Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Detroit, Michigan Historical Markers

 
Marker detail: <i>S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald</i> Forward Cabins <br>c. 1960 image, Touch for more information
Detroit Historical Society Collection
Marker detail: S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald Forward Cabins
c. 1960
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald
The S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald known as one of the largest ships on the Great Lakes, passed by this location transporting taconite iron ore to ports in Detroit, Toledo and beyond. November 10, 2015 marked 40 years since this 729-foot . . . — Map (db m120848) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald1958 - 1975
The flagship of the Oglesbay-Norton fleet sailed for 6,857 days on the Great Lakes carrying iron ore to feed the steel mills of Michigan and Ohio. She was built at the Great Lakes Engineering Works at River Rouge, Michigan- Nine miles west of here. . . . — Map (db m120859) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S665 — The Detroit Free Press
Older than the state of Michigan, the Detroit Free Press began publishing as the Democratic Free Press and Michigan Intelligencer May 5, 1831. The Free Press supported the drive for statehood, helped establish the Associated . . . — Map (db m91347) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 19th U. S. Infantry
In memory of our deceased comrades of the 19th U.S. Infantry and other Regts. Erected by the 19th U.S. Inf. Veteran Assn. — Map (db m14118) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Alpheus S. Williams
Major General Alpheus Starkey Williams. 1810-1878. Hero of two wars. Judge. Editor. Postmaster. Diplomat. Member of Congress. An untiring servant of the people. An honor to the City of Detroit. The Michigan Commandery of the Military Order of the . . . — Map (db m26616) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L388 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1839 a group of black Detroit citizens formed the Colored Methodist Society, which became the core of the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. The group held meetings in a hall which was donated by the Detroit Common Council. The Society . . . — Map (db m32496) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S609 — Bishop's Residence
Side 1 This Tudor Revival residence was constructed in the mid-1920s. The Boston architectural firm of Maginnis and Walsh designed the house for the Catholic bishop of Detroit during the tenure of Michael J. Gallagher. Its ecclesiastical . . . — Map (db m120913) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L535 — Central United Methodist Church
Lewis Cass, governor of the Territory of Michigan, approved a constitution for the First Methodist Episcopal Society May 17, 1822. This church, a direct successor, was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd. It was completed in 1867 by the combined efforts of . . . — Map (db m42313) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0687 — Chapman Abraham / Jewish Soldiers in the Civil War
(front side):Chapman Abraham During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), the British took Canada from France and with it possession of French forts in the western Great Lakes region, including Detroit. The post remained an important . . . — Map (db m33485) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S325 — Charles Lang Freer House / Merrill-Palmer Institute
Charles Lang Freer House Detroit industrialist Charles Lang Freer prospered primarily as a railroad car manufacturer. This house, considered Michigan's finest example of the Shingle Style, was designed by Wilson Eyre Jr. of Philadelphia and . . . — Map (db m84630) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S280 — Chicago Road
The Great Sauk Trail, the most important Indian trail in the Great Lakes region, was used later by French explorers, fur traders, missionaries, and soldiers. After the 1760's the trail became a major road for British and American travelers. In the . . . — Map (db m42298) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Comerica IncorporatedMichigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Comerica Incorporated Founded in 1849 For more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for contribution to the . . . — Map (db m91682) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S358 — David Whitney, Jr. Residence
This mansion was once described as "an American palace enjoying the distinction of being the most pretentious modern home in the state and one of the most elaborate houses in the west." David Whitney, Jr. (1830-1900), its owner, was one of the . . . — Map (db m84641) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L1207 — Detroit Association of Women's Clubs
The Detroit Association of Colored Women's Clubs was organized on April 8, 1921, with eight clubs. This association reached its peak membership in 1945 with 73 clubs and 3,000 members. Affiliated with the Michigan and National Associations of . . . — Map (db m84638) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Detroit Free PressMichigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Detroit Free Press Founded in 1831 For more than 150 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for contribution to the . . . — Map (db m91356)
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Detroit River HeritageRiver History
For centuries, Native People used the Detroit River for travel, trade, and food. From 1701 to the mid-19th century, French, British, and American settlers used the River the same way. After 1870, companies that processed steel, chemicals, . . . — Map (db m33419) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Detroit Spanish American War Monument
Front:Cuba Porto Rico Erected by the people of Wayne County in commemoration of the services of her volunteer sons in the Army, Navy and Marine Corps of the United States during the war with Spain 1898-1902 Reverse: China . . . — Map (db m26655) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Detroit's Underground Railway Station
This tablet marks the site of Detroit's "Underground Railway Station"

A large brick building known as "The Finney House Barn," was located here and used as a depot for helping slaves gain freedom into Canada from 1833 until the Civil . . . — Map (db m91616) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Edwin Denby Enlistment
Edwin Denby Enlisted on this spot 26 April 1917 As Private, U.S.M.C. — Map (db m42315) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 453 — Elmwood CemeteryMichigan Registered Historic Site
In 1846 when this was a farm on the outskirts of Detroit, a group of gentlemen formed a corporation and purchased the land for use as a public cemetery. The trustees patterned the grounds after Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and . . . — Map (db m21845) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0069 — Finney Barn
Seymour Finney conducted one of the principal passenger depots of the underground railroad in the Detroit area. Finney, a tailor by trade, later became a hotel-keeper, and it was in this capacity that he assisted fugitive slaves in the era prior to . . . — Map (db m41190) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L329 — First Congregational Church of Detroit
In 1801, David Bacon and his wife Alice made the first attempt to establish Congregationalism in Detroit. Sent by a Connecticut Congregational society, the Bacons failed in their efforts to build a mission. It was not until 1844 that the First . . . — Map (db m84643) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0288 — First Michigan Colored Regiment
The First Michigan Colored Regiment was organized at Camp Ward, which originally stood at this location. Formed from August through October 1863, a year of draft riots and protests against the war, this Negro regiment consisted entirely of . . . — Map (db m14889) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L497 — First Unitarian Universalist Church
Perry W. McAdow and his wife Clara built this elaborate mansion in 1891. The McAdows, who had earned their fortune in the gold mines of Montana, lived here from 1891 to 1897. The house continued as a private residence until 1913, when it was sold to . . . — Map (db m84642) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 727 — Ford Building
Among Detroit’s first skyscrapers, the nineteen-story Ford Building was built between 1907 and 1909. The Chicago architectural firm Daniel H. Burnham and Company designed it and two other Detroit buildings, the Majestic and the Dime. One of the . . . — Map (db m90780) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S635 — Ford Hunger March
On March 7, 1932, in the midst of the depression, unemployed autoworkers, their families, and union organizers braved bitter cold temperatures and gathered at this bridge, intent on marching to the Ford Rouge Plant and presenting a list of demands . . . — Map (db m147218) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L0594 — Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company was incorporated as an automobile manufacturer on June 16, 1903. The articles of incorporation were drawn up and signed in the office of Alexander Y. Malcolmson, who operated a coal yard once located on this site. Henry Ford gave . . . — Map (db m33525) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 71 — Fort LernoultRegistered Michigan Historic Site
This marks the site of the southwest bastion of Fort Lernoult. It was here, on July 11, 1796, that the American flag was first flown over Detroit. the fort was built by the British in 1778-79 to protect Detroit against possible attack by George . . . — Map (db m21736) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 27 — Fort Pontchartrain
The first permanent French settlement in the Detroit region was built on this site in 1701. The location was recommended by Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, who wished to move the fur trade center south from Michilimackinac. Cadillac's plan was . . . — Map (db m21853) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L101 — Fort Street Presbyterian Church
Second Presbyterian Church was organized in 1849 by the Reverend Robert K. Kellogg and twenty-six charter members. The present limestone building, dedicated in 1855, was designed by Octavius and Albert Jordan in Gothic Revival style. Renamed in 1859 . . . — Map (db m91345) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0182 — Fort Wayne
No hostile shots have ever been fired from this star-shaped fort built in the 1840s to guard against a British invasion from Canada which never came. This third bastion to protect the river approach to the city was named for General "Mad" Anthony . . . — Map (db m14292) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0224 — Frederick Douglass - John Brown meeting
In the home of William Webb, 200 feet north of this spot, two famous American's met several Detroit Negro residents on March 12, 1859, to discuss methods of abolishing American Negro slavery. John Brown (1800-1859), fiery antislavery leader, . . . — Map (db m82809) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0464 — Gabriel Richard
Father Gabriel Jacques Richard, S. S., (1767-1832) -- pastor, educator and public servant -- arrived in Detroit in 1798. In 1802 he became the pastor of Ste. Anne Church. He brought a printing press to the area and in 1809 printed Michigan's first . . . — Map (db m14879) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Gen. O. M. Poe Post No. 433
1923. This tablet is dedicated to Gen. O. M. Poe Post No. 433, Grand Army of the Republic, by its auxiliary, Gen. Poe Woman's Relief Corps No. 8. "Not for selfish gain or applause, but for honor and the glory of the cause they did that which will . . . — Map (db m26657) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — General Casimir Pulaski1748-1779
This monument to General Casimir Pulaski, who on Oct. 11, 1779 gave his life at Savannah, Georgia, in the cause of America independence, is a gift to the city of Detroit from the Central Citizens Committee in behalf of 400,000 Americans of Polish . . . — Map (db m21877) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0452 — George DeBaptiste Homesite
George DeBaptiste, a long-time Mason, and one of Detroit's most active and impassioned black community leaders, lived on this site during the 1850s and 60s. Born in Virginia about 1815, he moved to Madison, Indiana in 1838 and became involved in the . . . — Map (db m14479) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 473 — Germantown
Fleeing political unrest in their homeland, Germans began arriving in Detroit during the 1830s. Lured by state of Michigan recruiting pamphlets, German musicians, teachers and professionals joined increasing numbers of immigrants in Detroit. By . . . — Map (db m42263) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront HistorySt. Aubin Park Riverwalk
Stone 1: St. Aubin Park Riverwalk Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront History This walk made possible by: Friends of Partners Detroit Recreation Department Dedicated July 1969 Stone 2: The Many Names of . . . — Map (db m33975) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Grand Army of the Republic
There are now forty-eight reasons why we will always remember the Grand Army of the Republic. Erected by Department of Michigan, Woman's Relief Corps, auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. Dedicated November, 1948. — Map (db m26656) WM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Grand Army of the Republic Building
Memorial to the Soldiers and Sailors of 1861-1865 — Map (db m14144) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Henry the HatterMichigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Henry the Hatter. Founded in 1893, for more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for contributing to the economic growth and . . . — Map (db m42316) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L1037 — Hilberry Theatre
This structure was completed in 1917 for the First Church of Christ, Scientist. Field, Hinchman and Smith - predecessor to the architectural firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls - designed it in a Classical Roman Ionic style. In 1961 Wayne State . . . — Map (db m84482) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 504 — James A. Bailey
Circus entrepreneur James A. McGinnis was born near this site on July 4, 1847. At fourteen he joined a circus and adopted the name "Bailey". Developing a striking talent for advertising and management, he bought the Cooper & Bailey Shows which . . . — Map (db m90963) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L1565 — Lewis College of Business
This Colonial Revival structure was built in 1910 for James F. Murphy, Treasurer of the Murphy Chair Company and a future director of the Murphy-Potter Company. In 1941 it became the office of the Lewis College of Business. Violet T. Lewis had . . . — Map (db m84637) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S514 — Mackenzie House
This 1895 Queen Anne style house, designed by Malcolmson & Higginbotham, was the home of David Mackenzie. Educator, scholar, and humanitarian, Mackenzie fostered higher education for Detroit students. While principal of Central High School, then . . . — Map (db m84284) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — HB11 — Mariners' Church
In 1842, according to the will of Julia Ann Anderson, Mariners' Church was organized to serve the spiritual needs of Great Lakes seamen. Anderson had come to Detroit in 1818 with her husband, John, a brevet lieutenant colonel with the U.S. . . . — Map (db m42295) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S074 — Michigan's First Capitol/Capitol Union School

Michigan's First Capitol At noon on September 22, 1823, citizens and dignitaries joined a Masonic procession to place the cornerstone for the capitol of the Michigan Territory on this site. The red brick building, designed by Obed Walt, . . . — Map (db m91622) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S592 — Motown
Side 1 The "Motown Sound" was created on this site from 1959 to 1972. The company was started with an $800 loan from the savings club of the Bertha and Berry Gordy, Sr., family. Originally called Tamla Records, the company's first national . . . — Map (db m84958) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Music Hall
Originally called the Wilson Theatre, this building was completed in 1928 with funds provided by Matilda Wilson (Mrs. Alfred G.), William E. Kapp of Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, an architectural firm whose works dominated the city's skyline of the . . . — Map (db m91730) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L485 — Omega Psi Phi
This Victorian structure built in the early 1890s houses the Detroit chapter of the first national Greek letter fraternity established at a Negro University. Omega Psi Phi was founded in 1911 at Howard University in Washington D.C. The Greek letters . . . — Map (db m84636) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Perry's Victory
Perry's Victory in Lake Erie Sept. 18, 1813 — Map (db m14365) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Peter Wetherill Stroh
Peter Wetherill Stroh (1927-2002) was a Detroit business leader, civic activist and philanthropist. A great grandson of the founder of The Stroh Brewery Company, he became Chairman and CEO of the family business while at the same time maintaining a . . . — Map (db m33469) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S529 — Police Radio Dispatch
During the early twentieth century, Detroit police and their criminal foes both adopted the automobile as their preferred means of transportation. To regain an advantage, Detroit police pioneered a novel use for radio. In 1921, under Commissioner . . . — Map (db m106391) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S658 — Ransom Eli Olds
In Lansing, on August 21, 1897, Ransom E. Olds (1864-1950) founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, the precursor to Oldsmobile. He produced four vehicles that year. In 1899, Olds relocated to Detroit, opening the Olds Motor Works on West Jefferson . . . — Map (db m14362) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S563 — Robert Pauli Scherer
Robert Pauli Scherer (1906-1960) was a native of Detroit and a graduate of Detroit's public schools. In 1930, at the age of twenty-four, he invented the rotary die encapsulation machine in a workshop located in the basement of this structure. The . . . — Map (db m84640) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L332 — Scarab Club
Founded in 1907, the Scarab Club is one of Michigan's oldest arts organizations. Originally called the Hopkin Club after Detroit marine painter Robert Hopkin, it was renamed in 1913. The scarab, an Egyptian symbol of rebirth, represents the clubs . . . — Map (db m84639) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Second Baptist Church
Founded in 1836 by thirteen former slaves, the is the oldest black congregation in Michigan. From its beginnings the church has occupied a prominent place in Detroit's black community. In 1839 it established the city's first school for black . . . — Map (db m102493) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Second Baptist Church Underground Railroad Site
Second Baptist Church Underground Railroad Site Fort Street Stations 1836-1854 1854-1857 Croghan (Monroe) Street Station 1857-1865 — Map (db m102494) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S552C — Shrine Circus
Near this site, on February 26, 1906, some 3,000 spectators watched the nation's first Shrine Circus. Detroit's Moslem Shrine temple's one-ring show was the beginning of a major fund-raising venture for Shrine temples throughout the country. In 1907 . . . — Map (db m23804) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
Erected by the people of Michigan in honor of the martyrs who fell and the heroes who fought in defense of liberty and union. — Map (db m26658) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines
In memory of our Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines — Map (db m26651) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Spirit of Detroit
The inscription on the symbol wall is from II Corinthians, 3:17 "Now the Lord is that spirit and where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." The sculpture by Marshall Fredericks was designed to continue the thought conveyed by the . . . — Map (db m42317) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 333 — St. Albertus Church
Polish immigrants arrived in Detroit as early as the 1850s, but not until the Reverend Simon Wieczorek founded St. Albertus Roman Catholic Parish in 1872, did their community have a center. In 1885 the present Gothic Revival building replaced the . . . — Map (db m67632) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L1781 — St. John's Presbyterian Church
On April 27, 1919, thirty-nine people met in the First Presbyterian Church on Woodward Avenue and organized St. John's Presbyterian Church. Reverend John W. Lee, a field missionary, led the formation of the church to serve Detroit's growing black . . . — Map (db m106394) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L0686A — St. Mary's Church
St. Mary's parish was founded by Father Martin Kundig in 1835 for the German-speaking Catholics in Detroit and is the third oldest Catholic parish in the city. The cornerstone for the original church was laid on the feast of Corpus Christi, June 19, . . . — Map (db m92850) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — St. Mary's Rectory
Constructed in 1876, this North Italian Banded Romanesque structure was designed by Swiss architect Julius Hess. It is the second rectory building of the St. Mary's parish, which was organized in 1835 under the leadership of Father Martin Kundig . . . — Map (db m101637) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — St. Mary's School
This structure, designed by Pius Daubner, was completed in 1868. It is one of the oldest Catholic school buildings in the state and the third in the history of St. Mary's. At the first school, built in 1844, laymen were the original instructors. In . . . — Map (db m102491) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 536 — State Savings Bank
Completed in 1900, this is Michigan's preeminent example of design by the internationally renowned architects, McKim, Mead and White of New York. The three-story Neoclassical structure features a white marble exterior with bronze window units. Among . . . — Map (db m42265) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Statue of Abraham Lincoln
Let man be free. — Map (db m26788) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0464 — Ste. Anne Church
On July 26, 1701, two days after his arrival, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, founder of Detroit, built a chapel dedicated to Ste. Anne, patron saint of New France. Father Francois Vaillant, a Jesuit, and Father Nicholas Constantine Delhalle, a . . . — Map (db m14878) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S303 — Stearns Telephone
On September 22, 1877, a Bell telephone was installed on this site in the drugstore operated by Frederick Stearns. An iron wire strung along the rooftops connected the store with the Stearns laboratory a half mile away at the foot of Fifth Street. . . . — Map (db m91388) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 70 — The Battle of Bloody RunMichigan Registered Historic Site
Near this site, in late July 1763, the British and Indians fought the fiercest battle of Chief Pontiac's uprising. As Captain James Dalyell led about 260 soldiers across Parent's Creek, the Indians launched a surprise attack which devastated the . . . — Map (db m21846) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Black Presence in Detroit
This hallowed land was early Detroit. First came the Indians, then Cadillac and French settlers with their Black and Indian slaves. These early Blacks were French speaking Catholics with French names. History recorded that our first Black inhabitant . . . — Map (db m33483) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Cadillac Convoy / Le Convoi de Cadillac
(English side) The Cadillac Convoy In recognition of the courage, perseverance and expertise of the French-Canadians who brought Antoine de Lamothe Cadillac to establish the first permanent settlement at Le Détroit du Lac Érié. . . . — Map (db m33687) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S450 — The Detroit News
On August 23, 1873 James E. Scripps began publishing The Evening News, one of the first popular, low-priced evening newspapers in Michigan. The News specialized in short, local, human interest stories. Resolutely independent, it has . . . — Map (db m91352) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The First Capitol Building in Michigan
This corner stone of Michigan's First capitol building was laid September 22, 1823 and the structure was completed five years later. It housed the county courts for a time and later was given over to legislative sessions. The building was burned on . . . — Map (db m91624) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The First Theater in Michigan
This tablet marks the site of the first theatre in Michigan. In the top story of a government warehouse on this site, in the year 1819, was located Michigan’s first theatre. Amateur performances were given by officers stationed at Fort . . . — Map (db m41849) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Ford Hunger MarchMarch 7, 1932
Approximately 3,000 unemployed workers and labor activists braved bitterly cold weather and mobilized in Oakwood on March 7, 1932, for the first Ford Hunger March. The men and women crossed the old Fort Street drawbridge chanting and . . . — Map (db m146711) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Gateway to FreedomEd Dwight - Sculptor
Until Emancipation, Detroit and the Detroit River community served as the gateway to freedom for thousands of African American people escaping enslavement. Detroit was one of the largest terminals of the Underground Railroad, a network of . . . — Map (db m33459) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S473 — The Harmonie Club
Detroit's oldest musical association, the Harmonie Society, was founded in 1849 by German immigrants who wished to meet and sing Lieder (German art songs). The society's first building, Harmonie Hall, was constructed in 1874 at the corner of . . . — Map (db m42262) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Iron Brigade / The Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment
(side 1) The Iron Brigade The Iron Brigade became one of the most celebrated military units of the American Civil War (1861-1865). It was composed of five volunteer infantry regiments (2nd, 6th & 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, and . . . — Map (db m42264) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0515 — The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac
The Landing of Cadillac (English side) After departing Montreal June 5, 1701, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac and his convoy of 25 canoes sailed down this river and on the evening of July 23 camped 16 miles below the present city of Detroit on . . . — Map (db m33522) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S646 — The Salvation Army
Founded by William Booth in London, England. The Salvation Army came to Michigan in 1883. When organizing the Detroit corps in 1887 Captain Fink wrote to her British superiors: "This is the Metropolis of Michigan … a beautiful city, but oh, the sin . . . — Map (db m23805) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L358 — Thompson Home
This Victorian structure was completed in 1884. It was named for wealthy Detroit businessman David Thompson. In his will Thompson instructed his wife Mary to use part of his estate to found a charitable institution. She commissioned George DeWitt . . . — Map (db m84419) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — HB11 — U.S. Topographical Engineers
When Michigan became a state in 1837, the Detroit office of the U.S. Topographical Engineers was headquartered on this site. The topographical engineers helped transform Michigan from a wilderness into a prosperous state. They also played a vital . . . — Map (db m42294) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S72 — University of Michigania
The Catholepistemiad, or university, of Michigania resided in a building near this site from 1818 to 1837. Conceived of by the Reverend John Montieth, Father Gabriel Richard and Judge Augustus Woodward, the university was established by territorial . . . — Map (db m23662) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Veterans' Memorial Building
The Veterans Memorial Building, completed in 1950, stands as a monument to those Detroiters who gave their lives and services in war for our country. It was the first of the civic center’s buildings to be erected. The soaring carved marble eagle . . . — Map (db m42266) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 242 — War of 1812 DeadRegistered Michigan Historic Site
Hardship struck soon after American troops regained Detroit on Sept. 29, 1813, during the War of 1812. Soldiers' quarters were lacking, and food supplies became desperately short. Then a disease resembling cholera broke out among the soldiers. By . . . — Map (db m21745) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 116 — Wayne State University
Here in the Central High building completed in 1896 was founded in 1917 Detroit Junior College, from which grew a College of Liberal Arts. It united with other colleges, some begun here and some bearing notable histories in other parts of the city, . . . — Map (db m84262) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S311 — West Canfield Historic District
Side 1 In 1813, Territorial Governor Lewis Cass purchased the Macomb farm. By 1818 he had acquired "80 arpents in depth" of land extending almost three miles inland from the Detroit River in the form of a narrow French ribbon farm. Cass . . . — Map (db m133652) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Woodward Avenue Cultural Heritage TourCampus Martius
In the earliest days of Detroit, Campus Martius, which means "military ground," served as a drill ground for militia. When Judge Augustus Woodward created his street plan for Detroit in 1807, he began at Campus Martius.

Campus Martius . . . — Map (db m91452) HM

91 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020