house of locally quarried limestone in May 1873. The Barkers, who resided on a farm at Rice’s Crossing (20 mi. E), lived here during the winter season so that their eight children could attend school in Round . . . — Map (db m2287) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 14555 — Bratton Cemetery
Kentucky native John Bratton (1812 - 1855) came to Texas with his family in 1837. Ten years later, Bratton purchased land in this area and set aside one acre for use as a burial ground for family and friends. The earliest known burial, that of Mary . . . — Map (db m100614) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — Cabin from Gabriel Mills Area
This cabin of squared logs and hand-hewn limestone was built in the early 1850s near the village of Gabriel Mills (20 mi. NW). It stood on property owned in 1850-53 by Samuel Mather (1812-78), miller and blacksmith who first settled the area. The . . . — Map (db m25946) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9043 — Caldwell-Palm House
Original Marker (Now Missing) Built 1860, by T. J. Caldwell. Cedar used in foundation, rafters and floor joists were cut on property; rock quarried from grounds. Slaves helped build house. Bought in 1892 by Sven W. and Mary Caldwell Palm . . . — Map (db m69257) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 12702 — Confederate ChaplainsRev. Edward Hudson – Rev. John Hudson
Brothers, teachers, Presbyterian ministers. Came to Texas from Arkansas, 1856. Worked and lived in this county. Both are buried in Round Rock Cemetery. In the Civil War, Rev. Edward Hudson in March 1862 joined Co. G, 6th Regiment, Confederate . . . — Map (db m2801) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9085 — Early Commercial Building
Erected to house private bank as well as hardware and lumber business of John A. Nelson and Associates. Bank was closed in 1922; commercial use continues. Architecturally important for facade of cast iron and pressed tin. Ornamented pilasters . . . — Map (db m3140) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9095 — Education in Round Rock
Soon after Williamson County was founded in 1848, pioneer settler Jacob M. Harrell, a blacksmith, built a log schoolhouse for use by his neighbors. Believed to be the first school in the county, it was located at Moss’ Spring on Lake Creek (2 mi. . . . — Map (db m69071) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 12300 — Harrell Cemetery
Jacob M. and Mary McCutcheon Harrell came to Texas from Tennessee with Robertson’s Nashville colony in 1833. Jacob’s brother and sister-in-law James G. and Catherine Harrell and other family members soon followed. Both brothers served in the Texas . . . — Map (db m69255) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9141 — Kenney's Fort
1/2 mile South to the site of Kenney's Fort First settlement in Williamson County. Erected as a home by Dr. Thomas Kenney and Joseph Barnhart in the spring of 1839. Served as a place of defense during Indian raids. Rendezvous of the Santa Fe . . . — Map (db m69050) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9308 — Nelson-Crier House
In 1854, Andrew J. and Hedwig Nelson of Sweden settled here. Hard-working in many businesses, Nelson (d. 1895) prospered. His widow and heirs had this house built by Page Brothers, Austin architects, 1895-1900. A son, Thomas Edward, . . . — Map (db m4778) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9035 — Old Broom Factory Building
Erected in 1876. Victorian-style building has ashlar-cut limestone front with stepped parapet and keystone arches. During prosperous railroad era, housed Round Rock Broom Company (1887?-1912), an important local business. (Broom made here won a gold . . . — Map (db m4831) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 12813 — Olson House
Swedish immigrant Johanna Olson (1835-1914) purchased this property in 1907 after she returned to the Round Rock area upon the death of her husband, Johannes, in 1894. Local contractor A.S. Robertson built this house for her in 1908, and it remained . . . — Map (db m25940) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9326 — Otto Reinke Building
Erected 1879, three years after Round Rock expansion began at railroad’s arrival. Some successive tenants included stores, physician, restaurants. After it was gutted by fire in 1963, architect Martin S. Kermacy and wife, Evelyn, built a modern . . . — Map (db m25173) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9317 — Palm Valley Lutheran Church
In area first claimed in 1838 by white men. Valley bears name of the Anna Palm family, 1853 Swedish settlers. “Brushy”, the first Lutheran church (of logs), was built here by Andrew John Nelson and 3 hired men in 1861. This also housed . . . — Map (db m25419) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 15945 — Round Rock
Permanent settlement began in this area in the late 1830s. By 1848, former Austin Mayor Jacob Harrell moved here, selling town lots near the Stagecoach Road crossing at Brushy Creek. A post office named “Brushy Creek” opened in 1851 in . . . — Map (db m119210) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9331 — Round Rock Cemetery
Established in the early 1850s in what is now known as Old Round Rock; this cemetery is the burial ground of many area pioneers and outstanding Round Rock citizens. The oldest legible tombstone, which marks the burial site of 11-year-old Angeline . . . — Map (db m25174) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9332 — Round Rock Volunteer Fire Department
The Hose and Hand Pump Company was formed in 1884 as Round Rock’s first organized fire department. Money for equipment was raised through donations, picnics, dances, box suppers, and other fund drives. The first building constructed for Round Rock’s . . . — Map (db m69256) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9031 — Sam Bass' Death Site
An uneducated Indiana orphan who drifted to Texas as a youth, Sam Bass won fame racing his swift “Denton Mare”, gambling, and robbing trains. A rich haul in Nebraska was followed by months of reckless spending. Bass liked to shower gold . . . — Map (db m119211) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 13529 — Site of Stony Point School
Stony Point School was established in Williamson County by 1891. Children living in the rural area attended the school, which served students from grades one through eight. Most of the students were sons and daughters of families that emigrated from . . . — Map (db m25944) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9339 — Slave Burial Ground in Old Round Rock Cemetery
Near the gravesite of outlaw Sam Bass, one-half acre of Old Round Rock Cemetery was set aside for slave burials. Enclosed by cedar posts and barbed wire, sites are marked head and foot with large limestone rocks. Some rocks are hand-grooved with . . . — Map (db m25179) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 13824 — The Double File Trail
As the Delaware Indians moved from their home in the “Redlands” of East Texas in 1828 to near present Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. They laid out this trace. It was named Double File Trail because two horsemen could ride side by side. The first . . . — Map (db m69052) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9322 — The Pioneer Builders
In memory of The Pioneer Builders Greenwood Masonic Institute, 1867–1881, one quarter mile west and Round Rock Institute, one half mile south, 1881–1891, under auspices Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1881–1887, and the . . . — Map (db m69066) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9330 — The Round Rock
A guide for Indians and early settlers, this table-shaped stone in the middle of Brushy Creek once marked an important low-water wagon crossing. Hundered-year-old wheel ruts are still visible in the creek bottom. The rocky stream bed also provided . . . — Map (db m24936) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9365 — Trinity Lutheran College
Founded by the Augustana Lutheran Synod, in 1904. Synod representatives, seeking a location, selected Round Rock because of an offer of a well, 14 city lots, and freight concessions on building materials hauled by International & Great Northern . . . — Map (db m69063) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9315 — William M. Owen House Complex
The earliest structure in this complex is the one-story stone building, constructed about 1853. It originally housed a mercantile store and the first permanent post office for Round Rock, both operated by Thomas C. Oatts, the town’s first . . . — Map (db m42789) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — Battle of Brushy Creek
A skirmish between Comanche raiders and a local militia near here in mid-winter (1839) led to the last major battle between Anglo settlers and Indians in Williamson County. The Comanche retaliated on February 18, 1839, by attacking several area . . . — Map (db m4825) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9320 — Bill Pickett(ca. December 1870 - March 25, 1932)
The son of a former slave, Willie M. (Bill) Pickett grew up in Taylor. Working as a cowboy in central Texas, he pioneered the art of “bulldogging,” in which a cowboy jumps from his horse to twist a steer’s horns to force it to the . . . — Map (db m13785) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9304 — Birthplace of Governor Dan Moody(June 1, 1893-May 22, 1966)
A crusader for integrity in public office. Born in Taylor, Williamson County; son of Daniel and Nancy Elizabeth Robertson Moody. At 16 entered University of Texas, where he completed law school. After World War I service, won election to the office . . . — Map (db m115366) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9034 — Booth House
This house was built about 1880 for Crawford Henry Booth (1843–1937), a prominent local rancher and banker. An unusual local example of the L-plan vernacular form, the house features many Queen Anne details, including an octagonal turret with . . . — Map (db m2480) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9358 — City of Taylor
When the International & Great Northern Railroad built across Williamson County in 1876, one of the towns created along its route was “Taylorsville,” named for railroad executive Moses Taylor. Lots were sold in June, and the post office . . . — Map (db m2743) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9047 — Doak Home
Built in 1860s. Ranch style forerunner. Since 1878 in the family of A. V. Doak, Taylor’s first doctor, organizer of mule-drawn streetcar line, civic leader. Son, Dr. Edmond Doak, b. 1878, has spent lifetime in this house. Grandson is Dr. E. K. Doak . . . — Map (db m2948) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9046 — Doak Pavilion Site(25 Feet West)
Built 1891 by Dr. A. V. Doak, early settler and civic leader, at end of his street car line, which operated three mule-drawn cars. Used for plays, dances, other amusements. Held crowds of 1,000. In 1900 the pavilion was sold and dismantled. — Map (db m3003) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 13616 — Dr. James Lee Dickey
Physician, humanitarian, civil rights advocate and concerned citizen Dr. James Lee Dickey (d. 1959) had a profound effect on the quality of life in his adopted hometown of Taylor. Born in McLennan County in 1893, he attended Waco public schools and . . . — Map (db m3087) HM

230 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 30
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.