Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Marker Pages Containing “Bergen County Historical Society”

 
Marker in Allendale image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, June 26, 2011
Marker in Allendale
New Jersey (Bergen County), Allendale — Van Houten-Yeomans Homestead
John H. Van Houten came to this neighborhood in 1792 and later purchased land. His son, Paul J. Van Houten, built this farmhouse about 1869 on family acreage. In 1870 he willed it to his daughter, Margaret Ann, the wife of John L. Yeomans, a . . . — Map (db m43788) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — 62 — Closter Dock Road
Laid out in 1761 by New York over an earlier route when that province claimed jurisdiction over this area. Used by troops during the Revolutionary War, the road led from Closter to Closter Dock on the Hudson where farm produce was shipped to New . . . — Map (db m7208) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bergenfield — African American Baptist Church Cemetery
Francis Jackson, a freed slave, purchased 7 ¾ acres of woodland here in 1868. Later it would include the black cemetery and “a plain neat little church” built about 1873. The Pastor, Rev. Nicholas Fr. Jackson, lived nearby. The cemetery . . . — Map (db m7509) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bergenfield — 2 — South Church
Organized in 1723 as the Schraalenburg Dutch Reformed Church. First church erected in 1728, 150 feet to the east, the present building in 1799. The True Reformed Church was founded here in 1822. The church became Presbyterian in 1913. John Henry . . . — Map (db m7506) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bogota — 3 — “Achter Col” Colony
In 1642, when this area was part of New Netherland, Johannes Winckelman built near here a ninety-foot long fur trading post and farmhouse – a building which sheltered both settlers and cattle. During the 1643 Indian war it was protected by . . . — Map (db m7128) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Closter Public School
In 1899 the schoolhouse property was bought from the Bloomer family. The following year a two story, square plan, Renaissance Revival style building was completed with 3 classrooms and an assembly room for grades K-8. In 1907, 4 classrooms were . . . — Map (db m7912) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 65 — Daniel De Clark House
Built about 1786 by Daniel De Clark, the frame kitchen wing was added in the early 1800’s. De Clark operated a large cattle and dairy farm on 170 acres of land. In 1815 son William was the owner and he sold the house to his grandson, Jacob D.C. . . . — Map (db m7916) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Hilderbrant Naugle House
Built in 1871 for Hilderbrant Naugle on a suburban lot near the Closter R.R. depot, the frame gable-front-and wing house is notable for the ornamental scroll work of Gothic design. Naugle was a carpenter and clockmaker who made improvements to his . . . — Map (db m7919) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Nagel – Auryansen Cemetery
This final resting place of early Closter settlers was established by Barent and Resolvert Nagel on their 1,030-acre tract jointly purchased in 1710. The first burial is believed to be Jan Adriansen, c. 1721. The Nagel brothers divided their land . . . — Map (db m63546) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 63 — Nagel (Naugle) House
Built about 1745 on land purchased in 1710 by Barent and Resolvert Nagel. The frame wing was added later. Owned by Barent’s son John by 1754 and later by grandson David Naugle, a militiaman during the Revolutionary War. In about 1784 David built a . . . — Map (db m7910) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 64 — Reformed Church of ClosterBuilt 1862
Established as the “Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of Closter City”, it was the first church erected in the Borough of Closter. Dedicated October 7, 1862, tradition says the church was the headquarters of the “Harrington . . . — Map (db m7917) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Walter Parcells Homestead
In 1795 Walter Parcells, a mason, erected this house of local stone on 34 acres of land on what was then known as Closter New Road. Built in the Federal style, it is 1½ stories high with a gambrel style roof. The frame wing was added later and . . . — Map (db m7915) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 5 — Benjamin P. Westervelt Homesite
The main wing of this house was built in 1808 by Benjamin P. Westervelt who served in the local militia during the Revolution. The site of this house has been continuously owned by the Westervelt family since early colonial times. General Erskine’s . . . — Map (db m7207) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 66 — Cap’t John Huyler’s Farm
In 1776, a 180 acre farm here was owned by Loyalist John Ackerson. It extended from the Tenakill to the Hudson, bordered on the north by the road used by British invaders that year. Seized as enemy property, it was bought in 1784 by Militia Captain . . . — Map (db m7212) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 4 — Huyler’s Landing Road
In colonial times a crude road led from here to a landing at the Hudson River. According to the reports and maps of Generals Erskine and Wayne this road was used by Cornwallis in attacking Fort Lee on November 20, 1776. On May 10, 1779 it was used . . . — Map (db m7206) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Demarest — 67 — Demarest Railroad Station
Built 1872 at “Demarests Station” on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey. Designed by noted architect J. Cleveland Cady, it was considered the “handsomest on the line.” The depot was built of Palisades stone quarried on the . . . — Map (db m7508) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Dumont — 6 — Derick Banta House
This example of Dutch Colonial architecture was built between 1780-1790 by Derick Banta, soldier in the American Revolution, after his birthplace here was burned by Tories. Owned by the Quackenbush family from 1792, it was sold to Isaac Dixon in . . . — Map (db m7507) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Dumont — 7 — Old North Church
Organized in 1723 as the Schraalenburgh Reformed Dutch Church. First church was built in 1728. In 1801 the present Old North Reformed Church was built, one mile north of first site, and continues as a Reformed congregation. This sanctuary is . . . — Map (db m7486) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — 68 — Ferryboat Binghamton
Built for the Hoboken Ferry Company and launched in1905, it plied the Hudson River between Hoboken and Manhattan (Barclay St.) for 62 years. This double-ender steamboat was designed to carry 986 passengers and a number of vehicles. It was in . . . — Map (db m9528) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Vriessendael
"Vriessendael" 1640 Colony of David DeVries The first known colony in present Bergen County was founded in 1640 by David Pietersz DeVries, a Dutch explorer, sea captain and patroon. Then part of New Netherland, the plantation included the . . . — Map (db m38959) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Elmwood Park — 69 — Van Houten-Hillman House
Built c. 1782 by Cornelius J. Van Houten as an addition to the earlier house of his father, John C. Van Houten. Located in “Slotterdam”, the farm stretched between the Passaic and Saddle Rivers and was raided during the Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m43782) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Emerson — 70 — Kinderkamack
An area which in colonial times included part of Emerson, Kinderkamack extended southward into part of River Edge. The name is found recorded as early as 1686. This portion became Etna in the late 19th century and Emerson in 1909. The road which . . . — Map (db m8634) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 74 — Brookside Chapel
Built in 1860 on Palisade Avenue as “The Englewood Presbyterian Church”, it was the first church established in the city. A new, larger church was built on the original site and the old building was taken down, stone by stone, and . . . — Map (db m7011) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 72 — De Mott – Westervelt House
Built about 1808 by Henry DeMott, this sandstone Dutch Colonial house was once attached to the pre-Revolutionary homestead of Albert Lydecker. Material from the older house used in the present frame wing built c. 1810 by Peter Westervelt. The . . . — Map (db m7133) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 8 — English Neighborhood Union School
This former school was originally built in 1818 near the Liberty Pole Tavern. In 1850 it was moved here and rebuilt with the original materials. This part of Englewood was then known as Highwood. The name Englewood School was adopted in 1897. It . . . — Map (db m7129) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 73 — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1860 as “The Englewood Presbyterian Church”, the first edifice was erected on this site in the same year. It was the first church building in Englewood and the first Presbyterian congregation in Bergen County. Today’s . . . — Map (db m6970) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 9 — John G. Benson House
Built c. 1800 by John G. Benson, a farmer, and from 1794 to 1797, a captain in the militia. This house, an example of post-Revolutionary War Dutch Colonial architecture, was built on property confiscated by New Jersey from the Reverend Garret . . . — Map (db m7009) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 71 — Liberty Pole
This area named for a Liberty Pole erected here before the Revolution. The strategic junction was the scene of many American and British troop movements, including the 1776 retreat of the Continental Army from Fort Lee, and British activity in 1776 . . . — Map (db m7012) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 75 — Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church
Organized in 1865, the congregation first met in homes and in the armory on Van Brunt St. The original church was built in 1866. The present chapel was erected in 1895 as a parish hall. Today’s Gothic church structure, built in 1899, has the rose . . . — Map (db m7010) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Cadmus House Museum
Built about 1806 by Jacob Haring and purchased by Thomas Cadmus in 1816. He was a farmer who owned adjacent land and today the house is known by his name. There were many later owners and in the 1920s it became a commercial property. The two-room . . . — Map (db m62967) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — 10 — Naugle House
This colonial home was built in the 18th century by a Naugle. He was said to have been a paymaster in Layayette’s Light Division. The house served as a landmark on many Revolutionary War maps. It is believed that Lafayette visited here in 1824. . . . — Map (db m63050) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — 76 — Site of Hopper-Croucher Homestead
One of the last farmsteads in Fair Lawn stood on this site. The house built by Henry A. Hopper in 1855 was razed for road improvement in 1989. He was a Sheriff and Freeholder of Bergen County and served in the State Legislature. In 1919 William M. . . . — Map (db m63049) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 78 — Ackerman-Boyd House
Built about 1793 by James A. Ackerman on land owned by the family since 1727. The farm was then in the locality known as Ponds Neighborhood and within the old Township of Franklin. In 1841 the house was purchased by Adam Boyd who farmed the land . . . — Map (db m43853) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 12 — Franklin Avenue
Originated as an Indian trail across land the Redmen called “Campgaw”. It was surveyed during the Revolutionary War by Robert Erskine, George Washington’s mapmaker, and connected settlements in the Ramapo and Saddle River Valleys. . . . — Map (db m12395) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 77 — Franklin Lake
Known to the Indians as “Michanagrape,” these waters were formed by the melting glacier some 10,000 years ago. In 1700 the lake was named Christian Pool when it was included in a land grant to Michael Hawden. Later called Great Pond, . . . — Map (db m52941) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church
Organized in 1855 as the Methodist Episcopal Church of Campgaw, the first church was built on Circle Ave, in 1856, but was destroyed by fire in 1919. William V. Pulis donated a lot ‘in a most commanding part of the village.’ and the stone church . . . — Map (db m27048) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 13 — Hopper Family Burying Ground
Located on the boundary between two Hopper farms, the cemetery was shared by both families and their relatives for almost one hundred years. The earliest known burial was in 1804. — Map (db m36966) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 14 — Hopper Homestead
North wing built 1780 by Hendrick H. Hopper in area then called “Small Lots”. Center section erected by son John, in early 1800’s. The farmhouse was sold to the Hillmann family in 1895, ending four generations and 115 years of . . . — Map (db m36967) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 79 — Hopper House
Located in “Small Lots”, Henry G. Hopper began the construction of this house about 1788 on a 120 acre farm. Son Garret erected the Dutch-style main house in the early 1800’s. The north frame wing was built in the 1850’s for his son . . . — Map (db m36971) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 15 — The Red Brick Schoolhouse
This former one room Schoolhouse was the original Ridgewood Grove School Number 44. Built in 1846 it was used until 1894 by Ridgewood Township. In 1894 the proposed closing of this school resulted in the incorporation of the Borough of Glen Rock. It . . . — Map (db m36969) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 16 — Historic First Reformed Church
Earliest records of this pioneer Dutch church, dated 1686, mark it as the second oldest in New Jersey. Old stones embedded in the east wall show the initials of founding families and first settlers. The old burying ground contains the grave of . . . — Map (db m6820) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 80 — John I. Hopper House
Built in 1818, by John I. Hopper in old “Polifly”, this Federal style house stands on land purchased in 1694 by his great-grandfather Hendrick. The farm remained in the Hopper family for seven generations. Slaves lived in the kitchen . . . — Map (db m6864) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 125 — Revolutionary War Cemetery
Soldiers of the Revolution are buried in this cemetery of the True Reformed Dutch Church Deeded by Robert Campbell March 8, 1833 Erected by the Bergen County Historical Society 1937 — Map (db m7229) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Site of the Court-House & Jail
Burned by the enemy 1780 Erected by The Bergen County Historical Society 1922 — Map (db m6872) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 82 — Varick Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
First African American Church in Hackensack. Organized in 1864 as “Olive Branch Colored Mission Number Three of Hackensack.” First church was an old lime shed moved here in 1867. In 1917 current name was adopted in honor of the first . . . — Map (db m7223) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 83 — Abraham D. Blauvelt Homestead
The house and the kitchen wing were built about 1801 by Abraham D. Blauvelt who farmed the land. It came into possession of his niece, Catherine Blauvelt, wife of Richard J. Blauvelt, and remained in the family until 1891. In 1904 Herman Steinhoff, . . . — Map (db m7921) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 19 — Blanch-Haring House
Homestead of Isaac Blanch from about 1758 and site of his grist mill, both inherited in 1767 from his father, Richard Blanch, a native of England. Isaac was a Patriot official and member of the State Assembly during the Revolutionary War. He was . . . — Map (db m7920) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 18 — Old Burying Ground
In use for nearly two hundred years, largely by the Blauvelt family, the earliest known burial was in 1722. The cemetery contains the graves of members of other early Bergen County families, veterans of the American Revolution and slaves. Some of . . . — Map (db m7877) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 84 — Site of the Myers-Bogert Grist Mill
Abraham Myers established a grist mill at this site on the Hackensack River prior to 1765. Inherited by son John who operated the mill until his death in 1829, it was continued by his son-in-law James Bogert. Long known as “Bogert’s . . . — Map (db m7940) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 20 — Wortendyke Homesite
Frederick Wortendyke owned this land in 1723. It was once part of a large grant called the Tappan Patent. His son Jacob, who owned the homestead during the Revolutionary War, was taken captive in one of many British raids made in the area. Later . . . — Map (db m8683) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Haworth — 17 — Garret J. Durie HouseBuilt c. 1811
An early 19th century example of Dutch Colonial architecture erected by Garret J. Durie on part of the estate of his father, John Durie. Garret J. Durie was a farmer whose 120 acre tract stretched eastward one mile to the Tenakill Brook. Located in . . . — Map (db m7935) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Haworth — 85 — Schraalenburgh RoadHaworth’s Historic Highway
Beginning as an Indian trail, it became a Colonial road through the village of Schraalenburgh, linking Teaneck with Tappan, N.Y. Surveyed and improved in 1775, it appeared on maps made during the Revolutionary War by Americans, French and British. . . . — Map (db m7879) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Haworth — 86 — Zabriskie-Christie House
Built 1818 by Garret H. Zabriskie on land his father Henry purchased in the 18th century. Garret ‘s farm consisted of 219 acres. It began on Schraalenburg Road and ran westward for one mile. Later owned by son John G. Zabriskie who sold it to his . . . — Map (db m7922) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — 21 — Garret Durie House
Located in “Pascack” on land inherited from his father, Garret Durie built this house about 1767. During the Revolutionary War, the house was plundered by both American and British armies. Durie was a farmer and a blacksmith as well as . . . — Map (db m43787) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — Westervelt-Demarest House
About 1756 Peter Westervelt built a small house, enlarged in 1785, on land of his wife Catlyntje Haring. During the Revolutionary War the farm was raided. Later it was owned by son Henry and his son Aaron, a Freeholder and State Assemblyman. . . . — Map (db m43786) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — 87 — Vreeland House
Located in old English Neighborhood on land purchased by Dirck Vreeland before the Revolution, the homestead stretched between the Hudson River and Overpeck Creek. The stone wing of this house was built about 1786 and later was remodeled. Son . . . — Map (db m7131) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Lyndhurst — 88 — River Road School
The first schoolhouse was built on this site in 1804. Located in what then was called New Barbadoes Neck, the land was donated by Jacob Van Winkle “for the sole purpose of erecting a School House”. In 1849 it was replaced by a two-story . . . — Map (db m6733) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — 25 — Laroe-Van Horn House
Located in “Ramapough” near the site of an Indian trading post, this Dutch Colonial house was built about 1750 by Jacobus Laroe. The small wing was added at a later date, the porch about 1840. Some later owners were Jacobus Bogert who . . . — Map (db m43801) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — 22 — Mahwah’s First Station
Built in 1871, the building served until 1902 and was moved from original site when four tracks were laid and grade crossing closed. Bought by A.J. Winter, it was used as a storehouse for fifty years. To preserve the landmark, The Mahwah Historical . . . — Map (db m43796) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — 24 — Ramapo Valley Road
First an Indian path, then an important road during the period of colonial settlement. Washington’s army used this road in July 1777, and at many other times during the revolution. This is one of America’s oldest roads. It was an important link . . . — Map (db m43778) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Midland Park — 26 — Lozier House
This old Dutch sandstone house, shown on Erskine's 1780 map, was built by Cornelius Lozier before the Revolution. South of it was the grist mill, known as Lozier's Mill. Later, when the property passed to Garret Lydecker, the area was . . . — Map (db m51171) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Montvale — 89 — Eckerson House
Built in the 1790’s by Jacob Eckerson near an earlier home where he had settled about 1770. The farmstead then consisted of 119 acres. The house was inherited by his son John J. Eckerson in 1810 who owned it until 1870 when purchased by James . . . — Map (db m29882) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — 91 — Demarest-Bloomer House
Built about 1840 in the Greek Revival Style of architecture by John C. Demarest. He was a farmer with an interest in river trade when schooners plied the Hackensack River. The house was purchased in 1864 by George Bloomer, a dealer in coal and . . . — Map (db m7226) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — 90 — Jacobus Demarest Homestead
The earliest part of this house, one of the oldest in the county, was built on land purchased in 1677 by David Demarest, Sr., founder of the Huguenot Colony in Bergen County. His grandson Jacobus, born 1681, lived here until his death in 1763. . . . — Map (db m7220) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — 28 — New Bridge Inn1739 – 1964
Built in 1739-40 by Peter P. Demarest. In 1766 he received a license from the local court to “keep a Tavern or Public House” here. The old inn witnessed many stirring events during the American Revolution. In November 1776, Washington . . . — Map (db m7225) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — 124 — Site of the French Church and Cemetery
Site of the French Church and Cemetery of Kinkachemeck, New Jersey. Deeded to David Desmarest June 8, 1677 by Tapan Indians. Erected by the Bergen County Historical Society 1935. — Map (db m7234) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Norwood — 92 — Peter A. Blauvelt House
Built about 1890 in the High Victorian style of architecture when Norwood was part of old Harrington Township. Blauvelt was an undertaker and erected the building as a residence. In 1922 it became the home of Charles S. Gray who served as Mayor of . . . — Map (db m8682) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oakland — 94 — Hendrick Van Allen House
This Dutch Colonial house was built by Hendrick Van Allen before the Revolutionary War on a farm that consisted of over two-hundred acres. General George Washington used this house as his Headquarters on July 14-15, 1777, when he moved his troops . . . — Map (db m12336) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oakland — 95 — Jacobus S. Demarest House
Built about 1789 by Jacobus S. Demarest, the frame wing was added later. Demarest served in the Revolutionary War. Over the years his farm grew to 180 acres. In 1835 his son, Daniel J. Demarest, inherited the farmhouse. In 1863 it passed to his . . . — Map (db m12401) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — Claudius O. Collignon House
Built about 1864 by Claudius with a kitchen wing, it has elements of Greek Revival and Italianate styles of architecture. He purchased a half interest in the farm and mill works owned by his brother Nicholas. Their firm was known as the Collignon . . . — Map (db m7930) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — 29 — Haring - DeWolf House
This house was built about 1709 by Cosyn Haring, one of the sixteen Tappan patentees. It is an example of early Dutch Colonial architecture found in the Hackensack valley. This house has never been deeded to anyone, having been in the same family . . . — Map (db m52943) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — 97 — John Haring, Jr. House
Built about 1836 by John Haring, Jr., the house is an example of Greek Revival architecture and retains many original features. Haring’s homestead was on 14½ acres but he also owned adjacent lands which he farmed for decades. Daughter Sarah . . . — Map (db m7932) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — 96 — Teunis Haring House
Erected about 1810 on the site of an earlier house, the brick and sandstone center section is Dutch Colonial style, with wings added c. 1820-1875. It was the homestead of Teunis Haring, a farmer and Chosen Freeholder of Bergen County. Later owned . . . — Map (db m43842) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — 30 — The Stone Point
As early as 1704 this area of the Tappan Patent was called the “steen” or “Stone” point, later Stony Point. It was commonly known by that name for over 150 years. A grist mill was built here in 1725, fifty years before the . . . — Map (db m7931) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — 98 — Richard T. Cooper House
Built about 1825 by Richard Teunis Cooper, a chairmaker, on land owned by the family since 1716. This Federal style house, once on a 22 acre farm, is in the Oradell locality formerly known as New Milford. Son John R. Cooper, a master blacksmith, . . . — Map (db m7550) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — 31 — Soldier HillLafayette Encampment
The Continental Army advanced to Englewood on August 23, 1780, with some units foraging as far south as Jersey City. The main body of the army moved west of the Hackensack River on September 4th, camping in two lines west of Kinderkamack Road, one . . . — Map (db m7552) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — 99 — Van Buskirk-Oakley House
Small wing built by Abraham J. Van Buskirk about 1820 from earlier c. 1789 house. Federal style main wing built c. 1832-34 for Fanning T. Oakley and wife Hetty Van Buskirk. Later owned by son Abraham V. B. Oakley and wife Eliza Voorhis; their . . . — Map (db m7551) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 33 — Dunkerhook Road
This old colonial lane was named Dunkerhook meaning Dark Corner by the Dutch who settled the area in the early 18th century. Along this road, the Zabriskie family, who bought the land from the Indians in 1702, built houses and a school for the use . . . — Map (db m8314) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 38 — Jacob J. Zabriskie House
Built c. 1826, this house combines the Federal style of architecture with that of the earlier Dutch Colonial. Erected by Jacob J. Zabriskie on the site of an earlier home, the farmhouse remained in the Zabriskie family for 132 years. — Map (db m8334) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 35 — Old Spring Valley Burial Ground
The historic cemetery directly in the rear of the Behnke farm contains the graves of descendants of early settlers in this area including a least two local farmer-militiamen of the American Revolution, Jacobus Brouwer and Henry Banta, as well as the . . . — Map (db m8345) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 39 — One-Room SchoolhouseBuilt 1876
This sturdy old frame building is a landmark in the community, having served Paramus residents in various ways. Originally School No. 26 of Midland Township, it was converted into a borough hall when Paramus Borough was formed in 1922. In 1959 it . . . — Map (db m8333) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — Rutan-Terhune-Bidwell House
Built by Jacobus Rutan, a farmer, on 32 acres of land about 1794-95. In 1800 his widow and son sold the house to Cornelius H. Zabriskie, a blacksmith and farmer. In 1856 he deeded the house to his grandson, Cornelius Zabriskie Terhune, also a . . . — Map (db m8336) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 36 — Sluckup
In Revolutionary days this area of Paramus was known by the unusual name of Sluckup. The name was derived from a local legend. A Dutch farmer hung his shirt on a nearby fence while working in his field. When he saw the shirt disappear into the . . . — Map (db m8313) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 34 — Stephen T. Zabriskie House
Built on the farm of his grandfather, Christian J. Zabriskie, who bought the property in 1775. Tradition places a house on the site in 1792 but the present stone dwelling was probably built in the early 1800’s and occupied by Stephen T. Zabriskie. . . . — Map (db m8335) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 37 — Terhune-Gardner House
Pre-Revolutionary homestead of David Terhune (1713-1792), weaver and patriot official who served as Freeholder from New Barbadoes Township 1779 to 1785; and of his son, John D. Terhune, a Freeholder in 1787. Farm raided by British four times during . . . — Map (db m18995) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 100 — Terhune-Van Dien House
Built about 1795 by Henry S. Terhune in “Old Paramus” on land owned by the Terhune family since 1707. the two-hundred acre farm extended for over a mile between the Saddle River and Sprout Brook. In 1853 the house was inherited by . . . — Map (db m8332) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Paramus — 1 — Washington Spring
Howland Avenue divided the farms of miller Cornelius Van Saun to the south and Christian Dederer to the north. Hendrick Banta lived west of Mill Creek. The Continental Army moved into Bergen County in August 1780 to forage for food and to await the . . . — Map (db m8412) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Park Ridge — 101 — Ackerson Homestead
Built about 1800 by John Ackerson and son Garret, this stone house stands on land purchased in 1759. The property was developed during a century of family ownership. A general store was built opposite the house site in 1777 and successive . . . — Map (db m29883) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Park Ridge — 40 — Atkins Glen
The Glen is a deep ravine cut through sandstone rock by Bear Brook. Glen Road to the south follows an old Indian path up the hill called “Spook Bergh” (Ghost Hill) by the early Dutch. Tradition says that a cave in the sandstone rock, . . . — Map (db m29891) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Park Ridge — 42 — Pascack Historical Society Museum
This building, dedicated December 8, 1873 by Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, was built through the efforts of James Leach, James Hall and Jacob, his son, for use as a Sunday school and mission chapel. In 1875 it became a Congregational Church. The first . . . — Map (db m29893) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Park Ridge — 102 — Pascack Reformed Church
Erected in 1813 on farmland purchased from the Campbell and Wortendyke families, the church had thirty-six original members. Dedicated in the Fall of that year by Dominie Stephen Goetschius, the first pastor, who called it a “beautiful and . . . — Map (db m29895) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Park Ridge — 103 — Wortendyke Dutch Barn
This pre-Revolutionary Dutch barn was built by the Wortendyke family. Once common in the Hudson River area, the barn is one of the few remaining in this country. Broader than deep, the structure is entirely supported by four H-frames tied with . . . — Map (db m29886) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Park Ridge — 41 — Wortendyke Homestead
Frederick Wortendyke, Jr. built the original sandstone section of this farmhouse in the 1750’s. Located at “Pascack” on land purchased by his father in 1735, the tract included nearly a third of present-day Park Ridge. The homestead was . . . — Map (db m29885) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ramsey — 104 — David Van Gelder House
Built by David Van Gelder after his marriage in 1794. Located in the area once called “Brabant”, the land was purchased twice – c. 1737 and 1745 – by grandfather Abraham to insure valid title from the proprietors of East New . . . — Map (db m43789) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ridgefield — 105 — English Neighborhood Reformed Church
Organized in 1770 as a Dutch Reformed Church, the first building, erected in 1768, was located in Leonia. After the Revolution, it was decided to “Erect a New One in A more Proper Place”. In 1793 the present church was built on the farm . . . — Map (db m7153) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ridgefield Park — 106 — Paulison – Christie House
Built about 1775 by John Paulison who owned 150 acres in what was then known as “Old Hackensack”. The farm was raided by the British during the Revolutionary War. In 1826 the house was inherited by his son Paul Paulison. Purchased in . . . — Map (db m7154) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ridgewood — Joseph H. Chapman Summer Residence
Built about 1869 in the late Italianate style of architecture, it was the summer home of Joseph H. Chapman who was a Wall St. insurance agent. In 1868 a group of investors laid out streets and house lots and named the development Ridgewood Park. As . . . — Map (db m24986) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ridgewood — 43 — Old Paramus Reformed Church
Organized in 1725 by pioneer Dutch settlers, the congregation of this church has worshipped here over 240 years. First church, built 1735 on this land given by Peter Fauconier, a French Huguenot, was a headquarters of Gen. George Washington in 1778 . . . — Map (db m24983) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ridgewood — 44 — Schoolhouse Museum
Built in 1872, this school is believed to be the fifth one erected on Paramus Reformed Church ground. From 1730 to the 1870s, education was carried on by the church. Rented to Ridgewood Township, it became District School No. 45 from the 1870s to . . . — Map (db m24985) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ridgewood — 46 — Van Dien House
. . . — Map (db m24987) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Edge — Borough of River Edge
Sections were once known as Kindermack, Steenrapie, Old Bridge and New Bridge. George Washington, in 1776, retreated across New Bridge and the hill above was fortified by the British in 1778. In 1780 the Americans encamped in town with the HQ of . . . — Map (db m36452) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Edge — Historic New Bridge Landing
1) Steuben House.   Jan and Annetje (Ackerman) Zabriskie prospered as miller and merchant at this site. They built a five-room stone cottage in 1752 and enlarged the house to the present size in 1767 by adding a second story along the rear and . . . — Map (db m74123) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Edge — Historic New Bridge Landing
Pre-History - The Tappans, affiliated with the Minisinks, occupied the northern valley of the Hackensack River and its major tributaries, extending downstream to French Creek at New Bridge. The tidal lowlands to the south were occupied by the . . . — Map (db m74100) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Edge — New Bridge
The first “new bridge” erected in 1745. It was a strategic crossing during the Revolution used by Washington’s army during the 1776 retreat. In 1888/89, the wooden span was replaced by this iron swing-bridge, now the oldest such bridge . . . — Map (db m68879) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Edge — New Bridge Landing
Site of the Zabriskie Grist Mill and wharf near the head of navigation on the Hackensack River. Farm produce and iron from the Ramapo Mts. were shipped from here to market. The mill, once powered by the tides, burned in 1852 after a century of . . . — Map (db m7468) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Edge — The Campbell – Christie House
This Dutch Style sandstone house had stood in New Milford since the Revolution. Faced with demolition it was saved for our country’s heritage by moving it to this site on September 27, 1977. This preservation was accomplished through the combined . . . — Map (db m7465) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Edge — The Zabriskie House
Erected 1752 and presented to Maj. Gen. Von Steuben by the State of New Jersey 1783 in recognition of New Jersey’s share of the debt which the nation owed the General. — Map (db m51303) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Vale — 47 — Baylor Massacre Park
In memory of American soldiers killed during the Revolutionary War in the “Baylor Massacre” on September 28, 1778. Lt. Col. George Baylor’s 3rd Regiment of Continental Dragoons took quarters for the night on several nearby farms. Tories . . . — Map (db m7874) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Vale — 108 — Blauvelt-Seaman House
Built about 1828 by David C. Blauvelt on land he purchased in 1801. The 37 acre farm was situated in the locality once known as Overkill Neighborhood. David was a blacksmith and after his death, son John D. Blauvelt bought the homestead in 1842. He . . . — Map (db m7943) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), River Vale — William Holdrum, Jr., House
Built about 1784 by William Holdrum, Jr., a farmer who inherited a 116 acre tract from his father, William Holdrum, Sr., the present structure was built as an addition to the 1765 house of Johannes Mabie, Holdrum enlarged the dwelling to the west . . . — Map (db m7945) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Rockleigh — 50 — Abraham A. Haring HouseBuilt c. 1758
Erected on a 200 acre farm by Abraham A. Haring, a captain in the Bergen County Militia. During the Revolutionary War, Haring was captured by the British and imprisoned in New York City where he died. In 1805 his grandson, Abraham D. Haring, sold . . . — Map (db m8685) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Rockleigh — 112 — Jacob Concklin House
Built about 1796 by Jacob Concklin, Jr., a “wheelwright”, the house is an example of Dutch Colonial architecture. Erected on the site of an earlier Concklin homestead, it stands on a 166½ acre farm purchased in 1748 by Jacob . . . — Map (db m52946) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Rockleigh — 51 — John A. Haring HouseBuilt c. 1805
An early 19th century example of Dutch Colonial architecture erected by John A. Haring. Small wing added c. 1808; rear stone section built by a Haring about the time of the Revolutionary War. Inherited in 1854 by son Nicholas J. Haring, the . . . — Map (db m8686) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Rockleigh — 111 — Joseph Dubois HouseBuilt 1835
Erected by Joseph Dubois in the locality once known as Rockland Neighborhood. South wing built in 1835, with materials from 18th century house of John Gesner. Center section built soon after with Victorian porch and north wing added at a later date. . . . — Map (db m8680) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Rockleigh — 49 — Piermont Road
First named Carterette Road, this section, from Rockleigh Road to the state line, was constructed in 1859 as an extension of the road from Closter. For local farmers it was an easier wagon route to New York State and for carrying produce to the . . . — Map (db m8631) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Saddle River — 113 — Abraham P. Ackerman House
Built circa 1802 by Abraham P. Ackerman who added stone kitchen wing soon after. Later, son William built frame unit. His son Abraham W., owner in 1875, remodeled house and added mansard roofs. The farmhouse remained in the Ackerman family until . . . — Map (db m29878) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Saddle River — 114 — Ackerman – Pell House
Built around 1835 in the Greek Revival style, it incorporates parts of a late 18th c. home. John D. Ackerman was a miller and his son, David I., was a blacksmith who built a trip hammer forge on the Saddle River opposite the house. His grandson, . . . — Map (db m29877) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Teaneck — 54 — Brinkerhoff-Demarest House
This old house was built around 1735 by Hendricks Brinkerhoff on land owned by his grandfather since the 17th century. An excellent example of early Dutch Architecture, it has been in the possession of the Brinkerhoff and Demarest descendants since . . . — Map (db m7224) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Teaneck — 53 — Revolutionary War Encampment – 1780
Troops of the American army camped in this vicinity from August 22 to September 3, 1780, in order to forage for food and horses. The encampment extended to the north and east of Teaneck Road for about two miles. Situated near British-held New York . . . — Map (db m7221) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Tenafly — 115 — Everett – Dunn House
Built about 1867 for the Charles J. Everett family, this house was designed by famous architect Richard Morris Hunt in the Swiss Chalet style. Everett was noted as an inventor. In 1919 it became the home of Harvey Dunn, a prominent artist whose . . . — Map (db m7484) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Tenafly — 56 — Roelof Westervelt House
This house is a fine example of Dutch Colonial architecture. The south wing of the house was built by Roelof Westervelt in 1745. The land had been purchased by his grandfather, in 1695, from the Lord Proprietores of East Jersey. The central section . . . — Map (db m7210) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Tenafly — 55 — The Christie-Parsels House
Stands on land purchased by William P. Christie for 500 pounds for 100 acres. In 1804 he built his home. Following his sudden death, in order to be fair to the many heirs, the house and the land were sold at auction to three buyers. In 1836 Samuel . . . — Map (db m7209) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Tenafly — The Tenafly Railroad Station
Built in 1872 when George Huyler donated the land and a third of the cost. Residents and the Northern Railroad of New Jersey shared equally in the balance. Designed in High Victorian Gothic by Architect Daniel T. Atwood, the station opened in 1874 . . . — Map (db m7211) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Teterboro — 57 — Teterboro AirportEstablished 1920
The home of Gates Flying Circus. Teterboro built Fokker tri-motors flown by Richard E. Byrd over the North Pole (1926); South Pole (1929); Atlantic (1927); and by Amelia Earhart over Atlantic (1928). Clarence Chamberlin, Ruth Nichols, Floyd Bennett, . . . — Map (db m6863) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Upper Saddle River — 117 — Hopper-Goetschius House
Abraham Hopper built a “new stone house” here (the west wing) in 1739, according to surveyor Charles Clinton. The rest is late 18th century. About 1813 it was bought by the Rev. Stephen Goetschius (1752 – 1837), pastor of Old Stone . . . — Map (db m29905) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Upper Saddle River — 58 — Saddle River Reformed Church and Cemetery
Known as The Old Stone Church It has been ministering to this area since 1784. The present structure of native stone was completed in 1819. Buried here are: The Rev. Stephen Goetschius minister 1819-1835 The Rev. Dr. Isaac Van Kampen minister . . . — Map (db m29899) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Upper Saddle River — 116 — Slave Cemetery
Known by this name for generations, it once was part of the Hopper family farm. Believed to have been a burial ground for slaves and freed blacks, there once were many stones, most without marks. In 1910, the surviving stones with inscriptions were . . . — Map (db m29909) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Washington Township — 59 — Seven Chimneys
Oldest house in Washington Township, built by Nicholas Zabriskie about 1750. Wings added after 1770 and second story frame raised above original native sandstone in 1812. Tradition says house was an Underground Railway depot for escaping slaves . . . — Map (db m43780) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Westwood — 118 — Site of Bogert’s Mill
Near here on Musquapsink Brook stood the earliest grist mill in Pascack built 1734 by Rev. Johannes Bernardus Van Dierren, a Lutheran Pastor. In 1765 it was purchased by Isaac Bogert and owned by his descendants until destroyed by fire in 1910. . . . — Map (db m43779) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Woodcliff Lake — 60 — Peter P. Post House
This sandstone and frame house was built about 1794 by Peter P. Post, a third generation miller from Pompton, who settled here in 1789 and operated a gristmill along nearby Bear Brook. Later owners included the Abraham J. Demarest family who were . . . — Map (db m43841) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Wood-Ridge — 120 — Brinkerhoff House
Located in old “Polifly”, George Brinkerhoff built this house about 1792 on a 200 acre farm he purchased in 1784. Owned in 1806 by son Henry G. and in 1849 by his son, Enoch, a N.J. Assemblyman. In the 1870’s, great-grandson Henry E. . . . — Map (db m6865) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Wyckoff — 61 — Stagg Homestead
Erected about 1812 by John C. Stagg on site of earlier building owned by his father, Cornelius Stagg, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. The basement was operated as a grocery store for many years by John C. Stagg. His son, Albert, sold to Richard . . . — Map (db m12404) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Wyckoff — 122 — Van Voorhees – Quackenbush – Zabriskie House
Built in 1824 by Albert Van Voorhees, this Federal home replaced his earlier house. The land, owned by father William since 1720, was called “Wikehoff”. Albert, a veteran of the Revolution and a Justice, deeded the new home to grandson . . . — Map (db m12407) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Wyckoff — 121 — Wyckoff Reformed ChurchBuilt 1806
Once known as the Reformed Dutch Church of Wyckoff, this was the first church to be erected in the Township. It was established by members of Ponds Church at Oakland who lived in this area. They constructed the building of local stone and timber on . . . — Map (db m12403) HM

New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 81 — Bank House
Erected about 1831 by the Washington Banking Company. The first bank in present Bergen County, it opened in the nearby Mansion House in 1825-26. After the bank failed in 1833, it housed the offices of prominent lawyers and judges. Later the home of . . . — Map (db m6817) HM

New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — Camp Merritt Memorial
In memory of those soldiers who gave their lives for their country while on duty in Camp Merritt. This monument marks the center of the camp and faces the highway over which more than a million American soldiers passed on their way to and from . . . — Map (db m7496) HM

New Jersey (Bergen County), Teaneck — Brett Park / New Bridge AreaHackensack River Greenway through Teaneck — Hackensack River Stories
Site of:Hackensack Indian Village, and The Real George Washington Bridge This 10½ acre park named after Teaneck Mayor and open space advocate Clarence “Jim” Brett is one of the most historically significant site in Teaneck, indeed . . . — Map (db m40228) HM

New Jersey (Bergen County), Little Ferry — Gethsemane Cemetery
Purchase in 1860 for the “coloured population of Hackensack” and in 1901 incorporated by African-American Trustees as the Gethsemane Cemetery. The one acre lot has about 500 interments of free blacks, former slaves as well as a number of . . . — Map (db m43693) HM

138 markers matched your search criteria. These linguistically-based search results have been ranked by where matching words were found. Results of different rank are separated by horizontal rules. Within the same rank, results are sorted by state or province; county, parish or shire; town; and title.
Paid Advertisement